David McKay at Bathurst...

the wheel beading on the McKay car ?

Advertisement

#4752 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:08

the wheel beading on the McKay car ?

An extra row of spokes -external to the actual wheel rim - thought to give the wheel some extra rigidity as opposed to having all of the spokes located in the well area of the rim.

#4753 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:16

DB3s being driven by Ray Barfield to win the 1961 6hr at Caversham.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4754 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:06

Posted Image

That of course is McKay's second DB3S. His first was a twin to Sulman's

Photo is from the Australian TT at the 1958 AGP meeting. Car behind is Frank Cantwell's Tojeiro-Jaguar from NZ

#4755 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 20:56

Best I can do...

Posted Image
Tom Sulman at Albert Park...

Posted Image

Dont you love the background cars in the Tom Sulman pic. Cusso, A40, Chevrolet, single spinner I think [backwards] And surprisingly not a Holden in sight. What is the car alongside the Sulman car. It looks to me to be an early Simca Aronde but I think a bit early for them? That is 56 I presume?

#4756 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:04

It is an Aronde. Norm Crowfoot and Dick Cobden raced Arondes at Bathurst at the Easter '56 meeting, so they were about.

#4757 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:07

It is an Aronde. Norm Crowfoot and Dick Cobden raced Arondes at Bathurst at the Easter '56 meeting, so they were about.

Thanks, I thought they were about 58. Quite a modern car for the era.

#4758 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 339 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:18

Caversham 1947 a Ford Mercury and a 1935 Ford V8

Posted Image

The same two cars, I only got this one recently and didn't know when it was. The previous one gave me the answer. Caversham 1947.

Posted Image

The lead car in these two pictures appears to be the same however I don't believe the second one is.
As to the descriptions. Certainly not a '47 Ford Mercury. The lead car appears to have a'37 Ford front however the bodywork is not standard for a '37 Model. Firstly, it has no running boards. Secondly, the doors have been modified by the addition of the scalloped area to provide relief for arms. They are also suicide doors. '37 Fords didn't use suicide doors at the front for any US based model in '37. Thirdly, the overall profile suggests the body work has been channelled over the frame which you would otherwise see without the running boards. On reflection it looks like some kind of special that has been made up of body parts from various makes the front sheet metal and rear guards are '37 Ford but the body is not. That rear mounted spare was last seen on Fords in '36. Basically a very early Aussie Hot Rod!

The second car in both pictures is not the same in my opinion. In the second picture the car depicted is clearly a '39 Ford Deluxe Convertible. These cars have a grille consisting essentially of vertical bars. However the height of the grille is to the top of the front guards whereas the car in the first picture depicts a grille that extends the full height of the bonnet. That second car I believe to be the Dodge roadster depicted in post 4737 , second from the left. You can just make out the spare wheel on the guard.

Another observation , why are these cars carrying a passenger and driver ? Riding Mechanic? Navigator? Any ideas?

Edited by fredeuce, 03 March 2011 - 21:31.

#4759 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:13

This would be the lead car in photo 2, i didn't say it was a 1947 Mercury. They often carried a riding mechanic in races in the early
days.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#4760 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:16

This is possibly the Dodge Roadster in the startline photo.

Posted Image

#4761 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:57

Even in sedans; how's this for sidecar passengering in a "stock car" as they called them then. That's Roy Posselt's car, in the 1940 Patriotic Grand Prix on the streets of Applecross.

Posted Image

#4762 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:31

Terry,
Is that Walter Lindrum "swinging" from L rear?

What were they thinking???

#4763 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 601 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:00

My how times have changed, note they are all racing with hub caps & that much chrome on the front of the bonnet let alone the horns, my how times have changed.

#4764 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:01

Yeah, love the waistcoat!

Stock cars then were considered a bit of fun, not real racing. I remember Alan Tomlinson telling me, back in the 1970s when I interviewed him, of being passenger in a Ford V8 sedan at Lake Perkolilli. He was standing on the running board on the inside, hanging onto the pot-metal door handles and pulling his bum in whever they flashed past a bore-pipe course marker. Now there's an image to terrify CAMS!

