Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#1751 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:10

Originally posted by plannerpower
I have edited my post, replacing "Hill" with "Geoghegan", but I now note that this report;

http://www.sergent.com.au/tas65a.html

does not mention either Geoghegan or Cusack in connection with Sandown.

Discuss.

Separate supporting race... Leo led all the way, going away (quite unusual, but there you have it)...

Greg was second for the most part, but with two laps to run Roly bolted past him. This must have refocussed the Canberra driver, who stormed past again and filled second spot.

Of the three, Roly was the only one to go to Longford. I'm sure there was a lot of talk about speed differentials at both of these meetings, and while Sandown could muster enough entries for a separate race, Longford couldn't and let selected 1.5s run in the big event. With tragic consequences.

Advertisement

#1752 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 20:28

Thanks, Ray.

I am keen to use this forum to get the identification of my photos correct for posterity, thereby making a contribution, albeit minuscule, to the avoidance of future confusion amongst historians.

And the experts seem to enjoy the "guessing games" as well.

:)

#1753 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 22:06

Well, back to Bathurst.

This time it's the 1963 Armstrong 500.

I was there because of my association with these characters;

Posted Image

In car; Doug Chivas. Under bonnet; Ken Wilkinson (co-driver). Behind him in flat cap; Dennis Summers, mechanic & "brains". On the right in helmet; Jack Gates, keeping an eye on things from the next pit.

On the left, with fuel drum, Ted Dickerson and, in centre of photo with hat, "Molybond Eric" who seemed to carry a can of Molybond 24/7 and sprayed every mechanical thing he could see with it.

The team was 6th outright and won class B, aided by 10-weight Shell oil and the liberal use of Molybond.

Here are some of the contestants; for identification, the results are available here;

http://www.uniquecar...thurst_1963.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1754 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 23:01

The pics of Armstrong show an S4 Holden # 16C that I shared with that old gentleman pommy speedway racer Bill Reynolds. It is in two shots one turning into Forrests Elbow behind a Studebaker and Cortina, the other halfway down the hill sans RHF wheel. The only other pic I have of it is at the bottom of Con-Rod still without the wheel. Is it possible for me to get the two for my personal collection?

#1755 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 23:11

It would be my great pleasure; I will PM you with my e-mail address.

#1756 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 23:38

Originally posted by kevinbartlett
The pics of Armstrong show an S4 Holden # 16C that I shared with that old gentleman pommy speedway racer Bill Reynolds. It is in two shots one turning into Forrests Elbow behind a Studebaker and Cortina, the other halfway down the hill sans RHF wheel. The only other pic I have of it is at the bottom of Con-Rod still without the wheel. Is it possible for me to get the two for my personal collection?

I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I knew and worked with old Bill for many years, and I must tell this true story.

This is a true story..Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent...

Many years ago when I was just a young'un I was in the motor trade and we had a showroom on William St Sydney which was THE place to be then, and we used to import and sell a lot of fancy cars from all over the world, but particularly the US.

