Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8719 replies to this topic

#151 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:35

Same Longford meeting as earlier postings by me here: Palmer and Youl.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#152 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,643 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 16:49

That's a lovely angle, Terry, in Peter's photo.

#153 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:22

Originally posted by Alan Cox
That's a lovely angle, Terry, in Peter's photo.

The Viaduct was very good for angles... but what about the skid marks that go down towards the creek on the other side of the road?

Terry, how did you get Peter Longley's pics, and how many do you have?

This looks like the same car a fortnight or so earlier... love the tow car!

Posted Image

#154 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:46

Peter, an old mate, knew I was interested in racing photos, and when he discovered a few boxes of his slides on the subject he gave them to me. He had long ago pitched out all his b+w stuff in one of his various house moves, and these boxes had somehow survived, all that was left of his motor racing photography.

1 box Bathurst 500, 1969

1 box Longford

1 box Lakeside

1 box local Caversham touring cars

1 box 1962 AGP.

My immediate interest of course was with the WA stuff, because I was preparing the CD ROM version of Around the Houses at that time and colour was manna from heaven. Only lately have I been digging out the Eastern States stuff for a look, and to share with TNF.

You may remember Peter longley was Racing Car News correspondent for Wa racing in the late 60s.

#155 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:00

And this is Peter Longley last year. It was the 40th Anniversary of the Light Car Club of WA and one of the big celebration events was a "gumnut" rally, suitable for the oldies. Peter (a top rally navigator in ancient times) navigated for me; and with advice and heckling from the ladies in the back seat we came third.

Guess the make and model of car.

Posted Image

#156 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:32

Originally posted by Terry Walker
[B]And this is Peter Longley last year. It was the 40th Anniversary of the Light Car Club of WA and one of the big celebration events was a "gumnut" rally, suitable for the oldies. Peter (a top rally navigator in ancient times) navigated for me; and with advice and heckling from the ladies in the back seat we came third.

Guess the make and model of car.

Looks like 59/60 Sunbeam Hawk/Snipe...? :)

#157 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 516 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:46

Regarding the Sach-Cummo photo and car identification:

Definetely not Nota Din. Witness:
Pin type mounting on front shocks, Nota Din had eye fitted shocks
Narrow front wishbones - too narrow to be Nota and Nota Din had wider
Height of everything in front of cowl. Nota Din had everything lower than tops of wheels.
Age of build. Nota Din was a 1962 build. General view of car in photo shows to be probably fifties build, wheels, tyres etc.

Alternative conclusion by deduction, its Mini Din.

Historical note:
Nota Din started hillclimbing in mid 1962.
1962 championship won by Barrie Garner in Nota Major, a slightly larger direct take off of the Nota FJ's now Medley brothers owned.
Sach and Nota Din won consecutive championships in 1963 and '64.

Shame to hear of Ralph's demise but we all are suffering from the same problem.

Sorry about the slow response, busy on too many things recently,

Regards

Joe

#158 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:14

Re Nota/Mini Din.

My guess is thatthe pic was taken in 1958, when Dave Van Dal, who took the pic, went to NSW for the 1958 AGP at Bathurst. I think that pins down the model.

And the white "rally car" with Peter Longley in it was built in Crewe in 1970.

Yep, R-R.

#159 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:25

Re Nota/Mini Din.

My guess is thatthe pic was taken in 1958, when Dave Van Dal, who took the pic, went to NSW for the 1958 AGP at Bathurst. I think that pins down the model.

And the white "rally car" with Peter Longley in it was built in Crewe in 1970.

Yep, R-R.

Re R/R - Yes I also concur - the moulded rain-gutters are the giveaway. But as late as '70? It's certainly a Shadow, but S1/2/3...?

Advertisement

#160 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:32

.....all that was left of his motor racing photography.

1 box Lakeside

.....You may remember Peter longley was Racing Car News correspondent for WA racing in the late 60s.

Of course...

Divulge, please, Terry... but not everything. I'll e.mail you shortly.

#161 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:15

Shadow 1, 1970. The Shadow ran 1965-1980: Series 1 1965-1977, Series 2 (rack and pinion, impact bumpers) 1977-1980. I've had it about 7 years now. I must track down the kid who took a photo of me spinning its back wheels away from the start of the "special stage" - a 300 yard gravel section.

