Formula 5000 - happy days!

• Please log in to reply
1180 replies to this topic

#51 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 16:09

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Or possibly Eddie Keizan? Did he have Lucky Strike colours - note crash helmet colour.

No its def not Eddie Keizan as I have a picture same day of him and he is in the Embassy car as Dan said.

Advertisement

#52 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 16:13

Originally posted by Twin Window
TNF member :up: [B]I've got an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo and virtually all my old pics are scanned from trannies.

The Kodak Instamatic was such a basic tool (the single adjustable function was cloud or sun - and even that made no difference!) so it's hard to imrove the pics past a certain point, but the images nevertheless bring back some great memories.

I've got quite a number of F5000 pics from 1972-1974, many of which have been scattered through the 'personal photos from the paddock' thread.Following Robinson in your pic? That's Trevor Twaites isn't it? Same car as in the other pic and also the first pic in this thread. Looks like it's got a Chevron airbox fitted.

Thanks Stuart, my scanner appears to be on the way out, so looking to get a new one in the near future. :|

Re the instamatic pics, my Canon scanner does not scan them I presume the Epson does? as I to have some paddock pics on instamatic, would be nice to get them done.

#53 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 16:18

Originally posted by picblanc

No its def not Eddie Keizan as I have a picture same day of him and he is in the Embassy car as Dan said.

Thanks, picblanc can you check your private messages please?

#54 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 16:28

Thanks, picblanc can you check your private messages please?

Hi Andrew, just replied to yours, hope you get it, if not let me know and will do it again.
Graham. :)

#55 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 16:29

Originally posted by David M. Kane:

Look how softly some of those things were sprung, lots of body roll.

Ah yes - I've heard about that. I seem to recall it was something called suspension movement or words to that effect, something long since decimated...;)

BTW: Does anyone here know how much componentry the BT43 shared with the BT40 and/ot the BT42?

#56 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:46

Re the instamatic pics, my Canon scanner does not scan them I presume the Epson does? as I to have some paddock pics on instamatic, would be nice to get them done.

Do you mean because the images are square in area as opposed to a normal 35mm trannie? Yes, I have had to make a few attempts with some of them but in the main they go through ok. And of course the mounts are the same dimensions as regular 35mm ones.

My scanner isn't very new (I bought it second-hand four or five years ago) so I imagine there are far better ones available now.

#57 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 18:09

[B]TNF member :up: [B]I've got an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo [B]

I've got one too, and for very old negs.....even the 127mm I made a cardboard neg holder
to scan . Bit of trial and error but it works.

#58 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 18:21

Do you mean because the images are square in area as opposed to a normal 35mm trannie? Yes, I have had to make a few attempts with some of them but in the main they go through ok. And of course the mounts are the same dimensions as regular 35mm ones.

My scanner isn't very new (I bought it second-hand four or five years ago) so I imagine there are far better ones available now.

Yes Stuart thats what I meant, but here is one I have done to see if it works!! :up: :D
Posted Image
Picture copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Yes I know we have seen this one! but it is different and is an instamatic photo!! not bad eh!?

#59 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 18:37

Yes Stuart thats what I meant, but here is one I have done to see if it works!! :up: :D
Posted Image

Yes I know we have seen this one! but it is different and is an instamatic photo!! not bad eh!?

It wont let me do any more!! :mad: :mad: :blush:

Advertisement

#60 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 19:33

Great thread.
I've got to throw in a link to my photos
Formula 5000 from 1973,1975 and 1976
http://www.yesterday...ormula 5000.htm

Rob

#61 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 19:46

Originally posted by Neuz
Great thread.
I've got to throw in a link to my photos

Rob

Great pics!! :up: :)

#62 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,733 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 20:13

.....I've got to throw in a link to my photos

This one is full of character...

Some good shots of Alan Jones in the 1976 stuff too.

#63 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 20:34

Originally posted by Ray Bell

This one is full of character...

Yes, can we have our 70s style women back please :)

#64 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 21:45

Anyone have any idea who she is? Just asking because I know my dad took several pictures of her. I'd say because of the way she looks not who she was. Just curious!

Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#65 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 22:17

Anyone have any idea who she is? Just asking because I know my dad took several pictures of her. I'd say because of the way she looks not who she was. Just curious!

Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

I think Dad was a little distracted!! :lol:

I like pic 22 not sure of the year but in the F5000 pics, she would be about my age now!! :(

#66 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 22:40

Three more pics from August bank holiday 1974. the pictures have been scanned from the original photos as negs appear to have gone walkabouts!! :p

Tony Dean and his raceday winning Chevron.
Posted Image

Eddie Keizan/Guy Edwards lola.
Posted Image

Leen Verhoeven Trojan T101
Posted Image
all pictures copyright Graham Etheridge,racebikepics.

#67 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 23:03

Dean's blue car, with backward facing stays but fullheight bodywork over the sidepods. Argh!

#68 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,416 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 23:55

Last fall I bought a Nikon Coolscan V for my slides. It is a bit pricey at around $600 US, but it has many features on it which are very useful for restoring old slides. I won't go through the list, because not only is it too technical for me to understand, but there are too many initials, i.e., digital DEE, DCE, etc.

An example: I shot a number of early races in the 60s on Ektachrome film. These slides have aged badly, taking on a very reddish tint. One of the Coolscan's programs is designed just for this problem. It not only removed the reddish tint, but restored the original colors to such a degree that they now jump out. I think that they look even better than original!

A long, very long, project of mine is to save all my slides digitally. I started with my first photographed race in 1960 and am now up to 1970. That covers the first 1300 or so in my collection. Since the collection is just under 30,000 I will not lack for activity when I find free time!

Don't mean to be doing an endorsement here, but I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

#69 FLB

FLB

• 1,921 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 23:59

Originally posted by David Beard

Yes, can we have our 70s style women back please :)

I agree! :lol:

#70 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 23:59

Originally posted by RA Historian
Last fall I bought a Nikon Coolscan V for my slides. It is a bit pricey at around $600 US, but it has many features on it which are very useful for restoring old slides. I won't go through the list, because not only is it too technical for me to understand, but there are too many initials, i.e., digital DEE, DCE, etc.

An example: I shot a number of early races in the 60s on Ektachrome film. These slides have aged badly, taking on a very reddish tint. One of the Coolscan's programs is designed just for this problem. It not only removed the reddish tint, but restored the original colors to such a degree that they now jump out. I think that they look even better than original!

A long, very long, project of mine is to save all my slides digitally. I started with my first photographed race in 1960 and am now up to 1970. That covers the first 1300 or so in my collection. Since the collection is just under 30,000 I will not lack for activity when I find free time!

Don't mean to be doing an endorsement here, but I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

Thanks michael I shall google it tomorrow to find out a bit more, of to bed now!!
30,000!! :eek: :eek:

#71 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,733 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 00:00

Originally posted by David Beard
Yes, can we have our 70s style women back please

Definitely something to look out for... but...

I was also looking at the 'Radio Flyer' style parts trolley and the casual style of things generally.

Rather like those pics we had some time back of Allan Hamilton's guys with thongs on as they tended his T430.

#72 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:39

Try the EPSON STYLUS PHOTO RX620, it is a printer, copier, fax and scanner all in one! Great value for money!

:wave:

#73 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:45

I was also looking at the 'Radio Flyer' style parts trolley and the casual style of things generally.

That's part of the charm of photographs like these. Wet paddocks full of puddles and varying surfaces, road cars dotted about the place at random, the variety of transporters - "proper" ones, converted buses and the odd flat-back lorry.....ah, it takes me all back to the days when the racing was deadly serious but the presentation wasn't even an issue.

#74 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:57

Graham, try rotating the trannie in the cradle - that often works.

#75 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 13:31

The Dell printers have most if not all of those features at excellent prices too.

#76 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,671 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 16:02

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Dean's blue car, with backward facing stays but fullheight bodywork over the sidepods. Argh!

Tony's transporter was v interesting too as I recall.... Or at least its contents!

#77 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 18:04

Great pictures on your site, Neuz.

How is this for roll-bar overkill????

http://www.yesterday...Tuck_Thomas.jpg

What a dreadful thing to do to a Lola T332.

