Photo

Trophies and prizes of racing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:37

Did a search and this subject never came up.

Indy has the Borg-Warner and the milk while certain tracks add their flare of prizes along trophy to the winners. Here are the few:

Nashville = guitar
Martinsville = grandfather clock
Texas Motor Speedway = shotgun

What tracks and past events add their flare along with winner trophies?

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:23

Australian GP - replicas of Jack Brabham's steering wheel - NICE!

:wave:

#3 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 13:30

Only a one time event but this monster needs to be included.

Bottom of page!

The Marlboro Trophy

http://www.historicm...aceprogram.html

Last seen at the museum in Darlington, SC but has now disappeared.

Henry

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 22:29

Reims is the centre of the champagne-producing region. They awarded 100 bottles of champagne for fastest practice lap and for the leaders at quarter, half and three quarter distance as well as the finish.

They may have introduced champagne for the winners, but I suspect not.

#5 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:37

Bruce McLaren won this at the 1962 AGP:

Posted Image

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:28

Trophies from San Marino in recent years (those sponsored by Marlboro) the prizes were silver replica steering wheels. All those at the McLaren factory were taken down when Ron Denis found out they were replicas of Ferrari steering wheels!

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 15:30

Originally posted by f1steveuk
Trophies from San Marino in recent years (those sponsored by Marlboro) the prizes were silver replica steering wheels. All those at the McLaren factory were taken down when Ron Denis found out they were replicas of Ferrari steering wheels!

Note to self: remember to write to Ron Dennis and ask for one of those Ferrari steering wheel replica trophies seeing as they are not wanted by McLaren buggies!

:lol:

#8 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 14:01

Wasn't McLaren awarded a plot of land in Florida for winning the US GP?

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 14:25

I'm sure I've seen a picture (and/or a description) of a trophy which had a separate element that was essentially unattached, but was levitated above the body of the trophy, presumably by repelling magnets, and tethered on fine threads to stop it flying off. Or something like that. I have a feeling it may have been a CanAm trophy, but I really can't remember.

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 14:39

Alan Jones was given a shetland pony as well as a cup and a bucketful of Francs when he won the 1980 French GP - or so I have been led to believe.

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 17:56

Giant sausages were part of the prize at the GP de Picardie (and possibly elsewhere?).

#12 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 18:41

NASCAR and short track oval racing have a good history of unique trophies/awards.

A few NASCAR events had trophies that were made in the outline of the state and in wood native to the area.

Dogwood 500 - Modified and Sportsman races featured trophies made of dogwood (what else?).

I forget what wood, but trophies at Rockingham were in the shape of North Carolina and made from a native wood.

Trophies for the annual Cotton Classic at Kings Speedway, Hanford, California - were small gold bales of cotton (what else?).

The Milk Bowl race at Thunder Road in Vermont has a unique tradition. The winning driver kisses a cow!

And don't forget the over the top siliness at the annual King's Royal Sprint Car race at Eldora Speedway where the driver is crowned, caped, given a scepter and is place on a throne. Some of the drivers look so embarassed when doing this.

I'm in favor of uniqueness in trophies. Why the sameness? (gee, a plate. Wow, a trophy with a car on top of it) I recall a feature on one of the prominent NASCAR drivers of the 60's/70's (it escapes me at the moment who it was). In showing his trophy case, the driver mentioned he had so many trophies that were the same that he'd gotten rid of any that didn't have special signifigance or were unique. I noticed the Rockingham trophies I described were among those he'd kept. The unique ones mean more to the driver as well.

#13 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 18:53

The Revere Bowls presented at Watkins Glen when it hosted the USGP are still among the classic trophies in any series or class as far as I am concerned.

I think that those presented at Rockingham were of yellow pine, which is both plentiful in that area and a staple for use in the NC furniture factories; however, not having seen one of the Rockingham trophies mentioned in some (too many) years, that is a supposition.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,932 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:10

The Gordon Bennett trophy was a magnificent piece of sculpture.

#15 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:43

The "Helmet" trophies presented by NASCAR were unique and different.

Bottom and middle of page: http://www.historicm...ldFountain.html

Henry

#16 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:41

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Giant sausages...

Cheeses were presented at Bremgarten GPs during the 1950s.

