• 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:46

HEARD ON THE GRAPEVINE RAY LINTOTT HAS JUST PASSED AWAY AFTER ILLNESS

Advertisement

#202 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:32

He hasn't looked a picture of fitness for many years, but he's still been out there... at the Adelaide Millenium race he was bathed in sweat after a fairly short stints, he couldn't stay in the car long...

Good guy, Ray. Hope it's not true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#203 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:49

He hasn't looked a picture of fitness for many years, but he's still been out there... at the Adelaide Millenium race he was bathed in sweat after a fairly short stints, he couldn't stay in the car long...

Good guy, Ray. Hope it's not true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I believe that Ray Lintott died on Sunday after a long battle with cancer according to a good friend of his John Swinfield.

#204 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:34

http://www.onlinetri...Raymond_Lintott

LINTOTT, Raymond John.

Well known car enthusiast and businessman passed away surrounded by his loving wife Penny and children Martin, Amanda and Paige at Southern Highlands Private Hospital on Sunday, September 12, 2010.

A Private Cremation will be held in RAY'S home town of Wagga Wagga on Friday (September 17, 2010), followed by a Memorial Service at the Royal Automobile Club, Macquarie Street, Sydney, on Tuesday (September 21, 2010), at 10.30 a.m.

Our sincerest thanks to the devoted family and friends who helped us look after Ray to the end.

John Bance & Son
Funeral Home
Wagga Wagga 6925 4444

#205 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 21:02

You're right, Roger, and David before you...
As for bowl-in-piston Heron headed engines, these didn't appear in the Ford range until after 'Auntie' had them in the 2000, they emerged in 1968 (possibly late '67?) in phase 2 of the Mk 2 Cortina... the 1300 and 1600cc engines.

Ray and others, my apologies for going OT on such a sensitive thread
You are thinking of the later Kent engines in various guises. The Corsair started with the 1498cc Kent, but in '65 was offered with the new Essex V4 engines, the precursor of the Transit petrol engines. These all had BIP pistons, or "bathtub" combustion chambers as Bolster describes them in his article in Autosport in '65. I know the heads were flat faced and the pistons Heron as the first Corsair which my father had was an early one and they had horrendous pre-ignition problems due to random hot spots on the crown through alleged poor machining, causing massive running-on after switch off. I recall seeing the headless engine and the recessed piston crowns when the Ford dealer was sorting it under warranty.
Roger Lund

#206 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 23:48

My apologies, Roger, I missed this bit:

Originally posted by bradbury west
.....My father had... 2 Corsairs, 1.7ltr and 2.0ltr. The joys of the Heron BIP heads..

The 1.7ltr and 2.0ltr being the point I missed, I was only referring to the inline fours.

Of course, we only ever had V4 engines here in the Transits, and we all knew well enough to stay right away from them! The only person I knew who had one was Clubman racer Quinton Weaver, but there were also plenty of Transits here with Falcon inline sixes in them too... just to add to the diversity from Fraud.

#207 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:35

Died last week, September 28...

Heather Watson, wife of Bob Watson, Australian rally and rallycross drive of more than just some distinction. Heather was born Heather Violet Russell on June 6, 1947.

Heather and Bob had been married 38 years, for the final fifteen or so Heather suffered from a couple of different cancers (breast and finally intestinal) and inspired others with her determination to try to beat them. Just a week before her death she had lunch with her brother, Terry Russell (who also lost his wife to cancer several years ago), and he tells me he had no clue that Heather was in such danger.

I first met Heather at Sandown Park... or probably on the way to Sandown Park... in 1966. She was then freshly engaged to Peter Brock and I had recently met him at Catalina Park. She was full of life and very knowledgeable.

Over the ensuing couple of years, through to their married life (the wedding was on 19th August, 1967), I was in fairly close contact with Peter and therefore often saw Heather. At one time I became aware that Peter's treatment of her was a long way from the kind I'd expect of a gentleman, but she surprisingly took this in her stride and clearly her love for him overcame that. I'm sure she was right there with Peter and Kenny Mitchell as the A30 was being built.

When Peter was taken under Harry Firth's wing and started heading for stardom she also started competing. She drove the family EJ panel van (with a numberplate beginning with 'HTL', which stood for 'Heather's True Love' or 'Heather Tells Lies' depending on who was doing the interpretation) at Calder Rallycross and Harry Firth even put her into a Monaro for those events.

But by this time the marriage was obviously in trouble. Heather was to meet Bob Watson here and in time they would form the solid relationship that endured to her death.

