Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8600 replies to this topic

#3901 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 584 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:38

G'day Dick, I must put brain in gear before opening my mouth. I don't know what car it is but it is a good looking bit of kit. see you at Wakefield.

Could it be the So-Cal Special? I have a memory of it being there (it's on some home movie footage my uncle took) and I seem to remember Dad telling me it had a Holden engine.

But if I'm wrong, try to remember I was only 8 years old at the time!

Bruce Moxon

Advertisement

#3902 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 218 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:29

Is it not amazing if you read fully all the posts.

The two openwheelers , Yes , Jack Bono in the other Brabham I owned , never seen
photo before .

That car is the ex Dave Walker / thence Ralph Sach / Kevin Bartlett / Frank Gardner [ last three all for Mildren's ]
Competition Cars Australia / Mike Champion/ Brian Page / Jack Bono / Chris Farrell and everybody else BT2 Brabham
FJ-12-62 , the car that was track tested by Sports Car World August ? 1963 on the cover and competed in 4 or 5 Tasman
series , I rebuilt back to Mildren Twin-cam specs ran for ten years and is Col. Haste's car now.

Didn't recognise the car as Ian Ferguson's Bowin P3A ch.# 101 ?? without the ECKS soft drink stickers.

Bryan.

#3903 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:19

Originally posted by brucemoxon
Could it be the So-Cal Special? I have a memory of it being there (it's on some home movie footage my uncle took) and I seem to remember Dad telling me it had a Holden engine.

But if I'm wrong, try to remember I was only 8 years old at the time!

Better break the news to your old man gently...

The 'So-Cal' Special was the George Reed 'White Car' as raced particularly by Dick Bland, it always had a V8, though I never did find out if Walters actually had an Oldsmobile in it at one time.

#3904 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:27

I only recall the So-Cal Special with a 'Y' block Ford, but that was during the time Frank Walters had it. That reminds me: The Citroen Special #47 raced in Formula Libre races during the same period, and was driven by Don James who is a near neighbour of mine. I keep meaning to call in and ask him if he knows about this site. He'd love it.

#3905 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:02

So Cal definitely V8(various). Laurie Knight's lovely little Bowin was a P3 and I am led to believe for sale now, still I think with Laurie.

#3906 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 468 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:19

And more importantly, where is the major sponsor that helped bankroll the racing since the Mustang landed?

Hmm; Googling turns up a Sterling Ford in Bundoora (suburb of Melb). I wonder if they were in existence back then and this was a 'one off' deal with them. The Sterling stickers seem to be conveniently placed over where the normal Coca Cola logos were.

#3907 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 516 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:18

Posted Image

Nowra Hill Climb 1961/62 ... The car pictured I believe was known as the Robinsen/Robertson Special, it was built in Victoria & had a Fiat 500 front end & if my memory is correct ran a V twin cylinder motor bike motor.
The car had a space frame chassis but the special thing about the chassis was that it was fabricated from oval tubing which was laid up in the vertical, the car was Royal Blue with the Chassis being White.
It only ran in local South Coast events but mainly in events ran by the Wollongong Sporting Car Club in the period from 1959 – 1963.
Can anyone assist with known History of this car, thanks, Daniel.

#3908 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 731 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:18

Open wheeler practice Catalina Park 24th January 1970...my only day there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 01:25.

#3909 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 731 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:25

And the sports cars -same day

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 01:37.

#3910 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,539 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 13:05

Open wheeler practice Catalina Park 24th January 1970...my only day there.

Any chance of some identification of the drivers & cars?

BTW great photos please keep posting!

#3911 seldo

seldo

• 1,454 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 13:33

Brings back some memories,Jack Grenager's(spell?) American Raceways,just up the road from the Sydney Speed Shop,we use to compete in most of his races but not the 24/12 hour ones although we use to watch the start and finish,held on the track with the hills from memory. Amazing how quickly the fad collapsed,Jacks place went from where you had a long wait to use the tracks to a Ghost Town in a few Months and closed shortly after.My Uncle purchased the Narwee track at the height of the craze and lost Thousands when the kids lost interest.

Hehe...a bit O/T but it reminds me - a mate had a track down at Bondi, and there was a young kid of about 9 0r 10 who was a regular. He used to spend a fortune, always bought new cars, always had plenty to spend.
One day my mate asked him a few leading questions about how come he always had so much money to spend........
Kid owns-up without so much as a blush - "Oh I just go to Woolies and buy a packet of raffle tickets and go and sell them at the pub......" "A 50c packet of tickets gets me about $200..."
An entrepreneur of the future - I wonder what he's doing now...?
Sorry - as you were - back on topic...

