Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#4201 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,046 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 23:27

Ray you a right, PLAYING THEM.

Spike & his Father brought an old Poker Machine (the one arm bandit type) & learnt how to adjust & fiddle the machine, needless to say they ended up being banned from many clubs on the South Coast, but it did pay for the building & running of the race car, the SM SPECIAL.

Hard to believe but a true story. Daniel

Yeah,lots of people expert at "walking the reels" or just opening the door with a blank key in those days,very little publicity, the Clubs or Police, just kept a lid on it. My Uncle worked in the liquor industry and he always used to talk about how easy it was to manipulate a poker machine or just buy a key at the "early openers" pubs in Sydney.

Advertisement

#4202 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 00:01

Wrong thread, I think

This one is for photos taken from the '50s to the '70s

Also, I'm not sure how acceptable it is to poke fun at other TNF members (unless of course they're friends of yours)

:rolleyes: David, self-appointed forum police? Chill; Bruce. :cool:

#4203 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:14

Not exactly what I suspect most people here will regard as "Racing"..............

For you Holden fanatics.

Castlereagh drags 1969.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I presume these were all headed for the wreckers, or were already there, when they started life anew!!

#4204 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:35

They used to get "proper" cars at the Castlereagh drags too, though, didn't they?

Maybe only in the earlier years

#4205 cooper997

cooper997

• 763 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:39

Lynton,

I suspect that Mark Oastler from Australian Muscle Car magazine would be interested in these latest photos (and probably some of your others too).

Stephen

#4206 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:50

I would think this is a publicity or professional photo, maybe a giveaway pic for fans...

Posted Image

Satan Brewer, looking like it was taken well after the year of 1948, which the owner of the pic assured me it was taken. The car has an Edelbrock-equipped V8 in it.

#4207 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:21

Don't know about the car, but Brewer himself was born in 1906. He does look older than 42 there...

#4208 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:49

Not exactly what I suspect most people here will regard as "Racing"..............

For you Holden fanatics.

Castlereagh drags 1969.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I presume these were all headed for the wreckers, or were already there, when they started life anew!!

While never really being interested in drags all those cars are recognisable from reading old Hot Rod magazines, and these days Australian Muscle Car .Done on far smaller budgets but really more individual than todays cars.

#4209 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:10

Don't know about the car, but Brewer himself was born in 1906. He does look older than 42 there...

David,
Driving midgets did have an aging effect on the pilots. :blush:
Campaigning a V8 60 as it broiled its way around the tracks would have hastened the aging process :)

Wilyman. [Forever young].

#4210 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:10

I admit I did consider that point :lol:

#4211 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:11

David,
Driving midgets did have an aging effect on the pilots. :blush:
Campaigning a V8 60 as it broiled its way around the tracks would have hastened the aging process :)

Wilyman. [Forever young].

I believe that Frank Brewer died at a quite advanced age. Chap here in Adelaide who drove midgets for about 50 years, retired in his early 80s!! And is still going strong.

#4212 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 13:21

I believe that Frank Brewer died at a quite advanced age

#4213 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:15

I came within an ace of meeting him just months before he died, actually...

I was making a business call to Barrie Watt and he was busy talking to a couple of old ladies and an even older man in a minibus at the end of his driveway. I courteously waited back in the entry to the building and eventually Barrie came in as the minibus drove away.

"You should have come down," he immediately said to me, "do you know who that was?"

Naturally enough I said I didn't. "Satan Brewer, he was with his daughters and they brought him to visit me."

Hopefully I'll hear soon about the other pics the old man in Lismore might have.

#4214 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:58

Wrong thread, I think

This one is for photos taken from the '50s to the '70s

Also, I'm not sure how acceptable it is to poke fun at other TNF members (unless of course they're friends of yours)

For those who don't know the gent in the hat holding my helmet is my mentor, Charlie Smith. He was also there as a Tasman Legend having raced Fiat 1100/ Morris Major/ Lotus Eleven/Elfin Catalina/Lotus 23b/Brabham BT2/Cooper S/Falcon GT/Mini Moke/MGB ( have I missed any ? ) and currently at age 82 runs a Series 4 Lotus 7 in Regularity.

#4215 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:42

For those who don't know the gent in the hat holding my helmet is my mentor, Charlie Smith. He was also there as a Tasman Legend having raced Fiat 1100/ Morris Major/ Lotus Eleven/Elfin Catalina/Lotus 23b/Brabham BT2/Cooper S/Falcon GT/Mini Moke/MGB ( have I missed any ? ) and currently at age 82 runs a Series 4 Lotus 7 in Regularity.

