Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8601 replies to this topic

#4601 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:08

Syd Negus Cooper Bristol leads Greg McEwen MacHealey state championships 1957. ( the Machealey was mentioned in the Mallala
thread.(the year in the photo caption is wrong)

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#4602 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 516 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:43

Not actually a photo so if I have this in the wrong Forum please adise & I will remove, it is a result sheet from Huntley Hill Round 4 of the NSW Hill Climb Championship 1966.

I am hoping it will stimulate some discussion & Photos, noted amoungst the entrants is a M. Brewster driving a Hillman ... now who could that be?????

Posted Image

#4603 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,389 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:57

Not actually a photo so if I have this in the wrong Forum please adise & I will remove, it is a result sheet from Huntley Hill Round 4 of the NSW Hill Climb Championship 1966.

I am hoping it will stimulate some discussion & Photos, noted amoungst the entrants is a M. Brewster driving a Hillman ... now who could that be?????

Posted Image

There is a few names there that look familiar. Colin Bond in the Lynx Pug, Bob Forbes in a Cortina, Herb Taylor in an EH and an R Willis who lurks around here, and is still racing. And I am a South Aussie!

#4604 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 775 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:11

If you are wondering why my last run was heaps slower than the previous, I had the most almighty lose on the last corner and backed it into some scrub, fortunately with not much damage.

The NSW Hillclimb champs in those days was very hotly contested with Colin Bond the winner in 1966 in the Lynx Peugeot which he, not surprisingly, drove very well his his pre HDT days. Ron Thorp in the AC Cobra too was often in contention for outright honours.

#4605 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:18

Right place, don't worry...

See how many I know:

Bob Caddy, the Bobbin builder
Tom Sulman
Erol Richardson, a member here
Dick Shoebridge, the Voo-Doo was a go-kart with flimsy body
Spike Jones, later drove for Jack Wortmeyer (as did Erol)
Ray Heffernan, died at Oran Park that year
John Rumble, the Renault man, related to Stan
Don Baker, known in the trade as 'Dudder'
Stan Rumble... there he is
Colin Bond
Ron Thorp
Dick Willis
Mal Brewster... what Hillman was a sports racing car over 1500cc?
Graham Wood in the MG B he also raced
Bob Forbes
Dr John Uren, AARC member
Brian Mayman
I should know the Tolhursts... memory lapse here - Colin? John?
Peter Finlay (spelled wrongly, but that's okay)
Eric Ancich, Fiat man from Cabramatta
Herb Taylor

#4606 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:46

I think it was Chas Tolhurst wasn't it Ray?

#4607 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:00

That's right, or popularly known as 'Charlie'...

And I see that Peter Finlay has graduated to MG TCs these days, vide the latest Australian Classic Cars.

#4608 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,605 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:42

Dr John Uren is a 'Highlands' resident now, and plays bridge. His NSU Prinz was a class winner in the early '60s. I helped him with the suspension, to get it to handle?, sorry, go around corners a bit quicker.

Brian Mayman lives in Tamworth, and his son, Colin is carrying on the hillclimb tradition - in a VW Beetle. :clap:

#4609 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 516 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:15

Right place, don't worry...

See how many I know:

Dick Shoebridge, the Voo-Doo was a go-kart with flimsy body

Dick now flies RC Model Planes here in Wollongong

Spike Jones, later drove for Jack Wortmeyer (as did Erol)

Spike now lives on the Sunshine Coast, the SM Special was Spikes last run in the car before he sold it to me.

Ray Heffernan, died at Oran Park that year

The car that Ray drove was a GP winning car that Stirling Moss drove to victory but not with the ford motor in it

Stan Rumble... there he is

If I remember correctly this was a four wheel drive contraption that had 2 Renault motor/gearbox one at the front the other at the rear, performance was not as good as he wanted.

Mal Brewster... what Hillman was a sports racing car over 1500cc?

The Brewester Hillman was also his road car, I believe it was the ex Andy Roberts car, had to run as sports as Mal had removed parts to make it lighter???????

I should know the Tolhursts... memory lapse here - Colin? John?

Charlie Tolhurst who was a left foot Braker & his brother Jim who ran a Fiat 1500

Hope that this helps.

#4610 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:34

Makes for some interest...

If Mal's car was ex-Andy Roberts, then it would have been the Hillman Californian I used to see Andy race, cream in colour, maybe with a black two-toning (roof?).

And to Dick... you were lucky. The top of Huntley was where Bob Abberfield ended his racing career, going backwards into a tree in his Farrell.