#78 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 18:24

Tony Dean was the local hero when I was a lad and is long overdue for a feature in Motor Sport.Remember his fortuitous Can Am victory in his 908 - which he also used to annihilate Formula Libre fields at Rufforth and Croft.Brian Robinson alive and well and still races Porsches at Croft.
And - useless piece of personal information -I marshalled the first F5000 race at Oulton - Good Friday 1969 (?) and I think it snowed.My first ever race meting as a marshal too.

#79 2Bob

2Bob

• 399 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 20:30

On scanners and girls...

I bought an Epson V100 recently - $Aus200 - say $US150 but cheaper in US or UK - and it has carrier for 4 slides. Works OK for the price I reckon and has some software for cleaning things up but needs a lot of time to learn how to best use it.

Also like to endorse 1970s girls - they looked pretty good then and apart from a bit of wear and tear some of them still look pretty good now. Still married to one of them. Doesn't stop me looking though (at the 1970s models as well as the later versions). Not allowed to test drive any of course so have to assume that the handling and overall performance is still good. Don't know whether they have added traction control and all those other things like air bags which don't add anything to the enjoyment but just make the things safer if it all turns to S***, would assume so but don't quite understand how that would work.

Advertisement

#80 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 23:23

Originally posted by 2Bob

Not allowed to test drive any of course so have to assume that the handling and overall performance is still good.

The current editions have a far smoother finish to their bodywork than those of the 1970s, if my experiences are anything to go by... :)

The scanner you mention sounds a good buy to me; mine sorts four trannies or negs at a time too.

#81 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 23:34

Just found this one I hope its an F5000/ Bill Wood I presume?
Posted Image

#82 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,733 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 23:46

The current editions have a far smoother finish to their bodywork than those of the 1970s, if my experiences are anything to go by...

I think that's something built in by the manufacturers, though finishing techniques have improved I guess...

.....The scanner you mention sounds a good buy to me; mine sorts four trannies or negs at a time too.

Mine's a Canon. Always find that the software loses itself on the computer, have had problems with a couple of Canon scanners like this. Have to reload the software, the settings go awry etc.

And they're a menace to understand. Icons instead of words, don't they know we speak English?

#83 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 23:53

I think that's something built in by the manufacturers, though finishing techniques have improved I guess...

Mine's a Canon. Always find that the software loses itself on the computer, have had problems with a couple of Canon scanners like this. Have to reload the software, the settings go awry etc.

And they're a menace to understand. Icons instead of words, don't they know we speak English?

Mines a Canon flatbed scanner 2 years old and is frustrating me now as when I scan a pic then size it and crop before final scan the colour alters goes lighter and does not come back :mad:
Slightly of topic sorry!

#84 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 22:53

Brian Maquire Lola 1974
Posted Image

Peter Gethin Chevron 1974
Posted Image

Bill Wood leads I think? at druids 1974 (maybe not having had another look at my paddock pic!)
Posted Image
All photos copyright Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#85 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 22:58

The second driver in your last pic (directly above), Graham, is Steve Thompson - and that would be the Trojan T102 that he's driving.

#86 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:00

The second driver in your last pic (directly above), Graham, is Steve Thompson - and that would be the Trojan T102 that he's driving.

Thanks Stuart :up:

#87 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:13

I've posted this before, and it's a rubbish pic, but somehow it does capture what an F5000 race was all about...

Posted Image

Oulton Park Gold Cup, 1973. :love:

#88 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:24

Brave boys...

From a conversation with Barry Singleton, if it helps add to this scene:

Back there on the third or fourth or fifth row, sometimes I would actually wonder if I was going to survive the start or the first corner! Then when the flag came down, the noise was tremendous, and the smoke was blinding and you’d drive off hoping nothing was going to go wrong, because you really couldn’t see much at all.

Not only that, but you were getting rocks and rubber tossed up at you, it was terrifying.

This word picture takes on new meaning when you watch such a start, especially when a car darts out of line to dodge past a slower one, or when there’s a front runner has practiced badly.

Shame I don't have any pics of such a start at Phillip Island, though there were plenty of good ones at Oran Park.

#89 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:33

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Great pictures on your site, Neuz.

