Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#4251 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,584 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:46

Yes it does - did Mike then get into the 350 after letting the 300 go?

Advertisement

#4252 DJH

DJH

• 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:01

Posted Image

Leger Corner at the Farm, note the missing roll cage and steel road wheels, very early days for the Mustang. This image sums up why Norm Beechy has such legendary status, great entertainer......John.

Edited by DJH, 31 December 2010 - 06:09.

#4253 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 824 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:06

Hang on, Peter, I'll lean over & tap you on the shoulder!!

#4254 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:34

In a nostalgic frame of mind I have just spent 3 hours reviewing this stunning thread started by Kevin Drage, brilliantly continued by a whole lot of Those Who Were There( or wished we could have been) to an amazing 107 pages on this forum which can so often be so remarkable.

As we roll into another year, I for one would like to thank every person who has contributed to this thread in any way. We in Australia have always had a small population, a small but vigorous motor sporting community, immense distances that separate us, seriously committed enthusiasts, a passion for this sport ( which the always interesting George Reed always called " carsport"), and a competitive even combative approach to any part of it. We have produced a champion or two. We have a tendency to admire our fellows across the Tasman Sea ( and others) even though we never know all that we need to about what they do and have done.

I am honoured to know lots of those who have contributed to this thread (and others), from all over Australia and New Zealand and elsewhere. Many I have met personally, over many years. This thread is a genuine pleasure: it took me back, to a wonderful past that we communally share. (My friend Brian Coe has photos on the cover of " Fast Tracks" -- only then did we know that we had stood shoulder to shoulder 50 years before taking the same photographs and experiencing the same experiences. Brian continues to give my 7 year old wonderful presents because we have some understanding of human beings)

Ladies and gentlemen may I sincerely thank you for a wonderful thread and a wonderful experience, Most of all may I thank Kevin Drage for starting all this. Brilliant initiative, brilliant idea, brilliant colour photos, brilliant contribution, immensely sensible summaries of this and that. If Kevin Drage is able to get to Easter Mallala to say hullo to John Medley I would be prepared to drive the 17 hours to get there. I am also prepared to say hullo to 2Bob, Annie and hers, old hand Dick Willis, the Terrys, Giffo,all the West Australians, Lynton.............and Lots More!!

Most of all, thanks Kaydee

Happy New Year, everyone

Edited by john medley, 31 December 2010 - 08:48.

#4255 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:12

John, this thread is so typical of the various and many photo threads from "over there", wherever that happens to be , for those of us "over here", again wherever that might be. The generosity of the people who put up the period photographs of cars, drivers, circuits etc, with various details and explanations from them and others is quite outstanding. The shots invariably open up a wondeful window on a totally new world of racing, especially with the local specials or modified cars.

My thanks to all contributors, and my New Year's good wishes.
Roger Lund

#4256 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:59

I would like to echo Roger and his most eloquent post in thanking all who have contributed so far to this fascinating thread.

To you all a happy new year and here is to another year of seeing motor sport down under as it used to be.

Glyn

PS - Ray Bell, Roger is still telling us about his trip to Australia and meeting up with you and other motor sport minded friends, so you must have made a good impression!!!!! I am sure he will tell us yet more when we next meet up in January. :rotfl:

#4257 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 13:02

Originally posted by DJH
Posted Image

Leger Corner at the Farm, note the missing roll cage and steel road wheels, very early days for the Mustang. This image sums up why Norm Beechey has such legendary status, great entertainer......John.

John, I'm having great difficulty focussing this in as being at Leger. Do you have other shots from the same position?

#4258 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 21:43

Roger - pretty sure the Minx was a 4 dr. James - Mike Bruce did go straight to the 350 after the 300. Then sold the 350 to Jim Miller of Hobart.
All the best for 2011 to everyone on TNF. Cheers, ellrosso

#4259 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 22:33

If it is a Californian, it may be Shann Turnbull who drove one at Longford in '57.

Advertisement

#4260 GD66

GD66

• 2,180 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 22:48

John, I'm having great difficulty focussing this in as being at Leger. Do you have other shots from the same position?

Looks like the last corner at Winton, actually.

#4261 DJH

DJH

• 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 23:19

Posted Image

I've never beeen to Winton, the Mustang shot is exiting Leger and straightening up for Pit Straight. Southern end of pit area on the left. The car in the background has left The Causeway and is heading towards Polo.........John.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by DJH, 31 December 2010 - 23:37.

#4262 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 23:26

Posted Image

Leger Corner at the Farm, note the missing roll cage and steel road wheels, very early days for the Mustang. This image sums up why Norm Beechy has such legendary status, great entertainer......John.

