Jump to content


Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s


  • Please log in to reply
8962 replies to this topic

#2951 David Shaw

David Shaw
  • Member

  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:41

His 1955 model GJL432. After the rollover he had it rebuilt with trim and grille from a 1956 model, and it was resprayed in red and white. This was the car that was then sold to Owen Bailey, which had a starring role with Norm Beechey's model at Albert Park, which ended in tears against a power pole.

Advertisement

#2952 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:52

I think Lola5000's heard of Owen Bailey :)

#2953 David Shaw

David Shaw
  • Member

  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:07

Yes, certainly more than any of us. I had forgotten who I was addressing the answer to.

#2954 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:12

Customline production went beyond 1958...

The 'Star' model came out in '58 and I'm sure they were still selling them in 1960. Fairlanes came in in either '58 or '59, but the Customlines continued. Probably until the Falcon took up production facilities late in 1960.

Similar circumstances to the Chrysler setup. Custom Royals and Belvederes were built alongside Chrysler Royals, with Phoenixes supplanting the first two in 1960. The Royals were a low price car compared to the Phoenix, as the Customline was compared to the Fairlane.

Royals were still being sold in 1963, but most likely only cars that were stockpiled when they swung the plant over to turn out Valiants in 1962.

#2955 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:02

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
For the first time in 17 years I could not raise the enthusiasm to make the pilgrimage to Phillip Island.

The efforts of VHRR to promote the narrow commercial interests of touring car racing has destroyed the essiential fibre of historic racing.

Instead we are told to be content with this garbage:

Dick Johnson Racing went from the "outhouse to the penthouse" on Sunday with Ford young gun Will Davison claiming his maiden V8 Supercar championship round victory at Sydney's Eastern Creek.

Courtney was in the wars again in race three when Holden's Paul "The Dude" Morris believed he'd been shunted out of the race.

It appeared Fabian Coulthard pushed Courtney into Morris, causing a chain reaction and a number of mid-field cars to spin out of control.

"(Courtney) picked the wrong bloke to mess with, so he'll keep," said Morris, who was voted by his peers as the dirtiest V8 Supercar driver in a magazine poll last year.

"I'll just keep it in the back of my head and one day when the opportunity arises I'll return the favour, no problems."


Do Australian's now accept this moronic drivel as anything more than the corrupt media inspired nonsense that it is, and as a result, do we now salivate over over-engined taxi cabs, as we search for symbols of our motor racing heritage?

To see the name Davison degraded in this way is unspeakably offensive to older Australians and quite frankly, brings shame upon us all.

I am not sure of the exact quote, but it goes along the lines of........"When good men do nothing, it is time to worry"

When will some Australians stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!


Stan

Stan are you the same Patterson that had a boat at the ST Kilda marina?

#2956 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:15

I believe the name is a mixture of Stan Jones' and Bill Patterson's names... it's certainly not the real name of the poster...

'Stan Patterson' has been banned from this board some time ago. I think it would be nice if he came back, even nicer if he came back and behaved himself.

#2957 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:26

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I believe the name is a mixture of Stan Jones' and Bill Patterson's names... it's certainly not the real name of the poster...

'Stan Patterson' has been banned from this board some time ago. I think it would be nice if he came back, even nicer if he came back and behaved himself.

Oh,strange that you would put those 2 names togeither.
So the answer to my question is no.

#2958 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:40

I guess Bib Whiteford or Arnold Lukey would have given the game away :)

#2959 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:48

Originally posted by David McKinney
I guess Bib Whiteford or Arnold Lukey would have given the game away :)

good one,I'm trying to work out the current names,think I've got Pitt but lost with the 1st name.

Advertisement

#2960 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:51

You've forgotten Derek Jolly?

#2961 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:03

Originally posted by David McKinney
You've forgotten Derek Jolly?

spot on the Lotus driver.
Did you do a book on the 250F?

#2962 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:54

Rings a bell ;)

#2963 seldo

seldo
  • Member

  • 1,628 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 02 March 2009 - 16:33

Originally posted by ken devine
Len Lukey towed the Cooper Bristol in the trailer to WA in 1957 with the Customline then raced it.








