#1 montoya_fanatic

montoya_fanatic

• 74 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:01

Video Link -

http://www.youtube.c...related&search=

Quick Nick was at the Nurburgring Nordschleife yesterday and I found 1 link that showed him lapping the track. Will add more later
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contemporary Formula One machinery returned to the Nürburgring Nordschleife for the first time in 31 years today, as Nick Heidfeld demonstrated his BMW Sauber F1.07 around the legendary 20.8km track.

The German was instructed to slow for photographic purposes several times on each of his three laps of the track, so his 8:34 lap time was not representative of a modern F1 car's potential on the circuit.

But apart from using harder tyres and an increased ride height, the F1.07 was in full race specification.

"This drive was simply incredible," said Heidfeld. "I thought it would be great to drive on the Nordschleife before I started out. But it was even better than I had expected.

"This racing track is the best in the world. I'd really like to have emptied the tank. It was a very special moment when I left the grand prix circuit in the direction of the Nordschleife."

Heidfeld achieved a top speed of 275 km/h on the long Dottinger Hohe straight.

"I was really shaken up at the Bergwerk section and on the Dottinger Hohe," he said.

"I'll never forget today as long as I live. Another particularly special experience has now joined the many fantastic childhood memories and racing successes."

Team boss Mario Theissen reiterated that the event had always been intended as a tribute to the legendary track rather than an attempt to set a new lap record..

"We had implored him to be careful," said Theissen.

Wish i was there to watch it and wish I can drive on this track one day as I love it in PG3 on Xbox 360!

Advertisement

#2 montoya_fanatic

montoya_fanatic

• 74 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:04

Heidfeld ..not Heidfelt..sorry bout that..will get some more videos for you guys by the morning!

Did anyone from this board make it there?

#3 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,170 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:25

And from a different angle:
http://www.youtube.c...rIqXc4bf6U&NR=1

And another:

I like the crickets and the tow-truck in this one. :cool:

Anyway, thanks for the link & post/thread m_f :wave:

#4 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 17:51

Great ! He seemed to have enough fun out of it, that's about the right amount of speed to be honest no point in going quicker one of those bumps could pitch him into a spin and there's a hell of a lot of **** flying up so the track would need to be cleaned up properly. Well done Nick !

#5 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 20:52

My god, what a beautiful sound :love:

#6 kyriakos75

kyriakos75

• 438 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 21:46

A 42 seconds on board:

#7 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,042 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 22:42

Awesome! Hard to believe theres never been anything like this over the years that F1 teams have been visting the new Nurburgring.

Loved the shots from the car with the Nick driving alongside on the dottinger hohe. Angles Iv never seen/heard an F1 car from before!

I wonder how well Nick knows the Ring? Has he raced there?

Its obvious from the onboards Nick had bags of grip at the apexs in reserve but the fact he didnt seem to ever go near the Karrussel of Mini Karrussel probably proves how unsuitable a modern F1 car is for this mighty track. He back off over alot of the crests too. Still, Im sure he could obliterate the lap record if required! :)

#8 JSF

JSF

• 678 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 23:01

Originally posted by kyriakos75
A 42 seconds on board:

Lovely bit of footage. It shows just how little he knows the track and how he was just stroking the car round, his lines are way off what he would be doing once he knew the circuit properly. He's going pretty quick for someone driving on instinct/sight, tons in reserve in the car there.

There is another thread already about this that discusses the Karusel etc. Nick had only done a couple of laps before this event, so a real novice on the circuit.

#9 kyriakos75

kyriakos75

• 438 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:07

Originally posted by kyriakos75
A 42 seconds on board:

[ And just for the record a year later :) ]

An almost full lap on board:

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 18:11