Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#1301 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:48

I think Al Munday's Mini Cooper S was the ex Manton, ex Dunkerton car. Quite an historic car if it still exists.

Advertisement

#1302 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:30

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Haggis 2
[B]

Checking my records, I'm now not so sure the Briggs car was the Mould car, but it looks so similar I think it must be. Pretty sure the car then changed hands from Briggs to the Bennett brothers who ran it for years in Leyland blue and white livery, originally as part of Harris's group (they were never really a team - I suppose "stable" is an appropriate term).

________________________________________________________________________________________

My Father advised last night that the Bennett car was the ex-Mould car and that Briggs lightweight 'S was destroyed against the armco in front of the old pits just before he took over the Beechey Monaro.

#1303 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:16

Enough of Minis (for now anyway!!;) ). Here's some pics of Gordon Mitchells's AH Sprite evolutions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First one is at Caversham 1968 - start of handicap race for Sprites and MGs

Second, again, Caversham 68 6hr LeMans. Typically wet, but this one of the wettest.

Third, Wanneroo 1970 6hr

Finally '71 6hr.

#1304 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:48

I think you meant:

Posted Image

How is Gordon these days, anyway? Did he get himself another drive?

#1305 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:15

hmmm Gordan Mitchell.

Sprites attached to the front of Phase 3's

Fiats with Montrel engines in walls

Smoking Fiat Uno with rx7's in walls.

The Uno was the last car Gordan has run which Frank owns and prepared for him again.

#1306 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:30

A good club man too... guided the WASCC through some difficult times a few years ago...

I don't think he's President any more, is he?

#1307 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:17

Originally posted by Ray Bell
A good club man too... guided the WASCC through some difficult times a few years ago...

I don't think he's President any more, is he?

No.... He and John Hurney have alternated a few times, but of late the club has had some messy constitutional issues to resolve and "new guard" is in place.

After the Sprite Gordon had a number of interesting (and usually inappropriately quick) drives. Towards the end of the Sprite period he ran a Porsche 911 along side it which was built up from an insurance write off.

He piloted the Dick Ward Abarth temporarily in it's original 850t/c guise.
He also ran an ex-works Leyland Marina (!! :D ) V8 in sports sedans then spent an extended period with Frank Cechelle, initially in the ex-Foley Alfa GTA into which they shoehorned the turbo'ed Rover V8 and won a couple of championships, then the twin 131 Abarths - one in sports sedan mode and the other, more original one in street cars.

He then went "'privateer' for several years running a series of sports sedan/streetcar commodores (VL through to VS) with the 3l Nissan motor and turbo. Theses were obscenely quick but fragile gearboxes were a regular issue. He then returned to Cechelle's patronage and ran the Uno Turbo, originally as a touring car including an ill fated Bathurst start in the mid 1980's. Although cut short through engine problems, they earned themselves some respect via their initial pace in the 'minnow' class. The Uno was subsequently campaigned in streetcars and sports sedans in an ever more radical configuration with much success including several streetcar championship and Torque Trophy wins.

He currently has an ex-SCCA Fiat X1/9 lightweight into which he is putting similar running gear to that which powered the Uno in it's later years. Should be a formidable beast in his capable hands when it hits the track!.

#1308 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:49

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I think you meant:

Thanks, Ray. :up:

#1309 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:09

Found in one of my own boxes of slides I'd forgotten about: Wanneroo, Bob Jane, 70s:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1310 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:06

Originally posted by Haggis 2
.....After the Sprite Gordon had a number of interesting (and usually inappropriately quick) drives. Towards the end of the Sprite period he ran a Porsche 911 along side it which was built up from an insurance write off.....

Let's not forget that before the Sprite he had an Anglia, which he used to tow a caravan (on his honeymoon?) to the singular race meeting at Geraldton to spectate.

The Leyland Marina with the turbocharged V8 was a team car from the London-Munich World Cup Rally, which hadn't been used. Gordon 'upgraded' the engine with a turbo and, as he was transferred to Melbourne in his job with Telecom, raced all over the country. Towed behind his lowly Valiant station wagon.

