Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8601 replies to this topic

#3151 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:48

I should add that Bill Brown's LHD car was a factory prepared race car known as a 911S/T.

The others in the photo above bought the fastest model available being the 911S and did all the race mods themselves.

The Thackwell 1970 911 was similarly a 911S/T factory prepared but was the only RHD S/T produced. It now lives in the UK. I'll post a photo once I get this forum sussed out :drunk:

Advertisement

#3152 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:50

As indicated by my post mentioning the Dogleg, it's Oran Park...

Toby Lee Series, I'd suggest. Cary's Capri was around 1972, but I think the top pic would be 1970. I can check.

#3153 kneller

kneller

• 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 18:45

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Frank Matich and the Matich A53 Friday practice Oran Park Tasman Round 1974. From memory the Repco Holden engine was fitted with a flat plane crankshaft. I think the fellow with no shirt on talking to Frank is Peter Gethin.I also believe Ray Bell is in the background of the first shot.

the fellow talking to frank matich is johnnie walker derek kneller is in the orange shirt inpecting the rear of the car

#3154 kneller

kneller

• 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 19:29

Posted Image

I know this is not too difficult but, just for fun, who what when and where?

I think this is frank gardner in a lola t92 Iam not sure where and when ,some time in1970

#3155 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 21:24

Creek Corner, I'm fairly sure...

Surprised that I haven't answered this before. Haven't I? Anyway, Frank ran those extra wings at the Farm in 1971, I don't think they were fitted at any other Australian races.

Derek might know for sure, and he might know about NZ.

#3156 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 22:47

Great photo Dick.

Gordon being the owner of Stewart’s Motor Service Pty Ltd, 292 Princes Hwy, Blakehurst. Correct? Later on known as the "BMC Sports Car Centre" - I have a Mk1 Cooper S in the back of the shed that came from them.

From the photo, clearly Catalina allowed drivers to have their numbers pretty much at all meetings they entered. Because in all the Catalina programmes I looked at over the 61/62 period you mention, the Ecurie Cinque Stewart MG carries #11 in each. So on that basis and having no idea about car #33 at all, all I can find for a racing car with that number is the Barry Ekins/Brian Lear MG Special supercharged. Same goes for #91, that Ray has already identified as George Murray's Austin 7.

Stephen

I can clear up the mystery of #83. It is a Lynx fitted with a S/C'd Vincent and was built as a hill-climb car for the Victorian hill-climber John Marsden (or Marston).

The car was run in a few circuit races, Oran Park & Catalina when new. I was involved in its construction when with Lynx. The chassis was from the Ralt designs jigged and welded by Peter Wilkinson.

#3157 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 00:05

Creek Corner, I'm fairly sure...

That's what I first thought but he didn't run those winglets in Friday's practice - I don't know about the race.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this it? Colin Hyams who drove a Lola T192 later - immaculate looking but not real quick (the car I mean!).

Posted Image

Not sure about this... is it even a Lola T192? Could be Ulf Norinder's T190?.

Posted Image

Attention Mr Bartlett: I started a KB thread and would appreciate any contributions you may care to make. Thanks.
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=110844

Edited by Wirra, 10 August 2009 - 05:40.

#3158 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:30

Yes, he ran them in the race... pic in RCN is from the race...

KB told me he hasn't been checking the forum lately, but he did earlier today.

Hyams was slow. It might not have been the car.

#3159 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 266 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:27

I think this is frank gardner in a lola t92 Iam not sure where and when ,some time in1970

Yes it has been answered before. Frank Gardner Lola T192 Creek Corner Warwick Farm.
Dale.

Advertisement

#3160 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:00

I can clear up the mystery of #83. It is a Lynx fitted with a S/C'd Vincent and was built as a hill-climb car for the Victorian hill-climber John Marsden (or Marston).

The car was run in a few circuit races, Oran Park & Catalina when new. I was involved in its construction when with Lynx. The chassis was from the Ralt designs jigged and welded by Peter Wilkinson.

Far be it for me to disagree with you KB, but even though I cant readily lay my hands on a contemporary Catalina program, I think it is Peter Hill's Scorpion Vincent. I agree the John Marston Lynx and the Scorpion were very similar, but one visual difference was that the Scorpion had a nose opening, the Marston Lynx didnt

#3161 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:57

Yes, he ran them in the race... pic in RCN is from the race...

KB told me he hasn't been checking the forum lately, but he did earlier today.

Hyams was slow. It might not have been the car.

Nice comment about Colin Hyams,, Ray

As i recall, he purchased the ex-Hunt, ex-Neal Maserati pre-250F (A6GSM?) and drove it without any distinction, then later had a genuine XKSS, which was for some time , was on display at Clements Sporting Car Services in Hughesdale .

