Photo

Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
1675 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 23:07

From time to time there are threads about drivers, designers, team owners etc, mostly famous ones, who have died...

I don't know if this thread would need to be a sticky, for it's my hope (...hmmm... belief?) that it will be used frequently and thus remain near the front page.

The purpose is to mention those who we learn have died in recent times.

Today I learned that Barry Sharp, driver of many sedans over the years, creator of many sports sedans and other vehicles, died suddenly of a heart attack on May 18 or 19. He leaves his partner of some years, Darrilyn, ex-wives Diane (Mawer) and Chris were at the funeral.

Barry was a rough diamond, I think everyone will agree. His first race was in a Wolesley 6/80 (yes, 6/80, not 6/90) at Towac circuit at Orange. He quickly moved on through a host of cars, with the Ford V8 becoming his stable power unit after the Wolseley, first the old Y-block until it wore out, then on to small blocks.

He was hired by Jack Brabham on Jack's acquisition of the Ford dealership and there prepared and ran a number of cars in both Sports Sedan and Production classes. Later he went into boat racing, using a Jaguar V12 in one boat that I know of.

In the same phone called I learned that Ken Hastings died the same week.

Ken was another who spent much time in Sports Sedans, building and racing his own car including the Karmann Ghia with BDA engine.

Advertisement

#2 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:36

An excellent thread , Ray , regards ,PN.

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,207 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 18:22

We already have a long-standing In Memoriam thread, Ray, to be found here, but kudos on the sentiments.

Maybe Twinny could merge this with that thread?

#4 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:25

I personally think this thread should continue as Ray envisaged that it should head, regards , ,Peter N.

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:05

Why lump individuals under a generic banner.....Barry should be worth a "Vale Barry Sharp" so that searchers and contributors can honour the man.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:15

That's why I started the thread, Mick...

There's people dying literally every day. The other thread just kind of records it all as matter-of-fact 'they died on this date... update your records'. I want people to come in on this one and say their piece.

Ken Hastings, for instance, raced a wide variety of cars. The Atom Climax was a little sports car, IIRC, and he had Bob Jane's Elfin 400 after Bevan Gibson's death... and later that Karmann Ghia sports sedan.

#7 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:33

Ray, many thanks for starting this thread ,i have known Ken Hastings for 47yrs+, thanks for news, regards PN.

#8 Peter Brennan

Peter Brennan

• 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 23:18

Ken was a great guy to me,a bit rough around the edges,but a good bloke.I remember taking 1600 FF bits to be balanced for my young blokes car,on pick up i asked for the account,it was a freebie from him,he just enjoyed helping the young ones starting out,i never forgot the generous gesture.
R.I.P Ken

#9 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 00:28

Sharpy and I grew up together in the Southern suburbs of Sydney and we saw a lot of each other in our younger days as part of the 'team partyhouse' group. After his active motor racing days he moved for a time to live in Cairns but we never did lose contact altogether and he still seemed to be in pretty good health when I saw him at Eastern Creek late last year. It was certainly a shock to hear of his passing.

Barry was a rather complex cross between a hot rodder and a road racer and often did a great job in educating each side of that divide. He had great imagination as was reflected in some of the unlikely components used to good effect in his cars. His choice of a Wolseley 6/80 as a racing car was, for example, right out of left field and quite foreign to some of his hot rodding mates but he persevered with it and made it work remarkably well. I drove some of his early sports sedan creations in various test sessions and they were interesting to say the least. Mostly left hand drive as that suited the Oran Park short circuit where most of our racing was done in those days.

He will certainly be missed!!

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:29

You're right about him looking a long way from departure date, Paul... it's maybe 12 months since I spoke to him and he was just the same as when I saw him a couple of years before that...

That Wolseley was sure different. I'll never forget the day he won a race at Oran Park in that car, the nose in the air as it came over the Dogleg. If I recall, it was boiling in the pits at the end of the race... but I wonder how much influence might have come from the supreme Anglophile, Big Dave, when it came to choosing that car?

Do you reckon he should have had this lineup for a guard of honour at his funeral?

Posted Image

#11 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:33

As i have just indicated, i have known Ken Hastings for over 47 yrs , really since the days of the Australian Motorsports Club of which the late Wally Mitchell was the president of , in 1964 Ken competed in a Humpy Holden or what ever had 4wheels, & as Peter has just said Ken really did have a true heart of gold , in my mind HE will always be remembered, to me Ken played an important part in the direction i would head after my secondary school education in Melbourne . R.I.P. Ken. you will never be forgotten...........

