Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8719 replies to this topic

#3651 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:16

I have just uploaded the the Racing Collectables section of the forum the final results on the Jim McKeown model that couldnt of happened with out this thread and all the members on this forum.

The wealth of Knowledge and History is amazing and a great read.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=133541

Ray

Advertisement

#3652 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:37

Originally posted by SJ Lambert
Didn't my uncle, Nick Munting own Chequered Flag magazine? If it wasn't Chequered Flag it must have been a publication with a very similar moniker...

You're prepared to admit... in public.... being related to Nick?

I don't know what his part was in it all. He probably did buy it from Gabriel, later Rob Luck was in there too, IIRC.

#3653 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:58

You're prepared to admit... in public.... being related to Nick?

I don't know what his part was in it all. He probably did buy it from Gabriel, later Rob Luck was in there too, IIRC.

Absolutely! He's Mum's little brother!!

#3654 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:39

Absolutely! He's Mum's little brother!!

SJ, Ray and Nick had to be pulled apart in the press room at Amaroo Park one day. No idea what it was about - maybe a girl?

Even Jon Thompson and I never came to blows!

Bruce Moxon

#3655 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:21

Crikey, is this the bit when I say "You can choose your friends" ?

#3656 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 23:18

When did that happen, Bruce?

I certainly don't recall it, though it's not impossible. Nick did have some funny ideas.

#3657 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:00

When did that happen, Bruce?

I certainly don't recall it, though it's not impossible. Nick did have some funny ideas.

Mid-80s, probably 1984 or 85. I can't pin it down any more than that.

BM

#3658 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 14:16

Unofficial Friday practice Tasman Round Warwick Farm Feb 12th 1971.

Posted Image
Frank Matich & team

Posted Image
John Cannon

Posted Image
Mike Eyerly in one piece

Posted Image
And after ending his Tasman campaign just after the esses

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then Saturday practice...

Posted Image
Chris Amon checking the bloke behind, or the fence?

Posted Image
All reports were that Niel Allen had set-up problems all weekend....
The front wheel off....a sign perhaps?

Posted Image
KB doing the same

And the race

Posted Image
Frank Gardner on his way to winning the race

Posted Image
Teddy Pilette hung out

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 22:00.

#3659 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 23:59

I believe that what Ray is implying is that it is the BRM powered Cooper, and not the Cicada which was a different chassis altogether which had the same BRM engine transplanted into it.

According to the Blanden book, Don Fraser bought the wrecked Cooper from Davison in March 1962, had Elfin repair it, and dropped in the BRM engine that was acquired from Glass. He then ran it for two years before selling it as a rolling chassis to Ray Gibbs.

Checking my own Gold Star site, Fraser ran the Cooper at the 64 and 65 Mallala Gold Star rounds, and the Cicada at the 67 and 68 rounds, with the chassis# listed as '3'.

I don't suppose this machine (That to me doesn't resemble the Cooper Butler -ie I don't think it is Garrie and Norm's car) could be the wrecked Cooper? I reckon this picture looks like it was probably taken inside the Elfin Works??
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#3660 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:03

The BRM Cooper was rear engined, there is a pic of the BRM engine fitted to it somehere on TNF.

#3661 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 335 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 23:22

I don't suppose this machine (That to me doesn't resemble the Cooper Butler -ie I don't think it is Garrie and Norm's car) could be the wrecked Cooper? I reckon this picture looks like it was probably taken inside the Elfin Works??
Posted Image

Looks like a BRM V16 to me

#3662 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 23:38

I'll go with that... 30 plus years ago, while campervanning around the UK & Europe we looked in vain for a V-16 BRM, but the closest we got was a beautifully done display of a crankshaft from same, with a very significant score on one of the journals, mounted on a polished timber base. This was at Donington.
On returning to our hometown Adelaide, we discovered that the National Motor Museum at Birdwood (SA) had on display ... a BRM V-16. :rolleyes:

#3663 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:42

I'll go with that... 30 plus years ago, while campervanning around the UK & Europe we looked in vain for a V-16 BRM, but the closest we got was a beautifully done display of a crankshaft from same, with a very significant score on one of the journals, mounted on a polished timber base. This was at Donington.
On returning to our hometown Adelaide, we discovered that the National Motor Museum at Birdwood (SA) had on display ... a BRM V-16. :rolleyes:

Well, it looks like it spent a bit of time at the Elfin factory if that lathe and those wheels are all Elfin materials? I presume Bob Mills would be more likely to photograph it at Elfins than anywhere else.........