#162 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:36

A couple of hill-climb photos -

Posted Image
Lex Davison with the Cooper-Vincent airborne at Rob Roy in November 1954

Posted Image
Bruce Walton in the Walton Special at Collingrove in April 1958

#163 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 00:33

Speaking of Western Australian photographers/reporters, would any who contributed to motor racing magazines from the 60's and 70's period still be around?

Some of them are on my list of 'lost' photographers towards the bottom of page here: http://members.tripo..._and_pieces.htm
Note: you may have to highlight this web address link and manually ‘copy’ and then ‘paste’ it onto your Internet web browser address bar.

Peter, an old mate, knew I was interested in racing photos, and when he discovered a few boxes of his slides on the subject he gave them to me. He had long ago pitched out all his b+w stuff in one of his various house moves, and these boxes had somehow survived, all that was left of his motor racing photography.

1 box Bathurst 500, 1969

1 box Longford

1 box Lakeside

1 box local Caversham touring cars

1 box 1962 AGP.

My immediate interest of course was with the WA stuff, because I was preparing the CD ROM version of Around the Houses at that time and colour was manna from heaven. Only lately have I been digging out the Eastern States stuff for a look, and to share with TNF.

You may remember Peter longley was Racing Car News correspondent for Wa racing in the late 60s.

#164 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 14:18

I'll try to help out here...

Mike Swan is from Sydney, not Victoria. Possibly no longer with us, he was in his late fifties at least in the early seventies.

You'll find Terry Russell if you contact Bob Watson... he's the brother of Bob's wife Heather.

Bruce and Roberta Blackley was the Blackley team.

Ian Elliott came from Serpentine Crescent at Balgowlah when he was young...

#165 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 22:10

Some SA motoring photographers writers that were around in S.A. during the 60's and 70's were -

Jack Glasson - SCW early sixties - probably no longer with us
Bob Burke - SCW and AMS - still around in Adelaide
John Lemm - mainly photographer
Barry Oliver - RCN - ?
John Brownsea - various mags - still around in Adelaide
Barry Catford - various mags - still around in Adelaide
Bob Jennings - The Advertiser - not sure where Bob is now?

#166 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 23:25

I've seen Bob in the past couple of years somewhere... and he was still with the Advertiser...

John and Don Lemm were into motorkhanas as well as photography. Not hard to find, I wouldn't think.

Barry Oliver was a great writer, but seemed hot and cold for some reason. What he wanted to do he did better than almost anybody, what he didn't want to do had to be done by someone else. Great guy all the same, many years since I've seen him.

I missed Ean Jones, there, by the way. He lived in Lithgow. And Ellifloss... sorry, Ian Elliott, he was among the 'North Shore Photographers' set... with Ray Berghouse, the Snowdens and Bill Forsyth.

Rob Luck, IIRC, was producing Chequered Flag in the not too distant past. 15 years ago?

What about these blokes:

Kevin and Scott Elson?

Graham Smith (Qld)?

Leon Prgomet?

Mal Wilkinson (Vic)?

Greg Stanfield (Rosanna)?

You won't find Mike Harding, of course. I wonder if anyone has his negs? Though he was only '70s and later.

An e.mail to CMS might prove very productive on this score...

#167 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:48

The Neptune Racing Team at Sandown - not sure what year- maybe 62 or 63?

Posted Image
Norm Beechey's Holden PK751, Jim McKeown's Lotus Cortina and Peter Manton's - Morris Cooper

Posted Image
Norm Beechey - with passenger?

#168 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:12

Originally posted by kaydee

Norm Beechey's Holden PK751, Jim McKeown's Lotus Cortina and Peter Manton's - Morris Cooper

Norm Beechey - with passenger?

I'd vote more for it being 1964 or early 1965..... given the prescence of the S4.... but obviously before he had the Mustang....

#169 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:45

The Neptune Racing Team look very professional.

None of those cars appear to have roll cages or belts. When did they become common, or compulsory?

#170 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:09

We had this out once before...

Belts were compulsory well before this time, and they are fitted to those cars. I was just reading about Bruce McPhee's Falcon at Bathurst in 1969 and it didn't have a roll bar, so it was 1970 or later they became compulsory.

