• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#2351 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:32

Originally posted by brucemoxon
Good heavens!

Anyone know what became of John Barnard and his son David? I tried to track them down a few years back; they seem to no longer be trading.

If you give me a call... or e.mail me... I'll give you a contact for John...

After trying to track him down in suitably appropriate places for about three years, I was working in Grafton the other week and a man whose home I was in had a large number of racing pics about the walls. He used to race old Holdens, we got to talking, he'd been to Alan Barrow's funeral a few weeks earlier and said that John had been there... I made contact that night.

Woodward's car, of course, had become useless overnight with the release of the LJs... as had many others. Some became Sports Sedans, some went to road use and some to rallies, only a couple to Improved Production, however.

Advertisement

#2352 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 276 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 22:48

Here's Alan Barrow having a small moment in the Dipper at Bathurst 1969. Barnard Auto Spares signage on both sides of the bonnet.

Posted Image

#2353 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:13

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Woodward's car, of course, had become useless overnight with the release of the LJs... as had many others. Some became Sports Sedans, some went to road use and some to rallies, only a couple to Improved Production, however.

Good examples for the new group 'u' Historic Sports Sedans?????

#2354 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 22:04

Slightly OT, but I do not want to start a new thread.
Over the past 18 months or so, Vintage Racecar has covered the Australian and NZ historic scene, current plus, more importantly IMHO, original period stuff with good period photographs, articles/interviews with the old drivers, long articles on various marques -recently Zephyr Special and the Sulman Singer plus the Magnolia Climax for something different, among others. I am not in a position to vouch for the accuracy, but it reads well and is welcome material "over here" from "down there". Usual disclaimers.
Roger Lund.

#2355 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 23:20

Over the past 18 months or so, Vintage Racecar has covered the Australian and NZ historic scene.......

I couldn't agree more but from a different perspective. I subscribe to VR for the sole reason of it having a good portion of Australian content plus all of the other American & European stories. I don't know of another mag that does this. It's not 90% adds & 10% content either which is another plus

#2356 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 23:25

Posted Image
TS Special, Double V8, Plymouth Special, Byfield MG & ??? (Terry can answer)
Image from the 1957 AGP at Caversham by Doug Foley (added - as titled but incorrect poss 56)

Posted Image
Some TQ's carving it up at "I'm told" Narrogin W.A.
Image from Doug Foley (late 50's)

Posted Image
Some TQ's at the start line at "I'm told" Narrogin W.A.
Image from Doug Foley (late 50's)

Terry or Ken can you put names to these?

#2357 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 00:01

The caversham shot is an interesting photo but not from the 57 agp as the cars were carrying their usual
race numbers,it was possibly sometime in 1956 as that is when the byfield MG was built,the cooper bringing
up the rear would be Doug Green.i would love a copy of the pic if you can get me one Giffo.The TQ shots
i dont know about,but the orange one was at the 57 AGP reunion.

#2358 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:17

TQs, eh? About as fundamental as it gets; very popular around the Hunter Valley coalfields in my youth.

Perhaps not le pur sang but motor racing nonetheless.

I think these are Heddon Greta, about 1960;

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2359 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:35

In the top photo, the blue car is possibly a Cooper 500. Doug Green got his in late 56, don't know what colour. Not the AGP meeting because, as Ken says, the numbers are wrong, and the little blue car wasn't in it. Nor, as far as I can see, was it at that meeting. Not enough spectators, too.

By 1957 the Double V8 was being driven by Tony Carboni. After the AGP Negus bought a Cooper Bristol and by September 57 the Plymouth had been converted to a sports car.

So it's pre September 57 anyway.

Advertisement

#2360 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:41

Sure Ken can do

Posted Image
Posted Image
Some more TQ's from Doug Foley (late 50's)

#2361 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:02

A very evocative photo.

Posted Image

Cars & men are fairly clean (although the bloke on the right has been out) and the shadows are long so it's early morning. No water yet; just dust.

The driver is assembling his thoughts; his crewman is watching something, perhaps for the opening of the pit gate.

Second-from-right may be an official; he has brought his camera, I think, a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 bellows-type at a guess.

A long day ahead for all!

