Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8696 replies to this topic

#3951 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:25

I guess my Racing Car News rally reports from the period are copyright Terry Walker still.

Depends on the deal you had. If they commissioned a report from you, the copyright's theirs. If you submitted it on spec, it's yours

Usually...

Advertisement

#3952 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:41

I believe it's usual for a 'one publishing' deal, David...

Certainly Chevron have told me I can have my stories they commissioned published elsewhere afterwards. And IIRC, people who contributed to RCN and later their articles were reprinted (in an annual) were paid again for them. Maybe not as much, however.

#3953 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 14:52

And IIRC, people who contributed to RCN and later their articles were reprinted (in an annual) were paid again for them. Maybe not as much, however.

It is the same with photos - I got the standard fee for a mugshot that was printed in Autosport. Then when it was reprinted I got about two thirds of the original fee. The best part was they re-printed it several times and each time I got the two thirds fee!

:wave:

#3954 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 21:42

I know it is supposed to be personal photos but I recommend taking a look at these two videos on Youtube from Bathurst in 1960. One is open wheelers and the other is sports and touring cars with a couple of bike shots at the end. It even shows Wally Mitchell's crash at Reid Park.

In the first video at about the 5:06 minute mark is an odd looking red coloured coupe baring number 76. It has some cues reminiscent of the Daimler SP250.
Anyone with any ideas?

Great videos BTW

#3955 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:05

MGTC # 146 is Lance Hill(ex Warren Blomfield)

The red coupe is the Molina/ Massola-built Monza Holden with crude hard top added

#3956 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:32

It doesn't appear in the entry list in your book, John...

Not that I can find anyway. Why are the '61 entry lists so different to the others, so hard to read and (probably) incomplete?

#3957 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:38

Pic P275 Lance Hill
P276 Monza Holden

#3958 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 23:32

And P280 on the grid listing...

So, once again, why are the listings different for '61 to the rest of the book?

#3959 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 00:38

Ray
At this distance, the starters/nonstarters and starting grid pattern used was probably because the author/researcher had both entry list and starting grids for almost every race-- unlike other meetings where both were not available. The tabled info presented was therefore no more or less complete than for any other meeting-- and every effort was made to ensure completeness. The easiest way to go is probably to identify car/driver, check the index, and go from there.

Catalina Park
Thanks for posting these videos, originally I think filmed by one of Bathurst's Bedwell family, long associated with Mt Panorama motor racing

lyntonh
Am I correct in thinking #12 in the Warwick Farm pics is the Buchanan-rebodied Skoden driven probably by Garry Summers?
What I do know is that the front on shot of Bob Rollinghoff's white/gold Nota before Creek Corner shows the front swing axles still in my Nota Formula Junior after the Rollinghoff car was written off. And the axle breaking David Medley Nota Sportsman at and after Creek gave its engine eventually to the same Nota Formula Junior

Is Stan still around? If so, look at the brief glimpses of Bill Patterson on the charge. One of his great days.

Advertisement

#3960 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:11

Yes, Stan is still around...

He posted just a day or two ago.

#3961 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:20

Ray
At this distance, the starters/nonstarters and starting grid pattern used was probably because the author/researcher had both entry list and starting grids for almost every race-- unlike other meetings where both were not available. The tabled info presented was therefore no more or less complete than for any other meeting-- and every effort was made to ensure completeness. The easiest way to go is probably to identify car/driver, check the index, and go from there.

Catalina Park
Thanks for posting these videos, originally I think filmed by one of Bathurst's Bedwell family, long associated with Mt Panorama motor racing

lyntonh
Am I correct in thinking #12 in the Warwick Farm pics is the Buchanan-rebodied Skoden driven probably by Garry Summers?
What I do know is that the front on shot of Bob Rollinghoff's white/gold Nota before Creek Corner shows the front swing axles still in my Nota Formula Junior after the Rollinghoff car was written off. And the axle breaking David Medley Nota Sportsman at and after Creek gave its engine eventually to the same Nota Formula Junior

Is Stan still around? If so, look at the brief glimpses of Bill Patterson on the charge. One of his great days.

