Photo

Formula 5000 - happy days!

• Please log in to reply
1182 replies to this topic

#301 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:09

I simply quoted a known fact.... find someone else in your schoolyard to insult.

A known fact-- in never land maybe.

Advertisement

#302 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:54

1: I know of a couple by Wolfgang Klopfer, one regarding European series', the other Australian and New Zealand series'. I know of none regarding US racing, which is a shame if I'm right.
2: I have a few pics of those cars, what is your interest?

My brother tries in the moment to build a DN6 from Yank Models. There are parts where he has no idea where they are supposed to go because the building directions are terrible.
I have a talk with him the next time I see him (might take some time). I think it's mostly the rear suspention.

#303 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:02

I totally disagree. It tells you absolutely nothing that you couldn't have learned from Autosport and/or Motoring News at the time.

In fact - as some have said - it is nothing more than a contrived re-write of those reports. I hate it.

And it even has a photo of a Formula Atlantic car on the back cover. Aaargh. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dude! I could not have learned anything from those magazines. I'm born 1970 and I'm german. Like I wrote before: I missed F5000 due to my age.
I would like to do some catch up here. I look for the story of F5000. No race report reprints and no statistics because that won't do anything for me.
I look for something that is compareable with Pete Lyons book about the Can-Am.

#304 tania34

tania34

• 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:40

[quote name='E1pix' date='Mar 1 2011, 07:35' post='4870710']
RA:

Thanks for the book info, I'll seek one out (unavailable on Amazon, may be out of print).

Yes, paper is an oft-underestimated part of printing.... I've had many of my images suffer from clients' saving a few pennies per copy.

If it is of any help I got the Australian, New Zealand version direct from Germany a couple of years ago.

#305 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:56

I received this e-mail from Wolfgang last summer.....

Dear Tony,

thanks for your e-mail.
My three books on F5000
in America, Europe and NZ/AUS
are still available from some
German booksellers:
www.buecher.de
www.buch24.de
www.buch.de
www.amazon.de

Regards

Wolfgang Klopfer

Also found this in my e-mails.............

Formula A and Formula 5000 in America: Race by Race
by Wolfgang Klopfer
published by the author (Books on Demand?)
121 pages of text

The bulk of the text (100 pages) is a year-by-year, race-by-race account of American F5000 from 1968-1976. The last ten pages are brief (one or two page) "as told by" articles on topics such as the Sid Taylor team, the Haas/Hall team (as told by Brian Redman), and the Eagle 735-765 cars.
There are two editions. A black and white one, which is 25 Euros, and one with 18 colour photos for 45 Euros. Air mail shipping is included in the price. Payment in Euros, or via Paypal using the email address below.
The book is available from the author:

Wolfgang Klopfer
Lessingstrasse 13
04600 Altenberg
Germany

email address: faracer_99@yahoo.com

Nice fellow. Responds to inquiries. If you email him, he will send jpg images of the covers and table of contents.

Edited by Giraffe, 01 March 2011 - 11:59.

#306 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,278 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:14

Originally posted by xj13v12
Tony Loxley and others are putting together a coffee table book on Australian F5000 racing. Judging by his Speedway books it will be a quality product but it is not a race by race history. There is commentary by many top F5000 racers. Contributers include Ray Bell and Max Stahl providing the bulk of the written words. Look for it later this year.

As the principal 'other', I have to say that I am very optimistic about the likely quality and content of the book...

Some contributions have come in from former drivers, there is more than a little revelation in what I've seen so far. The pictures to be used are largely unpublished photos being sourced from professionals as well as amateurs.

The plan is to have it all wrapped up by the end of May so that it can be released in, I believe, August. And Tony is going to resurrect the idea of 'Cocktails on the Causeway' for the launch, despite Fred Vogel's pleas for it to be launched at his shop.

Tania... I just know your part will be a great asset to the book and revealing to its readers, I'm really looking forward to getting that. I'm sure that anyone reading about the book here will be all the more educated when they see what you have to tell.

#307 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,626 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:41

My brother tries in the moment to build a DN6 from Yank Models. There are parts where he has no idea where they are supposed to go because the building directions are terrible.
I have a talk with him the next time I see him (might take some time). I think it's mostly the rear suspention.

