Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8719 replies to this topic

#3451 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:15

Don't have that issue, scran... what month is it, July?

Do you have pics of Alan and Lyn Vincent? They were close friends of Leffo and owned the Bowin IIRC. Tragically died too young, but such nice people while they were with us.

The Elfin trailing Leffo at Amaroo is Jack Bono, and it is Ian Fergusson (note the double 's') in the Bowin F2 car.

As for Andrew, I couldn't work out why he'd be there like that, but I thought it was him. Thanks, Paul, for the explanation.

Edited by Ray Bell, 01 June 2010 - 23:21.

Advertisement

#3452 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:26

Originally posted by fredeuce
A Rennmax like this one spotted at Mallala Historics , Easter this year.

Posted Image

That's quite a bit different to Doug Macarthur's...

Apart from the appearance of the side air entry at the rear of the cockpit being larger, the front guards are of the original type required to house the larger diameter original tyres.

And it's most likely a simple 4-cyl engine, probably a BMW as raced by Ray Hanger and John Fraser.

A comment was made about the 'Toby Lee' series and Series Production. The big annual Series race at Oran Park was at one time sponsored by Toby Lee.

#3453 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 00:16

Where can I find instructions on how to attach Photos. Daniel Tracey

When you open the TNF section look towards top of page under....
Announcements
Important Topics
Attention..how to upload your photos

Thank Ellis, will work through the how to & see what happens. Daniel

#3454 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 336 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 00:22

That's quite a bit different to Doug Macarthur's...

Apart from the appearance of the side air entry at the rear of the cockpit being larger, the front guards are of the original type required to house the larger diameter original tyres.

And it's most likely a simple 4-cyl engine, probably a BMW as raced by Ray Hanger and John Fraser.

A comment was made about the 'Toby Lee' series and Series Production. The big annual Series race at Oran Park was at one time sponsored by Toby Lee.

Correct Ray, this one has a 2 litre BMW engine. Was entered/driven by Jim Foulis of Victoria.

What driveline was used in the Doug Macarthur car?

#3455 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:01

Ray:

No re Alan Vincent. I remember seeing the VALE in RCN when he died.

The RCN issue was July/Aug 81 - the 20th Anniversary edition of RCN.

If you PM me with a postal address I can photocopy it and send to you if you want.

I remember at one stage Doug had a V8 in the back of the Renmax - and it had dual "periscope" like air boxes. They are not evident in this so can't recall if the car had a smaller engine at this stage or just didn't have the air boxes fitted.

I agree that the two Don Holland cars could well be two different cars - I suspect the pics were taken a year apart, but can't confirm it.

And you certainly never missed Gaham Moore's XU1!!!

One race I do remember well was the 100 lapper on the old short circuit. Colin Bond in the Dealer team XU1 had lead most of the race, but two laps from home (IIRC) the throttle cable either loosened or broke and Doug Chivas and Leo Geoghegan in the two "works" chargers managed to run him down and finish 1-2, Bond limping over for third. Of course Doug claimed he would have caught Bond anyway!!!

Some other memories were some of the great Sports Sedan races of the era - the big V8's against the three 911's of Bill Brown, McKeown and Brian Foley (who only raced the 911 for 1 season from memory before changing to the Alfa), Moffat in the repainted Brut 33 Mustang (I was there the day of the famous "peanut" incident), Graham Moore in the V8 Cortina, Bryan Thompson's VW etc.

Also, Lella Lombardi in an F5000 (T330) chasing either Big rev Kev or Max Swewart (she DNF's I think). Bob Muir in that beautiful blue T300, Matich in his F5000 car, John Leffler in Max Stewart's March 722 F2 car leading Carry Cooper in the Elfin MR5 F5000 car........great days of Australian racing........... :up:

Anyone remember the match races at Amaroo in the early 70's? The fastest two Series Production GTHO's, XU-1 and Chargers doing a series of three lap races - each race taking turns for grid positions (i.e - race 1 Holden front row, Ford second row, Chrysler third row. Race 2 Ford front, Chrysler second, Holden third. Race 3 Chrysler front, Holden second, Ford 3rd)? great stuff!!