We had just imported a whole load of fancy new cars from the US including a Mercury Cougar, Oldsmobile Toronado a Buick Electra, Buick Riviera, Olds Cutless, Dodge Ramcharger (yep, the genuine thing with 426 hemi manual), a couple of Shelby Stangs, and a couple of REAL GTO's etc.
We had all these in the showroom along with a Mercedes 600 Grosser 6.3 limo which was in the front of the showroom in pride of place.
We also had working for us an elderly guy (Bill) who was then 65ish (?), had been quite a name in Speedway racing but had retired and was now working for us as a salesperson, but he was a bit of a fiddler and loved to tinker. So, old Bill was half sitting in this Grosser with the driver's door open, one leg in and one leg out, the engine running, and had one foot on the throttle just giving it a little bit of a rev, watching the instruments to see how much oil-pressure it had, revs, ammeter, etc
Anyway, old Bill was holding it on about 1500rpm, peering down his nose through his specs looking at the gauges, when there was suddenly a loud thump, and screaming, shrieking and smoking of tyres and much smashing and crashing and broken glass etc as the office at the back of the showroom had an Olds Cutless shoved through it backwards!! .
Everyone came rushing through the clouds of tyre smoke to see what had happened .
The Grosser had jumped into reverse and had reversed into the GTO and pushed it backwards into the Cougar which had cannoned into the Cutless which had demolished the office at the back!!
The open driver's door on the Benz was half torn from its hinges and had opened up the side of the Riviera beside it like a can-opener!
"You silly old bastard Bill! You must have bumped it into gear!"
Old Bill was loudly protesting his innocence - "All I was doing was running the engine in neutral and it all happened by itself. Look, I was just holding it in neutral... like this... at about 1500 rpm like this........ and .... " BANG! ... - it happened again!! More shrieking of tyres and smashing of glass as the Benz REALLY shoved the GTO into the Cougar into the Cutless into the office etc .........
So, we cleared up the debris, got the cars fixed and moved on.
Except that, when we complained to Mercedes Benz about the danger of this situation, they made an official statement that "the situation that you describe cannot occur without human intervention because it is a non-mechanical linkage to the transmission and there are safety switches to prevent this occurence".
Well, old Bill kept protesting his innocence but nobody believed him.
So, we rebuilt the office, repaired all the damage to the cars which largely just cosmetic, including the Benz and sold it.
A few months later, the buyer had it out at York Motors Mercedes Benz workshop at Waterloo being serviced, and the tech was lying half in the engine compartment holding it at about 1500rpm, when ........Yup.............BANG.....!!! Into reverse and backwards through the brick wall of the workshop....
Old Bill couldn't wipe the grin off his face for a week!! When he found out, he sent a note to the service manager reminding him that this could not occur without human intervention.......

Sadly, I suppose Bill has probably long passed away - he was a lovely man to me and no-one ever seemed to know how old he really was, as he'd never own-up.

#1757 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 00:30

Originally posted by kevinbartlett

Yeah, that's the car all right...

Posted Image

You can always tell it by the way the front plate is taped over, displaying only the 'S-4' out of the 'DBS-444' numberplate.

That was your fifteenth wheel, wasn't it, KB? I think you said the one at Thompson's Corner was your 17th. And does your request not to tell anyone about that one still apply?

Whoops...

#1758 viva48

viva48

• 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:03

Nice pics of the Armstrong 500, some of them are from 1964, Imps appeared in '64. Like everything else in Class A, they copped a total thrashing from the Vauxhall Vivas.

#1759 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:08

One photo was omitted from my initial post; it shows #16 so here it is;

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1760 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:26

"......some of them are from 1964, Imps appeared in '64".

I thought they were all '63 because I knew the year that Wilkinson/Chivas ran.

But you are correct; some of the cars/numbers don't match '63 and, as you said, there were no Imps in the '63 list.

I remember '63 very well for obvious reasons but I don't remember going in '64; I've had a lot of sleeps since then, though. :)

It seems likely that the majority of the photos are, in fact, 1964; here is the 1964 list;

http://www.uniquecar...thurst_1964.htm

and a quick look shows, for instance, that Firth/Reaburn ran together in '64, not '63.

#1761 viva48

viva48

• 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:48

Fantastic! The SV Velox of McKay and Cusack. That car was the reason we went to Bathurst in '63, my Dad was a Vauxhall owner and wanted to see the Velox and the VX-4/90 running........well the 490 had rolled on Sat. arvo at Forrest's Elbow and Velox dropped a valve very early in the day while going great guns.
The Vivas made up for it in '64 well and truely, although the Alec Mildren entered Velox broke a piston and DNF'ed while in a good position to do well in Class D.
When will the sport come to it's senses and run a 1000 Km. race for production cars again? I sure miss waiting for the Daily Telegraph to publish the entry list a couple of weeks before Bathurst, to see what cars were entered for the annual thrash. Pretty much everything on the showroom floors were entered.
The current 12 hour race is O.K., but, it'd be better if it was 1000Km. with a 9.00 am start, IMO.

