Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8601 replies to this topic

#3051 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:11

The photos on this thread have been fantastic, really, really enjoyable thanks all

Advertisement

#3052 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 479 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:32

does anyone have contact details for Jim
McKeown believed to be in Qld probably gold coast
terry

#3053 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:01

Not sure how the years and the Neptune/Tridents colours went... if I was at home I could go through my RCNs and say...

But it must have been '64 & '65 in blue with white, then as Neptune was phased out they went to black with
Shell stripes. Possibly '66, maybe not till '67. Then they were perhaps a year in the electric blue before going to yellow.

I would have thought the order was different, but we have a pic of the Mk 1 Cortina here in black and I know the Mk 2 was in electric blue. It was a '67 model, but maybe not raced till '68.

#3054 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:23

Off the top of my head, 66 was blue and white which is what the Nova wore at the Bathurst ATCC race, then 67 went black with red & yellow stripes as per the Lakeside ATCC race and I think 68 was the same but I could be wrong because there didn't seem to be as many photos of the Camaro.

#3055 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 13:03

Originally posted by David Shaw
.....but I could be wrong because there didn't seem to be as many photos of the Camaro.

I think I can answer that one...

The Camaro was never painted in team colours... it was black with the factory white stripe that, from memory, sort of came down over the headlights and back along the sides, tapering down and petering out along the car.

How many times did he run the Camaro? About three?

#3056 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 23:34

Some interesting video here I found:
http://www.leadedmag...om.au/video.php

South Australian Trophy meeting at Port Wakefield June 4th 1956 and 1956 AGP meeting.

#3057 cooper997

cooper997

• 699 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 00:02

The Camaro was never painted in team colours... it was black with the factory white stripe that, from memory, sort of came down over the headlights and back along the sides, tapering down and petering out along the car.

Ray, your description of the Camaro striping is correct. To keep the sponsor happy there's also a 'SHELL' sticker on the rear of the front guards. One meeting Norm ran it was the final annual, one race only ATCC at Warwick Farm on September 8th, 1968.

When Shell repackaged their sponsorship arrangement with Norm, Peter & Jim, from Neptune to the Tridents Racing Team, they made their race debut in Western Australia for the WATCC at Caversham's September 25th, 1966 meeting. This should be the beginning of the Black with yellow & red 'Shell' striping era.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 02 May 2009 - 00:13.

#3058 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:42

The 1966 WA Touring Car Champs featured the Beechey Chevvy Nova, which DNFd, and it was dark blue, according to photos, as were the other two cars.

#3059 tania34

tania34

• 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:20

:up:

Some interesting video here I found:
http://www.leadedmag...om.au/video.php

South Australian Trophy meeting at Port Wakefield June 4th 1956 and 1956 AGP meeting.

:up: Collingrove Hillclimb Championship was great too

Advertisement

#3060 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:51

You are definately right on the colour scheme there Ray. I saw the Beechey Camaro on it's debut run at Calder where he managed to beat Pete Geoghegan. I have a couple of slides that I took of the car in the black with white combo that you speak of. The shell signage was limited to a small square on the rear bootlid, and similar on each front mudgaurd in front of the door. The only other meeting I remember the car competeing at was the ATCC at Warwick Farm. I'm sure the shot from Calder also included the Monaro sitting beside the Camaro.....

The colour schemes for the Beechey/McKeown/Manton cars were as I remember
Neptune Racing Team - Blue with White Stripes
Tridents Racing Team - Black with yellow/Red Stripe Combo
Tridents Racing Team - Electric Blue Yellow/Red Stripe Combo
Shell Racing Team _ Yellow Red Stripes...

Norms Mustang was only ever in the Neptune Colours..... The Nova ran the Neptune and both combos of the Tridents Colours.... Tha Camaro only ever ran the Black/White combo... The HK Monaro appeared at Calder in the original Holden Yellow colour of the time but eventually went to the Tridents Electric Blue combo..... the final Monaro only ever appeared in the Shell Racing yellow/red stripe combo...

The Jim McKeown and Peter Manton cars were always in the team colours listed above from my memory....

I always felt the the Camaro was just a "fill in car" between the Nova and the HK Monaro.... maybe someone else can throw some light on that thought?

Edited by Leo D, 02 May 2009 - 13:07.