#3456 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:06

Ray:

No re Alan Vincent. I remember seeing the VALE in RCN when he died.

The RCN issue was July/Aug 81 - the 20th Anniversary edition of RCN.

If you PM me with a postal address I can photocopy it and send to you if you want.

I remember at one stage Doug had a V8 in the back of the Renmax - and it had dual "periscope" like air boxes. They are not evident in this so can't recall if the car had a smaller engine at this stage or just didn't have the air boxes fitted.

I agree that the two Don Holland cars could well be two different cars - I suspect the pics were taken a year apart, but can't confirm it.

And you certainly never missed Gaham Moore's XU1!!!

One race I do remember well was the 100 lapper on the old short circuit. Colin Bond in the Dealer team XU1 had lead most of the race, but two laps from home (IIRC) the throttle cable either loosened or broke and Doug Chivas and Leo Geoghegan in the two "works" chargers managed to run him down and finish 1-2, Bond limping over for third. Of course Doug claimed he would have caught Bond anyway!!!

Some other memories were some of the great Sports Sedan races of the era - the big V8's against the three 911's of Bill Brown, McKeown and Brian Foley (who only raced the 911 for 1 season from memory before changing to the Alfa), Moffat in the repainted Brut 33 Mustang (I was there the day of the famous "peanut" incident), Graham Moore in the V8 Cortina, Bryan Thompson's VW etc.

Also, Lella Lombardi in an F5000 (T330) chasing either Big rev Kev or Max Swewart (she DNF's I think). Bob Muir in that beautiful blue T300, Matich in his F5000 car, John Leffler in Max Stewart's March 722 F2 car leading Carry Cooper in the Elfin MR5 F5000 car........great days of Australian racing........... :up:

Anyone remember the match races at Amaroo in the early 70's? The fastest two Series Production GTHO's, XU-1 and Chargers doing a series of three lap races - each race taking turns for grid positions (i.e - race 1 Holden front row, Ford second row, Chrysler third row. Race 2 Ford front, Chrysler second, Holden third. Race 3 Chrysler front, Holden second, Ford 3rd)? great stuff!!

From memory it was the clutch that died on Bond,s XU1

#3457 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:54

Re Doug McArthur's Renmax - I seem to remember it being referred to as a Renmax Repco - hence my thoughts that it was a V8.

Ray Hanger raced a Renmax BMW around the same time.

I also have a pic taken at Amaroo of Fred Gibson in the Road and Track Chev - big red beast. Anyone remember it? Will try and scan/post (but it ain't real clear)

I can't be sure about Bond's demise. I'm pretty sure it was the last round of the 1971 Toby Lee Series race.............

Edited by scran, 02 June 2010 - 03:57.

#3458 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:09

I tried to be subtle about it...

'Rennmax' is spelled 'Rennmax'. Yes, Doug had a BMW for a short time, then fitted Leo Geoghegan's Repco V8 from the Lotus 39.

I don't think there's any need to worry about the latter days of the Matich/Allen Traco/Elfin, but others might like it.

#3459 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:33

Another picture of Reg Hunt and the 300S.

We can also see Stan Jones' former tuning wizard, Otto Stone to the right in blue.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JB

Advertisement

#3460 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:20

Posted ImageRon Thorpe at Huntley Hill Climb 1959/1960.Posted Image

#3461 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:24

Old Ron's an enthusiast through and through...

He's one of the movign forced behind the Inverell Transport Museum and has a number of old cars of various types. It's amazing to think that he raced this very car at Warwick Farm.

#3462 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:59

RENNMAX

RENNMAX

RENNMAX

RENNMAX

:rolleyes:

#3463 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 602 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:09

Spent some time in the Navy?

Colin's demise was the selector in his gearbox - a nylon bush broke and stranded him just before the top of the Dogleg. He'd started from the back of the grid, as he'd been away at a rally on Saturday.

Sigh. Oran Park - last of Sydney's race tracks with character.