#1762 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:13

"some of them are from 1964, Imps appeared in '64".

I thought they were all '63 because I knew the year that Wilkinson/Chivas ran.

But you are correct; some of the cars/numbers don't match '63 and, as you said, there were no Imps in the '63 list.

I remember '63 very well for obvious reasons but don't remember going in '64 (I've had a lot of sleeps since then :) ).

It seems likely that the majority of the photos are, in fact, 1964; that includes the KB photos as #16 was an R8 that year.

Definitely '63 as the S4's only appeared once (was enough) a myriad of wheel problems, GM were grateful as the product testing continued :rotfl:
As you say Ray my final wheel count was close to thirty. So much for production car racing being the only ones. I also lost or collapsed eight in open wheelers and three in sports cars.

PP that last pic must have been very early in the event as I know the Vauxhall only lasted a short time with Sir Mal and Greg in second, Bill and I in third at that time, but we were passed by Janey quite early also. i can remember snatches of the event, including the many wheel losses.Got so that we could pick when they were about to depart and pit for a new one.Our main problem was my return to the pit on three had an effect on the sintered- metallic brake shoes and the right front shoes were non-existent for most of the way.

#1763 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:40

I got a bit confused re car numbers as the links to the results show place numbers, not car numbers.

I edited my post but Kevin copied it before I did so.

We will now commence today's Guess-The-Year competition; the prize will, in true Python tradition, be a blow on the 'ead. :)

The Firth/Reaburn Cortina is 1964, as it was Firth/Jane in 1963 (from the links to the results); ditto the photo showing the Imp. The Mini 42B photos are 1963 as are the photos showing #16.

Over to the experts for discussion.

#1764 viva48

viva48

• 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:20

Congratulations PP, you win the blow to the head!
I have some pics to contribute from those races, but, they're 35mm slides, I'll convert them to JPEGs one day.
Hey KB, I once owned the ex B.M.C. Mini Deluxe that you and Ron Haylen ran in Class A at Bathurst in '65. Good little car, I ran it for years, it never missed a beat.

#1765 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:53

Yes.

#1766 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,242 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:54

1967, eh?

Posted Image

That's it for Warwick Farm, I think.

Looks like the Foley big bore Mini leading the Stewart small bore at the back :up:

#1767 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,242 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:00

Originally posted by seldo

Correct - all the GTs were gold and you couldn't get another coloured GT until the XTs when I think there was choice of silver, gold, red or white.

Hmmmm maybe not Mr Seldon...whilst the XR Goldies were everywhere...there is evidence of Silver etc also being produced :cool:

#1768 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:08

And what colour was the one that won Bathurst?

Actually, I think the silver ones were in the XTs...

#1769 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:08

While we are at Warwick Farm in 1967 either Jack or Denny giving the marshalls a thrill in the esses on practice day for the Australian Grand Prix.

Posted Image

#1770 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:10

That must be Richard Austin there, leaning out all in white, camera in hand...

I wonder if that photo is on the Autopics site?

#1771 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 19:42

Originally posted by Ray Bell
That must be Richard Austin there, leaning out all in white, camera in hand...

I wonder if that photo is on the Autopics site?

If not the same one, then very similar...

http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

THOSE were the days, eh?

Wish I could remember them properly.

BM

#1772 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 20:09

Those who remember the sixties weren't properly there... :smoking:

#1773 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 20:26

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Hmmmm maybe not Mr Seldon...whilst the XR Goldies were everywhere...there is evidence of Silver etc also being produced :cool:

You are of course referring to the special run of silver cars for the Gallaher company.

#1774 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 21:11

Bruce is too young for the sixties, fee-nes...

Originally posted by Bruce R Moxon
If not the same one, then very similar...

http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

Nothing like it... this one is at the Northern Crossing...