I posted the photo of the Buchanan, despite its quality, to see if I could get a comment about the car from someone.

Didn't take long!!

I've already had a query about more photos of the car, but I've just checked & come up short.

Lynton Hemer

#3962 Clark Watson

Clark Watson

• 123 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 13:59

I can't be sure but from the information I have I'm a little suspicious that the no 12 Buchanan is one of the old Wally Mitchell Cars. It ran mainly as a GT but had 4 or 5 outings as a sports car when the white Wal Anderson car was being repaired. Wally was killed before this shot was taken howver the car did run again in the hands of it's new owners in that configuration. The wheels are right, as is the screen, the mirror, the rollbar position, two humps on the dash, the open style arches. I would love to see a higher res photo so we can put this to bed..........interesting.

#3963 2Bob

2Bob

• 398 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 22:26

MGTC # 146 is Lance Hill(ex Warren Blomfield)

The red coupe is the Molina/ Massola-built Monza Holden with crude hard top added

Would that be the Lance Hill from Hill's Hoists in Adelaide? His son was racing in South Oz in the late 1960s and Lance (of the hoist fame) used to do much of the work on his car (Froya, a front engined clubbie type thing but with VW gearbox at the back).

In the first video I reckon you can see the back of my head, at 2:58 surveying and photographing the crash remains (I have posted the photo taken then on this forum some time ago).

#3964 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 22:32

I can't be sure but from the information I have I'm a little suspicious that the no 12 Buchanan is one of the old Wally Mitchell Cars. It ran mainly as a GT but had 4 or 5 outings as a sports car when the white Wal Anderson car was being repaired. Wally was killed before this shot was taken howver the car did run again in the hands of it's new owners in that configuration. The wheels are right, as is the screen, the mirror, the rollbar position, two humps on the dash, the open style arches. I would love to see a higher res photo so we can put this to bed..........interesting.

Maybe not higher res...but bigger!!
Posted Image

#3965 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 22:54

Hi 2bob
No, not a SA Lance Hill. The Lance pictured was a Bowral boy, and to my knowledge still is, probably still at his Bowral? antique shop. Lance Hill's sister was Lorraine, married to Brian(Brique) Reed until her death some time ago, both of them Clubman racers with Lotus and Elfin.

#3966 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 23:19

Maybe not higher res...but bigger!!
Posted Image

See if you can make out the name...
Posted Image

#3967 seldo

seldo

• 1,621 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 23:38

Hi 2bob
No, not a SA Lance Hill. The Lance pictured was a Bowral boy, and to my knowledge still is, probably still at his Bowral? antique shop. Lance Hill's sister was Lorraine, married to Brian(Brique) Reed until her death some time ago, both of them Clubman racers with Lotus and Elfin.

That's correct John - but still of Hill's Hoists pedigree afaik.

#3968 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:21

Originally posted by lyntonh
See if you can make out the name...
Posted Image

The only bit I can make out is the 'CALTEX'...

#3969 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:38

Wouldnt it be easter to find the program?

#3970 bollyblog

bollyblog

• 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:04

Hi 2bob

You were thinking of Clive Hill.

#3971 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:06

Originally posted by john medley
Wouldnt it be easier to find the program?

For those that have one...

The white ants got mine in late '76.

#3972 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 435 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:57

Bathurst 1960 (Youtube)

Can anyone with a program tell me if the Porsche that appears a couple of times would be the late Gavin Youl from Tas.
Its the same number he ran in Tas (38) . It appears at 2.01 and 2.50.
He and David Lewis (from memory) drove the car from Tas , Gavin competed at Bathurst and then they drove
it home and I think it was probably around 1960.

Thanks
Ellis

#3973 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:08

He had No 38 at Bathurst in October 1960...

In '59 he ran the Austin Lancer.

#3974 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 435 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 20:29

Thanks.

