Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#1351 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:52

Originally posted by ken devine
You are right it was john Bertina,i was not thinking straight,it's eithre age or the hot weather.
more pics coming soon.

Yes both johns drove it in a six hour first off

Went out to bertinas worshop with john fenton and John when they were building it

Murray T

Advertisement

#1352 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:58

Originally posted by Terry Walker
One of Ken Devine's colour slides of early Wanneroo: a whole bunch of clubmen (clubpersons? clubmans?) streaming through Leyland Loop with a Milano in pursuit.

Posted Image

terry
looks as though I was the last Clubbie to pass russell

Was good racing racing against russel in the Milano Max Flether in the v8 Alpa and Leo Stubber in the Porsche

Thanks Ken and terry great photos

Murray T

#1353 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:48

Originally posted by haggis

The original Davenport Mini from the 80s may have been the ex Dunkerton car, but the one Steve Bruce currently owns certainly isn't. The car was reshelled by my dad in the mid 80s after Davenport ran up the back of Meeke's Falcon Sprint in a start line accident. The shell was from a standard Mini 850 and was stripped, painted and completely re assembled inside of three weeks ready for the next meeting. Unfortunately, some small oversight prevented the car from running on the day, but it was an all round excellent effort by all involved.

I'd better start a spreadsheet on these minis ( when I'm out of holiday mode ! ) . We can all contribute then and it will be FULL of names !

The Dunkerton #26 LeMay mini was definitely Manton-Dunkerton-Wilkins-Munday-now in sydney restored as the Manton Neptune Car.

Davenports #72 car (from the 90's appendix J anyhow) was definitely purchased by Steve Bruce and is still in
his possession. Davenport later built a Sprint Series non-appendix J mini and that is now in the hands of Terry Keefe in Mandurah ( after a first out roll-over at My Clarence last year !) I dont know how many cars Phil had but the Pink Bring mini of the 70's went to Waroona speedway :down:

Jim Runcimans car was Bill Meekes which I dont think had earlier race history , but is a genuine S.

Please email me , fellas , with info on WA RACE MINI history , I'll get it on a spreadsheet and post it, otherwise we'll be up tp page 50 :)

#1354 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:57

Somebody wanted to see a sideways shot of Gordon Mitchell in his Sprite.

L=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

I recall wandering over to Parkline Motors in Forrestfield in the latish 70's , who then sponsored Gordons Sprite ( i think ?? ) ....... and there was a brand new alloy 8 port head on the bench ? Does anyone know whether that went onto Mitchells Sprite ? Or did it go somewhere else ??

#1355 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:54

I like that picture, the Mitchell Sprite - the car seems to be enjoying what it does, judging from its facial expression... :D ;)

#1356 imp4me

imp4me

• 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:16

Hi, in reference to shot of 1975 Tasman at Oran Park 17/3/07 before i read it I was going to say Hungry at Lakeside from the Eastern Loop. remarkably alike but now I think about Lakeside is not as wide and there is a decent embankment to skim on the way out of hungry. Its good going over familar faces and circuits. We will have Lakeside back soon for club and hopefully historics or is that hysterics. ;-))) Darcy

#1357 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:26

Originally posted by Al Munday

I recall wandering over to Parkline Motors in Forrestfield in the latish 70's , who then sponsored Gordons Sprite ( i think ?? ) ....... and there was a brand new alloy 8 port head on the bench ? Does anyone know whether that went onto Mitchells Sprite ? Or did it go somewhere else ??

Hi Al,

If it did it would have been for a very short time only. I remember it ran a "split weber" set up also in the latish '70's but don't remember the 8 port. The Sprite was converted back to road use (believe it or not!!) at the end of the 70's with a stock 948 or possibly 1098cc engine out of an A40 Farina Gordon had been planning on building into a sports sedan. The engine was sold to a Mini competitor (don't know who). Soon after it was sold to Frank Vander-Worm who ran a couple of race meetings in historics. Gordon also ran it (I think with Frank) in one of the early 300's with it's original 1098cc race engine which had been sitting in our garage for 5 or 6 years untouched and the gearbox from Dads old Mk1 Sprite (which was a Mk3 "rib case" box). Unfortunately it broke a piston and retired from the event.

It was subsequently sold again (can't recall the guys name - but he still has what's left of it) to a guy who had a nasty crash at a hillclimb in Denmark WA and flattened it up to the scuttle. He sustained some quite severe injuries. The car was not designed to hit trees, the radical lightweighting Dad had performed did reduce it's structural integrity somewhat and it should have remained a circuit use only car. When he recovered the guy did a "cut and shut" and rebuilt it. He still refers to it as the Mitchell Sprite, but little of the original car remains - I believe only from behind the seats back.

