There were four, now one, 2 seater,2 Litre cars from 1949 to 2000

#353 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 22:12

Originally posted by kaydee
Another photo of the Owen Bailey Lago Talbot at Albert Park in 1956 -

Posted Image

Great photo.The young guy in the overalls is Ian Tate.Ian once told me how he rode out to the track sitting in the cockpit of the Lago as it was towed behind a Rolls Royce,and to think my father was only 24 at the time(family wealth) FYI Ian owns a car called the MG/Holden that Firth built and my father raced at the '54 Southport AGP.

#354 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:37

Kaydee,

I am repeating myself, but your photos are priceless..you MUST publish a book of them.

Stan

#355 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:36

More photos from Albert Park AGP meeting in 1956 -
Posted Image
Peter Whitehead's Ferrari

Posted Image
Stan Jones's Maserati 250F

#356 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,599 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 21:19

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Kaydee,

I am repeating myself, but your photos are priceless..you MUST publish a book of them.

Stan

I will order mine now. Fantastic archive material which needs recording.

RL

#357 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:55

More photos from Albert Park 1956 AGP meeting -
Posted Image
Derek Jolly's Decca special in pits at Albert Park '56

Posted Image
Derek Jolly in Decca special at Albert Park '56

#358 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:30

More Albert Park photos - AGP meeting 1956 -

Posted Image
D Type Jaguar engine - not sure who? - Maybe somebody could identify?

Posted Image
Tom Sulman's Aston Martin DB3S

#359 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:52

Kaydee,

Your photos are so good they took make to back in Grade 6 again!....COR , Bedfords, policeman who look like policeman and not Hollywood cowboys...ahhh

However, down to business, the D type Jaguar-engined car is almost certainly the Cooper Jaguar given the curved chassis rails. The D type had straight square tubing quite different to the pic.... although I must confess i do not know when the Cooper Jaguar arrived here and who drove it at Albert Park in 1956.. I suspect Stan Jones.....but i could be wrong.

Stan

Advertisement

#360 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:24

I must confess i do not know when the Cooper Jaguar arrived here and who drove it at Albert Park in 1956.. I suspect Stan Jones.....but i could be wrong

First race was the Moomba TT at Albert Park in March when Stan Jones was the driver
However, he sold the car almost immediately to John Aldis, who I think was behind the wheel at the Olympic meeting

#361 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:31

I have Stan Jones' first race in it at Fishermen's Bend on February 11, 1956 where he won both the Lucas Trophy and a sports car scratch before retiring in the Victoria Trophy.

Then at Albert Park on March 10, he finished second in the Argus Cup but retired with bearing failure during the Moomba TT.

John Aldis raced it in Qld and NSW but only briefly and sold it to Alan Gray who first used it at Albert Park on November 24, 1956.

Source: John Blanden's Historic Racing Cars In Australia Vol 2.

#362 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:48

Posted Image
Tom Sulman's Aston Martin DB3S

I have very early memories of making a pest of my young self in Toms garage in Darlinghurst :cool:

but, is that a Simca Aronde beside Toms car?? too early to be an Amazon??

Once again Kaydee, I must agree with Stan (just for a change) these magnificent shots should be published after photographic enhancement etc ....Cheers, Mick

#363 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:04

275GT - 4

Yes that is a Simca Aronde ..David Mckay drove one which was very rapid ...

Nice to see you are starting getting things right at last.

Stan

#364 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:15

Originally posted by David Shaw
I have Stan Jones' first race in it at Fishermen's Bend on February 11, 1956 where he won both the Lucas Trophy and a sports car scratch before retiring in the Victoria Trophy.

Then at Albert Park on March 10, he finished second in the Argus Cup but retired with bearing failure during the Moomba TT.

John Aldis raced it in Qld and NSW but only briefly and sold it to Alan Gray who first used it at Albert Park on November 24, 1956.

Dammit - I was too too hasty :blush:
I was trying to sort the two Albert Parks but should have taken the time to look more deeply
Funnily enough, as I was typing 'John Aldis' I thought he didn't keep it long either.

#365 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:08

Originally posted by David Shaw

I still have my program for the 1956 Albert Park meeting and the only Cooper Jaguar entered is listed with a J.A. Aldis as the driver. Obviously it could have been sold prior to the meeting and Alan Gray actually drove it?

#366 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 13:14

More 1956 Albert Park photos -

Posted Image
Bill Patterson during practice with his Cooper Climax

Posted Image
Forming up on the starting grid for the AGP

#367 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:21

Kaydee,

I would think the Patterson Cooper is being driven from car park to pits or similar.. not being practiced in earnest.

I base such an opinion on the following:

-the driver is not helmeted
-there appear to be pedestrians casually walking along the path - (including a very elegant - lady in a 1950's dress)
- and an early Holden sedan is parked on the roadside!

Marvelous pics which, apart from the priceless motor racing content, also give a real feel for the times - long forgotten Australia I fear.

"There is no gulf so vast as that between us an the recent past" - Barry Humphries

A Reflective,
Before Noon
Stan

#368 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:38

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Kaydee,

Marvelous pics which, apart from the priceless motor racing content, also give a real feel for the times - long forgotten Australia I fear.

