Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#1951 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 00:54

I have just checked the AGP history and this photo is not shown,Howard Norman took all the shots in the book.Maybe you can locate all his photos Ray they would be an interesting history.There must be 1000s of
old photos hidden away in collections.

Advertisement

#1952 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:04

Posted Image

KB in M10 Mclaren coming off The Causeway at Warwick Farm followed by Leo Geoghegan in Lotus 59 Waggott. Not sure who is driving the other McLaren (Allan Hamilton or Niel Allen?) Then it looks like Max Stewart in the Mildren Waggott.
Dale.

#1953 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:24

That would be Allan Hamilton, Dale... very nice pic too...

Originally posted by John Medley
Not sure, but perhaps Eric Coleman or Toleman?

You don't think it might be Jack Nelson, John?

Ken, I could probably arrange to get hold of the ones Chevron have, which includes the one above and a number of others, possibly even the AGP book ones. But people around Adelaide must have hundreds of them, and it might be a good project for the SCC of SA to chase them up.

Back to lesser things, anyone ever heard of a circuit near Ballarat called 'Scothchman's Lead'?

Posted Image

Here's a race start there... and here's local driver Graham McQuinn in his Austin 7 Special... spare chassis in the ute (Bedford or Prefect) behind him, and that must be the Ron Eaton Renault Dauphine (with widies, yet!) to the left...

Posted Image

Also, while you're racking brains and thinking hard about late fifties Ballarat events, what about Magpie Hill? I think it was another one near Ballarat, but I could be wrong, Ron did get around a bit. Here's the start:

Posted Image

And here's the crew running the show, looking very 'bush'... wonder if they were running under CAMS or AASA?

Posted Image

Can't be too far from town, somebody went out there in an 803cc Minor! Oh, and to demonstrate that the 'rot' Stan talks about affected things way back then... here's a towmaster competing:

Posted Image

The pics might have been under and overexposed, Peter, but they capture the atmosphere, and they give us a broader appreciation of how the need to compete drove people in those simpler days.

By the way, Dale, here's your pic of the BT23E with a little bit of adjustment:

Posted Image

#1954 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:54

Wahgunyah Speedway - it still exists!!

www.wahgunyahspeedway.websyte.com.au/

And 50th Anniversary coming up so it must have started in the late 1950s.

#1955 john medley

john medley

• 1,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:09

It was Allan Tomlinson that told me it was Eric Coleman. The VSCCWA Newsletter Jan 2003 captioned the pic some years ago Eric Toleman....

#1956 john medley

john medley

• 1,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:13

It was Allan Tomlinson that told me it was Eric Coleman. The VSCCWA Newsletter Jan 2003 captioned the pic some years ago Eric Toleman....

I was through Corowa/Wahgunyah 2 weeks ago, wondered where the circuit was, obviously should have tried a little harder to locate it

#1957 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:15

Wahgunyah track today. The houses to the right are the edge of town.

Posted Image

#1958 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:59

Posted Image
By kevbart

Just a quickie back to 1958 Albert Park

#1959 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:06

1957 AGP Caversham: the mysterious "thing" on the front of the Len Lukey Cooper Bristol can be seen to be a screen to keep flying rocks, locusts, small birds and other macro debris from entering the air intake and remodelling the engine. The rear of the "box", another photo shows, is open and unscreened.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1960 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:49

Posted Image
By kevbart

There is one other start I must find.

#1961 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:58

Posted Image
By kevbart

Here 'tis

#1962 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:48

Thanks KB, great photos. :up:

#1963 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:15

Probably stating the obvious here....

The start of a heat of the Melbourne Grand Prix...

Jack Brabham -T45 Cooper
Ted Gray - Tornado
G W Patterson - T ? Cooper

Love the look on Jack's face

Stan

#1964 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:43

Yes, that's Heat 2 Stan, with Patto in the T43. The start of the Sports Car race has Whiteford in the 300S, Pitt in the D-Type and possibly Ron Phillips in the T33 Cooper Jaguar in the middle?

#1965 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:24

Originally posted by Ray Bell

..... I have more pics coming, so I'll clear the decks of the first lot, first there's the Paul England Ausca:

Posted Image

..... thanks again to Ron Eaton and Peter Button.

Ahh...the Ausca - I've lusted over the Ausca since I was a lad in short pants. :love: Just love it! Thank you.

#1966 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:47

Bob Tull, Bathurst, Easter 1964;

Posted Image

#1967 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:59

Pedantry appreciated, Stan...