Bruce Moxon

#3464 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:09

Fred Gibson at Amaroo

Posted Image

Ray,

The magazine I refer to is July/Aug 1981 - Volume 21 Numbers 1 and 2 - as stated the 20 years anniversary (1961-1981) edition.

The article by/about you was on page 46/47. I must admit - I assumed by the tone etc of the article that it was written by you.

Offer of a photocopy still stands if you want it.

#3465 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:09

It was written by myself, yes...

I've just found a copy of that issue. It's part of a section devoted to former and then present contributors' recollections of times in racing during the magazine's lifetime.

#3466 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:29

Is this the Rennmax at the bottom of this page?
http://www.racingspo...1970-01-24.html

#3467 proviz

proviz

• 208 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:40

That is the Rennmax-Repco, I believe.

#3468 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:43

That is actually the other Rennmax Repco...

The 5-litre version originally raced by Lionel Ayers and then by Jim Phillips. It was still owned by Ayers at this time, but I think the picture is of Phillips.

This is the car with the 'periscopes', not the Macarthur car. Also, the picture that shows the Rennmax above is in Repco form, it had the higher profile tyres when it had the BMW engine and thus not so smooth a line to the tops of the front guards.

Very few pics about of the car, but I found one on the cover of RCN in '72 that shows no periscopes (as I thought).

Edited by Ray Bell, 02 June 2010 - 12:59.

#3469 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 13:06

Okay, and the one at the bottom of this page?
http://aussieroadrac...m/Winton05.html

#3470 Wirra

Wirra

• 884 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 13:51

Winton, circa '76.

Posted Image

#3471 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 14:39

Originally posted by David Shaw

Yes, David, that's it...

Peter's photo above is from the Gibson era too, Paul drove it mostly, but I think Carl had a go too.

#3472 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 20:54

That is actually the other Rennmax Repco...

The 5-litre version originally raced by Lionel Ayers and then by Jim Phillips. It was still owned by Ayers at this time, but I think the picture is of Phillips.

This is the car with the 'periscopes', not the Macarthur car. Also, the picture that shows the Rennmax above is in Repco form, it had the higher profile tyres when it had the BMW engine and thus not so smooth a line to the tops of the front guards.

Very few pics about of the car, but I found one on the cover of RCN in '72 that shows no periscopes (as I thought).

So Lionel ran this after the MRC Repco?

#3473 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 22:50

Yes, he did...

The MRC was also a Britton-built car from the SR3 jigs. Just as the previous MRC (with Ford Twink) was a Britton-built copy of a Lotus 23.

#3474 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 23:37

Brian Darby takes good photographs

#3475 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 23:45

Ray - thanks for clearing that up.

Doug's car never ran with the periscopes from what you said, so I must have been confusing it with the Lionel Ayres car.

Now - from what you said above - what I know/knew as the Road and Track car of Fred Gibson was originally raced by someone else under it's original name - i.e and Elfin.

Thanks

Edited by scran, 02 June 2010 - 23:47.

#3476 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 336 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 00:00

Posted ImageRon Thorpe at Huntley Hill Climb 1959/1960.Posted Image

Great old pics. So Ron is and old hot rodder after all.

Any information on what drive-line was in that deuce roadster? My guess would be "Y" block Ford.

Edited by fredeuce, 05 June 2010 - 04:54.

#3477 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:37

Almost certainly...

A check of the Warwick Farm programme would give a clue. Or the Huntley Hill programme. Or phone Ron at Inverell.

#3478 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:06

Almost certainly...

A check of the Warwick Farm programme would give a clue. Or the Huntley Hill programme. Or phone Ron at Inverell.

Helio Ray, in my photo album from 1960 I have Ron's car listed as a Ford V8, not sure if Ron built this car from scratch or may of purchased it from the Algie brothers who were from the Illawarra area, anyway Ron at the time owned a Wrecking Yard at Figtree called "Thorps Bargain Barn"

Hope that this helps & stimulates comment.

Daniel Tracey

#3479 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:43

Is that true? The 'Bargain Barn' was a wrecking yard?

I always thought it was some kind of junk shop or something. I guess it was...

A 272 would be a reasonably accessable thing for him to fit then.

