:o :o :o

:up: Who do you think will be the next first-time World Champion? :up:

A.
Dr Jekyll,;) the historian ;), would WANT:

1. Coulthard
{I am assuming Mika retires after this season}

2. Trulli

3. Schumacher The Younger
Besides no longer being 'just' Michael's kid brother, my sisters-in-law in Cusco, Perú think Ralf is the resident hunk in F1. They may change their opinion when she sees his new teammate for next year. . . ;) He and Mika both were class acts yesterday at the press conference, but, then again, they both always were.

4. Fisichella
{He is starting to imply - Luca di does this --> :rolleyes: when he hears this - that he will probably go to Ferrari if Renault are not competitive right 'out of the box' [They will be though]. But, hey: what do I know :rolleyes: I was the genius who predicted Montoya would enter F1 in 2002 with Toyota :rolleyes: and that Audi would enter F1 after blowing the field into the weeds at LeMans this year. So I am really on a roll, right?;) }

5. Barrichello
{But probably only if Michael retires after 2001. After Hockenheim - and after Michael's {and Mika's experiences yesterday - When - not if - this finally does happen, I am sure there won't be a dry eye south of the Caribbean. :D But that's okay: I saw Jackie Stewart at Watkins Glen minutes after Francois Cevert went west. These guys really are human.}

B.
Mr Hyde, :o the Lapsed Tifosi :o {and future :up: 'Montoyero' :up:}, would WANT:

1. Barrichello
{Whether Michael retires next year or not, I still think Rubens will be a short-timer at Ferrari. Look for Fisichella to go there before 2004.

2. Schumacher The Younger
{:confused: Question for Lord Max and Baron Bernard:
When Ralf does win his titles, does this mean Frau und Herr Schumacher get a special - uhhh ;) Champions 'Constructors' Cup ??? I should think they deserve one ;) }

3. Montoya
Yeah, yeah, I do remember what a bust-out Zanardi was at Williams last year. But, frankly, Alex underwhelmed me the first time he drove in F1, although you do have to allow for those even more underwhelming cars he was driving back then. But, even when he was dominating CART, most truly objective observers - including both of our - uhh :mad: 'UndeServing American' {USA!!!;) }world champions - said of him what is so frequently - and rather unfairly - said of Mika: it is the car under the driver - or, rather, the designer in back of the car- and not the driver in the car that is getting it done.

And, truth be known, know what? If Montoya had been in CART in 1998 he would have done the same thing over here that he did in 1999, probably would have landed an F1 drive with Williams for 1999 and we would not be having this particular conversation right now. For the record :o :If this guy is not the next Senna - well, at least, the next Piquet or Lauda -, I will retire to NASCAR. :up:

4. Button
'Jenny' -;) - is critical to the attractiveness of F1 to the next generation of die-hard F1 fans. As a Lapsed Tifosi, I would love to see him go to Ferrari just long enough to win a title there, which - wouldn't you Brits agree??? - would sort of complete Mansell's unfinished agenda there. I am starting to meet kids - literally - who know only one name in motorsports: Button. Sir Frank might well have just guaranteed the next generation of F1.

So. What do you think? Name your own Top Five hit parade, or tell me what is ridiculous about mine.

Harald
Washington DC [after yesterday, we really have a Wailing Wall at Ferrari :)!!!]
USA

Advertisement

#2 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 14:32

Originally posted by Harald
2. Schumacher The Younger
{:confused: Question for Lord Max and Baron Bernard:
When Ralf does win his titles, does this mean Frau und Herr Schumacher get a special - uhhh ;) Champions 'Constructors' Cup ??? I should think they deserve one ;) }

Dammit! Why didn't I think up that one! :)

#3 Lamont

Lamont

• 1,221 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 15:59

1. Ralf Schumacher
2. Jarno Trulli

#4 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,756 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 16:10

I would think it would be between Ralf and Trulli, but really it depends on the car. A lot of F1 greats are the result of lucky/fortunate decisions. If Alesi had picked Williams instead of Ferrari years ago, he'd probably be a three-time world champion, Arrows would have been the best car Damon Hill ever drove and Jacques Villeneuve probably would have scurried on back to CART ala Andretti.

#5 coyoteBR

coyoteBR

• 4,085 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 18:25

1 - Alesi
2 - Irvine
3 - Mazacane
4 - Erja Hakkinen
5 - Michael Andretti

huh... maybe not

#6 cupra

cupra

• 251 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 18:44

Juan Pablo!!

#7 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 21:24

Häkkinen WDC: 2000-2009 -> then will retire?
New WDC: Kimi Räikkönen!!!

