Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#4301 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 497 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:05

Shot 3 : GT race,1962 Jim McKeown Jowett Holden, Whiteford Aston Martin, Spanos Elfin Aero, Malcolm Skoden

What is the story about the Jowett Holden. Is this a Jupiter with a Holden engine? Does it still exist?

Advertisement

#4302 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:59

The Jewitt Holden was a ladder chassis Holden special built by Jim Jewitt in Victoria Australia, carried several different bodies, and still historic races in the hands of Paul Armstrong from Sydney. Its catholic grab bag of components includes Connaught brake drums bought at the Connaught closing fire sale. The lovely George Spanos Elfin Aero coupe in that photo still historic races too, still with its original owner

#4303 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 497 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 16:03

The Jewitt Holden was a ladder chassis Holden special built by Jim Jewitt in Victoria Australia, carried several different bodies, and still historic races in the hands of Paul Armstrong from Sydney. Its catholic grab bag of components includes Connaught brake drums bought at the Connaught closing fire sale. The lovely George Spanos Elfin Aero coupe in that photo still historic races too, still with its original owner

Thanks; then the "Jowett" was a typo for "Jewitt".

#4304 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 22:04

Yes, Robin, you missed that it was corrected...

That was in post 4284 by Stephen.

#4305 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 23:44

Posted ImagePosted Image
I don't have full hi-res files of these images yet eldougo, but hopefully these will tell the story enough.

That car appears to be on slicks, I would have thought the period was a little too early?

#4306 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 00:10

Sports cars Oran Park 8th August 1971

Bob Martin...Hustler
Posted Image

?...been brake tested?
Posted Image

Paul Hamilton...Turner
Posted Image

Richard Carter...up on the kerbs
Posted Image

Ross Bond?...Healey
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 10:17.

#4307 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:16

The Lotus 7 is Ray Kaleda... not long before he got his Welsor...

And yes, the Healey is Ross Bond.

Lee... check post 4289.

#4308 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:42

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageF
Few more Longford shots '61-'65

#4309 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:14

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
All shots from 1965 Longford

#4310 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:31

Originally posted by ellrosso
Posted Image

.....All shots from 1965 Longford

Focussing on the people in this shot, at the rear of the Mildren Maserati we have Stewart Randall, with Glenn Abbey next to it. Spencer Martin is walking forward from beside the Ferrari (this was that car's second-only meeting), perhaps that is David McKay talking to the chap in the white dustcoat?

I think that's likely because of the two pairs of brown overalls worn by people with their backs to us. That was a regular get-up for Scuderia Veloce crew and I'd reckon one of them would be Bob Atkin. So this is Monday.

The driver behind the Ferrari? I'd say it's likely Les Howard. It would be interesting to see if Geoff Smedley agrees with this.

Edited by Ray Bell, 03 January 2011 - 10:35.

#4311 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:37

Posted Image

.....Few more Longford shots '61-'65

And a fine chance for Bruce and Lee to understand why Phil Hill's car appeared to be on slicks...

#4312 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:39

ellrosso,

These Pat Smith photos continue to be brilliant.

If I've worked this out correctly for the post 4308 group -

#71 shows David McKay at Newry in the O'Neil Ferrari 250GT during the 1961 event.

#11 well Ray's already mentioned it as the Mildren Maserati, Ralph Sach driving it at the 1965 event. Behind with the red TR4 is quite possibly #27 Bob Curran.

The next one with the three Cooper Climax, I think should be 1962 - #9 Bill Patterson, with #6 Bib Stillwell, followed by #3? Angus Hyslop, heading for Longford Corner.

Then I struggle to pick up detail, but I think it's Graham Hill #1 SV Repco-Brabham, Bruce McLaren #10 Cooper-Climax & Jack Brabham #4 Repco-Brabham heading towards Longford Corner in 1965.

Where the rear of McLaren's Cooper-Climax pokes out of the pit, that's Wally Wilmott (with foot on front wheel), isn't it?

The rest from 1965 can be worked out from previous postings. Although it would be interesting for someone with Bluebird information to tell us more.

Stephen

#4313 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:56

Look at all those chaps with their shirt off. Stirling Moss certainly started a trend back in 1961. No wonder the internationals enjoyed heading to New Zealand and Australia for these events. Jim Clark looks so relaxed and OH & S were years away. So many officials trackside and drums of Esso race fuels sitting in the hot sun, they'd have a fit now.

Thanks for sharing ellrosso.

Stephen

#4314 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 14:26

Yes, Stephen, that's Wally talking to Bruce...

But who is it sitting on the back wheel? Tyler Alexander?