I haven't started mine yet.

#308 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 18:38

As the principal 'other', I have to say that I am very optimistic about the likely quality and content of the book...

Ray:

This sounds very exciting, please keep us posted here.... we're a ready-made audience.... and Congratulations, and Best of Luck!

Whether the launch is at the causeway or shop.... drinks sell books.... though no grand revelation on that one!

#309 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 18:41

If it is of any help I got the Australian, New Zealand version direct from Germany a couple of years ago.

Thanks for that, I'll start looking!

#310 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 18:42

I haven't any photos of that car that would assist in modeling.

Haven't built a model in 35 years.... that one sounds great.

#311 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:48

I haven't started mine yet.

I haven't any photos of that car that would assist in modeling.

Haven't built a model in 35 years.... that one sounds great.

The model looks great on the photos I've seen. I would go for the ready build rather than build a kit.

#312 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 16:56

Re F-5000 in the US, as stated, Wolfgang Klopfer has put out two books on the subject. The second is a revision and expansion of the first, with a lot more photos. (Full disclosure; a lot of these are mine). Wolfgang covers each race in the series. The only drawback, and it is not Wolfgang's fault, is that the paper is of relatively poor quality, thus inhibiting proper reproduction of the photographs.

Tom

The Klopfer F5000 books on the European and Australian/New Zealand series should be on it's way by now, but haven't located the updated American book. As I'm mainly looking for race reports, would I feel the difference betwin the original edition and the updated version? For results Allen Brown's excellent Oldracingcars.com is my favorite and thankfully online again!

Another question from my behalf is how you rate the efforts of Dane Tom Belsø in the European series from 1973-onwards? He was a saloon car ase back home in Denmark in the second half of the 1960s, before switching to single seaters for 1970 with Formula Ford. He would then move on to FAtlantic and F2 before landing a seat with the ShellSport Radio Luxembourg Lola team for 1973. I think he was a privateer from 1974, mixing his F5000 racing with his eight attempts of official F1 GP races during 1973-74. By this time he had moved to England (I think he did so around 1971) and his career more or less fizzled out with the F5000 series and cars, while he had begun his breakfast cereal business

Jesper

#313 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 17:05

Another question from my behalf is how you rate the efforts of Dane Tom Belsø in the European series from 1973-onwards? By this time he had moved to England (I think he did so around 1971) and his career more or less fizzled out with the F5000 series and cars, while he had begun his breakfast cereal business

IIRC MSV / HSCC tried to track Tom down for it's 40th Anniversary reunion at Oulton Park in 2010 but couldn't find him.

#314 rateus

rateus

• 205 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 18:06

As I'm mainly looking for race reports, would I feel the difference betwin the original edition and the updated version?

Short answer - no. The only difference with the updated version is the addition of a report on the 1971 Questor GP.

#315 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 19:13

Short answer - no. The only difference with the updated version is the addition of a report on the 1971 Questor GP.

Thank you for the reply. I will try to locate one or the other version.

Jesper

#316 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:59

Thank you for the reply. I will try to locate one or the other version.

Jesper

Hi Jesper

Tom was certainly one of the top F5000 racers from the early 70s in the UK and was competitive with The majority of the performers in 1973, and 1974 when he was part of the Radio Luxembourg /Shell team with Gijs Van Lennep and Lella Lombardi.

#317 bill p

bill p

• 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:48

Hi Jesper

Tom was certainly one of the top F5000 racers from the early 70s in the UK and was competitive with The majority of the performers in 1973, and 1974 when he was part of the Radio Luxembourg /Shell team with Gijs Van Lennep and Lella Lombardi.

Team sticker

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#318 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 611 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:46

Earlier on this thread reference was made to the lack of success of Ford engines in the formula. Following is an early example of a Ford-engined car, the Forsgrini-Ford run in the 1970 Tasman Series by Mike Campbell, which could not be described as a success.

Posted Image
free image hosting

Posted Image
adult image hosting

Campbell's was a shoestring operation, he and his wife stayed in camping grounds mostly, and although constructor Lyle Forsgren attended 2 of the Australian rounds, the uphill struggle with a variety of problems netted them only one points-scoring result, 6th at Wigram. There is more information on Forsgrini cars on the "Personal Photos from the Paddock" thread, pages 32-33.

#319 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,322 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:56

Posted Image..I found some old cloth badges from SurteesF1.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#320 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:57

Your aunty didn't like it! ("Aunty" is what the BBC is affectionately referred to as in many quarters here in GB).

Edited by Giraffe, 07 March 2011 - 11:58.

#321 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,322 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:57

CORRECT :up: ...Giraffe.
We call the ABC the same name out here.

Edited by eldougo, 08 March 2011 - 07:57.

#322 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 661 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:22

I've finally gotten around to adding some of my F5000 pics. Eventually there will be a few more. Unfortunately I went to only three F5000 races before the series died.

http://www.flickr.co...57626135973193/

All my sets.....

http://www.flickr.co...81980@N03/sets/

#323 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:20

I've finally gotten around to adding some of my F5000 pics. Eventually there will be a few more. Unfortunately I went to only three F5000 races before the series died.

Worth waiting for, as always, Marc. Looking forward to the next instalment.

#324 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:45

Great pictures. I wish they were bigger. :wave:
Does that Shadow from '75 have the radiators behind the front wheels? I never saw that configuration before. I also thought they raced '76/'77.

#325 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,434 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 14:38

Does that Shadow from '75 have the radiators behind the front wheels? I never saw that configuration before. I also thought they raced '76/'77.

I saw the Shadow DN6 F-5000 cars run four times in 1975-76. At each event they had the rads in side pods just in front of the rear wheels. Never heard of them having rads behind the front wheels, but then again that could have happened in practice somewhere.

See John's post #294 for the radiator placement in period.

F-5000 ended in 1976. Thus, the DN6 F-5000 cars ran in 1975-76. Plus, a DN6 was given an envelope body and ran the last two or three races of 1977 in the Son of Can Am series, driven by Alan Jones.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 14 March 2011 - 14:41.

#326 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 661 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 15:40

Great pictures. I wish they were bigger. :wave:

Thank you. I keep the images relatively small as it is less tempting for the less-than-honorable types to nick them.

However, if you have a large enough bank account I can provide prints up to roughly 4' by 8'.

:)

Edited by Marc Sproule, 15 March 2011 - 05:32.

#327 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,278 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:17

Just for a bit of perspective...

When did F5000 (or FA) end in the US and Canada? And in the UK and Europe?

And when did the 'son of Can-Am' come to grief?

F5000 ran in Australia until 1981... around mid-year... and I think it was no longer (very) active in NZ after 1975.

#328 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:21

Just for a bit of perspective...

When did F5000 (or FA) end in the US and Canada? And in the UK and Europe?

And when did the 'son of Can-Am' come to grief?

F5000 ran in Australia until 1981... around mid-year... and I think it was no longer (very) active in NZ after 1975.

Ray:

The end of Pro F5000 in the US came after the 1976 season.

The end of the Can-Am "2" was after the 1985 season, it's last champion being Rick Miaskiewicz in the ex-Jacques Villeneuve, Canadian Tire car (wearing graphics done by myself).

#329 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:28

Actually, Son of Can Am labored on through one last dismal season in 1986. Horst Kroll was the season champion in a Frisbee. A 17 year old Paul Tracy won a round at Mosport in one of Kroll's Frisbees.
Tom

#330 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:43

Actually, Son of Can Am labored on through one last dismal season in 1986. Horst Kroll was the season champion in a Frisbee. A 17 year old Paul Tracy won a round at Mosport in one of Kroll's Frisbees.
Tom

Corrected.

#331 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:09

I saw the Shadow DN6 F-5000 cars run four times in 1975-76. At each event they had the rads in side pods just in front of the rear wheels. Never heard of them having rads behind the front wheels, but then again that could have happened in practice somewhere.

See John's post #294 for the radiator placement in period.

F-5000 ended in 1976. Thus, the DN6 F-5000 cars ran in 1975-76. Plus, a DN6 was given an envelope body and ran the last two or three races of 1977 in the Son of Can Am series, driven by Alan Jones.

Tom

Check the first link in post #325 and you will see that strange layout.
I don't really know why I thought that F5000 was still going in the US in '77. Maybe I saw a mislabled model kit somewhere.

