Photo

Judy Ganley

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#1 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 15:52

I am so sorry to report that Judy, beloved wife of Howden and very good friend to so many people, died at her home in California last Friday.
She was a lovely lady, brave beyond words and will be dreadfully missed by everyone who knew and loved her.
Loti

Advertisement

#2 Psall

Psall

• 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 16:26

That´s very sad news. :( May she rest in peace.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 19:46

Howden and Judy were an inseparable unit. He described her to me once as being the most competitive person he had ever met - consider the circles in which Howden moved and that's quite some statement. She had been given very few months to live several long years ago, yet she fought the condition which claimed her like a tiger to survive so long. She was a worthy driver in her own right, and was a great lady. When I heard last night it was very, very sad news...if not, unfortunately, unexpected. Our thoughts are now with Howden. But for Judy at least there is comfort at last...

DCN

#4 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 20:13

So this week I lost two good friends, Judy and Bob Snodgrass. Two very good people. :(

#5 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 00:08

As Doug has so nicely said Judy Ganley was an angel on earth. I was helping Sid Taylor in 1971 run the BRM P167 at Riverside for Howden in the CanAm. Judy was helping us also with the timing. Howden had gone out and ran some practice laps. When he came in I said. How did it feel. Howden just looked up at me and said "Do you think Judy would go out with me?" Howden knew what he wanted the first time he met Judy. She was a great person and for 33 year years she was Howden's best friend and wife. She fought a brave 9 year battle against cancer and never quit fighting.

#6 Exact10

Exact10

• 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:34

Judy Ganley,
I met her only a few times, a very brave Lady, she always had a smile and time for a chat when she must have been living in pain.
Howden is a Gentleman of the old school and our thoughts are with him in this sad time.

God Bless you Judy,
Fitz-Simon family

#7 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:49

I have had a e mail from Howden, I was going to print this thread out and sent it but he got here first!
So, Howden, if you are keeping an eye on us, you can have no idea how many people have rung or e mailed and all want to do something to celebrate the life of a very brave lady.
I'm supposed to be the 'good ideas' department but at the moment, I must admit to very little inspiration, but there is time to think, so that we can get it right.
If anyone else wants to post their thoughts I know they would be most welcome.
Loti

#8 LOLE

LOLE

• 313 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:42

My honest condolences Mr Ganley.
From a Belgian fan.

#9 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 13:29

When I was researching the history of my March 741, Judy was very helpful. Howden had driven the car in the first 3 GPs of 1974, a really nice person.

I don't know what else to say.

#10 GAH

GAH

• 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 17:57

As a friend of Judy and Howden, I would like to echo the thoughts expressed by those in the other postings and add a few of my own. Many people know of the Ganley’s interest in racing, golf, family and travel, but most probably do not know of Judy’s background. With the high profile that goes with being a former F1 driver, Howden was usually the center of attention with Judy proudly at his side. However, there was much more to Judy than she let on, even to her closest friends.

An excellent student in school, Judy attended prestigious Stanford University before taking up sports car racing in the mid-1960s with the SCCA. She successfully raced both Sprites and Mini-Coopers until 1971 in the San Francisco Region. Among her accomplishments were being voted Women Racer of the Year by the California Motorsports Press Association and finishing first in class and nineteenth overall with co-drivers Janet Guthrie and Rosemary Smith at the 1970 Sebring 12 hours.

After retiring from driving, she accepted an invitation from Patty McLaren and traveled to Europe to attend the GPs with the McLaren F1 Team. Before long, Judy was assisting with timing/scoring where she exhibited an amazing ability to accurately time up to twenty cars with a single stop watch. On many occasions, Judy’s timing charts were used by other teams and drivers to compare their times against those of the race organizers. With her reputation as a timer growing, Judy embarked on a long career providing administrative support to major racing teams. These included (Chris) Amon Engines Ltd; LeMans with Matra (1972); BRM F1, Williams F1, Gulf in the Sports Car World Championships; Gelo Racing at Nurburgring 1000km, LeMans and Interseries; Verb Schuppan’s CanAm Team at Laguna Seca and Riverside (1980).

