Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#2751 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:53

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dick Willis
[B]Bathurst, Easter 1956, plenty of admirers of this Jaguar engined special, Jack Robinson's on its arrival at Bathurst. One young hopeful already at the wheel, wonder if he ever got to fulfil his dreams and drive a racing car.

Dick, I think I've spotted a familiar face strolling by in that shot. Could you bring the original to the TR2 so I can inspect closer? KB

Advertisement

#2752 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:06

Will do Kevin.

Two years earlier at Bathurst, the Robinson Jaguar with a different nose to the 1956 pic above, climbing the mount in company with Clement's ugly Ford V8 Special.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2753 ken devine

ken devine

• 743 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:36

Another piece of Australian motorsport history lost. The Briggs collection EX Barret ex Anderson Alta has
been sold to overseas interests i think Italy.Iam just preparing some photos to send to them.

#2754 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:17

One for the sedan car set, Middle Ridge street circuit at Toowoomba, Qld, 1958. Don't know who is in the Customline but Ron Hodgson is in the Zephyr beside it and Lou Kingsley in the Repco headed FE behind.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2755 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 677 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:04

Got the grid packed nice and close those days!
Lou Kingsley visited NZ in 1960, racing at all of the summer series events.
Other than Pat Waddick he must have been one of the first OZ sedan drivers to appear in NZ.

#2756 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:44

Who's Pat Waddick?

#2757 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:54

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher
Got the grid packed nice and close those days!

If you'd been to Middle Ridge you'd understand.... the road was so narrow!

#2758 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:01

I had a guided tour around the ex circuit about 20 years ago by a well known local resident and yes, even then 30 years after it was raced on it was very narrow. Pic of the ill fated Sabakat/Lotus 12, sorry its a bit hazy but it does show the cars distinctive colour scheme.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2759 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 00:15

I saw some mention of early Porsches on the Dawson Damer thread which is really getting away from the original subject of that thread. Here is Ern tadgell again, this time driving Norm Hamilton's Spyder at Lowood in 1957, three years before his inferno with the Sabakat in the previous post.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2760 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 00:23

Rear view, can this Formula Vee with a body really be worth more than a Lotus 25 ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2761 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 15:47

Well said... not even a 'proper' Vee! :rolleyes:

#2762 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:25

Longford Various

Posted Image
Brabham Longford 1966 Frid practice

Posted Image
G Hill Winner Longford 64

Posted Image
Tas only Div 2 Tourers 1965

Posted Image
Longford 1965 Tourers Start...A modified Le Mans start was used where drivers were in the cars and mechanics raced the keys across the road at flagfall. Some can be seen near the cars.

Posted Image
Longford 1965 Sports Cars Startline

Posted Image
Longford 1964 Hill giving Brabham a lift back to pits at race end.

Posted Image
Longford 1966 GP Start

Posted Image
G Hill Longford 1966 Frid Practice

Posted Image
Longford 1965 Tourers Just after start.

Posted Image
Longford 1965 Rocky Tressise Accident site. The unlucky photographer who was also killed was standing near the fence straining post to RHS of running person.

#2763 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:31

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ellis French

Posted Image
J Stewart Longford 1966 Frid Practice

Graham Hill .......not

#2764 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:31

Obviously ...I'll fix it ......Thanks

#2765 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:22

Great stuff, Ellis... I hadn't expected to see a slide of the Tresise/D'Abrera scene, though I have seen the last photo he ever took...

The '65 Sports Car start... that's Ralph Sach just getting away quicker than Spencer Martin, but the cars behind... looks like Frank Demuth in the Lola? Do you have a programme?

The white ants got mine! Oh, and '66 wasn't a GP.