#3061 Wirra

Wirra

• 846 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:12

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3062 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:53

The Nova looks black in that pic. I can't find the image I mentioned, so I guess my memory of it is adrift. Hard to tell on old colour slides sometimes.

#3063 Wirra

Wirra

• 846 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 13:31

I don't recall ever seeing Norm in the Shell (Trident Racing Team) light blue. These shot were (I feel) taken at the same meeting and when you include the period immediately prior with the Black Camaro it might be that Norm never ran in the light blue - who could blame him!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3064 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 13:32

The Nova looks black in that pic. I can't find the image I mentioned, so I guess my memory of it is adrift. Hard to tell on old colour slides sometimes.

Terry, those pics (supplied by Wirra) look like they were taken at Warwick Farm, and yes the Nova is in the "Black" version of the "Tridents" scheme.

You could have well seen the Nova at Caversham in 1966 in the "Dark Blue" Neptune scheme as seen on the Mustang and the EH. Remember Norm taking both the Mustang and the Nova to Bathurst for the 1966 ATCC, and after runinng both elected to use the Nova to defend his title?

I think it's agreed that the Camaro only ran in the black scheme... I think the car was the fill in car between the Nova and the HK Monaro. The initial runs in the HK were in the Standard GTS Yellow with Black stripe colours.... the car went to the Tridents Racing Blue scheme for the 1969 ATCC series.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some not so good shots of the Camaro..... I was young then... so what did I know about taking pictures... not much..
Probably hard to tell from the quality of my picture, but that is a HK Monaro sitting beside the Camaro in the tent in the second shot

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Leo D, 04 May 2009 - 06:25.

#3065 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:36

What happened to the Camaro?

#3066 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,518 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:21

With my limited image enhancement skills...I'm sure someone could do better!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3067 GD66

GD66

• 2,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:37

I don't recall ever seeing Norm in the Shell (Trident Racing Team) light blue. These shot were (I feel) taken at the same meeting and when you include the period immediately prior with the Black Camaro it might be that Norm never ran in the light blue - who could blame him!

Norm appeared at the second ever meeting at Bay Park Raceway in December 1967, in the Nova painted black. When he returned for the December 1968 meeting, the Nova was in the light blue livery, nowhere near the same dramatic effect, but driven with just as much gusto ! Norm was without question an innovative and forceful personality, when these attributes were in their formative times. I can recall him coming out of the right-hander at Bay Park, unwinding obscene amounts of opposite lock, and with his head back laughing out loud ! Ripper ! :eek:

#3068 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:18

With my limited image enhancement skills...I'm sure someone could do better!

Mick, I posted those Camaro pics with the thought that someone might be able to get a bit more out of them.... I tried re scanning them, but my limited skills didn't give a good result.... so I put the originals up... :wave:

and speaking of Camaro's, does anybody remember the one Terry Allen ran?... red with white stripes I think..... I'm sure he had his before Norm got one.... maybe someone could throw some light on that theory?

Edited by Leo D, 04 May 2009 - 13:26.

#3069 GD66

GD66

• 2,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:25

Mick, I posted those Camaro pics with the thought that someone might be able to get a bit more out of them.... I tried re scanning them, but my limited skills didn't give a good result.... so I put the originals up...

and speaking of Camaro's, does anybody remember the one Terry Allen ran?... red with whits stripes I think..... I'm sure he had his before Norm got one.... maybe someone could throw some light on that theory?

Fair enough. But when I saw the Terry Allan Camaro, it was a dark metallic blue with silver Minilites, and I've often wondered since if this is the same one that Garry Treloar was running a few years back ? Can anyone shed a light ? Sorry Leo, don't mean to hijack... :wave:

Edited by GD66, 04 May 2009 - 10:25.

#3070 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:48

Fair enough. But when I saw the Terry Allan Camaro, it was a dark metallic blue with silver Minilites, and I've often wondered since if this is the same one that Garry Treloar was running a few years back ? Can anyone shed a light ? Sorry Leo, don't mean to hijack... :wave:

Hmmm..... so am I out on my call on the colour of the Terry Allen Camaro GD? I'm only working on memory, so anything is possible....

I must admit that I only ever saw it run maybe twice..... Calder and Sandown. I have a feeling that it may have run a few times interstate, including the ATCC at Lakeside in 1967. The only other Camaro that I remember from the 60"s was the Bryan Thomson unit Mustard Yellow, with Black stripe........