I also, for some reason, connect his name with the Fishermens Bend sprints of 1960/61...maybe a lister will know more.

It is easy to criticise from an armchair, but at least he had a go and to his credit, he wasnt sucked into the touring car nonsense that most others were blindly consumed by at that terrible time.

Derek

#3162 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:35

Is this it? Colin Hyams who drove a Lola T192 later - immaculate looking but not real quick (the car I mean!).

Posted Image

This car is definitely Colin Hyams . Here is another pic taken at Mallala Easter 1971.
Interesting to see that on the first pic there is some BP sponsorship depicted on the front wings and Castrol on the second pic.

Posted Image

#3163 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:01

Originally posted by Derek Pitt
Nice comment about Colin Hyams, Ray.....

.....It is easy to criticise from an armchair, but at least he had a go and to his credit, he wasnt sucked into the touring car nonsense that most others were blindly consumed by at that terrible time.

I have a nagging feeling that he drove a Camaro...

And I've made one even more pointed comment about him previously, Stan. What you must also consider is that I also 'had a go' and I also stood on the edge of the track and watched drivers at work.

#3164 seldo

seldo

• 1,461 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:11

I have a nagging feeling that he drove a Camaro...

And I've made one even more pointed comment about him previously, Stan. What you must also consider is that I also 'had a go' and I also stood on the edge of the track and watched drivers at work.

He said to me once - "I'm not much of a driver, but I enjoy it". He also really loved/loves? his cars and they were without exception superbly immaculate.

#3165 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 23:40

Far be it for me to disagree with you KB, but even though I cant readily lay my hands on a contemporary Catalina program, I think it is Peter Hill's Scorpion Vincent. I agree the John Marston Lynx and the Scorpion were very similar, but one visual difference was that the Scorpion had a nose opening, the Marston Lynx didnt

Meddles, I think I should bow to a clearly superior memory on historics. What you point out escaped my eyes. Though another driver of a similar type of device was Geoff ----- can you name him? Regards KB

#3166 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 23:59

McLelland? Or McClelland?

Is that the one? He was from Newcastle, as I recall, later had a Brabham, went into the crowd at Sandown.

#3167 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 00:11

Meddles, I think I should bow to a clearly superior memory on historics. What you point out escaped my eyes. Though another driver of a similar type of device was Geoff ----- can you name him? Regards KB

McClelland Thats him. See, Ray, I knew you have the superior brain as well. :stoned:

Edited by kevinbartlett, 11 August 2009 - 00:12.

#3168 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:55

Unearthed one more.

Posted Image

I think I read where Sir Stirling is 80 in September.

#3169 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:21

Re the Scorpion/ Lynx matter, I bow to Graham Howard's superior knowledge. Grime is after all the editor of that wonderful newsletter for aircooled cars called(what else) Loose Fillings. Grime claims that Marston had THREE Lynx Vincents, one of which had a Scorpion Vincent nose opening.

So, KB, we both may be right.........

#3170 mulishajp

mulishajp

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 13:34

does anyone have any pic's of bruce cary racing as i was his nephew and mum would like some pictures from back in the day

#3171 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 20:24

There's plenty of those in the Chevron files, Drew...

In particular from the Capri days, short as they were.

But hopefully someone here will have some too.

#3172 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:15

...But hopefully someone here will have some too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think there was an Anglia before this, can someone tell me the colour/s.

Drew, your reference that you 'were' his nephew sent me on a search. Damn it... so sorry to learn of his passing in 2004. He was an absolute top bloke when I knew him in the 70s.

Edited by Wirra, 11 September 2009 - 02:29.

#3173 mulishajp

mulishajp

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:53

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think there was an Anglia before this, can someone tell me the colour/s.

Drew, your reference that you 'were' his nephew sent me on a search. Damn it... so sorry to learn of his passing in 2004. He was an absolute top bloke when I knew him in the 70s.

yes i know i miss him alot. How did you know him from the 70's

#3174 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 13:12

Sorry, I can't be totally sure, but I think the Anglia (with Falcon 6) was blue...

Did you see this one? Bruce ranked a mention in posts 14 and 16 there.

#3175 mulishajp

mulishajp

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 13:46

Sorry, I can't be totally sure, but I think the Anglia (with Falcon 6) was blue...

Did you see this one? Bruce ranked a mention in posts 14 and 16 there.

lol yeah i know the mawer's you did forget about Ashley Mawer though in that post

Edited by mulishajp, 11 September 2009 - 13:47.