#3975 2Bob

2Bob

• 398 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 21:34

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3976 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 435 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 22:31

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for displaying pic. His son may be interested in seeing that.

Edited by Ellis French, 10 September 2010 - 22:31.

#3977 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 865 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:41

I know it is supposed to be personal photos but I recommend taking a look at these two videos on Youtube from Bathurst in 1960. One is open wheelers and the other is sports and touring cars with a couple of bike shots at the end. It even shows Wally Mitchell's crash at Reid Park.

Great stuff!

In the first vid, there is a white Lotus 15 #87, does anyone know who is driving this car?

Also, can anyone tell me who is driving the #17 Lotus 18 Formula Junior car at 2.36 on the second video?

And finally, what is car #89 at 2.44?

Thanks!

Michael

#3978 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:51

# 87 Frank Matich Lotus 15 sold overseas about 5 years ago

# 17 Leo Geoghegan Lotus 18 Formula Junior I have lost track of this one

# 89 Guy Buckingham Nota Formula Junior Raced by me for the last 37 years

#3979 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:12

How many engine rebuilds over that period John?? I am off to Northern UK...whats my chances of bumping into Guy?? :wave:

Advertisement

#3980 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:03

A hideous thought (the engines, I mean)
Guy was living in a village called Haddenham(NOT in northern UK) last I heard. Give him my regards if you see him

#3981 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:38

"Hideous thought"?

You had a bucket of laughs every time you thrust your hands into those broken blocks or sorted through the bent rods, camshaft pieces and pock-marked pistons with bits of valve head stuck in them!

#3982 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 514 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:01

I spent three days with Guy and his UK family members just last month. Guy at age 89 is in very good and active condition. In recent times has had a hip reconstuction and two heart attacks but you wouldn´t know it now.

He just stop playing the trumpet in the band earlier this year. No trouble blowing but said that driving home late at night was getting to be a bit of a problem.

Still very acitve in RAF vet activities and is still flying a light plane with two others and doing their own maintenance. Had a cylinder apart while I was there.

I will share contact details if you need them. Email me at doveratarachdotnetdotau
Of course Christopher is also willing to pass on contact details

Regards

Joe Bosworth

#3983 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:19

Nice to see you back on the forum, Joe...

You've been missed.

#3984 gatkin

gatkin

• 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:56

Greg, welcome to the forum... I don't know that I ever met you at the circuits, but I certainly knew your father. Both in the pit areas along the east coast and under the concrete ceiling at the Shell servo at Wahroonga (where I once got a tongue lashing from D-d-david for the state of my road car!)... you lost your father way too early...

I will have that pic among my e.mails at home, I'll see if I can remember to re-post it for you. Like the other, it would have been sent to me by one of your dad's contemporaries, Geoff Smedley, who prepared 2.5 Climax cars for John Youl, Frank Matich and Allan Grice among other things.

Thanks Ray. For some reason i wasnt getting notifications when new messages posted. Been off the site for a while.
cheers

#3985 gatkin

gatkin

• 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:57

Keep it up, hammo...

This car is wearing a Scuderia Veloce sticker, is it not? So is that Bob Atkin sitting in the car? If so, it would be Friday or course.

I'm having trouble working out what car it is. Not David's, I think it's a Kiwi connection.

Thats not Bob. he had full head of hair back then.
cheers

Greg Atkin

#3986 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 865 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:16

# 87 Frank Matich Lotus 15 sold overseas about 5 years ago

# 17 Leo Geoghegan Lotus 18 Formula Junior I have lost track of this one

John

Many thanks for the IDs.

The Geoghegan Lotus 18 must have been one of the earliest in Oz, as it was only a 1960 design. Do you know what the date of this meeting was? It would be even better if anyone could ID the chassis number of this car...

Re Guy Buckingham, it is a small world, Haddenham is about half an hour away from me and I go there regularly as my aunt lives there...

Michael

#3987 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:24

The October Bathurst meeting was on the NSW Labor Day weekend...