RL=http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=humpies24copy.jpg]Posted Image[/URL]

Anyone else notice the Syd Anderson FJ?
I recall as a kid an article about the car in one of the magazines. You will note it has a custom grille and wire wheels and had all sorts of other mods which escape me at present. At the time it was a very special car!

#2964 David Shaw

David Shaw
  • Member

  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 02 March 2009 - 19:46

Yes definitely not the norm for a race humpy.

Bob Holden's blown 203 was rather special in its own way too.

#2965 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 20:47

Originally posted by David McKinney
Rings a bell ;)

good read,got it up stairs,its one of those books you go back to again an again.
Any others? :up:

#2966 2Bob

2Bob
  • Member

  • 407 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 02 March 2009 - 21:10

Bob Holden's blown 203 was rather special in its own way too.


Bob was racing in the Mini series (BMW Minis) late last year, a one off celeb drive I think? Can anyone (Ray?) give a potted (or longer?) history of Bob. I didn't remember the blown 203 (I should have done I had a 203 in 1963 on loan from my father while he was o'sea for 10 months). I think Bob had a Lynx Pug as well didn't he? The Lolita too. A light weight Mini at Symons Plains too. What else?

#2967 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle
  • Member

  • 6,140 posts
  • Joined: July 08

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:03

The FJ even has a sunvisor, the ultimate in aero devices!!
Bob Holden always seemed to race slightly alternative cars. With success

#2968 Ellis French

Ellis French
  • Member

  • 453 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:10

Bob Holden Mini's in Tas

Posted Image

#2969 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:22

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
.....Bob Holden always seemed to race slightly alternative cars. With success


Let's see if we can get some of it together...

Not sure what he first raced, but very early on he was given the Repco-owned FE that they used to do the Hi-Power head development on. He also raced an FJ with Repco head, probably the same one, and the 203 as well. He often travelled far and wide, as the WA pic shows.

Bob came from Melbourne and his first race, IIRC, was at the Wangaratta airstrip circuit.

Other cars he raced included a 403, he had the Lynx-Peugeot built for himself and raced that in Formula Junior form with a 203/403 hybrid motor sleeved down. That car was then fitted with an early (3-bearing) 404 engine and got supercharged, then it went to Colin Bond who really made a name in it.

Bob in the meantime raced an S4 Holden, but I think that was only once. Owned by a crippled bloke in Sydney (where he now lived), it was one of those cars that Bob raced because the owner wanted to see it on the track. And he got into Minis, I think his 1100cc Cooper S was BMC-supported, and as an adjunct to that he raced the Ian Pope Lolita.

At the same time he was rallying, Minis again, I think, then he got into Volvos for a London-Sydney and later a factory-built 504 which was to become the diesel powered car that Bob Watson and Roger Bonhomme shared in one of the world's all-time feats of endurance, running slowly at the back of the field in the '79 Repco Trial and finishing last of all who completed the whole course.

His workshop was in Killara... Killara Motor Garage... in those mid-to-late sixties days, then he moved to Pymble as Bob Holden Motors, again, IIRC. Later he went to Brookvale and his offsider kept the business in Pymble. It was very Peugeot-oriented all along... but Bob had got into Fords.

Escorts got a lot of attention. He worked with John Joyce at times in trying to make their suspensions better, and he fostered the young Lyndon Arnel for several years. There were twin cams, 2-litres and later I think they even ran a 1300.

Toyotas came next, I think. Corolla twin cams, rear wheel drive models, I don't think he had a FWD version at all. And BMW 318s.

I may have left something out there... his huge Escort crash at Warwick Farm when he went backwards into the pit fence was worse than you might have thought, he reckons that one took some surviving.

But Bob goes on. A great guy, now at Tinonee near Taree, still playing with cars, still an arch-enthusiast.

Anyone remember anything I've forgotten? Of course, the Bathurst events would probably have included other cars.

#2970 David Shaw

David Shaw
  • Member

  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 03 March 2009 - 00:10

The first record I have of him is in the 203 at Port Wakefield April 9, 1955.