And what magazine is he looking into, that's not the right shape to be the race programme? And I can't find a page of RCN in any of the previous three issues that looks like that. Maybe it's Tasmanian Motorist?

In the pic including Hill and Brabham, could that be Phil Hill in the Cooper? He sort of sat up like that in that car. Notice, also, the gap in the trees.

#4315 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 22:40

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Focussing on the people in this shot, at the rear of the Mildren Maserati we have Stewart Randall, with Glenn Abbey next to it. Spencer Martin is walking forward from beside the Ferrari (this was that car's second-only meeting), perhaps that is David McKay talking to the chap in the white dustcoat?

I think that's likely because of the two pairs of brown overalls worn by people with their backs to us. That was a regular get-up for Scuderia Veloce crew and I'd reckon one of them would be Bob Atkin. So this is Monday.

The driver behind the Ferrari? I'd say it's likely Les Howard. It would be interesting to see if Geoff Smedley agrees with this.

Geoff agrees...

With the exception that he can't be sure about Bob Atkin, but he thinks Bob is likely the one over there with David. Likewise, he has no idea who the man in the white dustcoat could be.

#4316 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 23:46

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Its a pleasure cooper997, thank you and thanks for the support re the mercnut comment. Tongue in cheek or not mercut, I didn't get much out of it
and it basically makes me feel like an idiot in front of other TNF 'ers. I was only a bit over a year old when those shots were taken in 1958, so my favourite racing cars come from a later era when I could see them in the flesh. I didn't go to a race meeting till 1967, and my first favourite was the ex Clark Lotus 32B in David Sternberg's hands. When I saw the turbo F1's at Adelaide in 1985, they became the top of my list.
The main reason I come on this Forum is because my oldracephotos website has forced me to expand my motorsport knowledge beyond my own era
as I was getting questions regularly about cars/drivers I knew nothing about. This Forum helps me enormously in this area and I thank all of you who have helped me out in the past with searches etc - this Forum is a great recorder of history and I know all of you are concerned with accuracy and rightly so. When I did some further searching I found a shot of Arnold Glass's Ferrari and the difference was immediately obvious to me. When I posted the 250F shot I checked a reference book and the caption incorrectly described it as the Glass car. To many of you this would have been a no-brainer, to me it is not. I hope you all enjoy these photos I am posting. I started my website because I wanted to make my small library available to others. I thought it would be better to get some fellow Tasmanians involved whose collections I knew and would give the site a focus - hence Longford. It started as a sideline hobby and still is - as long as it breaks even after expenses I'm happy. Fingers crossed it will be online again soon.

#4317 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 23:47

Ray,

I think it's likely to be an Autosport that Tyler? is reading. If David drops by later hopefully he will tell us that it is him. The page layout and size of the mag is like Autosport, whereas Tasmanian Motorist layout is along the same lines as RCN of that period.

Regarding the shot I wrote as Hill, McLaren & Brabham, I struggled with detail. But I still think it is McLaren rather than Phil Hill. Looks like a green band around the nose, rather than blue of Phil's T79. Also the helmet looks more Bruce's than Phil's style (no big black visor band obscuring the chin, that I can see).

Trees-wise I'm guessing you're eluding to Timmy Mayer's accident in this area in 1964

Going to the grid photo with the 250LM and the Mildren-Maserati, the programme has the starters for the car races, as James Muir & Noel Windsor. So it could be one of them in the white coat.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 03 January 2011 - 23:55.

#4318 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 00:36

And a fine chance for Bruce and Lee to understand why Phil Hill's car appeared to be on slicks...

Those Firestones are different tyres to the other shot. Apart from being marked they have a squarer shoulder. The Goodyears of I thought a bit later [68-69?] had almost no tread, just light siping and they look like those. In the first shot if you look hard you can see the miniscule tread at the front. But very light in comparison to those Firestones.

#4319 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:10

ellrosso,

All we can do is attempt to do our best. The enthusiasts on TNF have a wealth of knowledge, but no one can know everything.

Gee, even those who I've helped keep food on the table for years (as in the journos) by spending hard earned on car magazines they contribute features in, can get it wrong.

When it's said and done though, if we're brave enough to stick our head out of the trenches and add a photo or indeed detail to a photo - whether it be car marque, race circuit, event date, etc., then there's a chance we're going to get shot down. Ideally though we don't need our noses rubbed in it.

Changing to post 4316 photos and #17 is probably Greville Edgerton's Elfin Mallala. In the programme it's actually in as #7 though.

The photo of #19 you've marked as Bruno Carosi - I'm thinking Bolwell.