#4611 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 775 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:55

Not to forget the crew from the North Coast of NSW, all in the Improved Production, under 1500 class ;

John Hoade from Grafton, 1071 Cooper S still has it and runs it occasionally
Barry Forbes also from Grafton, Cooper S, sadly no longer with us.
Ted Boreham, Bellett, one of the Coffs lads for a time.
Don McInnes, Cortina GT, my former business partner and also no longer with us.

Did anyone recognise the Schazum Healey, formerly the Mac Healey from SA but with a Holden engine in 1966 and later restored to the Mac Healey format by Roger Wells ( also no longer with us ) and still active in Historics driven by Graeme Marks.

#4612 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 516 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:25

Makes for some interest...

If Mal's car was ex-Andy Roberts, then it would have been the Hillman Californian I used to see Andy race, cream in colour, maybe with a black two-toning (roof?).

Ray to the best of my knowledge yes the car was cream but it was a Sedan, I do remember that Mal did enter it for a Bathurst meeting but was refused a start as the car did not have a laminated windscreen, the record of the entry can be found in John Meedley's Book on Bathurst.

Did the CAMS law regarding windscreens change about this era to a Laminated Screen.

#4613 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:24

Originally posted by DanTra2858
Ray to the best of my knowledge yes the car was cream but it was a Sedan, I do remember that Mal did enter it for a Bathurst meeting but was refused a start as the car did not have a laminated windscreen, the record of the entry can be found in John Meedley's Book on Bathurst.

Did the CAMS law regarding windscreens change about this era to a Laminated Screen.

Are you sure the screen was the reason for not getting a start at Bathurst?

I'm pretty sure that laminated screens were required by the CAMS before this time, but someone might know better than me. I'd have thought it more likely that he'd missed out on a start there because he didn't have a full licence (you needed to get signatures at three meetings to qualify for that, Bathurst was for 'experienced' drivers only).

And the Californian was a 2-door sedan, or a coupe, not a sports car.

Dick... I remember Roger telling me about the Mac Healey as it came to him with the Holden engine. It had, as you would recall, a 5-speed gearbox from an Austin Champ in it. The Champ came with a choice of RR or Austin engines, though your choice was the military version (RR engine) or civilian (Austin engine), the latter being very rare. The gearbox casings differed between the two, of course. There was no reverse gear in the box because that was in the transfer case. 10 forward speeds, 5 reverses (perhaps they had plans to sell into Italy?)

So Roger had the car at some workshop in Mosman or somewhere and removed the engine and box (the engine was sold for a sedan, was it not?) preparatory to refitting an Austin-Healey engine. He took a trip to NZ to get some of those. By the time the engine was ready, the gearbox had disappeared.

Roger hunted high and low looking for one, but could only get a RR version, so he had to have an adaptor made to fit that.

#4614 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,605 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:37

Laminated screens were required when I started racing in 1961. It was easy for me - the VW screen was flat, so [using the old 'Safety-Circle' one as a template] it cold be cut easily from laminated glass. The scrutineers used Polaroid sun-glasses to check for safety? glass!

#4615 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 775 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:46

I too had to fit laminated screens in 1962 to my Humpy when I started racing it.

When Roger refitted a Healey engine to the MacHealey he put the Holden engine into the Max Stahl Replica Humpy which was pictured on TNF a few months ago. Initially he used an A70 type gearbox but kept breaking it until he was able to get the Champ box which had Needham ratios in it as the originals would have been useless with a stump puller for first gear, not sure what box is in the car now.

#4616 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 23:37

Thanks Ray

Do you know what year Gordons car was? I believe its a '69?

Any idea of what became of it?

It was a very early genuine 911S - one of the first into WA - probably a 67/68. Was written off in a road accident and Gordon bought the wreck. Unfortunately when 911s were outlawed from sports sedans there was no category where it was thought to be competitive enough so it was sold to Vic Trimble who ran it at Claremont speedway where it was destroyed.

BTW Ray, the Sprite was always the faster of the two cars and was more than deserving of his great talent. It was an absolute giant killer and showed it's heels on many occasions to the Porsches, Chevron B8 and Lotus 47. I believe he should have headed east early in his career, as I believe he would have been a true force in any national category. My brother and I are waiting with anticipation of him joining us in the sports car ranks in his potent ex SCCA Fiat X19 which runs the same engine as the Uno Turbo Street Car he campaigned so successfully over here. It should be a rocket!

#4617 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:24

Originally posted by Dick Willis
.....When Roger refitted a Healey engine to the MacHealey he put the Holden engine into the Max Stahl Replica Humpy which was pictured on TNF a few months ago. Initially he used an A70 type gearbox but kept breaking it until he was able to get the Champ box which had Needham ratios in it as the originals would have been useless with a stump puller for first gear, not sure what box is in the car now.

