Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8985 replies to this topic

#201 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 00:17

Lex Davison drove two Galaxies. The white two door one that finally went head on into Peters Corner during the Sandown Six-Hour ( I think someone ran into the back of it after it was crashed), and he also drove the red four door that is shown on this forum post.

It is hard to tell who drove the car on the day, as many people drove the car, including Norm Beechey: http://members.tripo...Sandown_web.jpg
Note: you may have to highlight this web address link and manually ‘copy’ and then ‘paste’ it onto your Internet web browser address bar.

Norm must have raced the car before it was finally painted in the Neptune colours.

Surely Len Lukey himself drove the car at some stage. Maybe he gave it to other people to drive after the accident that is depicted in the photo on this forum post? It must have been a scary car to drive with little in the way of braking.

The two Galaxies are covered on this web page:http://www.galaxie.com.au/racing.html

Advertisement

#202 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 00:56

Originally posted by kaydee
Sorry Ray, I can't remember too much regarding the details re time that the photo was taken -

However, here are a couple more shots of Phil Hill taken at Longford in 65 -

Posted Image
Bruce McLaren # 10 and Phil Hill about to climb aboard # 11

Posted Image
Phil Hill lining up alongside Jim Clark

Beautiful! Keep them safe for me!

Regarding the time the pics were taken... Friday things didn't happen until well along in the day, Phil has his regular trousers on and the sun's high overhead in that pic of him behind the Cooper. I won't venture too much of a guess of the Galaxie ones, but I would think it's possible one was Friday and the other on Saturday.

The pic of Phil and Bruce is Friday... not enough people on the stands, of course. The second is more likely Saturday, probably the start of the Examiner Trophy race as they're on the second row of the grid.

You might, if those are Kodak slides, just check the number printed on the slides to get them into chronological order.

And again, don't lose them, I will be contacting you about using them.

Chris... yes, Beechey raced it in red, as the pic earlier in this thread showed. At least at Sandown, possibly elsewhere. I'd plain forgotten, by the way, that John Raeburn drove those things... and that website is in error when it says that baillie brought the thing here for the ATCC races. It came for the 6-hour and only got to race in the '65 races because the rules about 2-door cars changed on Jan 1.

#203 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:10

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Fantastic shot Kaydee :clap: Does anyone know why the Neptune Team eventally disbanded?? Neptune taken over ??? went bust?? pulled out of Motorsport??

#204 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:13

John Raeburn drove the white 2 door Galaxie to fifth place in the 1965 Australian Touring Car Championship at Sandown. It suffered more bent and broken panels , as illustrated in Graham Howard's Australian Touring Car Championship book.

The report says that Baillie drove the car during Tasman Series. He was described as the only Knight to drive his own castle!

#205 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:20

Yes, that's right... and it doesn't contradict what I said...

But the galaxie.com.au site states that the car came here to run in ATC races and that it raced in the 6-hour and then the remaining ATC races of that year. Not so... it couldn't run.

And my mistake there, too. I said 'ATCC races'... the ATCC was one race at that time, so ATC races would be more correct.

Wish I could find that ATCC book... I've got one somewhere!

If I'm not mistaken, Chris, the car would have gone back to England after that Sandown, wouldn't it? The Pommie season would be getting underway and Sir Gawaine was already back there no doubt.

#206 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:13

I do not recall reading anywhere about it racing in Australia after the fateful Sandown 6 Hour (I don't think anyone in Australia would be brave enough to drive it after all it's mishaps!] .

Unfortunately it was a bit before my time for me to have 'firsthand' knowledge of it all.

#207 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:41

Oh I have a vivid recollection of it going down Tannery Straight myself...

Past all the spectator cars travelling from spectator area to spectator area between practice sessions and races on the Saturday.

You're probably too young to have heard the expression, "Colour me Gone!" too?

#208 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:24

Colour me What?

#209 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 13:38

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Beautiful! Keep them safe for me!
You might, if those are Kodak slides, just check the number printed on the slides to get them into chronological order.
And again, don't lose them, I will be contacting you about using them.

