Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#1251 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:54

Speaking of Surfer's Paradise, I thought I should post this link here rather than start a new thread as this should be of most interest to those who frequent this thread.

Here is a link to a video of the full 1968 Surfer's Paradise Tasman Series race. It is 839MB so it is not something that all of us will be able to download, and it will take me a few hours, and I'm on cable. 1hr and 16 min apparently, in b&w.
http://forum.rscnet....ad.php?t=305673

Advertisement

#1252 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 22:32

Just thought I would bring this forward for any newcomers. Scroll through the photographs and enjoy a new world. Usual disclaimer.
Roger Lund.

#1253 giffo

giffo

• 275 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:42

Two pic's from the mid 70's @ Wanneroo
Posted Image
Image from Terry Smith

Posted Image
Image from Terry Smith

This is likely to be the 79 AGP at Wanneroo
Posted Image
Image from Terry Smith

#1254 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:23

The second picture is the AGP. First event with the pits and startline down the bottom of the hill?

First picture looks like about 76 or 77.

last pic is about 76 aswell I think?????????????????

Nivola

#1255 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:22

The next photo Terry Smith took after the one of the start of the AGP should be a doosy!

And you're right that the first pic isn't the AGP, nivola... McCormack in the MR5, that might even be 1974 or '75. There was one meeting I recall that the Ansett Team went over there on an F5000 demo run.

#1256 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:56

Vern Schuppan and John McCormack in 1976?

#1257 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:00

hmmm over christmas I may have to get the old mans slides out of the AGP

#1258 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:14

Looks like we are going modern.here is the field of 5000s in March 1976 going up the esses what a great
meeting.

tp://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1259 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:48

The meeting was the "WA Formula One Championship".

2 x 15 lap races and a 10-lap reverse grid.

race 1:

1 2 Matich A53-Repco John Goss 56.0 14:27.1
2 5 Lola T400-Chev Kevin Bartlett 56.0 14:27.3
3 12 Elfin MR8-Chev Vern Schuppan 55.2 14:30.1
4 14 Lola T332-Chev Graeme Lawrence 55.4 14:45.4
5 1 Elfin MR6-Repco John McCormack 58.0 14:45.5
6 15 Lola T332-Chev Terry Hook 58.0 14:48.1
7 25 Lola T332-Chev John Walker 55.8 14:23.7 12 laps
DNF 16 Lola T400-Chev Max Stewart 63.6

Race 2

1 25 Lola T332-Chev John Walker 55.2 13:56.0
2 2 Matich A53-Repco John Goss 55.0 13:56.3
3 14 Lola T332-Chev Graeme Lawrence 54.4 14:00.7
4 5 Lola T400-Chev Kevin Bartlett 56.2 14:36.8
5 1 Elfin MR6-Repco John McCormack 57.6 13:57.4 14 laps
6 15 Lola T332-Chev Terry Hook 58.0 14:21.1 14 laps
DNF 16 Lola T400-Chev Max Stewart 58.0
DNF 12 Elfin MR8-Chev Vern Schuppan 55.0

Race 3:

1 5 Lola T400-Chev Kevin Bartlett 55.2 9:18.5
2 12 Elfin MR8-Chev Vern Schuppan 54.6 9:18.8
3 25 Lola T332-Chev John Walker 54.2 9:19.3
4 1 Elfin MR6-Repco John McCormack 56.0 9:35.1
5 14 Lola T332-Chev Graeme Lawrence 54.2 9:42.1
6 15 Lola T332-Chev Terry Hook 58.2 9:37.4 9 laps

Advertisement

#1260 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:22

It was one-off event, probably part of the programme for securing the 1979 AGP. Points scores were 20 15 12 10 8 6 4 3 2 1

Bartlett 45 points
Walker 42 points
Lawrence 33 points
Schuppan 27 points
MCCormack 26 points
Goss 20 points
Hook 18 points.

(edited: changed Matich to Goss - Goss was driving a Matich...)

#1261 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:14

That last picture must be Race 2...

Before Vern dropped out. That will be him running in secod ahead of Goss, Lawrence, Bartlett, a gap to McCormack and Stewart.

