Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#3251 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:31

I don't think it was 'his' T332...

I'm thinking, but without more than a whiff of understanding, that it belonged to Magnum Wheels at that time. KB did, however, put his T400 on the market after the Calder meeting at which Max Stewart died. That was March, from memory. Between then and the four Gold Star meetings (Surfers August 28, Sandown September 11 and Calder on October 16, with Winton dodging in there on October 30, Phillip Island closing proceedings on November 13) it's obvious he didn't sell it and he didn't conclude any deal to either buy the T332 or continue driving for Martin Sampson.

So he drove the T400.

Advertisement

#3252 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 15:19

If it's about '65, that should be Ray Scanlen (Scanlan?) in the Simca Monthlery...

Black with a silver flash along the side. He never ventured far in that car, just local races from memory.

Ray,
I notice the Simca and the Fiat "parting the waters" to let the faster Humpies through. As it ever was back then!

Simca Montlhery minus its rubber bumper over/riders ? Then he may have removed them to lighten up.
Some of the dealers tarted up Simcas by fitting the Monty side flashes. These were available as an accessory, called the "Tilli" flash.

Regards, Wily.

#3253 donharper

donharper

• 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:49

Thank you for the time and replies gentlemen. I tend to struggle with this new technology. I checked your site out Allen , as I usually start there , but missed everything. I thought chassis plates may have changed about.

#3254 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:03

Hi

Phillip Island 1961 John Roxburgh ex - Mildren T45

Note the condition of the circuit .. padly patched ..long grass etc.. typical of what our REAL racing drivers endured.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3255 macca0091

macca0091

• 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 20:32

I've no doubt that the owner, Bill Warren, has passed on...

I seem to recall that Jock McLean, who raced another of Bill's cars, was rebuilding this car when his son was racing his Farrell Clubman in the late seventies or early eighties. But then Jock died suddenly. I have no idea of events since that time as I've lost touch with all these people.

I do have a pic of the car, however... at Oran Park in 1965 or '66. And I've posted a pic of it on this forum somewhere from the Bob Britton collection. But, of course, neither of mine hold a candle to your really terrific picture of George and the car, John.

I'd imagine when this was taken it had a 998 BMC A-series in it. I remember one day at Catalina he blew it up, and with the engine still emitting smoke and steam he prised the crack in the crankcase open with a jack handle or something to see what was broken inside. Later it had a 1275cc engine.

Ray,
Most of your comments are true and correct, Jock McLean (my father) and I did rebuild this car in the early 80's, dad did race the sister car (#76)to this in the early days until he rolled it at Oran Park, then #90 was built, my brother Malcolm did race a Clubman, but it was a Nota. Dad died in the car at Oran Park during the Anniversary Meeting in 1988, the car then sat at the head mechanic's place until it was transported north to be with Bill Warren until he passed away. I have been informed that there are moves to have the car placed in a major Museum in Sydney. This is one of the best photos I have seen of the car and would love to see more if anyone has got any.

#3256 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 22:09

Nice to see you here!

And I'd forgotten that Malcolm's car was one of (or the?) last Nota Clubmans built. From memory he put it together himself, but with a lot of help from Jock, and he raced it very hard. He was right up there at the pointy end of the field, more so than any other Nota had been for years.

#3257 gouldo

gouldo

• 103 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 00:33

Ray,
Most of your comments are true and correct, Jock McLean (my father) and I did rebuild this car in the early 80's, dad did race the sister car (#76)to this in the early days until he rolled it at Oran Park, then #90 was built, my brother Malcolm did race a Clubman, but it was a Nota. Dad died in the car at Oran Park during the Anniversary Meeting in 1988, the car then sat at the head mechanic's place until it was transported north to be with Bill Warren until he passed away. I have been informed that there are moves to have the car placed in a major Museum in Sydney. This is one of the best photos I have seen of the car and would love to see more if anyone has got any.

Macca,

Just on your notes above, I recall that nota - and from my memory, Malcolm raced it at the Clubman 'Nationals' at Oran Park in 1988. Full Sports 1300 body, burgundy with gold trim.

Could you clarify two things for me please?

The numbers 76 & 90 you refer to, are they the race numbers or chassis numbers?

Chassis 76 - Nota? - is a Vee according to the Nota book.

Chassis 90 - Nota - built originally by Rob Medcalf (of Robin Sports 1300 fame). This Nota has been in my family since 1976.

If you could clarify the chassis numbers, it would be greateful.

I have often wondered where Malcolms Nota ended up at.