On March 31st, 1956 I have him down as having the Pug supercharged for the first time, also at Port Wakefield.

On April 22nd, 1957 is the first instance I have of him in the 403, at the same venue.

Boxing Day 1957 records him at Phillip Island in the FE with the Repco developed engine. This wasn't actually Repco's car, that was a lighter coloured (pale green or blue?) FE Special reg. number GNH666, which was usually driven by Stan Jones or Charlie Dean, although I think I recall Harry having a run in it too.

Bob's FE was apparently a high-mileage ex-taxi that was black, a standard model with reg GSY307. The story I know is that he was told by Charlie (after Repco's management found out what they were doing with the development car on the weekends) that he could have all the running gear which they would develop for him, as long as he found his own car to put it in.

#2971 2Bob

2Bob
  • Member

  • 407 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 03 March 2009 - 00:39

Bob Holden Mini's in Tas


That would have been 66 67 or 68, I guess. I remember the two Minis, I would have been a time keeper at Symonds then.

Mustn't forget that Bob also teamed up with Rauno AAltonen for an outright win at Bathurst 1966 as well as class win and 5th outright in 67 (with Tony Fall).

#2972 Ellis French

Ellis French
  • Member

  • 453 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:12

Originally posted by 2Bob


That would have been 66 67 or 68, I guess. I remember the two Minis, I would have been a time keeper at Symonds then.

Mustn't forget that Bob also teamed up with Rauno AAltonen for an outright win at Bathurst 1966 as well as class win and 5th outright in 67 (with Tony Fall).



My slide is dated 67

#2973 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:16

Bob always recalls that Rauno was a great driver... he gives him every kudos for the win that day...

Ellis, your pic is of the 1100 Improved Production car and the 1275+ Sports Sedan.

#2974 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4
  • Member

  • 7,115 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:13

Does anyone know what the grill on the FJ is from?? Simca??


Originally posted by ken devine

RL=http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=humpies24copy.jpg]Posted Image[/URL]



#2975 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4
  • Member

  • 7,115 posts
  • Joined: February 03

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:21

Originally posted by 2Bob
Bob was racing in the Mini series (BMW Minis) late last year, a one off celeb drive I think?


Bob has been aligned with the BMW MINIs almost from day one and has been involved in many promotional gigs on their behalf.

#2976 ken devine

ken devine
  • Member

  • 752 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:46

The grille was from a Chev. i am not sure what year. Other items on the car were an orange vynel roof
and the exaust pipes were directed to come out of the mudguard fins.the object on the drivers door
was a hand signalling device like they had on trucks of the day.The car although well modified it was
Syd's everyday transport although he had plenty of cars to choose being a hire car and used car operator.

#2977 seldo

seldo
  • Member

  • 1,628 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:29

Originally posted by ken devine
The grille was from a Chev. i am not sure what year. Other items on the car were an orange vynel roof
and the exaust pipes were directed to come out of the mudguard fins.the object on the drivers door
was a hand signalling device like they had on trucks of the day.The car although well modified it was
Syd's everyday transport although he had plenty of cars to choose being a hire car and used car operator.

If I recall correctly it also had bucket seats in lieu of the original bench, I think a 4 speed 'box, and the spare was mounted externally flat on the boot lid

#2978 Wirra

Wirra
  • Member

  • 916 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:08

Ray et al.

Start naming names.

Posted Image

#2979 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:55

Far left is Joan Matich... Frank is obviously in the car, possibly the mechanic over his right shoulder is Graham Matich. Then there's David Walker in the white and red helmet, probably Peter Mabey at Matich's left rear wheel, I think it's Wayne Eckersley pushing Niel Allen along on the right.

Oh, and the mop of very dark hair behind Matich might well be Derek Kneller...

Advertisement

#2980 yasmin

yasmin
  • Member

  • 69 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:00

Great shot.
Wirra, Ray, do you have any more pictures of Frank Matich in his M10b ??