That's the weekend that leads up to the first Monday in October each year, irrespective of whether or not the Sunday is in September or October. The other meeting was on the Sunday and Monday of the Easter weekend following two days of motorcycles.

The Geoghegans were the Lotus agents, so would have put their cars onto the track quickly in order to get sales and convince people that they were faster than other marques. You see Leo also in the Elite in those clips.

#3988 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:40

It would be even better if anyone could ID the chassis number of this car...

18/J/760, I believe

#3989 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,765 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:19

A hideous thought (the engines, I mean)
Guy was living in a village called Haddenham(NOT in northern UK) last I heard. Give him my regards if you see him

Thanks John and Jo...I leave in the morning....I will look if Haddenham is on my expected path!!! Cheers, Mick

#3990 cooper997

cooper997

• 745 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:46

The 1960 'Bathurst International' was on Saturday & Sunday, October 1st & 2nd.

#3991 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 865 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:39

Ray/David/Cooper997,

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

#3992 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 790 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:38

Oran Park 20th September 1970

unknown
Posted Image

now time to try a 50/50 call....Bruce Leer (Milano) & Ross Bond (Healey)
Posted Image

now the other half of the 50/50 call...Moss Angliss (Milano), Iain Corness (MGB) & ? (Honda)
Posted Image

? (Lotus Europa?), ? (Honda), Moss Angliss ( Milano), ? (Sprite?), ? (Sprite ), ? (Sprite)
Posted Image
(Sorry about the post in the way)

Edited by lyntonh, 18 February 2012 - 00:54.

#3993 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:26

Looking at the RCN report, it seems that the Honda is Graham Bland...

It's unclear which Milano is which, as the report says that Leer spun, but the photo caption says that No 36 is Leer. So which Milano was Angliss driving?

#3994 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 790 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:32

Looking at the RCN report, it seems that the Honda is Graham Bland...

It's unclear which Milano is which, as the report says that Leer spun, but the photo caption says that No 36 is Leer. So which Milano was Angliss driving?

My caption was a guess.
The point of my 50/50 was that I wasn't sure...presuming that Bruce Leer was in the earlier number because,
as I remember it, he was the number one driver.

Obviously a credible mag like RCN, with such quality in their reporting ranks, wouldn't have got it wrong!!

#3995 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:02

Originally posted by lyntonh
.....Obviously a credible mag like RCN, with such quality in their reporting ranks, wouldn't have got it wrong!

Don't bet...

That was a Peter Wherrett report, also one of (if not the...) first outings of the Milano GT2s.

#3996 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:04

Oran Park 20th September 1970

? (Lotus Europa?), ? (Honda), Moss Angliss ( Milano), ? (Sprite?), ? (Sprite ), ? (Sprite)
Posted Image
(Sorry about the post in the way)

The last two Sprites are MGBs - not that I recall many MGBs (other than the good doctor's) racing at OP, even though I was there.

#3997 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:49

You probably didn't notice them except at times like this...

They were being lapped. I can assure you of that. Alan Wood, by the way, raced a B at Oran Park in '72, Dave Mawer will attest to that.

#3998 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 134 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 23:57

The Lotus Europa in that pic reminds me...

Back about ten pages ago, lyntonh posted this:

A mix from Warwick Farm....6th September 1969 first...

Posted Image

Speaking of Parramatta Road car dealers (as we were): Heading into the Esses in his Lotus 47, it's Bob Beasley.

#3999 john medley

john medley

• 1,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 00:55

Car #2 red sports racing car at Oran Park is Andrew Roberts' Climax Special which came originally from, I think, Canada as the Jedda Climax ( driver's name Sykes?), ran in NSW briefly before being rebuilt as shown by Andrew Roberts, later re engined with 1500 pushrod Ford. A good little thing.

Advertisement

#4000 wagons46

wagons46

• 262 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:12

:

Speaking of Parramatta Road car dealers (as we were): Heading into the Esses in his Lotus 47, it's Bob Beasley.

..........or was that Church St Parramatta?? A bit more class at that end.