They have one son, Daniel, who has put up a page onBob's website in memory of Heather.

Hit hard by this is Heather's mother, Josie Russell, who I remember from those long-ago days as full of enthusiasm and very generous.

This is something like I remember Heather... I haven't seen her since those days:

Posted Image

I'm sure many here will join me in passing on their condolences to Bob, Daniel and Josie.

Edited by Ray Bell, 07 October 2010 - 01:37.

#208 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:00

Thanks from Kevin Shearer's family
Sometimes it takes a while to catch up with everybody. I only found mention of Dad's passing and your wonderful memories and kind words. For those of you who missed his funeral and gathering at the Sporting Car Club (of course) you missed some great stories. John Medley won't tell you but he shared many laughs, memories and stories with all gathered. Dad would have loved it. It was what Historic racing is about - talking with friends and families with the cars as a distraction. Just to let you know, Clem Smith has kindly offered space on the Mallala anniversary boulder to add a tribute to Dad which will be unveiled at next years 30th Anniversary Easter Mallala.
Many thanks again for your kindness,
Annie on behalf of the Shearer family

Edited by AnnieOz, 11 October 2010 - 09:01.

#209 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:03

Annie, nice to have you here, and it's our pleasure to recognise the greatness of your father...

I last saw him at Speed on Tweed about three or four years ago. I figure I got to see and talk to him a lot less often than I would have liked, but life is like that, he's certainly going to be missed. I will never forget that night he took me out into his shed and showed me the abundance of various bits and pieces you simply wouldn't expect to find in a shed in Cherryville.

And now I'm told George Murray has departed too...

George was the man at the helm of Oran Park in its formative years, and at the helm of that Austin Special that he drove so forcefully. One of the few people who can look back and count himself as one of Frank Matich's co-drivers (Bathurst in a Renault 8!), he probably never showed all of his driving talent.

Not sure how old he was, but he'd been ill for a long time.

#210 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,584 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 14:31

I'm saddened to report that earlier this afternoon at Baskerville I learned from James Curran that his Dad, Bob Curran has passed away earlier in the week. Condolences to the whole family James.

I'm sorry that your Dad wasn't able to make it to one last race meeting.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 02 November 2010 - 06:32.

#211 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 19:58

I believe John Sexton passed away last week. As well as being a racer from the Warwick Farm days in a Lotus Super Seven he was well known as the editor of the HSRCA's Oily Rag magazine for many years. I will never forget the happy time he had at Phillip Island Historics earlier this year knowing he was living on borrowed time.

#212 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:16

Friday night, John tells me Dick...

Very sad news. He walked into Westmead Hospital and had some tests, got the bad news and departed the scene within days. Of course, he has had problems for a couple of years and it's yet another reminder of how fortunate we are to still be around.

Max has just informed me he's heard from Fred Vogel that the service will be at Asquith on Friday at 11:30am. I'll check later exactly where it will be held.

#213 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:54

Ray, the HSRCA have advised today that the funeral will be held on Friday Nov. 5th at 11 am at St Patricks Church, Asquith, cnr. Royston Pde and Baldwin Ave, Asquith. Thence to Frenchs Forest Bushland Cemetary, 1 Hakea Ave, Davidson and the wake at the Belrose Bowling Club, 146 Forest Way, Belrose. Hope this helps.

#214 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:58

Thanks Dick...

I guess John will be coming to see off his mate, 'The Goat'. And if I can just add, John Sexton was very helpful to Mary Packard in her final term running AARC events.

#215 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:40

John Sexton was a terrific bloke. Sad to hear of his passing.

#216 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,250 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:45

Thats really sad news John was a lovely chap he will be sad missed. talk to him not long ago in" Bunnings" at Carlingford.

#217 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:58

John Sexton was a terrific bloke. Sad to hear of his passing.

Indeed. I once knew John reasonably well but with lives moving in different directions hadn't spoken to him in maybe 40 years. RIP

#218 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 15:32

From Speedtv, John Anderson passes away:

http://auto-racing.s...rewell-to-ando/

#219 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:44

Hello,

Didier BONNET the french contructor of DEBORA is dead the 12 january 2011

R.I.P.

Advertisement

#220 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 16:57

Hello,

Another bad new from France : The dean Pierre LOUIS-DREYFUS passed awad the 15 january 2011 at 102 years old.

R.I.P.