#3912 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 584 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:18

Hehe...a bit O/T but it reminds me - a mate had a track down at Bondi, and there was a young kid of about 9 0r 10 who was a regular. He used to spend a fortune, always bought new cars, always had plenty to spend.
One day my mate asked him a few leading questions about how come he always had so much money to spend........
Kid owns-up without so much as a blush - "Oh I just go to Woolies and buy a packet of raffle tickets and go and sell them at the pub......" "A 50c packet of tickets gets me about $200..."
An entrepreneur of the future - I wonder what he's doing now...?
Sorry - as you were - back on topic...

Eastern Suburbs huh?

Probably grew up to be a director of One-Tel or HIH Insurance maybe?

Bruce Moxon

#3913 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 21:19

Before it gets overwhelmed by better known and more recent cars, the slim beast at Nowra hillclimb was/is the Robertson Indian Victorian built in early 1950s, briefly hillclimbed there before moving to NSW south coast, and quite recently appeared at a Wakefield Park GEAR Club meeting -- looking just the same

#3914 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 22:32

Lynton's latest... I'll have a bit of a go... Sports Cars first...

72 - Peter Wilson (Nota 1500) (easiest first!), also in the pit scene where it should be Paul Meyer's Elan passing by.

92 - Is that Peter Lander in one of his first drives in the ex-Macarthur Super 7?

41 - The aforementioned Frank Walters, but what car is it?

25 - David Moline (Elfin 1725cc)

65 - Bob Rollinghoff (Nota 1100)

47 - Ken Ward (Morgan 4/4)

49 - Gronky in the Schazum Clubman during the Graeme McClintock ownership

And the Racing Cars:

73 - Kevin Fahey (Nymph - probably when Imp powered)

19 - Graham Wood (Cooper Climax)

I really should know more, but I'm afraid I don't. A programme would work wonders.

And do you have anything of Leo winning in the Pacer, Lynton?

Edited by Ray Bell, 02 September 2010 - 01:29.

#3915 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 218 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 22:59

Openwheelers ,

73 is indeed Kevin Fahey in the Nymph 875cc
The Lotus 20 is # 23 and is Ken Farr , 1475cc red/black only photo I have ever seen
of that combination of car / driver.
11 is Andy MacGregor , MacGregor Ford 1098 cc blue
19 is Clive Osborne / Graham Wood entry of 2.5 FPF Cooper Repco Climax
14 is Victorian driver Don Ubergang Elfin 600B

Sports cars ,

65 is Bob Rollinghoff , Nota Sportsman
92 John Maroulis Lotus soup sen
41 is R.Worboys / Frank Walters in the Volante Ford of 4457 cc , Lime green.
47 and 49 as per Ray Bell
19 is R.Kennedy [ Bob] Triumph TR3
72 Peter Wilson , Nota Sportsman
88 is Robin Hood , Elfin Ford 1498cc .

The Bowin on the start finish straight with other openwheelers is Bob Beasley .

The Lotus Elan in a group shot is Paul Meyer's .

#3916 david5

david5

• 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 00:38

I used to see Bob Rollinghoff from time to time as he was farming not far from me, but haven't seen him for a while.

#3917 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 22:11

Openwheelers ,

19 is Clive Osborne / Graham Wood entry of 2.5 FPF Cooper Repco Climax

I am fascinated by this car.

It appears to be the ex-John Youl T55 "Pencil-line" Cooper - curved windscreen profile being the clue notwithstanding the modified rear suspension - but I was unaware the car ran as late as 1970.

Does anybody have any details of the car's later life and more particularly, where it might be today?

JB

#3918 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 516 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:58

73 - Kevin Fahey (Nymph - probably when Imp powered)

What a lovely car I remember it well at Catalina, can anyone complete the History of this car & does it still live today, any more photo's of the car?

John many thanks for the info on thr Robinson Special, it has to be near on 50 years since I last saw this car.

#3919 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 218 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:28

Jim,

I am certainly no Cooper expert , so referred to the Late John Blanden's 2nd version of
Historic Racing Cars in Australia .

Chassis number F1/10/61 , Works , Brabham , John Youl , Arnold Glass , Joe Hills, Clive Osborne
in Australia , thence to Pat Burke's Modena collection , financial problems intervened and receivers
sold car in the late 1980's to Christopher Mann [ dealer in U.K. ] thence to collection of '' Hollywood
movie producer '' their words , David Cronenberg , apparently raced in US vintage races , thence came to
light when offered for sale 22/23 June 2000 at Goodwood auction by Brooks as part of Festival of Speed ,
nothing known since.

Bryan.

Edited by BT 35-8, 04 September 2010 - 09:30.

Advertisement

#3920 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:06

Jim,

I am certainly no Cooper expert , so referred to the Late John Blanden's 2nd version of
Historic Racing Cars in Australia .