A "stock car" then meant a road licenced runabout, unmodified - hence stock. It was all very informal, and several punters who first ran in their street car in these cheerful events went on to race seriously later. Syd Negus, a West Aussie local hero for many years after the war, punted his family Chev sloper coupe at Applecross in 1940, loved it, went into a proper racing car after the War.

Edited by Terry Walker, 04 March 2011 - 06:05.

#4765 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:04

An extra row of spokes -external to the actual wheel rim - thought to give the wheel some extra rigidity as opposed to having all of the spokes located in the well area of the rim.

I have an idea the Aston wheels were "Borrani" ?

Ken's picture of the Aston with Ray Barfield up would have been the only time WA enthusiasts would have seen it in such good nick.
It went downhill fast in the years to come. Turned into a pile of s#i+ actually. ): Thank god the Poms rescued it.

David McKay also drove Simcas, successfully. See the chapter in his "Behind The Wheel".
That model Aronde shown in Lee's picture [1956] would have been the first of that style.

#4766 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:04

I have an idea the Aston wheels were "Borrani" ?

Yes, they were Italian made Borrani wire wheels with aluminium rims - much favoured by the early Ferraris (and much lighter than the steel rim versions).
They were of course made obsolete with the introduction of the lighter fully cast magnesium wheels - which could also run tubeless.
Borrani still make wire wheels for historical vwhicles but they are quite expensive.

#4767 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:39

Thank god the Poms rescued it.

Surely Kerry Manolas was Australian?

#4768 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:42

The Barfield Aston was restored in New Zealand,and was in a Swiss colection.

#4769 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:46

This is what the poor thing looked like in 1963 its last year of racing.

Posted Image

#4770 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:46

An Australian bought it from Ray Barfield in a mysterious hole-and-corner transaction off-premises, and I understand after a very over-the-top Pebble Beach type restoration it passed through at least one other pair of hands and now lives in (again I think) Switzerland. I have seen pics of it, and the finish and detailing wouldn't be out of place on a Rolls-Royce, but infinitely beyond anything it ever had even when newly built. It's nice that it's restored, but jeez . . .

#4771 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:56

This was after the New Zealand restoration. It was on the cover of Octane a few years after it had further restoration.I think it may
have run at the Goodwood Revival recently i saw a glimpse of a car that looked like it in a race.

Posted Image

#4772 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:51

Yes, they were Italian made Borrani wire wheels with aluminium rims - much favoured by the early Ferraris (and much lighter than the steel rim versions).
They were of course made obsolete with the introduction of the lighter fully cast magnesium wheels - which could also run tubeless.
Borrani still make wire wheels for historical vwhicles but they are quite expensive.

I have been thinking of starting a thread about wheels because I was sure that you would have a lot of photos to fill it up, what do you think?

#4773 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:12

I have been thinking of starting a thread about wheels because I was sure that you would have a lot of photos to fill it up, what do you think?

Do it, they have evolved from wood to very trick alloys over the years.

#4774 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:10

The Barfield Aston was restored in New Zealand for Australian Kerry Manolas, and was in a Swiss collection after several years in English ownership

#4775 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,170 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:24

The Barfield Aston was restored in New Zealand,and was in a Swiss colection.

another car a cetain collector sent O/S :o :down:

#4776 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:51

Wheely good idea mountain man....I know where there is lots of info on 10 inchers :lol:

#4777 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:34

Stumbled upon this. See page 20.

http://men.realviewt...age=page0000006

#4778 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:37

Apologies in advance because the link is not to my photos, or indeed anyone's, but some interesting characters nevertheless

I think it fits better here than in the catch-all you-tube thread, and more likely to be seen by interested parties

#4779 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:33

Thank you, David: a long time ago, but good: some great names and some great characters

Advertisement

#4780 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 00:19

Here are some fabulous images from the early-sixties, courtesy of our fellow-member Paul, AKA 'pppdrive' (who mainly posts on the bike racing sub-forum), and was astute enough to realise that the four-wheeled fraternity would appreciate them. And we do!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4781 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:43

I don't know whose these pics are, Twinny, but they've been doing some rounds by e.mail lately... some identification:

Posted Image

Bruce Burr pushing the Greg Cusack Elfin Mallala in the pits at Lowood about 1963.