The effort he put into developing that turbo unit was what got him tied up with Frank Cecchele, IIRC. Frank reckoned he could prepare it better than Gordon, and that it would work out better in an Alfa body, so that was what happened.

But did you know that at one stage, when they were winning everything with the Fiats (131s?) they actually contemplated running one car out of class to try to capture an extra WA Championship? Frank at the time was feeling the pinch as the negative people put pressure on. Somehow Gordon seemed to bring out the envy in others, and they weren't afraid to gang up on him.

.....He currently has an ex-SCCA Fiat X1/9 lightweight into which he is putting similar running gear to that which powered the Uno in it's later years. Should be a formidable beast in his capable hands when it hits the track!.

Now that's interesting! Frank was put out of racing altogether, I understand, when Gordon was unbeatable in the Uno in the street class. The street class guys decided that any turbocharged 2-litre cars (as it was) had to have a minimum weight of 1100kg or something. The only car it affected was the Uno, which weighed in at 750kg or so.

This was happening at the same time as Gordon was being pushed out of his committee position. They went around to see Frank and he was talking about running the old red Fiat again. "That's fine, Frank!" they told him. "Yes, Gordon should still do okay in that car..." "Well, if Gordon's driving it you can't run it."

Frank hasn't entered a car since. He's finished with them.

I have to say, Gordon's character in building up yet another car to go and subject himself to their politics is a gutsy move. But with the turbo 2-litre in the back instead of the front, he should enjoy some sideways stuff for a change.

Nice pics of Janey, Terry... very nice...

#1311 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:21

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell
Somehow Gordon seemed to bring out the envy in others, and they weren't afraid to gang up on him.

This was happening at the same time as Gordon was being pushed out of his committee position. They went around to see Frank and he was talking about running the old red Fiat again. "That's fine, Frank!" they told him. "Yes, Gordon should still do okay in that car..." "Well, if Gordon's driving it you can't run it."

Frank hasn't entered a car since. He's finished with them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that is sadly true. He seems to have been a constant victim of the 'tall poppy' syndrome. It seems his talent is such that he will prevail in all kinds of machinery against the odds..... and those with less talent but more money don't always appreciate that. The saddest thing is that streetcars are now just 'formula RX7', a car which as only a 'pretend 4 seater' doesn't belong there either - yet it was mostly their lobbying which had Gordon and Frank (the Uno... but really the individuals...) ruled ineligible. They are simply boring and predictable to watch.

#1312 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 18:46

I wonder how they felt when Frank pulled out his circuit sponsorship money?

For two guys who've dedicated so much time and energy to the sport in WA, they sure have been treated in a shabby way.

Now what we need is for Terry to post a pic of the Sprite sideways...

#1313 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 20:38

Yes... I know the picture - from his book.

Or for someone to upload a youtube file of the Chanel 9 footage where he regularly outbrakes 4 or 5 cars (From memory the Milano, Lotus 47, Bolwell and GTHO etc) into Kolb corner until Bill Dickson in the HO - probably out of sheer frustration - gives him a nudge and picks up the little Sprite on the front bumper and pushes it sideways for what seems an eternity. It must have been frightening from Gordons viewpoint, and it was a dangerous and very belligerent move by the Falcon driver. As I recall it went unpunished, apart from a slight reprimand. Can't imagine that would have been the case had the roles been reversed!!

I believe Frank was awarded life membership just around the time of the Uno nastiness... probably in a cynical attempt to appease him.

#1314 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,808 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:16

Originally posted by ghinzani
Did you mean to say "Some woeful shorts"..........

No...I didn't...but I'll pay that one!! :wave:

#1315 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:46

.....As I recall it went unpunished, apart from a slight reprimand. Can't imagine that would have been the case had the roles been reversed.....

I believe that no official action resulted from the hearing of the Stewards, but they did remark that passing on the outside was not a wise course. Dickson, of course, had hooked to the left and deliberately taken the Sprite out, Gordon had been making a good clean pass.