Would it have been such a stump puller?

With high and low range, and a direct top (fifth) gear, it might have been low, but I wouldn't have thought it super-low.

No doubt the car now has a box like Roger couldn't find, but with the Needham gears inserted. Anything else would be silly.

Brendon... those are nicely complimentary words about Gordon, undoubtedly justified too. I'm also looking forward to hearing how he gets on with his X19:

Posted Image

#4618 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 15:29

I was sent these today, Greg Falconer took them and we've thrown them into the ring for our new F5000 book. Don't know if they'll be used, but they're certainly different cars:

Posted Image
John McCormack over the Oran Park Dogleg in an early outing with the M23-Leyland P76

Posted Image
Kevin Bartlett heading John Walker at Sandown. This is the only run the Brabham had looking like this, KB said it was a much better car with this nose arrangement.

#4619 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,389 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 21:15

Macs M23 certainly is a better looking car than the Brabham. That radiator hanging on the side is plain ugly!! And vulnerable too

Advertisement

#4620 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 21:41

John Mac ran an open face helment as late as that.

#4621 MCS

MCS

• 3,520 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 21:52

Posted Image
Kevin Bartlett heading John Walker at Sandown. This is the only run the Brabham had looking like this, KB said it was a much better car with this nose arrangement.

That's an extraordinary picture. Looks like a Lola T332 airbox and a Shadow DN9 nose and as for the side radiator...

#4622 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 22:21

That's an extraordinary picture. Looks like a Lola T332 airbox and a Shadow DN9 nose and as for the side radiator...

wonder if there now both racing in historic F1?

#4623 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 775 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 22:46

Kevin once told me the extraordinary story of the eventual fate of that Brabham, perhaps he will relate it to us as he is on TNF at times.

#4624 MCS

MCS

• 3,520 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 22:54

Yep. The Brabham is at the bottom of the deep blue sea.

#4625 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 13,846 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 23:13

Discussed in this earlier thread, including Kevin's account in post 4:

The strange tale of the F5000 Brabham BT43 (merged)

#4626 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 23:36

Originally posted by MCS

Well, KB did the same for the T400...

Maybe he should explain all about it? He did tell me just a week or two ago that the car was transformed by these modifications.

Lee... where else could the radiator go without chopping up the chassis?

#4627 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 23:57

With high and low range, and a direct top (fifth) gear, it might have been low, but I wouldn't have thought it super-low.

No doubt the car now has a box like Roger couldn't find, but with the Needham gears inserted. Anything else would be silly.

Brendon... those are nicely complimentary words about Gordon, undoubtedly justified too. I'm also looking forward to hearing how he gets on with his X19:

Posted Image

For Cam, a pic of the Mitchell Porsche. If I find a better one I'll post it.

Posted Image

Edited by Haggis 2, 15 February 2011 - 23:57.

#4628 smeetsie

smeetsie

• 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:52

Ray...
Tried to send PM says your box is full.....

I have lotsa photos and slides I was given to do the press releases, programs and ads for the Rothmans Series at Adelaide International Raceway in the 70's. I also shared premises with Orange Photography, and regularly emptied their bins of spare prints. Also from 60's and 70's Mono's and 600's...up to Elfin Canam single seater era. they took PR shots for Elfin.

Are you coming to Adelaide anytime soon??

I am happy to scan what you want......but not loaning out originals. I have done that once too often - and am missing some treasured memories.

regards
Pete Smeets

#4629 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:11

Hi Ray,how long before the book comes out?

#4630 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:18

Schedule for the book seeks a release in June...

Smeetsie, do you notice that I have my e.mail address at the bottom of each post I make? My e.mail inbox is never full!

#4631 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:24

Schedule for the book seeks a release in June...

Smeetsie, do you notice that I have my e.mail address at the bottom of each post I make? My e.mail inbox is never full!

fantastic,i will pass the word to all my 5 litre mates.Up to what period?

#4632 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:35

Thanks Haggis!

#4633 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 431 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:41

Ray

Champs...
Standard they have a 5 speed all synchro box.....no Low or High range... (Civilian and Army have identical gearbox)
and separate fwd or reverse (so 5 fwd/5 reverse) so will do same speed backwards or forwards...to get out of ambushes fast.

Low and 2nd are very low so normal driving you can take off in 3rd. 5th is 1:1

Ellis

#4634 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:41

Originally posted by Lola5000
Fantastic, I will pass the word to all my 5 litre mates. Up to what period?

