Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8696 replies to this topic

#2401 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,710 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:12

1957 AGP at Caversham again. The Myers Waggott car, originally a Cooper Bristol, but now with the legenday twin cam Waggot head on the Holden block:

Posted Image

And a rare colour shot of the Waggott engine itself, complete with six Amals (I think they're Amals) :

Posted Image

Both pics kindly loaned to me by Ken Devine.

Advertisement

#2402 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:41

With the obligatory Dodge ute in the background and the Phillips 100s alongside...

Did the 100S compete in the AGP? It won a sports car race early in the day, and was entered for the AGP, but it's not mentioned in the AGP book as running in the race, it's not mentioned why it didn't and it's not listed among the starters.

#2403 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,710 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:00

There's no mention in The Visor of why the 100S didn't start in the AGP, even though entered in it. Phillips may have changed his mind about competing in the AGP between lodging his entry and raceday, or perhaps he was too knackered to contemplate another long race in fierce heat so soon after the 40 lap Sports Car race.

The same 100S was back at Caversham for the 50th anniversary day last year.

#2404 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:23

Makes sense, an extremely hot day, and why risk the car after taking a big win anyway?

So the Healey didn't get to share the distinction of being one of the first cars to use 4-wheel discs in an AGP!

#2405 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,562 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:51

Once again, Terry and Ken, brilliant archive stuff. What became of the Cooper Bristol? Restored to original for UK/Euro historics or still in Oz?
Roger Lund.

#2406 ken devine

ken devine

• 742 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:26

The WM Cooper is now in the Birdwood Mill Museum in South Australia.

#2407 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,562 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:21

Originally posted by ken devine .The WM Cooper is now in the Birdwood Mill Museum in South Australia. [/B][/QUOTE]
Ken, as it should be, many thanks. RL

#2408 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:27

At the Bathurst meeting in October 1957 it was badly damaged during the NSW Road Racing Championship, and Myers decided to start from scratch, making a new frame out of tube (the original was box section), which helped improve its handling and drop the engine 3" lower.

So I'm not sure if its so much the WM Cooper as the WM Holden or even the WM Special these days.

#2409 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:05

Another close up of the Waggot engine in the WM Cooper I took at the Mt Druitt airstrip on 25 May 1958.
Jack Myers best tme that day was 15.01 for the standing quarter mile.

Posted Image

#2410 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:53

Posted Image

This is the Phillps Healy at the Caversham 50th Anniversary last year.

#2411 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:25

Originally posted by onelung
Collingrove 1967. Blown VW, nicely done - but who, I wonder ...?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Apologies for image quality.

Is it Kev Rohlach in the ex Ian Wells,ex Ray Cann Supercharged VW Special?????
If it was this car it had a rebuilt chassis after Wells owned it. (33 second car)

#2412 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:48

Does any one have any Photos of J.F. Crouch of N.S.W. in his Cooper Mark 5 cira 1952?
At Collingrove would be perfect, but any photo would be great!
Thanks Guy's

#2413 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:23

Plymouth special

my understanding was that there was a little illwill at the time at the car running as sports car (I was under the impression the body/cockpit had been widened to make it a close coupled 2 seater, the guards were said to be from a Riley and I think were/are still floating around perth and it had headlights and it was at one point road registered)
The illwill stemmed from not just this car but the fact that Negus would enter 3 cars and win to many trophies
his 3 cars
Sedan car triumph herald fitted with cooper bristol engine and cooper bristol wheels
Sports car Plymouth Special
Racing car Cooper Bristol with holden motor

terry

The Plymouth after being converted to a sportscar in 1957 won the sportscar championship and was subject
to a protest because of noncompliance after what must have been a long inquiry by cams it was cleared
in 1958 to qualify as a sportscar,Terrys picture at Albany we decided was probably 1962 .

#2414 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 22:05

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
My understanding was that there was a little ill will at the time at the car running as sports car (I was under the impression the body/cockpit had been widened to make it a close coupled 2 seater, the guards were said to be from a Riley and I think were/are still floating around perth and it had headlights and it was at one point road registered)
The ill will stemmed from not just this car but the fact that Negus would enter 3 cars and win to many trophies
his 3 cars.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have thought that the sports car fields of the day were made up of mostly road cars, Healeys, MGs and the odd TR or Jaguar?

With Ray Barfield out in front, no doubt. So Negus wasn't about to beat Barfield, I wouldn't think, unless Barfield was horribly slow. But he was going to beat everyone else when Barfield wasn't there. Which wouldn't be often?

I can imagine the Healey etc owners getting upset, but the way of the times was probably best shown by allowing the Herald Bristol to run as a sedan. I can't think of any car in the eastern states that was as liberally interprative of the rules as that car.

So, as you say, pot-hunting was Sid's game. But wouldn't the Plymouth have been the target more because it wasn't letting the traditional sports cars take out some placings?

#2415 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 22:20

I think you're right in saying the Plymouth's sportscar opposition would initially have been Healeys and TR2s, but the Holden Specials were on the scene pretty soon afterwards

#2416 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:00

Originally posted by Twister

If it was this car it had a rebuilt chassis after Wells owned it. (33 second car)

I suggest that this is another car possibly one built by Jack Wortmeyer.

The pic below is the Cann/Wells car taken at Collingrove Easter 1971 with Ian Wells at the wheel.

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 06 October 2010 - 22:21.

#2417 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:07

Regarding the Easter 1971 Collingrove meeting, Kev Rohrlach competed in his Eso powered Go-Kart at this time.

It was not long however, before he bought the Cann/Wells S/C VW Special .

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 06 October 2010 - 22:22.

#2418 rms

rms

• 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:41

Paul England, Ausca VW

#2419 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:58

How many Auscas did Paul England build?

Here is a pic of his twin engined car also at the Collingrove Easter 1971 meeting

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 06 October 2010 - 22:23.

Advertisement

#2420 rms

rms

• 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:07

fredeuce,
Any pics of Jack Wortmeyer's cars at Collingrove ?

#2421 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:11

Unfortunately, no. :down: :(

#2422 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:11

So is this now the Gumley car?

#2423 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 244 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:13

would anyone have any pics from the late seventies of mallala/A.I.R. sports car races? i'm looking for pics of my dad racing his clubman in particular. thanks

#2424 rms

rms

• 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:42

So is this now the Gumley car?

No, the car was designed and built 1971/72
Some pics of current and as built
http://www.hillclimb...om/history.html

#2425 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,562 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:29

Just thought I would bring this forward in case new members do not scroll back to see other older threads.
Roger Lund.

#2426 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:07

You're right Roger this thread has faded a bit of late - so here's a couple of hill climb pics to help kick start it again.

These were taken in May, 1958 at Peak Hill, Silverton - near Broken Hill.
(Well and truly in the Australian "Outback" as you can see by the lush vegation stretching to the horizon!)

Posted Image
Gavin Sandford Morgan in an MG TC

Posted Image
Bill Pile in his self built MG Special

#2427 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:52

Originally posted by kaydee
.....These were taken in May, 1958 at Peak Hill, Silverton - near Broken Hill.
(Well and truly in the Australian "Outback" as you can see by the lush vegation stretching to the horizon!)

I tried to find that place when I was in Broken Hill last September, Kevin...

I'm sure I was on the hill, there aren't many out there, but I couldn't work out where the climb was. Maybe I should find out in case I go that way again. I head to Adelaide in October this year for the Lobethal celebrations and I will probably go that way on one either the outward or return trip.

#2428 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:44

Ray, are any of the competitors mentioned in this report (first page) still around and able to give you any hints? Bruce Went, Ken Virgin and John Newmarch
http://www.austin7cl...ok/chapter2.pdf

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I'm sure I was on the hill, there aren't many out there, but I couldn't work out where the climb was. Maybe I should find out in case I go that way again.

#2429 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:32

To be honest I don't know...

But Clem Smith competed there, I'm sure he told me that at one time. I also have a photo of a car at the climb, but I'd have to find it.

There would also be locals who could point me to it. I tried to visit one of these when I was there, but he was out of town.

