#2302 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 23:22

Originally posted by plannerpower
[B]More from Bathurst 1962; the tintops;

B. Smith's Mini in an unusual pose;

Fabulous, fabulous shots planner!! :up:

Got to comment on the above though...not unusual, perfectly natural (for a Mini, don't know about B. Smith)...even the humpy holden is doing it....I have even done it my road going Mini and it felt "natural" with a smooth transition to straight ahead once on Conrod.

Did I say fabulous shots?? :)

#2303 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:23

Tom must have raced a couple of different customlines in his day?

I'm sure he had one later that was green, darker than this one for sure...

#2304 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:22

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Tom must have raced a couple of different customlines in his day?

I'm sure he had one later that was green, darker than this one for sure...

Not sure about that, but Tom used to be married to my cousin, Lindy. She was a rally driver of some note, in a Triumph 2500. Small world, eh?

Could I get a high-res copy of the picture of Tom?

Bruce Moxon

#2305 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:41

"not unusual, perfectly natural";

He would never make the corner from there; I think the car may even be stationary or nearly-so; there is no body roll toward the downhill side.

The perils of lifting-off sharply on a downhill corner entrance in a Mini!

"Could I get a high-res copy of the picture of Tom?"; certainly!

My motivation in posting the photos is to get them into the hands of people who appreciate their historical value. I have supplied hi-res images to several people; perhaps the most satisfying, given the historical value of the car, was from the member who has the Maserati 4CL in his garage! :)

PM me with your e-mail address.

#2306 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:22

Originally posted by plannerpower
"not unusual, perfectly natural";

He would never make the corner from there; I think the car may even be stationary or nearly-so; there is no body roll toward the downhill side.

The perils of lifting-off sharply on a downhill corner entrance in a Mini!

Yes Sir..correct...don't lift off, take a deep breath and bury the boot as deep in the firewall as you can and watch where you are going out the drivers side window :up: :wave:

#2307 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 484 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:11

126 mph in an Austin Freeway - that is seriously SCARY. I can remember many years ago going for a 'fang' in one which a mate had 'borrowed' from his parents - not nice!

J Maddocks looks like he's headed for an impact with the inside of Forrest's Elbow unless he does some frantic (steering) wheel work.

#2308 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:20

Originally posted by GeoffR
126 mph in an Austin Freeway - that is seriously SCARY. I can remember many years ago going for a 'fang' in one which a mate had 'borrowed' from his parents - not nice!

J Maddocks looks like he's headed for an impact with the inside of Forrest's Elbow unless he does some frantic (steering) wheel work.

Au Contraire Geoffrey....Forrests Elbow is beautifully set up for four wheel drifting....I would say the humpy (I learned to drive in one and to throw one around) is just doing what comes naturally :up: (they tended towards final oversteer)

Same with the Mini..looks out of control, but the depth that the rear wheel is tucked up under the guard makes me think it was just another day at the office for the driver :smoking: :cool:

#2309 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 484 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:43

OK - on closer examination the angle of the LF front may just point him onto the start of Conrod. Question is, is it power oversteer (doubtful), lift off oversteer or just chuck it in & see what happens? :)

#2310 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 21:46

OK - on closer examination the angle of the LF front may just point him onto the start of Conrod. Question is, is it power oversteer (doubtful), lift off oversteer or just chuck it in & see what happens?

More likely it's 'How did I get into this?' oversteer...

Surely it wasn't planned!

#2311 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 22:03

Great shots Kegs. How come it has taken so long to post them after you said they were coming? Are there any more?
Dale.

#2312 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:41

"How come it has taken so long to post them after you said they were coming?".

I have been away.

"Are there any more?".

Yes; some old Oran Park plus some hillclimbs (including King Edward Park) and probably some odds & ends.

Scanning is a pain (esp. slides) and I try to have a life but I will certainly post more.

Like most postings here (I hope the relevant shooters won't be offended) they are not Klementaski-class but I think it's important to get the kind of photos we see here "out-in-the-open" for historians and interested folk to see and take note.

Otherwise no-one knows they exist.

#2313 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:38

Okay guys I have a question and a hunt for the magicaly Photographic collectors.

How many images are there in color of the 1970 Holdern dealer team XU1's?

There where three cars.

Nivola

#2314 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:57

There could be possibly hundreds of images around.
I quickly found colour images of the 3 cars at Autopics.
http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

#2315 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:35

Catalina Park; 1962 I think, taken at or from Castrol; mostly tintops, I'm afraid, but this is all I have.

Norm Beechey (Chevrolet Impala; real touring cars have four doors :) )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can't remember the story here; did he tangle with a Holden? In Craven A?

Here with Bob Jane (Jaguar 3.8);

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some assorted tintops;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two great Holden exponents; Des West leads Bruce McPhee;

Posted Image

Bob Jane with two of his toys;

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2316 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,687 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:55

Fantastic. :clap: :clap: :clap:

#2317 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 680 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:01

Super photos

Twinny that is just about the same spec. as an Isis :stoned:

#2318 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:50

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher
Twinny that is just about the same spec. as an Isis

Not at all!

