• 1,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:07

Awesome photo Dale!

Advertisement

#2002 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:15

Maybach confusion.Maybach 11 was replacement for Maybach 1.It as we know was destroyed at Southport
in 1954 and then maybach 111 was built and was very successful,when it received the Corvette engine in
1956 it became Maybach 1V,The present owner Peter Briggs always refers to it as Maybach 111.as we know
it was wrecked at Phillip Island some years ago and it was rebuilt better than ever.What i want to know
is this car and the new Maybach 11 replicas of the originals.

#2003 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:53

Meanwhile the Maybach Mk2, which was wrecked...in the 1954 Australian Grand Prix, is nearing the end of an exacting re-creation by former Holden Dealer Team boss and VHRR member John Sheppard

http://forums.autosp...Maybach Special

It would appear that Maybach 2 at least is a replica.

#2004 john medley

john medley

• 1,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:56

Kevin
Probably a bit late for Vincent Profilio(I hear, by the way, that he works from time to time with Noel Anderson at Sportscar Spares)

I havent a copy handy of that Bathurst book that you and I wrote a word or two in, but my guess is one of the Bruderlin and Thomas cars( after your Jim Downie days you would recognize the number), probably when owned by Ecurie Lismore(Max Williams?) or one of the Kelley brothers from Newcastle

By the way, love your Albert Park photos. They prove the dribbling enthusiast in all of us

#2005 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 677 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:57

Great photos KB - and to think that you took up driving after all the easy work on the grid taking photos - enjoyed all your efforts in NZ.

#2006 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,618 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:39

Since returning from a trip to Australia to visit his daughter, my old friend (and TNF 'lurker' and former Oulton Park habitué) Howard Morgan has struggled to restrain his enthusiasm following a visit to Longford, where he called at the old Country Club Hotel and sent me these photos from the museum which is housed there.
He also loaned me the DVD of 'A long weekend at Longford' which has some great footage of the the 1964 Australian TT with Matich and Stilwell in Lotus 19 and Cooper Monaco, and of the South Pacific Trophy won by Graham Hill.

Posted Image Posted Image
The slightly morbid exhibit of the stone which Tim Mayer hit, and a plaque signifying the spot where Lex Davison collided with the pub wall in 1963
Last shot is of the approach to Pub Corner

#2007 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:51

Some terrific footage of the Tasman series was shown at the Jim Clark Film Festival, always a very positive experience for Jim and Team Lotus. Great photos, the Antipodes has a great racing history.

#2008 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,729 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:00

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Since returning from a trip to Australia to visit his daughter, my old friend (and TNF 'lurker' and former Oulton Park habitué) Howard Morgan has struggled to restrain his enthusiasm following a visit to Longford, where he called at the old Country Club Hotel and sent me these photos from the museum which is housed there.
He also loaned me the DVD of 'A long weekend at Longford' which has some great footage of the the 1964 Australian TT with Matich and Stillwell in Lotus 19 and Cooper Monaco, and of the South Pacific Trophy won by Graham Hill.

The slightly morbid exhibit of the stone which Tim Mayer hit, and a plaque signifying the spot where Lex Davidson collided with the pub wall in 1963

Couple of things here...

Timmy Mayer never hit a stone, he hit a plane tree, which I think you'll find was a smaller version of the trees on the left in your pic of the approach to the pub corner. Of course, the road now has a hump in it that was never there, just like virtually all of the rest of the circuit has been systematically destroyed. The stone was a memorial marker.

'Davison' is the correct spelling... is it right on the plaque?

That plan of the circuit looks interesting. Must check that out some time, not that I get to Tassie often. Once in the past thirty years.

I've made the mistake of leaving the memory sticks to which I saved Ron Eaton's photos, so I can't post any more until I get home about Tuesday week. In the meantime, we're on the track of some others...

How many of you Poms are lurking on this thread, by the way? I learned yesterday that Erol Richardson is lurking and occasionally posts. Is that the right spelling, I wonder?

Poor chap... it's only two and a half decades since I saw him and he's aged 25 years!

#2009 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:47

Kevin, as John does not have his Bathurst book to hand, I can tell you, from the same source that car 132 is M Williams MG special. John no doubt can tell you much more.
Regards John.