KB might or might not confirm this, but these kind of races were sort of rigged to make them look exciting. Order in the first corner was the order at the finish, with a bit of passing and repassing along the way. That's how they did it at Amaroo Park anyway.

#1262 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:36

Why was that, Ray - dangerous circuit?

#1263 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:52

Basically because they were expensive to run and even more expensive to crash...

So they'd put on a show (it was very realistic when I saw it at Amaroo) and have a bit of fun, knock the lap record around and then settle down to the correct finishing order. I think John McCormack didn't like the game, however.

It was a good way to introduce spectators who normally never saw these cars to them at their 'best' too. But for realism you needed a Gold Star race on slicks at a wet Phillip Island. That really sorted the men from the boys.

#1264 GAH

GAH

• 36 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 20:36

Hello:

I'm writing an article for a vintage race magazine on the Magnolia Climax Sports Racing Car built by a group including Gavin Sandford-Morgan. The project began in the late 1950's but wasn't completed until the mid-1960's. I'm in search of action photos of the car taken during the period of 1965 to the early 1980's when the car was raced in Australia. Thanks.

Gary

#1265 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 21:05

I'd suggest you take the following steps:

1. Send a PM to kaydee and ask if he has any.

2. Start a new thread with 'Magnolia-Climax' as the title.

#1266 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:10

Another shot at the same meeting.unfortunatly these early colour shots were not brilliant.the shots were
all taken from the top of the esses with a 400mm lens.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1267 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:25

H'mmm

The start-line photo by Terry Smith must be '73, the Indian Pacific Plate at Wanneroo Park, as there are no other F5000s visible, and the yellow nose wing just visible to the right is almost certainly Bob Ilich's Brabham, and both Elfins look like MR5s - but I'm no authority on the MR5.

Snag is, there is a comment on the official results that the Plate races started from the Repco Straight (where the start-finish line is now), not the original Pit Straight start line at the top of the hill, as shown in the pic.

Definitely not the same cars as in the Ken Devine photos.

#1268 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:16

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Yes, well...

Quote:
The top pic I reckon is at Terry le Mays workshop. Probably John Alford on left , then Jeff, Terry (the big bloke, don’t know the next guy and I “think” the little guy on the right is Doug Mould who drove the sports car class Mini with the holes in it. Johns car was 1100cc and Jeffs obviously 1300cc, they ran a Mini in each class. There was an under 1100cc in that era, then 1100 to 1300cc. All three magnificent drivers.

The second pic is the Lotus 47, at Wanneroo, originally ( I reckon ) an ex-Gold Leaf Lotus Team car which was at one stage driven by Graham Hill. The car came to WA via a wealthy Malaysian icon, Teddy Yip, and was ultimately bought by Don Hall. It had a number of owners/drivers, but I reckon at that stage it was Chris Royston driving it and pictured. Don possibly still owned it then. That car may be now in an Oz collection or may have even gone back to England because of its history, Chris Royston was also a Mini punter, and I’m sure the Shell (WA) Mini in the background is Howie Sangsters (ex-Brian Foley car)……. The “missing” one that needs to be found ???

Great memories………..I’ll pass this on to Ross Bennett …… he’ll definitely be able to confirm.
Unquote

The Mini in the background is Rick Lisle's, at the time prepared by my father. Don't know if it was ex-Foley but don't think so. It had a NT registration sticker on the windscreen if that helps and was later owned by David Hipperson, then I think the Ibbottsons (not sure of this).

#1269 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:23

The two pics are quite an era apart ....the top one at Terrys Shell servo is the LeMay Pillarbox Red and White colour scheme ( could be even on the crossover era between Caversham and Wanneroo Park).

Car 26 is "definitely" the ex-Manton Neptune car of Jeff Dunkerton, Alfords 1100 and Moulds sports car (I'm pretty sure this was pre-sports sedan era). Indeed Briggs ran a sports Mini, not sure if it was the Doug Mould car, though. The second pic is some time later in the Yellow Shell WA colours. I'm still *fairly* sure about the Sangster/Foley link. I seem to recall a story about the one time Foley raced his Mini at Wanneroo, and the deal was that he (Sangster?) would purchase it "straight off the track" if he beat Manton on the day. He did !