Along the way Judy became involved with race car engineering and between 1984 and 1987 she assisted various Group C teams with technical advice along with timing and lap charting. She returned to LeMans several more times in the 1980’s performing her flawless timing duties for several teams and co-managed one of the Schuppan Porsche 1962s in 1990. Besides her on-track advice, Judy gained considerable experience in aerodynamics and was involved in several wind-tunnel programs.

For a time Judy was a leading light in the famous “Doghouse Club”, a motor racing ladies club which raised large amounts of money for charity principally through a cabaret evening held in London. As well as singing and dancing in the cabarets, Judy served as Treasurer and then Chairman for several years.

For recreation Judy enjoyed golf, horseback riding and fly-fishing. Along with Howden,she was a member of the Blackhawk (Calif) and Maidenhead (UK) golf clubs. At Maidenhead Judy was the first American elected Ladies Captain and led the club teams in competitive play winning numerous honors.

Having traveled the world and made countless friends along the way, Judy’s zest for life, sense of humor and charm will be missed by the ones closest to her as well as anyone who had the good fortune to make her acquaintance.

Gary Horstkorta

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:10

That's an impressive CV!

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:09

Perhaps it's worth mentioning here for any reader of this thread who is puzzled by identity that Howden's Judy was formerly Judy Kondratieff of - for example - 1970 MacMillan Ring Free Oil Team fame - co-driving with Janet Guthrie and Rosemary Smith to win their class in the 1970 Sebring 12-Hours. She was thus successful in a World Championship Sports Car race before her husband-to-be.

DCN

#13 Gene

Gene

• 112 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:28

I seem to remember wasn't she related to Clint Eastwood?

#14 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:31

It's also good to remind people that Judy also purchased a car for the promising Bart Martin to race, a Brabham sports car previously owned by Robs Lamplough. After Grizzly Engineering transplanted a Ford 289ci V8 (like a Cobra engine) and reinforced the frame, Bart ran the car in two races at Cotati, then had his fateful day at Candlestick Park in October 1965 when while hounding Jim Hall for the lead of the race, he lost control of the car and slammed a concrete berm. The emergency services were rather poor that day and he died in the car, burned to death. They could not get the fire out and the thing burned to the ground.
Judy had a tough time dealing with that one and this was a bad memory for many years.

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:51

Post 1539 on page 39 shows a Gil Munz photo of Mrs Ganley in happy times.

http://forums.autosp...=&pagenumber=39

Roger Lund.

#16 Denise Ganley

Denise Ganley

• 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 23:53

The last time we saw Judy was in 2003 when she and Howden came out for a 2 week holiday. They arrived on my birthday (12th Feb) and we had a most pleasant dinner at the Ponsonby Fire Station where Judy had the 'best lemon meringue pie' ever.
When they were in NZ in 1991 Judy had a drive around Pukekohe in my MK 1 Mini Cooper which must have brought back some fond memories for her.
Our thoughts and love are with Howden right now.

#17 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:50

I just had an e mail from Howden saying that Judy's funeral is on June 4th in California and that they are hoping to have a memorial/celebration of her life over here [in the UK] on July 4th.
I'll keep you posted as of course it would be great to get as many people as possible.
I love the previous posts. Just what is needed.
Thanks
Loti

#18 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 18:50

Here is a picture of Judy and Howden shortly after they got married:

[IMG]http://img410.images...smallda8.th.jpg[/IMG]

#19 S Sharp

S Sharp

• 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 21:23

I have fond memories of the Ponsonby Fire Station dinner evening myself.
Howden and Judy must have joined us almost straight from the plane, having only arived in NZ a few hours previously.
It was a very last minute invite for them and we were delighted that they were able to cast aside the jet lag and travel wariness to join us.

Having read the thread thus far, and in particular Gary's posting, I had no idea that Judy had remained so active in motorsport after she herself had stoped competing. So often we learn about a person only after they are gone. And that is a great shame.

My sincerest condolences to Howden through this terrible time. We are always here and Judy will not be forgotten.

Steve.