Stephen

Advertisement

#4320 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:40

The photo of #19 you've marked as Bruno Carosi - I'm thinking Bolwell.

Stephen
[/quote]

Bruno's Bolwell Mk7 (?) 179 Holden Powered..... later destroyed in a fire.

Ellrosso
In the last series the last pic is at Symmons which I'm sure you know. The EH's on the straight are Robert Boote leading Wayne Mahnken

Alan Ling (deceased) owned the Lotus cars. Bruce Gowans later on drove the 23 for him. Its still in Devonport.
Bruce later was part owner of Ling /Gowans Toyota going on to become Bruce Gowans Toyota.

Ellis

Edited by Ellis French, 04 January 2011 - 02:46.

#4321 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:44

Mk 5 Bolwell for Bruno - famous in Tassy terms by being involved in a dead heat with Ross Ambrose's Elfin Aero at Longford in 1966.
Correct on Boote and Mahnken EH's Ellis, Alford's Cusso is just visible at Datsun cnr too.
Right for the Edgerton Mallala at Longford pits too - Ellis do you know who belong's to the metallic blue "early" in the background of the Mallala shot?

#4322 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:06

Mk 5 Bolwell for Bruno - famous in Tassy terms by being involved in a dead heat with Ross Ambrose's Elfin Aero at Longford in 1966.
Correct on Boote and Mahnken EH's Ellis, Alford's Cusso is just visible at Datsun cnr too.
Right for the Edgerton Mallala at Longford pits too - Ellis do you know who belong's to the metallic blue "early" in the background of the Mallala shot?

What year is it??
Cooper997 mentions having a programme in his post re the Mallala 7 v 17 number.
He may be able to identify for you. Darryl Boyd had an irredescent Blue Humpy but its not it.
Good pics bringing back some memories....Thanks

Ellis

#4323 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:17

Its 1965 Ellis. It called be J Commane entered by Chequered Flag servo as I think it could be No 39. The other No 100 car is not listed in the program.

#4324 mercnut

mercnut

• 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:18

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Its a pleasure cooper997, thank you and thanks for the support re the mercnut comment. Tongue in cheek or not mercut, I didn't get much out of it
and it basically makes me feel like an idiot in front of other TNF 'ers. I was only a bit over a year old when those shots were taken in 1958, so my favourite racing cars come from a later era when I could see them in the flesh. I didn't go to a race meeting till 1967, and my first favourite was the ex Clark Lotus 32B in David Sternberg's hands. When I saw the turbo F1's at Adelaide in 1985, they became the top of my list.
The main reason I come on this Forum is because my oldracephotos website has forced me to expand my motorsport knowledge beyond my own era
as I was getting questions regularly about cars/drivers I knew nothing about. This Forum helps me enormously in this area and I thank all of you who have helped me out in the past with searches etc - this Forum is a great recorder of history and I know all of you are concerned with accuracy and rightly so. When I did some further searching I found a shot of Arnold Glass's Ferrari and the difference was immediately obvious to me. When I posted the 250F shot I checked a reference book and the caption incorrectly described it as the Glass car. To many of you this would have been a no-brainer, to me it is not. I hope you all enjoy these photos I am posting. I started my website because I wanted to make my small library available to others. I thought it would be better to get some fellow Tasmanians involved whose collections I knew and would give the site a focus - hence Longford. It started as a sideline hobby and still is - as long as it breaks even after expenses I'm happy. Fingers crossed it will be online again soon.

please accept my apologies,it was never my intention to belittle anyone,as i said it was only meant "tongue in cheek" & i do sincerely apologise if it caused you any grief.i will continue to enjoy your contributions on this site.

#4325 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:26

Posted Image

Hard to work out when this one is from...

Symmons and a Gold Star event for sure, Scott alongside Sternberg and Costanzo, that's McCormack in the Brabham behind them. But that doesn't agree with the '69 Gold Star grid as published!

However, perhaps the grid positions were determined by the results in a heat, as had been the case at Longford?

Then that would explain McCormack and Sternberg swapping places... P Waters is in the old Elfin, possibly it's Barry Tapp in the Wren?

Posted Image

This gives us evidence that it is Bob Atkin talking to David McKay in the earlier pic, while the identifiable hat is on someone else.