[B]"There is no gulf so vast as that between us an the recent past"
- Barry Humphries

Absolutely fantastic reminders of the past.....

#369 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:39

More 1956 Albert Park photos -

Posted Image
Bill Patterson during practice with his Cooper Climax

Posted Image
Forming up on the starting grid for the AGP

Another great australian name bites the dust, P.B.R...........

#370 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:43

I spent many an hour there on the night shift in East Bentleigh. :o

#371 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:37

Kaydee,

In your Peter Whitehead Ferrari picture there are 4 people in the foreground sitting on the ground next to a red car.

Is it too fanciful to suggest that the man in the cloth cap is Reg Hunt?

Further, is it even more fanciful to suggest the person on his left is Black Jack?..to be honest I cant recall if JB was at the 1956 AGP meeting at all...but it sure looks like him.

Also, the fellow kneeling facing the others looks tantalisingly like somebody well known ..but i confess I havent got a clue who...he has been worrying me all day.

HELPPPPPPPP

Stan

#372 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:44

Allan Ashton in checked shirt?

#373 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:45

I think the hairline is wrong for it to be JB (who was at the meeting) - and surely the cloth-cap bloke is older than a 1956 Reg Hunt?
The one that got me is the bloke on the right of the group - looks as if I should recognise him but I can't

(But I did get John McMillan at the wheel of the Glass Supersqualo in its photo)

#374 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:30

Yes ......the check shirt is Alan Ashton... given the earlier Kaydee pic of Davo's Aston at Longford .....does it follow then that the cloth cap is Lex Davison?

And David, I am still not convinced that is not JB sitting next him.

Stan

#375 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:09

Jack Brabham was entered, but didn't start.

#376 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:00

My recollection of taking that photo is that Alan Ashton had just joined a group of "Overseas mechanics / pit crew" for a chat.
The group definitely did not include Jack B, Lex D or Reg H.

#377 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:20

Alan Ashton warming up Lex Davison's "renta car" Cooper in the paddock at the AGP meeting at Mallala in October '61

Posted Image

#378 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 13:02

That car looks remarkably like the one he bought from Bruce McLaren at the end of the '63 International series...

And so the discussion about checked shirts and anonymous people can continue more logically:

Posted Image

#379 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 13:11

Yes ......the check shirt is Alan Ashton... given the earlier Kaydee pic of Davo's Aston at Longford .....does it follow then that the cloth cap is Lex Davison?

And David, I am still not convinced that is not JB sitting next him.

Stan

I'd nearly bet my house that it is JB on the left, and Lex Davison of course was always a flat-cap wearer, so that figures, and the guy in the chequered shirt rings a bell but I can't put a name to him - maybe Alan Ashton, but I won't argue...

Advertisement

#380 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 22:07

Posted Image

Just getting back to this 1963 pic...

What about the cars in the background? Is that a Lotus 18 with No 16 on it? The rear engined car in the bay looks like a home-built car, does anyone recognise it? And is that the Norholfordor over there on the left?

There are other cars there that need picking out too... maybe a Lotus 23 included?

#381 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 23:07

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Just getting back to this 1963 pic...

What about the cars in the background? Is that a Lotus 18 with No 16 on it? The rear engined car in the bay looks like a home-built car, does anyone recognise it? And is that the Norholfordor over there on the left?
There are other cars there that need picking out too... maybe a Lotus 23 included?

Ray, I'm sadly lacking in the date and details for the above Mallala photo with Alan Ashton as I didn't keep all of the programs from events that I attended.
The slide was dated '63, but I'd convinced myself that it must have been incorrect and actually taken at the '61 AGP meeting.
If it's a 1963 Mallala meeting (and you are probably correct) what meeting do you think it is from?

Here's another couple of slides (also dated '63) from the same meeting to help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#382 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 23:18

Well, with David McKay and Lex Davison both there, and Bib Stillwell surely had the Brabham on hand as well as the Monaco, it would most likely be the Gold Star meeting, which was usually (but not always) in October...

Wasn't that the first time they ran the shortened circuit?

And now we see that it's an Elfin wearing number 16... I should have thought of that earlier, shouldn't I? I was just looking at the rear suspension in the first pic.

And I think that's Spencer Martin, perhaps, kneeling beside David's car. Your third pic certainly clarifies that it's the Eclipse Zephyr in dark green with the exhausts out the top.

#383 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 23:40

Ray, you're probably correct about it being a Gold Star meeting and also being October.
It certainly looks like Spencer Martin alongside David's car but I don't remember if Spencer ever raced at Mallala?
I do however remember travelling to a Mallala meeting with David McKay and Greg Cusack and don't know if this was that same meeting?
Also, did Chris Amon ever compete at Mallala as I have a very vague feeling that he was also with us at that time but I can't find any photos of him.

#384 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 23:49

That would be 1962 if Chris Amon was there...