#2981 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:54

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Far left is Joan Matich... Frank is obviously in the car, possibly the mechanic over his right shoulder is Graham Matich. Then there's David Walker in the white and red helmet, probably Peter Mabey at Matich's left rear wheel, I think it's Wayne Eckersley pushing Niel Allen along on the right.

Oh, and the mop of very dark hair behind Matich might well be Derek Kneller...

was Peter Mabey ex BMC ex Repco?

#2982 fredeuce

fredeuce
  • Member

  • 346 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:28

Originally posted by ken devine
The grille was from a Chev. i am not sure what year. Other items on the car were an orange vynel roof
and the exaust pipes were directed to come out of the mudguard fins.the object on the drivers door
was a hand signalling device like they had on trucks of the day.The car although well modified it was
Syd's everyday transport although he had plenty of cars to choose being a hire car and used car operator.


That would make it a '55 Chev grille.

Posted Image

#2983 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 08 April 2009 - 23:20

Originally posted by yasmin
Great shot.
Wirra, Ray, do you have any more pictures of Frank Matich in his M10b?


No, I don't have any...

But I have a bunch of pics sent to me for posting. They come from Linda Nicastri, whose late father, Frank, was big in the wrecking yard business and whose son races speedway.

So many I'm posting thumbnails, almost all if not all seem to have been taken in the pits at Calder. V8 engines are generally a theme, they're all tintops.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

There are some interesting cars among Linda's shots, which I'm obliged to split up because of posting limits, like the different permutations of the Thomson/Gregory/whoever VW and the Moffat Super Falcon. Just a shame there's no action pics and no pics of racing cars.

#2984 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 08 April 2009 - 23:21

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2985 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle
  • Member

  • 6,140 posts
  • Joined: July 08

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:50

Ray, do you know whos was the blue 67 Camaro no 14?
And good to see pics of the City State Kingswood too. I seem to remember a 308 City State Torana too, a 4 dr from memory. Anyone remember it.

#2986 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:50

and who owned the other Camaro the 1st photo?

#2987 GeoffR

GeoffR
  • Member

  • 497 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:18

What a classic collection; both the works 'Super Falcons', Halliday bros Capri (remember seeing that at Baskerville vs Moffat), Ron Harrop's EH sports sedan, Gardner's Chev Corvair, Jim Smith's Camel Rover, Jane & Beechey cars. BTW, who had the Hans Volker VW sports sedan, didn't realise there were two of them!!

#2988 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle
  • Member

  • 6,140 posts
  • Joined: July 08

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:50

I think the red Wild wheels Camaro comes from NZ. I have seen it before in pics somewhere.Maybe the kiwis will know.
I presumed the yellow VW was Thommos in a later guise and owner?

#2989 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle
  • Member

  • 6,140 posts
  • Joined: July 08

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:11

Thommo is represented in those pics over the years in the Camaro, Torana and the VW. Janes Camaro is there as Jane then Jim Smith whose Camel Rover is there too.
Macs Charger has seen change too, and even the Indy Camaro [Winston] driven either by John Kay or Peter Finch.That car is still racing [though radically altered] as the ex Jarrett, Bob Middleton car now owned by a young bloke from Victoria.
Harrops EH is still around owned by Stewie Douglas, as is the Jane Camaro [427 may know a little!!] owned by Jane.David Bawden has Norms HT and the Nova? and Petes Super Falcon.
The renmants of The Charger and the Rover are still around too.
Whatever happened to Moffats Monza?

#2990 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:49

Gents, somewhat O/T (for which I will duly have a word with myself) but I need some assistance from our Aussie members.

Can anyone supply me with, or sell me, a pair of original Scuderia Veloce stickers, as would have been found on David McKay's Ferraris in the late-1960s - or failing that, provide me with a high-res, optimum-quality scan of the logo in question?

Any help would be most appreciated!

:up:

#2991 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:56

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
Thommo is represented in those pics over the years in the Camaro, Torana and the VW. Janes Camaro is there as Jane then Jim Smith whose Camel Rover is there too.
Macs Charger has seen change too, and even the Indy Camaro [Winston] driven either by John Kay or Peter Finch.That car is still racing [though radically altered] as the ex Jarrett, Bob Middleton car now owned by a young bloke from Victoria.
Harrops EH is still around owned by Stewie Douglas, as is the Jane Camaro [427 may know a little!!] owned by Jane.David Bawden has Norms HT and the Nova? and Petes Super Falcon.
The renmants of The Charger and the Rover are still around too.
Whatever happened to Moffats Monza?