Advertisement

#3480 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:36

Racing at Oran Park in the Mid 1960, can any one put names to the Drivers & Cars, looking at the safety wall would this be the first meeting on the extended track.Posted Image

#3481 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:29

Old Ron's an enthusiast through and through...

He's one of the movign forced behind the Inverell Transport Museum and has a number of old cars of various types. It's amazing to think that he raced this very car at Warwick Farm.

Ray,
it is even more amazing that Ron raced this car at the Windsor RSL Speedway circa 1960 in a NSW Hot Road championship race! He told me that the meeting organisers wouldn't let him race the car without a top, so he grafted a top onto the car and finished 3rd, IIRC.

#3482 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:40

Racing at Oran Park in the Mid 1960, can any one put names to the Drivers & Cars, looking at the safety wall would this be the first meeting on the extended track.Posted Image

Now that is a great period action shot. Cars loose out of the corner and drivers leaning into the corner.
Mind you the driving attire and lack of rollbars and harnesses would keep me well out of them.

#3483 john medley

john medley

• 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:48

Just to tantalize you: the first won an Australian Grand Prix and its driver raced a Formula 1 car(well, Grand Prix car...) in Australia and a Formula 3 car in Europe, the Austin 7 chassis in the second was everyone's hero, the third Y Block car now lives in South Australia but ran lots at Bathurst and elsewhere in the 50s and its driver graduated to a Lotus 20 on hie purchase but crashed it
Great photo!! Where from?

#3484 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:35

Just to tantalize you: the first won an Australian Grand Prix and its driver raced a Formula 1 car(well, Grand Prix car...) in Australia and a Formula 3 car in Europe, the Austin 7 chassis in the second was everyone's hero, the third Y Block car now lives in South Australia but ran lots at Bathurst and elsewhere in the 50s and its driver graduated to a Lotus 20 on hie purchase but crashed it

When I was a Fire Marshall in the early days at Oran Park I purchased it in the pit area, it is not a Lance Ruting photo that I do know, other than that sorry lost in time.

#3485 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:39

So the Patterson/Brydon/Jon Martin TC Special in front. Don't know the A7, but the Glyn Scott Holden in third?

#3486 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:19

Would it not be more accurate to say.."part won an AGP" ....was Australia's fastest driver in the 1959-1964 era and won a Gold Star, when it actually meant something ?

JB

#3487 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:39

If the first car won an AGP in 1939 driven by A. Tomlinson and then progressed as David says to eventually Barry Collerson who sold it in 1958 ? which is too early for Oran Park so is it Barry Ekins driving it ?
Car no. 2 has to be the George Murray Austin 7 special.
Is the third car now known as the Jag Ford, originally the Jack Neal Jaguar Special but did it have the Yblock in it in this pic ?

#3488 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 13:41

Yes, the second car is George Murray...

But the rest loses me.

#3489 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,756 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 14:01

A few more pics from Geoff Smedley:

Posted Image

This is the twin magneto engine Geoff modified for John Youl. The engine is shown on Repco’s dyno in 1963, It gives a clear view of the setup and shows how, just by changing the sump, reverts to normal setup.

I remarked earlier on the Mini so high up on the grid... here's the team of them:

Posted Image

Geoff's comment:

Don’t knock the Mini for being on the grid in K.L. that’s where it qualified for the race, it was one of 3 built for the Rothmans 6-hr. touring car race held in Malaysia in June 1968. Never being a fan of ”tintops,” when asked what sort of car could be used to represent Newton Racing in the event, and with lack of experience in this field I blindly said Mini Cooper“S”, the reason being Alan Davis, a very respected “S’ driver that was already driving under the Newton banner, it would be easier to incorporate his 1275 into a team of 3 needed to cover 3 different classes in the event, a 999cc the 1275 and a 1370cc.

Even before the decision was finally made, 2 new Mini Coopers were delivered to the Singapore workshop. The very next day and work began immediately into “bastardising” ( as it is referred to today) these bricks into something competitive for the race, which would happen in about 4 weeks time.