#2430 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:42

Ray,
I am afraid that I can't remember the exact location of the Peak Hill hill climb as it was 50 years ago!!!
However, it's no problem to find out as there are a couple of ex Broken Hill guys living in Adelaide who officiated at the meetings. I'll see them within the next week or so and let you know the details.
Kevin

#2431 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 13:56

In case you guys over there do not always check the photo threads from over here as zealously as some of us do with your Oz stuff, try post 477 on this link
http://forums.autosp...124#post3175124
to give an idea of the stuff on which some of us were reared. The Harewood link is very representative, and the Holroyd archives are good by anybody's standards for the period.
Roger Lund.

#2432 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 22:47

Ray
You could try Neville Webb, on the Gold Coast. I think he ran there several times

#2433 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:25

You're right, John... he did...

I can drop in and see him some time.

#2434 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 14:42

I'm sure I was on the hill, there aren't many out there, but I couldn't work out where the climb was. Maybe I should find out in case I go that way again. I head to Adelaide in October this year for the Lobethal celebrations and I will probably go that way on one either the outward or return trip.

Hi Ray,

This is the best location map that I can find for Peak Hill. Does this help or do you need more local detail?

Posted Image

(If the map is not clear enough I can e-mail it to you)

Kevin

#2435 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 19:39

I know it's at Silverton, Kevin...

It's a matter of where at Silverton. I drove on every piece of road there, I drove across the area where I believe the circuit was as well, but I saw no evidence of either the circuit or the hillclimb.

I need a detailed map of the immediate area showing their locations.

This is what I'd believe to be the hill, looking west from the crest of where you can see on your map that the main road crosses it:

Posted Image

And I believe this is looking over the area where the circuit was:

Posted Image

Desolate, isn't it?

#2436 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,762 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 13:01

Originally posted by kaydee
Ray,
I am afraid that I can't remember the exact location of the Peak Hill hill climb as it was 50 years ago!!!
However, it's no problem to find out as there are a couple of ex Broken Hill guys living in Adelaide who officiated at the meetings. I'll see them within the next week or so and let you know the details.
Kevin

If you type Peak Hill into Google Earth you find an open cut mine on top of the hill near the town. The current access road looks very much like a good hillclimb.

#2437 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 20:59

Is that at or near Silverton, Mick?

Peak Hill is near Parkes, is it not? Are we at cross purposes here?

#2438 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 21:29

Look for the red arrow on the map Ray, SSW of Silverton.

#2439 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 23:59

Okay, now I know I was nowhere near it... I was looking at the circle around Silverton...

I wonder if that's also the point Mick is talking about, or if he's going by a reference to the town of Peak Hill near Parkes?

Advertisement

#2440 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,762 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:58

Posted Image

#2441 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:34

Okay, now I know I was nowhere near it... I was looking at the circle around Silverton...

I wonder if that's also the point Mick is talking about, or if he's going by a reference to the town of Peak Hill near Parkes?

Ray,

Peak Hill refers to Peak Hill Station.
Travelling south from Silverton (see map) you don't actually go into Peak Hill.
I'm told the actual Hill Climb is on the right hand side of the road a little way after the Mundi Mundi Plains lookout.
If you get to Rathole creek then you've gone too far!

Posted Image

The following is a map of the actual Hill Climb

Posted Image

Hope this helps.......

Kevin

#2442 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 13:42

That certainly is a help, Kevin...

I'm sure I can find it from that documentation. What I can't find is the picture I have of some rugged looking bit of gear climbing the hill!

#2443 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 22:38

I found this in the 'YouTube' thread, links to rounds of the ATCC from 1970, with Bathurst, Symmons Plains and Lakeside in colour, Warwick Farm in b&w which also has Touring Car races from I believe 1972.
http://forums.autosp...907#post3173907

#2444 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:34

Hi There

I am a newbie to the list, but I think this is the right place to ask..if not, maybe some kind person could re-direct me.

I am interested in seeing any photographs of Templestowe Hillclimb....any period, any cars..and when i saw this thread i thought it would be a good place to ask.

Can anybody help?...anything at all will do

Thanks in Advance
Derek

#2445 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:21

Here's one to start with Derek: http://members.tripo...we_1963_web.jpg

You may have to manually 'copy' and 'paste' the web address on to your Internet browser address bar.

