Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8907 replies to this topic

#3401 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 826 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:47

Terrific to see unpublished colour shots, I've only ever seen a b/w of the Keran crash from the opposite angle in the magazines of the time (RCN from memory). Great shot of Brock with the flag too. Never chuck out old slides or negs - that shot of the Datsun might be the only colour shot out there........

Advertisement

#3402 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:30

Yep, that's a typical roll 'cage' of the time. Looks to me like Brock's car only has a half-cage too.

That crash destroyed John Keran's career - he broke his leg very badly.

Those are GREAT photos considering the old technology and the short lenses. And especially considering you were in the GA areas.

Bruce Moxon

HDT cars of the time had full alloy cages, I think that Harry even then realised those Toranas need all the help they could get to stiffen the chassis. As far as I am aware though most of the Falcons were 1/2 cage, though I stand corrected on that.

#3403 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:58

HDT cars of the time had full alloy cages, I think that Harry even then realised those Toranas need all the help they could get to stiffen the chassis. As far as I am aware though most of the Falcons were 1/2 cage, though I stand corrected on that.

Of course the Keran crash was two years prior to Brock's first victory though - 1970 (the first year of the XU1s at Bathurst) vs 1972. Maybe there were some lessons learned from that crash for later structural strengthening?

#3404 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 451 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:21

Of course the Keran crash was two years prior to Brock's first victory though - 1970 (the first year of the XU1s at Bathurst) vs 1972. Maybe there were some lessons learned from that crash for later structural strengthening?

Single frame Shots from my 8mm movie of the Keran car...1970

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3405 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:59

Back to Motor Racing

Patto in the ex-Stillwell 2.5 T51, about to dispose of McKay's 2.7 Brabham

Sandown 1963

Posted Image

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack

#3406 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 13:31

I can't remember when rollcages became mandatory, early 70s i think. But full cages were not compulsory until at least early 90s.
I logbooked a HQ very early in their days with a half cage.
Touring cars were very simple in those days, I am sure some Toranas ran with half cages, as did Chargers. The factory rollbars were bolt in half cage!! Even GpC cars were still occasionally raced with halfcages though most were full, alloy, cages. It was not until late 70s that any cars had side intrusion bars on the still alloy cages.
Steel cages were not used normally until Gp A. The Masterton XE was an exception though I am sure there was others. Alloy cages were only banned in the mid 90s. There is still a lot of HQs with them plus a lot of older tintop racecars and the occasionall GpN
Original App J and Improved production cars seldom had them, look at those pics of Beecheys Mustang, Geoghans Mustang etc. No cage.
Rollcage technology really started in the Moffat Mustang, Jane Camaro,Beechey HT days. While simple by todays standards they were a lot better.

#3407 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 14:00

I wouldn't know too much about touring cars, but in rally cars, in Tas anyway, we didn't see full roll cages until the late '70s/early 80s. Up until then it was pretty ad hoc as to whether you had one or not, and even then it would have been a hoop with a couple of back braces at best. 'Bond' roll cages were pretty much the norm back then.

#3408 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 17:26

It didn't work, Jim :lol:

#3409 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,001 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:05

Thanks Ray, yes I had forgotten you spelt his name with an 'a', I was thinking 'i' - too much time spent working in Canberra :rolleyes: . I like the Datto too, I had one at the time. Interesting it is running with its number plates, I notice other cars appear to have rego stickers but no plates.

My question about the officials was a little tongue in cheek, but this is the net and you never know!

All taken from GA areas sadly I had no access to restricted areas - just a kid with a camera. The one that looks like it was taken from the Tower was shot on the run down to Forrest's Elbow, the long lens (300mm? no exif in those days haha) gives the impression of heigth.

I especially like the state of the armco in 4 & 5, looks a bit rusty so might have been from previous year? :eek: I would hope not, but things were different then ..

I am also intrigued by the Falcon's cage (last shot), difficult to interpret in two dimensions ...

I will post up a few from the Dulux when I have a bit more time.