First the stripped body shells were relieved of every bit of unwanted metal and other useless materials, the seams were cut from the bodies and all solid welded, it was so nice the sport was still open to mechanical innovation in that part of the world and allowed for the production of what was then to be regarded as among the fastest Minis in the world.

It is not my intention to list all the modifications these 3 Mini’s had lavished on them, just lets say it was enough for our lead car, the 1370cc one driven by Steve Harvey and Terry Hughes, to win the 6 hr. endurance by a margin of 13 laps over our second placed car, the 1275 of Alan Davis and Ken Nelson. With less than 15 minutes to go, the 999cc car of Bill Dreyer and P.T. Wong was running a comfortable 3rd place when the distributor points actually broke, so this might give some reason as to why the Alan Davis (46) car is on grid 3. Geoff.

And they did have crossflow heads, justifying the holes in the bonnet. Of interest, their preparation got a mention in a British magazine:

Posted Image

It wasn't just the Minis in his care at the time, there was also the ex-Mildren Brabham as shown a couple of pages back driven by Max Stewart. Allan Grice also drove this car:

Posted Image

Obviously great times, Geoff. Thanks for the pics.

Edited by Ray Bell, 04 June 2010 - 14:05.

#3490 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 21:17

What ever happened to Ray Heffernan Cooper Ford which inverted on the track at BP in 1963, talking to Ray at Warick Farm just after he purchased this car he informed me that it was originaly in the Rob Walker stable.

Do not know if this is true or not but the car was painted in the correct colours of Rob Walker, can any one fill in the history of this car.

#3491 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 21:30

If the first car won an AGP in 1939 driven by A. Tomlinson and then progressed as David says to eventually Barry Collerson who sold it in 1958 ? which is too early for Oran Park so is it Barry Ekins driving it ?
Car no. 2 has to be the George Murray Austin 7 special.
Is the third car now known as the Jag Ford, originally the Jack Neal Jaguar Special but did it have the Yblock in it in this pic ?

Dick I think that you are correct in stating that it is Barry Ekins driving the MG, as can be seen in the photo that I resized the surname begins with an E, was the car Supercharged?

Posted Image

#3492 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 336 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 22:28

Here are some modern pics of the Jag-Ford at Lobethal in 2008. My cousin now owns the car. Regularly peddled by Doug Lehmann.

My guess is the TC special in front is indeed supercharged. With the large single SU carb way outside the engine bay there would be more than enough room to fit a supercharger in between.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3493 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:20

What ever happened to Ray Heffernan Cooper Ford which inverted on the track at BP in 1963, talking to Ray at Warick Farm just after he purchased this car he informed me that it was originaly in the Rob Walker stable.

Do not know if this is true or not but the car was painted in the correct colours of Rob Walker, can any one fill in the history of this car.

John Schroder owned it for many years when its previous Rob Walker history was proven, he partly restored it, sold it to Paul Moxham who completed the restoration then sold it to a museum in the US where it still is.

Thanks for clearing up the history on the Jag Ford, it looks a lot tidier now than it did all those years ago at Oran Park.

The TA/TC Special certainly had quite a history, Barry Ekins was apparently a supercharging guru, in the pic he looks as if he is starting to crank on some opposite lock to cope with the sudden burst of power from the blown engine. After Barry Ekins it went through a period of "modernisation" with a Holden engine and IFS. Last weekend I was informed how much of the original Tomlinson car remains with its current owner, sadly just the centre section of the chassis. Part of the Mildren built monoposto body also remains.

I thought there was a post on TNF some time ago from someone who knew the whereabouts of the George Murray Austin, does anyone remember ?

Great pic though !

#3494 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:42

To Quizmaster John Medley ; Now that we have all had a go can you reveal which F1 car and F3 car Barry Ekins drove or did you mean Barry Collerson ?

Can you also reveal the identity of the JagFord driver who graduated to a Lotus 20 on hp ?

#3495 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:49

Geoff, I presume you where firing those magnetos one behind the other, a couple of crank degrees.I can believe the power you found and it was probably smoother at high RPM too making life a bit easier on cranks etc.
This is ofcourse what the fuel drag engines do these days to try and burn all the fuel in the chamber from both sides.
Though these days on that sort of engine i suspect that a MSD type ignition would work as well.

#3496 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 00:59

[quote name='Dick Willis' date='Jun 5 2010, 09:42' post='4395699']
To Quizmaster John Medley ; Now that we have all had a go can you reveal which F1 car and F3 car Barry Ekins drove or did you mean Barry Collerson ?

Thought I might step into the breach at this point and I.D.the first two as Barry Collerson followed by George Murray. I guess Baz was having a one off steer in the MG. The GP car refered to would have been the Large Tablet that Baz had for a while.

Edited by kevinbartlett, 05 June 2010 - 01:02.

#3497 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:14

John Schroder owned it for many years when its previous Rob Walker history was proven, he partly restored it, sold it to Paul Moxham who completed the restoration then sold it to a museum in the US where it still is.

Thanks for clearing up the history on the Jag Ford, it looks a lot tidier now than it did all those years ago at Oran Park.

The TA/TC Special certainly had quite a history, Barry Ekins was apparently a supercharging guru, in the pic he looks as if he is starting to crank on some opposite lock to cope with the sudden burst of power from the blown engine. After Barry Ekins it went through a period of "modernisation" with a Holden engine and IFS. Last weekend I was informed how much of the original Tomlinson car remains with its current owner, sadly just the centre section of the chassis. Part of the Mildren built monoposto body also remains.

I thought there was a post on TNF some time ago from someone who knew the whereabouts of the George Murray Austin, does anyone remember ?

Great pic though !

Is there any History of the Ray Heffernan Cooper Ford prior to Ray purchasing the car other than it was a Walker car, now that history would be interesting as around that time both Moss & Trintignant drove for him.

Trintignant drove a Cooper in the 1959 Monaco GP which had spoke wheels for Rob Walker as per the "BP Book of Motor Racing" dated 1959 which cost me 11/3pence to buy.

Daniel

#3498 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:20

Len Deaton bought it in England where it had been fitted with a 105E engine and brought it to Australia racing it here as a Formula Junior and I think advertising it as such before selling it to an Ian Wright who later sold it to Heffernan.

#3499 john medley

john medley

• 1,160 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:39

TNF has done it again: even though Barry Ekins name is on the car it looks like Barry Collerson driving the ex Tomlinson chassis as described by Dick Willis, George Murray's Weberised BMC A engined Austin 7 Special then Jim Larkin in the Jag Ford. Jim Larkin I was told by Barry Lake raced on a shoestring traded the Jag Ford on a hire purchase Lotus 20 had 3 jobs to fund it and when he crashed it at I think Warwick Farm was rushed to hospital with quite serious injuries telling Barry who went with him in the ambulance to go back and locate his expensive driving shoes torn off in the accident. The Barry Collerson cars included F3 Cooper in Europe and as KB says Large Tablet in Oz

Jock Mclean's heart attack occurred in the GMurray car, Jock Mclean's son has posted here. Perhaps that was your source re whereabouts, Dick?

Advertisement

#3500 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:11

TNF has done it again: even though Barry Ekins name is on the car it looks like Barry Collerson driving the ex Tomlinson chassis as described by Dick Willis, George Murray's Weberised BMC A engined Austin 7 Special then Jim Larkin in the Jag Ford. Jim Larkin I was told by Barry Lake raced on a shoestring traded the Jag Ford on a hire purchase Lotus 20 had 3 jobs to fund it and when he crashed it at I think Warwick Farm was rushed to hospital with quite serious injuries telling Barry who went with him in the ambulance to go back and locate his expensive driving shoes torn off in the accident. The Barry Collerson cars included F3 Cooper in Europe and as KB says Large Tablet in Oz

Jock Mclean's heart attack occurred in the GMurray car, Jock Mclean's son has posted here. Perhaps that was your source re whereabouts, Dick?

Thanks all for the info on the Heffnan car, nows theres a name from the past Barry Lake, I worked with Barry at Geoghegans in late 1969/70 in the Lotus Section.