#221 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 21:21

2010 was not a good year for losing friends. Two around Christmas:

1. Warren Blomfield who raced MGTC, DB3S Aston Martin, and Pronta Holden in the 1950s/ early 1960s. A chemist from Bathurst, Warren retired to Terrigal on the NSW coast

2. David Jackson, one of Eastwood Rugby Club's greatest players, a real club stalwart and Sydney Rugby's Player of the Year 1962, was also involved in motor sport-- lapdashes with the Renault Car Club, and co-owner ( with me) in The Flying Morris Austin 40 years ago. Dave was also the patternmaker who produced the patterns for the Mawer lightweight wheels of the early 1970s.

#222 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 21:05

Today I received the (not unexpected) word that Malcolm Biddlecombe has passed on...

I visited him about a year ago in the hospital in Goulburn where Helen kept him daily bedside company. It was clear then that he wasn't going home and though there were some bright spots for him, the ravages of his strokes were painfully clear.

A very generous and helpful man, he rode out the weathers of family life to settle into his huge Truckstop 31 with Helen at his side. They ultimately married and worked and played together.

Not many know, but Mal was a part of the group who helped resurrect Racing Car News back in the mid-eighties. But most do know of his love for old cars. The Day Special being his most prized, but he had still in his possession at the end a few others as well as a '38 Buick sedan.

He and Helen used to also provide snacks and drinks at the end of GEAR days at Wakefield Park, even though he didn't compete.

Someone I'll definitely miss...

#223 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:39

I know nothing about Grahame Wood, but according to his obituary, amongst his many achievements he raced a Cooper Climax T51 that once belonged to Jack Brabham.

Obituary here http://www.smh.com.a...0302-1bery.html

Does anyone here know much about this so called daredevil?

#224 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:19

I raced against him when he had the T51 Cooper. I think the Cooper shown in the pic accompanying the obit is the Clive Osborne low line, probably ex John Youl.

Unmentioned is his involvement with the Brolga ( which has been mentioned on TNF) a fibreglaas closed sports car entered by the Kemproof Plastics mentioned in the obit

#225 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:39

I raced against him when he had the T51 Cooper. I think the Cooper shown in the pic accompanying the obit is the Clive Osborne low line, probably ex John Youl.

Unmentioned is his involvement with the Brolga ( which has been mentioned on TNF) a fibreglaas closed sports car entered by the Kemproof Plastics mentioned in the obit

If you go to "Personal photos Aus etc" August 15th 2010, you'll find my photo,
reproduced on the SMH obituary, without acknowledgement of me or TNF.

Some following posts identified the car & driver, & obviously the writer has googled his way to us,
to get the image & its caption.

I'm pleased to have provided a photo of him enjoying his sport.

#226 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:24

AFAIK his T51 was built from the Noel Hall car, which Jack Brabham never drove
The later (ex-Youl) car was a T55 used by JB in 1961 F1 and, as John Medley says, later raced by Clive Osborne

#227 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:04

Didn't Graham Wood (Grahame Wood?) race the Clive Osborne car?

I associate them in my recollections, but that could be wrong. It was a darkish red, IIRC.

#228 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:05

Yes (see Post 226)

#229 Clark Watson

Clark Watson

• 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:08

Gday Guys,
Just wondering if anyone in the Nostalgia community has any pics of Kenny Mitchell in a shoe box under the bed?
Ken's Family will be scattering his ashes on Saturday 28th at the Winton Historics after racing has ceased for the day,
we of course will be displaying his Milano in the pits and would love to get a photo board together to display along with his car.
Any photos of Kenny would be welcome ,from his days with brocky in the austin or just standing around having a beer and a chat.

Thanks Chaps!
Clark Watson
Vintage Fibre Restorations
www.vfr.net.au

#230 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 23:53

Just received a very brief message that Graham Slater passed away on Thursday evening in hospital.

Graham was a former contributor to Racing Car News, wrote the 'Mainly Melbourne' column during the 80's. In those days he had a Zephyr Appendix J car. Over the last (approximately) 15 years he ran a genuine Torana XU1 (most of those now raced are replicas) with his son, Scott in the now renamed Historic Touring Cars NC class.

He had been battling cancer over the last few years, but can't yet confirm whether this is what unfortunately took him.

My condolences to his family and all his motor racing friends.

Stephen

#231 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:03

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Those of you involved in Historic racing in Australia and the International White Mouse Stable will be saddened to hear of the passing of Philip Brady. Philip died from complications of pneumonia on Tuesday June 14. A large gathering of friends to celebrate his life was held on Sunday 19th.

