Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8803 replies to this topic

#3701 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:27

Sudden flash of recall here: I remember now that Robin Orlando (the engine builder one) used to advertise in the OP program. I also vaguely recall Doug Chivas telling me he raced an MG (TC, I think) owned by Robin Orlando on a few occasions.

As far as I recall the corner was certainly named after Robin Orlando the engineer. I was never aware that there was any other RO...

Advertisement

#3702 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:58

As far as I recall the corner was certainly named after Robin Orlando the engineer. I was never aware that there was any other RO...

Yeah,he must have sponsored it in the early days of Oran Park and when he dropped off the name stuck.

I agree with Bruce about Corner names but in respect to Eastern Creek there should be something named White Elephant.

#3703 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:44

Ian G - interesting comment about the name sticking. I lived at Campbelltown and went to just about every Oran Park meeting (including those great night meetings) between Jan 1971 and Dec 1974 and invariably sat on the short uphill straight shown in those pics. I never, or don't ever remember might be more accurate, hearing that corner referred to as Orlando............................

#3704 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:00

Ian G - interesting comment about the name sticking. I lived at Campbelltown and went to just about every Oran Park meeting (including those great night meetings) between Jan 1971 and Dec 1974 and invariably sat on the short uphill straight shown in those pics. I never, or don't ever remember might be more accurate, hearing that corner referred to as Orlando............................

Might have been called 'Suttons' by then.

In the Navy were we?

Bruce Moxon

#3705 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:25

That's sort of what I'm thinking. But not that basic.

When I shoot digital, I suppose I delete about 10% of what I shoot - but I don't really have to plan my shots so much. I have several 1960s Pentaxes (my own and my late Uncle's) with a few lenses - the longest 150mm.

Heh - I have a Box Brownie and a few folding 120mm 'pocket cameras'. Now that would be a challenge. Still waiting for my Yashica 635 to surface - it's 'in a box somewhere'. I miss that old thing.

I think I'll do it. Can you still get FP4?

Have you had any luck with those early 1970 pictures? But don't stop posting these - this stuff is brilliant.

BM

I've been through my photos from the period & uploaded a set onto the vee topic, as you have probably seen.

If you can give me some car numbers I'll have another run through to check I haven't missed one.

Lynton

#3706 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:39

Sutton's rings a bell.

No - lived in Campbelltown prior to joining the Air Force.

LONG story about my nickname.......................

#3707 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:48

The Orlando MG was I believe a J2 chassis, with a 1500cc MG engine, later supercharged.
Chivas drove it at Bathurst in '57, Bill Ford Easter '58 including 7th in the Bathurst 100, Bill Reynolds in October '58.

#3708 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:36

I started to go to Oran Park in the 60's and that corner was known as Robin Orlando then and the next in turn was called the Dufor Dogleg and then Energol took you onto the straight. At the end of the straight there was a left hander named CC after CC tyres, then you mooved on to the esses and back to Robin Orlando.
As far as I am concerned they are the names that I remember and they shall stay that way in my memory of the place. Now that I have got that off my chest, can we have more of those great B&W photos please lyntonh?
Dale.

#3709 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:09

I would suggest that Robin Orlando contributed to the building of the circuit in some way... probably monetarily... and the naming of the corner for him was in recognition of that...

It did become Suttons, I think during the seventies.

#3710 john medley

john medley

• 1,165 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:18

gkennedy is correct: Robin Orlando's engine business was on Parramatta Road at Taverner's Hill(opposite Fort Street Boys High School). He had Ralph Sach race his Twin Cam MGA at early Warwick Farm events, and before that the "Orlando MG" for various drivers, initially with MG power, later Holden Cracking Head Six. The Orlando MG was originally the clever and light Ray Fowler offset diff MG. Robert Rowe and I went to see him once for no clear reason. Under piles of old cardboard boxes in a back room lay these 2 dust covered MGs. Sounding just like WCFields at his worst Robin Orlando, pointing at the Fowler car, said" Best Little Racin' Car in the Whole Wide World . Bring Out Yer Formula 5000s. This Little Car Would Beat Them All" This firm grip on reality probably explains why his sponsoring of that Oran Park corner lasted for years long after his time had passed.

