Photo

Formula 5000 - happy days!

• Please log in to reply
1182 replies to this topic

#1101 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 23:23

Thanks for the info Ray they were printed by Kenmure press and the editors were Mel Nichols 72 and 73 and Steve Copley 74.
I wil go into Pitstop later this week.

Advertisement

#1102 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:48

Yesterday i was sorting through some boxes of Auto Actions given to me a couple of years ago i came across 3 Australian Motor
Racing Annuals 72,73 and 74 there are some brillient F5000 photos it certainly wetted my appetite to get the book. When is it
available in WA Ray? Were these magazines the forerunner to the Motor Racing Yearbook?

Check if they have National Library of Australia stamps....they have some missing :|

#1103 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:57

I will do Ray.

Bloody Typo's....

Thanks

#1104 bill p

bill p

• 391 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:32

Some photos (Copyright B.Patterson) from 1969 Mondello Park, Surtees TS5 driven by David Hobbs and Andrea de Adamich
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1105 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:56

Some photos (Copyright B.Patterson) from 1969 Mondello Park, Surtees TS5 driven by David Hobbs and Andrea de Adamich

Great memories, Bill. Thank you.

#1106 Chris Frizell

Chris Frizell

• 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:54

My copy arrived in the mail this morning...I have spent the last half an hour browsing this fantastic volume of memories and reminisces...thanks to Ray and Tony for putting it all together into one place...and I have to say that the photos are just stunning...bringing back all kinds of memories that I thought had disappeared forever..

If you love F5000's and Nostalgia..get this book..

Cheers

#1107 longford68

longford68

• 68 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:46

Ray, I picked up my copy of the F5000 Thunder at Eastern Creek as well and recommend it to anyone who was there through the period or has recently developed an interest in the cars. I have been waiting for it to come out and it has been well worth the wait. Love the story on John Wright. Well done Ray and Tony for delivering a book that will be read by many and as a benchmark in motoring books for years to come. Regards Sid Rutty Jnr.

#1108 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:56

I got my copy from Pitstop bookshop in Perth i was lucky as all their stock had been preordered and this was the last one.
Congratulations Ray and Tony for an excelent publication, the photos were brillient especially the B/W and the landscape design made
them more outstanding.

#1109 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:24

Adelaide International Raceway 1974
Posted Image

Same venue 197?
Posted Image

#1110 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 264 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:11

Nice shots of the Matich's. The Davo car was run briefly with rear radiators but he struggled with overheating problems, as did Goss who tried several variations on his cars. The rear wing was single plane but Davo reverted to front radiator and a nice Lola T332 type 2 plane rear wing made by Garry Cooper of Elfin. Still on the car.

#1111 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:05

That's Frank Matich's last race start, is it not?

He'd been electrocuted and badly burned only a few weeks early, today he says he should never have been allowed to drive the car, yet he had front row grid positions and led races!

#1112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:00

Speaking of F5000 and 'happy days'...

This is Rod Carroll in his newly-assembled Lola:

Posted Image

He was happy enough to just run around at the back of the field on his first F5000 outing. Rod hasn't raced for over thirty years, and when he did it was in Clubmans... this is a different kind of animal!

He approached it all with some caution, but he managed to keep up with the slower part of the field and find the limits of the car under some circumstances. All in all he was very happy with this outing. This all took place at Eastern Creek ten days ago... and in the pits it looked pretty good:

Posted Image

He imported the car a bit over a year ago from America, it's probably the only T140 in the country (we never had one regularly race here in period, Derrick Williams visited with one in 1970) and it's obviously all new to Rod and his team. At the back of the car in the checked shirt is David Carroll, Rod's older brother, who spent the last week before the meeting making sure all was well with the new beastie.

#1113 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:20

Speaking of F5000 and 'happy days'...

This is Rod Carroll in his newly-assembled Lola:

Posted Image

He was happy enough to just run around at the back of the field on his first F5000 outing. Rod hasn't raced for over thirty years, and when he did it was in Clubmans... this is a different kind of animal!