Ray,
Your welcome to copies of the Phil Hill pics - just PM me and I'll e-mail the original jpegs to you.
Kevin

#210 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 13:54

Some of the Tasman cars gridding up (for practice?) at Longford in '65

Posted Image

Three Repco Brabhams - #6 Bib Stillwell, #3 Frank Matich and (Yellow) Frank Gardner.
Some of the other people in the photo are Alex Mildren with hands on hip on far right of pic, Glen Abbey (Mildren's chief mechanic) squatting on farside of the Mildren car and probably Gerry Brown (Bib's chief mechanic) with back to camera alongside Bib's car.

#211 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 18:50

What a great photo that is to me kaydee. I hadn't seen a colour photo of either of Stillwell's Brabhams ever before and that illustrates some subtle differences to how it looked in the back of my mind. I had assumed that the stripe up the middle was yellow, but it was white apart from on the nose.

#212 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 19:13

Some of the Tasman cars gridding up (for practice?) at Longford in '65

Posted Image

Three Repco Brabhams - #6 Bib Stillwell, #3 Frank Matich and (Yellow) Frank Gardner.
Some of the other people in the photo are Alex Mildren with hands on hip on far right of pic, Glen Abbey (Mildren's chief mechanic) squatting on farside of the Mildren car and probably Gerry Brown (Bib's chief mechanic) with back to camera alongside Bib's car.

Talking to Mildren is Stewart Randall, the other one beside the car is Bob Grange. With his foot on the rear wheel of Matich's car is Graham Matich. I think you'll find this is the start of the Examiner Trophy on Saturday afternoon, the third row of the grid.

The red car just visible behind these is the doomed Rocky Tresise Cooper, the young fellow standing alongside of it is probably the late Anthony Davison, eldest of Lex's sons and the one to carry the Davison name to that race meeting.

If you have the first row (P Hill and Clark are the second row), it will have McLaren on pole, Brabham and G Hill in it.

I think I'd like to see more of this selection, Kevin!

#213 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 22:56

Ray - here is a photo of the front row of the grid with Hill, Brabham and Mclaren.

Posted Image

One story that I can remember from this meeting is Bib’s frustration at not being able to match Frank Matich’s lap times during practice. I was helping Gerry Brown to “pit crew” for Bib at this meeting and Bib was even wondering if Frank had slotted the 2.7 litre engine from his sports car into the Brabham just for practice to give everyone a bit of a stir up.
He even asked me if I could “manage to go over to the Matich pits and check out the engine #”

#214 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 23:05

Kevin, that's just marvellous!

These pics are just gold. Did you get the same for the start of the big race?

By the way, Matich's sports car engine would still have been in the Lotus, and it was only a 2.6... and I think you'll find that Frank might have had bigger brakes.

#215 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:44

Ray - here is a photo of the front row of the grid with Hill, Brabham and Mclaren.

Posted Image

One story that I can remember from this meeting is Bib’s frustration at not being able to match Frank Matich’s lap times during practice. I was helping Gerry Brown to “pit crew” for Bib at this meeting and Bib was even wondering if Frank had slotted the 2.7 litre engine from his sports car into the Brabham just for practice to give everyone a bit of a stir up.
He even asked me if I could “manage to go over to the Matich pits and check out the engine #”

Do i detect an inference that may be some thing illegal may have been going on, within the rules framework ?

#216 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:15

Did you get the same for the start of the big race?

Ray, unfortunately I didn’t stay for the Monday racing.
However here are a few more from Longford '65 - probably taken during practice session on the Friday ?

Posted Image
Jack Brabham at AGP meeting at Longford in 65

Posted Image
Jim Clark in Lotus 35 at AGP meeting in 65

#217 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:20

Here are a couple more photos from the 1965 AGP meeting at Longford -
Posted Image
Frank Matich's Repco Brabham.

Posted Image
Bib and Jack having a chat at the rear of Bib's transporter.

