Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#2501 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 14:16

Have you snuck another Kiwi in on us there, John?
Don't think I've ever seen another pic of Shelly in the Lola...
And is Matich running without lower bodywork, or is that a trick of the light?

Advertisement

#2502 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 14:39

Surely it's a pic from practice, David...

No heads in the foreground at the most crowded part of the circuit. I'd say Matich might have been testing something and left the lower bodywork off to provide access. Or perhaps it was damaged and not yet repaired?

The meeting would undoubtedly have been the '64 Tasman race, and I don't think the Brabham has a race number on it. Friday unofficial practice?

#2503 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:54

Warwick Farm, the western crossing

Posted Image

#2504 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:57

1962 International meeting practice...

That No 5, I don't recognise that car. The stands are empty again, John... practice day. And there was more bush around the lakes then too.

#2505 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:52

Ray, herewith the grid, per Autosport.
Posted Image
Roger

#2506 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:08

Yes Ray, No. 5 is a mystery to me too. 5 was John Youls number but his Cooper was dark blue.
I do not remember if I took this on Friday or Saturday practice'
Moss of course in the Lotus but decided to use the Cooper to win on Sunday.

#2507 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:10

It couldn't be Roy heading for the Homstead fence could it?

#2508 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:26

The race report gives John Youl in a Scuderia Veloce Cooper, the sole SV car after McKay scratched, and Bandini in a "tired" Centro Sud Cooper Maserati, although he did finish fourth. A long time ago so I cannot recall the Centro Sud colours, but think maroon/dark red
Roger Lund

#2509 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:40

Cntro-Sud colours were plain red (on this occasion) but Bandini's car was a lowline T53, so that ain't it.
High-line cars in the entry were Youl's, McKay's and Miller's - didn't Scuderia Veloce run that colour-scheme at some stage?
(Not that it looks much like Sir Malcolm at the wheel)

#2510 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:44

It does look like John Youl, and if he was running under SV's banner, then the colours would be acceptable if not right...

#2511 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:49

I just found it, John Youl, Scuderia Veloce Cooper Climax #5.

#2512 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:27

Lorenzo Bandini Centro Sud Cooper Maserati, Warwick Farm February 1962
My program is autographed by him.

Posted Image

#2513 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 21:01

I've never seen a colour shot of that car before John...

Fantastic stuff! I know you'll run out of pics one day, but I certainly hope it's not soon!

That's taken about a third of the way down Hume Straight, isn't it?

#2514 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 23:05

Knowing how popular these things were "down under" in period, I attach a little souvenir from the Goodwood Revival. It appeared to be immaculate and was the pride and joy of its owner.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

#2515 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 00:39

That's a not-very-common 203A, I believe...

Big back window, but no tail lights on the rear guards. Circa 1953, first to have the longer gearbox installed... they were fragile because of a machining error on the mainshaft that caused poor hapless individuals (like me in the late sixties) to lose second and third gears.

#2516 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 23:35

What a beautiful 203!!!!

Here is a photo I took of one competing at Kempsey hillclimb; the old hillclimb, not the current one.

Posted Image

Late 1969 I think.

It had a "grey" Holden engine;

Posted Image

#2517 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 00:41

Oran Park 1962.

The first few are identified by notations on the prints;

Col Robinson (Holden);

Posted Image

Dick Newell (Buckle);

Posted Image

George Murray (Austin Special);

Posted Image

George was my (and everyone's) favourite at Oran Park as he gave the new-fangled rear-engined cars a hard time and often beat them.

Posted Image

Tom Goss (Mini); the others are not identified;

Posted Image

Warren Weldon (Holden);

Posted Image

And the unidentifieds (I can guess at a couple of them but I will leave it to the experts);

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2518 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:28

Plannerpower, I think the Holden engined 203 was owned by Brian Lear and Kerry Power of Newcastle, Brian still races in Historics and visits this forum, do you have any other pics of Kempsy Hillclimb at Crescent Head Road as I ran there several times in the late sixties.

Can't identify the unidentified Oran Park pics without doing some research but the Buchanan
no. 81 looks as if it may have an MG motor by the position of the extractors.

No. 134 looks Vincent powered Lynx or Ralt

No. 136 is a Lynx, possibly the Powell/Wherrett car from Young, ch. no. 108.