Thank you. I keep the images relatively small as it is less tempting for the less-than-honorable types to nick them.

However, if you have a large enough bank account I can provide prints up to roughly 4' by 8'.

:)

The problem is not the size of my account but transfering money to somebody elses account outside Germany. I don't believe in plastic money.;)

#332 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 14:15

Check the first link in post #325 and you will see that strange layout.

Yes, I see what you mean. First time I ever saw that set up. I suspect that it may have been used there and nowhere else, possibly because it didn't work. I have never seen that, either in person or in photos. Interesting indeed.
Tom

#333 Jagracer

Jagracer

• 50 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 15:32

As you are probably aware the 'brown' is mud! This is the main problem with a mainly grass paddock when it snows!

:wave:

I tell you exactly what the colour was in the top picture, it was red, the reason I know is because the Mechanic in the background bending over is me (Phil Bradford) I was with Brian for all of that season & was head hunted at the end of that season by Tony Kitchiner to build the M19 McClaren for Rene Arnoux & if anyone wants to know the full story of what happened to the team please feel free to contact me
After I left Brian the car got a new front & was painted Ford Roman Bronze Hope that clears it all up re the colours etc.

#334 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 15:39

.. the Robinson M19C . It looks rather more like brown - did he repaint it?
Posted Image

There you are Phil! :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 15 March 2011 - 15:41.

#335 Jagracer

Jagracer

• 50 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 15:52

There you are Phil! :up:

Yep that's me Thanks Girraffe If you take a look at the Tony Kitchiner story in this Forum you will see more of me with Tony & Rene Arnoux Phil Bradford

P.S. The Engines that Brian Robinson & tony Dean used were the Morand ones built in Switzerland & gave around 535 BHP fantastic performance. I had the privilege of going to pick up one of our Engines from the Morand Works & was given a full tour of the factory & all I can say is WOW Phil

#336 richie

richie

• 413 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 21:32

I tell you exactly what the colour was in the top picture, it was red, the reason I know is because the Mechanic in the background bending over is me (Phil Bradford) I was with Brian for all of that season & was head hunted at the end of that season by Tony Kitchiner to build the M19 McClaren for Rene Arnoux & if anyone wants to know the full story of what happened to the team please feel free to contact me
After I left Brian the car got a new front & was painted Ford Roman Bronze Hope that clears it all up re the colours etc.

Don't happen to know what happened to Tony Kitchiner do you, where is he now? It remains a mystery.

#337 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 661 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 21:40

The problem is not the size of my account but transfering money to somebody elses account outside Germany. I don't believe in plastic money.;)

Not a problem at all. You can wire the money to me electronically. Let me know how much money you have and I will let you know how many prints you can afford.

Yours in greed,

ms

#338 FLB

FLB

• 1,930 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 16:19

I have no idea whether it's accurate or not, but Jalopnik is offering a free wallpaper of what they claim is the business end of an F5000 Eagle:

http://ca.jalopnik.c...re#viewcomments

#339 KeithSeume

KeithSeume

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 17:07

Don't know if this is of any interest, this is me driving Geoff Thomas's Lola T300 at a Goodwood test day sometime in the late ’90s. I believe the car was the ex-Brett Lunger (Haga Slacks sponsored?) car and is now in the USA? I must ask Geoff sometime.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#340 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,434 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 17:17

Don't know if this is of any interest, this is me driving Geoff Thomas's Lola T300 at a Goodwood test day sometime in the late ’90s. I believe the car was the ex-Brett Lunger (Haga Slacks sponsored?) car and is now in the USA? I must ask Geoff sometime.