He approached it all with some caution, but he managed to keep up with the slower part of the field and find the limits of the car under some circumstances. All in all he was very happy with this outing. This all took place at Eastern Creek ten days ago... and in the pits it looked pretty good:

Posted Image

He imported the car a bit over a year ago from America, it's probably the only T140 in the country (we never had one regularly race here in period, Derrick Williams visited with one in 1970) and it's obviously all new to Rod and his team. At the back of the car in the checked shirt is David Carroll, Rod's older brother, who spent the last week before the meeting making sure all was well with the new beastie.

Looks like SL140/13 to me. It has a complete history from new.

#1114 NZALPA

NZALPA

• 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:07

John Bryant was there in his T140 as well.

Quite fabulous to see the older cars out.........

Edited by NZALPA, 12 September 2012 - 11:08.

#1115 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,138 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:44

Adelaide International Raceway 1974
Posted Image

Same venue 197?
Posted Image

That AIR pic is strange, why it seems are the whole field driving down an empty pit lane?

#1116 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 23:06

If I remember rightly, I was standing way down the main straight, at the end of the drag strip.

I reckon the painted lines are for the end of the quarter mile.

It was at the end of the Armco & where the track beyond came back in towards the main straight.

Here's a later photo, of "I can't remember who", with a car on the track in the background.

Posted Image

All pretty grainy....my laundry darkroom was pretty ordinary when I first moved to Adelaide, & some of the results were very poor.

Edited by lyntonh, 12 September 2012 - 23:08.

#1117 Bondy

Bondy

• 188 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 23:50

Hi Lynton,

I reckon the Birrana driver will be Dean Hosking..

#1118 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 23:59

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Looks like SL140/13 to me. It has a complete history from new.

Yes, it is...

I spoke to David and he said that's the number on the chassis. He also told me that one of the previous owners chased up Rod and filled him in on the history. I daresay he's even seen your Lola T140 page.

Lynton, yes, that is Dean Hosking in the F3 Birrana.

#1119 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:59

Some photos taken at the Sandown Tasman meeting in 1971.

Firstly on the corner before the pits on the Saturday.

Niel Allen
Posted Image

KB
Posted Image

Rich Galloway
Posted Image

Bob Muir
Posted Image

Chris Amon's car waiting to cross the circuit....along with the mob
Posted Image

Advertisement

#1120 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:12

Wow, Rich Galloway, something of a legend here in Cowtown (Denver).

I think my longtime friend and client John Barker maintained that car at his Performance Development & Racing shops here.

I'm sending it on and hope it's okay, he'll get a kick out of it.

Thanks! :up:

#1121 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:48

Wow, Rich Galloway, something of a legend here in Cowtown (Denver).

I think my longtime friend and client John Barker maintained that car at his Performance Development & Racing shops here.

I'm sending it on and hope it's okay, he'll get a kick out of it.

Thanks! :up:

It will be good that an old snap finds a home where someone will like it!!

#1122 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:57

It will be good that an old snap finds a home where someone will like it!!

I'd bet that happens a lot more than you realize, Lynton! :up:

Thanks Again!

#1123 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:34

Originally posted by E1pix
Wow, Rich Galloway, something of a legend here in Cowtown.....

Poor thing!

He crashed before the first round and missed all the NZ races, came across to Australia for Surfers and it was rained out, then practised at Warwick Farm only to have the engine fail to start as they lined up for the race.

He got the run at Sandown, but a pickup point pulled out after 17 laps and then had to go home before the Surfers event took place the next week after a three-week postponement.

E1, is he still around? If he is I MUST see him when I come through your domain...

#1124 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 21:11

I don't know, Ray, seems I heard he's passed on but hope I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm checking on this for you and will let you know.

We also have other F5000 blokes here, Bob Lazier, Hank Candler, and maybe a few more. Our old friend Eddie Miller lived here forever, but has left for warmer climes. :(

Edited by E1pix, 16 September 2012 - 21:27.

#1125 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 21:54

In New Zealand, Bobby Brown also crashed his T190 before the first race, so he and Rich combined their resources to allow Bobby to do the three remaining NZ races and then Rich did the Australian ones...

So Bobby Brown is another I'd like to contact.

Thanks for your efforts...

#1126 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 22:11

Bobby's a longtime friend of a longtime friend, I'll ask...

#1127 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,138 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 22:30

Some photos taken at the Sandown Tasman meeting in 1971.

Firstly on the corner before the pits on the Saturday.