Chassis number F1/10/61 , Works , Brabham , John Youl , Arnold Glass , Joe Hills, Clive Osborne
in Australia , thence to Pat Burke's Modena collection , financial problems intervened and receivers
sold car in the late 1980's to Christopher Mann [ dealer in U.K. ] thence to collection of '' Hollywood
movie producer '' their words , David Cronenberg , apparently raced in US vintage races , thence came to
light when offered for sale 22/23 June 2000 at Goodwood auction by Brooks as part of Festival of Speed ,
nothing known since.

Bryan.

Thanks Bryan,

This car won the Sandown International in March 1962.

Brabham. Surtees, McLaren , Daigh. Moss , Clark , Patterson ,...

Does it get any better?

I'm sure the hack wordsmiths who talk up London auction house events wud know this

JB

#3921 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:30

I believe it's now in East Asia somewhere

#3922 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 745 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:40

Sports cars ,

88 is Robin Hood , Elfin Ford 1498cc .

Robin Hood. Really?

#3923 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:52

Yes, he was a Parramatta Road car dealer, I think...

And he was the original owner of the Mawer raced for several years by Graeme McClintock.

#3924 seldo

seldo

• 1,454 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:08

Eastern Suburbs huh?

Probably grew up to be a director of One-Tel or HIH Insurance maybe?

Bruce Moxon

Hehe...probably. Can't remember his name unfortunately

#3925 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 745 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:29

Yes, he was a Parramatta Road car dealer, I think...

:lol:

I am biting my tongue, hard ... (or are you just taking the mickey?)

#3926 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:06

You mean, gave to the rich etc......?

#3927 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:11

The Robin Hood Elfin was later raced by Vince Meleca and sold on, eventually recently into the hands of The Pride of Yamba and well known accountant, rugby enthusiast at all levels and roles, former apprentice nightsoil expert, and all round evil if admirable person Doug Anderson in whose hands it will mince around in Regularity events at Wakefield Park, Goulburn in 10 days or so. A superb restoration of a lovely car.

#3928 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:24

No, that's what I believed he was... a car dealer...

And Vince Meleca, my old mate who used a washing machine tub to make his cycle guards at the front! I'd suggested that one of those would make a perfect mold for a fibreglass guard, he went and found one, then realised it was aluminium and cut it up to use it as it was.

The only Clubman out there with 'Water Level' inscribed on it.

I met up with his co-owner of the car, Ron Lane a couple of years ago, but I don't recall where.

#3929 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 731 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:36

:lol:

I am biting my tongue, hard ... (or are you just taking the mickey?)

That's strange...it's almost as if you've heard of another Robin Hood...
the only one I know of is the one who raced a Clubman way back when.

#3930 seldo

seldo

• 1,454 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:49

No, that's what I believed he was... a car dealer...

True! He had a yard called....funnily enough...Robin Hood Motors...

#3931 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:59

I remember Robin Hood motors.
It was almost the perfect name for a Parramatta road car salesman, most of them were Robin and a lot of them were Hoods.

#3932 wagons46

wagons46

• 255 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:03

True! He had a yard called....funnily enough...Robin Hood Motors...

Parramatta RD Homebush IIRC

Edited by wagons46, 06 September 2010 - 09:04.

#3933 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:30

Which makes me wonder what ever happened to the other Mawer...

The one with a Datsun motor stuffed in it, owned by the son of the hotelier at Homebush.

Richard Longes was the second owner of the Robin Hood car, wasn't he?

#3934 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 431 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:46

Some pics and info scanned from an Australian 1955 Year Book that may be of interest.There are quite few pages so will post additional info periodically if of interest....

Scanned items removed.

Edited by Ellis French, 06 September 2010 - 22:11.

#3935 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:12

Out of copyright now, is it EF?

Also, as this thread is for people to post their own photos, did you really take all those?

Edited by David McKinney, 06 September 2010 - 10:14.

#3936 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:24

At least we can offer some good advice...

When you scan pics in magazines like that, you often get the effect you have on most of these... it's called a moire pattern (or is it 'moiré'?). You can avoid that by photographing the pages with a digital camera instead.

Just put the page on the floor in good natural light, but out of the sun, and line it up carefully and shoot.

#3937 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 266 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:20

The Robin Hood Elfin was later raced by Vince Meleca and sold on, eventually recently into the hands of The Pride of Yamba and well known accountant, rugby enthusiast at all levels and roles, former apprentice nightsoil expert, and all round evil if admirable person Doug Anderson in whose hands it will mince around in Regularity events at Wakefield Park, Goulburn in 10 days or so. A superb restoration of a lovely car.

John, I don't think you could call The Pride of Yamba evil!! Admirable,yes, but not evil. It should be about your shout at the Astor on Friday 17th.
Dale.

#3938 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 731 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:34

Warwick Farm Practice 6th September 1969
Low quality shots... for interest...a couple of names obvious...

under tow at the end of the session
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 01:00.