Cheers,

Brendon

#1358 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:32

Originally posted by fines
I like that picture, the Mitchell Sprite - the car seems to be enjoying what it does, judging from its facial expression... :D ;)

:rotfl: Yeah... But unfortunately it was a little too far gone and spun shortly after the photo. This was a heat of a match race series between the Sprite and Ian Diffens Charger. They were very evenly matched, but the spin unfortunately put paid to Gordon's chances of victory... up until then I think they were one heat each in a best of 3, IIRC.

Brendon

#1359 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:40

Please email me , fellas , with info on WA RACE MINI history , I'll get it on a spreadsheet and post it, otherwise we'll be up tp page 50 :)

Excellent idea. Could I suggest that maybe you start it with all your knowledge, then email a copy to each of us to add what we know and then post the "finished" "work in progress".

Incidentally, I came across an 'S in Collie in the very early 90's which was painted in LeMay red/white stripes, had evidence of a roll cage having been fitted at some time, and had minilites. It was road registered, but in a tired condition. I wanted to buy it, but was half way through building my race MGB and didn't have the spare cash (in hindsight I should have found it!!). Could this have been the Manton/Dunkerton/Wilkins/Munday car which eventually was found in Margaret River?

Advertisement

#1360 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 14:26

Some pics....

Posted Image

1971 6hr. Picture taken in practice and shows

Mitchell Sprite, Nigel Barter/Peter Green XU1, Mullins/Abbott(Geoff and Kim) XU1, Tony McAlinden/Colin Weir U2 Mk8b (I think... the similar car of Sullivan jnr was also entered but I think had full width roll bar), Graeme Ibbotson/George Cole, Jomax and Rick Lisle/Anne Wong, Cooper S. The Mini had had the bonnet fly open in Friday private practice and was running with new unpainted one. It was painted properly in time for the race.

Posted Image

Don O'Sullivan's M10b (I think) McLaren (He later had M18, but that model had square sided tub IIRC)

Posted Image

Frank Cecchele owned, Mitchell driven 131 Abarth.

#1361 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 15:18

Not photos, but some period news paper clips which may be of interest.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(This one from 1966 I think....)

#1362 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 16:23

Originally posted by Haggis 2

Excellent idea. Could I suggest that maybe you start it with all your knowledge, then email a copy to each of us to add what we know and then post the "finished" "work in progress".

Incidentally, I came across an 'S in Collie in the very early 90's which was painted in LeMay red/white stripes, had evidence of a roll cage having been fitted at some time, and had minilites. It was road registered, but in a tired condition. I wanted to buy it, but was half way through building my race MGB and didn't have the spare cash (in hindsight I should have found it!!). Could this have been the Manton/Dunkerton/Wilkins/Munday car which eventually was found in Margaret River?

Hmmm..... another mystery ? Wouldn't have been mine , it was green at the time and in the paddock. Unless it was a look-alike ? A lot of Cooper S went to Collie/Bunbury/Busselton area . And a lot are still there ! Hiding though........

#1363 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 20:30

Originally posted by Haggis 2
Some pics....

Posted Image

1971 6hr. Picture taken in practice and shows

Mitchell Sprite, Nigel Barter/Peter Green XU1, Mullins/Abbott(Geoff and Kim) XU1, Tony McAlinden/Colin Weir U2 Mk8b (I think... the similar car of Sullivan jnr was also entered but I think had full width roll bar), Graeme Ibbotson/George Cole, Jomax and Rick Lisle/Anne Wong, Cooper S. The Mini had had the bonnet fly open in Friday private practice and was running with new unpainted one. It was painted properly in time for the race.

Posted Image

Don O'Sullivan's M10b (I think) McLaren (He later had M18, but that model had square sided tub IIRC)

Posted Image

Frank Cecchele owned, Mitchell driven 131 Abarth.

Hi Haggis 2

The colour photo of O'Sullivan McLaren

It was when Gordon Mitchell was sponsored by Pink Pages as I can see Gordons Pink simca tow car in the back ground

More great Photos please

Murray Thomas

#1364 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 20:52

Hi Al

Just some info on Minis

Phil Davenports first Mini was the ex Charter Matherson car it was yellow

Phil did leave it at my place as he had no where to store it
I drove it a few times in practice days going thru wet and dry places on the circuit just about broke your wrist with the LSD
I gave Phil back the mini and he gave me my sprite back

Phil was even then a expert at driving Minis that was 1972

green Minis Peter Green from Mandurah raced one

Al give my regards to Tim Garrett also

Murray Thomas

I'd better start a spreadsheet on these minis ( when I'm out of holiday mode ! ) . We can all contribute then and it will be FULL of names !