.....This Forum helps me enormously in this area and I thank all of you who have helped me out in the past with searches etc - this Forum is a great recorder of history and I know all of you are concerned with accuracy and rightly so. When I did some further searching I found a shot of Arnold Glass's Ferrari and the difference was immediately obvious to me. When I posted the 250F shot I checked a reference book and the caption incorrectly described it as the Glass car. To many of you this would have been a no-brainer, to me it is not. I hope you all enjoy these photos I am posting. I started my website because I wanted to make my small library available to others. I thought it would be better to get some fellow Tasmanians involved whose collections I knew and would give the site a focus - hence Longford. It started as a sideline hobby and still is - as long as it breaks even after expenses I'm happy. Fingers crossed it will be online again soon.

Only too happy to help...

Edited by Ray Bell, 04 January 2011 - 03:33.

#4326 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:08

ellrosso,

I think the 48/215 'humpy' behind the #17 Edgerton Elfin is probably Garth Wigston. He is listed as #63 and I think it's a 3 just visible (with nothing afterwards) on the bonnet. But the #100 FJ isn't listed in the programme.

Can either you or Ellis add any history of the Robert Kent #14 Cooper S shown with the EH & Mustang at Symmons in 1969 please? Was this the John Pooley car?

Stephen

#4327 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:43

This is where the site being down is so frustrating. Definitely not Garth's car Ellis as we have shots of him from the '65 event with No 63 clearly visible.
His car was grey too as I remember his wife driving it around during the week around Hobart (race engine out of course).
Pretty sure Bob Kent's car was built up by him from a road car as the paint looked original. Randall Bromfield (who raced a Cooper S also - 1967) drove it in Bask practice in 1969 and had a huge roll-over at the bottom of the hill and wrote it off - doubt whether they exchanged Xmas cards that year! We have shots of the wreckage on site.
Bob then built up a later model with hydrolastic suspension from memory which he raced in 1970. He was very quick in both cars and I think the later car was bought by Rob Conneley, who in turn had a big crash at Calvins cnr and may have written it off - not sure though.
Used to be funny watching Tony Watts and Bob getting out of their Cooper S's actually as both were well over 6' and had to unfold themselves out of the car almost.

#4328 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:06

Ray, that Symmons grid could be from Saturday's race maybe. Also it is Brendan Tapp in the Wren Climax.

#4329 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:51

I'm rather interested in the second photo from ellrosso's post #4316. It is labelled as the '69 Gold Star race, but the grid positions don't quite match what I have. Which side was pole on?

It appears to be row 3 at the front, on a 3x2 grid. You can see a small section of a car in front, possibly Max Stewart?
Row 3 from near to far: Scott, Sternberg, Costanzo
Row 4: McCormack, Brendan Tapp
Row 5: Far spot only is Peter Waters Catalina.

I have the following grid and qualifying times:

Scott 8th on 1:00.1
Sternberg 9th on 1:00.7
Costanzo 6th on 0:57.9

McCormack 7th on 0:57.6
Tapp 10th on 1:03.3
Waters 11th on 1:03.8 with Ian Haynes' Lynx and Woelders 600B Elfin (DNP) behind him.

It seems that somehow I have McCormack's and Sternberg's qualifying times transposed.

#4330 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:17

ellrosso,

Thanks for the information on Bob Kent's Cooper S. When I saw the photo of it I wondered the lineage of it. If Ellis can add anything further that would be great.

Sorry about thinking the 48/215 'Humpy' was Garth's, maybe it was another late entry too.

Stephen

#4331 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:48

Cooper 997/Ellrosso

The starters in the 65 Lgfd Alan Ling S7 pic are...
Noel Windsor
Jim Muir
Jack Sheldrick?

The starter on the RHS of 250LM pic appears to be Jim Muir

None of the Humpies in the Mallala pic are Garths
Still investigating

Ellis

Edited by Ellis French, 04 January 2011 - 07:54.

#4332 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:54

Originally posted by ellrosso]
Ray, that Symmons grid could be from Saturday's race maybe. Also it is Brendan Tapp in the Wren Climax.

I've heard the name Barry Tapp somewhere, so I jumped in with that... thanks for the correction...

And yes, Saturday's race is a prospect. Or could it be like I suggested?

#4333 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:30

If it is Saturday's race and the published grid for the Gold Star is correct, that would mean that McCormack was able to lap the BT4 around a second faster than Glyn Scott's FVA Bowin, and half a second quicker than Sternberg's 32B in the Saturday race.
It would also mean that the first 4 in the Gold Star race had a fastest lap 0.7 or more slower than in the Saturday qualifying heat.

#4334 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:48

That McCormack lap time doesn't seem right to me - I'll have a look at some RCN Symmons race reports (incl that meeting) and see what Chopping has written.