Thanks

Brad

#3258 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:17

A couple more pics taken during the March 1960 meeting at Longford -

Posted Image
Brian Foley A40 and ? Cooper Morris Minor -

Posted Image
Brian Foley A40 being re-fueled in the pits

#3259 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:24

Great photos as usual Kevin :clap: , good to see you posting here again.

Advertisement

#3260 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:28

Start of Touring car race at Mallala in October 1961-
Posted Image
Front row looks like Col Riches in the Dodge with Clem Smith alongside in the red Holden.
VW No 50 is probably Ken Virgin - not sure of any of the other cars.

#3261 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 14:00

Strange to see Col's old Dodge on the front row, if it was a Touring Car race it would be run under Appendix J and he would have to use the Dodge 6 it originally came with. Is that a sports car next to the Austin Lancer on the second row?

#3262 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 14:22

I wondered that, too, David. It looks a bit Sebring Sprite-ish from the roof. Is the dark red and silver no.42 car a mk 2 Zephyr or what ? Opel Rekord? The swage above and to the rear of the o/s wheel arch is interesting.
Roger Lund

#3263 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 15:36

Col Riches' Dodge had a V8 engine in it... it certainly wasn't a Touring Car...

1961 was a year which saw a lot of 'GT' racing, basically anything with a roof and two or more seats could run.

Roger, you really should have thought of the ever-popular name 'Holden' there. That's an FE model, made from 1956 to 1958.

#3264 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:02

And for those of you who think it looks strange for a start at Mallala it is. The old start line headed to the southern hairpin, where the pit lane is now. The pit paddock was in the centre of the track which where the pic was taken.
When Clem Smith [yes the one driving the red Holden] reopened the track a lot of stuff was different, start line moved and the straight [kink] to the northern hairpin is shorter also and the pits are outside the circuit. Though a lot of the basic Airforce base facilities and ammenities are still there though sometimes renovated beyond recognition.

#3265 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 13:06

A couple more pics taken during the March 1960 meeting at Longford -

Posted Image
Brian Foley A40 and ? Cooper Morris Minor -

Posted Image
Brian Foley A40 being re-fueled in the pits

As much as i love BMC cars, I am fascinated to see the Sabbakat in the background..resplendent in orange...

JB

#3266 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 15:47

Thanks for giving us the ID of that car, Stan...

I was wondering what it was. Now you mention it's the Sabakat it's cleary by its tiny size and the way the intakes stick out the side. I was never aware it was that colour, conditioned by the colour it was painted in its later life.

#3267 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:39

Thanks Stan - hadn't picked that as the Sabakat!

Here is another Mallala photo - not sure of the date but it may have been a 1962 meeting.
I'll stick my neck out and suggest it's the start of a "Sports" Car race? :confused:
Posted Image
The only car I can readily identify is Stillwell's Monaco

#3268 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:05

Here is another Mallala photo - not sure of the date but it may have been a 1962 meeting.
I'll stick my neck out and suggest it's the start of a "Sports" Car race? :confused:
Posted Image

I reckon I have seen that No 12 Special around in circuit sprints and hillclimbs in the 70s and possibly 80s. Cannot remember who or what though. It must have been quick being on the front row of the grid.There is some pretty cars in that field.

Good to see the Austin 7 Club sign. They were almost certainly doing the timing as they still do today.

#3269 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:27

I have seen references to a circuit Fishermans Bend in this thread and others on Australian racing can someone [maybe Kaydee ]enlighten me as to the location of this circuit and whether a race was held there on 28 February 1958.
thanks and regards - Mike [fivestar]

#3270 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:00

Hi Mike,

On the 23rd of February 1958, the Fishermen's Bend circuit hosted the Victoria(n) Trophy meeting, the Trophy itself won by Stan Jones in his Maserati 250F.

The Fishermen's Bend track was laid out on the runways of the airstrip there, the runways roughly aligning with Todd Road and Wharf Road these days.

#3271 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:01

Many thanks David, although the photo I have is titled 28th February as below.
Can anyone identify the car. I believe its an Alta.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3272 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:40

That looks to me to be the ex-Tony Gaze Alta 2-litre Monoposto, probably being run by Bill Wilcox at that stage.

#3273 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:52

That's what i thought. thanks for the confirmation.

That looks to me to be the ex-Tony Gaze Alta 2-litre Monoposto, probably being run by Bill Wilcox at that stage.

#3274 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 14:11

Before it got an Austin Healey 4 engine and a Peugeot front end...

It went through a lot in a few short years.

