Photo

Japanese 125 machinery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:11

As was requested a thread on Japanese 125 machines.

Honda
Tohatsu
Yamaha

See previuos thread for Tohatsu racing machines;

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=94377

I used to be taken to Brands Hatch by my grandad to watch my uncle race his 350 AJS & 500 Manx Norton, in those days the Hondas main opposition came from the Spanish Bultacos and the odd Ducati.

The Tohatsus were nice looking bike but lacked werre frequently breaking down.
Dave Simmonds who rode one went on to become world champion when the works bikes withdrew.

My all time favorite British 125 rider was Dave Chadwick who i saw when i was taken to Crystal Palace, he won every race he took part in cept one.
He broke a chain while leading.
I was heartbroken at his death.

Pete

Advertisement

#2 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:46

Originally posted by Yendor in the thread "Do you remember Tohatsu racing bikes?"

Further to the above, I've just found this pic taken at Castle Combe during the race.

Posted Image
Yes you're quite correct, it's me

Yendor (or anyone else),
My father has a CR93 today for historic parading purpose, and I would be very interested in hearing stories and technical experience of racing this bike!

#3 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:31

This is Mike Hailwood's 1961 Honda 2RC143. This is the bike on which he won the 1961 IoM TT.

Posted Image

#4 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:52

Nice one!

Just in case you haven't seen it already, here's an excellent site about 50's/60's racing Hondas.

Jonas

#5 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 19:05

my favourite bike of all time,lucky uncle,pictures please! :up:

#6 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 23:54

I have no more photos of 125s. Honda have a very nice collection at Motegi.

Posted Image

#7 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:11

You have to admit that these bikes from the 60's do look the part , i was part of the 60's scene as a young lad and loved tosee these race.

Strangly enough i have never actually riden a bike in my whole life but being around racing bike has stuck with me all my life.

I use to stay with my Gran whose house was next door to Sharpe & Woollett 's Bike in shop in Sevenoaks , i used to enjoy looking at the lovely display ithrough the windows.

Looking at those Honda i can hear and smell them :clap:

Pete

#8 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:46

:wave: I do really like this and the Tohatsu thread , but do feel they belong under the Motor Cycle Racing;1949-1968 thread , for the reason of the title , and as you cannot be assured of the searchBB can find a thread if you look for something like Honda 125 ? Who will know there is something under Japanese 125 machinery ?

Anyway , fine picture , and I remember the only TT race I was to being the Ulster TT in 1967 , final year of real motor cycle racers, the worlds most fantastic sound , the HONDA 6 !!!!!!

#9 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:02

Bjørn

I agree. I have a lot more photos from the Honda museum at Motegi. I'm happy to post them in the Motor Cycle Racing;1949-1968 thread if anyone is interested.

Pete.

I grew up in the Midlands, and the highlight of my teenage years was watching the '60s greats at the Mallory Park post-TT races. Mike Hailwood was our local boy, and he never disappointed.

#10 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:35

:smoking: I am not to judge , but personally I like it a bit of order. Of course it also has its charm to keep searching , now a year after I entered the TNF I still find transporter pics here and there , and you cannot allways place everything "right" all the time , but still.......! When I opened the 49-68 it was because I felt the other one had too much too"new" for me to go through to find "my years"( my interests). And after 1967 the big ones withdrew and rules changed. "The other" thread is now 1969-1990 Nostalgia, and that I find very good. I am sure that if you post your pics on the resp. threads we will all be well satisfied , I WILL. :wave:

#11 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:17

Maybe a Moderator would like to move threads . merge them if you like.

Soubriquet ,
As i lived in Kent My hero was probably ' King of Brands' Derek Minter, i did like to see the visiting foriegn riders. Hugh Anderson, Jim Redman, Paddy Driver, Mike O'Rourke, ETC.

Pete

#12 soubriquet

soubriquet

• 376 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:15

Yes and yes

You missed Bill Ivy.