Posted 25 October 2008 - 14:19

David, many thanks. I was aware of the 1960cc and 2200cc variants
RL

Advertisement

#2552 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 16:47

Just to complete the pre-2.5 picture, there was also a 2014cc version, which I think was an Alf Francis concoction. I'm sure it's all in DCN's Cooper book, which I can't check at the moment.

#2553 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 19:59

The whole scene with these FPF engines as they were 'growing up' points out how different things were then...

Today you just order a set of custom made forged pistons from somewhere, get rods made to order by Carrillo or similar and you are most of the way there. Getting a crank made might be a bit harder for engines other than US production V8s, it's more of an old style machine shop operation like the old days.

I think, David, I might have been confusing Mildren with Patterson in some 'independent thinking' in expanding those Climaxes. One of them, I'm sure, did go his own way progressively making his FPF larger. Just like the Alf Francis concoction you mention.

To do this they probably found some available pistons that were a certain size and worked around that to enlarge their engine.

#2554 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 20:36

David is correct...

There was a Rob Walker 2014cc version of the FPF which Moss used to win the Argentine GP in 1958. This was also the car/engine combination that he drove to victory in the 1958 Melbourne GP at Albert Park -despite cooking the engine in the process.

There was, of course, another capacity climax engine that was produced in Australia - the 2,400cc.

Austin Miller ran such an engine during 1960 in his yellow T51, until comprehensively destroying the engine at Bathurst in October 1960 and I am fairly certain Bill Patterson ran one prior to him getting his hands on a full blown 2.5 litre engine. One of the ex-Stillwell T51's also ran in 2.4 litre form and was also supercharged.

These engines appear to have offered little in the way of increased performance over the 2,200ccc version and were certainly less reliable.

Derek

#2555 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 23:32

I have looked in DCN's book and the Francis effort is correct. There is also a point that Jack Brabham quietly came up with his own 2.2 version with a Laystall crank and special pistons and liners made up by Repco. It seems that Salvadori was the instigator of the boring out/capacity enlargement of the original FPF engines to put Cooper up into F1 eligibility size after testing at Goodwood, with a back to back test of the FPF and FWB.
Des Hammill details the engine dimensions for the FPFs;
1.5 ltr bore 3.2ins & stroke 2.8ins
2.0 ltr 3.405ins 3.3ins
2.2ltr 3.5ins 3.5ins
2.5ltr 3.7ins 3.54ins *
2.7ltr 3.78ins 3.74ins *
these 2 * came, of course, with the re-designed block.
So accepting that there was a generous amount of metal on the 1.5ltr, elementary boring out with some proprietory pistons and liners seems quite reasonable to take the engine out to 1750cc, where we came in.
As an aside, I much enjoyed Wally Hassan's book, and I find the Des Hamill Climax book a very useable read with good information and a working narrative. I hasten to add that I am not an engineer so I cannot suggest that it may suit everyone, but it gives very full detail on the specifics for which I need background and history.
Roger Lund.

#2556 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 23:35

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
Thanks 275GT..i tried fiddling with my samsung camera software and improved it a little bit. I hope somebody more talented can do better than I did.

Derek

State Library of Victoria
The State Library of Victoria's Picture Collection forms a comprehensive visual record of the state and its people. The 650,000 images in the Collection constitute the oldest visual historical collection in Australia, illustrating the development of Victoria from the 1850s to the 1990s. Also included are some interstate and overseas views.
Of the Library's Picture Collection, over 180,000 images have been digitised and made available online via the Library's Pictures Catalogue. The Pictures Catalogue also contains some images from the Australian manuscripts, map, rare books and other special collections
The scope of the Library's digitised content covers a diverse range of themes and collections. Content includes such subject areas as Melbourne and Victorian street scenes, buildings, ships, country views, costume, flora and fauna, portraits, Australian Aborigines, political and social events particularly of the nineteenth century, aerial views of Melbourne, factory interiors, domestic architecture, furniture, household goods and appliances, topographical, geological, botanical, agricultural and mining scenes, Federation commemorative arches and Boer War celebrations.
Further information about the scope of the State Library of Victoria's digitised content can be found on the Library's Web site.
For more information, contact:
Librarian, Picture Collection
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street MELBOURNE VICTORIA 3000 Australia
phone +61 (0)3 8664 7012
fax +61 (0)3 9639 6829
email webinfo@slv.vic.gov.au
web http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/