#3275 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 15:19

I think at this stage it had a Holden engine...

#3276 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:30

Posted Image

Well Kaydee

I can see the Molina Monza still, red and still roofless - thank goodness. I can also see what appears to be the Don Swanton Lotus XI ..yellow nose band and fascinatingly back on the grid, the Jolly or maybe depending on the date of your pic, the ex-Jolly Lotus XV.

I am suspecting the picture may be 1961 on the basis that by 1962, Bryan Thompson who presumably is driving the Monza, had an ex-Stillwell T51 Cooper. However if it was 1961 Derek Jolly would be still driving the Lotus XV and one would assume it would therefore be alongdide Bib's Monaco on the front row.

I thought DJ retired early 1962, so if you can recall whether Derek Jolly was at the meeting or not, it will help fix the date.

JB

#3277 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:53

Originally posted bv kaydee
.....Here is another Mallala photo - not sure of the date but it may have been a 1962 meeting.
I'll stick my neck out and suggest it's the start of a "Sports" Car race?
Posted Image
The only car I can readily identify is Stillwell's Monaco.

Kevin, is that the Monza Holden behind Stillwell?

David, is my memory failing me? I'm recalling that Graeme told me there was a Healey engine in the lifetime of the car, simultaneously with the fitment of the Peugeot 203 front end, but it might have been a Holden engine and I'm confusing that issue with the life of the Platypus MG.

#3278 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 22:01

Kevin, is that the Monza Holden behind Stillwell?

David, is my memory failing me? I'm recalling that Graeme told me there was a Healey engine in the lifetime of the car, simultaneously with the fitment of the Peugeot 203 front end, but it might have been a Holden engine and I'm confusing that issue with the life of the Platypus MG.

I'm not swearing to it, but that's my recollection

And it does look like the Monza, during its Coad period, I would guess

#3279 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 22:25

Posted Image

The fins of Lou Molina's Monza are certainly conspicuous as they are in this poor picture showing the dustup at the hairpin bend at the end of the main straight, Fisherman's Bend 1958.

Posted Image

And here is another picture showing the start of the same race - that policeman's horse must be well trained, coping with a couple of 250Fs going past, not to mention the s/c MG Q type which was in a class of it's own when it came to a high pitched scream.
Posted Image

Edited by sandy, 14 May 2010 - 22:29.

Advertisement

#3280 cooper997

cooper997

• 762 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 23:14

I have seen references to a circuit Fishermans Bend in this thread and others on Australian racing can someone [maybe Kaydee ]enlighten me as to the location of this circuit and whether a race was held there on 28 February 1958.
thanks and regards - Mike [fivestar]

Mike (Fivestar),

The Light Car Club of Australia & Harley Club of Victoria held a combined car and motorcycle meeting called the 'Carnival of Motor Racing' at Fishersmen's Bend on Saturday & Sunday, February 22nd & 23rd 1958 (9 events per day). It was also an CAMS Gold Star championship meeting.

The photo of the #18 Alta is the then Bill Wilcox car with the programme listing a 1990cc engine capacity for its entry in the 6 lap, event 8 "A" Grade Racing Car Scratch Race on the Saturday. Many of the leading drivers and cars of the day were entered with Maseratis, Ferrari and Coopers to name but a few. Murray? Trenberth from South Australia, #15 Alta-Holden was also an entrant with its capacity listed as 2408cc.

The event 9, Gold Star 'Victorian Trophy' Race being held on the Sunday covering 28 laps had both Altas also entered.

Stephen

#3281 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 23:24

Many thanks Stephen,
If the capapcity of #18 was 1960cc it probably still had the Alta engine.
I think #15 Alta Holden, is the last post war F2 Alta built which was re engined with a Holden engine when it arrived in Australia. It also had alloy wheels in the Bugatti style.
rgds - Mike[Fivestar]

#3282 cooper997

cooper997

• 762 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 23:27

Kaydee,

Thanks for showing us more of your great photos. I enjoy seeing the Foley A40 at Longford in colour.

Stephen

#3283 cooper997

cooper997

• 762 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 00:04

Many thanks Stephen,
If the capapcity of #18 was 1960cc it probably still had the Alta engine.
I think #15 Alta Holden, is the last post war F2 Alta built which was re engined with a Holden engine when it arrived in Australia. It also had alloy wheels in the Bugatti style.
rgds - Mike[Fivestar]

No problem Mike,

The programme listing definitely states '1990' for capacity, it also lists it as 'Alta S/C' (so it was still supercharged). After years of use I'd not be surprised to find the original capacity to have grown after a rebuild or 2. But if correct, it was after the Wilcox ownership the major modifications began. Graeme Lowe's effort to restore the car always made it a pleasure to see at historic race meetings and hillclimbs in Victoria over many years, before he sold it.