#2766 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 22:43

Ray
I'll see if I can get a copy of the 65 entrants.
Heres a few more old Longfords

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
1966 results from 67 programme

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bill Burns...did it near end of Flying Mile...Its on film Longweekend at Longford...1964

Posted Image
Noel Hurd Elfin 400 .This Tas owned car is in Launceston Tas Museum currently...no engine

Posted Image

Posted Image
Longbridge

Posted Image
Jags over railway line Tannery Straight

Posted Image
Down into viaduct

Posted Image
Out of Viaduct heading for Pub Corner

#2767 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:23

Longford 1965 Sports car Entrants
Posted Image

Longford 66 Racing Car Scratch Race...Entrants
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2768 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:40

Noel Hurd Elfin 400...Chassis No1

Posted Image
This is at Calder in August 1966...I think from memory its debut meeting

Posted Image

Posted Image
As is today in Launceston Motor Museum

Although it is Chassis No.1 it was completed 2nd as Bob Janes jumped the que.
A pic of it at Longford damaged on the trailer is in the previous post

#2769 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:34

Congratulations, Ellis...

You've posted the oldest colour pics ever seen on this forum of Longford!

They would be 1960, wouldn't they? Or maybe '61? There's plenty here from '65 and so on, but nothing that old before.

#2770 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:28

Tasmanian long time race car owner Don Elliott.....Repco Holden Monoposto...
Late 50's early 60's

Posted Image
At Trevallyn Hillclimb Tas

Posted Image
Domain Hillclimb Hobart (from a hand coloured Photograph)

Posted Image
Baskerville Tas

Posted Image
For sale

Posted Image
Under resto in 2006

#2771 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 158 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:30

Geat Longford pictures. The ones from the viaduct from 1960 with the Coopers of Brabham Stillwell Patterson Mildren Miller etc and Glass in the 250F, the only visit I made there.
I thought the Matich car was the first Elfin 400 or am I wrong ?

#2772 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:05

Of course it was, John... first laid down, I have no doubt, first finished for a certainty...

But it wasn't known as an Elfin for some reason.

#2773 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:08

Originally posted by Ellis French
Longford 1965 Sports car Entrants
Posted Image

That confirms it's Frank Demuth in the Lola taking off behind Ralph Sach in this pic:

Posted Image

And that would be Les Howard in the Lotus 23 beside him.

#2774 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:30

I was just looking at the picture of the Elfin 400 Dash Board taken by Ellis at the Launceston Museum, and I notice that there is a 1990 CAMS sticker near the cut off switch...... I'm just wondering when the car had its last run, and in what form.... does anybody know?

I'd love to see a group of the big banger sports cars have a run somewhere....

#2775 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:03

:wave:

Great pics Ellis.......Thanks

#2776 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:51

Leo D ..Quote ".... I'm just wondering when the car had its last run, and in what form.... does anybody know?

Leo
ex Hurd Elfin 400
I'll ring the owner and find out for you. It still had a 289 Ford V8 but not the original Globe twin cam version .... from memory.

He also had a couple of interesting sports cars prior to this one....
(a) ex Lou Molina Monza (Painted Black at the time) Damaged in a trailer accident and also a fire)
(b) Yellow Lola 1100 cc (May have been the ex Frank Demuth car?) ...(very pretty car and may still hold U 1100 cc records at Baskerville)
It was raced at Longford in 1968 .

Ellis

Edit
The car was returned to Elfin for a partial rebuild/chassis tidy then ran for the last time at Adelaide GP meeting in about 1990 (that would be the 1990 sticker) in an historic sportscar event. The motor blew (was still the Globe Quad cam 289) and on inspection was found to be terminal. It hasnt been used since.

Ellis

#2777 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:37

Yes, the yellow Lola was the Frank Demuth car...

It came here originally with David McKay, I think Greg Cusack may have driven it once or twice, but I'm not sure. Then it was sold to Johnny Martin, who made it famous with his efforts to cling to the back of 1500cc Lotus 23s before selling it to Demuth.

When Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B, it went to the Geoghegans as a trade. Pete drove it at a Warwick Farm meeting (February 1966) with wider wheels and guards stretched out over them. In fact, I think that in practice the rear bodywork was missing as it was unfinished. He really stirred up that little car, which was then the lemony yellow that it wore when they sold it to Tassie.

#2778 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:00

I'm always interested in any Elfin 400 information Ellis. I remember seeing the Bob Jane 400 at Calder and Sandown..... and then following it for a while when Ken Hastings had it.

The original car that Frank Matich had that subsequently went on to Niel Allen was another favourite....

Then there was the Matich SR3.... the Matich SR4..... Niel Allens return volley on that, the Elfin ME5..

The Bob Jane McLaren 6b Repco....

The Lionel Ayres MRC.......

Maybe if I can list enough cars, someone might come up with running a demo for them at future historic meeting :cool:
Posted Image

#2779 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 21:56

Leo D...Quote "I'm always interested in any Elfin 400 information Ellis. I remember seeing the Bob Jane 400 at Calder and Sandown"

I was at the Bob Jane workshop when the transporter bought his 400 in new. Bob jumped up onto the tray and into it and attempted to start it........ the inlet trumpets were still covered/plugged.
They then got it ready after extracting the plugs etc and he started it and left 2 black strips down the workshop floor...It was reloaded onto his setup and taken straight out to Calder...I'm think this was on the friday before race weekend.

Ellis

Advertisement

#2780 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 22:04

Quote Ray "When Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B, it went to the Geoghegans as a trade. Pete drove it at a Warwick Farm meeting (February 1966) with wider wheels and guards stretched out over them. In fact, I think that in practice the rear bodywork was missing as it was unfinished. He really stirred up that little car, which was then the lemony yellow that it wore when they sold it to Tassie."

Ray
There is a nice pic of it in march 1968 on a damp track at Longford being unlapped by the P4 Ferrari which had a flat batt on start line and lost a lap or 2.
Its a David Bantoft pic. on motorsportarchive.com

Ellis

#2781 Tony Parkinson

Tony Parkinson

• 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:10

Ellis, wonderful Longford imagery.

Just wondering if you may have anything on the Repco Ricardian which John Newmarch took to Trevallyn hillclimb on February 4th 1962 for an FTD and 1st in 38.12 sec and ran (assume a week later) at Baskerville in the Jim Barrie Memorial event?

Normally raced in SA and occasionally Victoria, the Tasmanian sortee coincided with the Newmarch's honeymoon - which I think mirrors what Garrie Cooper did to Lorraine if I recall correctly.

TonyRepco Ricardian

#2782 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 436 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 20:45

Tony

Sorry. Have no pics of car at either meeting.
I may be able to get a scan of the old Baskerville prog if you havnt got one.
PM me if interested.
I live about 2 k's from the old Trevallyn site on the access road to it.

Jim Barrie.....
Rolled his Barrie Zephyr Special at the Domain Hillclimb in Hobart and was fatally injured in 1960 or maybe 61.
I was at the event. The car was sold and repaired and raced on over the years by others and I think it still exists.

Ellis

#2783 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:42

I reckon I have the trophy at home for the trevallyn Hill climb FTD at home on the wall for 1960 or 1961. Presented to Aussie Miller

#2784 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:54

Welcome Guy... it's about time another son of a famous father arrived...

That is assuming, of course, that you're the son. Or grandson?

#2785 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 20:57

Thanks Ray. Yes I am Aussie's son and I did make a mistake when indicating the year of the Trevallyn Hill climb trophy. The trophy was for March 1959. I had a look last night.

#2786 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:04

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eldougo
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ellis French

Posted Image
J Stewart Longford 1966 Frid Practice

Graham Hill .......not
[/QUOTE]

So what is the story here then? With that number and the London Rowing Club colours on the helmet, I too would have thought it Graham.

#2787 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,732 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:49

Yes, it's Graham Hill...

Ellis made an error and eldougo corrected him. Ellis then edited his post.