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:36

Originally posted by Ray Bell
That's why I started the thread, Mick...

There's people dying literally every day. The other thread just kind of records it all as matter-of-fact 'they died on this date... update your records'. I want people to come in on this one and say their piece.

Ken Hastings, for instance, raced a wide variety of cars. The Atom Climax was a little sports car, IIRC, and he had Bob Jane's Elfin 400 after Bevan Gibson's death... and later that Karmann Ghia sports sedan.

I feel uncomfortable getting into this because it is hardly the time or the place....but...the thread that records all those gone in the one place (IMHO) is a good resource here....I say again...there should be threads titled Vale Ken Hastings and Vale Barry Sharp for people to honour each of this individuals.

#13 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:42

Originally posted by Ray Bell
You're right about him looking a long way from departure date, Paul... it's maybe 12 months since I spoke to him and he was just the same as when I saw him a couple of years before that...

That Wolseley was sure different. I'll never forget the day he won a race at Oran Park in that car, the nose in the air as it came over the Dogleg. If I recall, it was boiling in the pits at the end of the race... but I wonder how much influence might have come from the supreme Anglophile, Big Dave, when it came to choosing that car?

Do you reckon he should have had this lineup for a guard of honour at his funeral?

Posted Image

Ray,

Barry was well into the pommie cars long before he met Big Dave and its even possible that he taught Dave a thing or two!! I can recall him having a great time with a 1950's Alvis roadster which his father owned when we were all just getting involved with cars and he had terrorised the neighbourhood with a series of 6/80's well before he hit the race circuit. I can well recall his first race in the Wolseley at Oran Park as he started with his crash helmet on back to front and could not understand what we were trying to signal to him about that from the sidelines as he sat on the grid!! Sharpy may not have been any threat to JM Fangio but he was a pretty fair hand at the wheel particularly in anything big and clumsy. He once did a few laps in my Turner and, while he was impressed with its handling, it was quite clear that he would prefer something requiring a bit more of a heavy hand!

He had a long love affair with Jags before he ever looked at a bent 8. One of his very early engine swaps involved the insertion of a 3.4 Jag engine and transmission into an FJ Holden owned by Sid Stacey. It was anything but subtle and must have been about the worst handling car I have ever been in as the Mk 7 Jag engine retained its large oil sump which sat on top of the FJ cross member placing the engine well up high with a consequent impact on body roll. The firewall had also been relieved of its contribution to body stiffness to accommodate the protusion of the engine into the cockpit. Altogether it was pretty much a disaster but I am sure it helped Barry's education a lot as his subsequent efforts did improve!!

I could not get to the funeral but I understand it was well attended. I don't know what the honour guard comprised of but the Wolseley line up you show would certainly have been appropriate as they were indeed dear to Barry's heart.

#14 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:18

Sorry to hear about Ken's passing.Often would see him at State rounds.Remember one time at a Sandown Historic meeting ,my Brabham picked up 2 gears and locked solid,undid the drive shafts and pushed it on the trailer,unknowen face (it was Ken helped me push it on )One side of historic racing I miss so much is/was the mateship and or help of others.

#15 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:44

Originally posted by Robert Bailey
Sorry to hear about Ken's passing.Often would see him at State rounds.Remember one time at a Sandown Historic meeting ,my Brabham picked up 2 gears and locked solid,undid the drive shafts and pushed it on the trailer,unknowen face (it was Ken helped me push it on )One side of historic racing I miss so much is/was the mateship and or help of others.

Robert, you are right about the mateship and the help of others, Ken fitted into this catergory with his mateship, and so have many other motorracing people, husbands & wives have both contributed to this mateship..............

#16 Terry H

Terry H

• 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 16:30

saddened to learn of Barry Sharp"s untimely death, I knew Barry Sharp since before I bought his Racing Wolseley 6/80 in 1965/6, I had been in and out of contact with Barry since 1966 and in 2002 caught up with him at Wakefield Park, we later that day had an enjoyable dinner, Barry, Darrilyn, Vickie and myself discussed old times and the restoration of the Wolseley 6/80, unfortunately the restoration was not completed in time for Barry to as planned drive at Wakefield Park, however the restoration is under way and when finished it might be appropriate to display the Wolseley perhaps with other of Barry's old race cars in memory of to me a great guy who was I believe appreciated by many but deserving of a lot more, Barry Sharp the Grandfather of Australian Sports Sedans, Barry Sharp ever helpful Quote: "Can't Tell You To Much" but he always did and I owe a lot to Barry as without Barry's help and guidance in my younger days I might never have had the enjoyment, success that I have to date had.