Museum Victoria
Museum Victoria Provides access to images from three different collections via Picture Australia. The most extensive is the Biggest Family Album collection which includes over 9,000 online photographs covering the constructed and natural environments, the nature of work, recreation, technology, travel and farming.
The photographs date back to the turn of the last century and show ordinary men and women making history - people taking to the skies, first travelling in cars or exploring early radio communications.
The Imagining Australia 1914-1918 database presents material from Museum Victoria's collections which show the various depictions of Australian identity during the war. The photographs from this database illustrate the Australian experience of the First World War in Egypt, Australia, Belgium and France.
Images from the Sunshine harvester works web site show the history and operations of the agricultural manufacturing enterprise established by HV McKay in the 1880s around Sunshine in Victoria. The Sunshine Harvester Works (which gave the suburb its name), was the largest industrial enterprise in Australia in the 1920s. It had a major impact on the social and economic development of Australia, and was a significant contributor to the mechanisation of agriculture around the world.
Based in Melbourne, Museum Victoria cares for the State's vast and priceless natural science, Indigenous, social history and science and technology collections. The overall size of these collections is estimated at approximately 16 million individual items. Museum Victoria runs four museums at three separate locations:
• Melbourne Museum and Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton Gardens;
• Scienceworks Museum, Spotswood; and
• Immigration Museum, Old Customs House, Flinders Street.
For more information about any of the Museum Victoria photographs in Picture Australia, please contact:
Discovery Centre
Museum Victoria
PO Box 666
MELBOURNE VICTORIA 3001
Australia
phone +61 (0)3 8341 7111
fax +61 (0)3 8341 7788
email discoverycentre@museum.vic.gov.au
web http://www.museum.vi...discoverycentre

#2557 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:04

275GTB

Thanks for your assistance... it is appreciated.

I am in Melbourne so I will follow up on those leads you have given.

In the meantime I shall scour the rest of the boxes etc to see what other gems, if any, are hidden in there.

Derek

#2558 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 159 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:44

Catalina Circuit Katoomba . The three Mustangs of Geoghegan ,Beechey and Jane making there first appearance together in New South Wales 7 th November 1965.

Posted Image

#2559 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:51

About which event John Hinxman said, "Catalina's the only circuit in the country wide enough for the three Mustangs to race on!"

This was the final event for the car on the left, wasn't it? Great photo, as usual, John... and an unusual spot for a pic of the circuit.

Advertisement

#2560 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:19

FROM the annals of South Australian motor sport, that veritable mine of information, Tom Stevens, well known for outstanding recall of racing over many decades, recently afforded me the following shots for scanning and they are well worth a look:
Posted Image
On the grid at Port Wakefield: Tom Stevens in the ex-Bob Brown TC special which is now with the Molina family. To the left #30 is
Gavin Sandford Morgan. The Austin special of Noel Wade is astern of Stevens and in the mix Bill Pile and others are TC mounted.
Posted Image
With the Bert O'Hara special in the weeds, Tom (#15) takes the beautifully balanced TC Special a win over Jack Johnson in the ex-Bill Craig Cooper, again at Port Wakefield.
Posted Image
Preparing for the 1956 Argus Cup meeting at Albert Park, Tom (foreground) and Ross Lindsay admire the custom exhaust ducting of the green TC special which TS feels was over handicapped at Albert Park after he'd had a stellar turn at Port Wakefield immediately prior to the Olympic meet.
Posted Image
On this day, Tom enjoyed his last race in the "square rigger" red car (#57) which went to Roger Yates of Grand Garage. Stevens had arranged to acquire the Bob Brown car (#43, green) as Brown had been advised for health reasons to step out of racing cars.
Posted Image
Tom Stevens aboard his original "square rigger" TC.
Posted Image
The former Mrs J.A.S. Jones 6C 1750 Alfa, owned at the time by Bob Jervies of Broken Hill, and driven by Ian Virgo leads Steven's MG. The Alfa was at one time owned by Bob Brown, later Gavin Sandford Morgan and Tony Cullen in SA before doing the rounds of Terry Valmorbida, Jack Lawson and Diana Gaze. As Tom Stevens reports, only Gavin Sandford Morgan "collected" cars. The rest just moved from one to another, hoping each time to have found something better!
Posted Image
Eldred Norman was supplied a Singer by Maughan Thiem Motors to "beat the TC's". He could round up most but not quite Tom Stevens.
Posted Image
Tom Stevens driving Bill Craig's Allard J2 provided the "pilot car" for "Gelignite" Jack Murray and co-driver, Bill (no relation) Murray
as they entered the Morphettville racecourse in Adelaide during the 1954 Redex Round Australia Trial. Tom's passenger was the local Dunlop representative.
Posted Image
Expecting rough patches ahead, 1954 Redex winners, Jack and Bill Murray went about lightening the load - including, as Tom Steven's recalls, a "bloody great elephant gun!"