#2362 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:02

Posted Image
Posted Image
2 more TQ's from Doug Foley (late 50's)

#2363 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:04

Posted Image
Image from Doug Foley

#2364 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:56

Originally posted by ken devine
The caversham shot is an interesting photo but not from the 57 agp as the cars were carrying their usual
race numbers,it was possibly sometime in 1956 as that is when the byfield MG was built,the cooper bringing
up the rear would be Doug Green.i would love a copy of the pic if you can get me one Giffo.The TQ shots
i dont know about,but the orange one was at the 57 AGP reunion.

Posted Image
By gjgraham

The orange TQ from that starting line shot, as seen at the Caversham reunion, and looking very much unrestored. It was also a regular Caversham competitor in the mid 60s. Love the fuel tank.

#2365 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:08

Please explain TQ designation, and specification
RL

#2366 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,939 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:26

Originally posted by bradbury west
Please explain TQ designation, and specification
RL

Brad...maybe this link will help ;) http://www.vintagespeedway.com/

To: plannerpower, giffo, Gordon Graham, Terry Dubya et al....please think about contacting Brian Darby to share your fabulous pictures (if you haven't already :up: )

Cheers, Mick

#2367 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:26

TQ = Three-Quarter Midget, specification may vary...;)

#2368 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:28

'TQ' is 'Three Quarters', Roger, three-quarters the size of a regular midget speedcar...

A speedway term.

#2369 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:30

Now that was a three-way photo finish, wasn't it? :D

#2370 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:32

TQ stood for Three Quarter Midget, and was in effect a speedway loose surface version of the 500 cc Formula 3. Front brakes not needed, push start etc. 500 cc engine maximum, I think, although the rules changed from time to time. Almost always motorcycle powered.

Some crossed from speedway dirt to bitumen, acquired brakes, bigger engines, better suspension, and became proper little racing cars. Eg: 650 Triumph engined car built in the 60s, still going in hands of original owner/driver

Posted Image

#2371 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:50

What about transmissions, Terry? In the US, Midgets and Sprint Cars didn't have a gearbox or clutch, just an "in-and-out box" - I'd guess down-under too!?

#2372 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:00

The red car has a motorcycle box of course - and, amazingly, an electric start - but I'm not sure about the speedway TQs - I wouldn't be surprised if they had boxes.

#2373 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 486 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:55

So did TQs (I remember them racing at Mildura speedway a long time ago) that crossed to bitumen circuits evolve into 500cc racing cars? Or were the latter always on their own separate path?

Reason for asking is that the car club I was a member of for many years was originally conceived around 500cc racing cars, but ended up as primarily a rally oriented club!

#2374 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:01

The 500 cc racing car class had its own evolution - think Cooper 500, early 1950s. Always intended to be a road racing car, while TQs, beginning a decade later, were meant to be speedway cars. Only a few TQs "crossed over".

#2375 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 14:29

Thanks for the info, chaps.
RL

#2376 giffo

giffo

• 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 23:03

Posted Image
Image by Doug Foley
TS Special, ??? , Double V8, Comic Book Special (backwards) Plymouth Secial

#2377 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 23:05

TQ road racing was very strong in the country areas of WA particularly Albany where they built an excellent
sealed circuit near the airport and some of their cars competed in the Easter races with the larger cars. Wally Higgs started his roadracing carreer in a TQ the same car was the top runner at the speedway.
the first racemeeting for TQs was a roadrace at Mandurah.I will scan some early photos and post them.

#2378 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:06

Originally posted by giffo
Posted Image
Image by Doug Foley
TS Special, ??? , Double V8, Comic Book Special (backwards) Plymouth Secial

Looks like it might be a TC Special in the dust... carbies on the right, light wire wheels etc...

And is that really the Plymouth Special? Check the windscreen to one side, length of tail.

#2379 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:30

The blue car in the dust is the BRM Morgan of Merv Dudley,it looks like it may have had an incedent with
the BMH .That is Syd Anderson in the Double V8,it is a rare shot of the 3 Syds together.

Advertisement

#2380 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 14:04

Hmm every time I see the Plymouth makes me smile.

I just wish I had got to see Clem Drive it at his peak. Damn why and I a child of the early 80's?