Edited by SJ Lambert, 01 August 2010 - 03:44.

#3664 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 22:46

I've no idea why it would have been at Conmurra Avenue - here's a V16 donk for comparison.
What struck me was the sheer bulk of the powerplant: only 1.5 litres, but by the time some 450+ hp is being produced, it all begins to add up...
Posted Image

#3665 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:49

Unofficial Friday practice Tasman Round Warwick Farm Feb 12th 1971.

Posted Image
Mike Eyerly in one piece

Posted Image
And after ending his Tasman campaign just after the esses

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So this is the accident that finished Mike Eyerly's career! It doesn't look that bad, two corners knocked off, but the tub otherwise intact.

Did you witness the accident? Can you tell us what actually happened?

What were your impressions of Eyerly on the track? Or did he not get much of a chance before the accident?

Eyerly was highly rated in the States and was something of a lost talent. There are a couple of threads on TNF about this now forgotten star.

#3666 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:54

So this is the accident that finished Mike Eyerly's career! It doesn't look that bad, two corners knocked off, but the tub otherwise intact.

Did you witness the accident? Can you tell us what actually happened?

What were your impressions of Eyerly on the track? Or did he not get much of a chance before the accident?

Eyerly was highly rated in the States and was something of a lost talent. There are a couple of threads on TNF about this now forgotten star.

I'm glad you found the Eyerly photos useful.

In the earlier posts on the topics about him, the Farm mishap gets mentioned several times.

I was over on the main straight at the time, as you can gather from my first photo after the prang,
&, with several others, I headed over to the esses to get closer.

It seemed odd that he had gone off where he did, but the throttle sticking story would explain that.

He had only done a few laps before that, & was just one of the new faces for me.

Obviously, he didn't have enough spare parts & was unable to get the car going.

Others on TNF may havee been there & may be able to add to the details.

Lynton

#3667 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 13:20

He may well have been dependent on starting money from this and successive rounds to make it all financially viable too...

Someone might have to dig deeper to find the real reason.

#3668 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:33

Looking at the Donnington site it appears that this is the 1954 BRM P30V 16 mk II Formula 1 car that they have in their holding, comments please gentlemen.

#3669 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:01

Posted Image

Line up for the Start for a round of the 1960 NSW Hillclimb Championship at Huntley Hill Dapto. On the left hand side of the picture is B. Powell repairing his Motor Bike powered Special & in the background on the same side is I believe Ralph Sach driving a Masser 4CLT while in the line up is in the Aston Martin DB3S of Tom Sulman, not sure of the first 2 cars, can anyone assist please, sorry for quality of photo but a box brownie was the best I had in those days.

#3670 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:47

Pretty sure that's a Nota... and the driver is likely to be Guy Buckingham...

Bruce Powell from Young in southern NSW, a very nice chap. He had a couple of people driving his cars, Peter Wherrett included.

#3671 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:35

Won't be Ralph Sach in a Maserati 4CLT, because none ever went to Australia (unless you count the OSCA)

Might be Ralph Sach in the ex-Sulman Maserati 4CM though :)

#3672 john medley

john medley

• 1,160 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:37

Ross Piper(Hamilton 1500) in front of ? john Hextall(Elfin) and Tom Sulman(DB3S Aston Martin)

Is that the DPR Triumph on the left? (Davidson/Powell/Rofe)?

#3673 john medley

john medley

• 1,160 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:39

PS I'm with David re Maserati 4C

#3674 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:44

I always find it strange that this particular 4CM was inevitably called a 4C in Australia. Not incorrect, but not precisely correct, either.