More to come! Tom is sorting through his vast archives. I've also got some crackers of Doug Whiteford in Talbot Lago and 300S at Albert Park. Will upload when time permits!

TP

#2561 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:30

Thanks Tony (and Tom)
Keep 'em coming :up:

#2562 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:33

Superb stuff! :up:

#2563 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:48

Doug Whiteford 300S.........perks

Derek

#2564 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:22

Originally posted by Tony Parkinson

TP [/B]

Fabulous, fabulous stuff Parky!!....the things you notice, "Proofkote" on the flanks of the Murray 1954 Redex car...they were obviously around as a company for quite some time.

#2565 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 23:27

Have a look at the 'US F5000 reunion coming up' thread. The pics posted by lateralg on 26/10 include the warwick brown, pat Burke racing car.
In some respects a shame to see a famous Aussie car racing in the States but at least it is alive and being usede.

#2566 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:31

As promised, Doug Whiteford 300S shot - from that man Edward N Steet, Holden racer and photographer extraordinaire of 20 Esplanada St Kilda Phone: LA 9009. I'll post a few of these over next day or two. They are from original Ed Steet or Peter d'Abbs prints given to me in 2005/6 by Peter Watson whose father was a close associate of Doug's.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2567 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:43

Originally posted by Tony Parkinson
As promised, Doug Whiteford 300S shot - from that man Edward N Steet, Holden racer and photographer extraordinaire of 20 Esplanada St Kilda Phone: LA 9009. I'll post a few of these over next day or two. They are from original Ed Steet or Peter d'Abbs prints given to me in 2005/6 by Peter Watson whose father was a close associate of Doug's.

Posted Image

Nicely in control at Fishermens Bend...

Eddie Steet was a real loss, and his photos were a huge loss also...

#2568 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:39

Agreed Ray. I was lucky enough, before they were confined to storage, to see a number of original Ed Steet shots when researching the 100S.
While I've got a spare moment, this Peter D'Abbs shot of Doug Whiteford in 300S with Lex Davison appearing to indicate the distance he'd like Doug to maintain is nothing short of priceless. Not sure of date, but suggest Albert Park 24.3.57 when Lex ran HWM. Cooper Climax (Braham?) behind may help confirm. Perhaps it's form up for the 25mile Grade "A" Scratch Race for Sports Cars?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2569 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:51

Let's put the pic up at a reasonable size and see what the Cooper's all about... I think it's too late for Brabham to have a Cooper like that isn't it?

Posted Image

#2570 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:17

One more. This is another fine Ed Steet shot at Albert Park during the November 23-30 1958 Melbourne GP meeting. Bob Jane 300S #27 leads Doug Whiteford #26 with Bill Pitt, D-type tucked behind as they overtake Lou Molina's Repco Holden powered Monza #63having dispatched #77, Terry Valmor's (Valmorbida) Austin Healey 100S, Chassis #3909 believed to have been driven on this occasion by none other than Paul Hawkins. Incidentally, on back of the print, Ed Steet's address is given as 321 William Street, Melbourne.