Posted Image

Frank Matich in the Lotus 19 coming over the rise in front of the 'Ant Hill' (XXXX Hill). 1963?

Posted Image

Neptune Racing Team - Beechey's Mustang, McKeown's Lotus Cortina and Manton's Cooper S, 1965. A good pic for the 'Transporters' thread.

Posted Image

Geoff McClelland's Brabham at Lakeside, in the background is Brian Michelmore's Zephyr at its first ever race meeting.

Posted Image

Practice day for the 1963 Lakeside International 99, as an FC Holden wagon tows the Ferguson P99 somewhere (towards the racing pits?), I would guess that it's John Surtees' Lola that's obscured by spectators, with Tony Maggs' Lola behind it (yellow helmet) and Bruce McLaren's Cooper is off to the side. I would guess the Cooper behind them is one of the Kiwi cars... right, David? Shelley or Palmer?

Posted Image

'Carnal Arnold' Glass and his BRM at Lowood, note the serious bragging about Datsun performances at Bathurst on the trailer.

Posted Image

Not such a big boy as he grew up to be later... Ian Geoghegan in the original Lotus 23... I would think this is at Lowood.

Posted Image

Lionel Ayers in the Lotus 20 at Lowood. Some identification of the people and cars in the background of this one would be good.

Posted Image

An early-'60s Lowood grid. It looks like a combined sports and racing car race... again, identification would be very interesting.

Posted Image

Start of a 'division 2' tintop race at Lakeside, with more interest probably in the cars in the foreground. Bruce McPhee's lime green FE Holden, that looks like Brian Muir's early Holden next to it. Looks like an SP250 on the left, which could reveal something for the thread about them the other week, while the sight of the Renault 750 still in the pits leads me to think there must have been a 'division 3' race as well... or that's one very quick Renault that ran in 'division 1'. Note that a Renault 750 did run in the ATCC race there in '64 driven by B Hare.

I'll leave it there and come back to it later...

Edited by Ray Bell, 15 March 2011 - 02:07.

#4782 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,247 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:43

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:43' post='4895145']

Can you post this in the Transporter Thread GREAT pic ...Thanks RAY.

Posted Image

Neptune Racing Team - Beechey's Mustang, McKeown's Lotus Cortina and Manton's Cooper S, 1965. A good pic for the 'Transporters' thread.

Edited by eldougo, 15 March 2011 - 03:43.

#4783 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:47

Thanks for the captioning service, Ray

I think the Cooper in the group shot will be the car run alongside the Bowmaker Lolas for Jim Palmer

Looking forward to the ID of the No.4 Cooper

And I'm presuming that'll be the Giltrap Museum's Supersqualo going out for a demo - Noel Tuckey, perhaps?

#4784 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:49

A few more, these from Surfers Paradise:

Posted Image

The Scuderia Veloce Ferrari in the pits during a 12-hour race. And on the track, too, headed under the Dunlop Bridge. I can't pick the year:

Posted Image

Then we have the start of a touring car 12-hour... this one on January 5, 1969:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This race was won by Bill Gates and Jim Bertram, the biggest success of the XT Falcon GT. And I believe this Lakeside race start shows Ron Hodgson leading a couple of Holdens, a Mini and a Customline. All from before my time, but I think the red Holden might be Max Volkers... any takers?

Posted Image

Purely guesswork now, this seems to me most likely Bill Pitt leading Hoddo, Brian Muir and Ian Geoghegan out of Lakeside's Karrussell:

Posted Image

Edited by Ray Bell, 15 March 2011 - 06:51.