;)

#8 Harald

Harald

• 489 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 21:49

:D Hey Cupra!!! :D

Agreed on Juan Pablo. We need to start working on the definitive Juan Pablo Montoya F1 web site. ;)

There is a lot of work to do. Because Juan Pablo will 'hit' F1 next spring with the ghost of Alex Zanardi riding in that BMW-Williams with him. :o A lot of F1 cognescenti already have the guy halfway back across the Atlantic and returning to CART. :(

A propósito, ¿habla Ud.? castellano :confused:

Harald
Washington DC
USA

#9 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 21:58

I would say that DC and HHF have very good chances of being the next, Trulli and Panis could be dark horses as well. Depends on the car, and how the season plays out. I hope that this crash doesn't ruin HHF, he showed that he can be a great racer in '99.

Please note that I'm picking cars, as well as drivers. Williams boys will have a chance, but I find it hard to believe that Renault will get their act together before everyone else.

ggg

#10 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 22:30

Tifosi : Imagine if Hill had taken up the offer of replacing Coulthard at McLaren in 97. He would be 3 times world champ challenging for his fourth.

Niall

Oh yea . Fisi will be the next new champ as that Benetton will be blistering next year.

#11 selena

selena

• 2,782 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 22:59

Nobody else is going to be champion as long as Hakkinen and Michael are around. When they have retired, Ralf Schumacher will probably be champion.

#12 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 23:01

Ralf will be in for a shot.
Jacques and Panis could also be there.

#13 HappyDude

HappyDude

• 1,682 posts

Posted 11 September 2000 - 23:57

Ralph. Shouldn't this thread have been a poll? Oh wait, then nobody would bother to read it. Carry on...

#14 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 00:01

HappyDude, it's funny...because it's true (another obscure Homer reference, just like your name).

I really don't read polls, most threads lack a real discussion, polls are even worse.

ggg

#15 tak

tak

• 354 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 02:02

I'll agree that the likely candidates are Truli, Fisichella, Button, and Ralf. (I don't include Montoya because 1-he doesn't know all the tracks, and 2- there is more quality competition than 96 when JV almost did it).

The real question is who will come good first: Honda, Renault, or BMW.

If Panis were not driving for team JV, I would include him in the list also.

My nod goes to Ralf. JB has demonstrated great speed and racecraft this year, yet at the checker, it's Ralf out front. He's driving very smart these days.

Second up is Truli--Honda will come good. Can Jordan?

3rd up is Button. I think he'll outrace Fisi, and if Renault really does have something special, watch out!

#16 Dsilence

Dsilence

• 1,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 05:05

WDC / Mika Salo / Toyota / 2002

#17 MediocreDriversWinWCs

MediocreDriversWinWCs

• 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 10:08

1. Ralf S. - good driver no longer trying to drive the **** out of the car , Michelin to come in next year and beat the pants off Bridgestone and a beautiful BMW engine next year.

2. Jarno Trulli - mentally tougher than his faster teammate HHF , good driver , Egbald Hamidy to design a searingly fast car , coupled with a sparkling Honda engine and there's a real WDC prospect.

3. Whoever replaces MH. Could well be Heidfeld.

#18 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 10:58

I think that Trulli is faster than HHF, As for the mental toughness, dunno???

Why would Michelin be ahead of Bridgestone next year, I don't see it happening.

#19 MediocreDriversWinWCs

MediocreDriversWinWCs

• 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 11:32

Hi Nick ,
My rationale is that HHF was extremely quick last year in an underpowered and even by EJ's admission indifferent car. Jarno is good , no question , but he has never (up until the present season) attracted rumours like HHF's "faster than Schumacher" tag which he had when he first came into F1. He was totally destroyed by Patrick Head and JV when he came in and seems to require a very gentle approach from his team.
As to Michelin , well you remember what Bridgestone did to Goodyear back in 1998 , well , it's my suspicion that Michelin are not returning to F1 to be also ran's and something similar will happen . Bridgestone do not seem to be perfroming as well as they did in the past - blistering and marbling were not two words one would have associated with the company back in 1998 , so I think they've just become a little bit complacent.
Finally most of the above is just speculation , it could well be that the status quo will remain next year once again , but I think that it would take scenarios as I've outlined in the first post to produce a new WDC.

Advertisement

#20 BT52

BT52

• 89 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 11:34

Originally posted by Ali_G
Tifosi : Imagine if Hill had taken up the offer of replacing Coulthard at McLaren in 97. He would be 3 times world champ challenging for his fourth.

Niall

Oh yea . Fisi will be the next new champ as that Benetton will be blistering next year.

Have you read Damon's book??
One of the reasons he didn't go there was that Mika was whole seconds per lap faster than Damon in the McLaren

#21 Greyhound

Greyhound

• 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 17:57

I don´t know if he´s going to be next, but he´ll win it one day - Jenson Button.

#22 cupra

cupra

• 251 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 20:17

Hey Harald!!

I guess next year we're going to have to have a Champion's worth homepage for JPM!

#23 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 12 September 2000 - 23:23

Jarno Trulli, first Italian WDC since Alberto Ascari.