DJH,

Your photo would be from the Feb 14th, 1965 Tasman International meeting. The Neptune team were all there and this would have been the first appearance of a Mustang at The Farm. Beechey having made the Mustang's world racing debut at Calder's Jan 24th, 1965 meeting.

Those cars and trailers in the background would be the start of the WF paddock, so your photo must be as Beechey's almost out of Leger and coming on to pit straight.

John Medley,

Very well put. Indeed this is a fantastic thread for those who were there and can share photos and memories with those of us who wish we were old enough to have been there!

Happy new year to all.

Stephen

#4263 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 00:13

I will second John thoughts and great work from Kaydee to get the wheels turning on this thread.

Happy New Year....Doug

#4264 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:27

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Shot 1 : Arnold Glass Ferrari Super Squalo Longford 1958
Shot 2 : (excuse sped blur) either Norm Hamilton or Bruce Walton Porsche Spyder Longford '58
Shot 3 : Ted Gray Tornado Longford '58
Shot 4 : Symmons 1973 : Ken Loughran No 28 and Richard Purtell XU-1's on the front row. Stephen Birtwhistle no 63 behind

Also from previous post re Alan Ling/Gowans Lotus 23 - they did share the car till early 1968 when Alan retired and Bruce drove it from then on
till they bought the Glyn Scott FVA '23.

#4265 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:10

Ellrosso,

Brilliant photos you've been posting.

In the latest group isn't the first photo Stan Jones Maserati 250F though?

Happy new year to all.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 01 January 2011 - 02:12.

#4266 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:16

Shot 1 : Geoff McHugh ex Tom Hawkes Allard, Trevallyn Hillclimb late 50's
Shot 2 : Jeff Ransley Morris Cooper, Paul Macmichael Fiat 1100 with Jim Barrett Cooper behind (FPV's Rod Barrett's dad)
Shot 3 : 69 Symmons grid, Gold Star support race : Tony Watts Cooper S (still in the family to this day), Garth Wigston Lotus Cortina, Bob Jane Mustang (2nd one) and Tony Calvert ex Bessant Lotus Cortina.
Shot 4 : Rocky Tresise's Brabham Longford grid 1965

#4267 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:20

Found this article in SCW 1965 on the STANG.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image

Edited by eldougo, 01 January 2011 - 02:26.

#4268 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:20

Stephen : yes when I looked at the driver I thought the same thing! I checked Barry Green's book though and it has a shot of Glass in the pits.
Regards, ellrosso

#4269 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:25

Rocky is in the T62 Cooper.

Yes, that is Stan Jones in the 250F, carrying number 12.

#4270 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:28

[quote name='ellrosso' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:16' post='4773732']
Posted Image.......Cooper No12

#4271 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:32

Thanks for the corrections.

#4272 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:33

Ellrosso,

Just dug out AMS Apr 58 that has the report for that year's Longford - March 1 & 3, 1958. On page 181 there's a photo of Stan in the #12 250F ('proper' number on LH side of nose, not visible in your photo). Same dent under the nose too. Glass' Super Squalo had quite a different look to a 250F (well at least evident when you see photos of both - driver sits higher in the Ferrari too). Stan still has his white roundel on the RH side of the nose, both were in use (with #6) at Fisherman's Bend Gold Star round the weekend before Longford - Feb 22 & 23, 1958

Love the photo of the Ransley 997 Cooper, this will be 1965 Longford meeting. Probably the 'Sports and Touring Car Handicap' for Tasmanian residents.

That is also a great photo of the ex McLaren 1962 AGP winning T62 Cooper-Climax being pushed to the grid for an extremely unfortunate event that was to happen with Rocky and Robin D'Abera. The wreckage of this car remained with my late uncle for many years.

Happy new year to all.

Stephen

#4273 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:38

Vin Smith (who is still with us) was one of the best-known names in racing in WA for 20 years, and the builder/rebuilder/yet-again rebuilder of an MG J2 which finished up as a rear-engined single seater . . . He was at the inaugural Port Wakefield meeting (see that thread for his pics from there). These are a few shots from his photo album.

Colin Murray's Maserati, 1951 Australian Grand Prix

Posted Image

Eldred Norman's double V8, same event:

Posted Image

Vin's first special, the Wolseley Hornet Spl, probably at a Goomalling meeting.