I reckon it then became part of the John Harris Racing Team. I think Briggs car also was spannered by John Harris (another legend!)

More when I hear from Ross, he will confirm ...... there were so many minis and names in that era .... Ted and later his son Rick, Jeff Power etc etc ..... they were all good punters too!
UNQUOTE

The Briggs car was indeed the ex-Mould car, but I believe Jim Mullins did the prep for him. Harris' team was Nev Grigsby, the Bennett brothers and Trevor Wright plus occasionally Russell Riley and they also did work on several other minis. My father was working for Harris the time after defecting from the LeMay camp.

#1270 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:29

Originally posted by ken devine
The Doug Mould car was written off in a rollover about 72 or 73 which i think put an end to Doug's
carreer.i dont know if the car was rebuilt.Peter Briggs did run a lightweight Mini.A Foley Mini was raced at
Caversham by a local driver.

The rollover was in practice for the '71 6hr LeMans. In those days practice was Saturday and the race was on the Monday public holiday. The car was reshelled over the Saturday night and Sunday and made it to the start, deseamed, painted, holes in all the right places etc. All all respects looking as if it never happened. Dad and the LeMay Team did the entire job in about 30 hours, including paint, and tested it up and down inner city Fitgerald St in the wee small hours of Monday morning, as was often the practice in those days. (The ex-Beechey Monaro must've been a sight to behold at full song late at night in "testing"). Doug did retire from the sport soon after.

#1271 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:04

10 minutes ago confirmed the guy to the right of Terry is Kim McGill, John Alfords B.I.L and pitcrewman.

Sangster "definitely" purchased the Foley car at the last meeting at Caversham in 68. He ran solo, not in any particular team, and Howie ultimately drove for Don O'Sullivan in the Lola T70 (for a very short time alternated between the Mini and the Lola at the same meeting).

Unknown where that car ended up?? Peter Briggs ran a Mini as a closed sports (with some wierd concoction of a rear axle...sort of a cross between a beam axle and a Watts linkage) but in no particular team. The John Harris team was Neville Grigsby, Rick Lisle and the Bennett brothers (Ross and Mal). The Alford car went to Liz and Eric Payne, then Murray Davies, then to Denny Cunnold as a Nb Historic. Denny still has the car and is currently restoring it in his retirement to do a few Historic runs. Dunkertons ex-Manton Neptune car actually went to me (my first mini) and now is in Sydney nearly restored (with log-book).

Regards Al
UNQUOTE

Rick Lisle may have run with the Harris team very early on, but my memory is initially of him as part of LeMay's equipe, then as a privateer with Dad on the spanners. Of course, as his father's 's' was prepped by Don Reimann, he may have initially had some involvement too.

#1272 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,945 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:37

Originally posted by Haggis 2

The Mini in the background is Rick Lisle's, at the time prepared by my father. Don't know if it was ex-Foley but don't think so. It had a NT registration sticker on the windscreen if that helps and was later owned by David Hipperson, then I think the Ibbottsons (not sure of this).

Thanks Haggis...I sent Al a PM about you commenting on his comments (if ya get my drift)...hopefully, he will get back on here after the hols.

re David Hipperson...any idea how to contact him?? moved to the UK??

In the interim...heres something to watch :wave:

#1273 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:37

The Briggs car was indeed the ex-Mould car, but I believe Jim Mullins did the prep for him. Harris' team was Nev Grigsby, the Bennett brothers and Trevor Wright plus occasionally Russell Riley and they also did work on several other minis. My father was working for Harris the time after defecting from the LeMay camp.

Checking my records, I'm now not so sure the Briggs car was the Mould car, but it looks so similar I think it must be. Pretty sure the car then changed hands from Briggs to the Bennett brothers who ran it for years in Leyland blue and white livery, originally as part of Harris's group (they were never really a team - I suppose "stable" is an appropriate term).

While in Briggs hands I also think Mullins may have been original mechanic, but definately LeMay stable looked after the car for most of Briggs ownership... which was only brief as he soon took on the original Beechey Monaro.

