• Please log in to reply
8815 replies to this topic

#301 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:25

Ray,

Sorry to have to make a correction.

Yes, it was 1963, but "Fearless" John Surtees did not compete at Sandown that year, his place was taken by the "kansas City Flyer," Masten Gregory. The second Lola just visible is Gregory's.

I had quite forgotten that Jim Palmer drove a lowline under Yeoman Credit in that race - the race I always have referred to as "Lowline Heaven".

L. Davison T53 - ex-Yeomen Credit
B. Patterson T53 - ex-Stilllwell
J. Youl T55 - ex-Brabham/Works
J. Palmer T53- Yeoman Credit
C. Amon T53- ex Bruce Mclaren/Atkins
F. Gardener T53- ex Stirling Moss/Walker

Makes me excited still just typing it out!!

Sorry to be pedantic, but we must get this right for when Kaydee publishes his book of priceless photographs

Stan

Advertisement

#302 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,671 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:57

Beautiful photographs, kaydee. Thanks for sharing them.

#303 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 00:42

Some more photos taken at Sandown International meeting in 1963

Posted Image
Bruce McLaren polishing his goggles.

Posted Image
Stirling Moss in discussion ...

#304 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 00:51

Kaydee,

The top pic is definitely 1963, identifiable by the Cooper BM is standing next to.

Moss did not race after Easter 1962, so unless he is there as a spectator, your bottom pic must be March 1962

Stan

#305 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:12

Thanks Stan and Ray,

You guys are great at nailing down the details!
Regrettably I did not caption many of my slides thinking that I would "remember" the details!
Now of course find that it isn't so easy any more :confused: !!!

Kaydee

#306 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:36

Originally posted by kaydee
Posted Image
Bruce McLaren polishing his goggles.

That photo definitely belongs on this thread!

#307 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:45

JB in the pits at Sandown.............

Posted Image
I think this photo was taken at the Sandown meeting in '63

Posted Image
and this one in '64

#308 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:20

More brilliant pics kaydee

I agree with your dates...imagine a double World Chamion pushing his car...does he have a screwdriver in his hand?

Where are his media minders?

Stan

#309 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:29

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
More brilliant pics kaydee

I agree with your dates...imagine a double World Chamion pushing his car...does he have a screwdriver in his hand?

Where are his media minders?

Stan

How times have changed.................

#310 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:51

You're right there...

Fancy seeing an AT4 and a Thames in the pits today.

#311 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,230 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:03

Speaking the Thames in the back ground ,it think that was the Shell transporter that attended meetings with fuel in 44 gallons drums ,that can be seen in the pic.

Also Ray the bell housing you left at my place is still here has not been picked up yet.

#312 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:01

More personalities in the pits at Sandown - in '62 I think?...........
Posted Image
Harold Clisby and Phil Irving in deep discussion..............

Posted Image
Harold Clisby in the left background in the brown shirt and Gordon Bedson leaning on umbrella in right background.
Gordon was involved with the design of the Kieft cars (which Moss drove early in his career), then was involved in the design of the Meadows Frisky mini car and subsequently came to Adelaide where he worked for Harold Lightburn on the development of the Zeta sports car.

#313 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,700 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:23

It looks a lot like Phil Irving but I don't see a cigarette. :p :cool: :smoking:

They are great pics kaydee.

#314 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:15

Posted Image

Stunning pictures Kaydee....gold :up: Could that possiblly be Frank Gardner over the back left?? when did he start doing the terry towling hat thing??? its not terry, but is reminiscent of his hat treatment !!

#315 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 20:56

Originally posted by eldougo
Speaking the Thames in the back ground ,it think that was the Shell transporter that attended meetings with fuel in 44 gallons drums ,that can be seen in the pic.

Also Ray the bell housing you left at my place is still here has not been picked up yet.

I thought it was, too... Avgas anyone?

Looks like Dunlop upgraded their truck between '62 and '63 as well, that's an older Dodge (Fargo?) in the '62 pic. And that Esso sign on the tent, haven't seen that in a while!

Doug, I'll have to pick that up again some time, I haven't heard from the guy since!

#316 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:39

kaydee,

I must say Mr Bedson looks to be a gentleman of some class and style - leaning on his shooting stick as it were..