Mind you it is good to see the TS in front like it has been and still is now days.

Nivola

#2381 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:05

The Plymouth Special would have been one of the most successful Racing cars built in WA,Clem Dwyer
only raced it a few times his greatest win of course was the Victory Grand Prix in 1946 which was the first
racemeeting after the war.The most succesful owner was Syd Negus who owned it for many years,it was
converted to sportscar form in 1957 when Syd bought the Cooper in this form it won a sportscar championship.It was road liscenced and was often driven around the streets of Perth by Wayne.
We are fortunate that it was never broken up like many other cars.
The car is now owned by Ken and Maryanne Richardson who have had it beautifuly restored even carpeting
in the cockpit,it is a regular runner in Historic racing in WA and recently did a very respectable time at the
recent Northam Hillclimb.The car is an everlasting monument to its builder Clem Dwyer and i am sure will
go for many years.

#2382 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:36

Indeed... if only that car could talk!

Just think of the great times it had at places like Toodyay (under Ted Harris), Bunbury, Albany, Goomalling, Narrogin, Caversham's triangle, Northam, Pingelly, Mooliabeenie and so on!

#2383 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:47

The Plymouth Spl today

Posted Image

#2384 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:20

And this is why I feel like I was born in the wrong era.

hmmmm Last time I got to see Clem turn a wheel was in his WRX with his number 7 on the side.

I should scan the image I did of the plymouth going over the back into kolb.

hmm do I kill the frame it is in???

#2385 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:37

Ted Harris was my great uncle and my father credits his teen years fascination with this car as the catalyst for his, and as a consequence our family's, enthusiasm and involvement in motorsport. He has many memories of it being tested along Beaufort St in Bedford (now a leafy inner Perth suburb) during Ted's ownership and later worked on the car while he and Wayne Negus worked together at Don Hall's speed shop in the 1960's.

Just in case anyone is interested (especially if you're from WA) my brother and I have started a local motorsport forum to replace the WASCC forum which closed recently. It's still in it's infancy, but there are some interesting old and new photos up and you're invited to participate. The link is http://www.speedwest.net/ Contributions and discussion warmly welcomed.

#2386 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:07

Originally posted by nivola
And this is why I feel like I was born in the wrong era.

hmmmm Last time I got to see Clem turn a wheel was in his WRX with his number 7 on the side.

I should scan the image I did of the plymouth going over the back into kolb.

hmm do I kill the frame it is in???

Don't bother... it doesn't belong there...

I get those feelings too, which might be one reason I'm so stuck on going to Lobethal in October. This kind of car needs to be on a real road circuit to look 'in place', and this kind of car should be more abundant in Historic Racing today. For this reason I really believe people should be able to re-create cars they can prove have been destroyed.

I keep on collecting photos of the Ranford Chrysler in the hope that one day... and while on that subject, the Dwyer Plymouth was said to have some strange engine in it from the beginning. I have no idea what, something that was supposed to be unique about the model of Plymouth from which it came.

#2387 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:22

More on the Plymouth Spl

Debut: Patriotic Grand Prix, Applecross street circuit, 1940:

Posted Image

Mid 50s: Syd Negus and the Plymouth, Caversham

Posted Image

Late 50s: Now a sports car, Mt Clarence Hill Climb, Albany, late 50s:

Posted Image

#2388 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:41

The last photo at Albany has two EK Holdens in the background, and this model wasn't released until May 1961, so this dates it as likely early 1960s.

#2389 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:12

Well spotted, David...

But it was still a handsome car in the early sixties! This can't be too long before it spent a long stint in a caryard in Perth with a price sticker on it. And I notice it had a few different carburettor arrangements in its time, too.

#2390 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:35

The little rectangle on the side is a "door". At that time, you had to have doors on your sports car, even if they were tiny. In an earlier posting of the ex-Jeff Dunkerton Lotus Super 7 at Caversham you can see a tiny little aluminium "door" attached!

Sorry about the date: the Plymouth was converted almost immediately after Negus got the Cooper Bristol, so had a long career as a sports car! Pic is probably 1962.