Give us the link if it gets uploaded...

#1316 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:23

Originally posted by Leo D
Interesting to see the front bodywork on the Leo Geoghegan Holden...... even down to the (aluminium I assume?) covers on the headlights.....

I'd seen a pic of this car before, but it was a small pic and hard to see much detail.....
What a wild looking unit for 1958!!

Is that some form of cold air induction on top of the bonnett???

Were there any other similarly.... aero device wise I mean..... kitted out touring cars in that era???

As always Kaydee.... great pics !!!

I know the original post was some months ago, but I have been avidly reading all the previous posts as I just discovered this forum. Someone (maybe Terry Walker?) must have some pics of the radically modified FJ that John Bertina ran at Caversham and then Wanneroo up to the the early 1970's.

#1317 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:17

I have only one photo of the Bertina Holden thant's any good and that's speaking relaively. The car still exists but is so badly rusted out that it is probably unrestorable. The car was built by cutting an FJ Holden into pieces, sectioning the body, and then welding the bits back together. They appear to have taken about a foot out of its height.

This at the start of the 1969 Six Hour Race, Wanneroo.

Posted Image

#1318 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:48

That is some chop down on the Fj. it,s as low as the Alfa amazing. :up:

#1319 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:59

The Rick Lisle Cooper S shortly after David Hipperson purchased it. It's parked outside our family home in the 70's minus engine which was undergoing a rebuild ready for the new season. The odd looking black lines partly surrounding the door were the remains of a large "7" outline around the number, a leftover from the 6hr race of that year (72 I think) when the local channel 7 sponsored Rick and Singaporean driver Anne Wong, who destroyed the engine by ignoring my fathers advice on rev limits and downchanging.

Posted Image
By brendon9889 at 2007-12-29

For those interested I've posted some 70's clubman pics on the "Haggis U2 Hunt" thread (http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=2)

Advertisement

#1320 giffo

giffo

• 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:06

Note edited all text from original question about image
Posted Image
Picture from Brian Beasy taken around 1971 of a Formula Ford race at Calder
Rear car is Brian Beasy driving the Beasy/Ford a F3 car converted to F/F spec. Car 59 is Graham Gilbert driving the Corsair F/F & leading is car 57, Mike Stillwell driving YTBD.
A similar image was also used in an article by Les Sheppard in one of the national racing magazines titled
Formula Ford (or) What's It All About Les?

#1321 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 20:08

Possibly Winton... and probably Wrens...

#1322 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 13:15

Originally posted by cavvy

Did Mullins take over the Ray Thackwell Mini when the Porsche arrived?

The Thackwell improved production Touring car Mini and the Mullins 8port LWT were the same car. I'll double check this on the logbook later on after holidays. Thackwell bought a brand new 70 Mk2 Cooper S from Ilich (Bob Ilich) BMC Como and the car was driven straight to Mullins' workshop in Belmont (nearby Thackwells business). Mullins and John Bates ,who then worked for Jim, then built the racecar for Thackwell including genuine aluminium doors and boot. I'm not sure whether the 8port head was actually fitted to the Thackwell tourer which was #54, but it was purchased. The car later went to Mullins ( probably at the time of the Porsche thing ? ) , and the car was lightweighted and had the 8port and Clubman front fitted as car #62 ( I think car#111 was Stan Starcevich' Graduate). A strange episode occurred as the 8port head was stolen off the car from a "break-in" ? , without the cam so the head was useless to anyone. I recall the incident hitting the Daily News at the time. The car then went to Karl and Adrian Wigger, minus a head . As Adrian was still in Nashos , Ibbotson drove the car till the end of that season and then the Wiggers ran it from the start of the next season. We got a brand new head and valves from Amcap and did a 10min porting exercise and the car was a runner again. The Wiggers got the 8port cam with the deal...... and some months later the head showed up at Mullins' doorstep. The head was then sold to Peter Doney in Mandurah , who I think built the car himself ?? The Wigger boys subsequently sold the cam to Doney and Peter ran his 8port car as #99, I think ? Bill Stace got the Doney car and some time later it went to Mike Kosieradski.
The Thackwell 911 was still car #54 and his X-U1 #154. Then the RSR came along ....... and correct me if I'm mistaken ...... I understand the RSR accidently arrived at Fremantle when it was originally destined to be one of the factory built cars for Penske ????