#2788 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 15:43

Bumping it up as there seems to be a number of new TNFers who may not have seen this thread.
Roger Lund

#2789 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 20:15

Originally posted by Guy Miller
Thanks Ray. Yes I am Aussie's son and I did make a mistake when indicating the year of the Trevallyn Hill climb trophy. The trophy was for March 1959. I had a look last night.

Guy,

You might be interested in another thread "Australia's Forgotten drivers those who deserve better" where I nominated your father as one of our drivers who deserves more recognition. Would be great if you have any pictures, memories you could contribute.

Also, there is a photgraph of your father on the Scarab thread (Chuck Daigh connection Sandown 1962) where he is pictured with Moss, Clark etc and Australia's finest.

I had a chat with Austin Miller at Eastern Creek historics around the turn of the century where he was running a 2.5 Brabham (ex-1964 AGP winner?) - I dont know who the driver was - maybe it was his son!

I must say I found him to be a very friendly and polite. We chatted about the old days at Phillip Island where he had some pretty fierce battles with Patterson and Stillwell - all three being in the then-current T51 Coopers.

Derek

#2790 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 22:04

Hi Derek

Yes I was driving at Eastern Creek in 2000. I took my father up there and the stewards and organizers allowed him to do a lap in one of the stewards cars which he enjoyed.
I do have a few photos but most are hard copies. I will post the ones that I have on computer file when I find out how to do it. Ellis French has asked me around to his place to show me but I have been busy at work and not able to get there as yet.

Guy

#2791 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 21:23

Originally posted by Guy Miller
Hi Derek

Yes I was driving at Eastern Creek in 2000. I took my father up there and the stewards and organizers allowed him to do a lap in one of the stewards cars which he enjoyed.
I do have a few photos but most are hard copies. I will post the ones that I have on computer file when I find out how to do it. Ellis French has asked me around to his place to show me but I have been busy at work and not able to get there as yet.

Guy

Hi Guy,

How are the Austin Miller pictures coming along?

Waiting with anticipation

Derek

#2792 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 23:50

Hi Derek

Have not caught up with Ellis yet but did try today but he may be away. He was going to show me how to add the photos to the website. I have had a go at it but did not work

Best Regards

Guy

#2793 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:56

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your reply - I am sure loads of us TNF'ers are keen to see some hither-to unseen pics of your dad in action in the Miller Special and the T51 Cooper.

In the meantime, I wonder if you might be able resolve an issue which has "troubled" me for nearly half a century!

In October 1960 your dad comprehensively "blew up" the Cooper's special 2.4 litre Climax engine at Bathurst whilst pursuing Bill Patterson and of course, the leader Jack Brabham. However, I recall seeing him at Templestowe not long after, in the Cooper, in the wet, spinning the wheels all the way up the "wall" in a hair-raisng fashion, which made me wonder if the 2.4 , which i assumed was a worked-over version of the original 2.2 litre engine, had been repaired.

I can't recall if your dad was at Ballarat in early 1961 for the International and for that matter, I cant recall seeing the Cooper at all in 1961, except for the Warwick farm International which was run in searing heat. I have always assumed this was because this was about this time that the corvette engine was installed for the Land Speed record attempt.

So my question is, following the October 1960 Bathurst engine destruction, did the Cooper ever race again as a Cooper Climax and if so, when and where and what capacity engine did it use?

Sorry to be long-winded, but these things are important to us old people !

Derek

#2794 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:30

Posted Image

Is this the car in question? Bend '57.

#2795 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:52

No Sandy,

That is the Miller Special ,which was a 1956 Formula 2 1500cc Cooper Climax disguised as a local special to avoid the tax man.

The car I am referring to was Austin Miller's 1959 T51 GP Cooper Climax....2.2 to 2.4 litre capacity.

Lovely pic though.