#2010 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:48

This photo from Silverdale 24 Jul 66 may interest Erol;

Posted Image

And yes; it's always been "Erol" as far as I recall but I hope that he will confirm and also tell us something of his fine hillclimbing performances (in somewhat quicker cars than the Austin Special above :) ).

#2011 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,618 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:47

Originally posted by Ray Bell
'Davison' is the correct spelling... is it right on the plaque?

You're correct in supposing, Ray, that the spelling on the plaque is incorrect. Oops, some poor attention to detail there.
Was the memorial stone to Tim Mayer originally located at the site of his accident? Not quite so morbid, then, as I had suggested.

I can assure you, Ray, that a lot of Poms are fascinated by the stuff that you chaps are posting on this thread. Some great quality photos, as well as memories. Back in the sixties, all we, in the UK, would read of racing in the Antipodes would be coverage of the Tasman series.

#2012 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,200 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 22:16

I can assure you, Ray, that a lot of Poms are fascinated by the stuff that you chaps are posting on this thread. Some great quality photos, as well as memories. Back in the sixties, all we, in the UK, would read of racing in the Antipodes would be coverage of the Tasman series.

Yes, indeed.

#2013 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 22:55

Posted Image
Barrie Garner Bowin Holden King Edward Park hillclimb

Posted Image
Ian Fergusson Bowin Ford King Edward Park hillclimb.

Both cars have the same chassis but very different engines.

#2014 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:04

Posted Image
Bill Brown P4 Ferrari Bathurst 1968. IIRC the P4 set a record speed down Conrod Straight of 181.2 MPH.

#2015 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:04

Where is this hillclimb? you certainly wouldn't want to go over the edge.

#2016 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:08

Back in the sixties, all we, in the UK, would read of racing in the Antipodes would be coverage of the Tasman series.

...but you could have read reports of the major national races in Australia and New Zealand as well if you'd bought Autosport instead of that newspaper thing

#2017 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:09

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
Posted Image
Bill Brown P4 Ferrari Bathurst 1968. IIRC the P4 set a record speed down Conrod Straight of 181.2 MPH.

Such a beautiful car, do you know what happened to it later in its career? No safety barriers in those days. :eek:

#2018 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,618 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:15

Originally posted by David McKinney
...but you could have read reports of the major national races in Australia and New Zealand as well if you'd bought Autosport instead of that newspaper thing

..couldn't afford it, David. In those days MN was 6d, while Autosport was five times the price at 2/6d. I used to get 1/- a week pocket money. The other 6d might be spent on a Mars bar to eat while reading "that newspaper thing".

#2019 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:48

King Edward Park is on the oceanfront in central Newcastle; one of the great hillclimb venues of all time.

The start was at a surf pavilion on the beachfront; wind-driven sand & spray often made things difficult on the start and up the cliff-hugging first section.

The drops were protected by sandbags; hand-filled & placed the day before an event and removed the day after. Hard yakka!

I have quite a few photos from the 1963 event; I was going to post them in the future but, since the subject has arisen, here are a few;

Ralph Sach (Nota Din) near the top of Percy's (or Perce's) Pinch; named after a local newsagent & enthusiast, Percy Pigeon;

Posted Image

Sach & Nota Din were very successful in hillclimbs of the period.

It wasn't exclusively for cars;

Posted Image

and these blokes must have been grateful for the fence that protected them from the sheer drop to rocks & the ocean;

Posted Image

This kart (a Carlson frame with a Komet motor, I am informed by a friend who races historic karts) did demonstration runs, heralded each time by a cry from the announcer (Alan Strachan, a local enthusiast) of "It's a man on wheels!".

Posted Image

This must have given Dick Shoebridge & others ideas as highly-modified karts (Voodoo etc) appeared in hillclimbing soon afterwards.

They probably used higher rear tyre pressures than our intrepid demonstrator. :)

Advertisement

#2020 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 00:00

And, on the subject of Ferraris at Bathurst, here is a Ferrari well-known in Australian motor sport;

Posted Image

This photo has no identification; I think it's 1962 or 1963 and I guess that it's Spencer Martin but I would appreciate advice from the experts.

#2021 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:10

The LM250 debuted at Sandown in February 1965. Lovely photo of it going through McPhillamy.

The photo of the P4 clearly shows how badly the surface had deteriorated by 1968.