#1323 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 13:25

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I think Al Munday's Mini Cooper S was the ex Manton, ex Dunkerton car. Quite an historic car if it still exists.

True...... The log book and the rusted remains of the car,which I found rotting in a paddock in Margaret River, went to a notable mini enthusiast in Sydney. I understand the car is, or is nearly, restored as the Neptune Manton car ! As it should be too!

#1324 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:50

Originally posted by Al Munday

The Thackwell improved production Touring car Mini and the Mullins 8port LWT were the same car. I'll double check this on the logbook later on after holidays. Thackwell bought a brand new 70 Mk2 Cooper S from Ilich (Bob Ilich) BMC Como and the car was driven straight to Mullins' workshop in Belmont (nearby Thackwells business). Mullins and John Bates ,who then worked for Jim, then built the racecar for Thackwell including genuine aluminium doors and boot. I'm not sure whether the 8port head was actually fitted to the Thackwell tourer which was #54, but it was purchased. The car later went to Mullins ( probably at the time of the Porsche thing ? ) , and the car was lightweighted and had the 8port and Clubman front fitted as car #62 ( I think car#111 was Stan Starcevich' Graduate). A strange episode occurred as the 8port head was stolen off the car from a "break-in" ? , without the cam so the head was useless to anyone. I recall the incident hitting the Daily News at the time. The car then went to Karl and Adrian Wigger, minus a head . As Adrian was still in Nashos , Ibbotson drove the car till the end of that season and then the Wiggers ran it from the start of the next season. We got a brand new head and valves from Amcap and did a 10min porting exercise and the car was a runner again. The Wiggers got the 8port cam with the deal...... and some months later the head showed up at Mullins' doorstep. The head was then sold to Peter Doney in Mandurah , who I think built the car himself ?? The Wigger boys subsequently sold the cam to Doney and Peter ran his 8port car as #99, I think ? Bill Stace got the Doney car and some time later it went to Mike Kosieradski.
The Thackwell 911 was still car #54 and his X-U1 #154. Then the RSR came along ....... and correct me if I'm mistaken ...... I understand the RSR accidently arrived at Fremantle when it was originally destined to be one of the factory built cars for Penske ????

Hi Al, Thanks for the updates. I was only a 12 y/o boy when all this was going on, albeit with an avid interest and possibly, at times, annoying inquisitiveness, so my info comes only from memory of events! I do recall Mullins ran a red 'S in 1969 with number 69. This is the car that Dad thinks was the Sangster 'S (which I think was a maroon-y kind of red colour). He also ran an 'S in 1971 with number 111 (yes, this was also Stan Starcevich's number but in the old days there were a couple of cars with same number running different classes). This car was black/white as was the Thackwell car so you're no doubt correct. Another I am not sure of is Jim Runcimans car. Is that an ex-LeMay team car, and if so, which one? Someone posted earlier that Denny Cunnold has the Meeke Mini which started life in WA as the John Alford car... is this correct? And then the Doug Mould Lightweight... was this the car Chris Royston ran before taking over the Lotus 47 - the Mini then passing to the Bennetts?

The story I heard (at the time it was happening) was that the RSR was previously raced in South Africa for a season and Thackwell imported it (he spent some time in SA before coming to WA) but did not pay the duty, claiming it was a temporary import for "touring purposes". That is the reason it disappeared off the scene fairly quickly as the temp import permit was issued on the basis that it leave the country in a specified time. Hadn't heard the Penske story before.... but either could be true and the Penske version certainly has more intrigue.

Thanks.