I have a great B&W pic of the car 3 wheeling through BP (now C-Red) corner in about 1970. When I work out how I'll post it.

#1274 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:41

Thanks Haggis...I sent Al a PM about you commenting on his comments (if ya get my drift)...hopefully, he will get back on here after the hols.

re David Hipperson...any idea how to contact him?? move to the UK??

In the interim...heres something to watch :wave:

David moved to Melbourne in the late 70's. He was involved with Frank Baden-Powells theatre company. I think my brother came into contact with him recently. I'll check and post details if any.

Thanks for the link, and all the great posts. I've lurked here for months but only just signed up.

#1275 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:07

As promised, here is the Briggs lightweight Cooper S 1970 or 71 6 hr I think.

Posted Image

#1276 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:14

I think you hit the wrong line: it's best to use the first line in the second batch, below the adsvertisements, and click off the check box.

At one stage Briggs was running a Mini with a crossflow head, with two twin-choke Webers poking through the front of the bonnet. I had a photo of it somewhere.

#1277 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:33

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I think you hit the wrong line: it's best to use the first line in the second batch, below the adsvertisements, and click off the check box.

At one stage Briggs was running a Mini with a crossflow head, with two twin-choke Webers poking through the front of the bonnet. I had a photo of it somewhere.

Hi Terry,

All fixed now.... but came out rather small!

The cross flow head Mini was Ray Thackwell's prior to his Porsche days. The car was later owned by Peter Doney. I had a chance meeting with Jim Mullins son, John, recently through my business. He told me a story about the cross flow head being stolen leading up to a championship round and raised some theories about sabotage. I remember the theft, it made the newspaper in the days when local motorsport was considered important enough to occupy editorial space. Apparently the thief got cold feet and it was returned anonymously just in time for the event. There were some characters in the old days, albeit some with questionable behaviour!!! :)

Footnote: Briggs did run a Derrington alloy cross flow head on the MGB for a while, but Dad (who was doing the spanner work at the time) said it gave little if any improvement over the cast iron 5 port head due to very small port sizes with little meat in the casting to do anything about it. In addition, the cross flow 'B head retained it's siamesed centre exhaust port. Gotta wonder what the Poms were thinking of sometimes!

#1278 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:47

Some woeful shots from Surfers Paradise late 1970s...

Posted Image

Did you mean to say "Some woeful shorts"..........

#1279 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:11

As promised, here is the Briggs lightweight Cooper S 1970 or 71 6 hr I think.

Posted Image

And the T70... I'm sure I've seen that pic before...

Advertisement

#1280 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:58

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And the T70... I'm sure I've seen that pic before...

It's a possibility... I scanned it from an old 3' x 5 ' photo from Dad'd collection. He was not a photographer so don't know for sure who took it.... but was told it was Bill Richards, older brother of Alan and Rob (Scimitar Clubman seen in earlier post)

#1281 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 21:40

Well, keep on scanning, Haggis 2...

But when you do, resize pics to about 600 - 700 pics wide. Use Irfanview for that (free downloadable program, download through tucows). And as Terry said, instead of posting a thumbnail, you click on the line below the ads that has 'Hotlink for forums (1)' on it.

Look forward to seeing more. Hopefully some up close and personal stuff.

#1282 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 00:11

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Well, keep on scanning, Haggis 2...

Look forward to seeing more. Hopefully some up close and personal stuff.

Thanks for the tips Ray, I will post some more pics after Christmas.

But for now, I just had to sneak in this as it's been gnawing at me overnight. The Foley mini which Sangster bought was later owned by Wayne Negus if memory serves me right (it took a while for this info to work it's way back into consciousness! LOL). Unfortunately Wayne subsequently ran that car at speedway and it has probably been destroyed, as speedway tends to do!!

#1283 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 00:33

If it's a six-hour, the photo has to be 1969. In 1970 No 17 was Jack Kennedy, and in 1971 No 17 was an XU-1. By 1971, anyway, the Lola had body mods, like rear wheel arch flares. It looks original in the pic.

