Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8600 replies to this topic

#2251 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 449 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:38

Hi Ray :wave:

I've been lurking about, especially on this thread, but haven't posted for over a year - too damn busy... :mad:

Anyway, you are right, no wheels "tucking in" on a 105 Series Alfa Giulia GT Veloce, like that in the picture. Probably more of a rear end "walk" as the top mounted trunnion, or A bracket steered the rear suspension over the bends. I believe the rear roll centre is way too high and rear traction is not what it could be.

Just survived Bathurst in my trusty Group Sc Alfetta GT. What a circuit. A dream come true... :)

Advertisement

#2252 onelung

onelung

• 542 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:58

Re the Alfa shot - yes, I thought they had a live axle, but it looks for all the world as though it's tucking under in this case - maybe just a trick of the light/shadow giving that impression.

... what do you have of some later Mallala Gold Stars?

]
Very little, if anything Ray - I seem to recall becoming embroiled in a University course at the time. Apologies.

#2253 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:24

Goomalling Speed Classic, June 7 1954.

I've managed to identify both the date of this pic, and most of the cars.

Posted Image

Colin Uphill, "Topolino" - a Ford 10 engined all independent single seater started by Jack Nelson and finished by Uphill.

Posted Image

Barry Ranford Junior in another Ford 10 Spl, named "Junior". In the background the red mGTC of Bob Urquhart, and behind him you can just make out the black MG TC of Bruce Mutton.

Posted Image

The fearsome looking Citroen Light 15 based racing car, John Metcalfe driving.

Posted Image

Making its racing debut, the Morris 8 spl of Bill Fitzgerald

Posted Image

MG TA Monoposto in middle . The yellow and black car in the distance is the terrifying Mercury Double V8. The silver grey car is the Bugatti T57 in its offset monoposto form.

EDIT: Curses! I've scrambled two captions. But you see which ones I mean.

Posted Image

And this one I don't know. I can't see the number anywhere. My guess is Frank Buttigig.

Posted Image

#2254 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 18:44

Very nice stuff, Terry...

What was the makeup of the Buttigig car? And who's in the TR2?

#2255 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 21:31

And the car with the flashy chrome grille to the left of the Citroen special would be Fred Coxon's Model A special, I think.

#2256 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 22:10

Originally posted by Terry Walker

Colin Uphill, "Topolino" - a Ford 10 engined all independent single seater started by Jack Nelson and finished by Uphill.

Posted Image

Fantastic work again Terry. There are a couple of cars behind Uphill, a large green car with jailbar grille and one that is in complete shadow that may make it a bit more difficult.

#2257 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 00:49

The TR2 - well spotted, I didn't register it myself. Don Davis shared it with speedway motorcyclist Laurie Stevens in the sports car races, and it was so quick it had to be re-handicapped.

I'm not at all sure the "Buttigig" car is in fact the Buttigig car. It was just a guess. "The Visor" magazine, where I got the results of this race meeting from, completely fails to mention what sort of car Buttigig was driving. Looking at it again, it looks like it has wire spoke knock-off wheels. It just might be another MG spl. The absence of a racing number doesn't help. The jailbar grille green monster behind might be Buttigig.

#2258 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:07

Another pic of the mystery car, same meeting. Not wire spokes after all. That's Bruce Mutton, MG TC, behind.
This was a confusing period, due to new numbers being allocated each meeting.

Posted Image

#2259 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:44

I based my suggestion it was the Fred Coxon model A on an article in the publication about the 57 AGP that came out at last year's Caversham return. There's a piece on Coxon, including a picture that looks awfully like that car.

Advertisement

#2260 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:26

That's it - it's definitely the Fred Coxon "mark 1" Ford A Spl. Amilcar chassis, Ford A engine, Humber gearbox, Terraplane rear end, Byfield body, FX Holden grille. I actually have a copy of the booklet on the 57 AGP with that article about Fred and his cars, and that photo, but somehow "forgot" it.

There was a later major rebuild discarding the Amilcar parts, adding an independent front end on a tubular chassis and a better body, and finally the Ford A engine was chucked and replaced by the good old Grey Holden through a Hillman gearbox.

Thanks, Gordon.

#2261 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:33

In its third an final incarnation it became a sports car with a JWF Milano body: Albany Hillclimb, Fred driving

Posted Image

#2262 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:34

Is the 'jailbar' grill perhaps the Maurice/Wakelin car? It does look a tad large in the grille for that, but it's a similar style.

#2263 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:44

The WS Special was brand new in 1954, and the photos in Visor show it looked just as it did until it became the V8 Spl, so I guess that's not it. It's much too bulky to be the WS. Buttigig again?

#2264 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:11

Not the WS, Terry, the Ranford car, sold on to Maurice in '52 or so...