#218 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:03

Fantastic photos of Clark and Brabham, superb! Just much simpler and better days! (Post 216)
What next, a Grand Prix car on grass :eek:

Sterling

#219 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:21

Kevin, these are brilliant archive material, especially for those of us who only experienced UK races in those days, and the usual "arm's-length" reports and limited photos of long-haul events. Pure gold. Put them on a CD when you have sorted them pls, with notes from the likes of Ray Bell et al. Happy to purchase a copy

Roger Lund.

Advertisement

#220 JohnB

JohnB

• 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:47

Originally posted by seldo
I first visited Sandown as a 17yo in late (November..?) 64, so it's after that. I feel I recall the Galaxie punching a hole in the fence at Lukey(?) Corner with Lex Davison (?) at the helm in what I would have thought was the next major meeting in early '65 - so maybe the '65 International meeting.....Jeez 40 years is a long time to tax the memory....

That race was filmed by BMC, who entered a team of minis, and is available on video ("BMC Competitions Department"). Here's a screenshot of the crashed Galaxie:-
Posted Image

#221 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:56

Originally posted by bradbury west
Put them on a CD when you have sorted them pls, with notes from the likes of Ray Bell et al. Happy to purchase a copy

Roger Lund.

Ditto here!!!!
I used to read all the reports in Autosport and MN as a teenager......great mental pictures.

Sterling

#222 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 22:58

Originally posted by bradbury west
Kevin, these are brilliant archive material, especially for those of us who only experienced UK races in those days, and the usual "arm's-length" reports and limited photos of long-haul events. Pure gold. Put them on a CD when you have sorted them pls, with notes from the likes of Ray Bell et al. Happy to purchase a copy

Roger Lund.

Concur Bradbury dubya...brilliant archive material....maybe Kaydee should contact the Australian Archives/Picture Australia or some other archiving body...this stuff deserves to be preserved for future generations :)

#223 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:50

:clap: Hello all of you on this thread. What a wonderfull load of great pictures , and so many in colours!

ref. Roger Lund , pics in mags like Autosport from that time were most in b/w and rare , for me most Aussie racing were text and results....a whole new racing world now ! I have a small collection of TRANSPORTERS from down under wich now can be enlarged ! Great to see "other" team colours!

Thanks all , from Bjørn Kjer in Denmark. :smoking:

#224 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:21

and remember the TNF threads Transporter as well as Supply and sponsor vehicles for more pics.

another good tip for a few fine colour pics : www.classicjaguarminiatures.com

#225 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:17

Posted Image
Bib and Jack having a chat at the rear of Bib's transporter.

I would put money on that being the Davison Mainline beside Bib's truck.

The previous Friday I had driven alongside it on Dandenong Road on the way to Sandown Park... Davo at the wheel. We were late getting to the circuit the next day...

#226 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:57

I would put money on that being the Davison Mainline beside Bib's truck.

I think that you are probably right about it being the Davison ute as I remember my wife spent some of the time on Saturday chatting with Rocky Tresise as the Davison equipe was alongside Stillwell's.

#227 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:44

Innes Ireland in Lotus - probably Warick Farm Jan 1961 -

Posted Image

#228 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:06

Warwick Farm marshalling area...

February 1961, however.

Kevin, your wife must have been quite upset when she heard of the events of the second lap on the Monday.

#229 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:43

Warwick Farm marshalling area...

February 1961, however.

Kevin, your wife must have been quite upset when she heard of the events of the second lap on the Monday.

February 1961? - my program for the Warwick Farm Iternational Meeting is dated Sunday, 29th January, 1961..........

Yes, we were both saddened by Rocky's unfortunate accident - especially so soon after Lex's.
We had actually traveled to Tasmania for a holiday only to find out that it "accidentally"coinicided with the Longford meeting. I pit crewed for Bib on the Friday and Saturday and decided to forego the Monday racing in the interest of domestic harmony and we heard the sad news on the car radio when we were in Hobart.

#230 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:51

Sorry, missed this post, Kevin...

As for the 'Farm date, I wasn't around those days (first meeting 14 October 1962) so I have made an incorrect assumption there. All later International dates were in February.

Do you, by the way, know who this woman is?

Posted Image

This photo was taken on the Friday, I believe, so there shouldn't have been too many 'loose' people around. It's a part of the Bob Britton slide collection, of which most were merely chassis and suspension shots.

