Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8719 replies to this topic

#2101 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 22:29

Originally posted by sterling49
if it was 1968, did nobody race Mk2 Cortinas?

I only recall one being raced here by Jim McKeown.

Advertisement

#2102 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 22:46

More from Catalina.

Posted Image
Alan Barrow's FJ Holden

Posted Image
Leo Geoghegan Lotus 39 Repco

Posted Image
Niel Allen Elfin Traco Chev.

January 28th 1968.

#2103 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 23:01

Originally posted by sterling49
That's the tool that "Yogi" learnt his trade in then

I think he actually learnt his trade in an FJ Holden (like the green car above)
But I'm a bit of a Stan on these matters and might well be wrong

#2104 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 23:20

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
More from Catalina.

Posted Image
Alan Barrow's FJ Holden

Nice Mark 1 Cortina behind the FJ, was that not getting a little long in the tooth? Seeing that the Cortina was an "Airflow" model, therefore 1965 model year. I guess they must have still been competitive though, V-8 lump?

#2105 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 23:27

It appears to be a Cortina 440 road car. Our GTs had the stainless? trim down the sides.

#2106 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 23:38

Originally posted by seldo

...it is getting very tiresome....

Far too much so.

And he was warned, on more than one occasion...

#2107 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:54

Ray is probably the best man for this one but can anyone cast any light on an MG Midget fast-back hardtop that I seem to recall was a local "works" car driven by Foley and/or Skelton? I think it had a sort of chopped-off "kamm" tail and looked a bit like a shrunken Ferrari 250 GTO ( that's a very loose and sacriligeous description...)

#2108 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:18

Originally posted by Twin Window
Far too much so.

Thank you

#2109 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:56

Originally posted by sandy

Thank you

I'll save my "thank you's" until something is done about this menace :|

#2110 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:53

Ray is probably the best man for this one but can anyone cast any light on an MG Midget fast-back hardtop that I seem to recall was a local "works" car driven by Foley and/or Skelton? I think it had a sort of chopped-off "kamm" tail and looked a bit like a shrunken Ferrari 250 GTO ( that's a very loose and sacriligeous description...)

David you probably?possibly? mean this one....

http://www.spritecar...ad/TeamToad.htm

#2111 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 13:30

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

David you probably?possibly? mean this one....

http://www.spritecar...ad/TeamToad.htm

That was exactly the one I meant. Thanks :)

#2112 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 22:39

Here is a few of Big Pete. First at Bathurst and the other two at Oran Park.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2113 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:04

That was exactly the one I meant. Thanks :)

In addition to the history in the link, the car was owned and campaigned in historic events in WA by Frank Van der Worm for several years during the late 80's to mid 90's. At that time the car appeared very original, and was a strong performer.

#2114 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:17

Originally posted by Haggis 2

In addition to the history in the link, the car was owned and campaigned in historic events in WA by Frank Van der Worm for several years during the late 80's to mid 90's. At that time the car appeared very original, and was a strong performer.

#2115 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:39

Here is a few of Big Pete.

Great Mustang pics! :clap:

#2116 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:29

Far too much so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just when has it been a rule that if you don,t agree with comments on this forum ,that you get a message like the above one to Stan he is having his SAY and quite rightly so. What do you know about the Australian way of thinking that racing anything other than a TAXI is just a waste of time.You live in the UK and have never been here.
David Seldon and 274GTB-4,and other have a nerve complaining about Stan ,if they want to talk about taxis get onto the 10/10 site it speaks their narrow way of thinking and TNF can get back to the good old days before they came along.
The days of free speech seem to have gone if your one who want to tell the truth.and it offends some who have not tryed to think outside the square.
A sad day for TNF :down: :down: :down:

#2117 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:30

Originally posted by eldougo
Just when has it been a rule that if you don,t agree with comments on this forum ,that you get a message like the above one to Stan he is having his SAY and quite rightly so.

Surprisingly, given my past criticism of Stan's attitude, I would hate to see him get banned because he has been a valuable contributor at times. But on the other hand I would hate to see him continue as he has of late.

I don't think it is about disagreeing with Stan's comments, more that he is continually dragging the thread off track in the same direction.

Why does Stan have to whinge in here? I think he is complaining to the wrong people as I don't know anybody that frequents this forum that would rather see and talk about V8 Supercars than Climax engined Coopers and the like.

Originally posted by eldougo David Seldon and 274GTB-4,and other have a nerve complaining about Stan ,if they want to talk about taxis get onto the 10/10 site it speaks their narrow way of thinking and TNF can get back to the good old days before they came along.

I'm here to talk about all racing from days past, be it open-wheelers, sports cars or touring cars. As far as narrow way of thinking, I think that applies to Stan and now you eldougo, as you are the ones being selective and elitist about which motor racing should be discussed here.