Advertisement

#20 GAH

GAH

• 36 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 21:42

These two photos of Judy were taken 33 years apart. When her team, McMillian Ring Free Oil comprised of Judy, Janet Guthrie and Rosemary Smith, won their class at the 1970 12 Hours of Sebring, a celebration ensued in their paddock. That is Judy taking a drink of the bubbly with Janet on her left and Rosemary on the right. 33 years later, a recreation was held in London with some friends after an article appeared in a vintage race magazine chronicling Judy and her teammates exploits a Sebring...and a good time was had by all...at both celebrations.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:32

Erin, How nice to see you here.
Thank you posting that great picture.
Sylvia reminds me that you taught her to twirl a baton way back in 197? for the Doghouse Cabaret!
I hope you know that all the thought and feeling expressed here go to you and all of Judy's family as well as to Howden.
Loti

#22 Fitz

Fitz

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 22:34

Sandra and I were very sad to hear about Judy. We had been good friends with Howden and Judy since the 70's when Howden and I drove for Georg Loos together. Judy was a lovely person and fought her illness bravely for many years. Howden searched the globe tirelessly for the best treatment for her and was able to prolong her life beyond reasonable expectations. Judy was a great host and always made us feel at home when we visited them after they settled in California to be near her family. We enjoyed many games of golf together and she was always fiercely competetive which was undoubtedly one of the attributes that helped her endure her illness. Howden was Judy's hero and she supported him throughout his Racing and business Career and more recently when Howden put so much hard work into the BRDC and particularly the support of Young Drivers. They were a very loving couple and were rarley seen apart. Our trips to California will not be the same.

John and Sandra Fitzpatrick

#23 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:50

A deserving obituary from the Oakland Tribune you can find here:

JUDITH WOOD GANLEY 26 June 1939 - 27 April 2007 Resident of Blackhawk, CA Judy Ganley, beloved wife of Howden Ganley, devoted sister of John B. (Bindy) Wood, Jr. and Edwin K. (Mary) Wood II, adored mother of Erin K. (Tom) Pritchett and Eric J. (Camie) Kondratieff and grandmother of Nicki, Austen, Andrew and Alex Pritchett, passed away peacefully in her home with her husband and children at her bedside after a courageous nine-year battle against cancer. She was preceded in death by her father, John Belden Wood, Sr., her mother, Marian Singer Wood, and her brother, Ralph S. Wood. A native of Oakland, Judy graduated at the top of her class from Anna Head School for Girls in 1957 then attended Stanford University, where she met her first husband, Serguey Kondratieff, whom she married in 1958. Together, they took up amateur motor racing, competing at such venues as Sears Point and Laguna Seca. After their divorce in 1969, Judy became a success on the women's professional racing circuit with teammates such as Janet Guthrie. She frequently traveled to England, where she met the love of her life, Grand Prix driver Howden Ganley of New Zealand, to whom she has been very happily married for nearly 32 years. They made their home in England from 1975 to 1999, after which they moved permanently to Blackhawk. Though she retired from competitive driving in 1971, Judy remained involved in various aspects of motor racing for many years, providing extensive administrative support to major racing teams and, later, to Howden's TIGA racecar factory in England. She also devoted her acting, singing and leadership talents for many years to the Doghouse Club, whose annual cabaret extravaganzas raised considerable funds for a variety of charitable foundations. A talented athlete, Judy enjoyed and excelled at golf, winning many prestigious amateur tournaments along the way. She was elected Ladies Captain of the Maidenhead Golf Club, the only non-U.K. woman ever to hold that position. She also loved outdoor activities such as fly-fishing and horseback riding, especially in the company of her family. Judy was an adventurer and traveler who enjoyed learning new things and experiencing new places; she also enjoyed making new friends as well as cultivating the old ones. We love her for her charm and quick wit, her thoughtful generosity and her gracious treatment of everyone around her. We deeply admire her quiet courage and inspirational example of the past nine years, for she never failed to get the most out of life despite her illness. For all these reasons, and for many more besides, Judy will be greatly missed, not only by her loved ones, but also by her many friends around the world whose wonderful tributes and heartfelt messages of condolence have been a great comfort to her family. Memorial services will be held at Blackhawk and in England. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in the name of Judy Ganley to either the East Bay SPCA at http://www.eastbaysp...ndmemorials.cfm or to The Wheelchair Foundation, P.O. Box 2545, Danville, CA 94526. Wilson & Kratzer - Danville 925-820-2999
Published in the Oakland Tribune on 5/2/2007.