#4335 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 20:33

Elrosso
Cooper997

The 250 LM pics are shown in group of pics as 1965. I think it was there in 1966 .(edit...1965 is correct...memory gone...
edit 2...memory half gone. It was there in 66 as well but not as dominant)

The Elfin Mallala / Humpy shot has greenish grass in the pits . I dont think its same year as other pics.

I havnt got a 66 prog on hand to check numbers etc so maybe 997 can do it.

Ellis

Edited by Ellis French, 04 January 2011 - 21:04.

#4336 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 20:45

Having gone through Stephen's report, it's clear that lap times in the Saturday race determined grid positions on Sunday (or was it Monday?) for the main race...

While Allen had a coming-together with Scott (which put Scott out) in the preliminary, he did set a new class record on recovering. This gave him third on the grid ahead of Harvey, who finished that race in third. Both McCormack and Sternberg failed to finish that event, possibly their times were unrepresentative.

#4337 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 21:35

Looks like all Pat's shots were taken on the Saturday after reading Chopping's RCN report on that meeting. McCormack was ahead of Sternberg on the main race grid on Monday - 59.6 to Sternberg's 60.7. Quite a big gap for these two as there was usually no more than 1/2 sec either way at most meetings. They were very evenly matched. McCormack was between Costanzo 57.9 and Scott 60.1 on Monday's grid.

#4338 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:42

Ellis/ellrosso,

I've had a quick look at the 1966 & 67 programmes and can't see anything that fits into the numbers of cars in the Elfin Mallala photo. I can't see any sign of the Edgerton Elfin either. So is it possbile its 1964, if it isn't 1965? Would the Shell depot have been in the same spot both years (visible in background of the 48/215 & Elfin)? And if it is 1964, I haven't got a either day's programme.

Please excuse me if I'm slow to respond for today and tomorrow.

Stephen

#4339 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 00:01

Surely that's Cusack's Elfin Mallala?

I don't think any others looked that good or were that colour, were they?

If that's the case, '65 would be too late for it, he was racing the 23 by then.

Advertisement

#4340 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 00:04

I've only been to Collingrove hillclimb once, for a special stage of the SA rally Championship round in 1974, or 1975, if my memory is correct.

Dean Rainsford
Posted Image

Stewart McLeod
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4341 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 00:48

I've only been to Collingrove hillclimb once, for a special stage of the SA rally Championship round in 1974, or 1975, if my memory is correct.

Dean Rainsford

Posted Image

Ed Mulligan in the Torana? Seems to have NSW plates on it. And the navigator's arm out the window? Wouldn't want to do that on a forest stage - get your elbow taken off by a tree!

Bruce Moxon

#4342 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:00

Surely that's Cusack's Elfin Mallala?

I don't think any others looked that good or were that colour, were they?

If that's the case, '65 would be too late for it, he was racing the 23 by then.

The 1964 results show 2 Elfin Mallala....

Aust Tourist Trophy.....G Cusack 3rd

Sports Car Handicap ...B Thomson 3rd

#4343 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:49

Dean Rainsford
Posted Image

Stewart McLeod
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Wein Smith on the hockey stick, That is Mulligans L34 rally car. In the early days of Tailem Bend Rallycross Stewart Mcleod ran a Z rallycar. It was a pig understeerer, I really dont know how those things were competitive in rallying!

#4344 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:50

Thomson's had a supercharger sticking out above the Climax engine in the rear...

Quite distinctive. And it was a darker red, IIRC, if not silver?

#4345 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:55

If that was Cusack's Mallala it is perfect. It does not have even a stonechip on it.

Was not Thompson's supercharged Mallala Green?

#4346 nivola

nivola

• 173 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:16

Afternoon all

Great work on all the images of late. Sometimes im left wondering what is next to come and think maybe it wont be so surprising but always there is something to make me realise i was born to late in the last century! Grrr

Go a bit of a request for some with Queensland contacts.

Im looking for some images of the Rothmans 250 at Surfers in 1971. In particular one Allan Moffat and his XY GTHO Phase Three.

Can anyone help?

#4347 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:50

I've got no programs or race reports from 1964 to check re the Mallala shot but all the shots in sequence on either side of it are from 1965 so I'm guessing it would be the Edgerton car from '65. Does look immaculate doesn't it.

#4348 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:12

Im looking for some images of the Rothmans 250 at Surfers in 1971. In particular one Allan Moffat and his XY GTHO Phase Three.

Can anyone help?
[/quote]

Nivola

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ellis

Edited by Ellis French, 05 January 2011 - 08:15.

#4349 DJH

DJH

• 174 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:50

Nice suit, I had some seat covers made from that fabric.

#4350 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 20:10

Obviously the sun was a bit of an issue when it got low in the sky.