Lakeside Raceway - photos of the circuit today

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 00:32

Background

Lakeside Raceway is located 30km North of Brisbane Australia. It was a fast, sweeping circuit that hosted the 1966 and 1969 Australian Grand Prix. More recently it hosted a round of the V8 Supercar Touring Car championship, up until 1998. By 2001 the circuit had fallen on hard-times and went bankrupt. It was purchased by the local council for $AUD600,000 (approx. $US490,000), who closed it down immediately.

There are moves afoot to reopen the circuit but I am cautiously optimistic - I'll believe it when I see it. The man behind the re-development is John Tetley, owner of QLD Raceway near Ipswich.

Yesterday, I went for a 5 minute drive down the road to Lakeside today to inspect the circuit's conditions and take some photos. Thought I'd share some of them. Here are a few of the best:

Posted Image
The grid - fresh rubber ...

Posted Image
Race Control. This is where the commentators used to sit, as well as event grand marshalls and so-forth. The building has been bordered up.

Posted Image
Inside the scrutineering building. This is where cars would be checked to make sure they complied with the regulations. Now it's just home to bird feces, spider skins and broken glass.

Posted Image
Even though the track only shut in 2001, technology is stuck in ... 1981 ...

Posted Image
The famous Grand Prix Jaguar bridge. This thing was full of pigeons and appears to have sustained some damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Looking at the advertising boards is a snapshot into the past, with old logos and now non-existent companies featured.

Posted Image

Posted Image
The whole place is over-grown. Someone needs to bring in a lawn-mower.

Posted Image
The pitlane garages.

Posted Image
Looking down towards the first few corners from the top of the control tower.

Posted Image
Looking up towards the Eastern Loop. When I was there one weekend back in 2000 a bloke in a historic car of some sort, maybe a Jaguar, had a fatal heart-attack during the warm-up for a race.

Posted Image
Lakeside - once the playground of racers - now a hangout for youths with nothing to do.

More photos here: http://cfm.globalf1.net//?page_id=169

Small video here:

A few notes about the circuit condition:

• The track surface appears to be in an acceptable condition. Only the pit-lane entrance is badly broken up.
  • The control tower, scrutineering building and pit-HQ have all taken a battering from vandalism. The control tower's glass windows have been smashed. The rooms have been bordered up to stop further damage.
  • "Lakeside Room" and the pit-garages appear to have been well-preserved. There was a bin just outside the pit-garages that was full of new-looking empty soft-drink cans and bottles.
  • There was no sign of any recent lawn-mowing, construction, development or maintenance of any kind.
  • The Grand Prix Jaguar bridge is now home to pigeons.
  • The circuit is in fairly bad shape - what you'd expect after 6 years of neglect. The pit-garages, track-surface, and armco are all in decent nick, but pretty much everything else would need major repairs or re-construction.

I hope John Tetley's plans come to fruition.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:38

A recent GEAR meeting was told that the track would be resurfaced, the control tower rebuilt and an underpass also constructed.

A framework of decibel days had been set out, the greater the noise the fewer the days up to a limit that would exclude a lot of race cars. This could also only happen between certain hours of the day.

I understood a lease was all in place but that was a couple of months ago now.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:14

With Queensland Raceway as the lessee, however, do you see any relief from the high rentals being charged for raceway use?

After all, they have a veritable mortgage on circuits in reasonable distance from Brisbane, and Morgan Park isn't - for all the good that it is - up to the standard of Lakeside.

My heart says, "Let's get Lakeside rolling again!" My head says, "But give it some competition so that it isn't too expensive to use."

#4 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:24

Very atmospheric photos, Scott. Thanks for sharing them here!

Although on the one hand it's rather sad, on the other there's always something about an abandoned circuit, isn't there?

#5 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:11

Couldn`t agree more Rob.

Old race tracks just have this great atmosphere about them.. similar to old railway tracks and stations.

#6 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 17:30

Great pics!

Strange how the grid looks like it was used yesterday, yet the remainder of the facility looks as you'd expect after seven years of neglect.

And I too agree about the similarity between disused railway stations & track being similar to abandoned race tracks.

#7 Team Result

Team Result

• 268 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:54

Thanks for the great pics, Scott.
Talk about a trip down memory lane!
I enjoyed the short video, too.
It showed 'Hungry' corner, which wasn't in your pix.
BTW, anyone know who first coined the title for this off-camber uphill corner, originally known as KLG?
As a young spectator on Eastern Hill I recall it as the scene of numerous 'car eating' episodes, as well as THE place to watch Brian Michelmore and Max Volkers 3-wheeling their twin Lotus Cortinas through it in true Jim Clark style!
Ten years later it 'ate' one of my Mazdas!
While watching the video on U-tube came across this one, which gives those who have never visited this challenging 2.4km track an idea of the rollercoaster-like ride a lap around it gave you.
Type, 'Dick Johnson at Lakeside 1985 Ford Mustang' .