#3939 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 23:05

Team,

I seem to remember a couple of pics of Big Pete's white Mustang on here.

Can anyone confirm what year/model the car was?

Reason I ask is that, as a project, I'm planning on making some 1/20th or 1/24th scale models of a few "old" aussie improved tourers/sports sedans - already in the pipeline is Moffat's Coca Cola Mustang (and maybe a second one in Brut colours) and a couple of John Leffler's Mini's - and am looking at kit options to use.

Car's I'm considering doing are: Pete's Mustang, Moffat Mustang (Coca Cola and maybe Brut), Jane Camaro, 2 x Leffler Mini's (old yellow and the Blue/white car), Bill Brown's Carrera, Jim McKeown (911 or Carrera), Foley's Chesterfield 911 and the Alfa GTaM (wasn't it), Barry Sharp Jaguar Sports Sedan, Bruce Cary's Grace Bros Capri (if I can find a suitable kit base).

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by scran, 07 September 2010 - 23:06.

Advertisement

#3940 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 431 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 23:27

Team,

I seem to remember a couple of pics of Big Pete's white Mustang on here.

Can anyone confirm what year/model the car was?

Reason I ask is that, as a project, I'm planning on making some 1/20th or 1/24th scale models of a few "old" aussie improved tourers/sports sedans - already in the pipeline is Moffat's Coca Cola Mustang (and maybe a second one in Brut colours) and a couple of John Leffler's Mini's - and am looking at kit options to use.

Car's I'm considering doing are: Pete's Mustang, Moffat Mustang (Coca Cola and maybe Brut), Jane Camaro, 2 x Leffler Mini's (old yellow and the Blue/white car), Bill Brown's Carrera, Jim McKeown (911 or Carrera), Foley's Chesterfield 911 and the Alfa GTaM (wasn't it), Barry Sharp Jaguar Sports Sedan, Bruce Cary's Grace Bros Capri (if I can find a suitable kit base).

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Which Mustang....
65 K Code
67 GTA

#3941 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 23:58

Ellis - you asking me?

This car:

http://img820.images...02/27805195.jpg

Page 90, post 3568 of this thread

#3942 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 00:02

The '67 GTA.

#3943 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:50

At least we can offer some good advice...

When you scan pics in magazines like that, you often get the effect you have on most of these... it's called a moire pattern (or is it 'moiré'?). You can avoid that by photographing the pages with a digital camera instead.

Just put the page on the floor in good natural light, but out of the sun, and line it up carefully and shoot.

All scanners have filters in their software for scanning from printed magazines which eliminate the moire effect. You just have to tell the scanner what you're scanning.

#3944 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:40

But some work better than others. Mine will still often produce a moire effect, even when I have got the settings to scan a photo. Bt then again, the All-In-One I have only cost $29AUD new.

#3945 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:11

I've never had one that worked...

But a digital photo does it right every time. I believe that once you're used to it it can be quicker than a scanner. But it's not always as accurate.

#3946 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,640 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:24

I know it is supposed to be personal photos but I recommend taking a look at these two videos on Youtube from Bathurst in 1960. One is open wheelers and the other is sports and touring cars with a couple of bike shots at the end. It even shows Wally Mitchell's crash at Reid Park.

Edited by Catalina Park, 08 September 2010 - 10:25.

#3947 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:57

On scanning printed pics, when I first tripped over the moire effect, I discovered that by placing the pic on the glass at say a 10 or 15 degree angle for the scan, and then rotating it later, the effect vanished. Another lurk which applies only to printed photos is to use the "blur" of "soften" function in whatever image processing software you use - I use Paint Shop Pro 7, of vast age, for most work because it is very easy to use, but I also have Photoshop.

On magazine pics, yes, they are copyright. So are whole pages of text. I guess my Racing Car News rally reports from the period are copyright Terry Walker still.

#3948 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:59

Originally posted by Catalina Park

Easter '61, unless there's a mix in it...

Brian Thomson in the Monza with a roof is a giveaway, there's also David McKay in the Lola shown there, he wasn't there in 1960.

So many cars and drivers come into focus in this, it's great. Albert Bridge in the 203, Paul Samuels in the Berkeley, John Ampt in the Cooper Jaguar, the nose-to-tailing of Geoghegan and Pitt in the Jaguars, well worth the time of looking!

#3949 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,640 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:04

A lot of it looks like October 60 but the bikes at the end don't. :drunk: I think it is a mix of years.

#3950 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:14

The second one is October 1960...

There's only a couple of question marks over the first one and Easter '61. There's an MG TC in there, I think the number's 146, it's not listed in the Bathurst book. But otherwise there's a lot there that simply wasn't there in '60 and was in '61... along with a lot, of course, that were at both.

Whatever, it's good to have it available, it gives a good impression of what it was like back then... and even a bit of crowd scene to show what it was like off the track.