+ Austin Freeway

#4216 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:52

Charlie told me he first raced at Bathurst on a motorbike in, I think, 1948

He also does a top version of Henry Newbolt's Vitae Lampada..." a bumping pitch and a blinding light....."

#4217 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:02

Originally posted by David Shaw
+ Austin Freeway

+ the Mini Cooper at Bathurst three times, 1963 with Ron Hodgson; 1964 winning his class with Bruce Maher; 1966 sitting back after Ron Haylen rolled it.

He was a solid BMC man, but who could resist the offer to share a Falcon GT HO when the opportunity came in 1969 to join Bill Ford?

#4218 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:03

It was the other way around Ray, Charlie owned the Falcon, an XW GT Auto,

#4219 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:45

Yes, I went back and checked again, he was the driver, Bill the co-driver...

Which then led to me checking out the Bathurst entries for the White Car for that other optimistic thread, by the way.

Advertisement

#4220 wagons46

wagons46

• 267 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:24

And Bathurst 1967 in a Cooper S with Bo Seton

#4221 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:32

So he co-drove with Seton twice?

Don't know how I missed the '67 entry. 6th outright and second in class in that first year of V8 successes, and then the following year tenth outright and first in class with Don Holland in yet another Cooper S entry.

#4222 gray chandler

gray chandler

• 83 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:31

I believe that Frank Brewer died at a quite advanced age. Chap here in Adelaide who drove midgets for about 50 years, retired in his early 80s!! And is still going strong.

DUD LAMBERT,i believe. cheers,gray chandler.

#4223 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:45

Barrie Watt himself has had (and is still having!) quite a long career...

He has a photo of himself in his car and all his crew taken in 1956. And in 2006 he had another photo taken of the same guys standing around the same car in the same positions as he again sat in it. I think it was 2008 he won a feature, but he may have done so again since, I rarely see him these days.

#4224 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 14:17

below is the link for some watermarked scans of all that remain of my father's negs;
(firstly, sorry this took so long - and - to save going back to page 76 - from the earlier discussion here -)
some large format (120(?) - no notes) and a few 35mm - single frames which don't quite correspond to the notes they were once mounted with ...
Albert Park: Cooper Bristol # 11, 250F # 2 (?) and a Ferrari 555 (?) # 4, ( names? ) and Ernie Tadgell's (?) special # 15 etc., etc.(had a programme but maybe not the right one/s)
Fishermans Bend; a wide of paddock XK-120#40 in foreground, single shots / details Talbot-Lago #3, MM-Holden #50, MG K3 rego no GJP 820 # 67, and a new looking MGA rego no GLO 000,unnumbered but parked up in #56's spot, Cooper-Jaguar rego no GLP 333 numbered 4 in the second shot, a TC Special LSD 662 #60, a HWM open wheeler, a much admired A-H 100 GKE 008 #43, Triumph Special #52, Coopers #21 and 8, and in the parking a Bugatti apparently straight but for right-rear cycle-guard missing (2 Standard utes and a lairy Vauxhall in b/g),. Circulating but too-wide shots; A-H #27, the Cooper-Jag, an XK and a Sunbeam #89.