#2519 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:28

Dick; is there anything you don't know about old racing cars?? :)

You are correct as to the 203; that is Brian Lear in the driver's seat.

I don't think that I have any others of Kempsey but I will have a look.

Advertisement

#2520 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:38

Sorry Kerry, I should have woken up it was you hiding behind the nom-de-plume, it rather makes my comments on the Peugeot superfluous.

#2521 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:28

Originally posted by Dick Willis
Plannerpower, I think the Holden engined 203 was owned by Brian Lear and Kerry Power of Newcastle, Brian still races in Historics and visits this forum, do you have any other pics of Kempsy Hillclimb at Crescent Head Road as I ran there several times in the late sixties.

Can't identify the unidentified Oran Park pics without doing some research but the Buchanan
no. 81 looks as if it may have an MG motor by the position of the extractors.

No. 134 looks Vincent powered Lynx or Ralt

No. 136 is a Lynx, possibly the Powell/Wherrett car from Young, ch. no. 108.

Dick, The Vincent car would be the John Marsden racer. The other Lynx is either that one you mentioned or could it possibly be the Arthur Binns (Borgward?) that was around at that time. I had a hand in their construction when I worked at Lynx Eng, in Niech (?) Lane, Burwood in the early sixties

#2522 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:53

I had to rescue this thread from page 8, come on everyone ,bring out your photos !
Bib Stillwell leads Greg Cusack, both in Repco Brabham Cosworth 1500 T/Cs, in the up to 1500 10 lap race Warwick Farm 19 September 1965.

Posted Image

#2523 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:38

Originally posted by John Ellacott
I had to rescue this thread from page 8, come on everyone ,bring out your photos !
Bib Stillwell leads Greg Cusack, both in Repco Brabham Cosworth 1500 T/Cs, in the up to 1500 10 lap race Warwick Farm 19 September 1965.

Posted Image

Thanks John. :clap: What a pair of gorgeous little cars - clean and neat and sleek. A far cry from today's ugly be-winged contrivances...

#2524 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:43

Thanks for rescuing this great thread John, one day when I can work out how to post my pics I have some beauties which would be worth a look.

#2525 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:40

Hi,

Uncovered this glorious picture at the bottom of some newspapers.

Sorry about the condition, but i thought, given its subject matter, the picture was worth posting.

It is of course triple Australian Grand Prix winner Doug Whiteford in the ex-Behra Maserati 300S at Jaguar Corner Albert Park, on his way to 3rd place behind Moss and Brabham, Melbourne Grand Prix November1958.

Derek

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2526 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:24

Originally posted by Dick Willis
Thanks for rescuing this great thread John, one day when I can work out how to post my pics I have some beauties which would be worth a look.

Dick, try this patent idiots' guide which Ray set up a while back. Works for me. Post 1478 refers.
http://forums.autosp...330#post3371330
Roger Lund.

#2527 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:59

Originally posted by John Ellacott
I had to rescue this thread from page 8, come on everyone, bring out your photos!
Bib Stillwell leads Greg Cusack, both in Repco Brabham Cosworth 1500 T/Cs, in the up to 1500 10 lap race, Warwick Farm 19 September 1965.

Posted Image

Are you sure this wasn't the famous race at the May meeting that year, John? September 19 is just nine weeks before Johnny Harvey made his debut in the Stillwell car, I'm fairly sure Stillwell was out of it by that time.

Actually, I'll go out on a limb with this. I have very little doubt it is the May event, during which Greg lowered the class record from c.1:37.2 to c.1:35.2, Stillwell and Geoghegan not doing anything like those times as Greg caught up from an early spin at Creek when he went in way too deep outbraking Stillwell.

The next meeting, July postponed to August, Greg raced against Martin's 2.5 Brabham, again dipping into 1:35s... I don't recall what happened at the September meeting, but I cannot recall Greg ever again coming up against the Melbourne driver.

#2528 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,883 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:38

Is that an HR Holden in the background. If so it would make it 1966

#2529 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:45

Cannot be '66...

Stillwell's car was first raced, as I mentioned above, by Johnny Harvey at Lakeside in November. The ATT meeting where the Cobra appeared. It was by then painted black with Shell bands on the nose.

So it's an HD?

Y'know, for a photo taken halfway down a straight, there's a lot of action taking place here!