The corners: just one comment at this stage : Oran Park's CC Tyres Corner was sponsored by that firm in the 3 local towns, the business owned by the Holyoake family, and it is David Holyoake in that Vauxhall 30/98 pictured splendidly by lyntonh

And Lyn Brown's blue/grey Mini. Someone in my presence said to Lyn B " That's a clever paint scheme" Lyn B's answer " Nah. We just ran out of paint"

I agree with Dale: more, please lyntonh

#3711 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:01

I started to go to Oran Park in the 60's and that corner was known as Robin Orlando then and the next in turn was called the Dufor Dogleg and then Energol took you onto the straight. At the end of the straight there was a left hander named CC after CC tyres, then you mooved on to the esses and back to Robin Orlando.
As far as I am concerned they are the names that I remember and they shall stay that way in my memory of the place. Now that I have got that off my chest, can we have more of those great B&W photos please lyntonh?
Dale.

Yep. That's as I also recall them from my first incursion there in about '64/'65

#3712 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:30

This is the Orlando/Fowler MG, at an Amaroo historic in the early 80s. Is that Rob Rowe driving? A nicely proportioned car, I always thought, its looks probably helped by the much larger rear wheels. They weren't so strict about driver protection in historics in those days, by the look of it. Could be wrong, but I have some recollection that the car was sold to someone in the UK, perhps in the early 90s

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3713 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 13:32

That's a Vauxhall...

But Wherrett's report doesn't mention it.

In fact I believe a 30/98 Vauxhall....

#3714 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 20:39

No, Gordon... I don't think that's Rob Rowe driving...

Doesn't look like his stance in the car at all. And anyway, I think he restricted himself pretty well to that Alvis-powered brakeless midget in those early Historic meetings.

Where are photos of that beastie?

#3715 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 22:11

Mal Biddlecombe driving the ex Fowler MG, I think it was him who sold it to the UK. John Cummins also drove it a few times in that era. Mal Biddlecombe will be remembered for his sideways exploits in that white XK120, 660214, which also found its way o/seas to the USA about 8 years ago and is being auctioned next week at Quail Lodge, it will be interesting to see what it makes.
Mal meanwhile still has the Day Special.

#3716 john medley

john medley

• 1,165 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 22:33

Yes -- looks like Mal Biddlecombe to me too. Didnt Michael Robinson do a resto back to pale blue with guards/lights etc before the UK sale?

#3717 Redneb

Redneb

• 88 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 23:21

Someone mentioned that the days of gentlemen racers are over. I don't agree - while privateers are gone from the 'highest' levels of the sport the gentlemen racers now dominate classic car racing with exciting, nostalgic and magnificently turned-out cars. In most part these cars have been restored to original (or as close as possible to it) after years of modifications and even neglect.

Bloody good result I'd say.

#3718 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 23:56

Yes -- looks like Mal Biddlecombe to me too. Didnt Michael Robinson do a resto back to pale blue with guards/lights etc before the UK sale?

Thanks John, I had forgotten he was the "link" between Mal and the o/seas sale, I also forgot to mention that Mal's flamboyant driving style from the XK120 was absent driving the Fowler MG.

#3719 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 00:04

No, Gordon... I don't think that's Rob Rowe driving...

Doesn't look like his stance in the car at all. And anyway, I think he restricted himself pretty well to that Alvis-powered brakeless midget in those early Historic meetings.

Where are photos of that beastie?