I only started Marshalling in the early 1990s....if I am the Mick being refered to :-) Great nostalgic Pics :wave:

#3410 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 451 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:39

[quote name='GreenMachine' date='May 28 2010, 00:34' post='4372869']
All taken at the same Bathurst ... These are the only useable Bathurst ones, sadly. The others were all taken with a stock 50mm lens and the action is too far away. I should have some decent B/W photos, but I am still looking for them.
Posted Image

3D is long time Ford Stalwart Murray Carter in Ford Falcon XY GTHO...The logo on the bonnet front is "Loctite is for nuts"
Finnished 6th in Class D and 10th Outright 1972. Towards the end of the race he went down the escape road at end of Conrod and hit a fence. His crew cut away the damaged rhf guard with an axe as it was rubbing on a tyre.

Edited by Ellis French, 29 May 2010 - 04:40.

#3411 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 791 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:00

Thanks Mick, yes, it was you I was thinking of!

Thanks Ellis. I was trying to work out who it was, I need to update my captions now :)

I still have difficulty trying to visualise that cage though, are there any interior shots that anyone knows of? It looks like he had a different cage to Moff - was Murray's car a factory car or did he prep it himself?

#3412 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:18

Thanks Ellis. I was trying to work out who it was, I need to update my captions now :)

I still have difficulty trying to visualise that cage though, are there any interior shots that anyone knows of? It looks like he had a different cage to Moff - was Murray's car a factory car or did he prep it himself?

Murray always prepped his own cars

#3413 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:16

"Patto in the ex-Stillwell 2.5 T51, about to dispose of McKay's 2.7 Brabham"

Nobody spotted my deliberate mistake.

It is of course, a T53

JB

#3414 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:17

Murray always prepped his own cars

I have heard a story that he ended up with factory hot bits on his cars, probably when he was running the XA. Apparently the Special Vehicles Dept. didn't have their own dyno at the time, so they used to head down to Cheltenham to use Murray's. With this arrangement, they used to give Murray some factory bits that he would use on his car. Because there weren't many Falcons running then against the Toranas, if the scrutes found anything 'suspicious' on the factory cars they would compare them against those on the car of 'Murray the struggling privateer'. They would of course be the same, so it was a win-win for both parties.

#3415 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,024 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:44

I have heard a story that he ended up with factory hot bits on his cars, probably when he was running the XA. Apparently the Special Vehicles Dept. didn't have their own dyno at the time, so they used to head down to Cheltenham to use Murray's. With this arrangement, they used to give Murray some factory bits that he would use on his car. Because there weren't many Falcons running then against the Toranas, if the scrutes found anything 'suspicious' on the factory cars they would compare them against those on the car of 'Murray the struggling privateer'. They would of course be the same, so it was a win-win for both parties.

It was always quite well known that Murray was the unofficial Ford entry with some backdoor Ford help. And he helped them in return. That is why a good operator private entry was always near the pace

#3416 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:37

It was always quite well known that Murray was the unofficial Ford entry with some backdoor Ford help. And he helped them in return. That is why a good operator private entry was always near the pace

Murray was a panel-beater and when things were ummm... a bit close...things could be ...ummm....massaged so that they suddenly fitted....
...if you get my drift... But it was all legal.......... :eek:

#3417 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 451 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 23:26

Murray ran a different cage in the same car in 1971
Murrays car is usually easily identified in photos as it was the only Phase 3 running with factory optioned twin external mirrors.
1972 .....
The first year open side exhausts were permitted.
The Phase 3's also were permitted to run the 15x7 Globe Daytona wheels (Originally destinned for the still born Phase 4.) in lieu of 14 x6.
They also opted not to run the front and rear spoilers which had been used in 1971 on the Phase 3's.

#3418 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:33

Getting back to Racing Cars:

Posted Image

Geoff Smedley has sent me this one... it's to show the twin plug setup he installed in John Youl's Cooper. As can be seen, he was much younger then!

Thanks, Geoff.

#3419 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:37

Motor Racing

Re, my sad picture of what were in that era, the world's fastest racing cars.

St Vincents Hospital Trophy 1963, Sandown Park ,Melbourne.

It was one of those occasions , as remarked upon previously by John Medley and Dick Willis re Patto's Bathurst perfomances , when GWP really - "had a go". He was against Bib Stillwell and David Mckay's 2.7 Brabhams and Davo's ex-Mclaren 2.7 Cooper. He picked off McKay, as he is about to do in my picture,he then stormed passed Davo and was setting out after Bib, when his car failed - it was a briliant, spectacular drive in an outdated less-powerful car and it has stayed in my memory ever since that day.... so long ago.