With apologies for going OT

#3675 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:58

Ross Piper(Hamilton 1500) in front of ? john Hextall(Elfin) and Tom Sulman(DB3S Aston Martin)

Is that the DPR Triumph on the left? (Davidson/Powell/Rofe)?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first image is the Bruce Powell car the second being the DPR Triumph, the DPR's wheel can be seen in the right of the Powell photo, of interest kneeling behind the Powell car with the hat on is John White who during that period ran a very fast Austin 7 Special & also drove at Bathurst with Ron Thorp in a Morris Major Elite.

#3676 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:01

Won't be Ralph Sach in a Maserati 4CLT, because none ever went to Australia (unless you count the OSCA)

Might be Ralph Sach in the ex-Sulman Maserati 4CM though :)

David you are correct, it is the same car that he drove in the first historic race at the Farm, many thanks for the correction, any history on this car?

#3677 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:45

Originally raced by Farina in 1934 and 1935, then E K Rayson in the UK. Postwar owners included Roy Salvadori. Australian David Chambers bought it in 1949, raced it at Goodwood, then took it home but did not, I believe, race it again. Very well-known in Tom Sulman's hands 1951-53, incuding two visits to NZ. Later raced by Jack Neal and in historic events by various others before being sold to the UK late 1980s. Has been raced by German owner Peter Altenbach for the past dozen years or so. Chassis No.1521

#3678 Logan

Logan

• 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:54

Guys!

These photos are outstanding! Truly I am in the right place, there is some amazing documentation here...thanks a bunch for sharing!

#3679 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:17

Yeah,i like to think i know a bit about 1960/70's Oz motor sport but a learner amongst some of these blokes.
The Mini is getting some attention so i guess that dates the photo to late 1961 or 1962.

Advertisement

#3680 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:17

Do you know anything about the aforementioned Hamilton 1500?

I know I didn't until fairly recently.

#3681 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:08

David you are correct, it is the same car that he drove in the first historic race at the Farm, many thanks for the correction, any history on this car?

I can't add anything really, knowing almost nothing about Maseratis, but assuming it is Ralph Sach in a Maserati in the pic we're talking about, it will be the one he drove in the historic race at WF. The car lived near me at the time (early '60s) and was owned by two brothers with a mechanical repair workshop on Wentworth Road Burwood in Sydney: Reilly Bros. Engineering. The car sat just inside the door (usually covered by a dustcover) for a number of years. It was 4 cyl. supercharged, and a bit on the tatty side. It had incredibly hard and cracked tyres, and raced on those tyres at WF, Even as a 13 y.o., I was surprised that anybody would actually race on them - and Sach had a pretty hard go, as I recall. I was there on both practice and race day, and when the engine cleared itself and went, it had a nice hard note and s/c howl - only for short bursts though.

Being a bit tatty shouldn't automatically identify it as ex Tom Sulman, but it probably was that car.

#3682 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:27

Many thanks to all regarding the history of the Masser, nice to know that on one day of my life I was close to a wonderfull Historic car.

#3683 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 13:14

A few oddities from '69 -'70 - '71

First Lynn Brown, & that memorable driving style.

I think it was Jim Richards who said that to go "quick", you need to
keep your head upright & your eyes level.

Lynn Brown was pretty fast despite his avoidance of that rule!!
I remember watching him in practice at this corner for several laps one day,
completely amazed, because for a few laps he was leaning across so far
that his helmet was touching the passenger side window.
His belts must have been completely loose!!

Posted Image
9th Aug 1969 at "Robin Orlando Corner" Oran Park

Posted Image
13th Dec 1969 same place

Posted Image
3rd Dec 1970 and again

Posted Image
He always seemed to be leaping around in the car, wrestling it
to where he wanted it to go... a different sort of "seat of the pants driving"

Posted Image
Another Mini keeping in "tight" "Robin Orlando" again 13th Dec 1969

Posted Image
John Leffler - Dancing Understeer 27th June 1970 "Energol Corner" Oran Park

Posted Image
David Attard Oran Park 13th Dec 1969...
wearing some damage down the driver's side from a discussion with a wall.