#2022 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:24

I guessed at 62/63 but I did wonder if that was too early for the car; clearly so.

I have no Bathurst photos later than 64; this is an odd-one-out, the rest of whatever I took the year I shot the LM must be long gone.

:(

#2023 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:08

Chris Amon in the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari P4 Warwick Farm February 1968. I will leave it to Ray to tell us about the race with Matich.

Posted Image

#2024 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:14

Magnificent photo!

#2025 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:02

Originally posted by plannerpower
Magnificent photo!

Magnificent car/driver combination :clap:

#2026 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:27

Originally posted by plannerpower
And, on the subject of Ferraris at Bathurst, here is a Ferrari well-known in Australian motor sport;

Posted Image

This photo has no identification; I think it's 1962 or 1963 and I guess that it's Spencer Martin but I would appreciate advice from the experts.

Is that McPhillarmy? I'd have thought it was further up the road - the first or second apex at Reid Park.

Either way, I wish there was a way to travel back in time - to see and hear those magnificent cars at Bathurst.

And John, add my vote of thanks for the pic of the P4 at Warwick Farm. Lovely car, lovely shot.

Bruce Moxon

#2027 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:50

I assumed it was McPhillamy as the run from McPhillamy to Skyline is the only really flat bit of road across the top.

#2028 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:38

I also think it is McPhillamy, the gates would be just out of the shot on the left. He is not using much road though.

#2029 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:52

Yes, I noticed the same CP. You could probably conclude that it wasn't taken during a race. Is that Ron Thorp's Cobra following him, just around the corner?

#2030 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:31

I can tell when someone is trying, I have exited that corner on full right lock! (but I didn't have a bank and a timber fence to avoid!) :cool:

#2031 rms

rms

• 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:38

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I learned yesterday that Erol Richardson is lurking and occasionally posts. Is that the right spelling, I wonder?

Poor chap... it's only two and a half decades since I saw him and he's aged 25 years!

Yes, that is the correct spelling Ray.
When I saw you on Saturday I could have sworn it was a LOT more than 25 years.

Plannerpower, where did you dig that picture up from ?
King Edward Park was the most challenging and rewarding hillclimb I ever drove.

#2032 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 20:06

"Plannerpower, where did you dig that picture up from ?"

I took it with my own fair hands, all those years ago. :)

I will PM you to get your e-mail address and send you a copy.

Apropos the 250LM; it certainly isn't trying; in the centre of the track and no body roll.

After about 15 000 sleeps I can't remember the circumstances in which it was taken. :)

#2033 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:52

King Edward Park was the most challenging and rewarding hillclimb I ever drove

I remember watching when you set the record at 43.24 in the SCV and spun the thing after the finish line to stop it. A fantastic run!.
Dale.

#2034 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:52

Originally posted by David Shaw
Yes, I noticed the same CP. You could probably conclude that it wasn't taken during a race. Is that Ron Thorp's Cobra following him, just around the corner?

That fence you see lower left is the famous Bill Brown one he tried to remove. Yes it is McPhillamy Park corner and Ron Thorpe's Cobra about to enter it. I have worked on that Cobra over the last 12 mths at the David Bowden collection and it's still as raced back then. Certainly an odd position on the track for the 250 LM.Think the year was 1966. With KIWI Andy Buchanan at the wheel.

#2035 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:57

Posted Image

And speaking of the Ron Thorpe Cobra, here he is at King Edward Park hillclimb 1967.

#2036 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 23:03

Posted Image

KB in the Brabham Alfa at Warwick Farm. Not sure when.

#2037 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 23:30

This is one of my shots of the Ron Thorpe Cobra at Caversham 6Hr 1966.Probably not the best shot.

RL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#2038 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 23:45

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
Posted Image

KB in the Brabham Alfa at Warwick Farm. Not sure when.

That was the Gold Star final of 1968 for the Hordern Trophy. I took the race, the opposition was fierce, Leo Geoghegan, Frank Gardner were on the pace , however both faltered, I lost clutch hydraulics so had a lucky win which gave me the championship that year

#2039 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:45

Way back up this thread I posted these 2 pics. Kevin Bartlett and co, Bathurst 68. I thought I'd put them up again in case KB missed them.