#2530 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 20:22

Ray, It has to be the September meeting. I have the programs and the entry and car numbers fit ;) :)

#2531 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 20:38

Derek, The Whiteford 300S Maserati, one of my favorite cars !
this was Longford March 1960, stopped in the pit lane while other cars flash by on the narrow road at over 100 MPH. I think that is his daughter standing at the front of the car.

Posted Image

#2532 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 22:24

Derek, The Whiteford 300S Maserati, one of my favorite cars !
this was Longford March 1960, stopped in the pit lane while other cars flash by on the narrow road at over 100 MPH. I think that is his daughter standing at the front of the car.

Yes John,

Me too - there was a certain authority, even imperiousness, about that driver/car combination which lives with me to this day.

Briliant photo...I remember seeing Kaye Whiteford race at Calder when she raced her MGB and I remember her as blonde..but i guess a girl's hair colour could possibly change!!

Derek

#2533 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 23:08

Stand by for the worst quality picture ever posted!

I found this picture, which is in very poor condition, in a box and I was fascinated by the content and by its surreal and almost ghostly nature.

It is Albert Park November 1958 again, probably the start of a heat of the Melbourne Grand Prix.

I can make out Austin Miller's F2 Cooper..oops sorry, Miller Special.....and i can see Bill Pitt's D Type Jaguar and possibly the Whiteford 300S in the background, but the Ferrari-like car in the foreground fascinates me.

Davison had "retired" so it cant be the ex-Ascari 500 ..could it be the Curly Bryden Ferrari Corvette? The exhaust looks original though....hmmmmm

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2534 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,955 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:04

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
Stand by for the worst quality picture ever posted!

I found this picture, which is in very poor condition, in a box and I was fascinated by the content and by its surreal and almost ghostly nature.

It is Albert Park November 1958 again, probably the start of a heat of the Melbourne Grand Prix.

I can make out Austin Miller's F2 Cooper..oops sorry, Miller Special.....and i can see Bill Pitt's D Type Jaguar and possibly the Whiteford 300S in the background, but the Ferrari-like car in the foreground fascinates me.

Davison had "retired" so it cant be the ex-Ascari 500 ..could it be the Curly Bryden Ferrari Corvette? The exhaust looks original though....hmmmmm

Derek...brilliant and very evocative shot...a photo conservator could do wonders with it as well :up:

#2535 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:19

Posted Image
By kevbart

Derek,
Here is a pic of that race line-up from front on. Alas, my box brownie again so hazy depth of field.

#2536 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:27

Thanks 275GT..i tried fiddling with my samsung camera software and improved it a little bit. I hope somebody more talented can do better than I did.

Derek

#2537 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:53

Thanks Kevin,

Your pic seems to be heat 2 of the Melbourne GP.

The grid seems to be:

Bill Patterson 1750cc Cooper, Ted Grey Tornado and of course Black Jack's 2 litre 1958 works car - the latter on pole of course. Thereafter, it looks like Pitt's D Type and Stan Jones 250F (I can see Otto Stone), behind them and looking like an Elfin Mallala, is Jolly's Lotus XV, the Lukey Bristol and a super-sqaulo Ferrari...Tom Clarke's I would guess. This has to be a heat because Patto didnt start in the final and of course the pic of the start of the final is very well-known.

I think my battered old pic must be the rear of the gird for the actual GP because of the presence of a 300S and Aussie Miller's little Cooper and because the D Type is well back and not on the second row as in your box brownie picture.

Also, I think i have may have answered my own question ...the Ferrari in my pic is NZ'er Tom Clarke's Super Sqaulo which had an altercation with Alec Mildren's T43 2 Litre Cooper at Lucas Corner on Lap 1 of the final.

Regards
Derek

#2538 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:58

I think you're right about the Squalo - I didn't think so at first, because the tail isn't right, but we can probably put that down to the quality of the print :)

I could never understand, incidentally, why Australian publications of the time always put an 'e' on the end of Tom Clark's name

#2539 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,955 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:50

Thanks 275GT..i tried fiddling with my samsung camera software and improved it a little bit. I hope somebody more talented can do better than I did.

Derek

Derek....let us know approximately what part of the world you are ensconced in so that we might be able to advise where to take your precious snaps :wave:

Advertisement

#2540 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:53

[i]Originally posted by Derek Pitt
Bill Patterson 1750cc Cooper, ]

What engine would that have been, Derek, Alfa or bored out Climax.. or what?
Roger Lund

#2541 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,767 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:24

Thanks Kevin,

Your pic seems to be heat 2 of the Melbourne GP.