The Dunkerton #26 LeMay mini was definitely Manton-Dunkerton-Wilkins-Munday-now in sydney restored as the Manton Neptune Car.

Davenports #72 car (from the 90's appendix J anyhow) was definitely purchased by Steve Bruce and is still in
his possession. Davenport later built a Sprint Series non-appendix J mini and that is now in the hands of Terry Keefe in Mandurah ( after a first out roll-over at My Clarence last year !) I dont know how many cars Phil had but the Pink Bring mini of the 70's went to Waroona speedway :down:

Jim Runcimans car was Bill Meekes which I dont think had earlier race history , but is a genuine S.

#1365 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 23:08

Originally posted by murray thomas

Hi Al

Just some info on Minis

Phil Davenports first Mini was the ex Charter Matherson car it was yellow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In that case it was the ex Neville Grigsby car, part of the John Harris stable, prior to Charter owning it.

Also Murray, re the Pink Mitchell Simca (Lilly The Pink :lol: ) Gordon lent it to Dad for us to drive to Wanneroo once when we were without a family car. I remember on Wattle Ave, just where the "S" bends are, the tailgate fell off and dragged along the road by it's cables. We were laughing our arses off :rotfl: . It was an amazing car though, Gordon towed the Sprite to Sydney and back with it in 70 or 71. The only hassle he had was in the Adelaide hills where it struggled to pull the Sprite and all it's cargo up the steep inclines. Gordon unloaded the Sprite and drove that through the hills (the things you could get away with in those days :D ) while Francine drove the Simca.

Cheers,

Brendon

#1366 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:26

Two Minis 1969 Jeff Dunkerton and ?

RL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1367 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:30

Another one Dick Roberts and ?

RL=http://imageshack.us]http://img502.images...ng0006cofs0.jpg
[/URL]

#1368 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:35

Whoops i stuffed the last one up.

#1369 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:37

Ken

No63 is RicK Lisle :D

Murray Thomas

#1370 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:44

Lets get back to Caversham,Mini race 1968.no 58 is Dave Thomas,cant identify the rest.

#1371 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:45

Whoops i stuffed the last one up.

Ken

I am guessing it is 1969 again so the ? would be Neville grigsby No 53

Murray Thomas

#1372 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 00:50

Rick Lisle

#1373 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:07

I just thought i would change the subject.MG TC race 1968.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1374 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:08

I looks as though the Sangster Mini definately went to Jim Mullins. Both drivers drove a Cooper s in 1969 at different meetings with number 69. Now..... where did it go from there?

#1375 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:08

Howie Sangster drove the Ted Lisle Mini under the Don O'Sullivan Racing Team banner carrying no 55
things changed so much at that time it was hard to keep up.The race depicted was a division 2 race.

#1376 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:30

In trying to change the subject i wil even post a pic of a F**D this is one of my favorite shots Allan
Moffat 1976.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1377 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:04

One more Mini, Bruce McLaren Agp 1962 possibly one of the first Mini Coopers to race in Australia.
Winterbottoms ran it several times in 1963 with Jack Ayres driving.It would be interesting to know what
happened to it.

#1378 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:18

Just for some variety i thought i would put this one up Jim Richards Mustang and Bob Jane Monaro 1976.

#1379 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:58

1971 WA Touring Car Championship: Bob Jane visited, won the title. Here he lopes past the Shenton Mini and Dennis Knox's Vauxhall Viva. One of a few not very good slides I took that day (usually blurred)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1380 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,753 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:10

Those big Aussie V8s look exciting - I don't think we ever saw reporting of Australian saloon racing in the UK. Was the Knox Viva successful, and what reworking had it been subject to? It doesn't look significantly changed from standard (except for reduced roll).

#1381 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:10

I've never driven one of those big bruisers in earnest, but I did have a 5-litre 1971 Falcon 4-speed as a street car for several years. Masses of torque, but with all that weight up front and no power steering, a bit
of a gorilla in the parking lot.