This bloke was quick, leading Series Production fields for a number of races,
until one night he got tapped in this same corner & spun into the wall,
sliding back across the track onto the infield grass.
He almost fell out of the car onto the grass & lay there beside the car.
I suspect he was physically unhurt, but I never saw him race again,
so I suspect his cheque book took a real hit.

Posted Image
A Historic for someone to identify...at the Gold Star meeting at Oran Park 27th June 1970

Posted Image
Graham Ryan & ? at Oran Park 27th June 1970

Posted Image
A typical Oran Park Sports Sedan field 20th Sept 1970

Posted Image
I thought these things tended to understeer...!!

Posted Image
Amaroo Park stop corner 1st August 1970

Posted Image
I loved watching at the Northern Crossing at Warwick Farm
RAC Trophy meeting Digby Cooke 2nd May 1971

Posted Image
Alan Hamilton bottoming out ... same meeting

Posted Image
Same car, place, day, same everything....I just love this shot!!

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 21:45.

#3684 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 13:53

Originally posted by lyntonh
Posted Image
A Historic for someone to identify...at the Gold Star meeting at Oran Park 27th June 1970

That's a Vauxhall...

But Wherrett's report doesn't mention it.

#3685 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:41

Lyntonh's 'typical OP Sports Sedan field' pic shows Noel Delforce in his Wolseley, and the pic of the FE on opposite lock is (I think ) Chris Strode.

Lynn Brown might have stretched the "Keep your head upright and your eyes level" further than most, but Peter Manton and Brian Foley certainly did it before Lynn started racing - and it wasn't just a Mini thing either, as this John Stanley pic from Brian Darby's excellent site shows: http://aussieroadrac...m/Stanley2.html

#3686 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:06

Does anyone know why it was called "Robin Orlando" corner,although that name wasn't used amongst my friends it used to pop up ocassionly.I notice it gets a mention in the VHRR newsletter,about a 3rd of the way down.

VHRR

Great Pics. by the way,i remember the crowd mimicking some of the drivers that used that "body english" driving style.

Edited by Ian G, 05 August 2010 - 23:08.

#3687 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:19

Does anyone know why it was called "Robin Orlando" corner,although that name wasn't used amongst my friends it used to pop up ocassionly.I notice it gets a mention in the VHRR newsletter,about a 3rd of the way down.

VHRR

Great Pics. by the way,i remember the crowd mimicking some of the drivers that used that "body english" driving style.

Someone even older than me might like to correct/amplify...

Robin Orlando was a 'Gentleman's Outfitter'. Or they sold clothes, anyway, as I recall it.

Bruce Moxon

#3688 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,660 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:20

Lyntonh's 'typical OP Sports Sedan field' pic shows Noel Delforce in his Wolseley, and the pic of the FE on opposite lock is (I think ) Chris Strode.

Lynn Brown might have stretched the "Keep your head upright and your eyes level" further than most, but Peter Manton and Brian Foley certainly did it before Lynn started racing - and it wasn't just a Mini thing either, as this John Stanley pic from Brian Darby's excellent site shows: http://aussieroadrac...m/Stanley2.html

In those pics there is not a rollcage in sight and i doubt wether a lot of them had seat belts either.
All that leaning in the cars would be impossible today with seat belts and any remotely decent seat. In fact if someone was they would be black flagged pronto.

#3689 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:28

Robin Orlando was a 'Gentleman's Outfitter'. Or they sold clothes, anyway, as I recall it.
Bruce Moxon

I don't know about 'older', but IIRC, Robin Orlando was an engine reconditioner on Parramatta Road, Taverners Hill. I think he also raced an MGA around the time Oran Park was first opened.

#3690 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,660 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:29

Lynton, your mention of David Attard in the HK Monaro above, I presume it was the same one drove Sports Sedans in the 90s. He drove Bob Tindalls VL at the 94 GP supports and was super quick when on the road but was off a lot and ended up having a big crash in front of me just into Victoria Pk. He then later drove the Alcair Commodore for a year or two in Supercars. There is a Peter Attard who has raced sprintcars also. There is other Attards too.