Ross Burbidge

#8 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:13

I think I recall reading that Sid Sakzewski named it Hungry as when they were building the track it was a very swampy section and no matter how much fill they tipped in there it kept wanting more.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:36

I've never heard that one, David, but old Sid did say that it was called 'Hungry' because it had an appetite for cars...

The 1964 ATTC was one of its real demonstrations of its hunger.

#10 Ivan A

Ivan A

• 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:26

Brilliant Pictures with real atmosphere. I can nearly smell the Castrol R. Lakeside was always a 'user friendly' place in my day (back a bit!), so whatever they decide, I hope the organisers manage to maintain it's friendly atmosphere. It will be their attitudes toward its redevelopment that will make or break any reopening.

#11 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:46

There are rumours about that Lakeside has been secured with a 40 year lease for "recreational motoring activity".

Invitations have been issued to attend Lakeside at 4pm next Wednesday 5th December 2007.

If anyone gets an "invitation", can they tell us more ?. :clap:

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:25

I'll have to be involved in that...

If it does happen, it will happen under AASA/AMC, I guess, which means it will be a part of our new project.

#13 GO NOT SHOW

GO NOT SHOW

• 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:27

The "invitation" for Wednesday's event was only extended to financial members of GEAR (Qld).

The rest of us will have to rely on a report after to know what's happening.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:27

I'll ask John Tetley for an invite...

Bill Westerman is still pessimistic that anything will happen. By the way, didn't the 1999 ATCC round run at Lakeside?

#15 GO NOT SHOW

GO NOT SHOW

• 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 21:44

I suggest you do not mention WW when you ring JT, or you will have difficulty continuing the conversation, let alone securing an "invitation".

You could always join GEAR (Qld) Ray. Even a retired journo like you can afford their membership.;)

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 22:27

When did I retire?

I've been doing more writing lately than I have in 25 years...

#17 GO NOT SHOW

GO NOT SHOW

• 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:37

There is a rumour about that there will be "racing" at Lakeside this Sunday 6th April 2008.

Spectators are not invited.

More information on the Queensland Raceways website.

C u there folks (on the outside).

#18 Cal

Cal

• 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:37

It's no rumour, Im entered. They have had a change of heart in regards to spectators too. I had long wondered if this day would ever come.

Cal. :clap:

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:41

Naturally... it's a weekend I'm away...

Maybe next time.

Advertisement

#20 Cal

Cal

• 112 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:20

G'day Ray. :wave:

#21 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 418 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 23:26

Has anyone got photos of Lakeside as it is today? I believe a lot of work has been done and the circuit is getting some use.

Dale.

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 14:01

Originally posted by Cal
G'day Ray.

Any chance you'll answer the phone some time when I ring?

Dale, there was a full race meeting there a week ago. Don't know much about anything other than the HQs, but there should be pics on the QRDA site. I think that's the one where pics of each race meeting are posted.

#23 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 418 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 22:58

I couldn't find anything on the QRDA site. Photos similar to the ones at the beginning of this thread would be good. Just to get an idea of the work that has been done.
Dale.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:57

Give me a little time, Dale...

I'll get a link for you.

#25 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 00:06

AASA/HRCC meeting this last weekend that can only be described as first rate. Wonderful to see the place alive again, relaxed and well run. Even a historic fly past on Sunday during the lunch break and then trophies presented by Gloria Gardner in the afternoon. Brilliant weekend.

Posted Image

& the FJs were the stars of the show with some fantastic racing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:56

A couple of procedures that I thought particularly worthy of note. Rolling starts although introduced to reduce the noise problem seemed to be well received by everyone for safety reasons.

The Pace Car was replaced by a red light lock down system, stationary red flags and red lights = maintain no more than 120 kms and then with waved yellows at the trouble spot where speed had to be reduced to a slow pace.
Waved red flags and flashing red lights = race cancelled back to the paddock. It was put to the test a number of times and seemed to work very well indeed. I think it worthy of adoption for all historic meetings.

#27 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:14

AASA/HRCC meeting this last weekend that can only be described as first rate. Wonderful to see the place alive again, relaxed and well run. Even a historic fly past on Sunday during the lunch break and then trophies presented by Gloria Gardner in the afternoon. Brilliant weekend.

Thanks Andrew...atmospheric shots! Who do I see to be an official at an Historic meeting !! :wave:

#28 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 22:16

But why did it have to be on the same weekend as Phillip Island, surely I wasn't the only one who would have entered both. There was a large contingent of Queenslanders at PI too who would have been keen starters as well but had obviously entered many months ago whereas the Lakeside meeting was only a relatively recent announcement.