#231 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:34

Posted Image
Photo courtesy of Geoff Smedley... thanks Geoff!

....That should whet their appetite for more, shouldn't it?

#232 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:21

Obviously very early in Saturday's Examiner Racing Car Stratch Race with Clark from Hill, Amon, Gardner, Geoghegan, Attwood, Bartlett. Rodriguez, Courage, Hulme and McEwin with McCormack last. Barry Green's Fast Track Back - Longford actually states that "Hill got the best of the start to open a lead over Clark, who Amon nipped past on the Flying Mile"

Obviously Hill got past after this photo was taken just before pub corner on the first lap.

#233 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:30

Good prospects there, David... here's one for you...

Posted Image

Nahhh... here's another one for you:

Posted Image

Which Gold Star Champion is in this pic?

#234 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:02

Good prospects there, David... here's one for you...

Posted Image

Nahhh... here's another one for you:

Posted Image

NZ racing colours on display

:up: Ray

#235 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:08

It's all Geoff Smedley's fault!

He's now absorbed reading TNF. And looking for more stuff to send me, I gather...

#236 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:31

Re Geoff Smedley's pic of Jim Clark leadng the field between those stumpy trees:

Forget that we are all on TNF, and try to imagine how shocking that scene must be to "modern" eyes. How many "unsafe" items(to modrn minds) can you see?

A great photo

Just another great pic on this great thread. Thank you one and all

#237 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:04

Posted Image

S Martin on the far right, next to his boss

#238 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:01

That would have been my second guess, as I was wondering if the bloke next to Hill was Bib although it looks a lot like Jack. Haven't seen enough photos of either out of their cars to recognise them well enough.

Great photos Geoff!

#239 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:14

Originally posted by David McKinney

S Martin on the far right, next to his boss

Yes, Spencer on far right, David McKay with peaked cap and head bent forward, and Bob Atkin (SVM mech) next to him. I also recognise the bloke with the pork-pie hat but can't put a name to him...

Advertisement

#240 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:21

Back to camera is Ron McKinnon, President of the Longford Motor Racing Association. Opposite him, head down, is another one of the organising committee and lead commentator, Felix McCallum, then there's obviously Graham Hill, then in the next pair of blue overalls is Bob Atkin, one of the principals and lead mechanic for Scuderia Veloce.

David has correctly identified David McKay and Spencer Martin on the far right.

But nobody has yet mentioned the eyebrow just visible over the microphone... that's the Premier of Tasmania, Eric Reece... the man largely responsible for the continual improvement to the roads that made up the circuit.

Next:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#241 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:39

1960 Craven International at Bathurst in October. The winner Brabham leads away Stillwell in the red car who finished 3rd, Mildren in the green car with 2nd place Patterson outside him?

#242 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:44

And the yellow car is Austin Millers. All of these were T51 Coopers.

#243 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:40

I guess Mildren liked the yellow so much he decided to adopt it later on :confused:

#244 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seeing as we're discussing them on this page, let's have the pics on this page...

Posted Image

Posted Image

These too...

#245 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:06

Apparently the story goes that Alec was at the airport and saw some of the ground vehicles in their yellow paint and decided that that was the colour for his team because he could see them easily.

#246 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:07

And what about this, then?

Posted Image

#247 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:09

Nice find Ray!

#248 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:58

Like I said... blame this bloke!

Posted Image

This, by the way, is an unusual angle. Like the one heading down to Longford Corner, rarely seen. What I really want to see, though, is pictures of the Bashmobile!

#249 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,784 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:29

Great pics Ray

#250 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 13:10

Yeah, I was totally surprised to receive them from Geoff, who I knew back in the sixties when he was working for Frank Matich and the Howard & Sons team. A couple of years ago when I went for a trip to Tassie I looked him up, and out of the blue he e.mailed me a few weeks ago.

I just knew they'd be appreciated here, too. He knows that and laments that so many others he had over the years are no longer to be found...

Here's another one of Geoff racing... at Longford again:

Posted Image