The entire F5000 period in Australia and New Zealand, covering the lead into it from the 2.5 Tasman Cup through to the demise and replacement with FPacific...

Basically, the main thrust will be 1970 to 1981, but it won't neglect the perspective of earlier and later years.

It will be a good book, I've seen just one article for it so far, one of the Forewords, it is so full of enthusiasm and interest that it shows there will be a lot of good reading - and a lot of good photos - to enjoy.

And I've got a surprise or two coming as well, something very different, something that will make people better understand what goes on behind the scenes.

One problem I have is getting contacts with people who were involved, so many e.mail addresses and phone numbers out of date. I have to chase up a lot of people!

#4635 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:55

The entire F5000 period in Australia and New Zealand, covering the lead into it from the 2.5 Tasman Cup through to the demise and replacement with FPacific...

Basically, the main thrust will be 1970 to 1981, but it won't neglect the perspective of earlier and later years.

It will be a good book, I've seen just one article for it so far, one of the Forewords, it is so full of enthusiasm and interest that it shows there will be a lot of good reading - and a lot of good photos - to enjoy.

And I've got a surprise or two coming as well, something very different, something that will make people better understand what goes on behind the scenes.

One problem I have is getting contacts with people who were involved, so many e.mail addresses and phone numbers out of date. I have to chase up a lot of people!

Any good photos of JW going under the fence at Sandown?

#4636 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:05

I have lotsa photos and slides I was given from 60's and 70's Mono's and 600's...up to Elfin Canam single seater era. they took PR shots for Elfin.

Are you coming to Adelaide anytime soon??

I am happy to scan what you want......but not loaning out originals. I have done that once too often - and am missing some treasured memories.

regards
Pete Smeets

G'day Smeetsie

Would be great to see them all at Mallala over Easter?

#4637 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:32

Jack Brabham works on his car.1962 AGP.That wouldn't happen now.

Posted Image

#4638 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:36

I have probably shown these before but they are worth revisiting. Davison,Patterson,Youl.1962 AGP.

Posted Image

#4639 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,389 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:39

Jack Brabham works on his car.1962 AGP.That wouldn't happen now.

Posted Image

These days even if a major driver wanted too he would not be allowed to by the team.
Though if you own the team it may be alright!!
Differnt days, sad really

Advertisement

#4640 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:39

Bill Patterson WA Championships 1960.

Posted Image

#4641 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:43

[quote name='ken devine' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:36' post='4846654']
I have probably shown these before but they are worth revisiting. Davison,Patterson,Youl.1962 AGP.

Posted Image

I haven't seen that one Ken ....SUPERB

Karl

#4642 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:43

John Youl AGP62.

Posted Image

#4643 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:48

The pic of Patto and Davo...

They were little more than also-rans in this race, of course. They would never stand a chance against the much more modern cars of Brabham and McLaren. But also of interest is that they were co-drivers of the car that was credited with the win in the previous Caversham AGP.

#4644 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:48

[quote name='ken devine' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:43' post='4846669']
John Youl AGP62.

Posted Image

Ken,

I never saw John Youl wear a "Herbie Johnson" in that car ..that is an intruging picture..

Karl

#4645 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:44

And isn't he sitting a bit tall? Or just leaning forward?

#4646 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:12

Bruce McLaren.62 AGP

Posted Image

#4647 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:14

Arnold Glass. AGP62

Posted Image

#4648 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:17

Alex Mildren State Championships 1960.

Posted Image

#4649 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:36

Originally posted by ken devine
John Youl AGP62.

Posted Image

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Ken,

I never saw John Youl wear a "Herbie Johnson" in that car ..that is an intruging picture..

Stan

My first thought was, "David McKay"!

David did not enter this race and was awaiting delivery of the car Jack was driving in this event. I have no idea of why he might have been trying out Youl's Cooper, but it does look like him.

I did e.mail Geoff Smedley about it, but he didn't respond. He's too shaken up by the news that Symmons Plains has been offered for sale for subdivision.

#4650 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 431 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:17

My first thought was, "David McKay"!

David did not enter this race and was awaiting delivery of the car Jack was driving in this event. I have no idea of why he might have been trying out Youl's Cooper, but it does look like him.

I did e.mail Geoff Smedley about it, but he didn't respond. He's too shaken up by the news that Symmons Plains has been offered for sale for subdivision.

Symmons Plains the old farm property ..not Symmons Plains the race track.

Its been for sale for a month or so in 1 or 2 parts ...the house and a 100 acres ? or so and the remainder of the farm or sold as a whole.

The adjoining track and its land are owned by Motor Sports Tas. along with Baskerville.