#3691 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:30

Bruce Moxon

Thanks Bruce,there must be 2 Robin Orlando's,i'm fairly certain the engine builder one didn't sponsor it and thought he must have had a major off there.

#3692 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:42

Thanks Bruce,there must be 2 Robin Orlando's,i'm fairly certain the engine builder one didn't sponsor it and thought he must have had a major off there.

Sudden flash of recall here: I remember now that Robin Orlando (the engine builder one) used to advertise in the OP program. I also vaguely recall Doug Chivas telling me he raced an MG (TC, I think) owned by Robin Orlando on a few occasions.

#3693 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 00:56

Sudden flash of recall here: I remember now that Robin Orlando (the engine builder one) used to advertise in the OP program. I also vaguely recall Doug Chivas telling me he raced an MG (TC, I think) owned by Robin Orlando on a few occasions.

Well I'll be...

Thanks for the correction. I'd always thought it was a rag trader that had some later connection with Toby Lee (I know that was a Grace Bros brand).

That's the real benefit of this place.

BM

#3694 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 00:56

I reluctantly used the names for the corners as I remember them from the time because that's how I knew them.

Putting a more modern name seemed pointless.

I must say that I've had a problem for years with the whole idea of naming corners after sponsors.

There's something special about "conrod" or "the dipper", or "creek" & even something like "brewery bend" from later times.

Sponsors drift in & out of sport, so these commercial names become useless for identification, as newer generations of race watchers
have their own adverts to get used to.

I suspect that Motor racing was one of the first to play this game, obviously to get financial support, but with major sporting arenas now
swapping between corporate names every couple of years, & quite irrelevant (mostly animal name) titles being used to name teams,
trying to work out a sporting side's geographic origin or the venue location is becoming impossible.

The idea of calling the Wallabies The Q Wallabies because the Q directors want free tickets to a corporate box at the Bledisloe Cup, while we pay too much for airfares
is galling, & I, for one, refuse to comply with using the name. The sponsor is using a national sporting team to add kudos to its brand, & charging its customers for doing so.
They want you to think there's been some long tradition of support, & that it's incorrect to omit the tag.

And, they're all doing it.

The days of Gentlemen racers is long gone, I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one keen to use traditional names for features on motor racing circuits & fields of play.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can put earlier un-sponsored names to places like these at Oran Park.

My only caution is that I guess we don't want to bog down a photo thread with long discussion.

#3695 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:07

You know, I'm half-thinking of dragging out one of my antique Pentax SLRs, loading up with some FP4 and heading to the historic races. Digital makes it so easy to get good shots, I'm worried I'm losing my discipline. And maybe it might be fun to shoot on film, in B&W just occasionally.

BM

#3696 Bondy

Bondy

• 186 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:13

Posted Image
3rd Dec 1970 and again

Is the mini up ahead Michael Hunt?

#3697 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:25

You know, I'm half-thinking of dragging out one of my antique Pentax SLRs, loading up with some FP4 and heading to the historic races. Digital makes it so easy to get good shots, I'm worried I'm losing my discipline. And maybe it might be fun to shoot on film, in B&W just occasionally.

BM

My son is a newspaper photographer, doing a wide variety including sport.

He uses digital all day at work, but when he feels like a challenge, he uses a cheap plastic film camera worth $30
with no speed or aperture settings, to shoot action shots in B&W, just for private interest.

He says it forces him back to basics.

#3698 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:35

Is the mini up ahead Michael Hunt?

Posted Image

No

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 08:42.

#3699 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:17

My son is a newspaper photographer, doing a wide variety including sport.

He uses digital all day at work, but when he feels like a challenge, he uses a cheap plastic film camera worth $30
with no speed or aperture settings, to shoot action shots in B&W, just for private interest.

He says it forces him back to basics.

That's sort of what I'm thinking. But not that basic.