Posted Image

Closeup

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2040 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:50

Sorry, wrong enlargement (too many thumbnails, not enough eyesight)

Posted Image

#2041 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:10

I found a slide of Erol Richardson (Cooper), Silverdale 22 Mar 70;

Posted Image

With respect to the car, Erol has advised that it was Clive Osborne's ex-Youl 2.5; Erol used this car and his Rennmax to win the 1970 NSW HCC.

EDIT; spelling of "Osborne" corrected. Thanks, Kevin.

#2042 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:03

[URL]

With respect to the car, Erol has advised that it was Clive Osbourne's ex-Youl 2.5; Erol used this car and his Rennmax to win the 1970 NSW HCC. [/B][/QUOTE]

Slight correction on Cooper owner at the time, his name spelt as Clive Osborne. He owned quite a few Climax engined cars when he was alive. I'll see if his wife can find some pics for TNF.

#2043 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:21

Originally posted by Catalina Park
I also think it is McPhillamy, the gates would be just out of the shot on the left. He is not using much road though.

Happy to be found wrong - but I thought McPhillarmy had more of a drop on the inside; Reid Park is, these days, mostly built up on the inside.

And yeah, I'll argue with anyone - ask my wife!

Whether McPhillarmy or Reid Park - a magnificent car in a classic setting.

King Edward Park still hosts an annual round of the NSW Hillclimb Championship.

Bruce Moxon

#2044 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:06

Originally posted by Bruce R Moxon

King Edward Park still hosts an annual round of the NSW Hillclimb Championship.

The photos seen in this thread show what a beautiful setting it is for a Hillclimb too.

#2045 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:06

I have corrected the spelling of "Osborne"; thanks, Kevin.

In fact, entirely serendipitously, I saw it spelled correctly in something I was reading this afternoon, came in to correct it and found that my error had been exposed to the world; ya gotta be quick (and correct) 'round 'ere! :)

The Cooper photo shows (or seems to show, as photos can deceive) the anti-Ackermann geometry that was popular around this time; the outside front wheel is turned-in more than the inside one, contrary to Ackermann's principle.

This was done because it was realised that the outside wheel was much more loaded than the inside one and, therefore, required a greater slip angle.

#2046 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:15

Originally posted by John Ellacott
I am coming down to Phillip Island for the weekend and hope to see some of you.My mobile is 0417 435 987 if anyone wants to get in touch.
Re the Mt. Druitt Start photo, the Alfa had gone to GMC truck power by then.
The far car on the front row had not registed as being the Wheeler Fortune because I had thought of it as being red as it was later. The Don Wright Citroen is being driven by Ian Steele. Another red car which could be the one on the second row was the Peter Lovett Maserati 4 CL
Does anyone know what is happening with the Citroen since it made a brief appearance at the Tasman Revival 18 months ago.

Make sure you get yourself over to the Isle of Wight pub on the Saturday evening John....and, take some pictures at the track :up: Cheers, Mick

#2047 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:17

Not to take this thread too far OT, but King Edward Park was once one of the most beautiful parks in Australia.

There was an army of gardeners who manicured every blade of grass and nurtured every rose.

It was wonderful to see racing cars blasting up the hill beside the Sunken Garden flower beds.

Now the park is a sad shadow of its former glory; some of that glory, albeit in monochrome, may be seen here;

http://www.pictureau...set-658325&no=1

#2048 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 13:43

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Way back up this thread I posted these 2 pics. Kevin Bartlett and co, Bathurst 68. I thought I'd put them up again in case KB missed them.
Closeup

Posted Image

Looks like Damon Beck on the left, if I'm not mistaken...

#2049 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 20:24

Originally posted by seldo
Looks like Damon Beck on the left, if I'm not mistaken...

Spot on. It's Damon talking to my Dad, John Moxon, who team-managed the VW against which he's leaning - the Garry Campbell / Gerry Murphy car. You can tell it's Damon, 'cause he's talking.

And if you're reading this Damon, best wishes.

Bruce Moxon

#2050 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 23:06

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Frank Matich and the Matich A53 Friday practice Oran Park Tasman Round 1974. From memory the Repco Holden engine was fitted with a flat plane crankshaft. I think the fellow with no shirt on talking to Frank is Peter Gethin.I also believe Ray Bell is in the background of the first shot.