The Isis has a decent front end in it, with telescopic dampers and a top link not mounted in a die-cast lump of Armstrong trash. The engine weight is seriously different too, and the legs of the Isis would be longer.

They do share wheel nuts, however... and the oil cap...

#2319 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:34

Two West Aust specials in the 1962 AGP. Shell Hairpin, renamed Craven A Corner for the GP. The white car, 71, is Vin Smith's Vindid; behind comes the Bondley Spl, still competing today.

Supposedly the Vindid's name came about as follows. Someone, amazed, staring at the car: Q: Jeez, who built that?? A: Vin did.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2320 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:14

Are you sure about the race, Terry?
None of my magazine reports of it, or the AGP book, mention either of these cars taking part
Maybe in a supporting event?

#2321 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:53

Quite right: looks like the 20-lapper Invitation Scratch race after Heat 2 of the AGP. The Vindid came 3rd in that race. Temporary brain fade; I did know that neither of them were in the AGP itself.

D'oh!

#2322 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:22

I think the name Craven A suits the corner more (although I definitely don't condone smoking), as it's not exactly the world's tightest hairpin is it? :)

#2323 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:40

Exiting Craven A corner, Catalina Circuit Katoomba January 1962, George Murray Austin 7 Special.
Anyone know where this car is now ?

Posted Image

#2324 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:42

Shell was really not much more than a right angle, but compared with all the other corners it was pretty tight and scene of many an "off". I think its official name was Shell Corner, but everyone knew what you meant by "the hairpin".

#2325 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:57

Yes, everything apart from the entry/exit corners onto the runway had a very flowing look about them, so I can understand why Shell was thought of as 'the hairpin' as I suppose nearly all circuits had one, token or not.

#2326 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by John Ellacott
Exiting Craven A corner, Catalina Circuit Katoomba January 1962, George Murray Austin 7 Special.

Posted Image

I've no doubt that the owner, Bill Warren, has passed on...

I seem to recall that Jock McLean, who raced another of Bill's cars, was rebuilding this car when his son was racing his Farrell Clubman in the late seventies or early eighties. But then Jock died suddenly. I have no idea of events since that time as I've lost touch with all these people.

I do have a pic of the car, however... at Oran Park in 1965 or '66. And I've posted a pic of it on this forum somewhere from the Bob Britton collection. But, of course, neither of mine hold a candle to your really terrific picture of George and the car, John.

I'd imagine when this was taken it had a 998 BMC A-series in it. I remember one day at Catalina he blew it up, and with the engine still emitting smoke and steam he prised the crack in the crankcase open with a jack handle or something to see what was broken inside. Later it had a 1275cc engine.

#2327 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:54

That corner looks more like the entry to bugatti because or the trees in the background.there were a lot
more trees on the hairpin.And Bugatti was Craven A corner at the AGP.

#2328 Towil

Towil

• 51 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 14:53

Originally posted by David Shaw
My source is John Blanden's Historic Racing Cars in Australia Vol 2. It states that the Bergspyder was imported late in 1965 along with a 906 space frame chassis and body panels. It was envisaged that the running gear from the Bergspyder would be transferred to the 906, but this didn't occur until late 1966.

In 1967, Jim Abbott brought the remains of the Bergspyder, fitted a Ford V8 and then raced and hillclimbed it for a few years. It was eventually restored to original spec. and took part in activities at the 1985 Australian Grand Prix.

Caught up with Alan the other day and had the chance to ask him about these cars. Hope I can remember it correctly;

Original Bergspyder (Mitter-Davis) chassis 906-007 was fitted with 6 cyl engine at factory prior to ship at end 65 as Al wasn't confident that he had the resources to maintain complex 8 cyl. Purchased spare 906 chassis and body during 66 and numbered it also 906-007 Cut off roof to fit in - White car. Transferred running gear from TF chassis which went to JA. Second car to Singapore (owner arrested soon after!) then on to Teddy Yip. Third car (again spare parts chassis, un-numbered) was offered by factory as they where going to scrap it in '70(ish). Al purchased, numbered it 906-007 himself again (doesn't remember why), modified heavily (removal of roof - 917k style tail) and fitted 911 engine from Bryan Foley's car. Briefly painted Brown and then later BP green and yellow. Al thinks this is the car that was restored to original coupe spec and run at AGP in 85 again under his ownership.

Regards,
Todd

#2329 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:50

Originally posted by John Ellacott

Terrific action shot John...check out the width of the lap belt, must be 4-5 inches wide...looks like webbing but at first I thought....Leather! :)

#2330 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:31

Another great photo of typical John Ellacott quality.

A beautiful but diminutive beast, struggling to contain its manhood within its confines, which pops out the side in the form of a pair of SUs for a bit of fresh air.

#2331 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:48

I think I saw that car at Bill Warren's in about 1981.
I think that Bill moved up to Port Macquarie.

#2332 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:23

Leo Geoghegan Lotus 47 Oran Park 1968.

Posted Image

#2333 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:49

1965 Six Hour Race, Caversham: Bob Biltoft in the left-hand-drive Porsche Super 90. In the background, Ron Donovan's rolled Holden.