As for the date, it can only be 1964. Beechey never ran the S4 other than in that year. The tape over the Mini's entrant details indicates that it's probably just after the Lakeside ATT race.

#171 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:04

Originally posted by Ray Bell
We had this out once before...

Belts were compulsory well before this time, and they are fitted to those cars. I was just reading about Bruce McPhee's Falcon at Bathurst in 1969 and it didn't have a roll bar, so it was 1970 or later they became compulsory.

As for the date, it can only be 1964. Beechey never ran the S4 other than in that year. The tape over the Mini's entrant details indicates that it's probably just after the Lakeside ATT race.

You're right Ray, this was discussed here (seat belts & roll bars)

http://forums.autosp...ht=norm beechey

not that long ago.

As to the date for the pic, I only threw early 1965 into the mix as it looked like it might have been at the Tasman Round..... based on the size of the crowd in the background. I also wasn't sure when the Mustang made it's debut here in 1965? ....... Was there a "Victorian Touring Car Championship" meeting at Sandown late in 1964?.... thus explaining the crowd size perhaps?

#172 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:40

The Norm Beechey S4 photo was definitely taken at a Tasman round as the other photos from the same batch are of International entrants.

Therefore, based on Ray's comments of "it can only be 1964" it must have been the February 9th 1964 Sandown meeting.

Thanks guys - I can now date another batch of unlabeled pics!

#173 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:55

If this has been mentioned elsewhere so be it but the Mornington, Victoria, newsagency has amongst it's ABC DVDs a DVD "Classic Australian Open Wheeler Racing" which is one hour of B&W film of the 1958 Melbourne Grand Prix, (Moss, Brabham, 250Fs, 300s, Super Squalos etc.,), and 1959 & 1960 Bathurst 100s.

It is produced by Chevron Publishing: sales@chevron.com.au

If you like 250Fs in action this is for you. Also featured in the BP produced 1958 film is Stirling Moss chatting away with filmstar/celebrity/actress Sabrina; Stirling heroically keeping his eyes raised unlike the hordes of male onlookers whose eyes are hypnotically fixed further South.

#174 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:24

Hold it Kevin...

What are the other pics? Who's in them?

The S4 didn't race at the International meeting of 1964, Beechey ran Len Lukey's Galaxie instead. But it might have been there on show... of course.

The only meeting I can find the S4 ran at Sandown was in April, when the main event was for the sports cars.

#175 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:26

Can I throw a bit more "spice" into the Neptune mix here?....

Ray, you mentioned the tape over the Neptune sign indicating that it could be after the 1964 ATTC at Lakeside... Which wasn't until July I believe, so does that put the April date out?

Kaydee, you mention International Drivers, which can only equate to a Tasman Round?

I didn't attend my first race meeting until about mid 1965, so I know I wasn't there in 1964, but my memories of the crowds at Sandown post 1965, were that they were usually only that large for Tasman Rounds.... certainly the number of people standing on the mound (horse racing track) behind the pits indicates an important meeting....

I still wonder if my previous suggestion of a "Victorian Touring Car Championship" meeting held after the July ATCC meeting may hold some water?

What about a "Gold Star" round?

I am, as always, willing to be shot down in flames on any of my suggestions here......

#176 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:32

Originally posted by sandy
If this has been mentioned elsewhere so be it but the Mornington, Victoria, newsagency has amongst it's ABC DVDs a DVD "Classic Australian Open Wheeler Racing" which is one hour of B&W film of the 1958 Melbourne Grand Prix, (Moss, Brabham, 250Fs, 300s, Super Squalos etc.,), and 1959 & 1960 Bathurst 100s.

It is produced by Chevron Publishing: sales@chevron.com.au

If you like 250Fs in action this is for you. Also featured in the BP produced 1958 film is Stirling Moss chatting away with filmstar/celebrity/actress Sabrina; Stirling heroically keeping his eyes raised unlike the hordes of male onlookers whose eyes are hypnotically fixed further South.

Here's the link to the DVD:
http://www.chevron.c...penwheeler.html

#177 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:42

I think Ray has got it right -

He are some more photos from the same meeting as the the Neptune team pics -

Posted Image
Jack Brabham

Posted Image
Frank Matich

However this is the clincher -
Posted Image
As Ray said, Norm Beechey drove the Lukey Galaxie and this must mean the S4 was being demoed as Ray suggested. This also explains having a passenger on board?