#3176 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:55

So maybe if you start a thread just about Bruce (I don't think there's ever been one) we can delve further?

I might even tell the story of when I was a courier and I was called upon to pick up some gears from Mascot airport for a car Bruce was preparing up at Big Dave's. That was an interesting story, I tell you, and nobody ever got the gears!

#3177 colinctoo

colinctoo

• 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:42

More photos from the 1955 Australian Grand Prix at Port Wakefield -

Posted Image
Reg Hunt KLG Maserati 250F

fwiw ... the picture shows Reg Hunt's 1953 A6GCM Maserati, albeit with a 2.5 litre 250F motor instead of the original 2 litre. By the beginning of 1956 Hunt had replaced it with the ex-Behra 1955 250F - source for all of this is John Medley's book "Bathurst".

#3178 colinctoo

colinctoo

• 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 13:59

Official pre-race scrutineering somewhere in Orange prior to the February 1960 meeting.
Derek Jolly's Lotus XV in left foreground -

Posted Image

... this was the back entrance to Lapham's Garage in Orange - it was just off the main street. The cars would exit through the front of the garage into Anson Street - fortunately the streets are pretty wide. Here's a 1961 photo of one of them after scrutineering (check the mechanic's DA haircut) ...

Posted Image

... my notes have this as a "Simca Sprite" (an Aronde motor perhaps?) but I can't remember anything about the car except that it was a lightweight - front hinged fibreglass bonnet and stripped out doors. IIRC it was supercharged - anyone remember it?

Edited by colinctoo, 21 September 2009 - 14:04.

#3179 Team Result

Team Result

• 205 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:33

... this was the back entrance to Lapham's Garage in Orange - it was just off the main street. The cars would exit through the front of the garage into Anson Street - fortunately the streets are pretty wide. Here's a 1961 photo of one of them after scrutineering (check the mechanic's DA haircut) ...

Posted Image

... my notes have this as a "Simca Sprite" (an Aronde motor perhaps?) but I can't remember anything about the car except that it was a lightweight - front hinged fibreglass bonnet and stripped out doors. IIRC it was supercharged - anyone remember it?

Seems Zephyr utes were popular in Orange in those days, though the one in the first pic has come all the way down from Queensland :p

Advertisement

#3180 colinctoo

colinctoo

• 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:50

... a couple of photos from Bathurst Easter 1957 ... sorry about the quality ...

Tom Clark's Squalo Ferrari on the run down from The Dipper ... note the classic driving position ...

Posted Image

... and Jesse Griffiths in the LJC Motors entered MG TB Special.

Posted Image

Took me a while to figure out what's wrong with this picture - the car's facing the wrong way (check the shadows). John Medley's book "Bathurst" provides the answer "... the battling MG's of Jim Johnson and Jesse Griffiths, the latter losing much ground after a "moment" at the top of the Esses." The picture was taken at The Dipper.

#3181 colinctoo

colinctoo

• 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:14

... and speaking of "moments", here's one from Catalina Park. No details I'm afraid, but probably 1964 or later - is it Max Stahl?

Posted Image

... car number is 88J ...

Edited by colinctoo, 22 September 2009 - 04:15.

#3182 cooper997

cooper997

• 699 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:44

... and speaking of "moments", here's one from Catalina Park. No details I'm afraid, but probably 1964 or later - is it Max Stahl?

... car number is 88J ...

Colinctoo,

The Holden probably is Max - could be the November 10th, 1963 Catalina meeting. Where he was #88 and he did roll at this meeting.

The Simca Sprite - is it Doug Chivas? I have a 1960 Gnoo Blas programme that lists him in the "Leaton Motors Sprite Simca". I'll bring this to the attention of Sprite historian, Ray English and see whether he knows better.

Keep the interesting photos coming.

Stephen

#3183 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 13:25

Originally posted by colinctoo
...and speaking of "moments", here's one from Catalina Park. No details I'm afraid, but probably 1964 or later - is it Max Stahl?

Posted Image

... car number is 88J

Max has a photo from a similar angle with the car on the same angle...

So it's easy to confirm that it's his.

#3184 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 560 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 13:34

Posted Image

I'll forward this off to Ray English who runs the Mkq Sprite Museum in Victoria. he may know.

#3185 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 560 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 15:59

Posted Image

From Ray English M<k1 Sprite historian.

Hi Gary,

Lightweight as in fibreglass front, stripped of all trim etc - not alloy. We had a few "lightwewight cars done over here by various owners, most had weight removed by drilling lots of holes in them (as per PMO 200). This car was driven by Doug Chivers -see Lost & Found in Marque One No 66.

