Patrick Depailler crash Salzburgring 1970

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 uwe_sautter

uwe_sautter

• 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:00

Hi guys,
give it more information about that crash?

A switch to Formula 2 with the Elf-Pygmée team for 1970 proved something of a disaster, the final straw being a practice crash at the Salzburgring from which he was lucky to escape with slight burns.

Thanks
Uwe

Advertisement

#2 HEROS

HEROS

• 238 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:03

About this crash, I read that Depailler was again a victim of a break of suspension as in the Paul Ricard Circuit a month earlier, but this time it caused a spectacular accident.

#3 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:09

I visited the Jack Middleburg link that was posted on here the other day and i read that Rob Punt passed away last year. Does anyone know the circumstances?

#4 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:11

Apologies. Wrong thread. :blush:

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:35

Uwe

I'm sure it was a wishbone or some sort of suspension failure that caused this specific accident. I have notes at home and will check, but I'm sure you'll get the whole story from a fellow forum member before I can respond.

#6 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 17:56

I've checked my notes here at home and it was indeed suspension failure, like Jean-Bernard also mentioned. I do not have the exact details, though. An AUTOSPORT report, I'm sure will give you all the background details. Unfortunately I can't help in this regard. Perhaps someone on the forum has got this AUTOSPORT issue and can help you further, Uwe.

#7 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 722 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:20

In 1974 he lost the rear wing of his F2 and crashes in the famous "Fahrerlagerkurve" (Baddock bend). One of these two accidents was a fire crash, if I am right.

By the way... did anybody of you guys manage to get the new Depailler book??

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 13:01

Originally posted by Stefan Schmidt

By the way... did anybody of you guys manage to get the new Depailler book??

I think the only way you are going to get one is to take a weekend trip to 21 avenue de la République in Cebazat... :confused:

#9 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 18:26

Originally posted by Stefan Schmidt
In 1974 he lost the rear wing of his F2 and crashes in the famous "Fahrerlagerkurve" (Baddock bend). One of these two accidents was a fire crash, if I am right.

AUTOSPORT had the following to say:

On his third lap of practice, Patrick was storming up the hill on the return leg, pretty near flat out in fifth gear when , "I think something broke, I hit the Armco with one side, turned and rolled and hit the Armco on the other side". It was really one of those monumentals, for Patrick ended up three hundred yards from where he stepped out untouched. It seems the right rear shocker may have been the cause but the car was a real mess.