Re the Doug/Lex shot, both Brabham and Patterson were listed as being Cooper Climax-mounted at the 57TT meeting and as Patterson's car was usually white, I assume this was Brabham's. I did have a programme copy but the scan excluded racing numbers!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2571 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:25

I think you might be looking at the wrong race at that Albert Park meeting, Tony
Whiteford started the Victorian Tourist Trophy from the front row, with Allan Mackay's 1100cc Cooper-Climax on the row behind. Patto's Cooper was, as you say, white (and blue) and Brabham's at this meeting was an open-wheeler. Davo was also an entry in the TT, but a nonstarter after his HWM-Jag broke its DeDion tube in practice.
Whiteford easily won the race, even after a pit-stop to check damage after a brush with a car he was lapping - Mackay's Cooper

#2572 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:57

Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanks David. I've just searched out the programme page from TT 23.4.57 (hopefully attached) and yes, Allan Mackay's Cooper is entered so it may well be that meeting? And yes, Lex is obviously not race ready suggesting retired car.

#2573 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:13

Just superb photgraphs of the maestro and the 300S Tony.

However, I think you have the description wrong.....I would say Whiteford and Pitt are lapping both Jane and Molina although I am mystified how the D Type would be that close to the 300S if lapping was taking place.

It should be remembered that Jane's frst few outings in the ex-Moss 300S were notable only for the number of spins and body damage incurred during the Jane steep learning curve.

Incidently, I have previously commented on the majestic air of authority created by Whiteford and the 300S.

The picture posted captures this "air" maginificently.

And David, if Alan McKay did brush with the 300S, he would have done well to make himself scarce after the race!

Derek

#2574 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:45

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
.....And David, if Alan McKay did brush with the 300S, he would have done well to make himself scarce after the race!

How true... though some don't know that side of the 'Silver Fox'...

Thanks for this pic, too, Tony. Just resized and brought up directly:

Posted Image

If you're scanning these yourself, Tony, probably a good idea to scan each pic twice... once in high resolution in case it's ever needed for reproduction in a magazine or programme or something, once in low resolution for use on the net. I shoot for a pic size of around 720 pixels wide for landscape photos, so they fit on a screen nicely and download fairly quickly.

I would recommend you download the free program 'Irfanview' (download via the Tucows site is best) and use it for resizing pics for use on the net. It's very easy and quick to use, you can do a lot with it without having to be an expert like you do to use Photoshop.

#2575 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:45

Interesting to see J Brabham in the entry for that race, as the 1460cc (FWB) sportscar had already been sold in New Zealand
As previously mentioned, he did race his 1460cc F2 car at the Albert Park meeting

#2576 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:56

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I would recommend you download the free program 'Irfanview' (download via the Tucows site is best) and use it for resizing pics for use on the net. It's very easy and quick to use, you can do a lot with it without having to be an expert like you do to use Photoshop.

Even quicker or easier is the 'resize image' box on the ImageShack home page, before you select your image. I think 720 pixels is the default, though I go for 800, which is closer to the standard thread width

#2577 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:39

It's definitely Whiteford and Pitt lapping Molina and Jane. A few comments from Australian Motor Sports, December 1958:

The rest of the field were still sorting themselves out and Molina and Jane had already started the terrific duel they were to continue for 19 laps.

Pitt was lapping in 2.04 with the astute Whiteford sitting very close at hand.....

Molina and Jane were having a terrific struggle with only yards separating them and Jane's driving had improved out of all sight after his poor display at the "Bend" meeting.

After 12 laps had been reeled off, Whiteford decided to take the lead and moved off to a 3 second advantage from Pitt.

By the twentieth lap, Phillips had closed up considerably on the "D" type and things were getting interesting. Molina pulled out with suspension trouble giving Jane, in the Maser, a nice easy passage from there on.

Ron Phillips was of course in the T38 Cooper-Jaguar.

So this photo occured between the 12th and 20th laps, probably shortly after Whiteford took the lead, as there is no sign of Phillips in the background.

#2578 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 13:25

I don't know who was first to fit disc brakes to a racing special in Australia, but this has to be a good candidate. It's the venerable Ballot V8, and the year is 1954, at a round-the-houses meeting in Western Australia, probably Goomalling. The driver is Vin Smith, the owner is Bunny Court, and a few months later it passed to Mick Geneve who promptly heaved out the flathead Ford and fitted a Dodge 6. I originally thought this pic was from 1955, but through 1955 it had the Dodge 6. The car still has the flathead Ford in this pic.

Look at the front left hand wheel: disc brakes!

Posted Image

#2579 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 14:01

Thanks for posting that, Terry... it's definitely a 'Wow!' photo...

