Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#2851 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:08

A few slides of Piers Courage during the Tasman days.

How evocative is the background - The BP truck, KB's BT11A and the 'Uncle Arthur' character.
Posted Image

Sorry, a bit out of focus.
Posted Image

In Frank William's Brabham-Ford BT24
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2852 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 13:04

When did anyone last see a sign saying "No smoking please"? :lol:

#2853 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 20:56

IMO better times the that of today, the word freedom comes to mind. :up:

#2854 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 685 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:16

Originally posted by Lola5000
I was just hopping he was ok.

I did not know who Stan Patterson was until he identified himself via his boss who does most of our civil engineering.
He had not been in the best of health but seemed to be be going OK prior to Christmas when I spoke to him last.
Stan told me that he was excommunicated from TNF after many warnings.
On reading some of his posts I think that our leader did the correct thing - but Stan will no doubt think it was a US conspiracy.

...............and back on topic - great photos of porridge

#2855 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:13

I have been asked by an acquaintance to find if anybody has photos or racing history on the former
Ron Edgerton Straight 8 Ballot.He is willing to pay for photos. The car is in France.

#2856 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:48

Have you seen Jim Gullan's book, "as long as it has wheels"

#2857 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:55

I have not seen that Dick,where is it available?

#2858 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:19

It was self published by Jim in 1993, probably now out of print and I think Jim is no longer with us. It has a chapter on the 1919 Ballot, as opposed to the Ballot Olds which also has a chapter. Sounds like a job for the second hand bookshops etc.

#2859 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:16

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher

I did not know who Stan Patterson was until he identified himself via his boss who does most of our civil engineering.
He had not been in the best of health but seemed to be be going OK prior to Christmas when I spoke to him last.
Stan told me that he was excommunicated from TNF after many warnings.
On reading some of his posts I think that our leader did the correct thing - but Stan will no doubt think it was a US conspiracy.

...............and back on topic - great photos of porridge

oh I miss his comments.
Some of the forums are well ran like a public school.
Recon if I behaved on here like Ferrari chat line ,I would last about 5 replys/posts.

Advertisement

#2860 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 16:03

I, too, miss him. :( Banishment is a little harsh, methinks, but then again I've been warned, too. Maybe it's just that my standards are not right... or am towing the wrong party line?;) :rolleyes:

#2861 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 22:52

Originally posted by fines
I, too, miss him. :( Banishment is a little harsh, methinks, but then again I've been warned, too. Maybe it's just that my standards are not right... or am towing the wrong party line?;) :rolleyes:

IMO You just move onto another forum.

#2862 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:18

Originally posted by ken devine
I have been asked by an acquaintance to find if anybody has photos or racing history on the former
Ron Edgerton Straight 8 Ballot.He is willing to pay for photos. The car is in France.

In brief, the car came to Australia in the Maroubra Speedway era... owned by a family with wealth from coal mining, IIRC. By the late thirties it was more or less very tired, had thrown a couple of rods at times and needed TLC. Ron related the story at a meeting at the ARDC Clubrooms at Leichhardt once about climbing over the fence at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corp's factory in Melbourne to get some tricky work done on the block.

However, by Lobethal in 1940 it was in Jim Gullan's hands (there's a pic of it in an issue of Motor Sport a couple of months after this meeting along with a letter about the meeting from Gullan) and was fitted with a Ford V8 engine.

It went missing at some time, probably immediately post-war, and Ron found it by chance when chasing up a supposed collection of motorcycles in Southern New South Wales. He told how he went onto this farm and saw a Rudge Whitworth hub nut sticking out from some hay... paring back the hay he found the Ballot and sat there until someone came home so he could buy it.

He must have either known where the original engine was and knew it was unusable... or it might have been scrapped previously. Discussing the prospect of buying the only other available engine in the world from Briggs Cunningham with a friend Jumbo Goddard at his Grenfell property, the friend told that he had a letter from Jumbo that week. Checking the letter, they found that Jumbo was due at Cunningham's California home more or less at that exact moment.

They set about phoning, something Ron related as being difficult through the Grenfell exchange, and Briggs himself answered... though he didn't say he was... they simply asked if Jumbo was there. "No, not yet... hold on, there's a cab in the driveway..."

And so Jumbo introduced Ron to Briggs and brokered a deal. Briggs, it seemed, didn't have an early Cotton Desgouttes (sp?) and Ron had two. A blown up engine from one of the other cars thence made its way to Ron.

I saw the engine during the build. Ron used rods out of an Oldsmobile, if I remember correctly. He made a whole new crankshaft, which was turned up in four parts if I recall, this task taking him... he told me... a thousand hours. There were patches in the block and Ron had side plates cast with his name on them where the originals had been damaged.

He altered the oiling system, IIRC, and there was some sort of oil display on the dash involving little glass tubes that he changed or couldn't duplicate. He used parts foreign to the Ballot in the build, I think there was a Rolls-Royce front axle involved. But he did make the car go again... he used it and loved it as his own for about seven years then sold it to France.

Had his cake and ate it too, I would think. Ron, I believe, felt that car was a part of him.