"I'd say the Albert Park photos your trying to identify are from either of the March 1957 meetings. Day 1 March 17th or Day 2 - March 24th.
#11 Cooper Bristol Len Lukey
#2 Maserati 250F Stan Jones
#4 Ferrari Lex Davison
#15 Porsche Special Ern Tadgell (entered by Norman Hamilton)
If the Peugeot is #11 it will be Bob Holden, if #12 probably W H (Bill?) Wilcox.
If the #2 250F is an early model 250F, then it will probably be Reg Hunt from the March 1956 events. Day 1 - March 11th or Day 2 March 18th.
Now this is a test... but seems like that most of the Fishermen's Bend photos you have are from the February 11th/12th, 1956 meeting. Some of the cars I can id are as follows.
#4 Cooper-Jaguar will be the ex Peter Whitehead car, at this meeting Stan Jones owned and ran this car.
#? HWM open wheeler - Lex Davison.
#3 Lago-Talbot - Doug Whiteford.
#50 MM Holden (the open-wheeler version) - Jim Leech.
#89 Sunbeam - C Martyr
Sounds like the #2 Maserati 250F at Albert Park is Stan Jones March 1957 mount.
Stephen"
"#43 is an Austin Healey 100S chassis AHS3907, owned by Austin Distributors and probably driven by the MD Jeff Brotherton."
"Steven (fnqvmuch),
A bit more digging reveals that the MG K3 you mention registered GJP 820, is possibly an ex Tazio Nuvolari MG factory team car. By the early 1950's it was owned by John Sawyer, who would make his name preparing racing cars for Bob Jane. By the Feb 11/12, 1956 Fishermen's Bend meeting it was owned by Graham Nankervis (who had purchased it just over 2 weeks prior). So it was probably him competing in it at 'the Bend'.
Stephen"
"Don't think there's much likelihood Nuvolari had anything to do with that particular MG K3. It was apparently the 1933 Mille Miglia recce car.
And without wishing to be too much of a nit-picker, I would have thought John Sawyer was fairly well-known before he joined Jane. Didn't he work for Stan Jones or the Maybach or both?"
"Well-known? Yes... but had he 'made his name' before joining Jane? A moot point...
John Sawyer worked under Otto Stone when he was with Stan Jones...
I have an idea that John worked with Allan Ashton too, though that might be a fanciful thought. Nevertheless, he was the second-string man, not the head spanner.
When Jane had the 300S he employed Sawyer full time to tend it, having had so much Maserati experience with Jones, and probably do some work at the car yard too. The Jaguar soon followed and John was very much a part of its development after Harry Firth started getting things under way."
"The John Sawyer scenario brilliantly summed up Ray.
All I was trying to do was help fnqvmuch date & id some of his photos. Ones that we haven't even seen yet (but hopefully will).
The source I used for the K3 identification (quoted as chassis number K.3752) actually mentions the Nuvolari connection. Being his winning mount for the 1933 RAC TT race. Maybe it isn't, but where are all the Nuvolari/MG K3 enthusiasts (with intimate chassis numbers knowledge) to give us the facts."

[quote name='cooper997' date='Apr 23 2009, 17:12' post='3600974']

http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink

Edited by fnqvmuch, 05 December 2010 - 14:23.

#4225 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:04

Some colour at Warwick Farm practice 2nd May 1970

?
Posted Image

?
Posted Image

Bernie Haehnle
Posted Image

Gary Campbell
Posted Image

Ross Bond
Posted Image

Peter Manton & Norm Beechey
Posted Image

?
Posted Image

Pete Geoghegan waiting to get around ?
Posted Image

Brian Foley
Posted Image

Again & ?
Posted Image

Bob Holden
Posted Image

Brian Foley & Jim McKeown
Posted Image
The spot on the back of J Mc's car, & two others above the cars, is the result of a processing problem I had when developing Camcolour
slides at home.
For those who might be interested, I suffered from using my oldies' laundry as a darkroom.
The water pipes in the house were galv & pretty well corroded. My wash water was full of little specks
of rust, which stuck to the emulsion on the film when it was washed after the first developer.
The low water pressure meant that the rust gently flowed into the tank, & wouldn't wash out.
At that stage the surface of the film was very soft, being a multiple layer emulsion,
& there was nothing else I tried which would wash the rust away, without destroying the surface.
When the bleach in the later process hit the rust, it turned it into these rather annoying & permanent little spots.
They used to look really bad when projected up on a screen!!
Black & white emulsion was much thinner & didn't seem to pick up the particles of rust.
In the end, the old man decided the water pressure was too low for other uses, & had the pipes replaced in copper.
That stopped my "spot" problem, but I had to make sure I didn't blow the emulsion away with the extra pressure,
which had the water jetting into the tank like a fire hose.

Alan Moffat
Posted Image

Again
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 11:01.

#4226 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 22:50

Superb !! :clap:

#4227 wagons46

wagons46

• 267 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 23:02

Pete Geoghegan waiting to get around ?
[img]http://img530.images...94/85711763.jpg[/im
[/quote]

Lister Davis.........perhaps!

#4228 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 00:05

Lynton, you win again!

Other than saying that the Vee with No 2 on it is one of the Revells, I wouldn't be able to guess the others.

As for Camcolor, I also used to do that! I shot a multitude of rolls of it and self-processed it, but I never mounted the slides, simply rolled them back into the canister. I won't go into what finally happened to them, but suffice to say I don't have them any more... and that's a tragedy, I had a lot of good stuff.

#4229 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:58

great pics and in fact we were just going through the Fishermans bend programme the other night. I was chasing details of Clyde Martyr whose name was in fact Horace L.G. Martyr later a policeman at Altona and said to have been a member of the police driving display team. By the late 1960's he was the owner of an XK120. If anyone knows more about him I would love to know or if anyone can shed light on what model the sunbeam is.