Sorry, no pics of the Alvis powerede midget. But I do have this one of the Macjob Alvis, another car which went of to the UK in the90s. Two or three years ago I spotted it on a Belgian sales site, listed as the macarthur Alvis
Posted Image

Advertisement

#3720 john medley

john medley

• 1,165 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:27

That 12/50 Alvis Special was built by George Macarthur Job early 1950s, hence Mac Job Alvis. Raced by all and sundry until bought by Allan Griffin who had Rob Rowe rebuild it and race it in the 1970s. I dont think that is RRowe in that pic -- even in a straight line his acrobatics at the wheel were distinctive. The more conservative stance may be Arthur Hardwick or maybe Mark Griffin, son of Allan.

And Ray the Alvis 12/50 engined Roadmaster midget was not brakeless(well, not intentionally so...) but gearboxless. It was built as a pioneering midget 1934/35 by Bill Varney who raced as Bill Allen on the dirt, bought and hillclimbed by Bill Williamson ( yes, the Phillip Island racer)prewar, and stored on a NSW Southern Highlands farm verandah when war broke out, found there untouched 1978, restored by Rob Rowe, raced ever since by RRowe and Cameron Macmillan , most recent appearance Winton May 2010

#3721 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:59

Originally posted by Dick Willis
Mal Biddlecombe..... meanwhile still has the Day Special.

And deserves to still have it...

Even though, most unfortunately, he will never race it again.

John... Yes, I remember that ⅜" 'cross shaft' that was supposed to operate the T-model brakes on the back. But Rob always reckoned that the 14:1 compression did all the braking.

#3722 ed holly

ed holly

• 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:16

Brian Darby has added another series of photos to his great aussieroadracing website.

They come from John Partridge who has stood at the start finish line of every GEAR meeting at Wakefield since day one .... well almost every one, a tremendous effort for over 10 years.

Who remembers Lakeview hillclimb or Riverview sprints - both on the border of the ACT which did not allow racing in the 50s and 60s

To see these go to http://aussieroadrac...nPartridge.html

... Ed

#3723 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:52

I thought it might be nice to let some club guys get a look in.

Some hillclimb shots (if I remember it correctly, an NSSCC event) at Amaroo Park 6th June 1971...mostly specials
including a couple of blurry photos to complete the set.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 08:39.

#3724 john medley

john medley

• 1,165 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 15:26

Among a collection of Very Bad Hats,
do I spy TNF's Brian Lear in #28?
perhaps father of TNF's Gouldo in red Nota with ring around the nose?
Nota that looks like Ray Hanger's?
Barry Garner?
Stan Rumble?

IDs of others?

#3725 valman770

valman770

• 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 20:16

Hi Guys,im new to the site so please forgive me for any mistakes made using the incorrect forum etc..........thanks. I have to say the pictures ive seen are SUPERB!!,talk about capturing the moment,well done that man for starting the forum off. Im wondering if anyone from Sydneys northern beaches area can help me with information about a man named Phillip Bruce Small? From the late 50s until the early 70s he had a business in Brookvale and had ties with Bill Buckle im told on some projects but traded as Phil Small Automotive.Import car conversions LHD to RHD i think was his main speciality along with Australian built cars upgrade work.Im told he was asked to work on a Ford Capri around 1970 but crashed on the test drive somewhere along Wakehurst Parkway but i just cant seem to find anything about the man.I have tried to locate Bill Buckle to ask him but having no luck as yet but i will keep at it.I just thought with the knowledge you guys have of the motorsport scene i couldent find a more perfect group to help me.Sorry to take a sidestep away from the pictures,thanks for your understanding.Rob

#3726 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 21:07

Bill Buckle can be contacted via Bill Buckle Motors...

He's not there, but they can get a message to him for you.

I do remember the name of Phil Small, I'm pretty sure. Another who might be able to help you is Ash Marshall.

What model is your Valiant? If you e.mail me (see address below) I might be able to help further.

And getting back to the Amaroo hillclimb pics, I think we have Brian Mayman there in the last one, don't we?
Barrie Garner's car looks its usual immaculate self (nothing like having the workshop just through the door from the dinner table!) and Brian Lear looks like he's going hard and having fun.

Edited by Ray Bell, 07 August 2010 - 21:09.