The Bedmor had discs prior to this car, of course, probably from some time in 1949 or 1950. Strangely enough, it doesn't have them now.

Nevertheless, I might sit here a while and appreciate all the action that's going on in this photo and how well The Vandal has captured it on film.

Advertisement

#2580 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 14:18

Another top photograph posting, Terry. To me it looks an unusual angle for the radius rod. What was the rear suspension set up?
Roger Lund.

#2581 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 21:01

You might find that's a handbrake rod... or even a brake rod... Roger...

The chassis was originally from a 1920s Ballot Targa Florio car IIRC, the chassis rails (etc) having been replaced with those from a Chev 4 after the car was destroyed at Phillip Island in 1934, it having rolled on a straight and killed its ex-motorcyclist driver.

Jack Nelson then bought the car and shipped its remains to Perth. The bulky fuel tank he didn't reckon on needing for the sprint-type races he was likely to contest in WA, so that was left behind and was fitted by Jim Gullan to his Wolseley in which he contested the 1936 South Australian Centenary Grand Prix. Fuel surge in that tank was so great that, on a sweeping bend, it caused the Wolseley to slide out of control and run over a stake in the ground, putting the car out of that race.

Nelson, meanwhile, had rebuilt the Ballot. But the twin-cam 4-cyl engine failed and he fitted the now-popular Ford V8. It was only a short time later that the body seen in the picture above was created, updating the appearance of the car somewhat. Nelson's last run in the car was, I think, Lobethal in 1940.

It went through various hands, some of whom are mentioned by Terry. It even contested the Australian Grand Prix again (Neil Gullifer had first entered that race in this Ballot about 1931... sorry, I don't have references here) in 1957, but by now it looked different again with a strange new body built by Mick Geneve. And it was repowered, a Chrysler flathead 6 sitting up front.

Finally, with yet another body, somewhat cleaned up from the one it had, and a Chevrolet V8 installed, ex-motorcycle racer Geneve lost control of the car down the straight at Caversham and died in the resulting crash.

There's a picture of it very shortly before that crash at 'Terry's Place' on the front of a 1959 Caversham programme. It had a pre-1940 Ford rear axle by then, so I don't know what Ballot bits may have remained.

#2582 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 21:30

[i]Originally posted by Ray Bell
]You might find that's a handbrake rod... or even a brake rod... Roger...

DOH..... exits stage left looking rather sheepish.....
Thanks for the rest of the posted history, Ray. This stuff fascinates me.
Roger

#2583 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 23:43

Remember CPosted Imageharlie Smith's giant killing Morris Major, here it is at Catalina Park, Katoomba in 1961.

#2584 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 23:44

Didn't quite get that right ! Ray is going to ring me shortly, I hope.

#2585 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 00:00

Originally posted by Dick Willis
Remember Charlie Smith's giant killing Morris Major, here it is at Catalina Park, Katoomba in 1961.

Posted Image

You didn't do too bad, really, Dick...

You simply inserted the coding in the wrong place and uploaded the picture on its side. I'll ring now.

#2586 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:23

I was talking to a guy the other day who was at Caversham when Mick Geneve crashed, and according to his memory the front of the car "lifted" (rather like the flying Le Mans cars I suppose except not upside down) and then, partly airborne and unable to steer, rolled. I have often wondered how it happened, and this memory may have the answer.

#2587 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:42

Two previously unposted shots from the same event as the Ballot - 1954, probably Goomalling but not absolutely sure. David Van Dal took a stack at a Goomalling meeting, a smaller stack at Northam, another smaller stack at Narrogin, and an even smaller stack at Busselton. Plus of course Caversham.

My guess is that these three are from the Goomalling set. All are taken as the cars turn into a right-hander. I haven't posted thesee earlier as the first shot was very dark and contrasty (fixed up a bit now) and the second blurred, but both are interesting.

Maurie Maurice in the HRG-based Holden-engined Rymann Special

Posted Image

Sid Taylor in the TS Spl.

Posted Image

#2588 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:14

Thanks for the scanning suggestions. I've tried resizing on the Image Shack panel but obviously some other issue. Will persist.

