Photo

Any motoring related sights in Dublin?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 14:26

I'm going to Dublin next weekend. Besides obligatory visits to beer related sights I'd appreciate if you could recommend me any motoring related sites as well. Is there anything teft to be seen of Phoenix Park Circuits? Any car museum in area? What about modelcar stores and bookstores with car and motorsport related books? Couldn't google much of it so any recommendation would be really welcome. :) Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 14:36

Word of advice: references in museums or conversations to the IRA are probably not about Joe Kelly's modified Alta.

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 15:45

The Phoenix park circuit is intact but there is nothing to see.
The circuit simply uses the roads through the park, they place straw bales in front of the lamp-posts (to protect the lamp-post), they place skips near the corners (for the marshal's to hide in) and that is it.
A section of grass is fenced off to make the paddock (those who've been there before bring their own lawn-mowers).

I've not been to the following, but they are on my to do list:

National Transport Museum on the outskirts:
Howth Castle Howth Demesne Howth Co. Dublin
http://www.nationalt...portmuseum.org/

If you're into trains:
Fry Model Railway Museum
Malahide Castle Demesne Malahide Co. Dublin
http://www.malahidec...odelrailway.asp

#4 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 17:03

I've been to both of those museums - although it is a while ago. They are more transport based than motorsport based.

Although Ireland has an interesting motorsport history, it doesn't have much in the way of any preserved motor racing artefacts or sites. This is partly down to the fact that much of Ireland's motor racing was/is performed on closed down public roads so, once the circus departed, the roads returned to normal.
The Phoenix Park doesn't even have grandstands. At least, they didn't in the days I was a regular atendee (1975-85).

There are onl;y two dedicated racing circuits in Ireland, Kirkiston in Northern Ireland and Mondello Park in County Kildare (about 40 miles from Dublin).

#5 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 21:21

Would've thought some of the bike tracks were worth a visit. Aren't Kells & Skerries just a little way to the north ?

#6 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 00:24

Some nice Phoenix Park photos from the 1970s:

Con Connolly's website

#7 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 00:38

Kells and Skerries were/are road races so there is nothing much to see when the races aren't being held.

I visited Skerries (which is accessable by train from Connolly Station, Dublin) in 2005. They have a small museum in the old restored windmills just outside the village and there is selection of photos of Skerries 100 motorcycvle races dating back to the late 1940s on display. That's about it, though - no actual hardware.

#8 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:30

I can't help on motor racing sites . . .

But abour 3 years ago I did a pub crawl in Dublin (beer related sites) and at some stage we finished up in a nightclub which had (a) extremely loud music and (b) large tanks full of fish about 3 inches from the 600 bhp loud speakers.

Allowing for a certain Guinness fog, I still worry about those fish. Or are fish deaf?