Vickie and I attended Barry's Funeral Service, it was to many an extremely emotional service, John Goss was one of the notable movers,an emotional Gossy gave an interesting and creditable account, praise of Barry "unforgettable" never have I been to such an emotional funeral, later at the Motorboat Club there was a large gathering of family, friends, automotive folk, boating folk who were able to for the first time meet Barry's Daughter,the latter was rather special to many of us, see film footage, pictures and slides of Barry's doings and achievements.

unfortunately so many folk learned of Barry's passing days too late to attend the service

I could not work out the add pic route but for those that might remember Barry's Wolseley,

http://www.geocities...ane/1209/w.html

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 21:36

Here's how it's done, Terry:

Posted Image

That must surely be the only photo in existence of the 6/80... we used it, of course, in my story about Barry and his cars in Motor Racing Australia and I'm sure it's been posted on here before somewhere. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've seen your webpage before?

I think it's a Lance J Ruting photo, isn't it? Though I don't remember Lance Needs ever being just across the track from us there to take his pics.

#18 seldo

seldo

• 2,588 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:07

That's a bit of a shock to hear of the passing of Barry and Ken - I have to admit it's a bit scary too...
As others have said - they were both "colourful" characters and very much some of the staunchest enthusiasts who really enjoyed their motor racing. Very sad to hear.

#19 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:27

Sad news indeed , i had the pleasure of knowing Barry on and off the track in sport sedans and he was what i liked about motor racing a real enthusiasts and was one of the Boys , Ken i never meet but saw him in action many times good racer. :(

Thanks for letting us know RAY it,s a shame we only find out days after his funeral. I guess we will have to start checking the Paper listing every day from now on there is a lot of old driver and racers that are comming up for there last race in life.

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 14:37

Another arch enthusiast, Pedro Owen died last week...

I don't know much about it, but many here will remember Peter A Owen Tyres at Brookvale, and they'll naturally remember him racing in his TVR Grantura, into which he also bolted KB a number of times to show what it was really capable of.

I don't know if Kevin will read this thread, but I hope he does. He would have many memories of Pedro and could tell us much.

#21 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:57

George Grinzewitsch of Sacramento has passed away:

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/337997.html

Vince H.

#22 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 19:15

Philippe MAILLARD BRUNE the oldest french driver passed away monday 27 August 2007 in Neuilly hospital...

:(

#23 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,392 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 21:19

Originally posted by Haine Kane
Philippe MAILLARD BRUNE the oldest french driver passed away monday 27 August 2007 in Neuilly hospital...

In fact he was already "mentioned in passing"...

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:46

Mentioned already in the Catalina Park thread... but better mentioned here...

Barry Jackson, Brian Muir's Best Man and flatmate at Raymond Road, his ever-helpful gopher and helper with his cars here in Australia died yesterday.

I don't know any detail other than that, but I have fond memories of times with the people among whom Barry lived. Especially Brian Muir, but he fitted in well with Johnny Martin and the other North Shore racers too.

And he was a mate of Max Stahl's, which is where I got the sad news...

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 23:11

Fortunately, this thread has been in hiding for over three months...

However, the passing in the past couple of days some time of Bill Ford sees it come out again.

Bill was one of Frank Kleinig's apprentices and I was astounded to hear just a few years ago how he was still driving a truck loaded with furniture from Coffs Harbour to Sydney two or three times a week. In his eighties! His son was in financial trouble and this was one way Bill could help out.

Apparently he was unwell over the past four or five months and succumbed this week... 87 years old and a grand old man.

Bill took up racing in the forties, having the ex-Les Burrows Hudson Special. He ran this car in a couple of different forms, aided and abetted by Geoff McGrath, right through until the late fifties. About 1949 it became the 'Petticoat Special' with the lightweight fabric single seater body they put on it. He also won his class in the first rendition of the '500' at Bathurst in a VW, IIRC, and was perennially the Clerk of the Course at Bathurst, hustling new cars provided by car dealers etc for that purpose around the mountain quicker than a lot of competitors were driving.

I'm sure I recall seeing him passing some of these cars during the first lap of a race as he followed the grid away for the first lap (now what was that about?).

Damon Beck tells me the funeral is on Monday...