It had a V8 fitted by Maurice, but this looks exactly like it did pre-V8 or even possibly first outing with V8... Maurice was still Chrysler-powered in '55 according to your good book. I'd give it the nod if someone will tell me that car was green!

#2265 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:30

As far as I can work out, Morrie Maurice was in the HRG, Wakelin in the WS, at Goomalling 1954. The Visor reports are maddeningly vague at times about cars. I know Maurice was in the HRG Rymann Spl at Narrogin a few weeks earlier.

#2266 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:26

It's going to be hard to say that's definitely not the Chrysler Special, Terry... look at the windscreen, for instance, and the bonnet straps, as well as the grille...

The size has got me a bit surprised, but I don't think there's many pics about with it alongside other cars. Then again, if this pic was taken with a tele lens that would help too.

What does the WS look like?

#2267 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:48

Car no 6 in this shot by phil Jordon is possibly the same car as in the Goomalling photo.the Maurice /Wakelin
car had a flatter and smaller grille as taken in another photo on the same day.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#2268 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:12

You're right there, Ken, it's a bigger car all round...

Wonder which car that is? And can you post the other pic, please?

#2269 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:28

Another shot by Phil Jordon.That would be George driving the car.No 8 would be Barry Ranford in the
Chrystler speedcar.Maybe the no6 might be in Terrys records.

#2270 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:21

At this period some car numbers changed from race meeting to race meeting. They seem to have been based on handicap. God only knows what the big car is. Damned if I do.

#2271 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:20

Originally posted by ken devine
Another shot by Phil Jordon.That would be George driving the car.No 8 would be Barry Ranford in the
Chrystler speedcar.Maybe the no6 might be in Terrys records.

Posted Image

Ken, you're referring to No 14, aren't you? That's the car...

It's a bit late for Ranford Speedcars, though, isn't it?

And please note that there's no oddbod codes left around your picture here. If you e.mail me, I'll explain that to you.

#2272 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:24

More likely Don Milne in the Speedcar. He was running it in 54-55, with speedway solo rider Laurie Stevens having the occasional punt as well. It appears in the programmes and results as "Plymouth 4".

#2273 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:14

You are right Terry it was a Plymouth speedcar driven by Don Milne,but when did he take it over from
Barry Ranford? and yes Ray no14 is the Wakelin car.

#2274 seldo

seldo

• 1,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:17

At this period some car numbers changed from race meeting to race meeting. They seem to have been based on handicap. ...

When you entered for the meeting, one of the questions on the entry form was "What is your preferred race number/s ?" Sometimes you got it....sometimes you didn't, and they just allocated you a number for the meeting. We always tried to ask for the same number that they'd given at the last meeting so we didn't have to shell-out for new ones and spend the frustrating time trying to stick them on without bubbles/wrinkles/distortion etc

#2275 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:29

Another shot by Phil Jorden.,it must be a different meeting the Coxon car has a new nose,and the double
V8 is making a rare appearance with Toby Carboni at the wheel,Syd Andersons Healy gets some attention.

#2276 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:36

As it was, Ross Dalton Jaguar C type Orange Feb. 1960 . Someone may Know the others in the photo.

Posted Image

#2277 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:18

What a fantastic photo John, evoking a time where motor racing was so much simpler, run by enthusiasts rather than professionals.
The very Australian landscape so close to the track, the very weathered and dilapidated Gnoo-Blas Racing Club sign, the starters tower sagging under the weight of those inside it and what appears to be a tarp of sorts drying on the roof of the Kombi.

#2278 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:57

Just adjusted it a bit . . .

That plastic raincoat - they were all the rage for about 2 years. They clung to you like clingfilm, were colder than a tax collector's heart, and had a peculiar plasticky smell. The pic brought back those memories with a jolt!

Posted Image

#2279 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:42

Just after the start of last shot.They got the Healy going,although they are still working on cars behind.

RL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

Advertisement

#2280 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:43

Among other historical attributes to the Gnoo Blas photo, it shows either a styrofoam or plastic cup in the hands of the official to the left... that should help date those things if anyone needs to...

Is Ted Moir on the list of officials of the meeting? And who was the cigarette salesman who did so well that day?

#2281 onelung

onelung

• 542 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:18

And the Lanock Motors split screen Kombi .... simply WUNDERBAR!

#2282 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:40

More likely Don Milne in the Speedcar. He was running it in 54-55, with speedway solo rider Laurie Stevens having the occasional punt as well. It appears in the programmes and results as "Plymouth 4".

Is this Laurie Stevens of Kayes Engineering Repco Holden #7+ speedcar fame ... gave some well credentialled visitors a run for their money.