Posted Image

The Wolseley Hornet minus the body

Posted Image

#4274 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:49

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Firstly thanks to everyone re captions - a lot of this stuff is a bit before my time so any help is much appreciated.
Anyway here goes with this lot......
Shot 1 : Frank Matich Lotus 19 Kings Bridge 1963
Shot 2 : Kings Bridge again 1963 Brabham?
Shot 3 : GT race,1962 Jim McKeown Jowett Holden, Whiteford Aston Martin, Spanos Elfin Aero, Malcolm Skoden
Shot 4 : Gawainne Baillie Galaxie and Bob Jane Lotus Cortina coming up to Pub Cnr 1965
Shot 5 : Phil Hill Cooper Climax 1965 Longford

#4275 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:55

Next came the MG J2 which swiftly became a monoposto.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Slightly later - Vin in his spepcial, now with a passable MG grille.

Posted Image

Then chunkier wheels, possibly off his street MG TF:

Posted Image

#4276 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:59

This colour shot by David Van Dal shows it at Northam in its skinny-wheel phase, circa 1954.

Posted Image

#4277 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:20

Then came a radical revision - new body, de Dion rear end (home amde), with Willys diff centre, and VW front suspension. Now known as the Alpha, signifying no doubt a new start.

Posted Image

The final version was this amazing rear-engined anteater-look single seater, with the driver now sitting in the former engine bay, and the engine where the cockpit used to be. Oddly, Vin's photo album doesn't have any pics of this device - onbiously he wasn't terrilby proud of it. This pic was taken by Milton McCutcheon at the Mt Clarence hill climb, Albany 1963:

Posted Image

Vin then started from scratch, building a new rear-engined car, initially with a VW flat four driving through a Tempo Wagen tranmssion. Fans of Tempo Matadors will remember they used VW engine driving the front wheels, which meant they had to make their own gearbox casing for the VW internals, to get rid of the swing axles. The car rapidly acquired a supercharged Peugeot engine. This trailer shot shows the Tempo gearbox and fully independent rear end - most local Peugeot Specials still had swing axles.

Posted Image

When I told an old hand that the car originally had a VW engine, he said no, never . . . until I showed him this pic by Milton McCutcheon. You can clearly see a VW rocker cover. It's a radically low car, by the way - 1964 photo.

Posted Image

#4278 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:40

Vin also competed in numerous road events, in this amazing 1929 Hispano Suiza - the faithful Banana Squeezer.

Posted Image

He and E L (Bunny) Court also shared the ex-Nelson Ballot V8

Posted Image

They fitted the car with disc brakes in the mid 50s, a pioneering move in Western Australia - and on the old Ballot front axle, too! Here some intrigued officials and driver Sid Taylor (TS Spl, right) inspect the discs.

Posted Image

#4279 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:42

Terrific stuff on Vin Smith Terry!
Shot 1 : hopefully this is Arnold Glass in the Super Squalo Longford 1958
Shot 2 : Jack Brabham Longford pits 1960
Shot 3 : Max Stephens Cooper T40 Trevallyn Hillclimb circa 1960 (maybe late '59)
Shot 4 : Frank Matich D Type Jag Longford 1960

Advertisement

#4280 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:53

[quote name='ellrosso' date='Jan 1 2011, 13:49' post='4773756']
Posted Image

Shot 5 : That helmet Phil Hill is a cross between a full face an a open face very ahead of it,s time in 1965. Love to see close up for the old thread on helmets

#4281 ken devine

ken devine

• 749 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:08

Terry Vin died several years ago,The photos came from his personal album loaned to me by his nephew Robert Leman,Iwill soon
have a photo display of some of these photos at the WA Motor Museum.The person being shown the disc brakes on the Ballot was
the Governor Sir Charles Gairdener who was a motoring enthusiest and patron of the WA Sporting car club.

#4282 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:14

Thanks, Ken, I hadn't remembered Vin was no longer with us. I ought to have recognised Sir Charles Gairdner, but didn't.

#4283 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:19

Posted ImagePosted Image
I don't have full hi-res files of these images yet eldougo, but hopefully these will tell the story enough.

#4284 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:36

Ellrosso,

They're coming thick and fast... and what a treat.

Your last group of shots on page 107 are fantastic - post 4279. I think it's safe to say that's Arnold in the #2 Ferrari - he carried the same number at Fishermen's Bend the week before. The red Cooper T40 must mean it's Brabham's 1955 AGP Port Wakefield winning (rear engine) Cooper-Bristol.

Also a treat to see Phil Hill in the Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd Cooper-Climax T79.

Just one minor change from the group with the photo showing McKeown, Whiteford, Spanos, etc. Jim McKeown's car is the Jewitt Holden, not Jowett.

The series of Vin Smith photos posted up by Terry are also great. Interesting to see how far a car can be modified from one form to another.

Happy new year to all.

Stephen

#4285 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 608 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:19

Posted ImagePosted Image
I don't have full hi-res files of these images yet eldougo, but hopefully these will tell the story enough.