The grid seems to be:

Bill Patterson 1750cc Cooper, Ted Grey Tornado and of course Black Jack's 2 litre 1958 works car - the latter on pole of course. Thereafter, it looks like Pitt's D Type and Stan Jones 250F (I can see Otto Stone), behind them and looking like an Elfin Mallala, is Jolly's Lotus XV, the Lukey Bristol and a super-sqaulo Ferrari...Tom Clarke's I would guess. This has to be a heat because Patto didnt start in the final and of course the pic of the start of the final is very well-known.

I think my battered old pic must be the rear of the gird for the actual GP because of the presence of a 300S and Aussie Miller's little Cooper and because the D Type is well back and not on the second row as in your box brownie picture.

Also, I think i have may have answered my own question ...the Ferrari in my pic is NZ'er Tom Clarke's Super Sqaulo which had an altercation with Alec Mildren's T43 2 Litre Cooper at Lucas Corner on Lap 1 of the final.

Regards
Derek

The Ferrari is the Arnold Glass Super Squalo. Clark wore a dark coloured helmet and Glass a white one.

There are photos of both cars in Barry Green's Albert Park book.

#2542 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:49

True, Milan
I should have picked that up

Roger, the Cooper engine was a Climax FPF. I don't recall any Alfa engines being put to this purpose in Australia - in fact I don't think they were used in any numbers outside southern Africa

#2543 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:02

Originally posted by bradbury west
What engine would that have been, Derek, Alfa or bored out Climax.. or what?
Roger Lund

Climax, Roger...

There wouldn't have been any Alfa engines in the country at the time, I wouldn't think.

#2544 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:04

David, Ray, many thanks, that is what I thought it must be, but the 1750cc capacity seemed a bit odd from the original 1495, the block, presumably, well capable of over-boring. I will check in Wally Hassan's book and the Des Hamill Climax tome. As a long shot, knowing Australian proclivities, I had visions of some obtuse derivative of a bored and stroked Peugeot .......... but not at the front of the grid.
RL

#2545 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:07

[i]Originally posted by Milan Fistonic
There are photos of both cars in Barry Green's Albert Park book. [/B]

Is this still in print, and what is the title, please?.
Roger Lund

#2546 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,284 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:19

Originally posted by bradbury west

Is this still in print, and what is the title, please?.
Roger Lund

Glory Days. Self-published, with just one copy available on ABE at the moment for about £14. But postage from Oz is crippling .....

#2547 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:56

The Patterson Cooper

This is the ex-Brabham/ex-Stillwell T43 single cam Climax-engined car brought to Australia by Brabham and raced at Orange in 1958. It was then raced extensively by Bib Stillwell in 1958. There is a fine photgraph of the car at Longford 1958 in the Bib Stillwell 50 Year Calender of 1999 where it is described as 1750cc. Stillwell raced he car at Bathurst that year and crashed heavily in what was the only major accident of his front-line career.

Bill Patterson raced the car in the latter part of 1958 and early 1959, before replacing it with a 2 litre T51 during that year. The car was loaned to Doug Whiteford for the Phillip Island Brabham Labour Day meeting in March 1960 where it was painted red, but with leaf spring single wishbone front and rear suspension and, (I think), drum brakes and despite now having a twin cam 2 litre FPf was clearly outclassed.

The car was advertised in AMS October 1960 for 2,900 pounds complete with latest 2 litre Climax engine.

Derek

#2548 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:15

It was then raced extensively by Bib Stillwell in 1958

Well, raced at three meetings, anyway ;)

Roger,
The 1700 or 1750 was the first standard Climax overbore, used by the Cooper works in 1957 before the "next step" 1960cc version became widely available. OTTOMH there were still only three 2200cc conversions by the end of 1958, one with the Cooper factory, one with Team Lotus and one with the Rob Walker RT (but I might have forgotten about a sportscar engine in there somewhere)

#2549 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 13:15

David... didn't Patto have his own crank made somewhere in Australia?

I know he was out of step with the other big boys in racing here...

#2550 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 14:11

Possibly, Ray
But the car Jack B raced at Orange had a 1750, so did Stillwell's before his Bathurst crash - I presumed Patto bought car plus engine
Alec Mildren was another to use a 1750 ISTR