Jaguar pictures
Pic 25 is clive oliver in the Supercharged XK120 chassis no 660851
pic 53 is clive oliver in the Supercharged XK120 chassis no 660851
pic 72 is Bill wager in XK120 chassis 660049 with clive oliver in the supercharged XK120 chassis no 660851 behind

The full histories of these cars are in our new book detail as follows
Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

terry

PS I have owned the supercharged XK120 660851 since 1985 and until probably the early 1970's it would have been the fastest XKin Australia with a Rob Roy Hillclimb time of 28.88secs

below is the link for some watermarked scans of all that remain of my father's negs;
(firstly, sorry this took so long - and - to save going back to page 76 - from the earlier discussion here -)
some large format (120(?) - no notes) and a few 35mm - single frames which don't quite correspond to the notes they were once mounted with ...
Albert Park: Cooper Bristol # 11, 250F # 2 (?) and a Ferrari 555 (?) # 4, ( names? ) and Ernie Tadgell's (?) special # 15 etc., etc.(had a programme but maybe not the right one/s)
Fishermans Bend; a wide of paddock XK-120#40 in foreground, single shots / details Talbot-Lago #3, MM-Holden #50, MG K3 rego no GJP 820 # 67, and a new looking MGA rego no GLO 000,unnumbered but parked up in #56's spot, Cooper-Jaguar rego no GLP 333 numbered 4 in the second shot, a TC Special LSD 662 #60, a HWM open wheeler, a much admired A-H 100 GKE 008 #43, Triumph Special #52, Coopers #21 and 8, and in the parking a Bugatti apparently straight but for right-rear cycle-guard missing (2 Standard utes and a lairy Vauxhall in b/g),. Circulating but too-wide shots; A-H #27, the Cooper-Jag, an XK and a Sunbeam #89.

[/quote]

#4230 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 563 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:13

Huntley Hill Climb 1960/61 David McKay was driving this Fiat 600, it only appeared once at this location & I believe that it was Supercharged with a Judson Supercharger.

Can any anybody provide further information on this car & why would David compete in hillclimbs, or was it just the love of driving Italian cars.

I am not sure but I believe that it also ran at Silverdale Hill Climb in the same era.

Posted Image

#4231 cooper997

cooper997

• 763 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:41

Huntley Hill Climb 1960/61 David McKay was driving this Fiat 600, it only appeared once at this location & I believe that it was Supercharged with a Judson Supercharger.

Can any anybody provide further information on this car & why would David compete in hillclimbs, or was it just the love of driving Italian cars.

I am not sure but I believe that it also ran at Silverdale Hill Climb in the same era.

DanTra2858,

1960 Bathurst International meeting - Oct 1st & 2nd, has the following entry.

#71 Fiat of Aust Pty Ltd David McKay Fiat 600 744cc

In the Warwick Farm opening meeting - Dec 18, 1960 he has an Fiat 1800. Same race number, same entrant.

Stephen

#4232 terryo

terryo

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:27

does anyone have any pics of the Calder 6 hour relay races in the 1970's??.
I have a triumph GT6 and chasing pics/history. It was a well-known car in Australia in the 1970's
I know it was sold near new by Pete Geoghan to Dave Worrell in Sydney. He raced it till late '73 or so, when it passed to Bill Hamilton then Ed White, both TSOA NSW members I beleive. Sometime in the early 80's it was sold to persons unknown in Brisbane
any help/leads appreciated. thanks

#4233 baz

baz

• 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:13

Looking for pictures of Trevor (Spike) Jones running his SM Special VW at Oran Park or any other event in the mid to late 1960's, the SM stands for Slot Machines (Pokies) as this is how he funded the building & running of the car. Many thanks, Daniel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi Dan, new at this so I hope it works. I,m sure you will be pleased to know Spike is alive and well(if you can,t peel it don,t eat it is his motto) here on the sunshine coast. I told him of your request and he,s gone to see what photos he has. I own the last car he made which is currently under restoration and I hope to have it up and running soon. the poker machine story is true but he maintains they never did anything illegal.

#4234 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 22:11

Brian Foley showing off a fancy Alfa at Oran Park via the Clerk of the Course....8th August 1971

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 10:49.