#2118 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:07

Just like i said people like you & others have stomped on Stan freedom of speech by complaining to TNF,your being selective about what you want to hear ,only when it goes your way of thinking.It works both ways ,that what TNF should be like. :)

#2119 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:19

Just when has it been a rule that if you don,t agree with comments on this forum ,that you get a message like the above...

It's not so much a question of agreeing or disagreeing with Stan and his opinions, it's more a question of how he went about it. His posts were often rude and inflammatory, to the extent that he became the single most complained-about member on the forum. And, as David says, often off at a tangent.

Part of my role on TNF is to ensure a pleasant environment wherein people from all continents can enjoy discussing their common interest openly in a convivial atmosphere; this was made difficult by the aforementioned at times. It also has to be a democratic arena, and as such the majority opinion is taken into account. I'm sorry you're upset about this, Doug, but I can assure you that you're very much in the minority...

Advertisement

#2120 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:23

It also has to be a democratic arena, and as such the majority opinion is taken into account

Are you saying a majority wanted him banned?

#2121 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:44

No, I'm not. What I said was that the opinions of the majority had to be taken into account. I can't remember anyone ever requesting such actions regarding another member in fact.

But when an individual persistantly ignores my requests for self-moderation and the complaints keep coming in, I was left with no alternative. Solely my descision.

Now can we please get back to the topic in hand? I'd love to see some more photos like the ones of that Mustang a few posts above! Absolute classics!

#2122 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:00

Just like i said people like you & others have stomped on Stan freedom of speech by complaining to TNF,your being selective about what you want to hear ,only when it goes your way of thinking.It works both ways ,that what TNF should be like. :)

I have complained on TNF, not to TNF. Yes, I have been selective about what I want to hear. I don't want to hear about national politics, economics, kitchen curtains or anything else off-topic, including current motor racing. If I want to hear the good or bad about current motor racing, I would go to a different forum.
Remember, it is The Nostalgia Forum.

#2123 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:37

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just when has it been a rule that if you don,t agree with comments on this forum ,that you get a message like the above one to Stan he is having his SAY and quite rightly so. What do you know about the Australian way of thinking that racing anything other than a TAXI is just a waste of time.You live in the UK and have never been here.
David Seldon and 274GTB-4,and other have a nerve complaining about Stan ,if they want to talk about taxis get onto the 10/10 site it speaks their narrow way of thinking and TNF can get back to the good old days before they came along.
The days of free speech seem to have gone if your one who want to tell the truth.and it offends some who have not tryed to think outside the square.

Whoa back there Dougo...This forum is for the benefit of like minded motoring enthusiasts of all tastes and whilst I respect that Stan has his (very strong) opinions of what does and doesn't rank as worthwhile motor-racing, he hasn't the right to rant and rave and denigrate other forms of the sport that happen to differ from his own favourite flavour....just as you and I don't.... Whilst I appreciate and admire the particular classes/drivers about which/whom Stan is so verbose and passionate - fanatical even - I do not try to cram my personal preferences down his throat, nor should he do to others....
I ask/want for no personal reprisals against Stan other than to ask that he moderate his infantile attacks upon any class that doesn't happen to be his particular flavour of the month.... We all have different opinions and likes/dislikes, and a difference of preference is no reason to disrespect another. It is just the same as judging someone due to their race, creed, or political alliance - as long as they don't try to jam those personal allegiances down my throat at the expense of denigrating my differing opinions, we will get along just fine...
If we didn't have these personal preferences we'd all be married to the same woman............. :eek:
Ohh...and I have never made any formal complaint about Stan's posts other than what has been posted publicly here by way of disagreement...

#2124 maoricar

maoricar

• 139 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:23

With many others, I have derived great pleasure; learned a lot and greatly enjoyed this forum.
I am NOT Australian, never lived there, never attended a meeting there..probably never will ( my misfortune !!)
IMO there is a line, imaginary though it might be, that MOST of us never cross (most of the time)
That line relates to temperance and personal attacks; these distract and detract from what is otherwise just the best forum.
Freedom of speech, ALSO implies freedom FROM certain types of speech...that is why we have moderators.
Someone, somewhere; (in this day and age, location is a moot point) has to keep watch...the term itself is appropriate, and the action was appropriate.
Stan is, no doubt, informed, intelligent, and quite likely just the best fellow with which to enjoy a G and T.
Should there be some form of 'reinstatement'....after a 'cooling off' period ?.....I hope so

#2125 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 22:56

Posted Image

Bob Jane leads Jim McKeown heading for the Northern Crossing at Warwick Farm.

Posted Image

An assortment of touring cars exiting the Esses at Warwick Farm.