#4785 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:40

I think the #4 Cooper is Len Deaton. This would make it the Ford powered example he brought to Australia. Which means it's the ex Walker Moss car. This could be the June 11th 1961 Lowood - Qld Road Racing Championship meeting - proven more so if that's Geoff Sakzewski #31J VW.

Some of the Lowood photos Ray has identified already, is most likely the June 9th 1963 Australian Tourist Trophy meeting. Geoghegan won it in the #5 Lotus 23, #7 SV/Cusack Elfin was there and in the background of that photo #14 is the Blair Salter Elfin. The Arnold Glass #7 BRM-Scarab was also present at that meeting.

The black #64 MGA behind the #44 Brabham, will be Adrian Yannucelli.

Whoever these photos are, they're fantastic.

Stephen

#4786 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:45

Posted Image

Start of a 'division 2' tintop race at Lakeside, with more interest probably in the cars in the foreground. Bruce McPhee's lime green FE Holden, that looks like Brian Muir's early Holden next to it. Looks like an SP250 on the left, which could reveal something for the thread about them the other week, while the sight of the Renault 750 still in the pits leads me to think there must have been a 'division 3' race as well... or that's one very quick Renault that ran in 'division 1'. Note that a Renault 750 did run in the ATCC race there in '64 driven by B Hare.

I'll leave it there and come back to it later...

I'm wondering if the Renault was a DNS for the 'Division 2' race. The Customline nearby it can be seen in the later photo, probably the 'Division 1' race at the meeting.
A lot of sports cars with hardtops in the pits for an Appendix K race. A Chrysler Royal ambulance in there too.

#4787 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:05

Just had a look at the #17 Ferrari Super Squalo photo. Des Kelly at Lowood's June 11th 1961 QRRC meeting too?

Stephen

#4788 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:05

I wonder if Geoff Smedley can look in and tell us which meeting this is?

I would suspect that it's the same '63 International meeting practice day... which is a shame, because he led the lot in the rain the next day, didn't he?

Posted Image

And November 1965... the day the ground shook in Kurwongbah!

Posted Image

I can personally guarantee that the people there in that corner of the spectator area inside the circuit could feel as much as they could see and hear as Miles in the Cobra boomed out of the Karrussell. It was a sensational car and made a huge impression that day... while it lasted. That's Jane's lightweight E-type in the background. And if anyone wonders why it was called the 'Ant Hill':

Posted Image

Miles closing on Glynn Scott in Ann Thompson's 15.

#4789 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 21:15

I wonder if Geoff Smedley can look in and tell us which meeting this is?

Posted Image

Miles closing on Glynn Scott in Ann Thompson's 15.

Ken Miles Ray? I had no idea he ever raced here.

Bruce Moxon

#4790 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 21:42

I believe it was November 30, 1965...

You missed out on so much being born so late, Bruce. A huge event, the Australian Tourist Trophy for that year and he was the invited guest.

This one is early on the morning of the '66 AGP, the next race day after that event on the beautiful Lakeside circuit... Jim Clark in the Lotus 39, pretty sure this is coming out of the Karrussell, but it could be opposite the pits on the straight:

Posted Image

And this is from the same untimed practice session that morning:

Posted Image

Spencer Martin drives into the pits as Graham Hill gets out of his BRM and Glynn Scott goes by in the Lotus 27. But where's Tim?

#4791 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,750 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 22:05

That's when The Pits WERE the pits!

Edited by GMACKIE, 15 March 2011 - 22:07.

#4792 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 22:06

A few more, these from Surfers Paradise:

Posted Image

The Scuderia Veloce Ferrari in the pits during a 12-hour race. And on the track, too, headed under the Dunlop Bridge. I can't pick the year:

Posted Image

Then we have the start of a touring car 12-hour... this one on January 5, 1969:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This race was won by Bill Gates and Jim Bertram, the biggest success of the XT Falcon GT. And I believe this Lakeside race start shows Ron Hodgson leading a couple of Holdens, a Mini and a Customline. All from before my time, but I think the red Holden might be Max Volkers... any takers?

Posted Image

Purely guesswork now, this seems to me most likely Bill Pitt leading Hoddo, Brian Muir and Ian Geoghegan out of Lakeside's Karrussell:

Posted Image

Lakeside looks a lot wider and smoother now!!

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 15 March 2011 - 22:07.

#4793 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:22

Yes, Lee... it was a bit rougher and a little narrower. Mind you, the apparent narrowness of the Kink there is just because there's been a partial re-surface.

And to add more full images from the multitude... the Len Deaton ex-Moss Argentine GP winning car. I'm at a loss to say whether this is Lowood or Lakeside, any ideas anyone?

Posted Image

PS... there is a racing VW in that pic!

An even better shot of the Ant Hill... in the distance, of course, the lesser spectator area in the foreground never saw many more than four-deep at the fence. There's a tintop race in progress here, lots of Holdens, a Zephyr Mk 2 or two, perhaps a Customline, they're not real clear. Quite visible in this, between the two spectator areas on the extreme right, is Sid Sakzewski's VIP room.

That was a great place to be to watch a race. All the competitors were always welcomed there, the press and people who knew Sid. His wife served up biscuits and tea or coffee, to the non-competitors I recall once getting a round of Seppelt's Great Western, and in the latter days it was a very hospitable place because of the ex-drivers' wives, people like Coral Scott, who helped out keeping everyone fed and watered.

The other thing about this pic is that the great number of cars in the carpark should give a good indication of how late it was taken. I don't think I see any EH Holdens, though I feel sure there's an Austin Freeway in there, I would place this at early '63, which probably means the International Meeting at which the pics of the Ferguson and Youl were taken.

Posted Image

Any advances on identifying this Elfin Clubman at Lowood? The stripe around the front is the same as (or at least similar to...) the one used by Ray Cary, but his car was green.

Posted Image

Another Lowood shot as earlier identified, the Kelly brothers' Ferrari:

Posted Image

#4794 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:33

Originally posted by David McKinney

I think the Cooper in the group shot will be the car run alongside the Bowmaker Lolas for Jim Palmer

And I'm presuming that'll be the Giltrap Museum's Supersqualo going out for a demo - Noel Tuckey, perhaps?

Hadn't noticed your post there, David... sorry about that...

Stephen identified the pic of Des Kelly at Lowood in the Ferrari, Noel Tuckey's time with it came over a decade later. And I thought it would be Jim Palmer.

Here are a few more that weren't included in those Twinny posted. These all came together in an e.mail circulated in the first instance by Brian Michelmore... but it's done the rounds since then... and shortly you'll see why he was so excited about them!

More Surfers 12-hour, no idea if it's a sports car or a touring car version:

Posted Image

Glynn Scott's Cooper Climax at Lowood:

Posted Image

A Lotus 18 at Lowood... I don't think it's a Geoghegan car, is it?

Posted Image

Lionel Ayers again, driving through his Lotus 20 the pits at Lowood:

Posted Image

I wonder who can tell us what this Ausca-looking car is?

Posted Image

I have a few more... I'll put them up later...

#4795 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:34

Originally posted by David McKinney

Hadn't noticed your post there, David... sorry about that...

Stephen identified the pic of Des Kelly at Lowood in the Ferrari, Noel Tuckey's time with it came over a decade later. And I thought it would be Jim Palmer.

Here are a few more that weren't included in those Twinny posted. These all came together in an e.mail circulated in the first instance by Brian Michelmore... but it's done the rounds since then... and shortly you'll see why he was so excited about them!

More Surfers 12-hour, no idea if it's a sports car or a touring car version:

Posted Image

Glynn Scott's Cooper Climax at Lowood:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lionel Ayers again, driving through his Lotus 20 the pits at Lowood:

Posted Image

I wonder who can tell us what this Ausca-looking car is?

Posted Image

I have a few more... I'll put them up later...

#4796 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 601 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:01

Posted Image

The Lotus 18 appears to have Front Drum Brake, so it would be an earyl FJ I suspect, any idear of Venue or year, hope this assists.

Some one out there must have results or Program??????