BTW: Although it is a sad occasion we should heartily welcome John Fitzpatrick to this forum. Let's hope Fitz will stay here and tell us about his rich racing life.

#24 BT8

BT8

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:50

Here's a picture of Judy in her early racing days:

Posted Image

#25 BT8

BT8

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:54

And another:
Posted Image

She's not actually racing this car - she's in a Sunbeam Alpine at the car dealership...

#26 BT8

BT8

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:09

Getting advice before the race:

Posted Image

Judy advising her brother, Ralph Wood...

Posted Image

#27 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:46

Huffaker F/J?

#28 BT8

BT8

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:48

Sorry - that may not have been Ralph Wood ... not sure he had a Huffaker...

#29 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 13:44

Great photos, thanks for sharing them, I didn't realize she was such a racer, nice to know.

#30 GAH

GAH

• 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 22:05

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are three additional photos of Judy Ganley from the 1970 12 Hours of Sebring. In the top picture
Judy is at the far right with Janet Guthrie, chief mechanic Billy Cook (hat & glasses) and team co-owner Bobby Rinzler (on left). The four were discussing practice lap times.

The middle photo is the Baker Racing/Ring Free Motor Oil LeMans Sprite Prototype raced by Ganley, Guthrie and Smith. According to Billy Cook, this car was absolutely bulletproof and ran the whole 12 Hours without a problem. In fact, after the race, the car was driven from Sebring back to the Atlanta new car showroom of Fred Baker and put on display...race grime and all. At last report, this car was in the U.S., undergoing a complete restoration along with the Sprite roadster that was also in this race.

For Judy Ganley racing the Sprite was a bit of learning curve as she had never raced a right-hand drive/left-hand shift car before; she was three to four inches shorter than her co-drivers and she had never raced at night before. None-the-less, she completed her driving shifts as scheduled and enjoyed the teams success. The following year, she was invited back by Baker Racing as a reserve driver for the teams Chevron B-16 but the car blew an engine on the second lap so she was unable to drive in the race.

The bottom pictures is a publicy photo of the all-women team. From left to right: Judy Ganley, Janet Guthrie, Sharlene Seavey (reserve driver, did not race) and Rosemary Smith.

#31 BT8

BT8

• 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:57

Here is another picture of the mystery car in the picture of Judy at the 1966 Port of Stockton race - Maybe Gary can get some more clues from this photo... (the driver LOOKS like Ralph Wood...)

Posted Image

#32 GAH

GAH

• 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:35

The Mystery Car:

From the initial picture posted by BT8, there are a couple of visual clues to work with:

1. The car, #26C, looks similar to but is not a BMC FJr. Shock mount, trailing arms, dual carbs and wheels are not correct. In the background is what appears to be a Formula Vee, partial (?) number 8.

2. The venue is most likely the Port of Stockton (CA).

3. Having a FV and Formula C car on the same grid indicates a mixed grid of formula cars.

Looking through my race programs for Port of Stockton, the June 12-13, 1965 event shows a Regional race on Saturday with FV, FJr. and Formula C cars. #26C, described as an MBM, the driver was listed as one Dave Hemminger and the white FV was #81. So, this nifty looking Formula C looks like it could be BMC or perhaps Cosworth powered with dual side-draft Webber carbs, American Racing Wheels and perhaps a modified FJr. body of unknown origin.

Gary

#33 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 18:50

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful messages of support. We are truly comforted by them - I especially love reading about your memories of mom, so keep posting them for me! Best to all of you - Erin

Posted Image

#34 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 18:59

Posted Image

#35 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:14

I just realized I didn't mention anything about the two photos above - post #33 is mom in her blonde phase, about 1966, and post #34 is mom in her mini at Laguna Seca.