#178 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:10

The really interesting thing to me, Kevin, is the behaviour of the International drivers a fortnight later...

To a man... well, maybe not Jack... they were ready at the fences at Lakeside on the Friday about midday when Beechey went out to limber up for the meeting there.

This means that they'd only ever seen him at the 'Farm... unless, of course, he put on a private show at Sandown at some time during that weekend.

I think I have designs on that picture of Matich and the Total truck, Kevin!

#179 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:43

There's a pic of Beechey and the S4 at Lakeside 1964, back about post 113.

Advertisement

#180 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:56

Just adding a little perspective to the Neptune Team pic here...

This was the second only appearance of the team... they'd debutted at the mid-January Calder where Beechey rolled his early Holden in its only appearance (I feel quite sure) in Neptune colours. McKeown had slipped off the road on the last lap of the 1600 race to fall to second, Manton faltered in the Mini race. The S4 blew a head gasket, so Bop Jane won two races, McKeown filled second twice.

Turning out in force in front of such a big crowd would have been good value, even if the S4 didn't get to run. By mid-year, incidentally, that red Galaxie was also blue with white stripes.

#181 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:43

Here's an earlier pic of Len Lukey's Galaxie in a less than pristine condition -

Posted Image

I think that this was taken at Sandown during the '63 Tasman round but I'm not 100% sure.

#182 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:51

Just adding a little perspective to the Neptune Team pic here...

This was the second only appearance of the team... they'd debutted at the mid-January Calder where Beechey rolled his early Holden in its only appearance (I feel quite sure) in Neptune colours. McKeown had slipped off the road on the last lap of the 1600 race to fall to second, Manton faltered in the Mini race. The S4 blew a head gasket, so Bop Jane won two races, McKeown filled second twice.

Turning out in force in front of such a big crowd would have been good value, even if the S4 didn't get to run. By mid-year, incidentally, that red Galaxie was also blue with white stripes.

For those interested, on the DVD "Before Brock There Was Beechey" there is a "Neptune" promotional film, which contains pretty much all of what Ray has mentioned, specifically the appearance of the S4 (PK-751) and the roll over of the 48-215 (PK-752) at Calder on the same day. Some footage of the Galaxie in Neptune colours at Warwick Farm as well, although not in action on the track.....

#183 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:58

Len Lukey's Galaxie was in Neptune colours for Beechey by the time they got to Longford in 1964. If the damaged Galaxie was from 1963, would that indicate that it was Lex driving it then?

#184 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:30

Originally posted by David Shaw
If the damaged Galaxie was from 1963, would that indicate that it was Lex driving it then?

David, now that you mention Lex, that definitely does ring a bell and I think that you could be correct.

#185 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:33

That actually means it was painted during the three weeks between Sandown and Longford...

I must say that I'm surprised to see that pic of it all crashed. I don't recall anything about that at all, but it was a topic of conversation at that time that Davo was having a lot of crashes. Longford in the Cooper in '63 being one of them.

Beechey ran the Galaxie in the Neptune colours, and with a big lump on the bonnet, at Lowood in the Qld Touring Car Championship in August. He blew a piston, but only after pulling something like ten seconds a lap on the second placed car on each of the three laps he ran.

RCN is very light on for detail on the Longford meeting, I don't think it was mentioned. And I find no other mention of the Galaxie all year.

It certainly ran at the 'Farm when it was red though. Davo spun it under brakes for the Causeway and Keith Regan exclaimed over the PA that 'he's just a passenger in that now!'

#186 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:35

Thanks for pointing out the other thread.

What year Galaxie was that? I worked at a very shady repair shop in Melbourne where we used a '64 as a runabout/tow vehicle. It was a dog: unsafe at any speed, and no brakes. You'd have to have cojones the size of coconuts to race one of those.

#187 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:41

It was a '63, apparently with a 406 Thunderbird High Performance with tri-power carburetion at 405 horsepower. The fastback versions usually seen back then were called a 63 1/2 and that was when the 427 became an option.

My brother-in-law has a 390 powered '68 model, and driving back from a wedding I thought I was in a boat on the water.