I'm sure Terry had the first Camaro here, then Norm, then the one Bryan had ?

#3071 Team Result

Team Result

• 205 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:58

Hmmm..... so am I out on my call on the colour of the Terry Allen Camaro GD? I'm only working on memory, so anything is possible....

I must admit that I only ever saw it run maybe twice..... Calder and Sandown. I have a feeling that it may have run a few times interstate, including the ATCC at Lakeside in 1967. The only other Camaro that I remember from the 60"s was the Bryan Thomson unit Mustard Yellow, with Black stripe........

I'm sure Terry had the first Camaro here, then Norm, then the one Bryan had ?

Well, I only remember it as being red (with Minilites) and that it wasn't Norm's so was going to ask the same Q as Lola5000.

#3072 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 13:10

Well, I only remember it as being red (with Minilites) and that it wasn't Norm's so was going to ask the same Q as Lola5000.

I don't remember anyone else running the Norm Beechey Camaro..... could it have been put back to road going trim, and sold off through the car yard?

Edited by Leo D, 04 May 2009 - 13:27.

#3073 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 13:54

I have a notion it was sold to someone in New Zealand... but I won't by any means say that's definitive....

It was the Terry Allan car that had one of Australia's best touring car drivers preparing it, wasn't it?

#3074 seldo

seldo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 13:55

The Terry Allen Camaro was certainly red with white stripes. I made a vague attempt at trying to buy it at the time.

Edited by seldo, 04 May 2009 - 23:26.

#3075 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 16:38

I have a notion it was sold to someone in New Zealand... but I won't by any means say that's definitive....

Not as a race car, AFAIK

#3076 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:18

Originally posted by seldo
The Terry Allen Camaro was certainly red with white stripes. I made a vague attempt at trying to buy it at the time.

I'd imagine such a purchase would have elicited the same kind of raised eyebrows as the Phil Ward acquisition of the Jane Monaro did a few years later...

Of course, if you had taken the 'mechanic' previously referred to with the car, then it's possible you might have been almost as good a driver as the spannerman.

D McK... thanks for that, I just wasn't sure.

#3077 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:35

Leo D, the Camaro was 'FOR SALE' in a Used Car Lot, On the Nepean Highway 1970/71,Black with White 'Bumble Bee' factory nose strip,right Hand Drive,Factory chrome 'Hurst' shifter had had the touch of the 'Hot' Axe to bend it over to the 'Right',had the 'Trick' imitation Injection Hood and boot spoiler,So how do I know this,well two things;One'I tried to trade my V8 HK Holden in on the Camaro, but I had not made 12 repayments at the time, though I passed all other requiements.I was still not a Qualified borrower (Things have sure changed!!)secondly, I had Chris Farrell with me whom worked at Ansett Bus Company,Aluminium Sheet Metal Dept.whom 'Moonlited' for Norm The Beech ,fabricating and making 'Alloy' panels etc,Chris had worked on the Camaro and was addiment that it was Norm's Car when I reminded about the Near 'Purchase' when I recorded this 'Fact' on another Forum, recently.................regards427

#3078 Cameraguy

Cameraguy

• 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 22:19

Ok my first post Here.I got pointed in this direction.I have some B&W pics from 1968-1969 :eek:
Peter Brock in Austin A30
Posted Image

Dennis Gearry
in a Lola

Posted Image
Posted Image

Phil Ward
Posted Image
Posted Image

I dont know anything about these
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

John Roxburgh
Datsun 1600
Posted Image

Open wheelers
1-graham Hill Lotus Ford V8
5-Piers Courage Brabham Ford V8
9- kevin Bartlett Brabham Alfa V8
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats it :D

#3079 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:18

Actually 9 is Jack Brabham, Brabham Repco V8...

The Kevin Bartlett car, probably wearing No 8, is Frank Gardner. Mildren Alfa V8.

The EH coming out of Peters Corner sideways is either Brian Muir or Dave Price, or possibly Terry Allan. It is the Muir S4, however.

Brock is, of course, dicing with Lyn Brown in the first pic.

Advertisement

#3080 Wirra

Wirra

• 846 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:10

... dicing with Lyn Brown in the first pic.