I always understood Wayne Negus's car was built up from scratch from a Mini Deluxe. It ran with an under-1100 engine, and first appeared at Caversham in May 68, before the Foley car was sold into WA. I have some photos I've just scanned for TNFer Cavvy, which show both the Negus and Foley Minis at the same race meeting, the last ever at Cavvo.

#1284 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 00:34

If my memory serves me correctly i think Wayne Neguses car was built up from a Mini Deluxe,and it was
a lightweight.Iwill see you all in the New Year.we are going to see the lights of Sydney for a few days.

#1285 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 00:48

You could be right regarding which 6hr and also the Negus mini. Next time I see Nev Grigsby or Ross Bennett I'll quiz them some more on it as they are the one's who would most likely know for sure, especially Nev who was close to Negus in the XU1 days when they teamed up for (I think) the '74 Bathurst and ran very well until crashing at the end of conrod.

What about Jim Mullins Mini.... did he bring it with him from NZ or could it have been the Foley car? When he moved on to the Series Prod Charger Karl and Adrian Wigger took over that car. Will check on this with his son.

#1286 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:42

Originally posted by ken devine
If my memory serves me correctly i think Wayne Neguses car was built up from a Mini Deluxe,and it was
a lightweight.Iwill see you all in the New Year.we are going to see the lights of Sydney for a few days.

That's okay, Ken, as long as you come back with more pics!

#1287 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:59

Hmmm it is a nice surprise to see the apendix j footage from my younger days!

Old Col in the tank and stubber chassing hard.

Al was a lucky man that day.

#1288 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 22:12

You could be right regarding which 6hr and also the Negus mini. Next time I see Nev Grigsby or Ross Bennett I'll quiz them some more on it as they are the one's who would most likely know for sure, especially Nev who was close to Negus in the XU1 days when they teamed up for (I think) the '74 Bathurst and ran very well until crashing at the end of conrod.

What about Jim Mullins Mini.... did he bring it with him from NZ or could it have been the Foley car? When he moved on to the Series Prod Charger Karl and Adrian Wigger took over that car. Will check on this with his son.

Did Mullins take over the Ray Thackwell Mini when the Porsche arrived?

#1289 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:54

I thought it might be a nifty move to put faces to some of the names that have been woven into this thread:

Posted Image
Norm Beechey, 1960s.

Posted Image
Lex Davison 1962

Posted Image
Arnold Glass 1962

Posted Image
Peter Manton, late 60s.

Posted Image
Doug Green, West Aust racing car champ c 1960.

More to come.

#1290 Paul Vanderheijden

Paul Vanderheijden

• 65 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:24

:) BTW, Kaydee's post of the Lance Reventlow's Buick powered car brought back memories. The driver Chuck Daigh, much underated, is still with us. He now has a small shop in Costa Mesa, California. His latest effort at age 80+ is to test his own turbo-charged, flathead ford V* powered lakester at El Mirage a few weeks ago. His aim is to personally set a new LSR for a flathead powered vehicle at Bonneville.

Chuck also recently competed at Laguna Seca in a replica of the 1956 Ford T-Bird road racer.

A few years ago he rebuilt from scratch one of the Reventlow desmo engines for a museum. Many of the parts he had to hand make. He of course raced for Reventlow in an early F1 car powered by one of these motors. What a SOUND !!

#1291 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:02

Posted Image
Colin Murray, of Blackpool, at the Australian Grand Prix, Narrogin, Western Australia, 1951

Posted Image
Bib Stillwell, Caversham, 1962

Posted Image
Murray Trenberth from South Australia, at Caversham in the Alta repco-Holden, Caversham, 1961

#1292 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:25

I'll see your Beechey and Manton...

Posted Image

...and raise you a McKeown. This is at the Katoomba Auto Chef, overlooking Catalina Park.

Enough of that, here's a few of the old guys... Bob Jane and Pete Geoghegan inspect Wal Donnelly's work with the Turner, Chermside Caravilla. I think it was November 1965.