Philip will long be remembered for his exploits in the Bira/Brady K3, which is in the safe hands of John Gillett. As you can imagine, family and friends were stunned at this news. We had all been looking forward to him rejoining the game in the Bedmore!

Annie, on behalf of family and friends here in Adealide

#232 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,942 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:14

Thank you AnnieOz, Phil was a good man. I will long remember the short and passionate address he gave to the MG Car Club of South Australia on the occasion of his announcing that he was selling his beloved K3.

Here is a link to an article he wrote some years ago on his K3.

RIP, Phil.

#233 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:26

Wenesday 1st July died Louis ROSIER Jr at the age of 86.

He win the 24 hous of LE MANS in 1950 with his father Louis ROSIER Sr.

R.I.P.

#234 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 18:28

Wenesday 1st July died Louis ROSIER Jr at the age of 86.

He win the 24 hous of LE MANS in 1950 with his father Louis ROSIER Sr.

R.I.P.

Very sorry to hear this. I contacted Louis Rosier, Jr. a few years ago for his autograph and he very kindly sent me a long letter and many photos. I now have a nice collection of Rosier models (Sr and Jr), photos, and the Rosier book. He is another that I would have liked to have met in person.

From Claire Rosier:

"Madame, Monsieur,

Comme vous communiquiez régulièrement avec mon père Louis ROSIER
j'ai la triste mission de vous faire part de son décès le 01 juillet.

La cérémonie religieuse ainsi que l'enterrement auront lieu
le mardi 05 juillet en l'église d'Orcines à 10H30 (Puy de Dôme).

Avec mes sincères salutations,
Claire ROSIER"

English translation - "...As you communicated regularly with my father Louis Rosier I have the sad mission of informing you of his death on July 1. Religious ceremony burial will take place on Tuesday July 5 in the church Orcines with 10:30 (Puy de Dôme). With my sincere greetings,..."

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 05 July 2011 - 02:22.

#235 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:35

Posted Image

Le Mans 1949, Rosier père et fils, Talbot T150C no 82930, La Une du journal France-soir

Posted Image

Le Mans 1952, Rosier père et fils

Posted Image

24 Heures du Mans 1954, Talbot 110055 carossée en barquette par Dugarreau.
Mon père et debout à l'extrême gauche de la photo. A côté de lui, c'est mon équipier Pierre Meyrat. Je suis au volant de la voiture. (My father is standing to the extreme left of the photo. Beside him is my teammate Pierre Meyrat. I am at the wheel of the car)

Notes by Louis Rosier, Jr.

Vince H.

#236 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:08

Sad though Ken Mitchell's passing may be, his brothers, wife, friends etc assembled at Winton to distribute his ashes(according to his wishes) at last month's historic race meeting. It was windy as evening closed in. A group of us was on the starting grid with original laprecording holding Faux Pas and its original laprecordholding driver Barry Stilo and current custodian David Reid. We found our photo session, 50 years since Barry Stilo held the lap record, clashed with the distribution of Ken's ashes -- and we missed all the action: I choose not to remember which one of the ashes-distribution party came by us on the starting grid and said " That Kenny! Because of the breeze he WOULD NOT get out of the car ---- every time we threw him out he jumped back in". Ken would have loved it.

#237 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:20

I am one of many who will miss Phil Bradey. Thank you Annie for advising us on this forum( it has not been a good year for our South Australian friends). When I first raced in South Australia 40 years ago I stayed with the Bradey family in Adelaide and Peter, Phillip's father, stayed with us in Sydney when he raced the MGK3 at the first AllHistoric Amaroo meeting-- and also when his longsuffering Toyota light truck carried a whole dyno bought in Sydney back to South Australia. Phillip was a chubby blonde boy then, as he was at Phillip Island in 1978-- a long call from the man who wept at Lobethal 2009 at the thought of selling the MGK3 which had been in the family so long. It is my view that Phillip did the MGK3 justice, in Australia and overseas. The noise through the Adelaide hills will never be the same again.

Vale Phillip

My condolences to all the Bradeys and all the friends.

#238 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 237 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 15:38

The Austrian rallye-driver Andreas Waldherr, died yesterday.

http://translate.goo...e...&prmd=ivnso

#239 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:20

Hardly news, but this seems as good a place as any to put it. It may have been in the specialist press at the time, but no harm in putting down a marker here.

Just uncovered the death date - and full name - of Lieutenant Torin, whose road-modified ex-Nuvolari Maserati 8C-3000 was expected to be part of the Road Car Challenge at Brooklands in 1939. I know Ted Walker has a picture of Torin and WB at Brooklands in the car - in somewhat inclement weather!