Slicks? In 1965?

Bruce Moxon

#4286 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 416 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:47

What an awesome visor on that helmet........

#4287 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:18

Those bubble visors were briefly popular - I had one but never needed to use it (sports sedan - had a windscreen). They were in effect mobile windscreens, and allowed ordinary specs to be worn easily without risk of breaking them, among other things. But then along came the full-face, and goodbye the bubble visor. The full-face had much more accident protection, the bubble visor vastly better vision.

What's fascinating about this thread is the vast quantity, often very high quality, and historic value, of the many thousands of basically amateur photos. Even humble box brownie prints turn out to be irresistible.

I managed to dig back to page 85 before I was satsified that the Vin Smith pics hadn't been posted before - took ages, stopping just tp gaze in pleasure at the pictures.

May it continue to grow throughout 2011.

#4288 ken devine

ken devine

• 749 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:51

The bubble visors were used a lot in Gokart raceing in the 60s.I had one attached to an AGV helmet which at the time cost 2 weeks
pay.

#4289 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:20

Originally posted by brucemoxon
Slicks? In 1965?

You need a real close-up to see they're not...

Very small sipes in the tyres, continuing the trend from Indianapolis (they are Firestones), Matich also had these on his sporty cars.

And I agree, there are some really great pics coming through right now. Not that there's ever been a shortage of them on this thread.

#4290 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:23

Eldouglas...

Phil Hill often ran that visor in the last couple of years of his openwheeler career. Check some Motor Sport GP report pics, you'll see it.

And isn't the ambience of this photo great?

Posted Image

Edited by Ray Bell, 01 January 2011 - 10:29.

#4291 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:26

Originally posted by ellrosso
Posted ImagePosted Image

Firstly thanks to everyone re captions - a lot of this stuff is a bit before my time so any help is much appreciated.
Anyway here goes with this lot......
Shot 1 : Frank Matich Lotus 19 Kings Bridge 1963
Shot 2 : Kings Bridge again 1963 Brabham?

By the way, it's 'Longford Corner', it was never called 'pub corner'...

The second pic is Brabham leading McLaren... the first one, I hope it comes up here as I haven't seen it yet!

#4292 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:02

Yeah I know its Longford corner Ray, but it doesn't quite have the same ambience as "pub" corner though - not to my mind anyway.....
I'll try and get some more pics on tomorrow - all these recent ones are from Pat Smith's collection. She worked in a wedding studio in Launceston
as a retoucher (she is Bob Wright's sister-in-law, Bob built the Tasma series of sports cars and was a Tas Motor Sports Hall of Famer) and has some terrific stuff - all on Kodachrome by the looks of it too.

#4293 mercnut

mercnut

• 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:35

I will second John thoughts and great work from Kaydee to get the wheels turning on this thread.

Happy New Year....Doug

dear oh dear,a regular poster on this thread who doesn't know the difference between a 250f & a squalo ferrari,go & sit in the corner & repeat a hundred times "i should have recognised the most beautiful front engined racecar straight away "!

#4294 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:46

Thanks for starting 2011 in such a great way, chaps :up:

A great selection of some great cars :up:

#4295 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:48

Well, we can't beat UK at cricket these days, but we can beat you to new year!

Cheers, and happy 2011.

Terry

#4296 DJH

DJH

• 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 23:49

Lithgow 40 Bends hillclimb, think it was 1964. I recall there were a couple of S4's running, which, at the time were regarded as rocket ships. I know Brian Fleming ran his white one that day.
Lovely old VX-4/90 in the background of one shot, bit of a Q ship, they'd do the ton with a little down hill assistance..........John.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DJH, 02 January 2011 - 00:04.

#4297 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:04

Mercnut .....your comments should be directed to ellrosso.

Happy New Year Eldougo.

#4298 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:10

Mercnut .....your comments should be directed to ellrosso.

Happy New Year Eldougo.

Actually they weren't necessary at all.

Stephen

#4299 mercnut

mercnut

• 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:14

Actually they weren't necessary at all.

Stephen

sorry,tongue in cheek fellas.

Advertisement

#4300 cooper997

cooper997

• 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:02

Yesterday ellrosso posted a photo with the Alan Ling Lotus 23 in it (page 107).

Earlier I was checking something in the August 1973 Racing Car News and had a flick to the classifieds, amongst an interesting selection of racing cars for sale - Lotus 23, ex Alan Ling/Leo Geoghegan... Price $2850 Allan Watts - Tas.

I reckon it might be a bit late after 37 years to ring and bag a bargain (well in today's coin).

Stephen