James Hunt used to talk of a car's body language, when a GP driver was trying hard and that concept certainly applied to GWP and the blue and white Cooper that afternoon. Even in my picture, I believe you can see the aggression of both car and driver, which is in direct contrast with the almost passive demeanour of David McKay and his newer and quicker Brabham.

That is how I choose to remember Bill Patterson.......

JB

Advertisement

#3420 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 13:56

It would be interesting, Stan, to look back through the writings of McKay and see what he had to say about Patto in that race...

Notwithstanding the fact that he was in the race and trying to win it, McKay generally gave all due credit where it was due.

#3421 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:32

Getting back to Racing Cars:

Posted Image

Geoff Smedley has sent me this one... it's to show the twin plug setup he installed in John Youl's Cooper. As can be seen, he was much younger then!

Thanks, Geoff.

Glad you could put the picture up Ray, I thought an explanation may be in order, firstly in 1963 the fad was to re-sleeve the 2.5 Climax to 2.7 litre chasing more H.P. but "bigger holes" were the American way and I was sure a better alternative could be found. Frank Hallum at Repco Research had been playing around with a twin plug head for one of Brabham's engines, using two distributors driven from the rear of each cam bank and couldn't make it work through an inaccurate spark put down to windup in the camshafts in the high rev range.
I preferred to stick with a man's toy, the magnito, and two of these more robust spark producers set up properly must be the answer. A total new drive was made up for a second maggy from the crank shaft protruding the front of the sump which allowed comfortable room within the confines of the T55 chassis and the head modified to accommodate a second plug. The initial effort seemed rewarding with a test day on Symmons Plains circuit the result was pleasing and being able to alter each magnito individually the differences were very noticeable. Living in Tasmania and being able to carry out this work undercover of our opposition was an advantage, I and my young family were living at Symmons Plains in those days and my workshop was a converted coachouse close to the main homestead where all the chassis work was carried out, but the big advantage I had was having full use of the family workshop (Bedford Machine Tools) where I was able to produce any part required. The final test for the engine was to take it all to Melbourne an place it on Repco's dyno at Dandenong to test the result. We were met by Frank Hallum who was very dubious about the whole thing, but some 4 hours later he confessed that our 2.5 Climax had shown better figures than any previous Climax including the fashionable 2.7 litre. The H.P. was up but more importantly the torque figures were so much improved. Those days of satisfaction have melted into oblivion and all that is left is a lot of frustrated old farts that look back and remember when....!!!! Smed.

#3422 cooper997

cooper997

• 873 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:49

Geoff,

A brilliant photo and fantastic to read your first hand account of some very clever engineering to make it all work. Many thanks for sharing. Please keep the photos and anecdotes coming.

Stephen

#3423 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:40

Geoff's sent me this pic from his time in the Far East...

It's Hengkie Iriawan in the original Elfin 600, his first drive of the car at the Batu-Tiga circuit at KL. This is to be posted in the thread about Hengkie, but Geoff will tell you interesting things he did to this car during Hengkie's ownership.

Posted Image

#3424 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:47

Fascinating story, Geoff

Did the car race with that set-up in 1964? And did it stay on the car when it was sold (to Arnold Glass)?

(I saw the car in NZ in 1964 and 1965 and never noticed anything funny about it...)

#3425 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 826 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:54

Great story Geoff. Did you ever have anything to do with the Iriawan 600C?

#3426 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 21:22

To give Geoff a greater chance to tell his stories, here's a couple more photos he sent me:

This is Max Stewart with his lanky frame too tall for the ex-Mildren 2.5 Brabham:

Posted Image

And this is a group at KL, all named on the bottom of the pic:

Posted Image

Love the bare feet! Would be good to get Peter Tett involved in this, actually.

#3427 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,024 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 21:50

That KL pic of the 2 lovely racing cars on the grid, with a Mini on the second row and Max Stewart in the Brabham with his head at least 8 " above the roll bar. Both very scarey, very dangerous. One would hope it wouldnt happen now.