#2126 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:15

Originally posted by maoricar
With many others, I have derived great pleasure; learned a lot and greatly enjoyed this forum.
I am NOT Australian, never lived there, never attended a meeting there..probably never will ( my misfortune !!)
IMO there is a line, imaginary though it might be, that MOST of us never cross (most of the time)
That line relates to temperance and personal attacks; these distract and detract from what is otherwise just the best forum.
Freedom of speech, ALSO implies freedom FROM certain types of speech...that is why we have moderators.
Someone, somewhere; (in this day and age, location is a moot point) has to keep watch...the term itself is appropriate, and the action was appropriate.
Stan is, no doubt, informed, intelligent, and quite likely just the best fellow with which to enjoy a G and T.
Should there be some form of 'reinstatement'....after a 'cooling off' period ?.....I hope so

Very well said, Thanks

#2127 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:11

Originally posted by Terry Walker.

But not in this thread. It is the only one called "Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to 70's." This is a photo thread, not a "why oh why" thread. Let's keep it that way.

Hear hear!

Sandown, 196? - Alan Hamilton

Posted Image

#2128 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:39

Posted Image
By kevbart

Now this is for Stan who speaks his mind. And it is a special b&w from his beloved Albert Park 1958. Another one of my Box Brownie pics. So its not a great shot. When he asks I can post some more of his favourite subject.:lol:
Stan you missed a great Phlilip Island with the open-wheelers and sports cars dominating the proceedings, with a couple of tin top races for those wanting a break in the excitement.
Stan, instead of criticism why don't you post some of the pics you've taken of the period? :wave:

#2129 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:46

David McKay in the Jaguar, but do we know who is in the Renault 750? Thanks for the great shot KB.

#2130 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:50

Originally posted by David Shaw
David McKay in the Jaguar, but do we know who is in the Renault 750? Thanks for the great shot KB.

David about the only name I can come up with is Bill March, as I raced against him during the next year with my Morris Minor.

#2131 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:01

Alex Smith: Valano, Templestowe 1966
coming...
Posted Image
... and going.
Posted Image

#2132 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:39

Nice shots , thanks for posting them.......... :up:

#2133 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:42

Onelung, do you have any information on that car that might enlighten an ignorant youngster (an admittedly quick Google search did not turn up anything useful)? Was the large rear screen purpose-built, or sourced from somewhere?

Thanks

NPP

#2134 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:01

I guess that the Valano was a Valiant powered car with a Milano body. Milano was a fibreglass body made by JWF Fibreglass. Sam Johnson was the bloke behind making the bodies.

#2135 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:27

Originally posted by onelung
Originally posted by Terry Walker.

Hear hear!

Sandown, 196? - Alan Hamilton

Posted Image

The 906 Spyder debuted at Sandown on 26 February 1967 and ran in the Victorian Sports Car Championship about 6 weeks later. By the end of the year it had reached its customs duty limits and was sold to Richard Wong of Singapore in January 1968.

#2136 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 760 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:08

the Valano was a Valiant powered car with a Milano body

Yes.

The car (or another one) was at the Wakefield Park 'Festival of Sports Cars meeting in October 2007. That is my recollection of the basic description given by the owner, also involved a lengthened body & chassis to accomodate the big straight six.

#2137 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:15

Originally posted by Catalina Park
I guess that the Valano was a Valiant powered car with a Milano body. Milano was a fibreglass body made by JWF Fibreglass. Sam Johnson was the bloke behind making the bodies.

Car now owned/driven by Paul Manton 1964 Valano GT 3700, therefore, slant six on triple webers???

#2138 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:34

274GTB-4??? :evil:

275 GTB/4

The 1966 275 GTB/4 (or 4-cam) was a substantially updated car; built by Scaglietti, it featured new bodywork and was the first Ferrari to not be offered with wire wheels.

Power came from a substantially reworked Colombo V12, still with two valves per cylinder but now with a four-cam engine and six carburettors as standard. In a departure from previous Ferrari designs, the valve angle was reduced three degrees to 54° for a more-compact head. The dual camshafts also allowed the valves to be aligned "correctly" (perpendicular to the camshaft) instead of offset as in the SOHC Ferraris. It was a dry-sump design with a huge 17 qt (16 L) capacity.

The transaxle was also redesigned. A torque tube connected the engine and transmission, rather than allowing them to float free on the body as before. This improved handling, noise, and vibration. Porsche synchronizers were also fitted for improved shifting and reliability.

The 275 GTB/4 could hit 165 mph (266 km/h) with its 300 hp (220 kW). 280 4-cam versions were produced through 1968.

In 2004, Sports Car International named the 275 GTB/4 number seven on the list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s, however, Mick names the 275 GTB/4 as number one on his list of the "Greatest Sportscars he is destined never to own whilst remaining content to tinker with Morris Minis".