According to The Times, October 5th 1942, Lt Harry Ernest Richard Torin DSC, RN & FAA died on active service at Perth on September 30th 1942. He left a widow and an infant daughter. Haven't found a birth date though.

Advertisement

#240 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:41

According to The Times, October 5th 1942, Lt Harry Ernest Richard Torin DSC, RN & FAA died on active service at Perth on September 30th 1942. He left a widow and an infant daughter. Haven't found a birth date though.

Perhaps he was the Harry E TORIN whose birth was registered in Malling registration distrct (Kent) in the 2nd quarter of 1912 (mother's maiden name MARTIN).

#241 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:03

That looks more like our man, Geoff

I think Ted Walker met him - or knows a man who did - and I don't think he'd remember much from 1942...

#242 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:16

Perhaps he was the Harry E TORIN whose birth was registered in Malling registration distrct (Kent) in the 2nd quarter of 1912 (mother's maiden name MARTIN).

Looks about right. There are several references to him in the London Gazette from 1935 on - postings etc - and he seems to have spent quite some time on attachment to the RAF. Not sure how usual that is for a Fleet Air Arm man, but his RN postings tend to be to stone frigates, so perhaps he wasn't an operational flier (although you don't usually get a DSC for flying a desk!).

#243 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:27

The Times for 27 May 1946 has a "birthday remembrance" from his widow - so perhaps we now have his date of birth - 27 May 1912.

#244 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:55

Found his DSC - for service in the Norwegian campaign in 1940. Gazetted in issue 34845, page 2785. Although his RN rank was still given as lieutenant, there's an RAF promotion for him from Flying Officer to Flight Lieutenant in 1938. (34548 page 5679).

#245 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 13:11

As the DSC was gazetted on May 7th, it must be for an action early in the campaign: maybe the sinking of the Koenigsberg at Bergen on April 10th by Skuas of 800 and 803 squadrons FAA?

#246 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 23:05

Looks to definitely be the one. CWGC give his age at death as 30.

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=2458012

HMS Jackdaw was actually RNAS Crail. Today, it's Crail Raceway and Drag Strip:

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/

#247 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:44

this seems as good a place as any to put it.

This would be a better place. :wave:

#248 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,258 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:52

This would be a better place. :wave:

From information gathered elsewhere, it appears probably not, Reinhard. According to his death certificate he died at an address in Perth from a gunshot to the head: a naval history website says it was an accident. I suspect there's a story there, but possibly not a very nice one. "Died on active service" signifies only that he was a serviceman when he died and would cover (for example) disease or road accidents - as opposed to "killed in action", which is self-explanatory.

#249 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:49

Former South African sportscar champion, Dr. Dawie Gous, died on 10 July. He was 84 years old. Remarkable that he still saw some of his patients the day before he passed away:

http://www.looklocal...ian-passes-away

#250 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:48

The thread doesn't rest for long, does it?

Tonight I was advised that the infectiously friendly Ian Pope was cremated today. He died on Friday, July 29 after about five weeks or so in hospital with some form of cancer.

He's had a lifelong battle with the disease, basically. In 1966 he used Bob Holden's mother's Peugeot 403 to tow the Lolita BMC (Mk 1) from Longford to Sydney. I had been looking for a lift home from the ferry and Bob Holden directed me to Ian, who would have otherwise travelled alone.

We came up the Olympic Way and across the mountains into Richmond, and he was keen to find a toilet as we approached Windsor, I directed him to the showground where he hastily went. A while later he called me over, he'd had what might be called 'an accident' due to a lack of control of his bowels and asked me to get his suitcase from the car so he could get changed for the balance of the trip home.

Remember, I was only a kid at this time, just 19, and though he wasn't all that much older he obviously realised I wasn't aware of this kind of problem. He explained that he was going to have it 'fixed' soon, and a few months later he came up to me in the pits at another race meeting and told me he'd had the operation and was wearing a bag.

So it goes back that far and it finally claimed him. Like I said, an infectiously friendly person, quietly spoken and genuinely nice to people of all kinds. He was happy to be racing the Lolita over the past decades in Historics and took it to Winton just before his final bout of illness beset him.

While I leave it to John Medley to detail things at that point, I want to say that Ian will always be one of those people we will remember fondly. We might not 'miss' him as we would someone more outgoing or gregarious, but when we reflect and realise he's simply not there it will be with a genuine sadness for a man who surely deserved more of life.

I don't believe I ever met his wife, but I do want to convey to her my most sincere condolences.