Richard Austin shot in colour. Unlikeable and troublesome character that I've found him, I still wouldn't mind seeing Jack in that slide that close in colour to augment John's fine rendition. That's if it is Jack... I think it is, but the visor in the second shot suggests it could possibly not be. All the same, I don't think it's Denny... it must be Jack.

David... you're right... the Gallaher rep's cars were XRs, I was thinking they were XTs. Not a bad rep's car those days!

Anyway, it's clear that the Geoghegan GT was white at Bathurst, the winning car was dark green. Publicly it seems that the early run of XR GTs were only available in gold.

#1775 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 21:27

Austin's camera appears to be a Rolleiflex or similar; most motor-racing shooters preferred a 35mm SLR.

Colour film in that format was expensive; he must have been a very serious photographer.

#1776 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 21:30

I don't know much about his photography...

I knew him in another sphere a few years later. Some of his pics fill a deep void, but I can't help but feel bad that they're his.

#1777 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 21:45

I still wouldn't mind seeing Jack in that slide that close in colour to augment John's fine rendition. That's if it is Jack... I think it is, but the visor in the second shot suggests it could possibly not be. All the same, I don't think it's Denny... it must be Jack.

I love that photo, smoke pouring from the wheelspinning rear tyres. As Jack drove the BT23A in the 67 Tasman Series, this would imply it's Denny, but I'm sure Denny had a silver helmet with black stripes down the centre? Probably Jack during practice.

EDIT: Of course it is practice, as John mentioned in captioning the photo. :

#1778 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 23:03

The hat is the real issue... but John's photo suffers from glare that makes that difficult...

Maybe if someone could enhance it? I don't recall any swapping of cars in practice.

#1779 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:02

Enhanced a bit:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1780 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:31

Not having seen any of John's pics from this location before, I'm kind of keen to see some more...

Not much to work with there, Terry? The reflection's been hard on the film, for sure.

#1781 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:32

This link here to a section of Sergent's Tasman Series site shows Hulme in the helmet I mentioned;
http://www.sergent.com.au/tas67a.html
with the Brabham at a similar attitude to John's photo.

#1782 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:04

David... you're right... the Gallaher rep's cars were XRs, I was thinking they were XTs. Not a bad rep's car those days!

Anyway, it's clear that the Geoghegan GT was white at Bathurst, the winning car was dark green. Publicly it seems that the early run of XR GTs were only available in gold.

I have just viewed a scan of the original GT brochure which unfortunately will not allow me to copy, but it states under the photo of the car "Above: Falcon GT in its one exclusive colour - GT Gold. Then the specifications page states: " Special 11 stage hand-rubbed Super Sheen baked enamel in GT Gold". Gallagher had 8 cars built in Silver with red stripes as promotional cars for the 67 race but I was always under the impression that the other colour choices only came with the advent of the XT version the following year.
However, it would seem that Ford must have produced some "specials" for Bathurst as from total production indicated by the numbers produced below. 684 Gold, 8 Gallaher Silver, 1 Ivy Green Metallic, 1 Avis White, 1 Polar white, 1 Sultan Maroon, and 1 Russet Bronze.
XR GT Paint Codes
Code....Colour...Shade...Qty
T............GT Gold...01709...684
SPEC Gallaher Silver............ 8
X..Ivy Green Metallic..07124..1
F131...Avis White................1
E.......Polar White.....08631...1
F.....Sultan Maroon...08634...1
F782.Russet Bronze Metallic...1

I wonder what else was different about the cars apart from the colours...?

#1783 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:11

A former Caversham flaggie, Bud Townsing now lives in the NSW highlands SW of Sydney. He took a few B+W photos using a standard 55 mm lens on his SLR, and this is a lovely one:

Posted Image

#1784 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 262 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:13

That is in the category of "Photos I Wish I Had Taken".

Magnificent!