When I shoot digital, I suppose I delete about 10% of what I shoot - but I don't really have to plan my shots so much. I have several 1960s Pentaxes (my own and my late Uncle's) with a few lenses - the longest 150mm.

Heh - I have a Box Brownie and a few folding 120mm 'pocket cameras'. Now that would be a challenge. Still waiting for my Yashica 635 to surface - it's 'in a box somewhere'. I miss that old thing.

I think I'll do it. Can you still get FP4?

Have you had any luck with those early 1970 pictures? But don't stop posting these - this stuff is brilliant.

BM

Advertisement

#3700 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:21

I reluctantly used the names for the corners as I remember them from the time because that's how I knew them.

Putting a more modern name seemed pointless.

I must say that I've had a problem for years with the whole idea of naming corners after sponsors.

There's something special about "conrod" or "the dipper", or "creek" & even something like "brewery bend" from later times.

Sponsors drift in & out of sport, so these commercial names become useless for identification, as newer generations of race watchers
have their own adverts to get used to.

I suspect that Motor racing was one of the first to play this game, obviously to get financial support, but with major sporting arenas now
swapping between corporate names every couple of years, & quite irrelevant (mostly animal name) titles being used to name teams,
trying to work out a sporting side's geographic origin or the venue location is becoming impossible.

The idea of calling the Wallabies The Q Wallabies because the Q directors want free tickets to a corporate box at the Bledisloe Cup, while we pay too much for airfares
is galling, & I, for one, refuse to comply with using the name. The sponsor is using a national sporting team to add kudos to its brand, & charging its customers for doing so.
They want you to think there's been some long tradition of support, & that it's incorrect to omit the tag.

And, they're all doing it.

The days of Gentlemen racers is long gone, I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one keen to use traditional names for features on motor racing circuits & fields of play.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can put earlier un-sponsored names to places like these at Oran Park.

My only caution is that I guess we don't want to bog down a photo thread with long discussion.

I think we're on a similar wavelength. Here's the text of a Letter To The Editor of Australian Muscle Car, sent recently...

I'm sick, sick up and fed with corners with no names. What has happened to the corners of the past that had names, names that evoked memories of past successes or failures, of original sponsors or of the geography of the corner itself. Look at Mount Panorama, with terrific names like Forrest's Elbow, Conrod Straight, Murray's and Hell Corners, The Cutting and The Dipper.

So, I'm starting a one-man campaign to give the corners at Eastern Creek names, just in time for the Muscle Car Masters.

I have a few ideas and maybe others could add theirs. Prizes for winning suggestions? Sure - the name you nominate gaining currency with the media, commentators, administrators and competitors for ever.

So, turn one. Reminds me a bit of the fast sweeper leading off the straight at the old Surfers Paradise. So how about 'Nerang', for the river that used to inundate the place every now and then.

Turn two is reminiscent of Craven A Corner at Catalina Park. A tightening left with a fast right uphill right after. But we could never use the name of a cigarette brand, so how about 'Catalina', for that fast, scary track in Katoomba that you can still walk, but not drive.

Turn seven might run the other way, but in line it's similar to the old Winfield Corner at Amaroo Park. There's even a body of water on the inside, so how about 'Lake' corner?

Turn eight could just be called 'Corporate Hill' - a good name that's stuck, despite there never seeming to be any corporates there.

Turn 9 has to be 'Creek'. Creek Corner was a right-handed hairpin at Warwick Farm, scene of many an overtaking move. Eastern Creek even has a small creek running near the track here.

And in memory of our greatest-ever driver, Sir Jack Brabham, we should have 'Brabham Straight', because he's always been a straight shooter and we have failed to honour the great man enough.

Other corners should perhaps be named for great NSW drivers, now departed. Frank Gardner, Ian Geoghegan and so on. And not just sedan drivers - retired open-wheel and sports car drivers like Spencer Martin, Frank Matich, Bill Brown and Greg Cusack deserve recognition too.

So, folks, how about it? Got any more suggestions?

And having fixed Eastern Creek, we can start on other tracks.

Bruce Moxon