#1325 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:28

Thackwell /RSR; when I came on board (1976) at Bob Jane Racing/Pat Purrcell era ,the Thackwell RSR ,that Bob ,I believed,repossed it from Thackwell as it was under finance with 'one' of Bob's companies,was sitting ,forlornly and damaged in the cnr of the Grey St. Race Shop ,(mind you so was the, LWT E-Type Jag, the Mclaren Can Am sports car, the 300s Maserati sports,the 300s Maserati from Argentia/wrecked and in bits,this was 'like' Alladins Cave)...after a time on board I asked Bob, If I could give the RSR a cosmetic rebuild, as I had time between my 'Team' responsibilities,YES was the 'green light', the left rear cnr had had a walk on the wild side,took some work to over come the 'short' cnr problem, painted the car 'pearl' White with 'pearl' gold bumpers,retrimed the interior,etc,etc,etc., all this was because 'Big pete' was try to 'steal it'!!! as Bob put It at the time,looked quite stunning, (if I knew how I would post a picture !!)Alan Coleman(Bob Jane Corp Director at the time) took a 'fancy to it for a while,but along came a real nice guy namely Graeme Stockley,of Stockley Fashion fame ,stepped up with the correct weight (read ;money!!) he thourghly enjoyed his period of ownership with 'street'registration "HOT911",the car wound up at "Duttons',went to England appearing in the 'Penske' Blue again,and I have good reason to believe its now back in Melbourne again !!!.......a bit of 'Historic BS !!!......... ps Graeme offered to swap careers, he would work at Bob Jane Racing and I could work with Stockley Fashions ,with all the beautiful fashion Models etc., etc., etc., its nearly '2008' and I still can not believe I declined,,just didnt think Graeme would survive on $200 a week !!...You All, have a great 2008...regards MJ

#1326 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:49

Originally posted by thunder427
Thackwell /RSR; when I came on board (1976) at Bob Jane Racing/Pat Purrcell area,the Thackwell RSR ,that Bob ,I believed,repossed it from Thackwell as it was under finance with 'one' of Bob's companies,was sitting ,forlornly and damaged in the cnr of the Grey St. Race Shop ,(mind you so was the, LWT E-Type Jag, the Mclaren Can Am sports car, the 300s Maserati sports,the 300s Maserati from Argentia/wrecked and in bits,this was 'like' Alladins Cave)...after a time on board I asked Bob, If I could give the RSR a cosmetic rebuild, as I had time between my 'Team' responsibilities,YES was the 'green light', the left rear cnr had had a walk on the wild side,took some work to over come the 'short' cnr problem, painted the car 'pearl' White with 'pearl' gold bumpers,retrimed the interior,etc,etc,etc., all this was because 'Big pete' was try to 'steal it'!!! as Bob put It at the time,looked quite stunning, (if I knew how I would post a picture !!)Alan Coleman(Bob Jane Corp Director at the time) took a 'fancy to it for a while,but along came a real nice guy namely Graeme Stockley,of Stockley Fashion fame ,stepped up with the correct weight (read ;money!!) he thourghly enjoyed his period of ownership with 'street'registration "HOT911",the car wound up at "Duttons',went to England appearing in the 'Penske' Blue again,and I have good reason to believe its now back in Melbourne again !!!.......a bit of 'Historic BS !!!......... ps Graeme offered to swap careers, he would work at Bob Jane Racing and I could work with Stockley Fashions ,with all the beautiful fashion Models etc., etc., etc., its nearly '2008' and I still can not believe I declined,,just didnt think Graeme would survive on $200 a week !!...You All, have a great 2008...regards MJ

We are expected to believe there was another colour other than orange in Jane workshop, maybe left over from the Jag days?

Was the car white - dont remember Thackwell bending it ... going to www.terrywalkersplace.com to check out when it last ran in Thackwells name.

As HOT911 I seem to remember it RHD ... yes/no?

#1327 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:00

I think I can recall it being black with yellow details at some stage too. IIRC it was the subject of a castrol? ad in the late 80's.