Note that in WA there was motorsport, no gulf between the black track & the speedway... Ranford, Aldous, Potts, Starcevich, Myers, Negus ... FRIDAY NIGHT IS SPEEDWAY NIGHT !!

#2283 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 19:30

Slightly OT, but I thought this the best place to put this link. I stumbled across the website for Leaded Magazine and found their video section has online videos from the 1956 AGP, 1955 Aust. Hillclimb Championship and racing from Port Wakefield 55/56.
http://www.leadedmag...om.au/video.php

#2284 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 19:57

Wonderful stuff, David :up:
Thanks for the link :clap:

#2285 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 21:26

Teddy Pilette, Chevron B24, Oran Park Feb. 1974.

Posted Image

#2286 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:29

I have just had a lot of my photos added to the Oldrace photos website there is a great selection worth
having a look.

#2287 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:54

Another box of colour slides has been passed to me to scan, taken at the 1962 Australian Grand prix at Caversham. A few samples:

Touring and GT support race: Lex Davison, Galaxie, has come undone at the end of the main straight, Tony Osborne (Lotus) and a local in a red humpy Holden scoot past.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren (? No number visible) rounding up Bill Patterson and, in the distance, Jeff Dunkerton in the Lotus Super 7.

Posted Image

The start of the AGP. I can't get it much better than this as it is cropped extensively. Standard lens, not telephoto, by the look of the pictures.

Posted Image

Jack Brabham at practice.

Posted Image

#2288 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:46

I have just had a lot of my photos added to the Oldrace photos website there is a great selection worth
having a look.

Ken,
Oldrace website How do I get on ?

Nice having a quick yarn at Brookton. :)

Terry,
Do you reckon the"Glaxie" ran out of brakes ?
That puff of dust on the no-mans land inside the red humpy. Some hero come in a bit tight eh ?
The circuit just after the top bend caught out many a good lad. Unless of course they were SIMCA mounted. :clap:

#2289 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:14

John the website is www.oldracephotos.com the photos are spread over each section and come up first.
i am very pleased with the result.we hope to put up some modern ones later.

#2290 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:54

Mew photos added to my clooection from W Webb of the 62 AGP.this is a rare colour shot of Bruce McLaren
in the Mini Cooper.

#2291 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:36

A question for all WA experts what part of the circuit was the webb photo of Brabham posted by Terry taken? i cant
pick it,there are 5 shots from the same position he was in a tree.it shows an airstrip in the back ground,i thought near the hairpin but the bush ther was much heavier.Lets here you ideas.

#2292 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:56

Ken I would say coming out of turn 1. I say this because of the dust cloud and attitude of the car.

Plus there is the runway in the back ground.

Nivola

#2293 giffo

giffo

• 251 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:35

1957 AGP
Images by Doug Foley
http://picasaweb.goo...oley_Car_Photos
30 images in total

#2294 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:30

QUOTE: A question for all WA experts what part of the circuit was the webb photo of Brabham posted by Terry taken? i cant pick it,there are 5 shots from the same position he was in a tree.it shows an airstrip in the back ground,i thought near the hairpin but the bush ther was much heavier.Lets here you ideas. QUOTE

The end of the main straight, Coca Cola Corner. The cars have turned off the straight and heading for the footbridge and then the Esses.

#2295 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:23

I thought that myself Terry and Nivola but it seems it would have been getting close to the footbridge.

#2296 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 15:08

Reckon the very tree is visible in this air photo take a few years before the 62 AGP but after the footbridges were built - say 1957:

Just before the bridge is a big tree. From there, you can take a pic which shows the first twenty yards or so of the section after you leave the main straight, and it has runways visible in the background.

Posted Image

#2297 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 23:41

I am convinced Terry,although i thought we would get more takers.

#2298 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:33

I am convinced Terry,although i thought we would get more takers.

I agree it's Coke corner. Terry's aerial shot shows a drainage ditch at right angles to the circuit which also appears opposite the Brabham in the photo.

PS: Love your photo's Ken!

#2299 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 266 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 23:03

George Garth exiting the Pinch at King Edward Park hillclimb.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2300 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,783 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 19:32

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
George Garth exiting the Pinch at King Edward Park hillclimb.

Posted Image

Great shot!! My 1st car, back in the day, at a the tender age of 17 :love: I am going to get another..........

Guys, I was at the Europen GP in 1964 at Brands Hatch, and I have just seen on a website, that Bib Stilwell was entered in a works Brabham BT8 Climax for the "Daily Mail Guards Trophy" race. I have read many posts on this driver, and really, did not recognise the name, however, I could have seen him race back in the day, without even knowing it!!!

Any information on this event from any of you guys? I have long since lost my programmes in house moves, 20-30 years ago.........How did he do on the day, and did he compete in many European Events, and if so, which ones?

Sterling U.K.