Items mentioned have been corrected.

Now for a bit more Wahgunyah... with a surprise, perhaps!

Posted Image

Now isn't that a long way removed from the kind of thing you'd associate with the name 'John Blanden'? It does look like the John we all knew, but is it?

These cars are going, as it says in the clip, to Corowa. In other words, I'm concluding, Wahgunyah. So let's have more Wahgunyah, especially to stir David McKinney's emotions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first is obviously at speed, the second clearly not. But at speed there were apparently perils in the bush:

Posted Image

The background to this crashed car looks like photos I've seen previously from Wahgunyah, undoubtedly in Terry Cornelius' scrapbook or something.

Some went to more trouble than running a mere flathead engine there too, however the ubiquitous Customline towmaster is still side-valved:

Posted Image

There's still a bunch more, some hillclimb stuff which I'd like to confirm the identity of, so again we owe a debt of gratitude to Peter for sending Ron's pics through.

Ray,
The picture of the Riley special. I may [will] be wrong but along with its beam axle it appears to have rack and pinion steering, a combination that I didn't think was engineeringly correct ?

Stan's comments on things that aren't quite right.
As a boy looking through English motor mags I would see pictures of an ERA cockpit. What would urk me even back then was the angle of the steering column and wheel. I would often wonder why they didn't put in the extra effort like all the others?

Some years later in my hometown of Boulder a friend and I went to see an Allard sports car that had been bought by a local enthusiast. On seeing it we both remarked on its ugly exaggerated XK 120 looks.
Over the years it moved on and eventually ended up in Melbourne. My friend came across it at Phillip Island a few years back.
He later found a picture of the Allard K3 that was in a copy of "Australian Classic Car Monthly" for February 1994. It was a Sutton's Rally entry 175.

My tastes must have matured somewhat for now it doesn't look too bad.

#1968 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:23

Originally posted by GeoffR
Wahgunyah Speedway - it still exists!!
www.wahgunyahspeedway.websyte.com.au/
And 50th Anniversary coming up so it must have started in the late 1950s.

see fixture list
http://www.community...nyahspeedway/1/
RL

#1969 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:22

Quote: The picture of the Riley special. I may [will] be wrong but along with its beam axle it appears to have rack and pinion steering, a combination that I didn't think was engineeringly correct ? Wileyman.

No, but it was probably a lot better than half a turn of slack which came with the original steering.

As the axle bounces up and down the toe-in would change, but given they're racing on oiled dirt with ridges and potholes, and skinny x-ply tyres with as much grip as a cake of soap in the bottom of your shower recess, I doubt anyone would notice the effects.

Probably a successful trade-off.

#1970 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:41

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Nice to see u back

Yes Norman Hamilton and his Porsche RS were a formidable class competitor in our glory days...always a gutssy performer ...

It was driven at Longford by the elusive Bruce Walton with great verve ....

but was never followed up by a fair dinkum RSK

Hamiltons were the Victorian Porsche distibutors..but the Lotus Elevens were better and so we went back to mythology etc

Stan

Yes it would be! (Nice to see u back)...I would pop some verve :up:

Can anyone ID the powder blue car to the left of #86 at Mount Druitt...looks interesting, the hint of a kamm tail, distinctive spoked wheels...and a fast back??? :confused:

#1971 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:08

I assume you are referring to #86 as the D-Type in post #1883? I had a look at that myself and thought it rather interesting, but there is not a lot to go on. I too would love to know more.

In reference to the Riley Special photo, I noticed earlier that it had to be 1958 or later because of the FC wagon in the background.

#1972 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,726 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:45

Originally posted by David Shaw
I assume you are referring to #86 as the D-Type in post #1883? I had a look at that myself and thought it rather interesting, but there is not a lot to go on. I too would love to know more.

Not much of a mystery, I suspect...

I think it's facing the opposite direction, that's the front, people are playing with the engine.

Posted Image

Maybe the Citröen Special?

#1973 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 21:00

oh wow

Yes David that is the Phillips Cooper Jaguar in the middle. I think it is fair to say this was the first meeting that the car began to show its potential after its unhappy start in Australia.

The term "race" was a misnomer because it was really a matter of who finished second to Whiteford - usually Bill Pitt in the D Type, but over the 2 weekend meeting, Pitt had trouble with both the Cooper Jaguar and not surprisingly, Derek Jolly's Lotus XV. Actually, in retrospect, the Lotus XV even at 1500cc shuld have been able to see off both Jaguar-engined cars on that circuit.

The two never-seen before pics of the 300S are sensational and it is a big thrill fo see Moss and Whiteford in the same shot...........

Stan

#1974 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 21:27

I'm after some thoughts here. Not my personal photos but I've recently unearthed some copies of a purely Tasmanian motoring publication covering the period 1968-1970 that were amongst some boxes of old maps & other paraphenalia I was given some time ago. As well as general motoring content they also have pics of various Tassie race meetings, incl Gold Star, ATCC etc, which may be of interest.
The publication has long been defunct, the editor/publisher is no longer with us and I can find no trace of the attributed photographer. Question is, in these circumstances would there be any copyright issues with posting some of the pics here (if they scan OK)?

#1975 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 23:44

Posted Image

Leo Geoghegan Lotus 59 Waggott leads Max Stewart Mildren Waggott. Causeway Warwick Farm.

Dale.

#1976 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:33

Originally posted by GeoffR
I'm after some thoughts here. Not my personal photos but I've recently unearthed some copies of a purely Tasmanian motoring publication covering the period 1968-1970 that were amongst some boxes of old maps & other paraphenalia I was given some time ago. As well as general motoring content they also have pics of various Tassie race meetings, incl Gold Star, ATCC etc, which may be of interest.
The publication has long been defunct, the editor/publisher is no longer with us and I can find no trace of the attributed photographer. Question is, in these circumstances would there be any copyright issues with posting some of the pics here (if they scan OK)?

Given the circumstances, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Also, if possible would you be able to scan any Gold Star information from them for me to possibly utilise on my website please?

#1977 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:44

Posted Image
By kevbart

There is more later

#1978 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:03

Great pics again KB, Lukey in his Cooper Bristol.

#1979 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:49

Given the circumstances, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Also, if possible would you be able to scan any Gold Star information from them for me to possibly utilise on my website please?

Thanks David. I'll have a play around & see what I can come up with.

Advertisement

#1980 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:23

Kevin; just re-size to 640 X 320 and you have it nailed!

Posted Image

#1981 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:41

Posted Image
By kevbart

Can't find a 640x320 only 640X480, so here goes

#1982 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:03

They just keep coming. Think I might have a spell now.Posted Image
By kevbart

#1983 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:11

Sorry, my typo mistake; you have it now.

Keep posting; wonderful atmospheric photos!

#1984 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:55

Yes Ray, the blue car in the earlier photo is the Citroen special, seen here again at Mt. Druitt in July 1957. Also seen are 81 George Websdale MG, 103 Jim Johnson MG , 9 Howard Hunt MG s/c , Ray Walmsley Alfa GMC.
They really packed them in on the starting grid in those days !

Posted Image

#1985 john medley

john medley

• 1,156 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:19

Great photos, folks!

Love ex Speedway racer Ted Gray's opposite lock stance in the Tornado Corvette in front of the Stan Jones 250F

My (incomplete) take on Mt Druitt startline claustrophobia:
1st row: 81 George Websdale MG TC, 9 ?Hunt MG TA/TC Special, Jim Johnson MGTC Special, 20 Don Wright Citroen Special, Gordon Stewart Wheeler Fortune MG Special

2nd row:19 Ray Wamsley Alfa Alvis, ??????,George Pearse Cooper MG, maybe Ken Bennett Austin Healey 100-4...

I think I see the red Jack Robinson Jaguar in the background, but nothing rings a bell for that red car next to the Alfa Alvis in row 2. Anyone?

#1986 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:36

Fanstastic seeing Mt Druitt in its heyday in glorious colour.

Ray Bell took me there a few years ago (well okay many years ago) when there wasn't much left except a wavy line in the surviving tarmac where Belf Jones had been with his backhoe.

That's a slightly hazardous tree by the start line, right?

#1987 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:27

Here is the Citroen Special (well, half of it anyway) at the top of Percy's Pinch, King Edward Park, 14 Sep 63, in the hands of Don James;

Posted Image

#1988 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:47

Yes indeedy... that does look like the great man himself in jeans back there...

that does look like the great man himself in dungarees? back there ..

I was about 14 or 15 when the jeans craze hit...they were more industrial wear when first released and the cuffs were usually worn as, well cuffs. Stovepipe style came a tad later. So...maybe early 1960s??

#1989 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:52

Originally posted by John Ellacott
Posted Image

The car on the front row, inboard of #20 looks for all the world like a rear engined device...a Cooper??

#1990 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:03

I say chaps

Anybody going to the 'Island next weekend?

Taking the old Jag down and a hamper of goodies on the Friday...damned if i will bother with the V8 crowd on Saturday or SundaY

Look for Potter Hills Road

Stan

#1991 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:38

Leo Geoghegan Lotus 59 Waggott leads Max Stewart Mildren Waggott. Causeway Warwick Farm

With the ubiquitous tractor in the background. I seem to recall a pic of one A Moffat sitting disconsolately on it after his GT-HO expired, costing him the ATCC?

Anyway, some others - Sir Jack at (I presume) Longford? Taken going under the Viaduct?
Posted Image

Warm up lap - 1967 South Pacific Cup, Longford, Tas
Posted Image

Kevin Bartlett - Mildren Alfa V8 - 2nd place 1969 Gold Star Race, Symmons Plains, Tas
Posted Image

I will be there Stan, but only on Saturday & Sunday - so I can see the touring cars in all their glory :p

Not! - actually my daughter has just started a course at SQIT with Doug Partington who has suggested I have a good look at John Sheppard's Maybach 2.

#1992 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:51

I use to work in a building that john blanden use to visit when he came to perth and we caught up regularly to talk cars and he always told me he had been involved in motorsport in the 1950's in Ballarat where he came from and possibly raced a MG TC but this the first real documented item great to see
regards terry

Now isn't that a long way removed from the kind of thing you'd associate with the name 'John Blanden'? It does look like the John we all knew, but is it?

These cars are going, as it says in the clip, to Corowa. In other words, I'm concluding, Wahgunyah. So let's have more Wahgunyah, especially to stir David McKinney's emotions:

#1993 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 13:08

Maybach 2?

As in destroyed at Southport?

Steady

Stan

#1994 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 15:57

I am positive the light blue healey on row 2 is the ken bennett car #98

My (incomplete) take on Mt Druitt startline claustrophobia:
1st row: 81 George Websdale MG TC, 9 ?Hunt MG TA/TC Special, Jim Johnson MGTC Special, 20 Don Wright Citroen Special, Gordon Stewart Wheeler Fortune MG Special

2nd row:19 Ray Wamsley Alfa Alvis, ??????,George Pearse Cooper MG, maybe Ken Bennett Austin Healey 100-4...

I think I see the red Jack Robinson Jaguar in the background, but nothing rings a bell for that red car next to the Alfa Alvis in row 2. Anyone?

#1995 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 20:25

Maybach 2?
As in destroyed at Southport?

So what is the history of this car? It is on the PI entry list as Maybach 2, and I assume that John Sheppard is the same as who prepared Bob Jane's and the HDT cars.

#1996 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 20:58

The answer to the Maybach question can be found by entering "Maybach Special" in Search BB

#1997 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 22:44

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
I say chaps

Anybody going to the 'Island next weekend?

Taking the old Jag down and a hamper of goodies on the Friday...damned if i will bother with the V8 crowd on Saturday or SundaY

Look for Potter Hills Road

Stan

Hoping to be there Friday, certainly planning to be there Saturday and Sunday. Words for Motor Racing Australia and pictures for Motorsport.

Stan, I sort of agree with you re the V8s - which is why I'm going to the Island, rather than Eastern Creek which is ten minutes from my front door.

But like it or not, sedans are a big part of our racing history. The attracted (right or wrong) the best drivers, teams, sponsors, media and promotors. We ignore history at our peril, lest we repeat it.

Bruce Moxon

#1998 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:43

I am coming down to Phillip Island for the weekend and hope to see some of you.My mobile is 0417 435 987 if anyone wants to get in touch.
Re the Mt. Druitt Start photo, the Alfa had gone to GMC truck power by then.
The far car on the front row had not registed as being the Wheeler Fortune because I had thought of it as being red as it was later. The Don Wright Citroen is being driven by Ian Steele. Another red car which could be the one on the second row was the Peter Lovett Maserati 4 CL
Does anyone know what is happening with the Citroen since it made a brief appearance at the Tasman Revival 18 months ago.

#1999 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:55

Posted Image
By kevbart

Can anyone confirm whether the MG on Jack's right is the Vince Profilio mount, looks like his spindly frame alongside. Hope I spelt Vince's name correctly if it is him. John Medley this is right up your alley
It's Bathurst 1960

Advertisement

#2000 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:57

Posted Image

John Hicks two wheeling the FJ into the last corner at King Edward Park hillclimb 1967.