PS Doug...I don't talk about Taxis very much, except about the one in Sydney one night that crossed three lanes of traffic in pouring rain to knock me of my motorbike!! :mad:

#2139 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:48

Re the Valano: yes a lengthened Milano with the 225 unit installed in a non-slanted (ie upright) position to enable a lower bonnet line. I know you won't credit that, but that's the way it was. Like it or not..
Rear screen was, I think, a custom blown job, and keeping it in place was a bit of an issue as, I recall, the new owner found out after it was on-sold by Smithy - (ie at high speed - POP!)

May I take this opportunityto remind contributors to this thread that it started out as a photo thread? And it would be just great to keep it that way allowing, of course, text which identifies or adds information/value to the images posted herewithin. Thankyou.

Advertisement

#2140 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 15:26

Whilst I wasn't fortunate enough to get to Phillip Island, a friend sent me some photos
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2141 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 17:17

Are you sure that it wasn't the 904 bergspyder that went to Singapore David?

Alan modified this car even further after this (the roof was originally removed so he could fit I think). He later removed the FG hoop behind his head and replace with a single seater type rollover bar. He also cut the back off it A'la 917! By then (71) it was painted a lovely shade of brown and was also Green at one stage I think.

Originally posted by David Shaw

The 906 Spyder debuted at Sandown on 26 February 1967 and ran in the Victorian Sports Car Championship about 6 weeks later. By the end of the year it had reached its customs duty limits and was sold to Richard Wong of Singapore in January 1968.

#2142 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 20:07

My source is John Blanden's Historic Racing Cars in Australia Vol 2. It states that the Bergspyder was imported late in 1965 along with a 906 space frame chassis and body panels. It was envisaged that the running gear from the Bergspyder would be transferred to the 906, but this didn't occur until late 1966.

In 1967, Jim Abbott brought the remains of the Bergspyder, fitted a Ford V8 and then raced and hillclimbed it for a few years. It was eventually restored to original spec. and took part in activities at the 1985 Australian Grand Prix.

#2143 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 20:19

Posted Image

Bob Jane leads Jim McKeown heading for the Northern Crossing at Warwick Farm.

Great shot of a Mustang, and blow me, a Mk 11 Cortina which seems to giving the pony car a hard time :lol:

Great photos :clap:

Sterling U.K.

#2144 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 21:29

Originally posted by Towil
Are you sure that it wasn't the 904 bergspyder that went to Singapore David?

Alan modified this car even further after this (the roof was originally removed so he could fit I think). He later removed the FG hoop behind his head and replace with a single seater type rollover bar. He also cut the back off it A'la 917! By then (71) it was painted a lovely shade of brown and was also Green at one stage I think.

I was always mystified by this 906 situation...

The 904 stayed here, no question. It went via Jim Abbott to Murray Bingham, becoming an openwheeler of sorts with a Chev F5000 engine (ex-Gary Campbell, I think) until it was crashed.

As for the 906, there was this nice white unit as pictured, and then Alan turned up later in one painted green. I was with him the other day, I wish I'd had this question for him then. By the way, a friend of his in England sent him the link to the 904 pics from onelung, he was pretty happy to see them and I believe is arranging to get prints or something.

#2145 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 335 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 23:17

Originally posted by Towil

I posted a pic on P13 post 520. I assume this to be the car with the green paint scheme.
I have reposted it here for convenience.

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 06 October 2010 - 22:16.

#2146 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 23:17

Jack Brabham going down the mountain. Bathurst 1969. Note that in this shot the car has a front high wing.Many other photos of this car at the same meeting show no front wing.

Posted Image

Norm Beechey 350 Monaro Bathurst 1970.

Posted Image

#2147 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:11

Jack Brabham going down the mountain. Bathurst 1969. Note that in this shot the car has a front high wing. Many other photos of this car at the same meeting show no front wing.

Posted Image

You're right there, Dale...

John Medley's Bathurst book states it only had one wing in practice, there's no reference to it in RCN... but clearly it must have been fitted in practice.

sterling... that's Jim McKeown's 1967 model Lotus Cortina, which could always give big cars a scare at circuits like the Farm.

Dale... sorry I couldn't get to see you this week, but in the next week or two we'll be around.

#2148 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:23

Speaking of Murray Bingham, he was at Silverdale on 22 Mar 70;

Posted Image

#2149 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:43

Not sure whether this is the right thread for these, but seeing as there are some other Phillip Island pics here already:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2150 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:29

Originally posted by Ray Bell

By the way, a friend of his in England sent him the link to the 904 pics from onelung, he was pretty happy to see them and I believe is arranging to get prints or something.

Me! :wave: