Photo

Formula 5000 - happy days!

• Please log in to reply
1180 replies to this topic

#201 Prototype

Prototype

• 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:32

Here is the link to my homage to F5000, shot both last year and this year at Albert Park and Phillip Island.

Hope you enjoy! www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOjn2VQLKoA

Advertisement

#202 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:03

Just to prove that not all my pictures were of wonderful quality, I foiund these shots from Thruxton 1974 with my brand new Zenith SLR camera, where I hadn't quite worked out the technique of focusing and panning, but a couple of interesting names cropping up.

Posted Image

Guy Edwards in the Embassy Lola T332

Posted Image

Damien Magee A. W. Brown Chevron B24

Posted Image

Roloef Wunderink Tean HB Bewaking Chevron B24

Posted Image

Bob Evans McKechnie Racing Lola T332

Posted Image

Chris Craft Adlards Crowne Racing Chevron B24

Posted Image

Peter Gethin VDS Chevron B28

Like I sadi, not the greatest pictures ever, but a few of the less noted teams

#203 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:57

Just to prove that not all my pictures were of wonderful quality, I foiund these shots from Thruxton 1974 with my brand new Zenith SLR camera, where I hadn't quite worked out the technique of focusing and panning, but a couple of interesting names cropping up.

Posted Image

Guy Edwards in the Embassy Lola T332

Posted Image

:)

#204 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:03

[quote name='tinkerwinker' date='Jun 25 2010, 13:03' post='4433369']

Posted Image

Damien Magee A. W. Brown Chevron B24

Did Magee have the Chevron before the Lola?

Posted Image

#205 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:07

I've know I've posted these elsewhere but hopefully they're worth a repeat.

The Tony Dean Chevron at Silverstone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#206 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:10

Posted Image

:)

Didn't Eddie Keizan have a few goes in the Edwards Lola in '74, and was he in the car at this Thruxton race? Anyone know his connection with Edwards, other than £££

#207 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:18

Didn't Eddie Keizan have a few goes in the Edwards Lola in '74, and was he in the car at this Thruxton race? Anyone know his connection with Edwards, other than £££

You are right, that was Eddie Keizan at Thruxton 1974, I'd forgotten to check that. I blame on getting old and having a crap memory

#208 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:28

You are right, that was Eddie Keizan at Thruxton 1974, I'd forgotten to check that. I blame on getting old and having a crap memory

I thought the hemet looked odd.

#209 barrykm

barrykm

• 431 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 14:24

Eddie ran in Embassy colours for a time in the South African F1/F5000 series, so that is possibly the link.

#210 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 15:36

Found a few more F5000 cars, although they were racing in the Shellsport Gp8 series of 1977

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tom Belso

Posted Image
Posted Image

Robin Smith

Posted Image
Posted Image

Keith Holland

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bruce Allison

#211 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 17:48

Great photos TW, I remember the Bob Evans car on the front page of Autosport after the Thruxton race in 74.

#212 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 18:05

I dont know when Damien Magee had the Lola, but he had the Chevron @ Brands in 1974.
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.
Sorry about quality, but it is a low res pic! :well:

#213 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 18:07

The Embassy Lola @ Brands in August 1974, with Eddie Keizan as driver.
Posted Image

#214 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 22:31

Those too have been posted ages ago in various now deeply buried threads, so considering the renewed interest I shall without shame re-inflict them upon you...

From Mallory Park, easter '74 . Praktika LTL SLR ( slightly better than the Zenit-E :rolleyes: )

Posted Image
Bob Evans, Lola

Posted Image
Mike Wilds, March

Posted Image
Brian Redman, Lola

Posted Image
Keith Holland, Trojan

Posted Image
Bob Evans, Lola

Posted Image
Allan Kayes, McLaren

#215 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 22:36

And a few paddock shots from the same day....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#216 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 13:25

Nice shots from Mallory, on and off track

Think I've found the last of my F5000 photos, and including Arnoux's McLaren

Posted Image

Thruxton May 1974 and as far as I know this was the only appearance of Arnoux in the car, and it blew up in practice

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two of Guy edwards Embassy Lola, Guy driving this weekend

Posted Image

Bob Evans' Lola

Posted Image

and finally Patrick Sumner's Trojan

#217 richie

richie

• 412 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 14:13

Nice shots from Mallory, on and off track

Think I've found the last of my F5000 photos, and including Arnoux's McLaren

Posted Image

Thruxton May 1974 and as far as I know this was the only appearance of Arnoux in the car, and it blew up in practice

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two of Guy edwards Embassy Lola, Guy driving this weekend

Posted Image

Bob Evans' Lola

Posted Image

and finally Patrick Sumner's Trojan

Great shots but none of Chris Featherstone's Lola or McRae?

#218 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 14:25

Sorry Richie, I guess in my youthful enthusiasm running round the paddock armed with trusty Zenith, I missed a few.

oh and Phillipe, at that time I thought the Praktica was amuch better camera, it had through the lens metering, I would gladly have swapped.

#219 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 15:53

And I always thought the McLaren was maroon. Amazing what you don't know!

The Evans Lola shot has Bob talking to Frank Gardner behind the rear-wing...

Advertisement

#220 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 15:57

I remember the McLaren M19 of Arnoux was red at the Race of Champions 1974.

#221 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,640 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:49

And I always thought the McLaren was maroon. Amazing what you don't know!

Brian Robinson's M19C was maroon, Mark

#222 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 18:01

Great photos TW, I remember the Bob Evans car on the front page of Autosport after the Thruxton race in 74.

It made the front cover of Motor Sport too, I think, pictured starting from the front row at Brands Hatch, possibly next to Bret Lunger.

#223 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 18:53

Brian Robinson's M19C was maroon, Mark

Alan, I meant the ShellSPORT Arnoux McLaren. Apologies for not making myself clear.

These Thruxton pics have thrown up a real treasure trove - the Amon Talon (DNS and never seen again and, in any case, why was Amon suddenly in F5000?!), the only Arnoux appearance (and what's the story there, I wonder?) and so on!

Terrific and thanks once again tinkerwinker for your efforts.

#224 richie

richie

• 412 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:49

Sorry Richie, I guess in my youthful enthusiasm running round the paddock armed with trusty Zenith, I missed a few.

oh and Phillipe, at that time I thought the Praktica was amuch better camera, it had through the lens metering, I would gladly have swapped.

The quality is poor, sorry folks.

Posted Image

Chris Featherstone's McRae - Keith Holland driver

Posted Image

Brian Robinson

Posted Image

Robin Smith

Posted Image

John Tait & Jim Kelly

#225 richie

richie

• 412 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:54

The quality is poor, sorry folks.

Posted Image

Chris Featherstone's McRae - Keith Holland driver

Posted Image

Brian Robinson

Posted Image

Robin Smith

Posted Image

John Tait & Jim Kelly

Posted Image

Bob Ellice's Leda- don't think it raced.

#226 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,640 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 22:10

A few scrappy examples from the rejects drawer which I haven't posted before because of their indifferent sharpness or exposure but which may be of interest to F5000 afficionados:
Mallory Park 13 October 1974
Posted Image
Ian Ashley and Guy Edwards lead away from the front row of the grid
Posted Image
Peter Gethin and Lella Lombardi

Oulton Park 28 March 1975
Posted Image
Tony Dean - David Purley - Tom Walkinshaw - Dave Walker and Vern Schuppan
Posted Image
Peter Gethin
Posted Image
Teddy Pilette
Posted Image
Guy Edwards

..plus two of the Robinson M19C which have been posted before but which have disappeared. It looks rather more like brown in the second shot from 1975 - did he repaint it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#227 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:06

the Amon Talon (DNS and never seen again and, in any case, why was Amon suddenly in F5000?!), the only Arnoux appearance (and what's the story there, I wonder?) and so on!

Wasn't the Amon Talon really a Mc Rae GM2 , or I am mixing things up and talking complete rubbish ? this is purely from memory...

I can be more precise on the Arnoux question.

René had won the Magny-Cours Windfield racing school "Volant Shell" late in 1972 , the prize was a car and a budget to run in the 1973 Formule Renault Championship, which René duly won, beating very closely a certain Patrick Tambay who was himself the winner of the competitor "Volant Elf" from the Paul Ricard Winfield racing school.

The future then looked bright for René who was duly expecting a continuing support by Shell to move on to F3 , or why not directly F2 since F3 was in a bit of a derelict state in France at the time ( Indeed, at the same time Elf had confirmed their support of Tambay, despite him finishing "only" second to Arnoux in the Formule Renault championship, and promoted him directly to the F2 Elf team for 74. )

Alas, then comes december 73 , the Kippour War, the first oil crisis, and our prime minister of the time ending his speech on how the country was going to try and get through that crisis with all the fuel savings etc....by "and of course, all motorsport activities are suspended from now on " .

Elf didn't change anything to their program ( and rightly so since the ban on racing was lifted fairly soon afterwards ) but Shell france did and cancelled all their sponsorship programs. And Arnoux was left high and dry...

There was of course a lot of aggravation in the french racing press about the situation , and this is when Jabby Crombac used his closeness to Lotus to twist Colin Chapman's arm into signing a test driver contract for Arnoux which never materialised, unlike those signed at the same time with Crawford and Henton which did at least give them a couple of one-off F1 driving opportunities.

So finally, Shell came up with this "brilliant" idea of putting together this deal with Kitchener to run Arnoux in F5000 - which as we know came to nothing and collapsed very quickly .

As an aside, the future which by then was looking very bleek for Arnoux was then saved by François Guiter , Elf's racing activities manager, who despite of having his "stable" already pretty full with the likes of Tambay, Leclère, Cudini, Serpaggi or a young Pironi to name just a few, agreed to give René the opportunity to drive an Elf-2 in two late season F2 races in '74 . He showed well, and Guiter decided ( a little against the house policy, after all Arnoux was coming from the opposition and not a fully home bred Elf product ) to give him a budget to enter the new Formule Renault Europe champonship for 75 as a freelance Elf driver, separate from the official team of Pironi and Dallest. René won the championship, and from then on was on his paved way to F2 and F1 with Elf and Renault backing him .

Edited by philippe7, 27 June 2010 - 08:07.

#228 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,663 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:55

..plus two of the Robinson M19C which have been posted before but which have disappeared. It looks rather more like brown in the second shot from 1975 - did he repaint it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you are probably aware the 'brown' is mud! This is the main problem with a mainly grass paddock when it snows!

:wave:

#229 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:36

Wasn't the Amon Talon really a Mc Rae GM2 , or I am mixing things up and talking complete rubbish ? this is purely from memory...

Yes, McRae sold the rights of his GM2 design to American Jack McCormack, who built replicas under the Talon brandname

#230 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:40

Robinson's M19 was most definitely brown at some point, then maroon before or after. I remember it like yesterday.
See photos in post #175.

#231 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 17:29

Robinson's M19 was most definitely brown at some point, then maroon before or after. I remember it like yesterday.
See photos in post #175.

Been on forum before along time a go, this from Brands 1974.
Posted Image

#232 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 18:18

As you are probably aware the 'brown' is mud! This is the main problem with a mainly grass paddock when it snows!

I think it became brown before the "Shower of sh**e over Cheshire"!

#233 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:50

I think it became brown before the "Shower of sh**e over Cheshire"!

That's a Blaster from the past!

#234 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,221 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:32

#235 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:49

In TW's pic of Robin Smith above, is that the ex-Purley AIM racing Chevron B30 behind? Mike Wilds ran it on that occasion I think as a one-off. Shame it wasn't out more ofetn in '77, Wilds could have gone well in it I reckon.