#2391 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:36

Originally posted by Terry Walker
The little rectangle on the side is a "door". At that time, you had to have doors on your sports car, even if they were tiny. In an earlier posting of the ex-Jeff Dunkerton Lotus Super 7 at Caversham you can see a tiny little aluminium "door" attached!

Sorry about the date: the Plymouth was converted almost immediately after Negus got the Cooper Bristol, so had a long career as a sports car! Pic is probably 1962.

Terry,
I have and still maintain that a long bow was drawn in the Negus Plymouth being allowed to run as a sportscar.
I'm sure the central seating [mono posto] would have barred it. Of course they may have slotted a bolt hole or two and strained the steering off centre. But wait ! What about the passengers pew. Not much room there ? One of Syd's favourite cushions may have overcome this fine point.;)

As for the 'door'. You'd have to be on the WASCC committee to get away with that. :)

All that aside it's good to see it now in its original guise.

#2392 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:35

Originally posted by Wilyman

Terry,
I have and still maintain that a long bow was drawn in the Negus Plymouth being allowed to run as a sportscar.
I'm sure the central seating [mono posto] would have barred it. Of course they may have slotted a bolt hole or two and strained the steering off centre. But wait ! What about the passengers pew. Not much room there ? One of Syd's favourite cushions may have overcome this fine point.;)

As for the 'door'. You'd have to be on the WASCC committee to get away with that. :)

All that aside it's good to see it now in its original guise.

Wilyman

You would of also raced againsed the plymouth in a six hour with Syd behind the wheel

He was a Gentleman driver

I can remember him waving me thru in going into the first corner at the start of a six hour

I thought was a Sports car as it had running boards and mudguards

Murray T

#2393 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:32

Originally posted by Wilyman
I'm sure the central seating [mono posto] would have barred it.

Central-seat Cooper-Climaxes were still running in Australia in the early '60s (though not in WA)

#2394 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:12

And internationally there was the infamous Zerex Special...

Which, I guess you could say, was the car that really brought the issue to attention and led to rulemakers making things more difficult.

#2395 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:03

Some rule-makers had done so long before this
The two seats had to be either side of the centre-line at Le Mans, for instance (hence full two-seater bob-tailed Coopers and before that the 'F1' Talbots)

#2396 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:48

The Plymouth after being converted to a sportscar in 1957 won the sportscar championship and was subject
to a protest because of noncompliance after what must have been a long inquiry by cams it was cleared
in 1958 to qualify as a sportscar,Terrys picture at Albany we decided was probably 1962 .

#2397 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:00

Good to see that in old times there where protests like now with any rx7 in street cars. LOL

I hate the the Addons to make her a sports car. Damn Ugle till she naked!!!!

#2398 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:56

Originally posted by murray thomas

Wilyman

You would of also raced againsed the plymouth in a six hour with Syd behind the wheel

He was a Gentleman driver

I can remember him waving me thru in going into the first corner at the start of a six hour

I thought was a Sports car as it had running boards and mudguards

Murray T

Murray T,
I've had to rely on Terry Walkers Place for past race results, a good site to settle old arguments.
In the '62* Six Hour race won by Dereck Jolley in his Lotus 15, 'Senator' Syd's Plymouth turned in 96 laps.
In my debut year my Simca cried enough after 61 laps. So yes I suppose the Plymouth would have swept by occasionally.

The Plymouth only managed 65 laps in the '63 Six Hour. My Simca, back with a vengeance achieved 153 laps.
This event was a success for all Simca's entered, they all finished !
Warren Mathews and Terry Cunliffe were first under 1300 with 163 laps.
A certain Murray Thomas did a creditable 133 laps.;)

*Thanks Ken.

#2399 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:05

Derek Jolly did not run the Lotus 15 in 1961 that was the year Ray Barfield won in the Aston.This photo
was taken in 1962 the year Jolly won,i may be wrong but this may have been the last race for the Plymouth
as the Bristol Herald appeared later that year.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2400 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:49

This shot of the 1967 state championships just given to me by Don Hall.The front row is Mike Tighe Elfin,
Don Hall Ausper,Bill Downey in Don O'Sullivans Cooper Climax.The race was won by Bill downey and Don Hall
first under 1500.Agreat range of cars of the time.Idont know who the guy is standing on the track.the pic
was taken by Don Rieman.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]