The meeting would have been the first weekend in October, which I think is the SA Labor Day weekend, right? October 14 was Warwick Farm, Amon drove the second SV 2.5 at that meeting, so October 7 or 8 would have been Mallala and Amon could well have been there. That would mean that Bathurst's 6-hour race was on October 1, as the NSW Labor Day falls on the first Monday in October.

I wouldn't expect that Spencer was there as anything other than crewman and observer as David prepared him for his drive the following year. That deal would have only just been done at that time.

#385 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 00:50

Ray, thanks for your help - it's certainly difficult without programs and dates to piece everything together and date my photos.
It doesn't look like I took any colour slides at the 1962 Mallala meeting but I have just found some B&W photos that I took of Bib Stillwell that look like they were taken at Mallala and must have been about that time -
Posted Image
Stillwell Transporter and Cooper Monaco with Gerry Brown walking down the ramp

Posted Image
Bib sitting in Cooper Monaco

Posted Image
Bib receiving winner's trophy.

#386 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 00:55

I'm just working from memory at this point, Kevin... my mags are at home and I'm not...

What surprises me in the first of thes B & W pics is that it looks like Bib's open wheeler is wearing number 16.

#387 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:04

Not sure about the numbers - as we know Bib usually preferred #6.
At least both of the cars include a 6 - and as the cars were just being unloaded maybe the numbers are from the previous meeting?

#388 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 13:03

Some photos from Collingrove Hill Climb in 1957 -

Posted Image
Derek Jolly arriving with his Decca Special

Posted Image
Coventry Climax engine in the Decca Special

Posted Image
Patto in the Cooper Climax Bobtail

Posted Image
Motorcycle and sidecar leaving the starting block at Collingrove Hill Climb.
A bit 'off topic' but shows the variety that we used to see...........

#389 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 13:19

It just keeps getting better and better.

RL

#390 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:23

kaydee,

The Aston Martin DBR4/250 pictured at Malalla in 1963..for your records prior to publishing..is driven by Victorian Pat Hawthorne ...usually entered by Clayleigh Service Station...

Hawthorne was one of the original founders/developers of Calder Raceway and was a fearsome conductor but never really got near the top.

Stan

#391 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:36

Not sure about the numbers - as we know Bib usually preferred #6.
At least both of the cars include a 6 - and as the cars were just being unloaded maybe the numbers are from the previous meeting?

The numeral "1" on the 16 appears to be a bit crisper than the "6", maybe applied with tape to avoid a number conflict?

#392 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:36

Yes, David, we realise that... but the question is when and for what?

I doubt that Bib ever ran another number for a Gold Star event unless it was a Tasman round or International meeting. A local would normally be asked to change his regular number rather than make a star like Bib change his.

Stan... is that the Aston? I think not. Check the pic of Davo in it from previous pages.

#393 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 13:13

My recollection is that Bib usually ran 6 on his open wheeler and 16 on the Monaco..but of course if the numbers were't available, anything that had 6 in it was acceptable.

Yes Ray, I am quite certain it is an Aston..you are confusing the earlier 1959 version with the "improved" 1960 IRS different head/exhaust version. Davo's first AGP car was the early version, while after he returned from Uk in 1961 he, and surprisingly Bib Stillwell, raced the later version.

Pat Hawthorn raced the later ex-Davison version without success in 1963/64 ..indeed it sat uselessly and unloved in his Clayton (Melbourne) Service Station as late as 1965 until the Arfur Daly's in UK decided it had a value.

Stan

#394 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 23:20

I have just hunted back through some files I have and unfortunately 1962 is the only year of the sixties that I don't have car numbers for a Mallala Gold Star round. :

#395 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 23:33

I'm certain that the SCC of SA would have a magazine in their library covering the meeting that would also have a pic of Bib's car in it...

And they no doubt have a programme too.

Edit: But it's not that hard... Max's collection of AMS covers that period, and seeing as it's just 30 feet from me a quick look found that Stillwell ran No 16 in that race.

#396 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 23:55

Good work Ray, would you have an idea then who used his coveted no. 6?

#397 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 00:25

No, but here's your big chance to justify a trip to Adelburg...

A visit to the SCC of SA will educated you greatly, I suspect. I'll get back to you if I learn anything more.

#398 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:18

A couple of photos taken at the Gold Star Meeting held on 28th March, 1959 at Port Wakefield -

Posted Image
Front row of grid - Stan Jones in the Maybach and Alec Mildren in Cooper Climax

Posted Image
Len Lukey, Cooper Climax rounding Stonyfell corner.

#399 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:26

So what's the story, Kevin?

Do you have a limited budget for scanning your slides or what? Doling them out a couple here and a couple there... why do we have to keep panting day and night waiting for more all the time?

Brilliant stuff! Just look at the concentration in those drivers... and how on earth did Jones get up that far on such a grid on a short tight track like that?

Advertisement

#400 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:42

Words fail me..

Just brilliant.............

What a superb pic..."S J Jones Maybach".....captures it all..Charlie Dean, Phil Irving, the real Repco et aL

A steep learning curve for the Sydney-centric latter-day cottage industries

JUST MAGNIFICENT

Stan