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 00:30

Jack Bono was a Volkswagen man... and entered racing in Formula Vee at a stage in life most drivers might be more inclined to give it up...

He then surprised many by moving into ANF2... 1600cc 'free design' 2-valve racing cars that were very popular and competitive at that time. He bought an Elfin 600 and raced it widely.

Later he went into other fields and left motor racing behind. A couple of weeks ago he left us all behind, dying a very fulfilled man in his mid-eighties.

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 20:59

When it comes to motor racing photographers, head and shoulders above most was Byron Gunther...

When he went to the speedway Saturday nights during the thirties he took just one flashbulb. It was all he could afford... but every time he used one of these precious bulbs he came up with a great photo.

Byron had an eye for the spectacular, for the frame in which the cars would fit, and an ability to get plenty out of his negatives when he went into the darkroom. He went looking for motor racing, probably being predisposed toward this as he lived his very early years with his uncle, Phil Garlick. When Garlick died at Maroubra Speedway, he lost a lot of life's opportunities, but through the depression he showed he was made of the stuff that creates its own opportunities.

He went to the first Bathurst, perhaps some time I should tell the phone box story? He went to Bathurst many times and his images create much of the best of what we have left of those times.

Posted Image

This week he has joined so many of his photo subjects, passing away in his 89th year.

#28 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 21:37

Ray, thanks for this wonderful thread!

Henry

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 16:08

92-year old Jim Robson is alone tonight...

His well-known wife, Paddy Robson succumbed to a tumor on her lung only a few weeks after learning of its presence.

Jim and Paddy will always be remembered for their decades of custodianship of Silverdale Hillclimb. They had rescued the hill by selling their very nice home and purchasing the property on which it stood. They moved into the very basic accommodations there and took the long commute to their printing business in their stride while operating the hillclimb.

http://www.clubvw.or..._silverdale.jpg

I remember one day arriving their to find they had a cockatoo with no feathers they had taken in to protect and feed. The cockatoo had apparently eaten seed from a crop which had been sprayed with some kind of poison and the impact was to denude the poor bird. Paddy took the primary role in looking after the bird, it seemed, but she and Jim were partners in business and in life.

Eventually they sold the property and moved to Tasmania. I gather they were enjoying their retirement in their new home, but still kept apace with motor sport and continued to keep that as a part of their lives.

To my friend Jim, my sincere condolences on your loss. I know this night down by the D'Entrecasteaux Channel will be even colder for you with Paddy's passing, but I assure you that there is warmth in the thoughts of Paddy's many friends in the sport.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:54

Last night I learned that Ian Fergusson had died... a brain tumor either last Tuesday or the previous Tuesday...

He had been invited to the Tasman Revival meeting, his wife phoned and explained that he couldn't be there. He was there last time and I'm glad I had a few words with him... a great enthusiast, competed in openwheelers for many years, suffered an horrendous crash at Catalina and still came back.

Never a front-runner, but raced frequently in cars like the IRM Holden, the Lotus 27 and the Bowin P3.

#31 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 23:05

Just because I stumbled across this pic yesterday:

Posted Image

Ian Fergusson and his wife enjoy a few pleasantries with Leo Geoghegan (left) at the 2006 Tasman Revival.

#32 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 21:24

Ray, there is no better word than devotion! :up:

I understand why an individual sometimes must move certain agenda's forward and you are doing a great job.

Perhaps passion is another word that may come forward from other individuals reading this thread.

Everyone will remember the headliners, but what about the others?

I would challenge every TNF member to take on a project away from what is already known. By doing so that project will be remembered and documented. We do a lot of talking here but concrete and granite are much more in place than words. :blush:

Thanks Again,
Henry

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 00:00

Thank you, Henry...

Though some would call it fanaticism.

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 22:55

One of my favourite John Ellacott pics:

Posted Image

Arnold Glass came back to Australia during 2008 knowing he was dying. Reports from his close friend and fellow car-dealer, Denis Geary, kept others informed of his plight. He succumbed on January 9 at the age of 82.

His wealth, which supported a nice lifestyle in Monaco in his latter years as well as some racing in very expensive racing cars as he grew into old age, came from Capitol Motors.

This began as a used motorcycle shop in the inner city of Sydney, but grew to become a huge Nissan distributorship (not just a dealership) on Parramatta Road at Auburn/Lidcombe. He was also the distributor for BMW when they became serious about the Australian market.