#36 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:59

Hi, Erin,
I hope you are OK..... well as OK as you can be under the circumstances.
You know your mother had some pretty whacky friends.... I shall name no names but you know who you are! and I keep getting telephone calls from some about the celebration of Judy's life on July 4th [everyone, please keep the date free, it's the Wednesday before the British Grand prix, so no excuse not to be here]
Is there any chance you will be over for it? and please can we use some of the photographs you posted for a souvenir thing.
I have spoken to Mike, who sounds very organised and we really do want to get it right.... but that Mini Cooper S's colour is going to be hard to copy!
You know by now how we all feel, so once again, love to you all
Loti

#37 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 19:04

It's so hard to believe that Judy has gone. For such a long time she never complained through some pretty unimaginable times always supported by Howden. She showed a true racer's spirit and will remain a shining example of courage and fortitude. Judy would often share experiences with Lorina when they met as unless you have been there yourself you cannot imagine what it is like, and they were able to give each other support.

Now we learned today that our great friend German Lotus expert and Historic F2 racer Richard Spelberg has also died of cancer. All this on the anniversary of the day I was one of the few witnesses to Gilles accident.

Jeez, why is it always the good guys ?

RIP all of you.

#38 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 285 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:31

I was fortunate enough to be seated next to Judy at a BRDC lunch in Auckland in Feb 2003.

I learnt of her timekeeping prowess from Howden and the idea was hatched to write a story about the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix - but from an expert timekeepers point of view, albeit one married to one of the people that might have/could have won that day.

A few days after the lunch and I'm interviewing this glamouress, and clearly very intelligent, lady about one of the more controversial results in F1 history. Judy's recall was crystal clear 30 yrs on which made putting the whole thing together a real breeze for me.

We next saw Judy and Howden last July when visiting San Francisco. I have already expressed my condolences privately to Howden but would like to use this forum to join with the others in saying to Eric and Erin that a lot of us are thinking of you all.

Thank you for the photos - just superb.

#39 Nicki Dalton

Nicki Dalton

• 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:51

We are devastated for Howden at the loss of his courageous best friend and wife, Judy. Along with Howden, Judy's children Eric and Erin and their families have lost a fabulous friend, mother and grandmother. Grant and I have special memories of times shared with Howden and Judy in the UK and also in NZ. Although Howden is my brother, spending time with Howden and Judy was always time spent with great friends and the opportunity for Grant and I to indulge our passion for motorsport, and for Howden and Judy to enjoy following yacht racing. Grant and Judy always really enjoyed each other's company. Both self disciplined and competitive, they had a lot of respect for each other and I know as a lover of speed, how much Judy loved her blast down the Northland coast in NZ with Grant, in a fast chase boat. She was soaked but grinning from ear to ear.

Judy's long fight defied all the odds and was a testament to her determination and strength. How lucky she was to have the unstinting efforts of a devoted husband to fight it with, head on. There is nothing Judy couldn't have accomplished - she was a very successful racing driver, golfer, talented artist, tennis player, skiier, water skiier and artist - just to mention a few. Her friends and family have been robbed of an intelligent, fun loving person with a sharp wit and a sincere interest in the lives of those around her. Howden has been robbed of his soul mate.

Advertisement

#40 JER

JER

• 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 20:05

Some memories from Karen and Jeremy Rossiter:

Karen:
I worked with Judy for several years in Womans Motor Racing Associates Club, more affectionately known as The Doghouse Club.
The Doghouse raised large amount of money for charity each year and the Doghouse Ball held at The London Hilton , Park Lane gave the sell out crowd of racing drivers, friends and family a huge amount of pleasure on the night.
In fact it was Howden and Judy who took us to our first Doghouse Ball and when I saw the wonderful cabaret and the fantastic tap dancing that the committee and members did; I said to Judy “I’m going to join this club, learn to tap dance and do that cabaret. “I remember it as if it were yesterday. It is exactly what I did and at the time had no idea that it would lead to so many years of fun and laughter with Judy and other members.
Judy helped and supported me when I took on the role of Chairman when she stepped down I remember her fondly and will miss her smiley face but carry many happy memories of the times we shared.

Jeremy:
I was fortunate to play in several of the Howden and Judy’s Golf days at Maidenhead – we all knew this was supposed to be a one off but due to Judy’s resilience and determination along with both Howden and Judy’s generosity it became an annual affair until 2005!!
The Howden and Judy’s Golf day towel dated 8th July 2004 is still proudly attached to my golf bag.
Did Judy ever raise her voice or get angry – we never saw it – always dependable, never complaining and so supportive; particularly when our eldest son James was a member of the BRDC Young Driver Programme racing in British Formula Renault and F3.

Our thoughts are with you Howden, Erin , Eric and all other family members.

Love, Karen and Jeremy

#41 Dennis Marwood

Dennis Marwood

• 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:19

We have wonderful memories of Judy and Howden being at the Motordrome Racing Team Reunion on 16 February 2002 held at Ross & Paula Greenville’s “Puerta del Sol” a perfect venue - a luxury golfing retreat at Mt Maunganui.

It was a great catch up with Pete Kerr (who sadly lost his life the day after Judy ), Ross, Howden, Brian Innes and myself being the four drivers as well as John Muller and wife, and most importantly the Sponsor of the Team Ivan Segedin.

Judy’s passion for golf was obvious when upon discovering I was keen to play but did not have any golf clubs she immediately decided I should have the bag and clubs she had in her car. A fantastic gesture and something to cherish - this sums Judy up for me – a beautiful, intelligent lady.

We were later delighted that they joined us at our home (after a round of golf at our local Warkworth Club) for another memorable dinner with Ross and Hazel Jensen and Paul and Susie-Jane Stitchbury.

Our thoughts are with you Howden – you have certainly lost a wonderful friend and wife.

#42 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 285 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:49

Eoin Young has asked me to post the following message on his behalf:

It has taken me too long to come to terms with Judy's death after her long battle with cancer. Maybe it's because it was hard for me to put into words what I think Howden must be feeling. Which is no excuse if words are supposed to be my business.

Howden and Judy just seemed to be the perfect couple in motorsport and maybe that's because their relationship wasn't the normal sort of motorsport Mr and Mrs. For Judy it wasn't any sort of hero worship that put them together and for Howden it wasn't any sort of trophy conquest. They were them.

I met Judy towards the end of her racing career in her own right when we were in the States on the CanAm series and Howden was the ideal man for her to have met. They were both real racing people as opposed to poseurs and it was a mutual appreciation liason from which a love grew. They were true team-mates, best friends and such a great couple.

That's also why they suffered together as Judy fought her illness. She was one great lady and my thoughts are with Howden in his loss.

Eoin Young

#43 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 13:18

I first got to know Howden when he becoame a colleague Director of the BRDC Club in 1992. Shortly afterwards my wife, Joy, and I met Judy.

One was immediately struck by her quiet confidence and competitive spirit mixed with a caring and geniune personality. She was also a shrewd judge of human nature.
We have many happy memories of social events in the UK, and examples of Ganley hospitality. An example of this were the Motorsport-versus-Golfers private golf days at Maidenhead when they gathered together interesting personalities for golf and a splendid lunch to which non golfers like me were included.
A highlight  was a week we spent on holiday at their home at Blackhawk in August 2005 and we have a happy photo of us  on the summit of Mount Diablo, a favourite venue of Judy's.

Despite the onset of cancer nearly eight years ago she fought bravely against the increasingly debilating illness with ferocious courage. Howden's constant support never diminished. Their joint effort is an outstanding example to us all.

We will miss many aspects of this special intelligent and loving person. Not least of which was that delightful slightly crooked smile, followed by a comment full of dry humour!
Thank you, Judy, for your friendship.

Michael and Joy MacDowel.