According to Old Racing Cars, this appears to be Lola T-300 s/n HU 10. It was a Hogan Racing Team car in 1972, sponsored by Haggar (not Haga) Slacks. The car was driven by David Hobbs that season, while Lunger drove a different T-300 for Hogan. It apparently was owned by Geoff Thomas in the years 1986-2001. Current ownership is indicated to be Nick SHrigley-Feigl, and the car is in the UK.
Tom

#341 KeithSeume

KeithSeume

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 18:32

Thanks for the info! :)

#342 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 611 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:42

I have no idea whether it's accurate or not, but Jalopnik is offering a free wallpaper of what they claim is the business end of an F5000 Eagle:

Could be any old pipe, I guess, but here's what the pointy end of Bill Simpson's F5000 Eagle looked like at Pukekohe January 1970.
Posted Image

#343 richie

richie

• 413 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 21:51

A few scrappy examples from the rejects drawer which I haven't posted before because of their indifferent sharpness or exposure but which may be of interest to F5000 afficionados:
Mallory Park 13 October 1974
Posted Image
Ian Ashley and Guy Edwards lead away from the front row of the grid
Posted Image
Peter Gethin and Lella Lombardi

Oulton Park 28 March 1975
Posted Image
Tony Dean - David Purley - Tom Walkinshaw - Dave Walker and Vern Schuppan
Posted Image
Peter Gethin
Posted Image
Teddy Pilette
Posted Image
Guy Edwards

..plus two of the Robinson M19C which have been posted before but which have disappeared. It looks rather more like brown in the second shot from 1975 - did he repaint it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tim Close Engineering from Ramsey Cambridgeshire prepared engines for some of the midfield runners, including, I think- Brian Robinson. Anyone know what became of the outfit?

#344 richie

richie

• 413 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:28

IIRC MSV / HSCC tried to track Tom down for it's 40th Anniversary reunion at Oulton Park in 2010 but couldn't find him.

I've located Tom Belso today. What F5000 drivers & cars are going to Oulton Park Gold Cup this year- another drivers re-union in August?

#345 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:44

Looks as though August may not be the only occasion this year when F5000s make an appearance at Oulton, richie - as posted on the Historic Race Meetings thread:

Fans of big bangers will be interested to learn that up to 10 F5000 cars from New Zealand are scheduled to make the trip to the UK this summer for the Brands Superprix, and, according to Motorsport News, Frank Lyons is hoping to arrange a couple of extra races for them at the June 26 Oulton Park CSCC meeting the week before Brands.

#346 richie

richie

• 413 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 18:09

Looks as though August may not be the only occasion this year when F5000s make an appearance at Oulton, richie - as posted on the Historic Race Meetings thread:

What I was thinking of was asking Tom to come along to meet other ex F5000 drivers of his era. Which would be the best meeting for that?

#347 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,136 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:24

Some variable pics from the Thruxton round of the Guards F5000 Championship in August 1970 - I think this is Heat 2 but the notes are rather hazy ...

Davey Powell in the Doug Hardwick Lola T142 on the grid

Posted Image

Lingard Goulding left high and dry after last-minute works to cure an oil leak oin the Beattie P1100 took too long:

Posted Image

They're off - Peter Gethin gets the power down:

Posted Image

Peter Gethin too fast for my panning ...

Posted Image

Likewise Davey Powell

Posted Image

Frank Gardner leads Peter Gethin:

Posted Image

Howden Ganley at the chicane:

Posted Image

Bob Miller in the distinctive Dulon:

Posted Image

Edited by Odseybod, 04 April 2011 - 11:17.

#348 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:45

Great shots from the early era :up:

#349 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,663 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:00

Mike Hailwood on the grid

Posted Image

Mike Hailwood raced the Jackie Epstein Lola T190 #3. This is Davey Powell in the Doug Hardwick Lola T142.

Edit: The driver of #31 waving his arms is Lingard Goulding in the Beattie P1100

Edited by Tim Murray, 04 April 2011 - 09:05.

#350 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,923 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:15

Some variable pics from the Thruxton round of the Guards F5000 Championship in August 1970 - I think this is Heat 2 but the notes are rather hazy ...

Alan Rollinson (?) left high and dry after last-minute works took too long:

Posted Image

That's Dublin's Lingard Goulding in his Beattie P1100, a car based on what was left of the ex-Hailwood Lola T142 (SL142/40) he had crashed at Castle Combe earlier in the year. Thruxton was only its second outing, it's first having been a libre race at Mondello Park the preceding weekend. The Beattie was then crashed at Mallory Park 4 Jul 1971 and I don't know what became of it.

I don't yet have a page on the Beattie on OldRacingCars.com which is an oversight. Tony, may I use this picture?