#3186 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 21:30

Please note the correct spelling... as above...

Doug Chivas. Otherwise known as 'Dicey Doug.'

#3187 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 776 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:15

I've just come across this oldie taken at the Catalina Park opening meeting, any clues on the identity of the cars and drivers ?

Posted Image

#3188 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,644 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:22

I've just come across this oldie taken at the Catalina Park opening meeting, any clues on the identity of the cars and drivers ?

Posted Image

Car 37 is listed in the programme as D. Russell M.G. TC 1498cc
Is that second car number 46?
If it is 46 it should be A. J. Heasman Scarab 650cc

#3189 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 776 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 20:07

Well done Michael, its good to know that someone knows their stuff on these early cars.

#3190 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,644 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:56

All I know is where I left the box with the programmes in it! :wave:

The TC looks familiar, any clues to the history?

That Scarab is a neat looking thing, anyone know any more about it? It looks like there was a few bike engined cars in the field.

#3191 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 776 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:23

Michael, the TC Special is one of our most notable TC Specials, originally built by Bill Patterson in Victoria and raced by him in 1949/50 until sold to Curley Brydon who raced it extensively including a second place in the 1953 AGP at Albert Park behind the Lago Talbot. Subsequent owners included John Martin and of course Keith Russell of Tamworth who was driving it in the above pic. Since 2000 it has been owned by Richard Townley of Victoria who sometimes contributes to this forum, it has been restored to its original livery and is absolutely immaculate and is a regular competitor at Historic meetings.

The Scarab's origin is unknown to me but made its entry into Historics some years ago in the hands of David Reid. It is now owned by Terry Perkins of Port Macquarie and it too has been immaculately restored and appears in selected Historic events these days.

#3192 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 585 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:39

The Scarab's origin is unknown to me but made its entry into Historics some years ago in the hands of David Reid. It is now owned by Terry Perkins of Port Macquarie and it too has been immaculately restored and appears in selected Historic events these days.

Terry Perkins - Larry's brother - or are there two Terry Perkinses?

Bruce Moxon

#3193 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 776 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:40

Richard even let me drive it in a parade a couple of years ago, lovely isn't it !

Posted Image

#3194 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 21:45

From Patto's personal collection:

Posted Image

I think I detect some difference. Or is this another car?

Edited by Ray Bell, 17 October 2009 - 21:49.

#3195 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:15

Different car, Ray. Your pic is Bill Maclachlan's MG TA Special built on the Alan Crago square rigger that placed 3rd 1938 AGP at Bathurst, the special destroyed when it hit a RAAF truck at Point Cook in 1948

Nice pic, Dick. Did you get my email?

#3196 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 776 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:33

Thanks John, got your email and replied last night but it has obviously suffered the same fate as the last one.

#3197 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:06

Speaking of Patto... here he is autographing one of my copies of the AGP 50-Race History books...

Posted Image

He's autographing the page that heads the report on the 1957 event, in which he shared the win with Davo. I have pictures of some of the drivers who've autographed my book/books... Arthur Waite, Warwick Pratley, John Crouch and Allan Tomlinson. I'm not much of an autograph hound, but for this book I thought I'd make an exception. Shame they get so much use they're becoming quite delapidated.

And thanks for the correction John, I had an idea it might have been MacLac (didn't take the trouble to look in the Bathurst book!), but I have so few of Patto's pics I've scanned I'd always thought it was his car.

Edited by Ray Bell, 18 October 2009 - 08:09.

#3198 swr11

swr11

• 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 00:18

Terry Perkins - Larry's brother - or are there two Terry Perkinses?

Bruce Moxon

Re Scarab/Triump Air Cooled car mentioned in Dick Willis posting #3188.
As the Current owner of the car I would welcome any info on the early ( 1958 - 1970) racing history of the car.
Cheers,
Terry Perkins ( not Larry's Brother)

Edited by swr11, 28 October 2009 - 00:19.

#3199 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 479 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 23:20

Back in the 1950's Jaguar XK120's were a big part of the racing scene in Australia including running in the Australian Grand Prix's at Bathurst, Albert Park and Southport

Coming Soon
The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogly.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335 x 247mm full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Posted ImagePosted Image
tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Edited by terry mcgrath, 01 November 2009 - 23:29.

Advertisement

#3200 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 479 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 13:53

Web site now up and running
www.jtpublications.com.au

Back in the 1950's Jaguar XK120's were a big part of the racing scene in Australia including running in the Australian Grand Prix's at Bathurst, Albert Park and Southport

Coming Soon
The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogy.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335mm x 247mm, full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Posted ImagePosted Image
tmcgrath@bigpond.com