Derek

#2796 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 21:36

Hi Derek

Exactly right the picture is the formula 2 car the miller special.
In relation to your other questions.
I don't remember the cooper climax blowing up at Bathurst. In fact in the 1960 Bathurst 100 Aussie was running 3rd when he started to loose brakes. He left the circuit and rejoined but finished in 6th place.
He did run at the International meeting in 1961 at Warwick Farm where he again was running 3rd and he had trouble completing the race due to heat exhaustion and let Bib pass him to finish in 4th. In fact he was not able to make the pits after the finish line and collapsed on the side of the track.
The 2.2L climax engine was removed to fit the corvette engine some time in 1961 not sure exactly when. He broke the landspeed record in the corvette at Bakers Beach on the 20th Nov 1961 so obviously the engine was in the car at that time.
Have heard the sory on the 2.4L engine before but I believe there was never one fitted. A 2.2L engine was the engine removed to fit the corvette and that engine was still running and was sold seperately later on.

It would not have been real easy to quickly put another climax engine back in the car as there was a number of modifications done to the chasis to fit the corvette including lengthening the chasis by about 3 inches.

The car was sold with the corvette engine.

Don't remember who bought it but I have heard that the new owner may have reinstalled a climax engine. Not sure how big. I believe the new owner crashed the car after not having it for very long.

The only big engine blow up sitting in my mind is the one he had at Longford in Tasmania with the corvette engine fitted. Apparently it was a doozy.

Hope this helps and are my recollections. I'm sure that there are others in the group that have better memories than myself.

Guy

#2797 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:17

Hi Guy,

Thank you for clearing up an issue that has been perplexing me for so long.

I remember reading or hearing on the old ABC film of Bathurst October 1960, that "Austin Miller's Cooper expired in a big way after being driven on the rev limit for so long in its pusuit of Patterson" and thus have thought until now, that the car's engine was comprehensively damaged, but I now know this was not the case. It also explains how I saw your dad and the Cooper in full flight at Templestowe soon after Bathurst.

The motor racing reporting out of NSW was never good.

Yes the car was restored with, I think, the correct original 2.2 Climax and I saw it run at Sandown early 80's when owned by John Caffin and the Blandon book also suggests Aussie Miller actually drove it at PI Historics in the 70's. The car was also for a time, in the 80's, on display alongside the ex Moss/Walker T53 and the Lukey T43 in the Lukey Museum at Phillip Island and was still in its original yellow and white and carrying race number No 60.

Naturally, like nearly every other important racing car in this country, all those vehicles have now left our shores.

Thanks for your help Guy

Derek

#2798 cooper997

cooper997

• 762 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:36

This has been a massive thread to go through. But can I give a massive thanks to all those that have posted so many brilliant images on this thread. I don't really want to single anyone out as they've all been great covering so much of Australia's motor racing history. But I will anyway, the early colour shots from Kaydee and John Ellacott are just exceptional. And to find motor racing legend like Kevin Bartlett sharing his box brownies with us is very special. And those submitted by the likes of Terry Walker, Ken Devine, Dick Willis, Dale Harvey, plannerpower & Ray Bell deserve a special mention too. I think if Ray had not submitted so many anecdotes to the photos the thread would only be a mere 35 pages!! But he certainly knows his stuff (and if he was wrong David McKinney was hot on his heals anyway), that it made for some learned reading too. Well done guys. Know I need to get out more!

#2799 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:45

Referring to Tony Parkinson's request for pics of the Riccardian of John Newmarch, I have a shot of it (not great quality - speed blur)
at Baskerville in 1965 on the oldracephotos.com website if you're interested. Just type Newmarch into the Advanced Search on the Home page (search phrase) will bring it up.

Regards, ellrosso

Advertisement

#2800 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 13:20

I don't know if you have seen this photo Guy, but the State Library of Victoria have a couple of photos of your dad's Cooper including one when it wore the canopy for the record run, and this one with the Corvette engine:
http://www.slv.vic.g.../pi001227.shtml