Also Kaydee, that is the first pic I have ever seen of Phil Irving, apart from the well known Repco publicity pic.

Just Awesome

Stan

#317 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:41

Another Sandown photo - probably 1965...........
Posted Image
The Esso pits - Jim Clark and Jack Brabham's cars and mechanics...

#318 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:39

That's right, 1965, and judging by the crowd I'd say it was the day Lex died...

#319 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:26

I'd agree Ray.

On raceday there would be a lot more pedestrian traffic into the pits, the entry being at the far right of photo. A few people heading back to the grandstand from the back of the track between races, but not what you would expect on Sunday.

Advertisement

#320 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:49

Can I go against the tide here and vote for that being a late Sunday post race photo....

I note the trophy sitting on top of the Esso drums ????

BTW, I've been enjoying the pics on this thread, and wonder where else any of us would have been able to see these pics.... I also wonder how many other great pics are stuck in boxes or in wardrobes/cupboards never to see the light of day.... so to speak...

#321 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:06

Leo, you're absolutely right... that is the trophy for the race that day!

Or it appears to be when compared to the pic of Jack holding the trophy on p31 of RCN...

So I guess a lot of people are away watching Beechey in the Mustang?

#322 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:53

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Leo, you're absolutely right... that is the trophy for the race that day!

Or it appears to be when compared to the pic of Jack holding the trophy on p31 of RCN...

So I guess a lot of people are away watching Beechey in the Mustang?

Ray, My experience with the Tasman Rounds at Sandown (1966 being my first) was that the crowds basically dispersed after the main race, since there were really on 2 exits, as you know.... one to springvale road... the other to Dandenong... and crowds were large for Tasman Races so exiting the venue was a slow process.

Another reason for the lack of people in the background of the shot could also relate to the way you had to cross the track itself near Shell corner to get to the back of the paddock.... which meant that you could only get to and from that area between races.

Some people who wanted to avoid the traffic jams stayed for what races were left on the program. Usually handicap races. Norm usually did run in these. Does RCN mention him running in an All Powers Handicap or something similar?

Hope I'm not off topic here.....

#323 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:27

As I read the report, there were races for:

Tasman cars
Holdens
1.5 racing cars
Touring cars
Sports cars

You and I both know that it's most likely that there would have been eight races on the day, so the report is deficient in that it only describes one of each. And there's no indication of the order of the races.

Does David Shaw have a programme?

#324 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 13:00

Originally posted by Ray Bell
As I read the report, there were races for:

Tasman cars
Holdens
1.5 racing cars
Touring cars
Sports cars

You and I both know that it's most likely that there would have been eight races on the day, so the report is deficient in that it only describes one of each. And there's no indication of the order of the races.

Does David Shaw have a programme?

Ray,

I still have a copy of the program for that Sandown meeting - Sunday Feb 21 1965.

There were only 5 events scheduled :
Race 4 was The Sandown International Cup - 54 laps - starting at 2.35 pm
Race 5 was Open Touring Car Scratch Race - 13 laps - starting at 4.15 pm

I can't remember exactly when I took the photo but I can only guess that it was probably taken after Touring car race as some of the spectators appear to be making their way back towards the pits?

Leo,

Yes, Norm Beechey was in the last race along with Bob Jane, Alan Moffat, Pete Geoghegan, and Sir Gawaine Baillie, etc etc

#325 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 14:14

Leo, all the more reason why some of us over this side of the world would welcome them in book or CD form with captions, and be happy to pay for them, just like with the US photos which Jerry Entin et al turn up for our pleasure. It is a different world for us raised on UKL/European racing in that period. Just think of Terry's book on CD, Round the Houses. It is important that this stuff in recorded and noted before the anno domini effect takes its toll on people or memories.

Roger Lund.

#326 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 23:54

I can't remember exactly when I took the photo but I can only guess that it was probably taken after Touring car race as some of the spectators appear to be making their way back towards the pits?

Kaydee, I assume that you are talking about the people drifting towards the left side of your shot. I would suggest that they are heading towards shell corner at the end of the main straight, which is where, as a spectator, you had to cross the track to leave the pit/paddock area. You would then end up near the southern end of the Grand stand.