#2446 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:26

Thirty years ago I had the undoubted pleasure of running Collingrove hillclimb at Easter time( with Mallala or AIR thrown in as well) and Templestowe 3 weeks later -- 2 vastly different hillclimbs but the peak of what hillclimbs are probably about, one a genius thing where the challenges are as much intellectual as anything else and the other a streetfighters' hill where self belief is prime. At Templestowe the lovely Graeme Snape said to me "When are you backing off at the top of The Wall?" I replied " When I see their(=spectators) belt buckles" He said" I mustnt be serious. I'm backing off when I see their faces" We battled for FTD all day at The Last Templestowe, and both then drove home 300 miles overnight and said we'd go back and do it all again the next day if they would let us. Great places

I have only two pics of Templestowe, one of my Nota Formula Junior peeking over the top of The Wall-- but I dont know how to post it/them. I have no doubt you will be inundated with super pics from others. Just a brilliant place-- and no better or worse than the brilliant Collingrove, just different

#2447 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:53

I'm sure we had a request for photos from Nar-Nar-Goon recently (is that how it's written?)...

I think it was a thread all by itself, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyway, afterwards I realised I do have two pics from there... here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The victim here is Campbell McLaren, he's driving the ex-Harry Beith Terraplane, I think this crash finished the car. I seem to recall he mentioned the term 'onion grass'.

#2448 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 22:23

Hi Chris and John,

Thanks for your speedy replies..they were much appreciated.

Chris I could only get that link to go to a website which asked me to register or log in..I couldnt find any reference to Templestowe ...what do i need to do next?...I am very keen to see any photogaphs...thanks.

John, hearing your experiences on the wall were a first for me, it must have been very daunting.

You mentioned FTD...do you remember who and what held the hill record in the final days?

Regards
Derek

#2449 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 22:44

Derek, with the URL on Chris' post, right click on the web address in the post, and with the left button select Copy shortcut from the popup menu that appears.

Go to the web address bar on your computer where it says http://forums.autosport.com etc etc, left click on the address bar (which will then be highlighted) and press Ctrl and V at the same time, which will highlight the new URL to the picture. Hit Enter .

#2450 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:48

Originally posted by john medley
Thirty years ago I had the undoubted pleasure of running Collingrove hillclimb at Easter time( with Mallala or AIR thrown in as well) and Templestowe 3 weeks later -- 2 vastly different hillclimbs but the peak of what hillclimbs are probably about, one a genius thing where the challenges are as much intellectual as anything else and the other a streetfighters' hill where self belief is prime. At Templestowe the lovely Graeme Snape said to me "When are you backing off at the top of The Wall?" I replied " When I see their(=spectators) belt buckles" He said" I mustnt be serious. I'm backing off when I see their faces" We battled for FTD all day at The Last Templestowe, and both then drove home 300 miles overnight and said we'd go back and do it all again the next day if they would let us. Great places

I have only two pics of Templestowe, one of my Nota Formula Junior peeking over the top of The Wall-- but I dont know how to post it/them. I have no doubt you will be inundated with super pics from others. Just a brilliant place-- and no better or worse than the brilliant Collingrove, just different

John,
It was thirty years ago while living in Adelaide that we went to Collingrove. Greame Snape was competing in his BMW engined Cooper [F3]. What a practical bit of gear with its kick-start, no pushing your guts out with this one!
I got into brief conversation with him casually dropping that I was helping a mate back in Kalgoorlie with his Cooper. He immediately turned to his friends saying, "this chap knows all about Coopers". I had to hurriedly tell them otherwise!

Off topic, same location.
On the way home we came across a family standing next to their beatifully hot rodded '50's Fargo pick-up.
It had broken its tail shaft. The Fargo's new owner Deiter ? had no tools so I lent him mine.
The shaft had been shortened by docking a section out of the middle, butt welding the ends then welding three or four straps longtitudinally to reinforce the thing. :eek:
We took the bits to a nearby farm to see if they had any gear to effect repair. The farmer kindly volunteered to repair the whole shaft.
I left Deiter at the farm and ferried his wife and two daughters back to Adelaide.
He got home the same day. Became a good friend for years.