#188 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:13

I stand to be corrected with this unlabeled photo which is dated Longford '65 -

but I think from memory, it is a photo of the engine in Sir Gawaine Baillie's Galaxie -

Posted Image

#189 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,838 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:22

Originally posted by kaydee

Posted Image

Fantastic shot Kaydee :clap: Does anyone know why the Neptune Team eventally disbanded?? Neptune taken over ??? went bust?? pulled out of Motorsport??

#190 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:24

I think you're on the money kaydee, it was a white car and that's the twin 4 barrel Holley (R-code)425 horsepower 427.

#191 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:26

Baillie was there at Longford in '65 all right... and indications of that pic are that it's his car...

It appears to be cream bodywork, it appears to be parked next to Lex Davison's Cooper. This was the last appearance of a car entered under the Ecurie Australie name.

275... Neptune was owned by Shell, the team morphed into a bunch of Shell-sponsored cars you'll remember in yellow with red stripes after they gave up the electric blue with shell stripes.

#192 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:41

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Fantastic shot Kaydee :clap: Does anyone know why the Neptune Team eventally disbanded?? Neptune taken over ??? went bust?? pulled out of Motorsport??

I thought that Shell owned the team in all of its guises......the team remaining intact but changing into different colour schemes to meet the promtional needs of the period...

As I recall Neptune hung in there until 1966 the cars being blue with white stripes....

The "Tridents Racing Team" The Trident being the Neptune emblem of course.... featured mainly in Black, with yellow and red stripes.... It was about this time that the fabulous Electric Blue Colour Scheme appeard....

Finally as the "Shell Team" thy had moved onto yellow with red strpes.....

#193 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:47

I must say I appreciate the knowledge that is available on this board to identify cars and events of some 40 odd years ago.
I’ve still got plenty of old slides that need labeling and the memory banks aren’t as good as they used to be, but nevertheless, with everybody's help, I’m making pretty good progress .

Just let me know if I'm boring anyone.....

Thanks,
Kaydee

#194 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:59

I first visited Sandown as a 17yo in late (November..?) 64, so it's after that. I feel I recall the Galaxie punching a hole in the fence at Lukey(?) Corner with Lex Davison (?) at the helm in what I would have thought was the next major meeting in early '65 - so maybe the '65 International meeting.....Jeez 40 years is a long time to tax the memory....

#195 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 13:05

Not a chance of boring us, Kevin, not a chance...

What else have you got from Longford '65? Much of Phil Hill?

David... the Galaxie that went into the Peters Corner fence during the 6-hour race... nearly into the dam!... was the Baillie car driven by Davo. That was November '64. The car raced there again at the Tasman meeting, when Lex died in practice, and at Longford when Rocky died in the main race.

#196 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 13:14

Ray,

Here's a pic I took of Phil Hill in the pits at the '65 Longford meeting -
Posted Image

I'll look for some in-car shots tomorrow.........

#197 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 13:34

Not a chance of boring us, Kevin, not a chance...

What else have you got from Longford '65? Much of Phil Hill?

David... the Galaxie that went into the Peters Corner fence during the 6-hour race... nearly into the dam!... was the Baillie car driven by Davo. That was November '64. The car raced there again at the Tasman meeting, when Lex died in practice, and at Longford when Rocky died in the main race.

Aha! Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Ray. Yes, I was there for the 6hr race in Nov '64. Ok, sorry everyone - ignore everything I said....As you were...

#198 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 22:50

Just found another photo re the Sir Gawaine Baillie Galaxie at Longford in 65 -

Posted Image
Bib Stillwell and Sir G B in discussion alongside the Galaxie

#199 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 23:28

That was either after or before he turned the car around...

I might well need that pic of Phil Hill, Kevin. In fact, let's just say I do need it. Keep it very safe!

By the way... can I guess that these pics were taken early on the Friday afternoon?

Advertisement

#200 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 23:56

That was either after or before he turned the car around...

By the way... can I guess that these pics were taken early on the Friday afternoon?

Sorry Ray, I can't remember too much regarding the details re time that the photo was taken -

However, here are a couple more shots of Phil Hill taken at Longford in 65 -

Posted Image
Bruce McLaren # 10 and Phil Hill about to climb aboard # 11

Posted Image
Phil Hill lining up alongside Jim Clark