#236 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:26

In TW's pic of Robin Smith above, is that the ex-Purley AIM racing Chevron B30 behind? Mike Wilds ran it on that occasion I think as a one-off. Shame it wasn't out more ofetn in '77, Wilds could have gone well in it I reckon.

The car was being driven by Evan Clements, realised I actually had a picture that I hadn't posted

Posted Image

#237 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:21

Found this T400 Lola pic of Richard Scott back in 1975,I have not seen this livery come up before in this mostly UK thread, it must have come an gone quickly. :wave:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 24 February 2011 - 09:22.

#238 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,221 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:15

This is the car that started the controversy with the BBC, who refused to cover any race it took part in unless the Durex logos were taped over. This of course led to them virtually ceasing to cover F1 the following year when Durex shifted their sponsorship to the Surtees F1 team. Richard Scott won the F5000 race at the 1975 International Trophy meeting, which led to the Autosport headline 'Scott comes good'.

Edited by Tim Murray, 24 February 2011 - 10:18.

#239 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,663 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:37

This is the car that started the controversy with the BBC, who refused to cover any race it took part in unless the Durex logos were taped over. This of course led to them virtually ceasing to cover F1 the following year when Durex shifted their sponsorship to the Surtees F1 team. Richard Scott won the F5000 race at the 1975 International Trophy meeting, which led to the Autosport headline 'Scott comes good'.

When the Durex-Lola made its first appearance at Oulton I remember the commentator saying "... and there goes Richard Scott in the Durex-Lola burning rubber."

The BBC were quiet ridiculous over the ban. Because they knew that Durex was a condom brand they got all prissy but missed Everest, who were sponsoring March F2 cars, and were also condom manufacturers.

Advertisement

#240 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,991 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:51

but missed Everest, who were sponsoring March F2 cars, and were also condom manufacturers.

And there was me thinking that it was the double glazing manufacturer! However, I was well aware what "Private" was, but I can't remember who they sponsored. I think it was a Swedish F3 team rather than a F5000 outfit.

Edited by Giraffe, 24 February 2011 - 11:58.

#241 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:19

I was well aware what "Private" was, but I can't remember who they sponsored. I think it was a Swedish F3 team rather than a F5000 outfit.

Was it Slim Borgudd ?

#242 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:51

Strange, 7 pages so far and not one photo of the Mark Donohue Lolas.

#243 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:22

The F1 version a bit further down the track.

Posted Image

#244 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:33

Hadn't heard about the Durex controversy.

Gee Whiz, you could show nakeds on Python.... but not show a product to protect you and her backstage.

And all over a material clearly seen on the tires! (Whoops, "tyres")

All in Good Fun, Folks.

#245 Prototype

Prototype

• 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:51

This is the link to my second F5000 film: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOjn2VQLKoA

Enjoy

#246 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,221 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:21

Hadn't heard about the Durex controversy.

Gee Whiz, you could show nakeds on Python.... but not show a product to protect you and her backstage.

And all over a material clearly seen on the tires! (Whoops, "tyres")

All in Good Fun, Folks.

In those days 'Auntie' BBC regularly got her knickers in a twist and decided our delicate sensibilities needed protecting. A number of pop records she considered too rude were banned, but not, strangely, Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side, apparently because Auntie didn't understand what 'giving head' meant.

#247 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:15

Posted Image

I always understood Durex to be 'head gaskets for hot-rods'. :cool:

#248 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:17

This is the link to my second F5000 film: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOjn2VQLKoA

Enjoy

I think this is the same Dummy Grid as the opening stanza of your film Prototype, it was the Sunday at Albert Park, so may not have been the same day.
Sure was a decent sized field though!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SJ Lambert, 25 February 2011 - 11:32.

#249 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:18

Strange, 7 pages so far and not one photo of the Mark Donohue Lolas.

I may be able to fix that shortly.......

#250 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 16:25

Posted Image