This is, I imagine, a pretty rare artifact of the trophy kind;

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's the one presented to Charlie Crichton-Stuart for his second place in the final of the last round of the 1966 Temporada at Mar del Plata, where he was pipped for the win by just 1/10th sec. in his Stirling Moss (SMART) BT10.

Legend has it that it subsequently served time as a set of stumps in the abode of Frank Williams, C C-S & co...

(I'm considering moving it on; anyone interested please PM me.)

#17 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:02

Originally posted by 2F-001
I'm sure I've seen a picture (and/or a description) of a trophy which had a separate element that was essentially unattached, but was levitated above the body of the trophy, presumably by repelling magnets, and tethered on fine threads to stop it flying off. Or something like that. I have a feeling it may have been a CanAm trophy, but I really can't remember.

The "floatile" was an original sculpture that actually hovered in space (it was held down by tiny nylon wires). It was presented by the Johnson Wax Company of Racine, Wis to the winner of the $300,000.00 Can-Am Challenge Cup series of six races held in the fall of 1966. It was designed by Venezuelan sculptor Alberto Collie and made from magnesium & aluminium and the floating was achieved by the use of large ceramic magnets in the black base.

:wave:

#18 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 00:11

In 1972 John Morton won the Riverside round of the SCCA 2.5 Trans-Am Challenge in his BRE Datsun 510. The SCCA, well known for their ineptitude promoting professional races, neglected to buy trophies for the race. In lieu of a trophy, the Race Steward at Riverside awarded Morton his prized fishing hat for the win.

Cheers,
Kurt

#19 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:11

One of the Tijuana races featured an exceptional effort by a young Mexican man who invested time, money, and energy to an extent nearing fanaticism. During the race his car suffered a punctured tire, ending the venture not with a bang, but a flop-flop-flop.

At the next Tijuana Auto Sport Club dinner he was awarded the Golden Taco: a bent tortilla, painted gilt, with a 16-penny nail through it, mounted on a nice plaque.

Sorry, no picture, but it was an inspired and well-made tribute.

--
Frank S

Advertisement

#20 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 13:02

Spotted this one at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart. Description says it all, I can only add that it's really HUGE!

Posted Image Posted Image

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 13:12

Has anyone ever stood next to the Schneider Trophy. It is HUGE!!! I believe it was Stainforth who having won the trophy for all time for Great Britain, was the only man allowed to hang his hat on it!!

#22 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 13:43

Originally posted by D-Type
Reims is the centre of the champagne-producing region. They awarded 100 bottles of champagne for fastest practice lap and for the leaders at quarter, half and three quarter distance as well as the finish.

Wasn't that the prize as well for the pole sitter of the British GP in the eighties...

Originally posted by Twin Window
Cheeses were presented at Bremgarten GPs during the 1950s.

I recall too a 100 cheeses for the pole sitter of the Dutch GP

And Piaggio, didn't they give a number of Vespa's to the Italian GP pole man?

#23 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 22:55

Race sponsor Crown Royal added a crown to the top of the trophy at yesterday's Richmond race.

#24 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 23:55

Originally posted by .ru
Spotted this one at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart. Description says it all, I can only add that it's really HUGE!

Posted Image Posted Image

In Belgium, I have a similar trophy for the 1910 Prinz-Heinrich-Fahrt my great-grand father, Theodore Pilette, got for winning the 7th place. The thing is big and heavy, it represents a man shooting an arrow. I would say the statue is 1m tall.
I thought I had a picture of it and posted it before on TNF but apparently not! I'm going thru my emails and back-up CDs to see if I find it.

#25 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:02

Posted Image
Here is the trophy I'm talking about. Not a great picture, sorry about that :

#26 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:05

Pictures from Ferrari Factory visit 10th Spetember 1979

Posted Image

During the visit the winning trophies from the previous weekend's Italian Grand Prix and Monza were put on display for the workforce in the factory

Posted Image

The trophies presented these days would not fit on the window sill anymore!

(Pictures from Simon Ford)

#27 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08

When Marvel Gallentine finished 16th in the modified race at the Daytona Beach course on the 2nd of March, 1941, he won 3 pairs of socks, according to reports in the "Daytona Beach Morning Journal".

William P Lazarus, "The Sands of Time: A Century of Racing in Daytona Beach", Sports Publishing LLC, 2004, p. 105