Moffat Monza back in the USA.

#2992 2Bob

2Bob
  • Member

  • 407 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:01

Can anyone supply me with, or sell me, a pair of original Scuderia Veloce stickers, as would have been found on David McKay's Ferraris in the late-1960s - or failing that, provide me with a high-res, optimum-quality scan of the logo in question?


I have a copy of "The Autobigraphy - David McKay's Scuderia Veloce" which has a reasonable picture of the badge on the front cover. Could scan it if you want or if you want the book, probably fairly rare in the UK I would guess, you could have mine for what it cost me - $AUD75.00 - not a great read really but OK in its own way.

#2993 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 54,245 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:16

Originally posted by 2Bob
I have a copy of "The Autobigraphy - David McKay's Scuderia Veloce" which has a reasonable picture of the badge on the front cover. Could scan it if you want or if you want the book, probably fairly rare in the UK I would guess, you could have mine for what it cost me - $AUD75.00 - not a great read really but OK in its own way.


I'm quite sure that a decent digital photo of the logo would do Twinny, Bob...

Failing that, if someone has Graham Adelman's e.mail address, he would be able to do something for him.

#2994 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:34

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I'm quite sure that a decent digital photo of the logo would do Twinny, Bob...

Bob and Michael Hickey have both independently been kind enough to send me scans of the logo from the McKay book cover which is an enormous help and very much appreciated.

Indeed the only thing to surpass that would be if 'Wirra' is successful in obtaining original stickers from the dealership which he is hoping to visit over the next few days. And if someone can track Graham Adelman down to see if he has a couple then that's another option covered!

All-in-all a fantastic, and not at all unexpected, response from you guys - thank you all very much!

:up:

#2995 normbeechey

normbeechey
  • Member

  • 167 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:52

That's Kiwi Dennis Marwood's ex-Joe Chamberlain (USA) Trans Am Camaro. Fellow Kiwi Paul Fahey's Mustang is in the background in the 2nd pic. Calder 1972.

Originally posted by Lola5000
and who owned the other Camaro the 1st photo?



#2996 Catalina Park

Catalina Park
  • Member

  • 5,743 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:05

Originally posted by Twin Window

Bob and Michael Hickey have both independently been kind enough to send me scans of the logo from the McKay book cover which is an enormous help and very much appreciated.

Indeed the only thing to surpass that would be if 'Wirra' is successful in obtaining original stickers from the dealership which he is hoping to visit over the next few days. And if someone can track Graham Adelman down to see if he has a couple then that's another option covered!

All-in-all a fantastic, and not at all unexpected, response from you guys - thank you all very much!

:up:

The dealership has a different logo. It is SVM not SV.

Posted Image

#2997 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:15

Indeed so; 'Wirra' is aware of that and is intending to visit the service centre first in the hope of finding an older & wiser member of staff who might recall the original racing SV version.

;)

#2998 Catalina Park

Catalina Park
  • Member

  • 5,743 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:54

This photo from Kaydee from earlier in the thread shows an early version of the logo...

Posted Image

But later on it got the ribbon under the shield like in the one that I sent you in the PM. (not like the one in the SVM logo pictured above)

#2999 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 10 April 2009 - 13:29

Originally posted by Catalina Park

But later on it got the ribbon under the shield like in the one that I sent you in the PM.

And that's exactly the version I need...  ;)

Advertisement

#3000 Lola5000

Lola5000
  • Member

  • 1,178 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 10 April 2009 - 21:11

Originally posted by normbeechey
That's Kiwi Dennis Marwood's ex-Joe Chamberlain (USA) Trans Am Camaro. Fellow Kiwi Paul Fahey's Mustang is in the background in the 2nd pic. Calder 1972.

thanks Mr Rice.