Niel Allen
Posted Image

KB
Posted Image

Rich Galloway
Posted Image

Bob Muir
Posted Image

Chris Amon's car waiting to cross the circuit....along with the mob
Posted Image

I wonder what the Bee Pee thing on both KBs and muirs car is all about? The Muir car has the usual BP sticker on it as well.

#1128 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,318 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:47

I wonder what the Bee Pee thing on both KBs and muirs car is all about? The Muir car has the usual BP sticker on it as well.

Properly having a dig at some CAMS rule regarding adverting . :up:

#1129 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 23:07

The Tasman race Sandown 1971.
Posted Image
Niel Allen, Graeme McRae, Frank Matich, Teddy Pilette, Frank Gardner & ?

Posted Image
Chris Amon

Posted Image
Max Stewart

Posted Image
Niel Allen.....smoking

Posted Image
Niel Allen next lap not smoking any more .....

#1130 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 23:30

For Niel, I can tell you that was an utter tragedy!

There'd been a stone get into the injection, I don't know what happened from there, but he'd been simply striding away out in front and then it all fell apart. After a relatively lowly finish the previous week at Warwick Farm, he needed this win to cement his Tasman Cup prospects... he looked very disconsolate as he sat down after pulling out of the race.

These photos will be in our Tasman Cup book, Lynton, trust me! I'll get in touch with you about high res scans some time.

In the meantime, last night at the Historic Racing Car Club of Queensland meeting, KB and Bruce Allison talked about things they did back in the day, Barry Singleton related some of his experiences and Jim Lowe told of his very short F5000 career. There was about 50 people there and the number of our books in circulation jumped by about half that number on the night. Bruce, KB, Barry, Jim and myself were kept busy signing for some time.

Does anyone have pics of Bruce Allison in the March he drove in the US F5000 races?

#1131 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30

Originally posted by lyntonh
Posted Image

KB or Keith Holland... or possibly both, is that a part of a wing just showing behind Gardner's left rear wheel?

Edited by Ray Bell, 18 September 2012 - 02:30.

#1132 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 795 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39

KB or Keith Holland... or possibly both, is that a part of a wing just showing behind Gardner's left rear wheel?

A reflection off the polished wheel rim?

#1133 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,115 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:08

Posted Image

Niel Allen next lap not smoking any more .....maybe contrail conditions changed??

VADC? Thicktorian Advanced Drivers Club???

#1134 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:13

A good possibility...

If that's the case it's KB in the Mildren Chev next in line.

#1135 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:55

Volunteers And Dumb C**ts?
Well they would be the only people that would stand in that spot. :drunk:

#1136 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:02

I missed that post...

Victorian Amateur Drivers' Club. Nobody said they had to be smart!

#1137 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:54

Flaggies, also known as Victorian Amateur Drinkers Club,(VADC),now known as Victorian Flag Marshalling Team. I flagged at this point in the 60,s,( I don,t think I am to dumb) a very hairy spot indeed.

We had to jump down towards the horse track, the day they ran a Ford Cortina race for selected "known drivers",who came over the top of Lukey Heights 4-5 abreast.
The race was stopped by the clerk of course, by parking a car across the track, as they did not stop when the checker flag was shown. Some of the cars stopped out on the track out of fuel, as the organisers only put in enough to last a few laps, knowing these "known drivers" might have a bit of fun.

Try doing that today. Cheers Simmo.

#1138 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:30

KB won that one...

No, they didn't block the track, but after black-flagging them all for a couple of laps they red-flagged them and they headed for the pits. At least that's how the report reads.

#1139 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:59

Victorian Amateur Drivers Club. They were very active as a club in Melbourne in the early '70s. One of the first rallies I did was a VADC Two Day Trial, unfortunately a TR after crest became SO after crest and our rally finished half way through a fence in the middle of a freezing Victorian night.

Advertisement

#1140 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:18

Posted Image
KB going out

Posted Image
Graeme Lawrence

Posted Image
Malcolm Guthrie

Posted Image
Teddy Pilette

#1141 seldo

seldo

• 1,628 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 23:11

Thanks Lynton :) Your seemingly endless store of great shots never ceases to amaze me. :clap:

#1142 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,138 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:30

Flaggies, also known as Victorian Amateur Drinkers Club,(VADC),now known as Victorian Flag Marshalling Team. I flagged at this point in the 60,s,( I don,t think I am to dumb) a very hairy spot indeed.