How is this for roll-bar overkill????

http://www.yesterday...Tuck_Thomas.jpg

What a dreadful thing to do to a Lola T332.

Flamin' Nora. Anyone with that much rollcage on his car is probably expecting to use it!

#90 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 23:47

Actually, if you can find where Buford posted it, he said that this was probably fitted after B J Swanson's fatal accident...

#91 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:25

I've posted this before, and it's a rubbish pic, but somehow it does capture what an F5000 race was all about...

Posted Image

Oulton Park Gold Cup, 1973. :love:

Its a great photo!! you can still hear the chevvies roar even now :up: even I can recognize Bob Evans in the Trojan, Tony Dean in blue who are the others in shot?

#92 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:27

Ian Ashley nearest the armco, Peter Gethin in works Chevron on the outside.

#93 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:35

Ian Ashley nearest the armco, Peter Gethin in works Chevron on the outside.

Morning Andrew, thankyou I did think it might of been Peter Gethin, but did not want to embarass myself! :)

#94 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:58

Originally posted by petefenelon

Flamin' Nora. Anyone with that much rollcage on his car is probably expecting to use it!

Reminds me of a piece in Joe Scalzo's sprint car book STAND ON THE GAS where he mentions someone turning up at a sprint car event on dirt with a "mid engined Lola F5000" which ran away and hid from the rest of the field. Natrurally it provoked howls of protest and mid engined sprint cars were banned soon afterwards.

Does anyone know any more about this?

I do recall seeing photos of the Indy Cooper Climax in it's later years decked out with fat tyres and a wing on the roll cage (and not remotely recognisable as Brabham's famous car) running in sprint car circles prior to being saved and returned to a more recognisable spec...

I love that start photo Twinny! 4 /10 for technical merit but 10/10 for artistic impression and atmosphere! A photo you can almost hear...if that makes sense?

#95 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:09

That was Jerry Hansen in his Lola T300 at Minnesota State Fair 1972. He lapped the field. They didn't like that!

Sprint cars then had the choice of moving forward with new technology, as Indy had decide to do ten years before, or to freeze their cars' layout. They chose the latter.

Allen

#96 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,307 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:33

Long shot - perhaps literally - if anyone has photos of the BRM P261 V8 driven in 1969 Formula 5000 events by Ian Mitchell I would love to obtain either a print of a scan of them/it. Better still - does anyone know if Ian Mitchell is still around...

DCN

#97 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 13:07

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Long shot - perhaps literally - if anyone has photos of the BRM P261 V8 driven in 1969 Formula 5000 events by Ian Mitchell I would love to obtain either a print of a scan of them/it. Better still - does anyone know if Ian Mitchell is still around...

DCN

There is a picture of the car in action (and going off the road) at Oulton Park on the "graphics" part of the Veloce Publishing website. I've had the devil of a job trying to post the link, so I'll give up on that and suggest trying (as I did) entering "Team Charles Clark" into Google, and then you'll find it at the bottom of the first page.

Any idea where Mitchell lived in the UK? Might have a long-shot answer to tracking him down if it happens to be anywhere near Leicester.

#98 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,671 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 14:13

Wasn't there a chap called Ian Mitchell in Clubmans B in the 80s. Same one ??

#99 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 16:11

Originally posted by ian senior
There is a picture of the car in action (and going off the road) at Oulton Park on the "graphics" part of the Veloce Publishing website. I've had the devil of a job trying to post the link, so I'll give up on that and suggest trying (as I did) entering "Team Charles Clark" into Google, and then you'll find it at the bottom of the first page.

Any idea where Mitchell lived in the UK? Might have a long-shot answer to tracking him down if it happens to be anywhere near Leicester.

This should do the job (it is page 4 out of 5 samples)

http://www.veloce.co...s/pdf/V4038.pdf

Advertisement

#100 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,620 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 17:25

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Long shot - perhaps literally - if anyone has photos of the BRM P261 V8 driven in 1969 Formula 5000 events by Ian Mitchell I would love to obtain either a print of a scan of them/it.

Posted Image

I also have a static paddock shot which I can look out if you might be interested, Doug. However, the Peter McFadyen shot from the Veloce website is fantastic - I can't top that!