Re Bedmore, we have the Bill Jolly disc assemblies with the car. Apparently when Ray Finch resurrected it, there were issues re the fitment of the original discs and issue of log book and later COD in Group K period as it stood then. With revisions to Categories, it is feasible to refit the discs and re-log the car in Group L but yet to be attempted...and car is also offered for sale as other projects beckon.

Re the 1958 Albert Park shot, I've also unearthed the AMS report and David Shaw's view is supported. Incidentally Jim Goldfinch ran the 100S in that race but was black-flagged for a detached exhaust system. He wired it up but was refused re-entry to the fray.

More pix to come. Work now beckons. Great WA shots too Terry.

Parky

#2589 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:44

Thanks for the scanning suggestions. I've tried resizing on the Image Shack panel but obviously some other issue. Will persist.

Re Bedmore, we have the Bill Jolly disc assemblies with the car. Apparently when Ray Finch resurrected it, there were issues re the fitment of the original discs and issue of log book and later COD in Group K period as it stood then. With revisions to Categories, it is feasible to refit the discs and re-log the car in Group L but yet to be attempted...and car is also offered for sale as other projects beckon.

Re the 1958 Albert Park shot, I've also unearthed the AMS report and David Shaw's view is supported. Incidentally Jim Goldfinch ran the 100S in that race but was black-flagged for a detached exhaust system. He wired it up but was refused re-entry to the fray.

More pix to come. Work now beckons.

Parky

#2590 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:01

Here's a pic of the HRG Holden in a later life in 1988. Originally it was one of a batch of HRG's brought to Australia in chassis form and was bought by Greg McEwin of SA who had this attracive alloy body built on it.
It then passed to Jack O'Dea of Melbourne who fitted the Holden motor and raced it several times, Next stop was WA as in the above pic.

It then found its way to Queensland where it was raced as the Godfrey Special at Lowood etc and was soon fitted with a Buchanan body to race in the sports car category. Without looking up my records I can't recall where the Buchanan bodied Holden powered sports car ended up.

Meanwhile I bought a project in 1988 known as the Lancia Ford, fitted with a SV Ford V8 engine and Lancia running gear I thought it had the makings of a good Group K car but initially I couldn't work out the origins of the body which was obviously very well made but tired. Neville Webb provided the clue and directed me to a book with a pic of the HRG Holden and--viola ! I proceeded to complete the car as the Lancia Ford but with the HRG Holden's body and with a Lancia type nose raPosted Image
Posted Imagecing it for several years until selling it to Frank Moore about 12 years ago.

#2591 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:02

Oops, still need to refine my posting of pics but bear with me, I'll master it !

#2592 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:49

Don't know what you did there, Dick, but it wasn't a big success!

Posted Image

#2593 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:39

I was trying to post a pic of Greg McEwin and the HRG in its original Singer powered format. Because my previous pics were too small I thought I would enlarge this one a bit, obviously overdid it ! Then I thought I had deleted the post but the pic still came through, morerefinement needed, I'll try again.

I found that the HRG/Holden/Buchanan is now in the UK, does anyone over there know of it ?

#2594 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:47

Greg McEwen again, even in these early days the HRG is a bit tatty around the nose.

http://img340.images...gmcewinfi6.jpg" target="_blank">http://img340.images...ewinfi6.th.jpg" border="0" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" />

http://img604.images...gmcewinfi6.jpg" title="QuickPost">http://imageshack.us...mg/butansn.png" alt="QuickPost" border="0"> Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

#2595 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 261 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:00

Posted Image

Dick; as you know, I live close to you (on a clear day I can see Dick Willis :) ).

In the interests of getting your myriad wonderful photos "out there", I'd be happy to spend a few minutes with you explaining the ins-&-outs of photo-posting. It will cost you a coffee.

'Phone me if you like.

#2596 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:36

I think I've got it !

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2597 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:02

Greg and the HRG tail out at Collingrove.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2598 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:49

That looks like it was taken in the days when the machine gun noise was still echoing from the surrounding hills...

What year is it, Dick?

#2599 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 22:23

Is iy my imagination or does Collingrove look wider then than now. I have been an occasional competitor there for over 30 years and it is so narrow!

Advertisement

#2600 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:48

The Holden-HRG under Don Reimann's ownership. That's Don Reimann on the right, Don Hall on the left.

Posted Image