Are Historics now so popular that we can run meetings on the same weekend ? Some promotors would question that !

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 22:51

A good point, Dick...

Especially since Rod and Garry were running one of their series rounds at Morgan Park the same weekend. And as the entry forms for Lakeside went out only a couple of weeks before the event, it's clear that it was the organisers of the Lakeside meeting who were out to upset applecarts.

I gather it wasn't just a meeting for Historics, was it?

#30 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 23:46

A good point, Dick...

Especially since Rod and Garry were running one of their series rounds at Morgan Park the same weekend. And as the entry forms for Lakeside went out only a couple of weeks before the event, it's clear that it was the organisers of the Lakeside meeting who were out to upset applecarts.

I gather it wasn't just a meeting for Historics, was it?

It's my understanding that it was a last minute test run for a 50th anniversary event next year.

The youngest car as far as I can see was a RT4 Ralt.

Just 6 Group O Racing entered for Phillip Island this year, I wonder why?

#31 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 00:02

And the oldest car the Group J Lea Francis of Warren Webb, alone amongst the 60's and later cars.

Apparently at Phillip Island there was to be one race for M and O Formula Ford so it was first in, best dressed who got accepted. This is the problem I have been whinging about for some time, too many Historic groups and the dilemma of promotors in trying to cater for them all and unfortunately these days some groups miss out.

#32 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,396 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 00:26

Several video's on youtube of last W/ends 50th Anniversary Touring Car meeting if anyone is interested.Lakeside Touring Cars.14-08-2011.

Edited by Ian G, 17 August 2011 - 00:27.

#33 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:49

Several video's on youtube of last W/ends 50th Anniversary Touring Car meeting if anyone is interested.Lakeside Touring Cars.14-08-2011.

Should they really allow v8 Thupercars on a proper racetrack. I feel they should all be sent back to the paperclip!!

#34 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 00:36

I only ever raced Grand Prix Bikes there. I loved the general layout, lothed the "Bus Stop", (I crashed there more than once), feared the armco comming on to the main straight, and learnt that due to the uphill nature of the entry to the Karousel, I could carry a lot of speed in to there.

I got my best ever results at this track.

I has a character that the more modern circuits lack.

Long Live Lakeside I say

#35 Team Result

Team Result

• 268 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:50

I only ever raced Grand Prix Bikes there. I loved the general layout, lothed the "Bus Stop", (I crashed there more than once), feared the armco comming on to the main straight, and learnt that due to the uphill nature of the entry to the Karousel, I could carry a lot of speed in to there.

I got my best ever results at this track.

I has a character that the more modern circuits lack.

Long Live Lakeside I say

+1 to all your comments, even the bit about the bus stop!

...as....at one bike meeting I was asked to bring my Starion Production Car out to use as a Pace Car on the warm-up laps, can't recall why, maybe Mitsubishi were a sponsor. Anyway, first event of the day is for Superbikes, so I dutifully led a pack of snarling machines out on to the track. By the Karoussel they were clearly not happy at my pace, so I dutifuly obliged. Up and over what used to be called BP at about 90% pace only to be confronted with a set of witches hats across the track....missed most of them, I think and made a mental note of the new line I would have to take through there for the rest of the day!

#36 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 23:31

+1 to all your comments, even the bit about the bus stop!

...as....at one bike meeting I was asked to bring my Starion Production Car out to use as a Pace Car on the warm-up laps, can't recall why, maybe Mitsubishi were a sponsor. Anyway, first event of the day is for Superbikes, so I dutifully led a pack of snarling machines out on to the track. By the Karoussel they were clearly not happy at my pace, so I dutifuly obliged. Up and over what used to be called BP at about 90% pace only to be confronted with a set of witches hats across the track....missed most of them, I think and made a mental note of the new line I would have to take through there for the rest of the day!

Ross familiarity breeds contempt. In other words you were so used to the normal [for you] layout of the place.
I have never been there but have watched it on TV umpten times with most categorys. And I think that busstop spoilt the track for the bikes. Though one can understand the reason for it being there.

#37 Team Result

Team Result

• 268 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:01

Ross familiarity breeds contempt. In other words you were so used to the normal [for you] layout of the place.
I have never been there but have watched it on TV umpten times with most categorys. And I think that busstop spoilt the track for the bikes. Though one can understand the reason for it being there.

Exactly, Lee. I learnt to race there and knew every bump (and how to use them). Lakeside is the type of track that simply flows for its entirety (I'm talking about the twisty bits, of course). You needed to be precise, of course and a little brave, then it would reward you with a good lap and you would know it when that happened. I'm sure every bike racer hated that bus stop as it really would upset the flow.

Of course, the correct solution would have been to widen Shell Bridge and move the armco fencing back a few metres, but no one was spending any money on 'the Lake' in those days.