#3428 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 23:15

At least the Mini wouldn't tangle wheels with the open wheelers...

Did you note the air intakes through those gaping holes (yes, 'holes', plural!) in the bonnet?

Note how much Geoff changed between 1964 and 1969. That time with Matich must have been hard on him!

#3429 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:18

Fascinating story, Geoff

Did the car race with that set-up in 1964? And did it stay on the car when it was sold (to Arnold Glass)?

(I saw the car in NZ in 1964 and 1965 and never noticed anything funny about it...)

Yes the engine remained in that form all through '64 including the full Tasman series that year and was still on the car when Arnold purchased it in '65.... Geoff

#3430 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:20

Not quite within Kaydee's timeframe being 1981 - but certainly a signficant historic racing car and driver - Reg Hunt Maserati 300S, at the original Sandown Park September. 1981.
The Dawson-Damer 2 litre Lotus 18 visible in the background.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JB

#3431 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:56

Ray,

As far as i know the Sabakat never appeared in later colurs?

March Longford , Lowood June..final curtain

Please enlighten us re your memories of these later colours of which you speak

JB

Best I could find

Regards

Guy
Posted Image

#3432 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:45

I mucked about with the pic a bit in Paint Shop Pro: auto colour balance, auto contrast, plus a bit of darkening. Not perfect, but colour's better.

Posted Image

#3433 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:32

:up: Thanks to both Guy and Terry

#3434 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:53

Taken at Tasman series race - Sandown Park 1976 (from memory)

John Cannon (who won the race)
Posted Image

John Davison's Matich
Posted Image

John Davison (white shirt), Paul Bernasconi (Red overalls) and according to my notes - David Purley (no shirt)
Posted Image

Vern Schuppan (Blue drivers overalls)
Posted Image

Ken Smith (NZ) Lola T3330
Posted Image

Part of the field lined up pre race
Posted Image

Kev Bartlett's Lola T400
Posted Image

#3435 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:02

There was no Tasman Series in 1976
(Correct use of the term is one of my hobby-horses :) )

#3436 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:09

Oran Park Series Production early 70's:

Couple from what was (from memory) the Toby Lee series - Series Production cars?

Graham Moore
Posted Image

Colin Bond
Posted Image

Doug Chiva Charger
Posted Image

Don Holland early:
Posted Image

Don Holland (New paint scheme)
Posted Image

John Goss Falcon
Posted Image

#3437 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:11

Sorry..."Rothman's Series"

Happy now???

Edited by scran, 01 June 2010 - 09:14.

#3438 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:23

Sports Sedans - Oran Park early 70's

2 Porsche 911's - Jim McKeown (Shell) and Bill Brown (from memory)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Later - Bill Brown's Grace Bros 911
Posted Image

Pete Geoghegan's Ford
Posted Image

Pat Peck's Torana
Posted Image

other views of the two porsches
Posted Image

Posted Image

Frank Ure's Torana
Posted Image

Edited by scran, 01 June 2010 - 09:24.

#3439 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:28

Oran Park Assorted:

Moffat's Mustang
Posted Image

The Milano's of Bruce Lear and Moss Anglis
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dick Johnston's XU-1
Posted Image

Henry Michell's Elfin (from memory)
Posted Image

Doug McArthur (can't remember - was it a Renmax?)
Posted Image

Advertisement

#3440 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:09

Yes, that's the right thing to do...

The Tasman Cup was contested over a seven or eight-race series in both NZ and Australia from 1964 to 1975.

#3441 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,073 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:15

Those (many) Porsches...

The red one with yellow stripe might have been Allan Hamilton's, but I'm not sure at all why I say that. It's not Bill Brown's, anyway. The orange one is his earlier car, which went on to become the Laurex car.

And yes, Doug Macarthur's car is a Rennmax. This is after the front wheels got their low profile tyres and the front guards were severely reduced in size.

#3442 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:26

[quote name='scran' date='Jun 1 2010, 18:53' post='4389029']

John Cannon (who won the race)
Posted Image

Andrew Miedecke on the far left wearing his Grace Brothers yellow and green gear. Andrew loaned/leased? his truck to John Cannon for the Australian rounds of the series and he and Bruce Cary prepared the March Cannon drove.