#

Originally posted by cavvy

We are expected to believe there was another colour other than orange in Jane workshop, maybe left over from the Jag days?

Was the car white - dont remember Thackwell bending it ... going to www.terrywalkersplace.com to check out when it last ran in Thackwells name.

As HOT911 I seem to remember it RHD ... yes/no?

#1328 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:08

Thackwell Porsche DNFed November 1974 , never to reappear.

#1329 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:18

Originally posted by thunder427
Thackwell /RSR; when I came on board (1976) at Bob Jane Racing/Pat Purrcell area,the Thackwell RSR ,that Bob ,I believed,repossed it from Thackwell as it was under finance with 'one' of Bob's companies,was sitting ,forlornly and damaged in the cnr of the Grey St. Race Shop ,(mind you so was the, LWT E-Type Jag, the Mclaren Can Am sports car, the 300s Maserati sports,the 300s Maserati from Argentia/wrecked and in bits,this was 'like' Alladins Cave)...after a time on board I asked Bob, If I could give the RSR a cosmetic rebuild, as I had time between my 'Team' responsibilities,YES was the 'green light', the left rear cnr had had a walk on the wild side,took some work to over come the 'short' cnr problem, painted the car 'pearl' White with 'pearl' gold bumpers,retrimed the interior,etc,etc,etc., all this was because 'Big pete' was try to 'steal it'!!! as Bob put It at the time,looked quite stunning, (if I knew how I would post a picture !!)Alan Coleman(Bob Jane Corp Director at the time) took a 'fancy to it for a while,but along came a real nice guy namely Graeme Stockley,of Stockley Fashion fame ,stepped up with the correct weight (read ;money!!) he thourghly enjoyed his period of ownership with 'street'registration "HOT911",the car wound up at "Duttons',went to England appearing in the 'Penske' Blue again,and I have good reason to believe its now back in Melbourne again !!!.......a bit of 'Historic BS !!!......... ps Graeme offered to swap careers, he would work at Bob Jane Racing and I could work with Stockley Fashions ,with all the beautiful fashion Models etc., etc., etc., its nearly '2008' and I still can not believe I declined,,just didnt think Graeme would survive on $200 a week !!...You All, have a great 2008...regards MJ

Are you sure it was the Thackwell car? When it first arrived in Perth it was Black with, IIRC, red detail. I also don't remember the car ever being bent while Thackwell owned it. In fact it rarely even put a wheel off the track!... and the Thackwell car was LHD.

#1330 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,808 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:31

Are you sure it was the Thackwell car? When it first arrived in Perth it was Black with, IIRC, red detail. I also don't remember the car ever being bent while Thackwell owned it. In fact it rarely even put a wheel off the track!... and the Thackwell car was LHD.

Happy NewYear Sandgropers!!...just want to say how brilliant your input into this thread has been from what is literally seen as another country!! Cheers, Mick

#1331 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:19

Lakeside, Queensland, 1964. Driver's name Searle. That's all I know.

Posted Image

#1332 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:20

I concur wholeheartedly. The West Australian input has certainly added a totally new dimension to this thread.
Or should that be Western Australian? It's very confusing with both South Australia and the Northern Territory.

#1333 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:37

Hi Al, Thanks for the updates. I was only a 12 y/o boy when all this was going on, albeit with an avid interest and possibly, at times, annoying inquisitiveness, so my info comes only from memory of events! I do recall Mullins ran a red 'S in 1969 with number 69. This is the car that Dad thinks was the Sangster 'S (which I think was a maroon-y kind of red colour). He also ran an 'S in 1971 with number 111 (yes, this was also Stan Starcevich's number but in the old days there were a couple of cars with same number running different classes). This car was black/white as was the Thackwell car so you're no doubt correct. Another I am not sure of is Jim Runcimans car. Is that an ex-LeMay team car, and if so, which one? Someone posted earlier that Denny Cunnold has the Meeke Mini which started life in WA as the John Alford car... is this correct? And then the Doug Mould Lightweight... was this the car Chris Royston ran before taking over the Lotus 47 - the Mini then passing to the Bennetts?