#3727 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 22:45

Ray, that is Stan Adler in the FJ. He was the next owner after Brian Mayman.
Dale.

#3728 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 23:08

Looks like Aub Revell in the naked Vee.

There's another Revell Vee there - Neil perhaps? And is that the MJM Vee?

Paul Hamilton in his Elfin 600. Or was that just so obvious that nobody else bothered?

Bruce Moxon

#3729 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 23:40

Lovely hillclimb pictures.

I am particularly interested in the car which was shown in the picture which I have enlarged below.

Is this one of the two Orions produced by Gordon Glynn and others in Sydney?

The body looks right and the basic suspension geometry looks similar, although I can't see any coils or for that matter, any form of springs at the front and the front wishbones don't look right.

Can anybody help?

Posted Image

JB

#3730 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:13

No Paul Hamilton there...

It was to be another two or three years before he would buy the 600, actually.

#3731 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:20

No Paul Hamilton there...

It was to be another two or three years before he would buy the 600, actually.

The only exercise I get is leaping to conclusions. I see a 600 with number 64 and make an (incorrect, as it turns out) intuitive leap.

And the naked Vee has big tyres - maybe it's not a Vee at all, but a VW-engined hillclimb car.

Bruce Moxon

#3732 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:40

Barrie Garner, with number 64 on his car, is in a Bowin P3...

It has a Holden 6 in the back. Check the carbies.

#3733 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 108 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:43

Lyntonh - thanks for posting these series of pictures .
The occasion was Round Four of the NSW Hillclimb Championships at Amaroo on 6th June 1971.
The event was organised by the Renault Car Club.

From the top.......
Car # 1 is John Pymble - Avanti Formula Renault.
Car # 15 is Ms. Gerry Hambly - Formula Renault.
Car # 50 is Lawson Ballantyne - Vagrant.
Car # 58 is David Cornell - Amatol mk4.
(Number obscured - Castrol on front) Possibly P.Bower - Formula Renault
Car # 14 is Matthew Klippan - VW Special
Car # 28 is Brian Lear - Cooper Peugeot.
Car # 52 is Ken Hambly - Lotus 20.
Next with number obscured is Trevis "Spike" Jones - SMV.
Next with number obscured is Stan Rumble - Cooper Climax.
Car # 64 is Barrie Garner - Bowin Holden.
Next one is Barry Pinson - Nota
Next is Dave Dunsmore - Renault.
Next one is Alwyn Cowan - Nota
Next is Pat Goulding - Nota.
Next one is John White - Milus
Car # 18 is Brian Sutton - Monarch Vee.
Car # 70 is Chris Lewis - CMS Vee.
Car # 74 is Steve Wiessner - Revell Vee.
Car # 141 is Stan Adler - Holden FJ.

Thanks to Ray Bell and gouldo - the three previously unidentified cars have now been captioned.

Brian Lear

Edited by Brian Lear, 09 August 2010 - 13:03.

#3734 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:13

Lyntonh - thanks for posting these series of pictures .
The occasion was Round Four of the NSW Hillclimb Championships at Amaroo on 6th June 1971.
The event was organised by the Renault Car Club.

From the top.......
Car # 1 is John Pymble - Avanti Formula Renault.
Car # 15 is Ms. Gerry Hambly - Formula Renault.
Car # 50 is Lawson Ballantyne - Vagrant.
Car # 58 is David Cornell - Amatol mk4.
(Number obscured - Castrol on front) Possibly P.Bower - Formula Renault
Car # 14 is Matthew Klippan - VW Special
Car # 28 is Brian Lear - Cooper Peugeot.
Car # 52 is Ken Hambly - Lotus 20.
Next with number obscured is Trevis "Spike" Jones - SMV.
Next with number obscured is Stan Rumble - Cooper Climax.
Car # 64 is Barrie Garner - Bowin Holden.
Next one is - unknown (see below)
Next is Dave Dunsmore - Renault.
Next one is unknown (see below)
Next is Pat Goulding - Nota.
Next one is unknown (see below)
Car # 18 is Brian Sutton - Monarch Vee.
Car # 70 is Chris Lewis - CMS Vee.
Car # 74 is Steve Wiessner - Revell Vee.
Car # 141 is Stan Adler - Holden FJ.
The three unidentified cars above belong to Barry Pinson (Nota), Alwyn Cowin (Nota) and John White (Milus)
but I will leave the experts to say which is which.