I recall Lynn Brown (sp) and I recall this purple Mini but I'm not sure if I would be correct in joining the dots! Also, is that Laurie Stewart doing the chasing?

Posted Image

#3081 Cameraguy

Cameraguy

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:59

Actually 9 is Jack Brabham, Brabham Repco V8...

The Kevin Bartlett car, probably wearing No 8, is Frank Gardner. Mildren Alfa V8.

The EH coming out of Peters Corner sideways is either Brian Muir or Dave Price, or possibly Terry Allan. It is the Muir S4, however.

Brock is, of course, dicing with Lyn Brown in the first pic.

Thanks for the info :up:

#3082 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:56

Is that Lyn Brown?

Or is it Phil Barnes?

It's Foley in No 8 anyway...

#3083 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:25

I always rember Brian Foley as running No 8, however I only saw him run in the Castrol livery..... was the pic taken before that deal came into being?...

I recall Laurie Stewart running with him as a team member at one stage though ...

I always considered Brian Foley to be the next best Mini guy after Peter Manton...... but that's just a personal opinion....

#3084 seldo

seldo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 13:03

Is that Lyn Brown?

Or is it Phil Barnes?

It's Foley in No 8 anyway...

Phil Barnes for my money

#3085 Wirra

Wirra

• 846 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:32

...Or is it Phil Barnes?...

I would agree with that. Probably the NSW Touring Car Championship at Catalina in 1968, based on this photo http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no - Autopics images 68053 and 68195

This one I'm pretty sure is Laurie Stewart - and IIRC it was all his own work!

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 07 May 2009 - 05:33.

#3086 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:25

The No.3 Cortina coming out of Peters looks to me like Robin Bessant.

#3087 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:09

few years ago a black Camaro with a middle aged woman was at a historic Sandown meeting ,few thought it was Norm's old car.

#3088 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:02

Originally posted by Leo D
.....I always considered Brian Foley to be the next best Mini guy after Peter Manton...... but that's just a personal opinion....

Not shared by me...

Considering the weight disadvantage he had compared to Manton, the way he could race with him and sometimes beat him... and his ability to stay on the bitumen (his first ever spin came in a Porsche 911 when the Mini days were over)... I believe put him ahead of Manton on ability.

#3089 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:05

Lola5000;the thing to consider at that time,it was just an American "Camaro' For Sale,we travelled from down town 'Brunswick' when we heard that there was a Camaro in a 'Car Yard' over Cheltenham way,(just before you get to the 'Bob Jane.t.Mart thats got that 'Drag Car'in the show Room ,Dodge Ramcharger!!),NO ONE!!, would have bought for its Inheritant Value,at that time....points to look for ,the 'Chrome'(round Rod)'Hurst' Factory Shifter had 'Oxy' heat damage,it was quicker to heat it up and bend it to suit the Right Hand Drive position than take it out and do it properly,also,the 'Rollover" Hop (Maybe"Bond's",we make roll bars for any car!!!) the Holes were still in the 'Black' Carpet in the rear floor well area,so for those supper 'Sluth's, go check the under floors of your '68 Camaros, this car also sat in a 'Arse' down stance, nose up, its still a vivid memory of an opportunity 'Lost',also remember the V8 Hk,I drove (shared with 'Custom Credit finance') market value was $1800.00s, a Monaro was $2500-3000, the Camaro was,if my memory serves me well,around $4000.00,,,wages were about $150s a week...................................regards427

#3090 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:35

Not shared by me...

Considering the weight disadvantage he had compared to Manton, the way he could race with him and sometimes beat him... and his ability to stay on the bitumen (his first ever spin came in a Porsche 911 when the Mini days were over)... I believe put him ahead of Manton on ability.

That's ok Ray......I was hoping someone might post a different opinion to mine. All of the races that I saw Peter Manton drive were in Victoria... mostly at Calder, where they used to have either a smaller capacity touring car race or mini only race.... Peter Manton was usually the winner. Sometimes when Brian Foley came down rom Sydney, he certainly made the contest more interesting. I saw Peter and Brian race at Sandown a few times. Remember when they ran the Ron Flockhart Memorial Trophy race there? ..... their dices there were always good. I always thought that the Broadspeed fastback Mini that Brian had for a while was a neat looking unit...... Other front running guys that I used to remember, Mini wise down here were Jim Smith and Ted Brewster...