#2863 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:20

Originally posted by Dick Willis
It was self published by Jim in 1993, probably now out of print and I think Jim is no longer with us. It has a chapter on the 1919 Ballot, as opposed to the Ballot Olds which also has a chapter. Sounds like a job for the second hand bookshops etc.

The print run for Jim's book was just 100 copies, John Cummins told me...

He loaned me his copy several years ago and a while after I returned it he asked me if I still had it. He's loaned it to someone again and not got it back... or that was the situation when I last broached the subject with him.

Jim has indeed left the building.

#2864 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 23:20

Thanks Ray that is a great bit of information.Did the rebuilt engine go with the car when it was sold?

#2865 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 20:44

Yes it did...

I would believe that the car went back to France just as Ron rebuilt it.

#2866 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 00:39

Lola Mk5 FJ, David Fletcher Calder 1963

Posted Image

Photo Copyright Denis Lupton.

#2867 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:20

Great photo of a car with a lot of potential that ran only very briefly here. :up:

#2868 Denis Lupton

Denis Lupton

• 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:57

Guy
The Chev engine in your Dad's car was built by a real motorsport legend, Syd Fisher, who's been involved with racing car's since the year dot
Denis

#2869 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 21:04

1969 Devione LC2

Posted Image

Copyright Denis Lupton

#2870 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 21:47

Hi Denis

Syd Fisher is certainly an excellent engineer. I think from memory the engine came from a race boat called Mandy

Hope you are well

Regards

Guy

#2871 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 22:37

The boys at speed

Posted Image

#2872 IanRM

IanRM

• 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 23:32

While on holiday in Tasmania in January we stayed at the Longford caravan park - upon arrival the lady in the office showed me some brochures of the area plus a program from a race meeting - see photo below (I hope).
She said that some time ago one of the locals found a box full of old programs, which the Tourist Information Centre started to sell at a nominal cost. When it was discovered that they were being on-sold at considerably more than a nominal cost the practice came to a stop!
I have a few other pages, also shots of various parts of the track - if this picture works I will post them up if any-one is interested.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2873 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 21:24

Davo's team at Calder,1964.
Ecurie Australie, BT4, Cooper, and Alan Ashton's Mainline Ute
"The BT4 was first Jack's works mount, then Denny's works car, won AGP and Tasman champs, then to Davo, this is his first run in the car at Calder, still in factory colours, after this meeting painted Davo's red, the same as the Coop"
Posted Image

Copyright, Denis Lupton Collection.

#2874 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:45

Originally posted by Anthony Harradine
Posted Image

Hello All,

I posted this photo sometime ago and only Saturday past was able to ID some of the characters in it. It might be of interest to those in South Australia. Standing at the very back is George Mayne. He was a mechanic/machinist at Southcotts in Adelaide and was employed to work on the Dunstan Rotary Valve project. Far right is a very young Clem Smith. The driver I am assuming is Murray Trenberth. Still working on the tall man in white overalls, but I think I will be able to positively ID him very shortly (and the driver too). We are now 99% sure that this was taken when the Alta was fitted with the Dunstan engine (which it did for a very short time - one weekend). The evidence being the number of pipes exiting the engine and the lack of protruding webers on the other side, which it ran shortly after when fitted with a Repco headed grey-motor.

#2875 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,243 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:58

Originally posted by Anthony Harradine
Hello All,

I posted this photo sometime ago and only Saturday past was able to ID some of the characters in it. It might be of interest to those in South Australia. Standing at the very back is George Mayne. He was a mechanic/machinist at Southcotts in Adelaide and was employed to work on the Dunstan Rotary Valve project. Far right is a very young Clem Smith. The driver I am assuming is Murray Trenberth. Still working on the tall man in white overalls, but I think I will be able to positively ID him very shortly (and the driver too). We are now 99% sure that this was taken when the Alta was fitted with the Dunstan engine (which it did for a very short time - one weekend). The evidence being the number of pipes exiting the engine and the lack of protruding webers on the other side, which it ran shortly after when fitted with a Repco headed grey-motor.

Not to mention the fella standing on one leg in the background...he looks to be extremely tall!

#2876 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:59

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Not to mention the fella standing on one leg in the background...he looks to be extremely tall!

Ah, that is Derek Jolly.

#2877 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:12

[i]Originally posted by Anthony Harradine Ah, that is Derek Jolly. [/B]

Wondered who it was, thought it possibly Jolly, as he is next to an 11, I think.
Roger Lund

#2878 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:13

This is the Alta with the Repco Holden as driven by Jack Ayres in the support races at the 1962 AGP.

RL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#2879 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:18

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ken devine
[B]This is the Alta with the Repco Holden as driven by Jack Ayres in the support races at the 1962 AGP.

Ken,

Do you have a photo of the other side, hopefully showing some protruding webers?

Advertisement

#2880 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:26

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Superb colour pic of Rockford in the Repco Alta c 1964. carbs this side, exhaust the other = repco holden engine. Picture by Milton McCutcheon.

Posted Image

Ah there are some carbs protruding - SUs at that point.