Brian Lear

Thanks Brian,

How good is that!!

Here's me, searching away on google ....seeing if I can confirm the event,
& having given up, I pop back to the topic to find this!

While I was uploading the photos last night I was growing more & more doubtful that it
could be a club event.

I hope you found the "club" reference a compliment!!

I also hope that having the photo set on the forum brings back good memories.

Having established the event, here are the remaining photos from the day....to fully record
my days shooting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also just discovered in my un-scanned neg files the elusive NSSCC hillclimb.....
on 28th Nov 1971....a definite club event...perhaps one for later.

Lynton

#3735 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:08

Barrie Garner, with number 64 on his car, is in a Bowin P3...

It has a Holden 6 in the back. Check the carbies.

I'll be in the corner, where I belong!

Great photos, by the way.

BM

#3736 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:17

What a mixture, Lynton!

And how often do you see an EJ Holden with a vinyl roof... much less competing?

I'll try for those unidentified Clubmans. First of them, with the striped helmet, would be Barry Pinson, then the unstriped helmet and the swing axle suspension would be Cowin's. The Milus would be the car with the lighter coloured body and darker noseband turning into a pointed panel up the bonnet. But that was Mike Sullivan's car, right?

As for the latest lot, I guess Brian will post a full listing, I'd just like to 'identify' either Leigh or Ross Porter in the Datsun.

#3737 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:13

Remember Howard? This is from the Elfin Catalina raced in Western Australia in the late 60s by Stan Starcevich and later Stuart Kostera.

Posted Image

#3738 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:24

Of course we remember the Howard & Sons aluminium downdraught head for the Ford engine...

It was made by TNFer Geoff Smedley.

#3739 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:39

Two previously unpublished shots of the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari refuelling at Caversham, 1965, extracted from two small cracked and fading colour prints.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#3740 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:01

That's the late Bob Atkin refuelling the car on the left, is it David McKay nearer the front?

Nice to see stuff like that, Terry...

#3741 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:12

Another pic of the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 250LM This one taken in Sandown pit area in Feb 1965

Posted Image

#3742 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:11

Thanks Brian,

How good is that!!

Here's me, searching away on google ....seeing if I can confirm the event,
& having given up, I pop back to the topic to find this!

While I was uploading the photos last night I was growing more & more doubtful that it
could be a club event.

I hope you found the "club" reference a compliment!!

I also hope that having the photo set on the forum brings back good memories.

Having established the event, here are the remaining photos from the day....to fully record
my days shooting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also just discovered in my un-scanned neg files the elusive NSSCC hillclimb.....
on 28th Nov 1971....a definite club event...perhaps one for later.

Lynton

The Nota pics are of Barry Pinson in the striped helmet. He still owns the car, which he bought new in 68. The Milus ford was owned by John White in the 70's. Barry, John, & dad used to have great battles in the hillclimb series in the 70's. Mike Sullivan did own the Milus for a few years, and I believe it is now in Qld with Grahan & Helen Hunt, but now very different to original. And the nota with the white ring on the nose is dads.

The next lot of hillclimb pics that I think I can name are the Mini No 6 - Wilf Slater or John Brooks. Brian would know for sure. Leigh Porter in the datsun 2000 no 38, Peter Irwin in the TR Triumph and Mini 92 is Peter Mullin. The rest???

#3743 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 13:44

Amaroo Park 31st May 1970

Posted Image
John Leffler & Neil Mason

Posted Image
Wayne Rogerson
(For those of you with a magnifying glass on the pits!!)