Posted Image

#2334 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:58

Peter Manton and Jim McKeown sandwich Lionel McPherson, Caversham, probably 1966.

This is the Cooper S that Jeff Dunkerton bought and raced with great success in Western Australia.

Photo from Lionel McPherson's collection.

Posted Image

#2335 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 763 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:17

Look at that flaggie :eek: - he redefines 'exposed' ...

#2336 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 00:01

Dick Johnson, improved production XU1 at Oran Park 1972.

Posted Image

#2337 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:20

Coming fourth in the ATCC round?

That was the day Pete had the Falcon fail on him when he had it nailed, wasn't it?

#2338 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:35

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
Dick Johnson, improved production XU1 at Oran Park 1972.

Posted Image

So, who took his no. 17 for that race?

#2339 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:58

Malcolm Ramsay...

City-State Holden HQ Kingswood (with Repco F5000 power).

Advertisement

#2340 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:30

Thanks, Ray.
Tempted to say, " Not the K...!"
Would I be correct in saying that Ramsay's car was the only Repco-Holden F5000 powered Improved Tourer?
(Trying to recall if Bob Jane's HQ Monaro was 5.7 litre (i.e. Chev) powered in Improved Production form?)

Similarly, I don't recall anyone other than Dick running a Torana GTR XU-1, though stand to be corrected.
IIRC, he went from his EH to a GTR. Then, when the XU-1 was released, he updated his existing car, so the car in
the pic is not a genuine XU-1 (not that it mattered in old Group C).

#2341 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:14

It certainly mattered in that he had the spoiler on the back...

It ultimately ran with the LJ front end too, didn't it?

Yes, Jane's Monaro was a 350, nobody else ran a Repco engine in Tourers. I wouldn't take any bets on nobody else running an XU-1 in Improved Production, though.

#2342 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:28

The ATCC Book shows that other than Dick, Toranas got points at the following rounds:

1971: Sandown, Colin Bond 5th and N. Devine 6th
1972: Don Holland at Warwick Farm and Oran Park
T. Smith at Symmons Plains
Colin Bond at Warwick Farm
G. Giesberts at Surfers Paradise
E. Brewster at Adelaide

Of course this doesn't show of they were XU1s, nor does it show any that competed and didn't score points, but also it doesn't show if they were in Improved Production or Series Production spec.

#2343 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:07

Thanks David,
George Giesberts was the other Queenslander I was trying to think of.
As for the others, I'd say most, if not all, were in Series Production (Group E) cars not Improved tourers (Group C), certainly Bond and Don Holland would have been.

Err, Ray I was actually thinking more like engine modifications, such as carburetion(sp), (dual versus triple) which was free in Group C, IIRC.

#2344 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:07

Judging by the few pics I can find, Tim Smith's car was a Series car throughout... Ted Brewster's was modified, however, and he was a top contender in the 6-cylinder series where a Series car wouldn't get anywhere. Judging by Giesbert's times at Surfers (about 2s slower than Brock's Series car in February), his was Series.

That's not to say that anyone in an ostensibly Series car might not have done something to their cars in deference to the freedoms of Improved Production for just those races. Triple Webers and a cam would go down well, along with a nicely worked head. Wheels are easily changed and make a big difference.

Brock's times at Calder weren't any better than Series times, however, likewise Bond at the Farm, where Johnson was almost three seconds quicker than him in practice. Other XU-1 runners there were Bruce Stewart and Graham Moore.

Doesn't the ATCC book have grids or entry lists?

#2345 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:23

Once it became a series, the ATCC book has commentary covering the series which concentrates on the main contenders, and has a table at the end for each years points score.

#2346 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 00:14

The strange thing about that Oran Park event is the photo shows Dick with #14 on the car but the programme lists him as #16.
Placegetters were Moffat (Mustang), Geoghegan (Falcon), Jane (Monaro)
Dale.

#2347 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:19

Could it have been an earlier meeting?

While we're here, does anyone have anything in colour of the Barnard Auto Spares Dodge, driven at Bathurst by Barry Sharp and Lindsay Derriman?

#2348 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:34

Originally posted by Ray Bell
While we're here, does anyone have anything in colour of the Barnard Auto Spares Dodge, driven at Bathurst by Barry Sharp and Lindsay Derriman?

Amazing...it appears that that is the first and only reference to Barnard Auto Spares on TNF :)

#2349 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:28

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Amazing...it appears that that is the first and only reference to Barnard Auto Spares on TNF :)

Good heavens!

Anyone know what became of John Barnard and his son David? I tried to track them down a few years back; they seem to no longer be trading.

Bruce Moxon

#2350 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:29

One quick Improved Production Torana XU1 was that of Peter Woodward.

It may have started out as this Series Prod car:http://flickr.com/ph...s53/2197326604/

But ended up as a pretty quick Improved Prod car: http://www.oldraceph...dc1a386b1bebddf

I am pretty sure Peter qualified just behind the main V8 cars in the 1972 ATCC round at Sandown, although I do not think he gets a mention in the ATCC book, or should I say Bible.