#327 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 00:39

Leo, yes I agree with you, the people in the left background appear to be heading towards the track crossover point at Shell Corner to leave the circuit and that's why I think that the photo was probably taken after the touring car race.

Also, the lighting looks like it's fairly late in the afternoon and the mechanics appear to be fairly wound down and relaxed as if its near the end of the day.

#328 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 00:47

Kaydee,

I have been worried by your pic of Moss at Sandown and in particular, the person with his back to the camera in the driving suit.

Given that is 1962, I think it is fair to say that it is Jim Clark.

Stan

#329 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:08

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Kaydee,

I have been worried by your pic of Moss at Sandown and in particular, the person with his back to the camera in the driving suit.

Given that is 1962, I think it is fair to say that it is Jim Clark.

Stan

Stan, you could be right - but unfortunately I have no recollection if it was in fact Jim Clark.
In retrospect, I also think that the person on the left in the black shirt with his back to the camera may be Bruce McLaren?
(In hindsight it is a pity I didn't take a second photo from a different perspective.........)

Kevin

#330 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:51

In retrospect, I also think that the person on the left in the black shirt with his back to the camera may be Bruce McLaren?

Kaydee,

I think you are correct about Bruce Mclaren.....I hadn't picked up on that.. the person looks iike a boy to me, but at my age who doesn't?!

He would only have been 22/23 anyway in 1962..........

Did you see that race?

It was the hardest fought race I have ever seen...Brabham, Surtees & McLaren, in Lowlines, hard at it from go to whoa.....JB won by less than a second...strangley that race is all but forgotten now.....

Stan

#331 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:56

Originally posted by Leo D

BTW, I've been enjoying the pics on this thread, and wonder where else any of us would have been able to see these pics.... I also wonder how many other great pics are stuck in boxes or in wardrobes/cupboards never to see the light of day.... so to speak...

Many more pics i suspect, we will never know though...........

#332 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:37

Some B&W photos taken at Fisherman's Bend airfield in October 1954 -

Posted Image
Cisitalia - 1,090 cc - N. Borsari

Posted Image
Allard - 3,622 cc H. W. Hurst

Posted Image
Maybach - 4,300 cc - Stan Jones

#333 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:55

Excellent photos, Many thanks , Kevin.............

#334 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:35

Australian Grand Prix Meeting at Port Wakefield October '55

Posted Image
The "Dowidat Spanner Special" (otherwise known as a Cooper Bristol - 1971 cc)
Entered by Mrs J Coffey from NSW and driven by Stan Coffey.

#335 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,598 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:26

KayDee: You are right about Bruce McLaren being in the picture with Moss. It is him. I have really enjoyed all these great pictures. As I am sure all the forum members have. My only regret is that in 1973 when I had a chance to come for the Tasman Series, that I was afraid it would be a huge financial loss. Sid Taylor wanted to take the Trojan we had run in 1973 for Jody Scheckter to the series. We had no sponsorship to go there. Now of course after seeing all these great pictures, I sure wish I would have listened to Sid. No matter how much it would have cost. We would have been there for the series that started in January of 1974. Starting with the race at Levin.
At least one of our engines was at that race. Sid Taylor had lent Max Stewart one of our Alan Smith engines during the L&M Series in 1973 and that is the engine Max used to finish a fine 3rd at the opening round of the 1974 Series. Max Stewart also won two races in the 1974 series at Teretonga and at Oran Park and finished 2nd overall in the 1974 series, to Peter Gethin's winning the series.

#336 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:58

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
KayDee: You are right about Bruce McLaren being in the picture with Moss. It is him. I have really enjoyed all these great pictures. As I am sure all the forum members have. My only regret is that in 1973 when I had a chance to come for the Tasman Series, that I was afraid it would be a huge financial loss. Sid Taylor wanted to take the Trojan we had run in 1973 for Jody Scheckter to the series. We had no sponsorship to go there. Now of course after seeing all these great pictures, I sure wish I would have listened to Sid. No matter how much it would have cost. We would have been there for the series that started in January of 1974. Starting with the race at Levin.
At least one of our engines was at that race. Sid Taylor had lent Max Stewart one of our Alan Smith engines during the L&M Series in 1973 and that is the engine Max used to finish a fine 3rd at the opening round of the 1974 Series.