Racing in the fifties and sixties saw him in some good machinery, but not often good enough to collar memorable wins. He is said to have driven his Maserati 250F very well by some who saw him, but generally he was no more than an also-ran in the Squalo, the Maser, a Cooper Maserati and a rear engined BRM. Even the 1.5-litre Lotus 27 that became his last serious racing car wasn't often a winner and certainly wasn't on the same pace as Leo Geoghegan's similar car. More of this is detailed in this thread:

http://forums.autosp...threadid=105139

Known variously as Trinkets and Carnal Arnold, he was one of those true characters of the era in which racing changed so much. Known as something of a gentleman by his contemporaries, he was probably most at home with those of his own ilk... car dealers.

#35 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 00:53

Arthur Collett, who raced in Western Australia in the immediate postwar years, and was riding mechanic to Jack Macintosh in a Morgan at Dowerin in the late 30s, has died at the age of 96.

Arthur's racing mount was his new MG TC, which wore the number 17. In the style of the time, it was steadily hotted up, stripped for lightness, and finally supercharged. His major success was the 1949 Great Southern Flying Fifty at Narrogin in 1949.

When the MG became uncompetitive, Arthur scaled back his racing, but was active for years in the W A Sporting Car Club while establishing Arthur Collett Adverising, a successful advertising agency. He became a Porsche man (first a 912, then a 911S) and persuaded visiting Austrian geologist Fritz Kohout to enter his Porsche 911S in the 1968 Six Hour Le Mans at Caversham. Listed as a co-driver, Arthur never got behind the wheel as Fritz was having so much fun, taking a debut win in driving rain.

When he retired, Arthur sold the advertising agency and took an interest in an art gallery. At the age of 89 he bought a new MG F, and was seen driving it around his semi-rural neighbourhood for several years.

Below: Arthur at Narrogin, 1949.

Posted Image

#36 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:48

Received this yesterday, concerning Ray Rairdon of Seattle:

"Dear Vince:

It is with deep sadness that I have to report to you that Ray died on Feb. 4. He would have been 83 last Saturday.

I just noticed the email regarding the Westwood 50th celebration, and thought that the news might not have reached you at this point. I felt you would want to know. There will be no services at his request. His son and I will scatter his ashes over Puget Sound, later in the spring.

We had talked about possibly trying to come up for the 50th!

Sincerely,
Melissa Miller"

- served in WWII, mainly in Aleutians
- late 40s, early 50s, oval tracks (including Seattle's Aurora Speedway) in roadsters
- 50s, MGTD, MGTF, TR2, Cad-Allard, Mercedes Benz 300SL
- 1960, SCCA national championship races in Corvette; won at Cumberland (after Ferrari disqualified!), ahead of Bob Johnson, Harold Keck, Frank Dominianni, and Don Yenko, all in Corvettes (no slouches!); leading points till backer pulled plug mid-season
- 1961, DNF at Sebring with John Kilborn in Yenko Corvette
- 1961-62 Cad-Allard, HWM-Chev

Posted Image

Ray in Corvette at the Westwood International 200, July 23, 1960. He and Don Campbell finished 2nd OA and first in class.

Posted Image

Ray at Pacific Northwest Historics (Martin Rudow's book launch), Pacific Raceways, Kent, Washington, July, 2008

Vince H.

#37 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:55

More on Ray Rairdon at these links:

http://www.yachtworld.com/rrys/ (they didn't quite get the car racing part right)

and here http://www.tradeonly...esman-dies.html

Vince H.

#38 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:34

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Arthur Collett, who raced in Western Australia in the immediate postwar years, and was riding mechanic to Jack Macintosh in a Morgan at Dowerin in the late 30s, has died at the age of 96.

Arthur's racing mount was his new MG TC, which wore the number 17. In the style of the time, it was steadily hotted up, stripped for lightness, and finally supercharged. His major success was the 1949 Great Southern Flying Fifty at Narrogin in 1949.

When the MG became uncompetitive, Arthur scaled back his racing, but was active for years in the W A Sporting Car Club while establishing Arthur Collett Adverising, a successful advertising agency. He became a Porsche man (first a 912, then a 911S) and persuaded visiting Austrian geologist Fritz Kohout to enter his Porsche 911S in the 1968 Six Hour Le Mans at Caversham. Listed as a co-driver, Arthur never got behind the wheel as Fritz was having so much fun, taking a debut win in driving rain.