Posted Image
Brian Foley

Amaroo Park 1st August 1970
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Graham Ryan...the car always looked like it meant business

And now the Formula Libre practice

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now two race starts 2nd August 1970

Posted Image
Sports cars

Posted Image
Minis plus two ring-ins

Posted Image
Errol Richardson & Co

Posted Image
And the spectator's late afternoon view of the circuit
from just below the crest on the main straight.

#3744 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 108 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 14:00

From the top....
Car # 92 is Peter Mullin - Morris Cooper.
Car # 96 is J. Yates - Morris 850.
Car 111 is L. Pearson - Morris Cooper S.
Next is Paul Yager - Holden HR.
Next is Des Byrne - Holden EJ.
Car # 34 is Neville Cohen - Triumph Herald.
Next is (possibly) B. Drew - Morris Cooper.
Car # 24 is Peter Irwin - Triumph TR5PI.
Car # 25 is Gordon "Pez" Perry - Triumph TR3.
Car # 38 is Leigh Porter - Datsun 2000.
Car # 44 is J.McClean - Morgan +4.
Car # 6 is John Brooks - Morris Cooper S.
Car # 40 is Charlie Tolhurst - Holden Torana XU1.
Next is (possibly) Russell Mansfield - Morris Cooper S.

Several of the above rely on a bit of guesswork on my part.

Brian Lear

#3745 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 14:22

Just to show that the Australian Minis raced in NZ, too.

Don Holland, Lynn Brown and John Leffler mixed it with the local cars at the Easter Bay Park meeting

Posted Image

Of course the NZ cars were running to GpV regs, and the Minis weren't, but it made for a good race

#3746 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:25

Amaroo Park 31st May 1970

Posted Image
John Leffler & Neil Mason

Posted Image
Wayne Rogerson
(For those of you with a magnifying glass on the pits!!)

Posted Image
Brian Foley

Amaroo Park 1st August 1970
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Graham Ryan...the car always looked like it meant business

And now the Formula Libre practice

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now two race starts 2nd August 1970

Posted Image
Sports cars

Posted Image
Minis plus two ring-ins

Posted Image
Errol Richardson & Co

Posted Image
And the spectator's late afternoon view of the circuit
from just below the crest on the main straight.

I think I can identify some of these. #46 Nota Major. #11 Bob Caddy Bobin Ford. #38 Nota Din. #47 Citroen Special. Keep em coming lyntonh,they are great.

Dale.

#3747 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:04

I can't agree with the Bobbin...

My friend Malcolm Smith had it some time about three years after this date, it had a Holden engine and Hydramatic transmission and never once looked that ugly!

Fred Gibson's up there wasting the time of the old Traco Olds as the R & T Chev carrying No 3.

#3748 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 108 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 13:06

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Aug 10 2010, 17:04' post='4536382']
I can't agree with the Bobbin...

My friend Malcolm Smith had it some time about three years after this date, it had a Holden engine and Hydramatic transmission and never once looked that ugly!

Ray
I think the Bobbin Holden was a different car entirely.

My only contribution to the Amaroo pictures is...
Car # 28 is Ken Ward - Lotus 18.
Car # 6 looks like Terry Harris - Triumph TR2?
Car # 106 looks like Tony Cavo - Abarth?

Brian Lear

#3749 2Bob

2Bob

• 403 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 21:58

I think I can identify some of these. #46 Nota Major. #11 Bob Caddy Bobin Ford. #38 Nota Din. #47 Citroen Special. Keep em coming lyntonh,they are great.

Dale.

"#47 Citroen Special" - would be Bob Winley.

"Keep em coming lyntonh,they are great." couldn't agree more.

#3750 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 22:16

Ray, the Bobbin Holden was built later than the Bobbin Ford. The Bobbin Ford had a supercharged 4 cyl Ford engine in the front and I think was mainly used for hillclimbs. The Bobbin Holden was also built as a hillclimber.

Dale.