Posted Image

One of our most travelled drivers of the sixties, raced almost every weekend somewhere, Glynn Scott at Lakeside:

Posted Image

These are probably all the same meeting, Lakeside November '65 (ATT)... or they may be the following AGP meeting at Lakeside. Frank Gardner was at both:

Posted Image

Back to the Katoomba Auto Chef, Greg Cusack:

Posted Image

Earlier in the year at Sandown, Frank Matich and Jim Clark. That would be Jim Palmer's car in the background, I think it's Ray Parsons back to camera, probably Bruce Richardson obscured by Matich:

Posted Image

Finally, Kevin Bartlett exiting the Peter A Owen TVR Grantura at Catalina:

Posted Image

#1293 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:31

Posted Image
Smart pyjamas! Is that Pete or Bob?

#1294 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:33

Blimey - Pete Geogehgan's pyjamas are cool!

#1295 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:24

A bit of a holiday spruce-up for KB...

Posted Image

#1296 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:32

Love your work, Stuart. :)

#1297 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 14:13

#1298 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 15:03

1972 was the year Grigsby teamed up with Negus for the Hardie Ferodo 500. Negus' car was always entered as a Mini Deluxe in the old days so i assume it was not a Cooper S.

I seem to remember Mullins and Thackwell both had minis. Mullins' was 111 and the Thackwell's was 54. I think Thackwell's became the car Peter Doney had didn't it, which in turn went to Bill Stace. Mullins' went to Graeme Ibbotson/Wigger Brothers and was by then converted to have a clubman front clip and tailights. The car John Alford had I think was the one Liz and Eric Payne had and I think this car survives today, being campaigned in the 80s by Geoff Herbert.

I am not sure what happened to Hipperson's car (ex Lisle) however there was a number 49 Cooper S raced by Doug Kearney and Roland Palmer in mid 1973 which sounds like it could be the ex Hipperson car, however they best they did was high 20s which is awful slow for a car like Hipperson's. I think Bill Stace raced Jeff Power's old car before he bought Doney,s.

Other Minis which were around in the early 70s was Tim Reids Clubman (which I think may have been Ashdown's old one) and Al Munday's quick Cooper S which he began racing in early 1974. Paul Lee raced Trevor Wright's after he sold it I think. Roger Matthews and David Barnes raced a Cooper S from 1974 too. I don't know who's Phil Davenports first mini was, but I suspect it could have been Grigsby's. He was racing that from 72 onwards. John Alford guest drove in it sometimes in 1974.

#1299 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 23:35

check accuracy of this

I worked with a Tim Reid c early/mid 1980's on who had an old clubman mini in his garage that he had raced at Wanneroo he advised that it had a ZF gearbox and other race goodies.
At this point Bill Meeke a Jaguar enthusiats was running a mini in Appendix J and I mentioned tim reid to him and the ZF parts etc and he went all weak at the knees and purchased all the parts but possibly not the car.
Bill Meeke went on to introduce the Falcon Sprint to appendix J

Other Minis which were around in the early 70s was Tim Reids Clubman (which I think may have been Ashdown's old one)

Advertisement

#1300 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 23:49

Originally posted by cavvy

Did Mullins take over the Ray Thackwell Mini when the Porsche arrived?

Will need to check to confirm, but I believe Jim's involvement pre-dates Ray Thackwell's. Jim tuned and raced Minis and other A series engined cars extensively in NZ before coming to WA (he was NZ touring car champion sometime in the 60's). One car he had much success with was a radically modified Austin A40 Farina. It was apparently so quick he had to face regular accusations of cheeating from larger engined competitors.

I can't remember Jim ever racing the Mini with the cross flow head which makes me think that his was a different car from Thackwells, who definitely had the x-flow. Spoke with Dad on Christmas night and he is fairly sure that the Mullins Mini was the ex-Sangster, ex-Foley car. Needs further verification.....

BTW, was reading the Classic Cars Mag article on Wanneroo history. The shot of the orange Porsche is Leo Stubber, who bought Thackwell's original Porsche to replace the ex-Fritz Kahout car he had been racing. Thackwell had replaced the car with the RSR, and he always ran in white with Castrol sponsorship. If you check Terry's results page for any time in the late 70's you will see that Stubber was always no. 77.