When he retired, Arthur sold the advertising agency and took an interest in an art gallery. At the age of 89 he bought a new MG F, and was seen driving it around his semi-rural neighbourhood for several years.

Below: Arthur at Narrogin, 1949.

Posted Image

Terry, thats quite possibly Arthurs wife Junie beside him, who passed away around 20 years ago.

#39 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:17

June Mildred Collett, of Lesmurdie, died 1992 aged 72.

I guessed the lady in the car was his wife, but didn't know her name. Thanks GTB-4.

Advertisement

#40 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:45

Originally posted by Terry Walker
June Mildred Collett, of Lesmurdie, died 1992 aged 72.

I guessed the lady in the car was his wife, but didn't know her name. Thanks GTB-4.

Thank the Pres of the local MGCC, in any event, Junie was an attractive lady :)

#41 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 00:24

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
More on Ray Rairdon at these links:

http://www.yachtworld.com/rrys/ (they didn't quite get the car racing part right)

and here http://www.tradeonly...esman-dies.html

Vince H.

Obituary and guest book here:

http://www.legacy.co...sonId=124128648

Vince H.

#42 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:01

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
Posted Image

Ray at Pacific Northwest Historics (Martin Rudow's book launch), Pacific Raceways, Kent, Washington, July, 2008

Vince H.

From Melissa Miller:

"Dear Vince:

Thank you so much for such a heartfelt note, and the responses from others. They all meant so much to Ray. Those pictures are a treasure, and I am so happy to have them.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness. And, yes, that is me in the white jacket behind Ray.

Love,
Melissa"

#43 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:38

This from Martin Rudow on Ray Rairdon

Vince H.

"Hi VInce. We have placed a reprint of a feature article Ray did for VIntage Drift which covered his career. Please refer anyone to it that you think would enjoy it. It a really good article, written by Ray himself.

The article can be found at:

http://www.rspubs.co...ntage_Drift.htm

--Martin"

#44 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 21:24

Edit..

Moved to Mentioned in Passing

#45 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 21:26

Miller...Austin Wellesley (Aussie)

Sep 16 1923----Mar 22 2009

Austin passed away at Mortlake in Victoria.

Condolences to Guy and Families

#46 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 22:45

Austin Miller is someone about whom I know very little...

He stopped racing just before I started spectating and reading about it, so my knowledge of him is basically headline stuff. Putting a Chev V8 in a Cooper was brave at the time he did it, so he must get some plaudits for that... and I'm sure John Ellacott will post an appropriate photo of him that shows him exhibiting further bravery.

To make a name for himself racing against the likes of Patto and Alec Mildren puts him into a special class.

#47 Derek Pitt

Derek Pitt

• 296 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:15

What sad news

Austin Miller was a gentleman and fine racing driver.

In 1960 in his 2.2 T51 Cooper, he flowered and he took the fight right up to Bill Patterson, often leaving the still-improving Stillwell trailing.

I have made the point in another thread, Austin Miller, due to the destruction of our motor racing heritge, is now largely forgotten, but I for one, salute him and cherish the memory of the yellow Cooper brakes locked, sliding into Lanes Corner at the 'Island in his determined pursuit of the flying Patto.

May he rest in peace....

Derek Pitt

#48 eskimut

eskimut

• 72 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:02

What sad news

Austin Miller was a gentleman and fine racing driver.

In 1960 in his 2.2 T51 Cooper, he flowered and he took the fight right up to Bill Patterson, often leaving the still-improving Stillwell trailing.

I have made the point in another thread, Austin Miller, due to the destruction of our motor racing heritge, is now largely forgotten, but I for one, salute him and cherish the memory of the yellow Cooper brakes locked, sliding into Lanes Corner at the 'Island in his determined pursuit of the flying Patto.

May he rest in peace....

Derek Pitt

#49 Great Zapper

Great Zapper

• 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:55

My great uncle, Peter Cooper, second in the 1954 RAC rally and later on MSA Chief Executive, died peacefully on Saturday.

A lovely chap, if a bit of a rogue sometimes... I never really got him to sit down and talk about all his scurrilous memories of a golden age, which I regret now, but it was always good to chat with him about racing stuff.

#50 Guy Miller

Guy Miller

• 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:21

Hi Gents

On behalf of the Miller family I would like to thank you all for your kind words and reccolections of Aussie in his racing days. He was put to rest on Tuesday with an excellent gathering of friends and family and with the fly past of two Stearman radial engined aircraft. A fitting way to end a remarkable life

Best Regards

Guy Miller