Posted Image

#44 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 22:55

I failed to mention that the above picture is of Michael & Joy MacDowel with Judy at Beulieu-san-Mer in 2006 on the occasion of the annual meeting of the Club des Ancien Pilotes du Grand Prix - held at the same time as the Monaco Historic Weekend. Michael had asked me to post his comments and I had the picture of the three of them so I added it.

Erin

#45 Mirage

Mirage

• 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 23:32

Le Mans 1973 - Howden & Judy with Len Bailey, designer of the Gulf Mirage, and John Horsman, Team Manager of Gulf Research Racing (and author of Racing in the Rain: My Years with Brilliant Drivers, Legendary Sports Cars, and a Dedicated Team).

Posted Image

#46 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 00:10

What a superb photo

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:55

Mirage: Welcome to the Forum. That picture is beautiful and thank you very much for posting it.

#48 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 19:05

Here is a picture of glamor girls Judy and Shirley Newman in one of the wonderful cabarets put on by the Doghouse Owners Club. Maybe Loti can enlighten us as to which year this Cabaret was performed! I was around for the rehearsals of the 1979 Cabaret, but didn't get to see the final performance, and I know mom did several of them over the years. She loved singing and dancing and hamming it up with the girls, almost as much as she loved racing!

Erin

Posted Image

#49 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:25

That was 1975 at the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane. The first cabaret Judy did with the Doghouse and straight off she sang a take off of Officer Kruppkie [spelling?][[from West Side Story]] which started Dear friendly ball supporters, you gotta understand, it's only every other year that we get out of hand........... Looking at those costumes I'm surprised she came back for more. What was i thinking?In 1977 she did a very funny take off of Convoy, which , if you remember was based on the RT of two truck drivers only we did it with a driver/ pit radio at Le Mans. 1978 she was in the second pantomime which we did at the Mayfair Hotel and 1979 another cabaret, but this time at the Hilton, Park Lane. No jokes about our balls getting bigger please.
That was my last cabaret for a while but Judy went on to appear in 1981, missed 1983, back again in 1985 and 1987. 1989 was the last one I can find. The ball in 1991 was in memory of Eba Grant, the most loved Hon. Sec of the Doghouse and Judy was at the helm of the club, chairman, secretary and all I believe. I came back to do the cabaret but I didn't see much of Judy as she was not at rehearsals. The cabarets and pantomimes were a strong bond between those who did them. and I must say thet Judy was a joy to work with as, if you asked her to put on something ghastly and go out and do something silly she would [see above] without a protest.
Happy days.
[I just love this thread]
Loti

#50 Eric J Kondratieff

Eric J Kondratieff

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:16

I am truly touched by the concern and condolences so many of you have expressed for Howden, Erin and me due to Mom's passing; her loss really does leave a *tremendous* void in our family. It has been a (bittersweet) joy to read your comments about Mom's many wonderful attributes, and about how she touched each one of you in positive ways. I especially appreciate the wonderful pictures from the racing scene and Doghouse days!

Some of her attributes that you have mentioned and that were my favorites include: her competitiveness, combined with an innate sense of fairness and a natural humility (it was not in her nature to brag about her achievements); and her hilarious wit, combined with an ability to laugh at herself. Not surprisingly, sharing our favorite funny stories about Mom, those which she found funny as well, is the best therapy for us, as it rekindles the simple joy we felt when spending time with her.

Something else comes to mind that I have not seen mentioned here yet: Mom was an astute student of human nature which, given her genuine interest in others, meant that she could be a truly wise counselor when you needed one; I often did, and was very grateful for Mom's constant love, support and motivating example, albeit from afar (my wife, Camie, and I live in PA, not CA, unfortunately, and we deeply regret that we could not be in CA once Mom and Howden moved there permanently).

It seems paradoxical that the person who needed our love and support was often the one offering love and support to *us* in double measure, but that was Mom. She always seemed to be more concerned about her family and friends than about herself, and only shared news about her condition with those who asked. It has been said on this thread that Howden is a gentleman of the old school, and that is true. It should also be said that Mom was a lady of the old school as well, one who exemplified courage with dignity, and grace with warmth and compassion up to the end. A true inspiration.

We will all miss her terribly; I miss her every day.

Eric