Hi Jerry, Yes I’m sure that you would have enjoyed participating in the Tasman Series. They were great times and re-discovering the pictures certainly brings back a lot of long forgotten memories that I am only too happy to share with Forum members.

Whilst I never competed at that level I was very fortunate to “pit crew” on a free lance basis for some of the leading Australian drivers. When I look back, I can only now appreciate how lucky I was to have such unlimited access to the Paddocks, Pits and Starting Grids at these meetings and of course the opportunity to meet and rub shoulders with some of the International drivers.

Imagine any of today's youngster being able to do that! Yes, they were certainly ‘the good ole days” of motor racing.

Kaydee

#337 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:21

The kid leaning on the back wheel of the Maybach is surely A J himself...

#338 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:43

Originally posted by Terry Walker
The kid leaning on the back wheel of the Maybach is surely A J himself...

Terry you could well be right ..... The photo was taken on 10-10-54 and AJ was born on 2-11-46. That would make him nearly 8 years old at the time .......and that does look about the age of the kid in the pic?

Kaydee

#339 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,884 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 13:43

But who's the Elvis impersonator in the cockpit?

There is a photo of AJ on the back of the 250F at Longford in '59 for comparison... it's in the AGP book, IIRC.

Advertisement

#340 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 21:40

Yes

There is no doubt that is yong Alan Jones standing alongside the Maybach and, from the body language bewtweeen the two, I assumed the person in the car was Stan Jones himself.

However, as it has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, Stan Jones was "built like a wrestler" whereas "Elvis" to use Ray's term, appears too slight of build to fit that description.

Notwithstanding this, the facial features are those of Stan and the picture deifnitely has a father/son vibe to it.

Stan Pattertson

#341 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 21:57

Stan, the youngster may well be AJ (probably is) but Ray's "Elvis impersonator" in the cockpit is definitely not Stan Jones - more likely a mechanic / helper. He is too young, the hair is too dark and the body build is too slim.
Compare him with Stan in the previously published photo below -
Posted Image

#342 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 22:40

Kaydee,

I belive you are correct....SJ looks much older in the 1955, (?), pic of Maybach III.

There could only be 18 months maximum between the the two pics I guess...

Your pictures continue to delight.....

Stan

#343 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:14

Note Morris Oxford and XK 120 Coupe

#344 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 13:26

Two photos taken in the pit area at the 1956 AGP meeting at Albert Park.
Posted Image
Ken Wharton's Maserati 250F

Posted Image
Owen Bailey's Lago Talbot (ex Chiron and Whiteford)

#345 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:23

More photos taken at Albert Park -
This time the Melbourne Grand Prix and Victorian Tourist Trophy meetings (held over two consecutive weekends) in November 1958
Posted Image
The Capitol Motors Ferrari of Arnold Glass being pushed.

Posted Image
Form up area with I think Stan Jones Maserati 250F, Bill Pitt D Type Jaguar and Bill Patterson Cooper?

#346 john ruston

john ruston

• 952 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 17:45

Any pic's of the two seater Alta's whilst they were in Australia?There were three 2 litre cars and not to much info

#347 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:53

Two photos taken in the pit area at the 1956 AGP meeting at Albert Park.
Posted Image
Ken Wharton's Maserati 250F

Posted Image
Owen Bailey's Lago Talbot (ex Chiron and Whiteford)

Nice photo if I could remember how to post photos I could post a few of the old mans Lago and this Customaline Ford at Albert Park.

#348 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:54

Originally posted by john ruston
Any pic's of the two seater Alta's whilst they were in Australia?There were three 2 litre cars and not to much info

Sorry John - only Alta photo I have is a single seater (with a Holden engine fitted) and this was included in Post #9 earlier in the thread.
What year were the two seaters in Australia as I don't seem to recall them?

#349 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 13:15

Originally posted by Robert Bailey

Nice photo if I could remember how to post photos I could post a few of the old mans Lago and this Customaline Ford at Albert Park.

That would be great Robert!
I remember seeing the race with all of the Ford Customlines - but unfortunately I don't think that I took any photos!
I know posting photos is a bit of a pain if you haven't done it for a while but check out the "stickies" at the top of TNF to refresh your memory.

#350 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 14:36

What year were the two seaters in Australia as I don't seem to recall them?

1949-date :D