#4797 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 601 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:14

Any advances on identifying this Elfin Clubman at Lowood? The stripe around the front is the same as (or at least similar to...) the one used by Ray Cary, but his car was green.

Posted Image

I tried to blow up the design on the side of the Elfin but to no avail, so can't help there but what about the streamlining on the Sprite headlights is this another interperation of the rules!!!!!

#4798 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:06

The #50 Elfin is the GP Cars/Bill Gates entry probably at the June 9th, 1963 Lowood Australian TT meeting. The #46 Sprite behind it is P F Kinnane's.

The #22 Ausca is Denis Geary's as entered at the June 11th, 1961 Lowood Queensland Road Racing Championship meeting.

The #14 Lotus 18 is Bruce Coventry's, same June 61 meeting as the Ausca most likely.

The Ken Miles Cobra is the November 14th, 1965 Lakeside Australian Tourist Trophy meeting. It was an works entry going by the programme, stating "#4 SHELBY AMERICAN Inc, K Miles Cobra 427 7000"

I think we're getting somewhere with all these fantastic photos, now.

Stephen

#4799 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:14

An even better shot of the Ant Hill... in the distance, of course, the lesser spectator area in the foreground never saw many more than four-deep at the fence. There's a tintop race in progress here, lots of Holdens, a Zephyr Mk 2 or two, perhaps a Customline, they're not real clear. Quite visible in this, between the two spectator areas on the extreme right, is Sid Sakzewski's VIP room.

That was a great place to be to watch a race. All the competitors were always welcomed there, the press and people who knew Sid. His wife served up biscuits and tea or coffee, to the non-competitors I recall once getting a round of Seppelt's Great Western, and in the latter days it was a very hospitable place because of the ex-drivers' wives, people like Coral Scott, who helped out keeping everyone fed and watered.

The other thing about this pic is that the great number of cars in the carpark should give a good indication of how late it was taken. I don't think I see any EH Holdens, though I feel sure there's an Austin Freeway in there, I would place this at early '63, which probably means the International Meeting at which the pics of the Ferguson and Youl were taken.

Posted Image

Ray,

I was almost tempted to think the same with this photo being from the 1963 International. But at the bottom where there's three kids on bikes and the red Simca, sitting behind the post is a Morris 1100. They were only released in Australia, the Monday before the February 22-23rd, 1964 Lakeside International.

Also the cars on track are a bit of a struggle, but I think that's Jim McKeown's Neptune Lotus Cortina just forward of the tree. The first visit for the Neptune Racing Team to Lakeside. And maybe Harry Firth's Cortina GT, 2 cars further ahead of Jim. So I'm swaying towards it being the 1964 Tasman meeting's Event 8 for the top 15 Touring Car Scratch Race.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 16 March 2011 - 07:18.

Advertisement

#4800 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:54

Originally posted by cooper997
Ray,

I was almost tempted to think the same with this photo being from the 1963 International. But at the bottom where there's three kids on bikes and the red Simca, sitting behind the post is a Morris 1100. They were only released in Australia, the Monday before the February 22-23rd, 1964 Lakeside International.

Also the cars on track are a bit of a struggle, but I think that's Jim McKeown's Neptune Lotus Cortina just forward of the tree. The first visit for the Neptune Racing Team to Lakeside. And maybe Harry Firth's Cortina GT, 2 cars further ahead of Jim. So I'm swaying towards it being the 1964 Tasman meeting's Event 8 for the top 15 Touring Car Scratch Race.

Looking again, there might be a solitary EH up the line from the dark green A30, directly above the 1100, I think the boot's open or something and maybe there's a tarp hooked onto it all, as it makes the perspective look wrong. Anyway, I can see two Freeways, but the lack of EHs and even EJs surprises me. Plenty of FBs etc, however.

I looked at the race report for the event you mention, it doesn't really lend itself to the situation where Firth is that far ahead of McKeown when they're in traffic of this sort. Maybe it's during the ATCC later in the year?

What would be really nice would be to know who took these pics so we could find out a lot of this stuff for sure.

Now another one:

Posted Image