Also if correct, the Trenberth Alta-Holden was originally the Peter Whitehead car you elude to, brought to Australia by Bib Stillwell in damaged condition.

Stephen

#3284 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:08

Moss Lotus at one of the Tasman meetings - has to be either Warwick Farm or Sandown but not sure when or where...
Any help?
Posted Image

#3285 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:12

The number plate on the Humpy Holden in the background is yellow. NSW?

Edited by Terry Walker, 16 May 2010 - 11:13.

#3286 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:25

Also tents and marquees in a grassed and flat area...

Sandown wasn't like that.

#3287 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:33

Also tents and marquees in a grassed and flat area...

Sandown wasn't like that.

I agree that it's most likely WF. Any idea which Tasman meeting?

#3288 peter grey

peter grey

• 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 14:41

Are we sure this is a Moss car?? I don't recall Moss driving a BRG Lotus in a Tasman series.... only RRC Walker blue

peter

#3289 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 15:17

That's a Junior - did he have a run in someone's?

#3290 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 21:59

The 18 Junior that was to become Paul Samuels', Warwick Farm 1961. Moss practised in this and in Tom Sulman's DB3S Aston Martin

#3291 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 22:02

Not sure and I can't source Britto's slides at the moment, which have pics of all these cars...

For a certainty this is 1961, not a Tasman meeting, but the International 100 and I'd say it's Leo Geoghegan's car.

#3292 kaydee

kaydee

• 339 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 00:31

Thanks everyone for the input which I think has resolved the "who and where".
The slide was labelled lightly in pencil - "Moss where?" and as Moss was normally No. 7 I didn't question that it may have been someone else.

However, the collective comments made me check the Jan 1961 WF International program and although it lists Moss as No 7 in a BLUE Rob Walker Lotus it also lists Paul Samuels as the driver of No. 7 GREEN Lotus FJ (entered by Jamiesons Aust P/L)
Another identity issue resolved - thanks once again to the combined resources of TNF!
Kevin

#3293 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:57

From post #3168
Posted Image

#3294 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:10

There you go... the differences really show up there...

The bigger wheels, the stripe around the nose has been pushed back from the front by the additional speed down the straight... and what's more, it's a totally different class in that part of the paddock, with Holdens giving way to Mainlines.

#3295 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:01

Thanks for giving us the ID of that car, Stan...

I was wondering what it was. Now you mention it's the Sabakat it's cleary by its tiny size and the way the intakes stick out the side. I was never aware it was that colour, conditioned by the colour it was painted in its later life.

Ray,

As far as i know the Sabakat never appeared in later colurs?

March Longford , Lowood June..final curtain

Please enlighten us re your memories of these later colours of which you speak

JB

#3296 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:23

When re-created by Graham Howard, it was then painted silver...

Did you never see it at an Historic meeting?

#3297 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:32

When re-created by Graham Howard, it was then painted silver...

Did you never see it at an Historic meeting?

I saw a silver Lotus 12 at Sandown in recent years and I scratched my head ..but I am sure you are referring in your orignal post, to historic times when you talk of colours... I certainly was.

The Sabakat never appeared orange after Longford March 1960 ..as far as I know...but then generally, I was there.

JB

#3298 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 20:32

No, Stan...

Keep this in mind, mate, I never saw a motor race until over two years after the demise of the Sabakat. The silver Lotus 12 you saw at Sandown would have been the re-creation, if you'd spoken to anyone on the scene you would have learned the history of the rebuild.

#3299 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:11

I saw a silver Lotus 12 at Sandown in recent years and I scratched my head ..but I am sure you are referring in your orignal post, to historic times when you talk of colours... I certainly was.

The Sabakat never appeared orange after Longford March 1960 ..as far as I know...but then generally, I was there.

JB

Hi JB

The last time the Sabakat was orange was when Ernie crashed and burnt it. Called Burnt orange?

Regards

Guy

Advertisement

#3300 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:18

Hi JB

The last time the Sabakat was orange was when Ernie crashed and burnt it. Called Burnt orange?

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy,

Yes.....what I was trying to say was, contrary to what Ray implied, the Sabakat was never any later colour other than orange..as u have just confirmed. and yes very much Burnt Orange very droll.

JB