#1785 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:56

1967 was the only time I photographed in this area. Here is another one, but heavily cropped from a larger image and thus a bit fuzzy. Spencer Martin in the Brabham followed by ( I think ) Stewart BRM.

Posted Image

#1786 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:01

Bruce is too young for the sixties, fee-nes...

Thanks Ray!

Born 1962. My initials are the same as the winning car in that year's World Championship. Dad was pretty tragic, wasn't he?

Sorry for not knowing The Farm properly.

Whether I remember it or not, this thread is absolutely amazing. Thanks everyone who's posted.

BM

#1787 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:55

Originally posted by Terry Walker
A former Caversham flaggie, Bud Townsing now lives in the NSW highlands SW of Sydney. He took a few B+W photos using a standard 55 mm lens on his SLR, and this is a lovely one:

Posted Image

Terry, fantastic shot posted as always. Forgive my ignorance but any more details of car and year etc.?
Roger Lund.

#1788 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:03

I Say,

We at the Club aren't much interested in the obvious or the shopping trolleys that constitute our motor racing these days, but we are obliged to say Mr Terry Walker ..that the open wheeler, apparently Climax
powered has even old Bisdhop Polkinghorne puzzled ..

Any clues??

#1789 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:09

Or Peugeot-powered maybe?

#1790 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:27

Dick Ward, the driver, built this car himself. Typical of the early 60s in Western Australia, it is inspired by the Elfin (hence the name Peugeot Elf) and powered by a supercharged Peugeot 203 engine. Rear suspension is trusty VW swing axles, as full independent conversions were hard to come by with the sort of money apprentice mechanics had in those days.

Dick raced it from 1964 to 1968, sold it, and travelled overseas. When he returned, he brought with him a Fiat Abarth 850, which he still has - but that's another, much more complex story.

#1791 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 15:51

I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped by this car! :o Terry, that's not only a beautiful picture, but also a very nice car for a homebuilt Backwater Special! :up:

#1792 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 20:50

The Peugeot Elf at the 1965 WA state championships. It was later raced by Bob Innocent, who I think fitted a proper IRS and took the car with him when he moved east

Posted Image
By gjgraham

Posted Image
By gjgraham

That's Derek Vince's Elfin Streamliner behind

#1793 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 21:28

Obviously Dick had access to a set of Elfin 375/Junior body moulds...

Ah... for the days of the FC towcar.

#1794 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 21:48

Elf Peugeot; IIRC we have previously had a shot of the s/c engine bay and transaxle, from near side rear, or certainly another blown Peugeot spl. A fantastic era, I suspect
Roger Lund.

#1795 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 22:30

Terry for another time hey

Posted Image

This is what happens when you get bored touring italy in a abarth.

#1796 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 22:38

I can't recall anyone posting a shot of the Peugeot Elf engine, but you might be thinking of Vin Smith's Sevin, which I posted some months ago. I was still messing around with thumbnails back then, so here it is again full size

Posted Image
By gjgraham

And keeping the blown Peugeot theme going, here is Bob Kingsbury's version.

Posted Image
By gjgraham

Posted Image
By gjgraham

Does anyone know what type of superchargers these are? and more generally, if you were a special builder back then, how did you get hold of one? Were there local agents? Did you have to order them from overseas, or were some of them surplus from some other usage?

#1797 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 22:47

Bradbury West:

55mm lens! He must have bloody close to the edge of the track! Awesome shot!

#1798 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 22:51

Originally posted by nivola
Terry for another time hey

Posted Image

This is what happens when you get bored touring italy in a abarth.

Fantastic car! The works Abarths never quite looked like this!

#1799 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 23:04

The engine ,gearbox and wheels came from Vin Smiths Vindid which Dick bought after Vin crashed it at the
Byford hillclimb in 1963.Dick is still running the Fiat in sprint events at Wanneroo,last Saturday it was forth
fastest in the local speed event series on the short circuit against some stiff opposition including Dick's own
Mazda.

Advertisement

#1800 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 23:04

they never had a rotary in the rear either!!!!