The story I heard (at the time it was happening) was that the RSR was previously raced in South Africa for a season and Thackwell imported it (he spent some time in SA before coming to WA) but did not pay the duty, claiming it was a temporary import for "touring purposes". That is the reason it disappeared off the scene fairly quickly as the temp import permit was issued on the basis that it leave the country in a specified time. Hadn't heard the Penske story before.... but either could be true and the Penske version certainly has more intrigue.

Thanks.

Hehe..... i was only pretty young then too...... and I'm relying totally on memory. There were a lot of stories around then, as is now..... the beauty of this forum is that eventually the truth comes out albeit that may not be as exciting as the legend. :D The Thackwell/Mullins lwt/Wiggers is fact (with some numbers changing? As a side remark a lot of cars had to change numbers for the 6hr.). I'm sure Mullins would have had another Mini earlier too, but I have no detail on that car ? Denny Cunnolds is the Alford car... he still has it. I'm sure Jim Runcimans car was Bill Meekes , but I dont know the origin of that one pre-Meeke. Jim and Bill need to get on to this forum ..... particularly Jim with his passion for Rileys and a wealth of knowledge on cars from this era not even mentioned yet.

Compliments Of The Season All :wave:

#1334 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:44

Originally posted by David Shaw
I concur wholeheartedly. The West Australian input has certainly added a totally new dimension to this thread.
Or should that be Western Australian? It's very confusing with both South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Dubble Yew Way is OK , David ! :up:

#1335 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:07

Thackwell/ RSR;to be Honest, I'm not sure where my next dollars comming from and I'm not sure how you work Women out,and I'm, not sure why I'm at work on 'New Years',day but I am sure, that the RSR I worked on ,was the Thackwell car,the damage to the left rear cnr was well disguissed with over an inch and a half of 'magic mud' (Bondo!!) this was where the Tail lamp and the boot lid meet,this repair required a professional,so I asked Ray Miles of Melbourne,responsible for building a number of GMH 'show cars' of the 70's and 80's, to do the honours, great job ,'hammer and dolly' stuff !!...yes the car was LHD drive,hence the reason 'Big Pete wanted to buy it for low 'bucks' because it could not be road registered LHD,at that time,.....after a period of ownership Graeme bought me the car to touch up the front bar ( gold pearl) prior to gaining a road worthy and regitration (I think he was planning an 'early' Adelaide rallye ),it was a 'little' loud ,to this end I contracted the local 'Midas' muffler shop to do the job,unfortunately for me they tried to put the RSR on the 4poster with out ramping the front..results....I had to repair and paint the front RSR bar again ..(think 24hrs work in 8hrs or less)...,just to keep a smile on Graeme's face,but 'Yes' it was converted, I believe by the local Melbourne top Porsche shop, Charlie Battisti's was the accredited Porsche repair experts of the time,(still to this day).Graeme was also very active in the Porsche Car Club, .... best I can Do !!!

#1336 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 22:03

I just know that you and I are going to have some long conversations, MJ...

As for the WA content, for all that it's good it's also bad. It's showing up the eastern states!

#1337 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 00:52

Despite its small population compared with the eastern states, Western Australia contrived to run a number of interesting events unheard of outside the state - except to specialists.

For instance: The Western Australian Formula One Championship (for F5000 cars), a couple of years before the Australian Grand Prix.

And this:

Posted Image

This photo was definitely taken at that event - held on Lake Perkollili - because you can see some of the sandbags marking out the two huge chicanes which were only ever used for that one event.

Posted Image

#1338 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:00

This is the official "map" of the track - a diagram, way out of scale, by the way - showing the chicanes inserted into the usual vast circle, not to mention the lavish prizemoney.

Posted Image

#1339 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,808 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:34

May have been posted before...but hey..great shot!

http://innopac.slwa....3&FF=&1,0,,0,-1

PS I think the fella in his underwear had an advantage at the Le Mans start :)

Advertisement

#1340 Eric Newman

Eric Newman

• 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:13

For anyone interested and can receive it, this Saturday on "Late Night Legends", on ABC2, will be a repeat of the 1963 Warwick Farm GP.