#4235 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:00

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Website is down till probably mid January so thought I'd post a few of Graeme King's pics from the library.
Beechey Mustang and EH wagon in Kings Meadows motel courtyard 1966, Launceston.
Beechey, Jane, Manton at Warwick Farm 1965
Charles Ivey, HD Holden X2 Penguin Hillclimb, NW coast Tas 1965
Pile up at Mountford cnr Longford 1965. Alan Robertson's Peugeot 203 on outside.
Cheers, ellrosso

#4236 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:11

Spencer Martin Ferrari 250LM Long Bridge 1965
Beechey Mustang Symmons 1966
Beechey Pacer Mallala 1970
Kerry Cox Paramount Ford (Mk 1) 1965 Newry cnr Longford
Al pics oldracephotos.com Copyright

#4237 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:54

That's a good one from Homestead Corner at the Farm...

International meeting, surely?

#4238 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:32

That's a good one from Homestead Corner at the Farm...

International meeting, surely?

That was just past you flag point a RAY....Is that Fatty Mustang just before the turn onto the straight.

That a EH panel van .

Edited by eldougo, 30 December 2010 - 05:36.

#4239 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:27

Yes , it is the international meeting Ray, one of the other shots from the same meeting has G Hill, Clark etc. And yes, EH Panel van - slip of the mind!

Advertisement

#4240 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:39

1st shot : Baskerville late 50's : Don Elliot Repco Holden special leading Don Gorringe, Wylie Javelin and Bevan Wylie Ford 10 special
2nd shot : Bask late 50's : unknown FC (NSW car) leading David Lewis FJ (Repco head etc)
3rd shot : Symmons 1969 : Bruce Gowans Lotus 23, Mike Bruce, Elfin 300, Bob Jane Elfin 400
4th shot : Long Bridge Longford 1966, Kerry Cox spinning the Paramount Ford (Mk2) and not hitting anything! He did the same thing in the
Paramount Jag in 1968 but copped a splinter in one of the tyres - no other damage though.

#4241 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:31

Oran Park 8th August 1971
There were 30,000 odd there that day...a big crowd for Oran Park.
They're lined up way back on the fence of the car park.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Who's a happy boy then?....won the race & the Championship.

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 10:45.

#4242 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:01

Posted Image
2nd shot : Bask late 50's : unknown FC (NSW car) leading David Lewis FJ (Repco head etc)

That would be the very well travelled Lou Kingsley's Repco headed FE.

#4243 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 13:12

Originally posted by eldougo
That was just past you flag point a RAY....Is that Fatty Mustang just before the turn onto the straight.....

Not flagging yet, there, Doug...

My first meeting with flags was still seven months away. I was probably at Creek Corner, or maybe even right in the thick of the crowd in the foreground here.

And Fatty's Mustang was still on the water at this stage, still painted black and still not modified.

And is that a Hillman in that shot at Baskerville?

#4244 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,713 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 14:22

Much repeated car advertisemen showing two cars: "they are both identical . . . "

"Both" is a touch surplus or should I say redundant?

#4245 GD66

GD66

• 2,171 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 21:17

And is that a Hillman in that shot at Baskerville?

Or even a Borgward ?

#4246 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 00:27

Yes it is a Hillman Minx (1956? model). Hard to believe but it was quite a competitive car in its day. I've e-mailed Fred Cherry in Perth (raced in Tas in early 60's) to try and get some info about it (he had a clipping from The Mercury of it in his album) so I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, ellrosso

#4247 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 00:47

Yes it is a Hillman Minx (1956? model). Hard to believe but it was quite a competitive car in its day. I've e-mailed Fred Cherry in Perth (raced in Tas in early 60's) to try and get some info about it (he had a clipping from The Mercury of it in his album) so I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, ellrosso

Might that be a Minx Californian, the 2 door coupe job?
Roger Lund

#4248 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:50

Oran Park 8th August 1971
There were 30,000 odd there that day...a big crowd for Oran Park.
They're lined up way back on the fence of the car park.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not the same meeting
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 31 December 2010 - 05:38.

#4249 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:13

[quote name='ellrosso' date='Dec 30 2010, 19:39' post='4772338']
Posted Image

3rd shot : Symmons 1969 : Bruce Gowans Lotus 23, Mike Bruce, Elfin 300, Bob Jane Elfin 400

Why the "Alan Ling" name on the 23b. :confused:

#4250 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:29

The two of them shared the car, IIRC, Doug...

That 300 does look nice, doesn't it?

And the Ling/Gowans car is the ex-Cusack car, which makes it... again, IIRC... the first 23 to have landed in the country, run at the Farm by Pete Geoghegan in 1962.