Photo

My Auto Union D type Sculpture

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wheelock

wheelock

• 74 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 19:43

I thought my fellow AU enthusiasts would enjoy looking at my latest creation.
It represents Tazio at the wheel during 1938 at Donington .

I can't make my mind up whether I prefer the colour version or bronze finish.

Mark

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 19:46

Marc to Mark......................absolutely stunning !!!!

My personal choice is the coloured one

Edit: Of the above shots I also like the rear view more. I think a front shot of the left side with Nuvolari looking at the lens would be even greater !!

#3 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 21:02

Agreed, i like the colour one too, but the non coloured has a good sense of speed to it somehow.
Either way, fantastic work.!!

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 21:21

I vote for the bronze, but it's a close call.

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 00:19

Marvelous!

#6 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 00:32

Very nice Typ 1938, by the way..... Have to agree that both versions look grand, like the bronze but the color version is splendid as well...

#7 AU1000S

AU1000S

• 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:37

Posted Image

Love your work..I made mine a little larger..Phil Friday

#8 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:24

Originally posted by AU1000S
Posted Image

Love your work..I made mine a little larger..Phil Friday

That requires an explanation please.

#9 AU1000S

AU1000S

• 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:09

Check out post #56 of the 'Bernie's Auto Union' thread which you can find in a search of my (AU1000S) posts. The story is too long to type twice........never mind... I can copy and paste with these new fangled machines.

How do I keep a long story short?? I grew up in France in the 50's and 60's and my Dad had Bugatti's. Not a bad introduction to the beauty of machinery. My brother, 10 yrs. my senior, had a 1958 DKW 3=6.
As an adult I have always cringed at Bugatti type 35 replicas built on VW running gear. It seems somehow blasphemous. In 1973 I needed a car and lo and behold what is in the newspaper the day I picked it up but a 1963 Auto Union 1000S (aka DKW). I of course bought it and drove it for a couple of years until it needed some major brake repair and I needed other transportation for my motorcycle roadracing habit. I did keep the car.
Fast forward to 1999 and Auto Union at the Laguna Seca Monterey Historics. I had, for the first time, a house with a big garage. It's time to restore my 1000S but the body has deteriorated badly. It was more attractive than a VW to begin with but was never a stunning design so I decided to scrap it and build a sports car body on the restored chassis. Then the light bulb came on..!!!... how about an Auto Union replica on an Auto Union Chassis !!!! The rest is history.
I pieced it together from scratch in about 3 or 4 years. I liked the type C/D hillclimb car with the dualies (even though my car is fwd)...it's the look you know. I had to modify the engine a little of course so now it is a fun 1000cc 3cyl. 2-stroke with matched ports, a dual side draft 28mm Mikuni from a Suzuki outboard (I'm a Suzuki dealer) and 6 volt electronic ignition from a model airplane. It's quick, it sounds fabulous and literally stops traffic when I drive it around. Now I want to make a small Type D replica with twin KZ1300 kawasaki 6 cyl. motors to get that 12 cyl. sound....maybe some day !!!!

Cheers to all.. Phil Friday
Posted Image

#10 wheelock

wheelock

• 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:12

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I will probably make them available in both finishes.
If anyone is interested in having one drop me a pm.

Phil, yeah, tis a bit bigger.
I like the idea of a big stroker power unit, mmmm, nice!
Whilst making my little one and studying photos etc, I really fell in love with the beast I like the D
equally to the c now,well hell I like em all really.
I have spent many hours pondering the little tweaks I would need to give the car to make a road going sunday afternoon hooligan vehicle. :eek:
Nice too see some one has done the dirty deed...

Mark

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 14:31

Phil, I think that is a distinct improvement on the 'miniature T-Bird' styling of the 1000S. :up:

Have you considered other ways to get a 12 cylinder sound? How about fitting a small V8 (Buick, Rover or Range Rover) in the front and a VW engine and power train in the rear. You would then also be paying tribute to Dr Porsche. And if you could work out how to combine 3 cylinders of DKW, 5 cylinders of Audi and 4 cylinders of VW you could be even more authentic.

Well, it's Friday afternoon and I'm bored at work.

#12 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 15:11

I prefer the bronze...kind of for the same reasons I like old black and white movies...

#13 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 19:24

Originally posted by D-Type
Phil, I think that is a distinct improvement on the 'miniature T-Bird' styling of the 1000S. :up:

Have you considered other ways to get a 12 cylinder sound? How about fitting a small V8 (Buick, Rover or Range Rover) in the front and a VW engine and power train in the rear. You would then also be paying tribute to Dr Porsche. And if you could work out how to combine 3 cylinders of DKW, 5 cylinders of Audi and 4 cylinders of VW you could be even more authentic.

I think that if you figure out how to make that lot work you keep it to yourself!! :eek:

When Auto Union was featured at Montery in 1981 (?) I owned this car and seriously considered painting it silver, putting a row of five onions across the front and calling it an "Auto Onion"
Unfortunately, common sense prevailed and I sold it to Miles Fenton who is driving it here:

Posted Image

#14 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 16:37

Yes, but then you would have had to put a 2-stroke in the back so it smelled like an onion :p

#15 AU1000S

AU1000S

• 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 23:56

Originally posted by D-Type

You my friend need to lay off whatever mind altering substance you're on.

#16 wheelock

wheelock

• 74 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:42

Thought I would resurrect this thread to let you know that i finally have a website up where you can buy the bronze version of the Auto Union piece.[limited edition of only 200 pieces]

www.marc42.co.uk

I am exited about making more sculptures to add to this one [got my fingers crossed i can sell these first!]
But there are sooo many to choose from.
I guess popular cars are the way to go but boy would I like to have ago at cars such the Darracq land speed car, Blitzen Benz etc, all those caps and moustaches!

Hope you like the site , feel free to ask any questions or give suggestions for new pieces etc.

Mark

#17 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 20:48

It only took a little over a year, but I received Tazio #001 yesterday. Good things are worth the wait!

The detail on this piece really draws you in. The suspension and brakes are particularly well done. Tiny details such as the engine cover straps and buckles are rendered in fine detail. Mark has also captured Nuvolari's traditional short sleeve shirt which even displays the four Auto Union rings. The stance, attitude and general "feel" of it certainly do justice to the "silberpfeile" era.

Well done!

#18 wheelock

wheelock

• 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 15:16

Many thanks for those kind words,it was a pleasure to finally get the piece too you.
Anyone else wanting one won't have to wait quite so long now production is sorted!
A couple of weeks depending on where you are.

Mark

#19 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:55

:wave: If any other should have the desire to go for a Maserati T151/3- 1964 Le Mans race version , please dont hesitate , lets do it together ? :smoking: Marc is here !!

Advertisement

#20 wheelock

wheelock

• 74 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:02

Hi Bjorn
It would make a good subject.
Nice idea,if there was sufficient interest from members here , I would certainly entertain doing group commissions.
I suppose the best way would be to do poll to choose the subject.
I get the feeling that there would probably a very wide range of suggestions!
Could be fun though.
Better start rounding up T151 enthusiasts!

Mark