This is Norm Beechey's thumping Monaro 350 (5.7 litres) at Wanneroo Park in 1971:

Posted Image

#1382 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:48

I remember that 1971 meeting well. Every kid who came through the gate (well certainly through the tunnel into the pits) got the plastic Shell helmet :) I can still remember what it smelt like when it was new. No doubt I ran around the pits like a lunatic getting grubbier by the moment and annoying the cr*p out of anyone who I saw! It is a wonder I ever show my face at the track at all these days when I remember how annoying I was as a 6 year old :)

Rob Hagarty

#1383 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 16:26

[QUOTE]Originally posted by murray thomas

Murray, I will get onto Garratt ( Sir Ragnor ? ) and give him your regards ..... better get him on this forum and crank up a thread on 6HOUR specials Datsun/Healeys and Veedubs ?? And test driving them the night before down Mill Point Road ........ :D

#1384 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 00:19

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Al Munday
[QUOTE]Originally posted by murray thomas

Murray, I will get onto Garratt ( Sir Ragnor ? ) and give him your regards ..... better get him on this forum and crank up a thread on 6HOUR specials Datsun/Healeys and Veedubs ?? And test driving them the night before down Mill Point Road ........ :D
[/QUOTE]

Al

Let him know I have been living in Brissy for the last two and a bit years

I am still a member of the WASCC

I have grown out of those good fun days of the VW and the Datsun Healey

I just fang my Porsche around Queensland raceway and morgan park when I can

Murray T

#1385 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 00:56

Originally posted by murray thomas

I have grown out of those good fun days of the VW and the Datsun Healey

Murray T

Hey Murray.... That's a pity... :) . I think the Datsun/Healey would qualify as the grandfather of this - my Nissan/MG.

Apologies to all for these pics being way off topic....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1386 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:44

What chance that those :mad: Image shack photos, 5-6-7th Dec. might appear one day?
Very frustrating those blank posts.

Hang on, they've appeared as if by magic while I've been posting. :clap:

#1387 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:46

Typical transporter, circa 1962, Caversham. Bob Biltoft's Peugeot Holden towed by his sponsor's Dodge Kingsway.

Posted Image

#1388 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:56

"Brave Dave" Sullivan, in helmet, multiple West Australian racing champ - both touring and Racing cars - with a few colleagues near his car, No 40. The big guy he's talking to is probably fellow Holden pedaller Harley Pederick; to Harley's right is probably George Wakelin, another Holden man; and the bald guy looks like the late Noel Aldous. Caversham, early 1960s.

The corrugated iron cube behind them is the ladies' loo.

Posted Image

#1389 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:00

How to de-grease your engine:

Posted Image

#1390 giffo

giffo

• 275 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 00:48

Posted Image
This actually falls outside of the 70's
York Round the Houses 1982 - by Julian Cowan

#1391 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,480 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:05

That looks like the lowest common denominator, giffo...

By the way, I saw pictures of you in the Australian Classic Car Yearbook.

#1392 giffo

giffo

• 275 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:40

Posted Image
Another one by Julian. This time 1983 at the York RtH.
I have been given a series of images from Julian Cowan & Peter Briggs from the very early days of the VSCC in W.A.
I hope to have a good portion of these on the VSCC web site soon showing some of the clubs history.

Ray - On ACC year book. Adriene got in touch last year & asked if I would assist her in an article. Not being a writer I supplied her with the information for the article & tried to have it highlight the Historic Open Wheelers in W.A. as a group & thank those who help out all the time. Highlighting the camaraderie would sum it up.
I think it turned out O.K. On the mug shot. yes it is me. I never wanted to use it but I didn't have too many people shots & it seamed to suit. Everyone always shoots the cars. Ol' Bill Downey was pretty chuffed with that article & the Barbagello track one as he hasn't seen so many pic's of himself in a mag since the 70's.

#1393 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:22

Just to get us all going this is the John Bertina cutdown FJ holden now owned by John Napier Winch,John
hopes one day to restore it.
Photo by courtesy John Napier Winch.

hack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1394 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:54

So who owned the Mini and the handsome two vehicle in the background?? :)

http://i254.photobuc...on9889/Fiat.jpg

#1395 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,480 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:26

Isn't the foreground rather more interesting?

Frank Cecchele's Fiat 131. I must admit, though, the canopy on the 1800 ute is neat...

#1396 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:34

Nope....Fiats rust faster than any BMC product ever produced...are there any left??? :rolleyes:

#1397 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:48

X this is Y........W left a conspiritorial package in a dustbin at Reid Park .......

#1398 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:21

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
X this is Y........W left a conspiritorial package in a dustbin at Reid Park .......

Stanley!! good to hear that Mr Bizarre-o-man is still stealing oxygen from the planet :up: :rotfl: :wave:

#1399 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:23

Excuse the ignorance, but were those early Monaros - like the one in post 1378 - based on the Opel Rekord coupe from the same period? They look awfully similar, or was it just generic GM styling?

Advertisement

#1400 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:54

Originally posted by ian senior
Excuse the ignorance, but were those early Monaros - like the one in post 1378 - based on the Opel Rekord coupe from the same period? They look awfully similar, or was it just generic GM styling?

Ian...don't know...but every Holden ever released has had a very similar GM sister somewheres :)