#1341 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:22

As confirmed here: http://forums.autosp...15&pagenumber=2

Beware the 8am start.

#1342 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:07

Phew.you guys certainly have been busy.just to go back a bit the John Fenton cut down Holden is now
owned by John Napier Winch who is going to restore it one of these days .when i find a pic Joho gave me
i will post it.Had a great time in Sydney.

#1343 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:21

Thats John Bertina isnt it Ken - what ever happened to the Fenton winning speedcars, Sesco powered - last I heard one was running vintage in the US - Aus #1 in the US of A, I've got to see that.

#1344 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 00:22

You are right it was john Bertina,i was not thinking straight,it's eithre age or the hot weather.
more pics coming soon.

#1345 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:48

Norm Beechy,Peter Manton.Jim Mullins on starting grid 1970.Jeff Dunkerton was third car on front row.

=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1346 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:55

One of Ken Devine's colour slides of early Wanneroo: a whole bunch of clubmen (clubpersons? clubmans?) streaming through Leyland Loop with a Milano in pursuit.

Posted Image

#1347 barnsie

barnsie

• 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:56

Originally posted by Al Munday

Hehe..... i was only pretty young then too...... and I'm relying totally on memory. There were a lot of stories around then, as is now..... the beauty of this forum is that eventually the truth comes out albeit that may not be as exciting as the legend. :D The Thackwell/Mullins lwt/Wiggers is fact (with some numbers changing? As a side remark a lot of cars had to change numbers for the 6hr.). I'm sure Mullins would have had another Mini earlier too, but I have no detail on that car ? Denny Cunnolds is the Alford car... he still has it. I'm sure Jim Runcimans car was Bill Meekes , but I dont know the origin of that one pre-Meeke. Jim and Bill need to get on to this forum ..... particularly Jim with his passion for Rileys and a wealth of knowledge on cars from this era not even mentioned yet.

Compliments Of The Season All :wave:

Al,
You are correct as always, speaking to John not that long ago he confirms the Cunnold Car is the Alford Car.
He had some interesting thoughts on some of the other minis in WA too - it would seem a few of them now hardly seen are some of the original cars well known in WA from late 60's.

Whether current owners (assumably so?) are aware or not I don't know.

Will hopefully catch up with John again one day soon I am sure he mentioned once the ex Phil Davenport car (#72) was last owned (possibly still is??) by Steve Bruce that it was a ex Dunkerton mini (Jeff).

#1348 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 14:38

Originally posted by barnsie

Al,
You are correct as always, speaking to John not that long ago he confirms the Cunnold Car is the Alford Car.
He had some interesting thoughts on some of the other minis in WA too - it would seem a few of them now hardly seen are some of the original cars well known in WA from late 60's.

Whether current owners (assumably so?) are aware or not I don't know.

Will hopefully catch up with John again one day soon I am sure he mentioned once the ex Phil Davenport car (#72) was last owned (possibly still is??) by Steve Bruce that it was a ex Dunkerton mini (Jeff).

The original Davenport Mini from the 80s may have been the ex Dunkerton car, but the one Steve Bruce currently owns certainly isn't. The car was reshelled by my dad in the mid 80s after Davenport ran up the back of Meeke's Falcon Sprint in a start line accident. The shell was from a standard Mini 850 and was stripped, painted and completely re assembled inside of three weeks ready for the next meeting. Unfortunately, some small oversight prevented the car from running on the day, but it was an all round excellent effort by all involved.

#1349 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 23:31

was that when Meeke stuck the car in reverse on the grid. Droped the clutch and went backwards and poor phil had no where to go?

Damn I miss seeing Phil drive. Seeing his "ROAD" mini kill porsches around the short track was something to behold.

#1350 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:08

Somebody wanted to see a sideways shot of Gordon Mitchell in his Sprite.

L=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]