#2881 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 22:49

This pic.in 59 with Trenbath driving shows the SUs.

URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#2882 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 23:06

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ken devine
[B]This pic.in 59 with Trenbath driving shows the SUs.

Many thanks Ken.

Maybe it always ran SUs with the Repco, maybe I misheard.

On Murray's surname, it is Trenberth not Trenbath. He is still going strong.

#2883 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,262 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:35

My understanding of Repco engines is that the standard set up was with twin 1 3/4? SUs which can be used with the standard distributor underneath. Triple carb/ injected engines had to have the dissy/ magneto with a 90 deg adaptor under the intake.
I suspect that the twin SU engine may be more driveable too, more suited for circuit racing wheras most speedway engines were injected and used a smaller powerband.

#2884 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 14:46

Strange that this had dropped down onto page 4. Newcomers will miss all the history
Roger Lund

#2885 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 15:25

My sister's married name is Trenberth (no relation). She is always amazed when anyone spells it right, having had at least five wrong versions so far, with Trembath the most popular.

OTing a touch, I once filled in a lot of application forms for a big financial contract (mortgage or the like) with my full name, which is Terry Walker. In due course the Big Financial Institution presented the nicely typed up contact in the name of Terence Walker. Amazingly, the woofle-headed salesperson couldn't grasp why I wouldn't sign a contract made out for some other person.

I was also a touch pissed off by the Big Financial Institution's assumption that I didn't know my own name.

#2886 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 22:46

A few more Longford pics from the old slide box

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2887 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 22:57

And a few more....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2888 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:13

And a few more.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2889 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:16

and the last for this session....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2890 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:25

Great photos! :clap: The first photo from 1967 is interesting, as the BT24 Brabham (which is nearly identical to the BT23A that Jack is seen driving here) has always been regarded as a small car, but it seems to have the longest wheelbase of the 3.

I suspect that must be the purple Paramount Ford of Kerry Cox too.

#2891 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:07

great shot of the 250LM
wonder whom is driving the blue Ford Cusso ,Goss?
what Mustang is it?

#2892 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:23

wonder whom is driving the blue Ford Cusso ,Goss?
what Mustang is it?

Ray Allford in Cusso
Robin Pare in Don Elliot Mustang

#2893 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:25

I suspect that must be the purple Paramount Ford of Kerry Cox too.

Allan Ling in Lotus S7 (ex Geoghegan)
Kerry Cox Paramount Jag...aka..Purple Petrol Eater

#2894 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:25

Wonderful to see more colour from the 60s and 70s coming through.

#2895 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,262 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:46

There is some very mixed fields there in the support? races. An MGA with sports racers and a Cortina?
An AP5, Minis, Cortinas, Anglias, Earlys, Moggy Minor and a Bellet. I hope not The Kombi !
And an EH vs Mustang and Leadsled.

#2896 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:06

So is the Anglia Pare or ex-Pare? Also, who's in the AP5?

The start shot with the Mustang, Alfa and Lotus Cortina (trying hard to ignore Carosi in the Jag...) is Pete, KB and Moffat in 1966, I've previously posted pics of their dice.

And is that the RM1 being pushed over the line? I also wonder if that's me standing behind Matich's car, but I can't confirm anything there. Probably not as there's no camera.

I particularly like the King's Bridge shot, it seems to be from a much earlier time than the others. Maybe 1959?

#2897 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:30

So is the Anglia Pare or ex-Pare? Also, who's in the AP5?

Pare in Elliots Anglia Super
Dennis Button in the Valiant

The old Longbridge shot is probably 59. This slide was found on the tip.

Yes..I have Mitchell as caption on slide of pushing car across line altho I dont recall taking the pic.

The No25 Lotus crossing finnish line is Moffat in 65,
Moffat in one of the races started from rear of grid and asked the starter (Noel Windsor) to move the starting drum back closer to edge of track as he wanted to go to the outside the yellow line at the start. His request was denied.

#2898 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,352 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:07

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ellis French
[B]And a few more....
Thanks Ellis.

Posted Image

A young Roy Billington refueling the Brabham.He was such a nice person.

#2899 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:24

Originally posted by Ellis French
Pare in Elliott's Anglia Super
Dennis Button in the Valiant.....

Thanks, Ellis... however:

.....The old Longbridge shot is probably '59. This slide was found on the tip.....

Quite a find... but it's not the Long Bridge. Definitely the King's Bridge. Is the slide dated?

.....The No25 Lotus crossing finish line is Moffat in 65,
Moffat in one of the races started from rear of grid and asked the starter (Noel Windsor) to move the starting drum back closer to edge of track as he wanted to go to the outside the yellow line at the start. His request was denied.

Yeah, typical of Allan. Again, though, the year was '66. Moffat didn't turn the Lotus Cortina out in Australia until late '65, that GTA wasn't here yet either. And Jane still owned the Jag that Carosi bought a while later.

Advertisement

#2900 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,243 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:40

Originally posted by David Shaw
Great photos! :clap:

Possibly the greatest Aussie thread on AtlasF1...thank you very much Ellis, this is fascinating stuff :up: :up: