Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8751 replies to this topic

#3501 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:44

TNF has done it again: even though Barry Ekins name is on the car it looks like Barry Collerson driving the ex Tomlinson chassis as described by Dick Willis, George Murray's Weberised BMC A engined Austin 7 Special then Jim Larkin in the Jag Ford. Jim Larkin I was told by Barry Lake raced on a shoestring traded the Jag Ford on a hire purchase Lotus 20 had 3 jobs to fund it and when he crashed it at I think Warwick Farm was rushed to hospital with quite serious injuries telling Barry who went with him in the ambulance to go back and locate his expensive driving shoes torn off in the accident. The Barry Collerson cars included F3 Cooper in Europe and as KB says Large Tablet in Oz

Jock Mclean's heart attack occurred in the GMurray car, Jock Mclean's son has posted here. Perhaps that was your source re whereabouts, Dick?

Pity the poor Historian ! Trying to sort out the driver of the MG, glad you John and KB could identify Barry Collerson.

Advertisement

#3502 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:17

Ray,
Those Newton Racing Minis are interesting. I note the reference to the use of crossflow heads in your text and in the extract from the article the reference to "Alexander modified heads." As I understand it there was an Alexander cross flow head which was a 7 port design with the 4 inlet ports at the front and 3 exhaust at the rear with the centre 2 exhausts siamesed as they were from the factory.

That arrangement puts the carbs out the front. No real sign of that here. Curiously these cars have what appears to be a pair of air intakes sticking out through the bonnet suggestive of a single downdraught Weber configuration on a standard 5 port head. I wonder if those holes in the front of the bonnet were there to increase the air flow for cooling purposes given the climate they were racing in and also given the mods to the standard grille?

Any thoughts?

#3503 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:30

Is there any History of the Ray Heffernan Cooper Ford prior to Ray purchasing the car other than it was a Walker car, now that history would be interesting as around that time both Moss & Trintignant drove for him.

Trintignant drove a Cooper in the 1959 Monaco GP which had spoke wheels for Rob Walker as per the "BP Book of Motor Racing" dated 1959 which cost me 11/3pence to buy.

Doug Nye recently (well, in the last 10-20 years) identified the Deaton/Heffernan car as the actual Argentine GP winner - the first Cooper to win a WDC Grand Prix

The one with wire wheels on the back races in European historic events with John Harper from time to time

#3504 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:45

The Walker/Deaton/Heffernan et al Cooper was the first Cooper I sat in, in John Schroder's ownership. If I recall correctly, one of its distinguishing features was the additional inlets either side of the radiator inlet, clearly visible on the Moss Argentine GP car

#3505 2Bob

2Bob

• 401 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:05

Len Deaton bought it in England where it had been fitted with a 105E engine and brought it to Australia racing it here as a Formula Junior and I think advertising it as such before selling it to an Ian Wright who later sold it to Heffernan.

I 'pit crewed' for an Ian Wright in a rear engined car a couple of times at Oran park. Presumably this Cooper! Must have been 1963 - 1965 I reckon. Ian lived in the St ives area I think and kept the car in a sort of garage space under the house. May well have been his parents house I think. At the time I was a student (part-time) at Uni of NSW and was a member of Uni NSW car club so I imagine that Ian Wright would have been a member too. My recollection (not to be trusted at the best of times though) was that the car had a Citroen based gearbox which gave quite a bit of trouble.

#3506 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 576 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 00:36

Dick I am 90% certain it is Leon Thomas's car. The pit is at Bathurst, 100%. I shall talk with John Bruderlin to confirm the year. Bruderlin and Thomas (pre Lynx) bought the late Jimmie Johnson's cigar body moulds after his demise at Coona'. And Leon drove one for a short while, numbered 132.

Posted Image

I remember this car running in the early 1960's at Huntley Hill Climb with John Bruderlin driving it, note on my attached photo the size of wheels & tyres, they appear to be the same as the colour photo.

The colour of the car I remember was then a very dark gold allmost brown colour, the car at this stage of it's life was very much showing it's age, hope this helps.

#3507 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 00:49

Ray,
Those Newton Racing Minis are interesting. I note the reference to the use of crossflow heads in your text and in the extract from the article the reference to "Alexander modified heads." As I understand it there was an Alexander cross flow head which was a 7 port design with the 4 inlet ports at the front and 3 exhaust at the rear with the centre 2 exhausts siamesed as they were from the factory.

That arrangement puts the carbs out the front. No real sign of that here. Curiously these cars have what appears to be a pair of air intakes sticking out through the bonnet suggestive of a single downdraught Weber configuration on a standard 5 port head. I wonder if those holes in the front of the bonnet were there to increase the air flow for cooling purposes given the climate they were racing in and also given the mods to the standard grille?

Any thoughts?

The heads on all 3 Newton cars wore (in house) conventional heads, the reference to to the Alexander head was not on a Newton car. The 48 IDA Webers can be seen at rear of the bonnet, both oil and water rads. were in the front of engine and alternator as driven from the water pump shaft hence the extra bonnet venting. These cars had to be built to withstand an alien climate of high humidity. heat not to mention monsoon rain all of which were experienced during the event an the real skills in the whole venture was that of the drivers who were able to keep these little bricks flying through wearing conditions. Geoff.

#3508 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 576 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:06

[quote name='plannerpower' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:41' post='3338149']
Oran Park 1962.

The first few are identified by notations on the prints;

Posted Image

Would this be the Tojeiro - Climax, what is the history of this car?

#3509 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 576 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:20

Yes, the yellow Lola was the Frank Demuth car...

It came here originally with David McKay, I think Greg Cusack may have driven it once or twice, but I'm not sure. Then it was sold to Johnny Martin, who made it famous with his efforts to cling to the back of 1500cc Lotus 23s before selling it to Demuth.

When Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B, it went to the Geoghegans as a trade. Pete drove it at a Warwick Farm meeting (February 1966) with wider wheels and guards stretched out over them. In fact, I think that in practice the rear bodywork was missing as it was unfinished. He really stirred up that little car, which was then the lemony yellow that it wore when they sold it to Tassie.

If my memory is still working correctly was it not at this meeting that Pete punched two holes in the front of the Lola after running into the back of Janes E type exhaust pipes, was it under brakes for Creek Corner ?

#3510 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:25

Geoff, I presume you where firing those magnetos one behind the other, a couple of crank degrees.I can believe the power you found and it was probably smoother at high RPM too making life a bit easier on cranks etc.
This is ofcourse what the fuel drag engines do these days to try and burn all the fuel in the chamber from both sides.
Though these days on that sort of engine i suspect that a MSD type ignition would work as well.

Yes Lee That was the conception to the whole idea by having the ability to widen the burn period would encourage more power and particularly torque from the engine.
1963 saw the end of alcohol fuel for our cars and reverting back to 100 octane caused a few problems leading up to the idea of a cleaner more efficient fuel burn. Obviously there are easier methods today but 50 years ago we were still looking in any way we could, without the aid of computers, only perhaps a slide rule and something to write on and a lot of time lost to mistakes but on the occasion when you were successful it was nice being 10ft. tall....Geoff

#3511 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:27

"Tojeiro Climax " was my first reaction -- but I would like to check programmes etc (which are in storage, unfortunately). There are some things about that car/driver that make me doubt my first reaction
If it IS the Tojeiro Climax, Peter Caldwell was an engineer with the NRMA who sold the car to Victoria where it raced on before resurfacing again recently for sale

#3512 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:49

Peter Caldwell's car was a kind of duck egg light blue, that car looks too dark...

However, I'm remembering it from the late sixties, that pic appears to be at a very early Oran Park new circuit meeting, possibly the first. Though the dam puzzles me.

#3513 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 763 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:23

Finally got to put these up here. 1972 Dulux Rally, the Mt Ginn stage at Canberra

David MacKay's RS2600 Capri, David was not happy with the surface provided!
Posted Image

Jon Leighton, 3rd on the day, later to figure in some off-track dramas as the when the event moved on to Victoria
Posted Image

Peter Brock, tail out, dices with Herrmann
Posted Image

Edgar Herrmann's 240Z
Posted Image

That's it for now, until I can find some more buried in the stuff in my garage ...

Ed

#3514 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 576 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:35

Peter Caldwell's car was a kind of duck egg light blue, that car looks too dark...

However, I'm remembering it from the late sixties, that pic appears to be at a very early Oran Park new circuit meeting, possibly the first. Though the dam puzzles me.

I believe that the car was Dark Blue, so we have a colour in commen just the shade is diferent, what ever it is she sure is a sweety.

Having looked on Google at other cars of the same make they are very similar to that in the photo.

#3515 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:46

Originally posted by GreenMachine
.....Edgar Herrmann's 240Z
Posted Image

I assume that's before the famous tailgate-slamming incident?

#3516 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:06

A lovely little car.. a sort of combnaiton D Type DBR1

Similar to the "Reluctant Debutante" we see loitering a recent historic meetings..never moving, but waiting for a London Auction house suitor

JB

#3517 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,050 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 23:32

Finally got to put these up here. 1972 Dulux Rally, the Mt Ginn stage at Canberra

David MacKay's RS2600 Capri, David was not happy with the surface provided!
Posted Image

Ed

The Dulux Rally(s) were not David 's cup of tea,not happy with just about everything,he was lucky(IIRC) not to end up in jail when he took out his frustrations on a Vict. police officer.

#3518 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 763 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:19

I assume that's before the famous tailgate-slamming incident?

Ray, I don't think I know that one - did it involve Leighton? If so, that was a couple of days later at Winton I think.

Ian, that begs the question - why did he enter, or at least if he 'had' to enter, couldn't he find someone else to drive? Do tell ... please :wave: and the incident with the constabulary ... :clap:

Ed

Edited by GreenMachine, 07 June 2010 - 05:19.

#3519 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,050 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:26

Ian, that begs the question - why did he enter, or at least if he 'had' to enter, couldn't he find someone else to drive? Do tell ... please :wave: and the incident with the constabulary ... :clap:
Ed

Lots of stories out of the Dulux,i better not repeat them here as some of the competitors/officials(or their sons) still post on Forums,not sure why David entered or why he compalined so much as he did OK in the Alfa and Capri.IIRC he was stopped just outside a Vict. country town in the Capri. for something minor,no tail-lights or driving lights on high beam(i don't think it was speeding),and he lost it,probaly tired and upset at not being competitive with the Toranas.

Dulux Rally

Advertisement

#3520 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:38

A sad day coming out of Homestead at Warwick Farm practice on 2nd May 1970.

The first photo is from an earlier lap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone know the details?

Lynton Hemer

Edited by lyntonh, 19 February 2012 - 22:27.

#3521 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:57

The heads on all 3 Newton cars wore (in house) conventional heads, the reference to to the Alexander head was not on a Newton car. The 48 IDA Webers can be seen at rear of the bonnet, both oil and water rads. were in the front of engine and alternator as driven from the water pump shaft hence the extra bonnet venting. These cars had to be built to withstand an alien climate of high humidity. heat not to mention monsoon rain all of which were experienced during the event an the real skills in the whole venture was that of the drivers who were able to keep these little bricks flying through wearing conditions. Geoff.

Hi Geoff...I think you will find that the two larger capacity Minis would have run either a 45DCOE or what you have seen is a split weber set up...48 would be bordering on over carburation. :)

Edit: Oops! there is a goose neck inlet manifold for conventional Mini heads and you can fit a 48 IDA suitably choked....

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 13 June 2010 - 10:06.

#3522 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 13:22

Originally posted by GreenMachine
Ray, I don't think I know that one - did it involve Leighton? If so, that was a couple of days later at Winton I think.....

No... it was all Edgar Hermann's doing...

It was in '72, IIRC. His navigator (Roger Bonhomme? It was someone from Melbourne) got out of the car to change a tyre in the middle of the night, it was freezing cold and Edgar got out of the car to shut the tailgate so he wouldn't be suffering from the cold.

But in the process of getting the spare out, the navigator had left something sitting up in the middle of the opening, the tailgate came down on it and smashed the window. They drove on with Edgar getting colder than he ever planned on.

#3523 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:23

Hi Geoff...I think you will find that the two larger capacity Minis would have run either a 45DCOE or what you have seen is a split weber set up...48 would be bordering on over carburation. :)

Edit: Oops! there is a goose neck inlet manifold for conventional Mini heads and you can fit a 48 IDA suitably choked....

Posted Image

:)

#3524 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:10

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image
Posted Image

Will this work??????????
Al's XB Falcon at O.P., Norm in the EH at The Farm and Al again in the Monza at Amaroo........John.

Edited by DJH, 15 June 2010 - 04:23.

#3525 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:57

Nice photos John, I assume the Monza is from private practice as it is lacking in numbers?

#3526 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:05

Nice photos John, I assume the Monza is from private practice as it is lacking in numbers?

I'm sure it was Saturday practice, also think it may have been the debut of the car. Not sure how it got out the gate with no numbers.........John.

#3527 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:11

I can never remember Moffats Falcon in that colorscheme.
I actually had one painted very similar drive past here today, gold bumpers and wheels the lot. But no signwriting. I saw a tribute car in did not recognise it as such!!

#3528 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:42

He ran that paint scheme in 1975.

#3529 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 437 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:42

I actually had one painted very similar drive past here today, gold bumpers and wheels the lot. But no signwriting. I saw a tribute car in did not recognise it as such!!

It got burnt in the Transporter fire on the way to Adelaide in 1976 and was totally destroyed.He borrowed the John Goss coupe.
There is a Tribute car that attends the Masters displays etc

Edit...Year and Adelaide added

Edited by Ellis French, 15 June 2010 - 08:51.

#3530 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:45

He ran that paint scheme in 1975.

It's a very long time ago, but, I reckon that XB was the car that went to the U.S.A. and came back in dark blue paint with Brut 33 livery. I remember looking inside the red/gold car at O.P. and seeing the oil tank mounted in the passenger side foot well. I think Al might have won the ATCC that year with the red/gold machine, racing Falcons were a bit thin on the ground that season.
Posted Image

This pic. seems to be the next season, could be Charlie O'Brien in the Torana and Bond in the Falcon.

Edited by DJH, 15 June 2010 - 09:05.

#3531 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:15

I
This pic. seems to be the next season, could be Charlie O'Brien in the Torana and Bond in the Falcon.

And I'd say you're right - 1977, Charlie in the L34 Torana and Colin in the Falcon. Oran Park.

Bruce Moxon

#3532 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:21

It's a very long time ago, but, I reckon that XB was the car that went to the U.S.A. and came back in dark blue paint with Brut 33 livery. I remember looking inside the red/gold car at O.P. and seeing the oil tank mounted in the passenger side foot well. I think Al might have won the ATCC that year with the red/gold machine, racing Falcons were a bit thin on the ground that season.

Which I seem to recall was originally the works Gibson XA Hardtop from 1973. Moffat wrote his off at the end of '73 at Phillip Island, and the last lightweight shell had gone to Goss to make his Sports Sedan, so when the factory team was disbanded at the end of the year I think Moffat got Gibson's car. Gibson got Howard Marsden's orange Hardtop which was sometimes used for development, and had been raced with 4 wheel discs by Pete Geoghegan at the Sandown 250 in 1973 until it shed a rear wheel.

#3533 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 484 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:18

Moffat won the 1976 ATCC driving the red/gold Falcon GT hardtop for the first 5 rounds, up to Amaroo Park.
The car was destroyed, along with his transporter, en route to Adelaide for Rd 6. He borrowed John Goss' Falcon hardtop and won the Adelaide ATCC round, and ran Goss' car at the subsequent Lakeside round also, finishing 2nd. He debuted a new Falcon (christened 'Phoenix') at the Sandown Hang Ten 400. It appears that for the latter part of the season, from Bathurst onwards anyway, he ran the car in the Moffat Ford Dealers white with red & blue stripes livery (as per 1977).

#3534 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:50

Where were you Lee....I know of one up QLD way! :)

#3535 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 437 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:59

Moffat won the 1976 ATCC driving the red/gold Falcon GT hardtop for the first 5 rounds, up to Amaroo Park.
The car was destroyed, along with his transporter, en route to Adelaide for Rd 6. He borrowed John Goss' Falcon hardtop and won the Adelaide ATCC round, and ran Goss' car at the subsequent Lakeside round also, finishing 2nd. He debuted a new Falcon (christened 'Phoenix') at the Sandown Hang Ten 400. It appears that for the latter part of the season, from Bathurst onwards anyway, he ran the car in the Moffat Ford Dealers white with red & blue stripes livery (as per 1977).

Also.....
The famous 1977 1, 2 finnish at Bathurst was in fact still in XB GT's updated to look like the current model XC 500 Coupes (No XC GT's were built) so contrary to popular belief XB GT's did win at Bathurst albiet with later sheetmetal , grill etc etc.

#3536 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:14

Where were you Lee....I know of one up QLD way! :)

Just metro Adelaide, I doubt the car was exactly the same,It was deep red with gold rims and bumpers. I saw the back 3/4 of it with no bird perch etc. Sounded quite strong.

#3537 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:08

It may be over 40 years ago but I clearly remember the 48 IDA used on all 3 Newton Minis (999, 1275, 1370cc) well tuned gave superior performance than 42 or 45 DCOE's,. Without the radiator in its normal position it also allowed for better manifolding for both inlet and exhaust which was all carried out in the Newton Enterprise workshop in Singapore, Both the 999 and the 1275 engine blocks were English while the 1370 block was Australian as these were the heaviest block casting, better suited to the "bigger holes" The English B.M.C. cams proved too inaccurate and the ones used were specially ground by Bert Jones in Sydney. Very little useful material had been written in those times and it was a mostly try and see method, the distributors for instance were from the Ferguson tractor, a much more efficient unit running on ball bearings rather than wonky old bronze bushes and this sort of detail brought about the results that were achieved and look a likes began to appear in UK and Aus and so the game moves on. Smed.

#3538 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:14

Keep those stories coming, Geoff...

We're learning from you all the time.

Ferguson tractors? They're in bigger demand than Minis these days!

#3539 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:54

Another image from 1964, Brian Muir in the SV Holden S4 at Warwick Farm.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Alec Mildren entered Velox of Sach/Brunninghausen(sp) Bathurst 1964
Posted Image

VW, Vogue and Viva 1964.
Posted Image

Velox, Triumph 2000 and Zephyr Mk3 1964.

Edited by DJH, 17 June 2010 - 11:47.

Advertisement

#3540 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:30

Keep those stories coming, Geoff...

We're learning from you all the time.

Ferguson tractors? They're in bigger demand than Minis these days!

Sorry Ray,

All that Brocks is not gold

Posted Image

#3541 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:05

It may be over 40 years ago but I clearly remember the 48 IDA used on all 3 Newton Minis (999, 1275, 1370cc) well tuned gave superior performance than 42 or 45 DCOE's,. Without the radiator in its normal position it also allowed for better manifolding for both inlet and exhaust which was all carried out in the Newton Enterprise workshop in Singapore, Both the 999 and the 1275 engine blocks were English while the 1370 block was Australian as these were the heaviest block casting, better suited to the "bigger holes" The English B.M.C. cams proved too inaccurate and the ones used were specially ground by Bert Jones in Sydney. Very little useful material had been written in those times and it was a mostly try and see method, the distributors for instance were from the Ferguson tractor, a much more efficient unit running on ball bearings rather than wonky old bronze bushes and this sort of detail brought about the results that were achieved and look a likes began to appear in UK and Aus and so the game moves on. Smed.

I wonder if Vanguard dissys are the same?

#3542 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 20:40

More great photos John.

#3543 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:51

Especially that black and white one...

That was such a spectacular car, though driven neatly, it was very much photographed.

#3544 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 22:59

Geoff,
I query if the "999" powered car started off as one of the rarer 970 cc Cooper S engines with perhaps a slight overbore?

In standard form they utilised the same bore as the 1275 engine and thus the bigger valves that the Cooper S ran. These 970 engines were very short stroke , 62 mm as compared with the standard 81.3 mm of the bigger 1275 engine. They were right screamers although suffering in the torque department. The standard 998cc engine of the day was a smaller bore affair of only 64.58mm and longer 76.2 mm stroke. Cooper S heads don't fit due to valve interference with the block unless you releave it. I would be surprised if the 999 car was fitted with one of those engines.

Do you have any recollections about this engine?

Edited by fredeuce, 18 June 2010 - 23:00.

#3545 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:39

Especially that black and white one...

That was such a spectacular car, though driven neatly, it was very much photographed.

970 S Bore/Stroke: 70.61mm x 62mm....970S was really just a circuit racing/rally homologation special.

#3546 Smedley (Geoff)

Smedley (Geoff)

• 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 00:48

I wonder if Vanguard dissys are the same?

No Lee, The only other motors I knew that ran that distributor was the 2.5 FPF Climax and one model of the 2.5 litre Riley plus the Fergy tractor, and being an old mechanic I can't quote numbers.

#3547 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:29

No Lee, The only other motors I knew that ran that distributor was the 2.5 FPF Climax and one model of the 2.5 litre Riley plus the Fergy tractor, and being an old mechanic I can't quote numbers.

I thought they may be, as from memory points and caps were interchangeable. At one stage my father owned both Vanguards and a Fergy. i guess the fergys motorsport heritage came to the fore !

#3548 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:56

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
970 S Bore/Stroke: 70.61mm x 62mm....970S was really just a circuit racing/rally homologation special.

Yeah, but the S4 (to which my post referred) was much bigger in bore and stroke...

Though it was an 'homologation special' of kinds.

#3549 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 14:24

[quote name='DJH' post='4421281' date='Jun 17 2010, 10:54']Alec Mildren entered Velox

picture edited out.RL

What spec was the Velox in those days? Did it it 4 speed, discs and 3.3ltr motor or the old 2.6, or could you run some form of hotrod? Perish the thought on drums. The only one I recall over here in competition in period was a 3.3, 4 speed on discs IIRC on one of the Circuit of Ireland rallies. A big car but it seemed to go well, but was never followed up elsewhere. Probably it was down to the restriction on revs with the old truck engine and its few main bearings for a 6 pot.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 23 June 2010 - 21:58.

#3550 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 21:40

Actually, Roger, this is the Velox pic:

Posted Image

It was a race for totally unmodified cars, undoubtedly it had whatever the best spec was at the time.

I think that did include the 4-speed and disc brakes, I'm sure the engine was the 7-bearing model.