I enjoyed watching Brian in that Chester*** sponsored 911 as well...... always thought it looked better than Jim McKeowns similar unit..... :wave:

Lola5000;the thing to consider at that time,it was just an American "Camaro' For Sale,we travelled from down town 'Brunswick' when we heard that there was a Camaro in a 'Car Yard' over Cheltenham way,(just before you get to the 'Bob Jane.t.Mart thats got that 'Drag Car'in the show Room ,Dodge Ramcharger!!),NO ONE!!, would have bought for its Inheritant Value,at that time....points to look for ,the 'Chrome'(round Rod)'Hurst' Factory Shifter had 'Oxy' heat damage,it was quicker to heat it up and bend it to suit the Right Hand Drive position than take it out and do it properly,also,the 'Rollover" Hop (Maybe"Bond's",we make roll bars for any car!!!) the Holes were still in the 'Black' Carpet in the rear floor well area,so for those supper 'Sluth's, go check the under floors of your '68 Camaros, this car also sat in a 'Arse' down stance, nose up, its still a vivid memory of an opportunity 'Lost',also remember the V8 Hk,I drove (shared with 'Custom Credit finance') market value was $1800.00s, a Monaro was $2500-3000, the Camaro was,if my memory serves me well,around $4000.00,,,wages were about $150s a week...................................regards427

I see that you mention Brunswick there 427.... were you part of the Jane Team at that stage?....... BTW... any progress reports on the M6?

Edited by Leo D, 07 May 2009 - 11:09.

#3091 seldo

seldo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 14:19

few years ago a black Camaro with a middle aged woman was at a historic Sandown meeting ,few thought it was Norm's old car.

Surely not Pat Peck still at it?

#3092 seldo

seldo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 14:22

I'd imagine such a purchase would have elicited the same kind of raised eyebrows as the Phil Ward acquisition of the Jane Monaro did a few years later...

Of course, if you had taken the 'mechanic' previously referred to with the car, then it's possible you might have been almost as good a driver as the spannerman.

D McK... thanks for that, I just wasn't sure.

I've puzzled over this for a few days - I must be getting a bit slow Ray - perhaps you'd care to cut away some of the obfuscation....?

#3093 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 00:10

Lost me their Seldo,Pat Peck?

#3094 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,518 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 00:28

Surely not Pat Peck still at it?

Pat Peck is likely slightly older than "middle aged" now :)

#3095 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:53

Lost me their Seldo,Pat Peck?

Pat was the other half of D & P Traders...... Pat and Darcy Peck. Pat raced karts and at one stage a Camaro.

I'm sure that Oran Park used to to run, or promote some races for female drivers..... Pat Peck.... Sue Ransom..... Gloria Taylor..... That's my memory of it, but someone else may wish to clarify or correct that memory....

#3096 seldo

seldo

• 1,458 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:15

Pat Peck is likely slightly older than "middle aged" now :)

:lol: Yes - I guess so. On reflection, I suppose she must/would be pushing 80+ by now...

#3097 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:08

Originally posted by seldo
I've puzzled over this for a few days - I must be getting a bit slow Ray - perhaps you'd care to cut away some of the obfuscation....?

Gladly, David...

When Wardie bought the Monaro, his shattering performances in the Escort caused people to wonder what would happen if he tried the same things in the bigger car. I think the same would have been said of you, though not by so many people.

The mechanic on the car was Wayne Mankhen. Having seen him race his EH in Tasmania, I ranked him on the top level.

#3098 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:11

Originally posted by Leo D
.....I'm sure that Oran Park used to to run, or promote some races for female drivers..... Pat Peck.... Sue Ransom..... Gloria Taylor..... That's my memory of it, but someone else may wish to clarify or correct that memory....

In that company, the late Gloria Taylor was older than most... but Pat was much older than Gloria...

Eighties? I reckon she'd be nineties by now!

#3099 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,640 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:15

Pat Peck was still racing in the 90s. I think she may have stopped when Darcy died. They were both very nice people.
I saw Pat drive Toranas, Mazdas, a Buick Riviera and probably a few others that I don't remember.

Advertisement

#3100 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,394 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:32

Oh yeah... Darcy was even older...

Which is why some people like Ron Gi... no, better not say that.