#3443 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:35

Ray,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't remember/confirm when I took the pics. I know it was pre 1975. I can't even confirm if they were all taken at the same meeting or not. Definately pre 74 I think. Having said that - Bill Brown raced a Carrera in 1973, as against a 911 - although I'm notsure if the Grace Bros car shown is a 911 or Carrera. Mckeown's car in 73 had changed colours from that shown.

I'm a great John Leffler fan (and have a few scans of his cars to come) and that McKeown colour scheme is certainly as the car appeared in a memorable race - the 1971 or 72 twighlight-night meeting held at Oran Park on Nov 6, when in the rain John tried everything to run down the McKeown 911 in the Narellan Cup for combined sports sedans and tourers.

I may have made an error in calling the Series Production races the Toby Lee Series, as in 1973 the Toby Lee was for sports sedans - and I remember Bill Brown winning a round in a Carrera (and have the Autrslain Competition Yearbook 1974 edition to prove it...).

Oh - I also found a picture of YOU in Racing Car News Jul/Aug 81 edition - the 20 year anniversary edition - "Ray Bell and The Magnificent Obsession" - remeber it?

Also has a pic of you in a clubman having retired - looks like at Bathurst??? Was it a very light/pale blue car with "Roamer" across the back (white letters on black?)?

#3444 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:06

A couple more from the Rothman's meeting at Sandown - John Leffler did a taped (I assume) interview explaining/exposing his Grace Bros Lola T400

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the Pits

Posted Image

And just pre-start

Posted Image

#3445 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:12

John Leffler - Mini

Several pics I have of John's Mini.

As a teenager, i slavishly saved pocket money so that at meetings I could go to the "Photo" tent and buy prints of John - while I can't confirm all of these, I suspect they are from "Motor Action" photographs (I have one print with a stamp on the back) so duely acknowledge copyright to that organisation.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In BMC colours

Posted Image
(Following what was the Ex-Barry Sharp Jag - then owned/driven by Bruce Taylor - Barry having "updated" to a Falcon)

Posted Image

#3446 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:17

John Leffler - Bowin P4a

Pre Grace Bros sponsorship:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Leading an F2 car during a race at Oran Park (Ian Ferguson I believe)...

Grace Bros colours
Posted Image
again leading an F2 car, this time at Amaroo

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a couple of my own (fuzzy - sorry) at the Driver to Europe series race at Amaroo
Posted Image

having come second in the round to Bob Skelton
Posted Image

Edited by scran, 01 June 2010 - 11:22.

#3447 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 619 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:22

It's a Buchanan body with fibreglass top. I have no recollecion of the car

At first I had to agree with David: doesnt appear in the programmed list in the Bathurst book, so a special find I thought, and another personal smack on the wrist for the author

However, in the results appears Bruce Maher Buchanan Holden. Given the company the pink car keeps in the photo above, with cars arranged in classes, my guess is Bruce Maher Buchanan Holden

Just new to this forum & have spent days looking over the wealth of information that has been uncoved.

I can remember very clearly Nat Buchanan having a display in one of the large halls at the 1958 Royal Easter Show where the Pink Buchanan Holden was on display along with other Buchanan items of interest.

It is amazing how many of the old photos of Oran Park's BP corner where you can still see the old track & in some of the photo's the flaggy barrier.

Where can I find instructions on how to attach Photos. Daniel Tracey

#3448 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 451 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:03

Where can I find instructions on how to attach Photos. Daniel Tracey
[/quote]

When you open the TNF section look towards top of page under....
Announcements
Important Topics
Attention..how to upload your photos

#3449 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 342 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:10

Doug McArthur (can't remember - was it a Renmax?)
Posted Image

A Rennmax like this one spotted at Mallala Historics , Easter this year.

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 02 June 2010 - 21:11.

#3450 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,024 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:12

Scran, some great pics. I reckon the Don Holland cars are 2 different cars as they are both factory GMH colors. Wasnt the color scheme on Graham Moores car terrible!
And Dicky in a Torana, even the trailer has Holden wheels.
I suspect most of those tintop pics are 71 and 72.
Some excellent 5000 pics.
Quiz. Of all those competitors in those pics who is still actively racing.