We had to jump down towards the horse track, the day they ran a Ford Cortina race for selected "known drivers",who came over the top of Lukey Heights 4-5 abreast.
The race was stopped by the clerk of course, by parking a car across the track, as they did not stop when the checker flag was shown. Some of the cars stopped out on the track out of fuel, as the organisers only put in enough to last a few laps, knowing these "known drivers" might have a bit of fun.

Try doing that today. Cheers Simmo.

Geez, I thought that they would have been profesional drinkers! too stand there it may help settle the nerves too.

#1143 Chris Frizell

Chris Frizell

• 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:45

Hi all, was foraging through my old slides, and came across some pikkies I took at Adelaide International Raceway on a Saturday practice for a F5000 event, cant remember which one, but the date on the slides is Feb 1979...memorable for me because there were 2 Cosworth powered F1 cars in the field, brought here by Teddy Yip...one of the drivers was David Kennedy..perhaps Ray might be able to help with the other...anyway, here they are...

Posted Image

Cossy powered Ensign. Help please with the driver?

Posted Image

Vern?

Posted Image

The other Cossy powered car, David Kennedy written on the car...and a solid field of Formula V's on the grid...

Posted Image

The brilliant "see through" McRae...

Posted Image

Another of the McRae, the solid bloke in the white T Shirt is either the man himself or one of the crew...not sure...

Apologies for the quality, the only way I had to copy the slides was to project onto the wall and take a photo with the digital camera, quick and effective..

Cheers, Chris

#1144 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,639 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:27

The Ensign driver was Geoff Lees, and David Kennedy's car was Wolf WR4. Both men should have been driving Wolfs (Wolves?), but the second Wolf (WR3) was delayed in transit and wasn't ready until the next round of the series at Surfers Paradise.

#1145 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:23

And the Elfin MR8 is driven by Larry Perkins...

It was an interesting series that year with the F1 cars included.

#1146 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:13

Not sure if these two Toutube pages have been flagged up before on this page...

http://www.youtube.c...w...8U8xA&gl=US 1978 Adelaide International F5000 - TV coverage in two parts totalling 47 mins
http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu 1979 Oran Part International F5000 - TV coverage in two parts totalling 38 mins

The former race includes David Kennedy in the Wolf WR3

#1147 richie

richie

• 413 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:35

I've seen mentions of 2 unknown F5000 cars in 1974: Jock Russell entering JR2 and an ad for New F5000 Cars - Lister XH5- AVTECH £5000 Avtech engines - contact Derek Hawkins. Any clues?

#1148 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,138 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:26

Not sure if these two Toutube pages have been flagged up before on this page...

http://www.youtube.c...w...8U8xA&gl=US 1978 Adelaide International F5000 - TV coverage in two parts totalling 47 mins
http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu 1979 Oran Part International F5000 - TV coverage in two parts totalling 38 mins

The former race includes David Kennedy in the Wolf WR3

The AIR race was quite interesting. 50 laps without a pacecar, DRS zones, Tyre and fuel stops. Real racing in fast twitchy cars. And a real crowd to watch. And a real race starter.' A few standout performances, and some desperation too, especially from John Goss. And Warwick was too good.
And the drag strip with the bumpy return road did not seem that bumpy! it sure was a few years later.

#1149 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30

The AIR race was quite interesting. 50 laps without a pacecar, DRS zones, Tyre and fuel stops. Real racing in fast twitchy cars. And a real crowd to watch. And a real race starter.' A few standout performances, and some desperation too, especially from John Goss. And Warwick was too good.
And the drag strip with the bumpy return road did not seem that bumpy! it sure was a few years later.

Yes that really was a superb race - loved every minute ! :love:

Those two videos sum up the polar opposites of the formula: one was brilliant with real racing from flag to flag and the other was largely a procession in which every potential battle quickly dissolved through chronic unreliability with finishers laps apart at the end.

#1150 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 13:33

That Adelaide race was the second best race I ever saw...

Tremendous dicing for the places, Vern Schuppan holding down the cockpit bodywork as he diced among them, everybody really charging at the end of the series.

The Oran Park race was devastated by the raw new track surface, which John McCormack actually predicted before the race.